Jab’s Builds! (Nightmare Creatures/Circus! Lawnmower Man! Metroid!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Wildfire! Dawnstar! Legion Rejects! Nemesis Kid!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:03 am The absolute weirdest thing to happen in the Jimmy Olsen book, in retrospect, is not the occasional Legion-crossover, the weird grab bag of temporary super-powers he gained, or any of the Super-Dickery. None of that is nearly as weird as the idea that Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 was the debut appearance of friggin' Darkseid.
You'd be suprised how often that happens in comics(Sabertooth started out as an Iron Fist/Daredevil,Vermin was a Captain America one-off,etc.),you really would....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:10 am You'd be suprised how often that happens in comics(Sabertooth started out as an Iron Fist/Daredevil,Vermin was a Captain America one-off,etc.),you really would....
Yeah, its just the cognitive dissonance of one of comic-dom's greatest, most epic, ultimate villains making their debut in one of comic-dom's most infamously silly books. Sure, in 1970, the Jimmy Olsen book has started to get written in a more serious way and was basically Jack Kirby's 'The Forever People (But We Have To Keep Jimmy's Name on the Cover)' book. So the actual tone of the story works...

But, let's face it, you hear the name Darkseid, you think "Epic Evil Guy." You hear the name Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen, you think "Superdickery and Bow-Ties."
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:31 am
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:10 am You'd be suprised how often that happens in comics(Sabertooth started out as an Iron Fist/Daredevil,Vermin was a Captain America one-off,etc.),you really would....
Yeah, its just the cognitive dissonance of one of comic-dom's greatest, most epic, ultimate villains making their debut in one of comic-dom's most infamously silly books. Sure, in 1970, the Jimmy Olsen book has started to get written in a more serious way and was basically Jack Kirby's 'The Forever People (But We Have To Keep Jimmy's Name on the Cover)' book. So the actual tone of the story works...

But, let's face it, you hear the name Darkseid, you think "Epic Evil Guy." You hear the name Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen, you think "Superdickery and Bow-Ties."
The backstory I've heard is that Kirby wanted to work on that title, since it was the only one without a regular artist, and Jack, being the guy that he was, didn't want to put someone else out of work. That's why we got all that incongruous stuff on that title. We'd soon be entering an era of comics that had no room for a Jimmy Olsen title anyway, so it's probably for the best.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jack Kirby would have made any comic he touched epic. The man probably could have turned Cathy into a operatic saga of love, betrayal, adventure, and pathos.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

2018 CALGARY COMIC EXPO- PART ONE:
-So yeah, this is like my 8th year of this or whatever, and after seeing the guest lists rise and fall in quality, it's always interesting to see what they got. This year, controversially, "Fan Expo" took over the festivities, which annoyed a lot of people. I don't have much insight into it, but apparently they're notorious for over-charging vendors and requiring high autograph fees. They usually get great Celebrity Guests at the Toronto Expos- Robert Downey Jr. was there one year, I've heard- but this year's was rather low-tier.

* The big news was the early cancellation of Michael J. Fox a few weeks ago- given his health, it's unsurprising, but disappointing, given how they were doing the big Marty/Doc Brown/Biff/Lea Thompson's Character "Joint Pic" and a group panel and all that- now it's just the other three. Though most people I know didn't really WANT to see him, given the kind of shape he's in- my mom was at some jewelry sellers' conference in Vegas where he did the keynote speech, and he's really slurring his words and stuff. Parkinson's is a bitch.

* Probably the biggest name guest, with the longest line, was Jeff Goldblum. A pretty good "get", but not really a headliner (his peak was like 1998). To put it in perspective, his line-up was about 1/18th of what I saw Neil Patrick Harris, Lana Parilla or one of The Doctors get. Now THOSE people commanded lines.

* Chris Jericho came this Sunday, but alas, that's the one day I missed. A lot of "currently active" celebs often have to cancel or show up for a very short period of time. As a Canadian and a top-tier wrestler, I'd imagine he'd draw a crowd.

* Other cancellations where Khary Payton (???) and a Doctor Who actress who holds the record for "Worst Character Ever on The Office".

* It's interesting to look at some celebrities, and see how "normal" they look. Some, like Lana Parilla (the Evil Queen from Once Upon A Time) are otherworldly in their beauty- they barely look real. Liz Vassey 6 years ago was hot as hell, rocking kind of a "MILF" thing. This year, I saw Jennifer Morrison and Adelaide Kane (also Once Upon A Time). Both looked more or less like ordinary people- odd because Kane is GORGEOUS on TV. I chalk it down to her "big features"- she has a semi-prominent nose and really large lips- great for make-up purposes, but in real life just make her look like "that tiny girl at your store". Cute, but not nearly what you see on TV. Morrison, notorious for her stone-faced look and "Resting Bitch Face" on TV, actually smiled a bunch and looked normal. Very, very thin, though. I mean, she's thin by ACTRESS standards.

* Speaking of heavy make-up, the "Cosplay Celebrities" were there. Basically just "Jessica Nigri and some other people with no lines". Every one wearing more make-up than the last, to the point where you couldn't make out someone's real facial features if you tried. Nigri's got some, uh, proportions, though. And despite her career basically being based around Fanservice and boobalicious outfits, her line of fans never consisted of less than 50% females. Legit Cosplay fans, yo.

* Megan Followes never had much of a line, which was a bit surprising, but I guess her Anne of Green Gables run was MANY years ago.

* Curiously, Elijah Wood never had much of a line. Jennifer Morrison's was easily as long. I mean, he hasn't been in anything big in YEARS, but that was a shocker.

* Three Princess Bride actors were there. Wallace Shawn has been to three of these in recent years (Edmonton, Calgary, then Calgary again), I guess joining his castmates again. Chris Sarandon (Humperdink) was there, looking old, and Cary Elwes was behind a curtain for some reason. I mean, are we not supposed to know what he looks like? He's not even the guy everyone remembers from that movie. Seemed a bit excessive and paranoid. Never had much of a line, either. Very, very odd.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen ran for 163 issues over 20 years. Then in 1974 it's name was changed to Superman Family and Supergirl Vol. 1 and Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane were folded into it. It also had the solo Superboy stories since Superboy Vol. 1 had become Superboy starring the Legion of Super-Heroes a few years prior.

Superman Family ran for another 8 years. Jimmy Olsen carried a feature for 28 years; one of the longest runs of any feature that began in the Silver Age. Darkseid was introduced roughly 57% of the way through that 28 years. I don't see anything embarrassing about that.

And Darkseid predated Goody Rickles by a year.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Terrus

Post by Jabroniville »

TERRUS
Created By:
Paul Levitz & Keith Giffen
First Appearance: The Legion of Super-Heroes #2 (Sept. 1984)
Home Planet: Earth
Origin of Powers: Unknown
Eras: Original only
Role: Weird Villain
PL 8 (85)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Expertise (Space Villain) 3 (+3)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Rock) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Earth Control" Move Object 9 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Rock & Minerals) (18) -- [21]
  • AE: "Shape Earth" Transform 6 (Earth to Earth/Mineral to Mineral) (18)
  • AE: Burrowing 5 (5)
  • AE: Rock Blast 8 (16)
"Made of Bugs"
Regeneration 2 [2]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Rock Blast +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Enemy (The Legion of Super-Heroes)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 10 (85)

-A pretty nothing background villain, Terrus never did much but look like a scarecrow and manipulate rock, and set off traps in the big LSH/LSV story. He added nothing else to the battles. Geoff Johns revealed him to be made out of bugs, like Marvel's Swarm, in his Legion of Three Worlds story- a pretty "WTF?" moment, but it's not like the guy was really developed beforehand. I guess Termites & junk can burrow, so it could be justified. It doesn't really change who or what he is, as he appeared to be disabled by an impaling punch.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:50 am Jack Kirby would have made any comic he touched epic. The man probably could have turned Cathy into a operatic saga of love, betrayal, adventure, and pathos.
Think about what he would've done on Archie...... :D
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I didn't know a Flat-Man ever tried out for the Legion.

His lack of useful powers...left him f-l-a-t! :lol:
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Jabroniville

Lightning Lord

Post by Jabroniville »

LIGHTNING LORD (Mekt Ranzz)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Superman #147 (Aug. 1961)
Home Planet: Winath
Origin of Powers: Fought Lightning Monster
Eras: All Three
Role: Mirror Image Villain, Evil Brother
PL 11 (146)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 1 (+4)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Space Villain) 3 (+6)
Insight 1 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Investigation 1 (+4)
Perception 2 (+5)
Technology 2 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Improved Critical (Lightning), Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Taunt

Powers:
"Lightning Powers"
Electrical Aura 10 (40) -- [45]
  • AE: "Lightning Bolt" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (33)
  • AE: Lightning Blast 13 (Feats: Split) (27)
  • AE: Dazzle Visuals 8 (16)
  • AE: "Drain Electricity" Affliction 10 (Tech Skill of Creator; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Machines) (10)
  • AE: "Stun Bolt" Affliction 10 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (20)
Immunity 10 (Electrical Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Lightning Bolt +11 Area (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Lightning Blast +8 (+13 Ranged Damage, DC 28)
Electrical Aura +9 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Drain Electricity/Stun Bolt +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Garth & Ayla Ranzz)- The Legion's Lightning Lad & Lass are Mekt's siblings, and he is insanely-vicious against them, despite wanting them to join him. He alternates between begging them to ally with him, or trying to murder them.
Prejudice (Single Birth)- Babies on Winath are nearly-always born as twins- Mekt's single birth was viewed with great suspicion from Winathians, and it embittered him at a young age, despite his siblings not really caring about it.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 50 / Defenses: 12 (146)

-Mekt Ranzz is your average "Evil Brother" character, sharing the powers of Lightning Lad & Lass, but EEEEEEEEVIL! A dreaded *gasp* SINGLE BIRTH on a planet where twins are the norm, Mekt grew up an outcast, and let it turn him into a bitter, insane dickhead. He gained powers with the rest of his siblings as a result of Lightning Beasts, which only made him a SUPER-dickhead. He would often appear, hoping to get either Lightning Lad or Lass to join him in a life of crime- he was adversarial, yet protective. He's one of the central Legion of Super-Villains members, helping lead the squad that kills Karate Kid. And man, fights between the Lightning Siblings are NASTY- since they're half-Immune to each others' powers, their fights often turn into Electrical Aura-empowered brawls that last round after round of horrible impacts- since none are powerhouses without their powers, they have to wear each other down in wars of attrition. Mekt is revealed to be gay in the Bierbaum LOSH issues, and apparently reforms.

-Mekt turns up in "Reboot", now hating his siblings (he cost Garth his arm), but this time lacking a Legion of Super-Villains- he is beaten when his siblings team up and overload him. He later shows up reformed, working on his parents' farm. In a Superman/Batman comic, he joins the LOSV's other central members, Saturn Queen & Cosmic King, in kidnapping Superman & Batman as children, and turning them into instruments of power that let them take over the world. Reality is finally restored after numerous deaths. Mekt is in "Threeboot" as well, leading a "black ops" group called The Wanderers- he is considered suicidal in this version. In the modern era, he's popped up again, but a story about whether or not he was truly a single birth went nowhere as the Legion books were cancelled.

-Lightning Lord is a VERY good Blaster, but lacks interpersonal skills or anything beyond killing power, and thus turns into a PL 10.5/11 Blaster who's only PL 7 on defense. He's powerful enough to neutralize about three or four Super-Villains' attacks simultaneously when they're acting up and he wants them to shut it, and a bit more dangerous than his already-powerful siblings. Of course, that matters for naught when he only does +6 Damage with his best Blast, and they only do +5, so they have to beat the snot out of each other slowly.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 4:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:49 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:01 am so how much more of the Legion do we have?

because I got Legioned out pages ago
Hahahahahahaha, oh you poor bastard. I don't have these scheduled to end until May 9th. These SOBs have DOZENS of bad guys.

shazbot!
Jabroniville

Sun Emperor

Post by Jabroniville »

SUN EMPEROR (Nigal Douglous)
Created By:
Jerry Siegel & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #63 (Sept. 1962)
Home Planet: Unknown
Origin of Powers: Experimented on by a Brilliant Biochemist
Eras: Original only
Role: Complete Monster, Flying Blaster
PL 11 (162)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+10)
Perception 2 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 2 (+8)
Technology 1 (+2)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Blasts) 2, Improved Initiative 2, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Solar Powered"
Immunity 5 (Solar Damage) [5]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Flame Aura 8 [32]

Flame Blast 14 (Feats: Split) (29) -- [31]
  • AE: "Flame Wave" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (22)
  • AE: "Flame Stream" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (22)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Energy Aura +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Blasts +8 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Flame Area Attacks +11 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +14

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications: 
Motivation (Killing)- Sun Emperor is completely insane, and kills people for fun. He even killed his lover, whom had given him these great powers, and once killed a servant girl for no reason, disgusting even his TEAMMATES.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 80 / Defenses: 12 (162)

-Sun Emperor is crazy and evil, even by the standards of a group of people who call themselves the Legion of SUPER-VILLAINS- at one point, he kisses a servant girl and then BURNS HER TO DEATH just for the sheer hell of it, disgusting even people like Ol-Vir & The Silver Slasher, both of whom are nutcases themselves! In a big group-fight, he manages to draw even with Wildfire for a while, but has little other effect on the story, aside from being one of the more distinctive LSV members- many of them are just guys in suits, while he's a fiery guy with long hair.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

Damn, that is like an 8 out of 10 on the "Willy Pete from Empowered" scale of crazy evil fire-based villain.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I blame a Chemical imbalance somewhere in his body that interacted with the Formula his lover gave him.But,i don't know what he was like beforehand,so....<shrugs non-commitedly>