Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Emerald Empress! Validus! Composite Superman! Computo!)

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:26 pm Actually, I’m thinking he’s wearing hose. His legs are a distinctly different color than his face and hands...

(Still looks like the forbidden love-child of Henry VIII and Klarion the Witch-Boy.)
I agree, those are leggings.

The only problem with the "forbidden love-child of Henry VIII and Klarion" assessment is that wouldn't said child be female? Given Henry's track record.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Re: Mordru

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 pm ImageImage

Dear God, the "Senile Space Viking" look is stupid.

MORDRU (Wrynn)
Created By:
Jim Shooter & Curt Swan

Skills:
Deception 6 (+11)
Expertise (Magic) 20 (+25)
Expertise (History) 5 (+10)
Insight 3 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+11)
Perception 6 (+11)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 4 (+12)
You forgot the Expertise: Showtunes. Even after I reminded you.

I can't be the only one who remembers Mordru's rendition of That's Entertainment (from "The Bandwagon", and later used as the title and theme song for a series of films about musical films) that was the musical finale of the Super Hero Roast (the second episode of Legends of the Superheroes). It was Gabriel Dell, in the "Senile Space Viking" outfit. And in greyface.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Re: Mordru

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:32 pm You forgot the Expertise: Showtunes. Even after I reminded you.

I can't be the only one who remembers Mordru's rendition of That's Entertainment (from "The Bandwagon", and later used as the title and theme song for a series of films about musical films) that was the musical finale of the Super Hero Roast (the second episode of Legends of the Superheroes). It was Gabriel Dell, in the "Senile Space Viking" outfit. And in greyface.

You mean to tell me somebody was WILLING to go on stage with that....Monsterosity on their heads?! :shock:
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:13 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:26 pm Actually, I’m thinking he’s wearing hose. His legs are a distinctly different color than his face and hands...

(Still looks like the forbidden love-child of Henry VIII and Klarion the Witch-Boy.)
I agree, those are leggings.

The only problem with the "forbidden love-child of Henry VIII and Klarion" assessment is that wouldn't said child be female? Given Henry's track record.
Well, if you’re going to bring biology into it, I think the only problem with my “forbidden love-child of Henry VIII and Klarion" might be that they’re both cisgender dudes. Ask your mom, Ken. It’s time you had a talk... 😉

Incidentally, Henry VIII had eleven children and seven of them were male... But five of them were stillborn, miscarriages, or died in infancy; Henry FitzRoy was illegitimate and unacknowledged until 1525; and, King Edward VI had the misfortune of being born after his elder sisters in one of the few countries in medieval Europe with both laws for absolute primogeniture and allowing women to become sovereigns in their own right.

But, yeah, I’ve just totally stepped on your joke didn’t I?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Validus! Composite Superman! Computo! Mordru!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Consarnit- forgot to check what you meant, Ken.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:03 pm Well, if you’re going to bring biology into it, I think the only problem with my “forbidden love-child of Henry VIII and Klarion" might be that they’re both cisgender dudes. Ask your mom, Ken. It’s time you had a talk... 😉

Incidentally, Henry VIII had eleven children and seven of them were male... But five of them were stillborn, miscarriages, or died in infancy; Henry FitzRoy was illegitimate and unacknowledged until 1525; and, King Edward VI had the misfortune of being born after his elder sisters in one of the few countries in medieval Europe with both laws for absolute primogeniture and allowing women to become sovereigns in their own right.

But, yeah, I’ve just totally stepped on your joke didn’t I?
Klarion is magic, and a witch. Anything might be possible.

And don't worry about stepping on the joke. You only just got back. You wouldn't know that it's been only 87 days since Mom died.

Jabroniville

The Blight

Post by Jabroniville »

uhhhh... Emplate much?"

THE BLIGHT
Created By:
Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning & Olivier Coipel
First Appearance: Legion of Super-Heroes Secret Files and Origins #2 (June 1999)
Home Planet: Unknown
Eras: Reboot Only
Role: Race of Evil, World-Devourers

-The Blight are a race of 30th Century beings who combined zombified corpses with technology. The search the galaxy in a quest for immortality (draining worlds into lifeless husks in the process), and generally look kinda like the Borg from Star Trek. The Legion encounter them and destroy the technology which allowed them to teleport across the universe.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Dominators

Post by Jabroniville »

Honor-obsessed, squinty-eyed, buck-toothed yellow guys with big red circles for symbols. Right.

THE DOMINATORS
Created By:
Jim Shooter & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #361 (October 1967)
Home Planet: Earth
Eras: All Three
Role: Evil Alien Geneticists

-The Dominators have shown up a handful of times in DC Comics, but are of pretty variable importance. I at least appreciate the effort in making Non-Human Aliens for once, though they're still rather humanoid. They have yellow skin and red dots on their foreheads, in addition to clawed hands, slanted eyes and long robes, making them look somewhat like Japanese Racial Stereotypes- they were initially LIGHT BLUE, avoiding this, but it was the LATER books that altered them to yellow, which is a bit contrary to my expectations (I was all about to be "OH, THE SIXTIES..."). The red dots on their foreheads actually determine each Dominator's place in their rigid caste system.

-In their debut, they are merely possibly dangerous, but "do not pose an actual threat", as per Wikipedia (the Legion actually help them on a diplomatic mission, while an evil member of their race allies with some other bad guys). The late '70s, however, utilize them as dangerous creatures in an interstellar conflict with the Earth. Keith Giffen & Bill Mantlo used them as the primary race for their Invasion! series, featuring art by an unknown Todd McFarlane. In it, they tried to figure out what was created so many metahumans on DC's Earth, and they set off a "Metagene" in outer space that blanketed the world, giving excuses for a lot of people (including former JLA "Mascot" Snapper Carr) to suddenly show up with powers.

-Later, the Dominator homeworld fell to Starro the Conqueror the only exception was an Admiral who fled to Vril Dox's R.E.B.E.L.S. faction. They then end up as the primary antagonists in Keith Giffen's "Five Years Later" era. Part of the backstory of the Legion of Super-Heroes features Valor (Mon-El) rescuing thousands of humans from genetic experimentation tanks, and sending them to various worlds, such as Bismoll, Cargg and Braal, thus "explaining" why so many aliens with super-powers just look like ordinary Caucasians. And then the Dominators actually CONQUER EARTH in the 30th Century, secretly gaining control of "Earthgov" in the aftermath of a galaxy-wide economic collapse. The Legion disbanded after relentless interference from this Dominator-controlled Earthgov, but the Dominators inadvertently led to the resurrection of the team by having Roxxas murder Blok as a message to the others.

-The Dominators were finally defeated, but at the cost of Earth itself- Giffen BLEW IT UP in his final moments with the team (he gleefully admits later that he only did this because Editorial was too busy and in flux, so they wouldn't notice). They later attempted to take over Daxam, but Glorith wiped out their population (!!!) to prevent this.

-In the "Reboot" era, the Dominion played less of a role, merely being one of the core Affiliated Planets of the new "Dark Circle". In "Threeboot", they appear to attempt to conquer Earth, but are beaten by the Legion and the Wanderers- Mon-El imprisoned them all in the Phantom Zone.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Post by Davies »

This is apparently what the Dominators looked like in their first appearance.

And I'm ashamed to say that I never made the connection between their appearance and WWII propaganda depictions of the Japanese before this.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I wonder what a rebellion would look like on the Dominators planet?

And let's not forget,they created the Super powered Predators to take on the JLA....;)
Jabroniville

Grimbor

Post by Jabroniville »

GRIMBOR THE CHAINMAN (Markx Grimbor)
Created By:
Jim Shooter & Mike Grell
First Appearance: Superboy #221 (Nov. 1978)
Eras: Original & Reboot
Role: Device-Builder
PL 9 (126)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 1 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Technology 7 (+14)
Technology 6 (+20) -- Flaws: Limited to Restraints
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 10 (Captivity-Themed Gear), Inventor, Ranged Attack 6, Skill Mastery (Technology)

Powers:
"That Chain He Always Carries Around" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [3]
"Hit With Chain" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach, Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Improved Disarm) (5 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Chain Strike +9 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Complications: 
Enemy (The Legion of Super-Heroes)

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 10 (126)

-Grimbor hails from the future, and boasts the ability to make confining devices that never fail. He was hired to negate the powers of a girl who could seduce anyone, but she used her powers on him and convinced him to engage in a life of crime. They captured the Legion of Super-Heroes, but Shrinking Violet saved the day by attacking the girl. When the girl (Charma), died in prison (her powers also caused all women to hate her), Grimbor swore revenge, putting the Earth in energy chains (and this ISN'T the Silver Age?), but was again defeated. He shows up briefly in the "Reboot" era, being beaten by Lyle Norg & Jacques Foccart in a flashback scene, set before they gained invisibility powers.

-Grimbor is apparently very strong (strong enough to fight '70s Timber Wolf on a pretty even keel), but his primary ability is to create nigh-unbreakable restraints. And given his skill at such, he can effectively break out of any prison. Generally assume that he has enough restraints to capture & nullify the powers of the entire Legion, though after the '70s, he's probably closer to a Jobber.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:06 pm I respect you, Batgirl-But Lady Shiva was NEVER any good as a villain. No distinctive costume, a codename which doesn't connect with anything in her M.O. or stated goals (aside from "Shiva" just generally meaning destruction or violence), hum drum "shaped by vengeance" origin, reputation built on nothing but being an elevated Creator's Pet, the inscrutable, cryptic pearls of zen wisdom dropping exotic Asian martial arts dragon lady bit is trite and annoying at best, and a vaguely offensive racial stereotype at worst. LOATHE, LOATHE, LOATHE Lady Shiva!!!

Marvel doesn't get off the hook here either-Chris Claremont is a BIG offender, with Mister Sinister AND Stryfe, two of the biggest clown show would-be major villains in the X-Verse ever. Still couldn't tell you why they did anything, what their powers were exactly, or what purpose they served in the stories. Just utter superfluous junk villains whom I kept hoping would get vaporized by a rogue Sentinel.

OK, rage phase over. All the above just my humble opinion. Apologies all around, and...

All my best.
You can't really blame Stryfe on Claremont, since Rob Liefeld and Louise Simonson apparently created him (and I'd guess that it was mostly Rob, given Stryfe's . . . everything). Mr. Sinister sounds like a case of Claremont never getting to tell his story and other writers coming up with his background. From what I understand, Mr. Sinister was actually supposed to be this psychic projection of a younger kid, which is why he had such a weird look and a name like "Mr. Sinister".

As for Lady Shiva and Mordu, I think they're both perfectly fine villains. They just aren't very compelling characters. They're perfectly fine as dangerous threats the heroes need to overcome. A dangerous magic user who is also a physical powerhouse makes for a solid threat, especially against a team like the Legion who has very little magical experience. Likewise, Lady Shiva as the deadliest villainous martial artist on Earth who fights to improve her skills and have all of the bloodshed she can stand. They make excellent opponents for a story. It's just not worth having any story dealing with their background, their personalities, trying to make them sympathetic or delve into their motivations. One of them loves power and wants to conquer everything. One of them loves to fight. They don't need anything beyond that, and trying to make them anything beyond that is just asking for trouble.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I really liked how Lady Shiva was handled in Knightfall, although admittedly this was also the first story I read that featured her and so their might be some nostalgia bias at work... But Bruce turning to her for training to rebuild his skills was treated as a “Godzilla Threshold” point in the story. It carried a lot of gravitas.

But, yeah, years of overuse in the 2000’s really dulled her edge.
Jabroniville

Roxxas

Post by Jabroniville »

ROXXAS (Kivun Roxxas)
Created By:
Edmond Hamilton & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #307 (April 1963)
Eras: Original & Reboot
Role: Space Pirate
PL 9 (111)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Space Pirate) 8 (+11)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+7)
Perception 3 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Space Gear), Improved Critical (Lasers), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 5

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Space Guns & Stuff +10 (+5-6 Ranged Damage, DC 20-21)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +4 (+6 Space Armor), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)
Responsibility (The Destruction of Trom)- Roxxas is a genocidal monster, having slaughtered the people of Trom for refusing to help make him rich. At various moments, he goes insane from the guilt, and the belief that their spirits haunt him.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (111)

-Roxxas is a "Space Pirate", leading a whole army of the same, and moves against the Legion. Recruiting a bunch of new heroes to fight the Pirate Army, the Legion are stunned when "Mystery Lad" reveals himself to be Jan Arrah- the sole survivor of the planet Trom. His entire race was slaughtered by Roxxas when they refused to obey him and use their innate matter-transmuting abilities to make him wealthy, and now Jan seeks revenge. Jan thus joins the Legion as "Element Lad".

-In a later story, Roxxas escapes prison, and a vengeful Element Lad tracks him to Trom, and attempts to execute the villain for his evil. It appears to succeed, and Jan is horrified at what he's become, feeling like a murderer instead of an avenging son- but luckily, it turns out that his teammate Chemical King had secretly wrecked Jan's gun, realizing the effect it would have on the hero. But Roxxas doesn't "get away" with it- not really. The villain instead BEGS for the release of death, because he feels now that the billions of lives lost on Trom now haunt his every waking moment. Mad with grief and horror, the villain's life is now a living hell.

-Volume Four of the Legion book sees the return of Roxxas, who is sprung from prison by the Dominators that rule Earth, and given advanced weaponry and sent after the Legion. He starts by murdering ex-member Blok as a "message" to the other Legionnaires, intending to blow them all up with a bomb when they came for the funeral... that's actually a pretty ingenious plan. He attacked, but was beaten up and arrested.

-"Reboot" saw the return of Roxxas, but in a different form. No Space Pirate, he was the United Planets ambassador from Daxam, and the leader of the White Triangle terrorist cell that engaged in a xenophobic, racist campaign of destruction. His agent Andromeda was sent to be a Legion spy, but she turned on him.

-The original Roxxas is a "Space Pirate" with any kind of gear imaginable- the kind of variable threat who is a dangerous planner, but has no chance in a pitched battle with any number of Legionnaires. Without "Prep Time", he's done. The Reboot version is a PL 12-13-ish Daxamite with the "Kryptonian Power-Set".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

-The original Roxxas is a "Space Pirate" with any kind of gear imaginable- the kind of variable threat who is a dangerous planner, but has no chance in a pitched battle with any number of Legionnaires. Without "Prep Time", he's done. The Reboot version is a PL 12-13-ish Daxamite with the "Kryptonian Power-Set".
So much more interesting as a "Space Pirate Mastermind" than as yet another "Evil Flying Brick," I mean, I like a super-powered slug fest as much as the next comics nerd, but....