Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Validus! Composite Superman! Computo! Mordru!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:44 am
MacynSnow wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 pm Why must quasi-Nazi's always wear black?Why not a bright color to show how happy they are to genocidely Eradicate you....
How else would we know that they’re the baddies?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Validus! C. Superman! Computo! Mordru! Universo!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:33 am I think you are seriously lowballing Universo's Will defense.
How so? I have zero familiarity with the character aside from two cameos, and he comes off as a generic baddie. Keep in mind that I like to keep Saves low due to genre conventions (KO Gas/Mind Control Always Works).
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 am
Davies wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:33 am I think you are seriously lowballing Universo's Will defense.
How so? I have zero familiarity with the character aside from two cameos, and he comes off as a generic baddie. Keep in mind that I like to keep Saves low due to genre conventions (KO Gas/Mind Control Always Works).
His Will save should be at least 5 higher,as he managed to fight off Saturn Girl Telepathic Assault(albut just).
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:29 am
His Will save should be at least 5 higher,as he managed to fight off Saturn Girl Telepathic Assault(albut just).
Maybe he just rolled well.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:52 am

Maybe he just rolled well.
Or GM fiat.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Davies

Post by Davies »

This. Also, he was a Green Lantern. They drummed him out for being an asshole, not for being unable to do the job. At minimum, he should have the minimum Will you'd give to a novice GL.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:39 am

This. Also, he was a Green Lantern. They drummed him out for being an asshole, not for being unable to do the job. At minimum, he should have the minimum Will you'd give to a novice GL.
Hey, his Will Save is one point higher than my "Rookie GL" Template. And yes, I KNOW a GL, even a rookie, should be higher, but that's not how they're usually written in the comics, so I gave them "Jobber Hero Will Saves".

I'll move him up to a +8, though. That's more than enough to shrug off Saturn Girl's Telepathy with a decent roll- a 13 and you can resist her PL 11 version entirely, and you'd need even less to beat a PL 9-10 "Rookie Saturn Girl". Any more is really overkill, given how the saves work in M&M.
Jabroniville

Starfinger

Post by Jabroniville »

Haha- the Earth-Three Michelin Man is the best one.

DR. LARS HANSCOM (Controller of "Starfinger I")
Created By:
Edmond Hamilton & John Forte
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #335 (Aug. 1965)
Home Planet: Earth
Eras: Original Only
Role: Evil Scientist
PL 4 (70)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 6 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+12)
Technology 5 (+12)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Inventor, Ranged Attack 3

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Power)
Enemy (The Legion of Super-Heroes)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (70)

-The actual character "Starfinger" was Lightning Lad in disguise- he'd ben captured by Dr. Lars Hanscom, and was using a device of the Doctor's own creation. He was trying to obtain the rare metal "Rejuvium" by threatening "The Seven Wonders of the 30th Century", which is CLASSIC Silver Age goofiness. Hanscom became a recurring villain- he would kidnap one of Duo Damsel's bodies during her wedding to Bouncing Boy, and tried the same thing with Lightning Lad during the birth of his twins, but was beaten easily this last time.

-A later version of Starfinger came about later, featuring Gim Allon's run with the Science Police back in his youth. A criminal he was chasing named Char Burrane discovered a ring that generated two women- Starlight and Starbright- and he formed a criminal empire with it. Calling himself Starfinger, he kills Hanscom and has a grudge against Colossal Boy. He is chased into the microscopic world within his ring by Shrinking Violet.

-A third Starfinger is Molock Hanscom, brother of Lars. He assassinates Burrane, tries to kill Char Burrane II, but is killed by the Khunds.

-The name is just SO GOOFY, and the powers SO Silver Age that I can't help but adore this whole stupid concept. The idea of a random piece of gear falling into the hands of various Mooks and empowering them is solid, but this guy would be so much more fun as a braggart of a '60s Villain. Marvel honestly did much, MUCH better with The Mandarin, who came out the year before.

-Lars Hanscom is a good scientist, but a loser of a villain, unable to hold his own in a fight with any number of Legionnaires. The other two seem to be generic crooks using a powerful weapon of Hanscom's:

THE STARFINGER GLOVE: (Flaws: Removable) [34]
"Pinky- Freezing Ray" Snare 12 (36) -- (42 points)
  • AE: "Ring Finger- Super-Radiation" Blast 12 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Radiation) (26)
  • AE: "Ring Finger- Super-Radiation Shrink Rays" Shrinking 12 (Extras: Ranged) (36)
  • AE: "Middle Finger- Super-Thrust Ray" Move Object 12 (24)
  • AE: "Index Finger- Super-Lightning" Blast 12 (24)
  • AE: "Thumb- Neutralizing Ray" Affliction 12 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (24)
  • AE: "All Fingers Together- Distorter Ray" Affliction 12 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Erratic Functions) (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Super-Powers) (24)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 30, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Validus! Composite Superman! Computo! Mordru!)

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 pm Why must quasi-Nazi's always wear black?Why not a bright color to show how happy they are to genocidely Eradicate you....
Well, then there's the Blackhawks... They fought Nazis, wearing black leather military uniforms.

"We must take our enemies' intimidating dress sense, and use it as a weapon ourselves. HAWKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Re: Starfinger

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:34 am DR. LARS HANSCOM (Controller of "Starfinger I")
Created By:
The August 1965 issue... which means it probably hit the stands in June of 1965. Which means Hamilton & Forte probably started writing the story in February or March ...

And, in December of 1964 there was a little movie starring Sean Connery and Honor Blackman. Gert Fröbe played the title character. And it was kind of a big international hit.

Admittedly, it's speculation on my part, but I can't help but think that maybe why someone at DC thought "Starfinger" would be a good villain name was because Goldfinger was such a big deal at the time.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Scots Dragon

Re: White Triangle

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:56 pm -The White Triangle are a racist organization that form up a lot of the backstory in the "Reboot" era Legion. Total strawmen, they are Daxamites that believe that all other races are "unclean", and raise their own children to be ignorant of the baiscs of biology and other sciences.
Considering that, in the real world, this happened...

... I'm not entirely sure anything like that can qualify as a strawman.

It's also why most fictional Nazi types wear black or brown because those are the colours the actual Nazis favoured.

See Hitler's brownshirts;

And Mosley's blackshirts:
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Goldar

Re: Starfinger

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:41 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:34 am DR. LARS HANSCOM (Controller of "Starfinger I")
Created By:
The August 1965 issue... which means it probably hit the stands in June of 1965. Which means Hamilton & Forte probably started writing the story in February or March ...

And, in December of 1964 there was a little movie starring Sean Connery and Honor Blackman. Gert Fröbe played the title character. And it was kind of a big international hit.

Admittedly, it's speculation on my part, but I can't help but think that maybe why someone at DC thought "Starfinger" would be a good villain name was because Goldfinger was such a big deal at the time.
True enough.

Many if the characters, origins and powers were taken from 1950's or 1960's movies. For example, those movies began talking about "gamma Ray's" and "energy blasts". Even Marvel's Wasp character, Janet van Dyne, was based off the 1959 movie Wasp Woman, whose lead characters ter was named Janice.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

You can be strawmen and still be based off of real stuff. The real world provides PLENTY of strawmen that are easily-mocked, after all.
proditor

Re: Grimbor

Post by proditor »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:36 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:50 am Image
‘Fifty Shades of Fantastic’ the story of Sue Storm’s journey into the erotic world of the mysterious Reed Richards...
This pretty much made my morning. :)
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:51 am You can be strawmen and still be based off of real stuff. The real world provides PLENTY of strawmen that are easily-mocked, after all.
That's not actually what a strawman is. A strawman is a false and inaccurate portrayal of a certain ideology created to be easier to defeat in debate, and anything that actually exists cannot by definition be a strawman.

There's very little inaccurate about the white triangle.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.