Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab's Builds! (Timber Wolf! Cosmic Boy! Kid Quantum! Karate Kid!

Post by KorokoMystia »

Could he theoretically use his plant growth powers in an offensive way, say, carrying seeds around, and then making a huge tree grow beneath a bad guy's feet? I dunno.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

With that power set, could also be really nasty if he could accelerate much smaller plants, like gut flora.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Aaron William's (the guy who made Nodwick) has a "super-hero elementary school" comic called PS238, which is your typical trope-laden superhero training academy story... That puts almost all its focus on the kids that don't have the sort of powers that would let them go into the Danger Room or tussle with super-villains.

Children in the Rainmaker program are all in possession of powers that are pretty much useless when it comes to things like fighting crime or saving the world. However, the purpose of the program is to give them an opportunity to explore using their powers in the private sector. A perfect example is a kid who can make any object as edible and nutritious (and tasty) as he wants; he won't be fighting any super-villains any time soon, but several restaurant chains are already lined up to headhunt him. Not to mention the job offers from Hollywood for the one who can change the distribution of body fat in people. The program is named for the first such student in the system. A kid who could make it start to rain (or stop raining) whenever he wanted... That was it. No hurricane winds to knock out getaway cars, no throwing lightning strikes at bank robbers, not even fog to make convenient all concealing shadows to pose dramatically in. Just rain. Not much military or crime-fighting use, but hella useful in other ways.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

On the topic of kids with with powers that don't have a lot of battlefield use, but have use elsewhere..Anybody remember Sky High? I do remember that the sidekicks with supposedly "useless" powers (like turning into a gerbil) being made useful towards the end.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Sky High was basically PS 238: The Motion Picture, only not as well-written and with a completely age-shifted cast. So, yeah, PS 238: The Motion Picture.
Jabroniville

Polar Boy

Post by Jabroniville »

POLAR BOY (Brek Bannin)
Created By:
Edmond Hamilton & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #306 (March 1963)
Home Planet: Tharr
Origin of Powers: Racial Abilities
Eras: All Three (Led Subs in first two, a Wanderer in Threeboot)
Relationships: None
Role: Joke Hero, Joke-Turned-Serious Character
PL 9 (120)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+5)
Insight 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 5 (+6)
Ranged Attack (Ice) 2 (+8)
Technology 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Legion Gear), Inspire, Leadership, Ranged Attack 3, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Tharrian Physiology"
"Ice Bonds" Snare 9 (Feats: Reversible) (28) -- [32]
  • AE: Create Ice 7 (Feats: Innate, Precise) (Extras: Continuous) (23)
  • AE: "Ice Slick" Affliction 9 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (9)
  • AE: "Ice Slick" Affliction 9 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (9)
  • AE: Environment 5 (500 feet) (Impede Movement, Extreme Cold 2) (15)
Immunity 5 (Heat Damage) [5]
Movement 1 (Sure-Footed) [2]

Equipment:
"Legion Gear"
"Telepathic Ear Plug" Comprehend 3 (Languages) (6)

"Legion Flight Ring"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Vacuum, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation 2) (7)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) (2)
Communication 5 (Flaws: Fifth Rank is only towards Legionnaires) (18)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Ice Bonds +8 (+9 Ranged Affliction, DC 19)
Ice Slicks +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications: 
Reputation (Weak Hero)- Though fairly competent eventually, being leader of the Substitute Heroes ain't exactly an elite gig.
Responsibility (Over-Eager Kid)- Polar Boy is often a bit over-enthusiastic, and his short stature makes him look a bit silly. People often don't treat him seriously.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 11 (120)

-Polar Boy was the leader of the Legion of Substitute Heroes for YEARS in the comics, never quite making the grade (he lacked a lot of control over his powers), but having just enough talent to lead his own squad. His people have the natural ability to create cold, having grown up on a desert world. However, they FINALLY took a chance on him Post-Crisis, giving him proper Legion membership after he proved himself on many "Sub" missions. He did very well for himself, dropping the goofy Mega Man 1 Ice Man outfit for something a little more state-of-the-art (for the '80s anyways... all reflective metal body-bands look kinda silly now), and he even got elected to LEADERSHIP once. It was a pretty generic run as leader, to be sure (well, half the Legion has been leader at LEAST once), but he at least made it. He was often depicted as shorter than the other Legionnaires, and being a bit of an over-eager rookie.

-The "Reboot" era saw a renewed Substitute Legion, again led by Polar Boy, but they didn't get up to much. He appeared in "Threeboot" as a member of The Wanderers, where his powers were described as "slowing molecular movement". Modern times saw him tortured on an alien world, and creating an arm out of ice to replace the one he lost to his captors.

-A pretty minor guy, Polar Boy was nonetheless fairly effective, especially as a team player, and his stats reflect that. A low-pointed PL 9, he's got Environmental powers, Area Trip, Snare and Ice Creation, all of which are good powers for a guy who's supposed to be back-up to the powerhouses on a super-team. Not as much glory, sure, but it's effective- think of him as as weaker, mini-Bobby Drake. As a Tharrian, his people have a natural system of fighting the terrible heat, so he gets Immunity as well, and I figured he'd also get Sure-Footed. Sadly, being such a short guy for so long means he's physically weaker than all the other non-bug male Legionnaires.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 25, 2022 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

KorokoMystia wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:13 pm On the topic of kids with with powers that don't have a lot of battlefield use, but have use elsewhere..Anybody remember Sky High? I do remember that the sidekicks with supposedly "useless" powers (like turning into a gerbil) being made useful towards the end.
Didn't the Commander have an ego the size of a planet?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:43 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:13 pm On the topic of kids with with powers that don't have a lot of battlefield use, but have use elsewhere..Anybody remember Sky High? I do remember that the sidekicks with supposedly "useless" powers (like turning into a gerbil) being made useful towards the end.
Didn't the Commander have an ego the size of a planet?
Nah, that was just Kurt Russell being Kurt Russell.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

While my memory of the movie is really fuzzy, I do remember the segregation between "heroes" and "sidekicks". That's just asking for cliques to form.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Ares wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 pm Yeah, it's one of those things where his power isn't great for a superhero, but could you imagine what he could do for farmers? Or helping people grow vegetables in impoverished areas? Or like Woodclaw mentioned, disaster relieve areas? Just toss some apple seeds on the ground and BAM, instant orchard with enough food for all of the refuges.

It's just that being a superhero is flashy, cool and gets you girls. So it makes sense for a kid to want to do that over going help grow food in a desert.
Between all of these superhero teams or uber rich heroes, you would think one of them would set up an organization based off of getting the non-combat powers used to help people in other ways. Like you said, it's not as flashy as regular superheroics, but still you'd think it's something that would at least be mentioned more in superhero stories.
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:59 pm Aaron William's (the guy who made Nodwick) has a "super-hero elementary school" comic called PS238, which is your typical trope-laden superhero training academy story... That puts almost all its focus on the kids that don't have the sort of powers that would let them go into the Danger Room or tussle with super-villains.

Children in the Rainmaker program are all in possession of powers that are pretty much useless when it comes to things like fighting crime or saving the world. However, the purpose of the program is to give them an opportunity to explore using their powers in the private sector. A perfect example is a kid who can make any object as edible and nutritious (and tasty) as he wants; he won't be fighting any super-villains any time soon, but several restaurant chains are already lined up to headhunt him. Not to mention the job offers from Hollywood for the one who can change the distribution of body fat in people. The program is named for the first such student in the system. A kid who could make it start to rain (or stop raining) whenever he wanted... That was it. No hurricane winds to knock out getaway cars, no throwing lightning strikes at bank robbers, not even fog to make convenient all concealing shadows to pose dramatically in. Just rain. Not much military or crime-fighting use, but hella useful in other ways.
Huh, will definitely have to check this out.
Formerly luketheduke86
scc

Re: Stone Boy

Post by scc »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:13 am ImageImage

STONE BOY (Dag Wentin)
Created By:
Edmond Hamilton & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #306 (March 1963)
Home Planet: Zwem
Eras: Original only
Role: Joke Hero
PL 4 (76)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+3)
Insight 5 (+6)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 5 (+6)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Daze (Deception), Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Zwennian Physiology"
"Stone Hibernation Form" (Alternate Form- Activation -1) [-1]
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 11) [19]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) (Flaws: Immobile -2) [8]
Features 2: Increased Mass 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2 (+10 Stone Form), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Weak Hero)- Stone Boy can't even MOVE while using his power. It's a little tough for him to get respect.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 8 (76)

-Stone Boy, another Legion of Substitute Heroes member, is yet another case of classic 1960s "joke superpowers" at work. He's able to turn into an ultra-tough stone statue-- but ONLY a statue. He can't walk, run, scratch his butt or anything else while he's in his form, making him the most useless combatant ever. In fact, the only way he's ever able to help in battle is as a prop- becoming a +4 club or battering ram, or just something to drop on an enemy. Despite this, he actually EARNED Legion membership once, but only thanks to his humility and desire to save innocent lives (he deliberately failed a contest because it might harm other people). He made a couple appearances post-Crisis, but that was it for him until the LOSH cartoon once again showed how goofy his power really was, as he formed his statue self while enemies just harmlessly strode past him.

-The Immunity to Fortitude Effects his Stone Form gives him makes him the most expensive Substitute Hero thus far. He's got that handy -2 Flaw to the Immunity though (since I've discovered that you can't simply apply that flaw to every power), since there's no more "Density" Power to simply add a bunch of powers together. At some point post-Crisis, he gained the ability to move while in Stone Form, becoming a PL 8 character (+10 Toughness, +5 Defense). Still no toughie, but a bit less comical.
Where is this at? I usually apply the flaw to all relevant powers.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I don't remember where, but apparently you shouldn't simply apply a Tiring or similar Flaw to EVERY power, since you can only be tired/immobilized once.
Jabroniville

Double-Header

Post by Jabroniville »

DOUBLE-HEADER (Frenk & Dyvud Retzun)
Created By:
Carey Bates & Dave Cockrum
First Appearance: Superboy #201 (March 1974)
Home Planet: Janus
Eras: Original Only
Role: Joke Hero
PL 3 (35)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Space Hero) 2 (+2)
Perception 3 (+3)
Vehicles 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Second Chance 3 (Visual Dazzles, Perception Checks, Mind Control)

Powers:
"Janusian Physiology"
"Two Heads" Enhanced Perception Skill 4 (+7) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +2

Complications: 
Reputation (Weak Hero)- His only real power is having two heads.

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 5 (35)

-Double Header is a Joke member of the Legion of Substitute Heroes. That's right- A JOKE MEMBER of the LEGION OF SUBSTITUTE HEROES. His species starts as a symbiotic two-headed creature, then splits apart eventually. He's pretty much as dangerous as a baseline Thug, and his powers are useful basically for spotting things more easily, and getting a few extra saves thanks to his two heads. I'm actually pretty proud of coming up with the "Second Chance" idea- all the way back to my 2013 build of Double-Header! However, I've since even ADDED to it, giving him boosts to Perception and Mind Control as well!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed May 25, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Why did Chlorophyll Kid's look change so drastically in those three pics? He was an average teen to athletic teen then overweight teen with the worst costume.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Goldar wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:25 am Why did Chlorophyll Kid's look change so drastically in those three pics? He was an average teen to athletic teen then overweight teen with the worst costume.
Short and unsatisfactory answer: just like the rest of the Legion, he got redesigned by each artist who drew him, and the lattermost (Giffen) had a particular agenda.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."