Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (LOSH Done! Raptors! Sailor Moon S! Sailor Mars!)

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:31 am
Ares wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:28 am I was never a big Sailor Moon fan, but of the scouts Jupiter was my favorite as well. Jokes about her sizeable talents aside, she was just always the most appealing of the bunch. Moon and Venus seemed like they'd drive you nuts eventually with their "zany shenanigans", while both Moon and Mercury seemed like they'd need constant reassurance because of fragile egos. Mars is confident, but I never really cared for bitchy or bossy characters, no matter how big their "heart of gold deep down" might be. I've seen folks get into relationships with women like that, and it always seemed like some kind of Stockholmes syndrome. "She treats everyone else like crap, but she only treats me like dirt. She's even nice to me once or twice a year. This must be love!"

Jupiter, by contrast, was occasionally goofy, but not goofy enough to be annoying. She's strong, independent, a kickass fighter, but like Jab said, she lost none of her femininity in the process. And the boy crazy thing should go away once you actually get her in a committed relationship, since she'll then just transfer all of that desire for a relationship onto you, and probably be a very devoted partner. Honestly, she seems by far the best choice of the girls.

Having super long legs and ample talent doesn't hurt things, tho.
B-but Rei only treats USAGI and YUICHIRO like that- everyone else who passes muster and isn't a doofus is treated well! so all I have to do is behave and follow orders, and I won't have to explain away any black eyes to the neighbors, or shave my head so she'll stop pulling my hair!

W-we're the perfect couple! *single tear rolls down cheek*
*Macyn,Ken and Halloweenjack pull up to jab&Rei's house (while Rei's at the shrine) in their Mercury Grand Marquis and barge in to confront Jab.....*
OK,that tears it!Jab,you can now officially consider this a sortof Rescue attempt.'Jack give him the Steel chair Anesticia,kenny grab his legs&got his arms.We're taking him back to Stan&Bob,maybe they can help this poor soul......
*so saying,Halloweenjack hits Jab in the head with a steel chair while ken&macyn cart him out to the back of the car and drive away....*
Ken

Post by Ken »

You know, in our solar system's planets, Jupiter is the largest sphere, and it has a great red spot.

Maybe her being the most "talented" is based on astronomy.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:33 am You know, in our solar system's planets, Jupiter is the largest sphere, and it has a great red spot.

Maybe her being the most "talented" is based on astronomy.
Dude,we're trying to sortof rescue jab!Save your innuendos for Elekta tonight.... :D
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

YouTube Clip of Mako's explanation for why she deserves to play Snow White- hopefully it plays in the States: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlXy2xjyGO4
A longer version. So nostalgic for the original dub voices...: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-h3cgyNnAU
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:31 am
B-but Rei only treats USAGI and YUICHIRO like that- everyone else who passes muster and isn't a doofus is treated well! so all I have to do is behave and follow orders, and I won't have to explain away any black eyes to the neighbors, or shave my head so she'll stop pulling my hair!

*Macyn,Ken and Halloweenjack pull up to jab&Rei's house (while Rei's at the shrine) in their Mercury Grand Marquis and barge in to confront Jab.....*
OK,that tears it!Jab,you can now officially consider this a sortof Rescue attempt.'Jack give him the Steel chair Anesticia,kenny grab his legs&got his arms.We're taking him back to Stan&Bob,maybe they can help this poor soul......
*so saying,Halloweenjack hits Jab in the head with a steel chair while ken&macyn cart him out to the back of the car and drive away....*
Y-you just don't understand the APPEAL, you guys:

BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Makoto has always been my crush. Still smitten, after all these years.
Jabroniville

Sailor Venus

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

SAILOR VENUS (Minako Aino, aka Sailor V)
Dub Name:
Mina
Role: Wannabe Starlet, The Annoying One, The Copy of the Main Hero
Main Fuku Colour: Orange
Elemental Alignment: Metal, Love
Hair Colour: Blonde
PL 9 (139)
STRENGTH
1/2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 8 (+8, +10 Sailor)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Idol) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Volleyball Player) 4 (+9) -- Uses Agility
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Venus Attacks) 4 (+10)
Stealth 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Daze (Persuasion), Defensive Attack, Equipment (Sailor Communicator), Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Seize Initiative, Set-Up 2, Ranged Attack 3, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [2]

"Venus Love-Me Chain!" Blast 8 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (21) -- [29]
  • AE: "Love-Me Chain as Snare" Snare 8 (Feats: Tether, Reversible, Fast Grab) (Flaws: Limited to One Target) (19)
  • AE: "Love-Me Chain as Whip" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (16)
  • AE: "Love-Me Chain as Object-Grabber" Move Object 7 (14)
  • AE: "Crescent Beam!" Blast 7 (Feats: Improved Critical (15)
  • AE: "Crescent Beam Shower!" Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Tiring) (16)
  • AE: "Sailor Teleport!" Teleport 14 (Extras: Extended Only +0, Accurate) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (14)
  • AE: "Sailor Planet Attack!" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (20)
  • AE: "Sailor Planet Power!" Force Field 8 (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Sailor Strength +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Crescent Beam +10 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Crescent Beam Shower +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Love-Me Chain +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Chain Whip +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Planet Attack +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Aino Minako, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are charged to fight evil, and protect Sailor Moon.
Responsibility (Schooling)
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Obsession (Idols & Becoming an Idol)- Minako eventually shifts in personality to become desperately obsessed with idol singers. She loves them, and she wants to BE one, at all costs.
Relationship (Katarina & Alan)- Minako loved Alan, but upon realizing that he cared for Katarina more, she stepped aside and let them be together.
Reputation (Idol Chasing Ditz)- The other girls eventually become rather annoyed as Mina becomes more and more manic.
Reputation (Unlucky in Love)- Minako was cursed as "Sailor V" to always be unlucky in love- all of her attempts at it will go awry.
Enemy (The Dark Kingdom, Ail & An, The Black Moon Clan, The Death Busters, Queen Nehellenia, Sailor Galaxia)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 19 (139)

Sailor V- From Upstart Manga to Additional Cast Member:
-Sailor Venus was the toughest "fit" into the Sailor Moon cast, and took the longest to be normalized. Problematically, she started life as "Sailor V", from a manga of the same name, by the same creator- Naoko Takeuchi essentially had a pretty popular little deal with Sailor V, and took the entire concept and shifted it a bit (mineral-themed villains, a talking cat sidekick, called attacks, etc.) for Sailor Moon, which ended up as a sequel. And so with Sailor V joining THAT cast... suddenly we had two characters with more or less the same personality, as Moon was essentially the same kind of character as V- a giddy, crush-having schoolgirl. They even had the same family- a group based off of Naoko's own!

-This heavily contrasts the manga, in which Venus was the actual straight-up LEADER of the Sailor Senshi, packing a dangerous sword and probably being the best overall fighter. "Serious Venus" was around for quite some time, as the others had been around for so long and had so much time to develop their relationships, so there was less time for her.

Sailor Venus- The Final Inner Senshi:
-This was made worse by the timing- Sailor Venus actually didn't make her debut until Episode #33, and the first season only lasted thirteen more episodes! Up until that point, Sailor V was just some silly thing the girls were all obsessed with, with episodes featuring her arcade games, her upcoming movie, etc. And right after she debuts is when Zoisite is killed, Sailor Moon is revealed to be the Moon Princess, and Mamoru/Endymion is kidnapped and brainwashed! There's STUFF going on! And so her characterization kind of has to fall by the wayside.

-This left Sailor Venus (as she was renamed) in a tough spot- the anime creators either had her as the most serious, mature Sailor, or the silliest- she's a bit normal in her civilian form, but in the "Countess Trains Girls To Be Princesses" episode, she's dancing with her partner as if she was a kindergartener, pumping her arms with her eyes closed! And the later seasons seem to kind of blow poor Minako off- in a few Sailor Moon R episodes, she's actually stuck SHARING Focus Episodes with Sailor Jupiter- one of them shows the two like they've paired off as a regular duo, arguing over some silly thing like friends do.

Her Past Explained:
-The Original Dub was extremely weird with her, too- the whole Sailor V/Sailor Venus thing is literally NEVER EXPLAINED, and she just pops up one day as Sailor Venus, despite numerous episodes having featured Sailor V stuff heavily. Things were made worse by her biggest, big-time Focus Episode being left out of the airing, as it deals with her "Sailor V" past. Minako's old friend Katarina (who's hooked up with Minako's old crush, Allan, from back when they all lived in England...) arrives under the sway of Kunzite, and becomes the monster Papillon (Butterfly) in order to kill Minako. Usagi helps out (magically able to pilot boats when her Disguise Pen transforms her into an ACTUAL Sailor), and soon we get the backstory- Minako & Katarina were partners, fighting crime and Monsters in England back when Minako was just Sailor V. Minako was in love with Allan, but when she found out that Allan & Katarina were in love, she allowed them to believe that she was killed in a blast.

-Sailor Moon thinks Venus should be SUPER-bitter and hate them, but the more-mature Venus insists she's not EVIL or anything, and convinces Sailor Moon to use the Healing Activation to cure Katarina of the Dark Kingdom's brainwashing. The final summation: Venus is the most-mature of the Sailors. Well, THAT'd go away once she became the "Idol singer-obsessed" one of the bunch. This one was a nice showcasing of the old Sailor V manga. But it's REALLY weird that this "Allan" guy was the key to much of the backstory, but didn't even actually APPEAR- he was just in the flashbacks!

Venus Becomes Set In Stone:
-Eventually, the writers would give up on her "maturity" and just turn her into the wackiest, goofballiest, Idol-obsessed Sailor. This was pretty much finalized in the episode where she begins taking care of the other girls, who've all come down with colds. "Nurse Venus" begins taking care of them in increasingly-horrible ways, eventually driving Mercury, Mars & Jupiter crazy with her incompetent care (Mars is fed a soup full of salt, then has music blared at her at maximum volume). This goofy version of Venus seems to be the "iconic" one, as Venus Fans almost always cite it as their favorite episode. It's a bit odd to see the "Weird, Idol-Obsessed One" in a show where SAILOR MOON is the main character, but that was always kind of my issue with the character- I could never figure out Venus Fans, because to me, it was like cheering on the one character who was basically like the main character, but moreso.

Venus's Stats:
-Sailor Venus is a pretty "typical Sailor"- fast and Blast-y. Faster than she is tough, she eventually packs some serious firepower, using multiple variations of her base power and the Snares from her Love-Me Chain. The basic Chain is really just a Blast, much like the Crescent Beam, but I figure it's stronger since she dropped the Beam almost entirely once she got the Chain attack. She also uses the one-off R technique "Crescent Meteor Shower"- a Multiattack Tiring Blast, or can alternately use the Chain as a Snare or a Move Object (in a one-off episode, she grabs a boulder with it and moves it out of the way- something she could never do unarmed).

My notes on the famous Sailor Venus episode:
Episode #78: This is a pretty famous one for Sailor Venus fans, largely because it completely defined her new personality. Perfected it, basically. A wave of flu virus has hit Juban District in Tokyo (even back then, the Japanese always wore medical masks to avoid transfering illness to others), and all of the Sailors have come down with it... except for Minako. And unfortunately... she is the world's crappiest nurse. She leaves Makoto's place a disaster area, and is then taking care of poor Rei, insisting she'll get her "rice gruel" right this time. Watching Rei eye it suspiciously while Minako's eyes light up like a child on Christmas morning is hilarious. And then of course she A) adds too much salt, B) spills the ENTIRE THING on Rei, and C) dumps her out of bed while trying to change the sheets. Then somehow she blows up Rei's stereo, and the poor girl has had it.

In a bizarre moment, Mina jumps from the ground to the second-floor balcony of Usagi's home! Not even in Sailor form! This... this goes against my theory that their Sailor Forms are powered-up compared to their normal ones! How... how did this happen?!?

Then stuff gets awesome- Mina finally stops F-ing up and Usagi feels a bit better. They have one of those "girl chats" where Usagi's all "is this 'cause I'm the Princess?" and Minas all "Nah, it's because we're great friends and I feel at ease around you". Then, while the Sailors triumphantly stagger through the streets, REFUSING to let the flu virus hold them back from their duty, Mina stumbles upon Esmeraude's plot, and the villainess goes "this means you found out about my plan to make everyone sick, then give them medicine laced with Dark Power?". Mina's all "of course I knew that!" Even though SHE HAD NO IDEA. That is so rad.

Hey- Venus uses the CRESCENT BEAM in her solo fight! We haven't seen that in ages! And then the others arrive, and we get Bubble Spray! Some director was nostalgic, I see. They make short work of the Droid, Esmeraude leaves, and soon poor Minako now has to deal with a flu of her very own... and must survive the ordeal of NURSE USAGI. One of the funnier episodes, largely for slapstick and the growing anger/frustration of the poor Sailors.
SAILOR VENUS (Minako Aino, aka Sailor V)- First Season
Dub Name:
Mina
Role: Wannabe Starlet, The Annoying One, The Copy of the Main Hero
Main Fuku Colour: Orange
Elemental Alignment: Metal, Love
Hair Colour: Blonde
PL 8 (124)
STRENGTH
1/2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 8 (+8, +10 Sailor)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Idol) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Volleyball Player) 4 (+9) -- Uses Agility
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Venus Attacks) 4 (+10)
Stealth 1 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Daze (Persuasion), Defensive Attack, Equipment (Sailor Communicator), Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Seize Initiative, Set-Up 2, Ranged Attack 2, Taunt, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Crescent Beam!" Blast 7 (Feats: Improved Critical) [15]

Offense:
Crescent Beam +9 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Power Loss (All Powers)- Sailor Senshi must be able to gesture and speak freely to use their powers. If they are Bound or Snared, they cannot use their attacks easily.
Normal Identity (Aino Minako, Without Power Stick)
Responsibility (Sailor Senshi)- The Senshi are charged to fight evil, and protect Sailor Moon.
Secret (Identity)- The Senshi must not reveal their identities to the world at large, nor their villains.
Obsession (Idols & Becoming an Idol)- Minako eventually shifts in personality to become desperately obsessed with idol singers. She loves them, and she wants to BE one, at all costs.
Relationship (Katarina & Alan)- Minako loved Alan, but upon realizing that he cared for Katarina more, she stepped aside and let them be together.
Reputation (Idol Chasing Ditz)- The other girls eventually become rather annoyed as Mina becomes more and more manic.
Reputation (Unlucky in Love)- Minako was cursed as "Sailor V" to always be unlucky in love- all of her attempts at it will go awry.
Enemy (The Dark Kingdom, Ail & An, The Black Moon Clan, The Death Busters, Queen Nehellenia, Sailor Galaxia)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 19 (124)

-Sailor Venus drops to the standard PL 8 Sailor build in the first season.

Sailor Moon S Notes:
-S really seems to be "Sailor Venus's Coming Out Party"- it gives her more focus than ever, finishes defining her as "the weird, childlike one", and even gives her more backstory. Early on, it's revealed that she was once a major volleyball star, and a lower-level boy had a crush on her. This realization kind of startles her- it makes her realize how much she gave up to be Sailor V, reconsider the focus it has in her life, and makes her think of giving up that life for good. Ultimately, seeing her friends in danger, and realizing the boy actually HAD a girlfriend this time around (she'd interpreted his admission as him saying he STILL liked her), causes her to rejoin the fight, even using her trademark "Serve Return!" technique to defeat the Volleyball-Themed Daimon. She basically confesses to herself that "I am a Sailor Guardian, and there are things that only I can protect", accepting her role in life. And in a cute moment, Artemis (who'd been flabbergasted by her behavior thus far, not understanding the teenage girl mind) gives her a bouquet of roses and asks "will you be my date tonight?".

-Probably her greatest moment is the 109th episode, where she starts to worry about the fact that she hasn't been targetted for her Pure Heart Crystal yet. She obsesses over it to excess- donating dangerous amounts of blood to prove her pure-heartedness, getting equally introspective and manic. And then finally gets her wish- her Heart Crystal is removed! And then, in the greatest bit EVER, she lurches forward like a zombie, grasps the heart... AND RUNS AWAY WITH IT, cackling about how this proves she was pure-hearted after all! Usagi and Eudial are aghast and have to friggin' chase after the lunatic. Minako finally collapses with an exhausted smile on her face, and we can get down to actually fighting the villain.

-Finally, she gets a Focus Episode based around her "Idol Singer" ideal, which becomes a more notable thing later on. It's a great one, focusing on her and the villain Mimete trying to win a contest to become an Idol Singer's costar. Both girls, instead of being rivals, actually BOND over being "True Fans" for having the obscure gear to prove it, and cheer each other on. When Minako falls just short, and her disappointment is stunted by Arajin, who confesses that "your memories of me will fade", as idol worship always does- and that girls will drop following celebrities once they find TRUE love. Minako is of course even MORE entranced by this. Fantastic episode, though. Minako is actually relatively sane for once (her weirdest thing is hiding fangirling from the others), and Mimete is adorably crazy and mercurial.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sailor Moon S! Sailors Mars, Jupiter & Venus!)

Post by Batgirl III »

My fan-wank justification for the differences between Sailor V, Sailor Venus, and Minako in personality is that they, in fact, separate personalities. The Sailor Venus on the ancient Moon Kingdom was a serious-minded and hidebound stick-in-the-mud, but the modern day Minako was a goofball idoru otaku... When reincarnated in the modern era, it took a while for the two halves of Minako’s identity to mesh.

(Personally, I think the live-action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon sentai series has the best take on the franchise’s early plot. No spoilers, but it makes the “is the Moon Princess really Sailor Moon?” mystery more plausible and the twist reveal is genuinely surprising. It also handles Sailor Venus’ outsider status better.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Sailor Mercury

Post by Jabroniville »

Dark Mercury? NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

SAILOR MERCURY (Ami Mizuno)
Dub Name:
Amy Anderson
Role: The Smart One, Dutiful Student, The Mature One
Main Fuku Colour: Blue
Elemental Alignment: Water, Ice
Hair Colour: Blue (You gotta have blue hair)
PL 8 (156)
STRENGTH
0/1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 6 (+6, +7 Sailor)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+8)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Mercury Attacks) 2 (+8)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 2 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Defensive Attack, Equipment 1 (Sailor Communicator), Seize Initiative, Set-Up 2, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Shine Aqua Illusion!" Blast 6 Linked to Affliction 8 (Strength; Impaired & Hindered/Prone & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (36) -- [43]
  • AE: "Shine Snow Illusion!" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) Linked to Affliction 8 (Strength; Impaired & Hindered/Prone & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Extra Condition) (36)
  • AE: "Bubble Spray!" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cloud +3, Selective) Linked to Affliction 4 (Perception; Dazed/Stunned) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Selective) (28)
  • AE: "Bubble Spray Freezing!" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cloud +3, Selective) Linked to Affliction 8 (Strength; Impaired & Hindered/Prone & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Tiring) (28)
  • AE: "Bubbles Screwing With Attacks" Nullify Flight Powers 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (24)
  • AE: "Sailor Teleport!" Teleport 14 (Extras: Extended Only +0, Accurate) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (14)
  • AE: "Sailor Planet Attack!" Damage 14 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Penetrating 6) (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (20)
  • AE: "Sailor Planet Power!" Force Field 8 (Flaws: Requires Other Sailors -2) (2)
"Weakness-Scanning Visor" (Easily Removable) [7]
Senses 7 (Vision Penetrates Illusions & Counters Concealment, Analytical & Extended Vision, Detect Energy- Ranged & Acute) (11 points)

Offense:
Bubble Spray +4 Area (+4 Affliction, DC 14)
Bubble Spray Freezing +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Shine Aqua Illusion +8 (+6 Ranged Damage & +8 Ranged Affliction, DC 21 & 18)
Planet Attack +14 Area (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Normal Identity (Mizuno Ami, Without Power Stick)
---
Obsession (Grades)- Ami is a first-class, Type-A "Brain". School is her entire life, and she devotes almost all of her extra energy to it. Despite being a superhero and a teenage girl, she gets perfect scores (anything less than 100% is unacceptable), and goes to one of the city's top Cram Schools (a common feature in Japanese education).
Reputation (Stuck-Up)- Ami is a classic introvert, and her obsession with studying only furthers the void between her and other students. It is very easy for kids to assume that she is stuck-up and impolite, snobbishly refusing to deal with people. Only Usagi and a few others can cut through this facade. She pretends it doesn't hurt her, but she is emotionally ruined when rumors spread of her cheating on exams and having people authentically turn on her.
Secret (Closet Romantic)- Stoic, mature Ami seems very together, but if you look closely, she's often the one most moved to tears by actions of pure romance, such as the love between Usagi & Mamoru. It's adorable.
---
Relationship (Usagi)- Usagi was the one person to try and befriend Ami when she was the "stuck-up" new girl. As such, she is one of Usagi's strongest defenders, and frequently guards her against the jibes of villains... or teammates. Though she finds Usagi to be exceptionally lazy and a do-nothing scholastically, she takes care to be more of a teasing or embarrassed-lecturing type rather than a judgemental, vicious sort.
Relationship (Ryo Urawa)- The two shared a brief friendship that could have turned into something more- Ryo appeared to be a genius like her, and he definitely cared for her, but he refused to get close, believing himself to be a monster. Ami also ran from her feelings, afraid to get too close to someone. Ultimately, he was forced to move away. In Sailor Stars, she instead crushes on one of the Three Lights- the Smart One, of course.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 19 (156)

Sailor Mercury- The Unsung Hero:
-Sailor Mercury is the most popular Sailor in Japan, given that she's a brilliant, studious (in a nation that HEAVILY rewards near-constant studying & cramming), kind-hearted, dutiful girl with no glaring personality flaws aside from a dull focus on her studies. Her biggest problem is her shyness, which makes her often seem rude or snobby to others, but she's usually just playing Straight Man to the antics of the other girls, bringing out the giant sweat-drops and generally sighing in the general direction of Rei & Usagi's tongue-waggling contests. Poor girl. She allows me to bring up one of my MAJOR pet peeves with the show (one of those things that's not dub-focused)- the fact that every girl would get these pontential male love interests, and you'd see them flirt, blush, mingle, etc., but then they'd go away forever and you'd never see them again. Mercury & Greg (Ryo Ozawa), a sweet, shy boy who could see the future, had a cute thing going on, but he only appeared in two episodes, and after that you almost never had Mercury-focused things except for once a season.

-Like most Sailors, Mercury had little of her personal life shown, and mainly bits from the manga & anime give us some look at her (this is one of the many ways the anime differs from standard comic books, which LOVE to introduce massive recurring casts of relatives). Her parents are divorced, and she lives with a serious, intelligent mother who's a doctor (which is Amy's career goal as well). Her father, a wandering artist, is mostly out of the picture (this happens A LOT on this show, as we'll soon see- Naoko Takeuchi apparently has a problem with father-figures being involved :)), occasionally sending Ami paintings. You literally only see her mother in the anime, and only in a side-view that doesn't even show her face.

-Mercury doesn't stand out as much as her friends, since they're all such extreme personalities- Minako & Usagi are insane, Mako is super-aggressive, and Rei is just a snide bitch. Mercury is so stoic and regular that her & Luna end up the closest in personality, sharing sweat-drops expressions whenever Usagi and Rei... do Usagi & Rei stuff. The neat thing about her, however, is that she often appears to be such a closet romantic, mooning over the relationship of Usagi & Mamoru.
-Mercury was so popular in Japan that the bizarre live-action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon series featured HER as the "captured & turned evil by the Dark Kingdom" victim instead to Tuxedo Mask. Dark Mercury is pretty much the hottest thing ever, and I'm not even a real big fan of Mercury overall!

Mercury's Powers:
-Ain't nobody better talk smack on those Bubbles, though. Sailor Mercury was BITCHING in this show, as those infamous "Bubble Spray" attacks would 9 times out of 10 be the most effective Senshi attack. While they didn't ever do DAMAGE, they were exceptional at distracting enemies. And when the entire name of the game was "distract so Sailor Moon can hit her thing", that makes Mercury the most elite Sailor out there. Because EVERY TIME she hit that stupid thing, the enemy would stand out there like "D-uhh? What?", and be COMPLETELY DISTRACTED, allowing Sailor Moon to throw a Tiara or a Cutie Moon Rod or whatever. A few episodes even show the thing having Stun-like properties, as she once uses it to put a legion of animals to sleep, and another time causes some flying objects to drop.

-Ami/Mercury has the potential to be a VERY pricey Sailor Senshi- She's smart as hell (given an I.Q. of 300 in the anime, though this is actually impossible in real life), but doesn't actually seem to USE her smarts for anything, so she's light on the Skills for an INT 6 person (she's in fact one of the better examples of the "brilliant, but unskilled" type of genius- she doesn't invent stuff or hack databases, but she's generally intelligent and knowledgeable about everything). She's easily the worst fighter of all the Senshi, lacking ANY major combat abilities until Sailor Moon R (season two) aside from "making the area foggy", and she does the least amount of damage with just about every attack.

-Mercury's also quite clever in battle. In one episode, she TOTALLY fakes out Prince Endymion (a brainwashed servant of the Dark Kingdom), tricking him with her Bubbles, swiping the Dark Crystal from him, and then SHATTERING it, preventing its constant use as a Monster-Transformation Device from then on. She also targets the Illusion Caster of the head D.D. Girl, breaking it in a great sacrificial play, as she's defenseless against the merciless baddies afterwards.

-She's more or less a Status Affecter, freezing people in Snares, fogging up the area (sometimes linking the two), or merely hitting with Cold Blasts (Shine Aqua Illusion is a Blast/Snare- the manga/Sailor Moon Crystal-only "Shine Snow Illusion" is the same but a Burst). Her Concealment effects are Selective, making them pretty handy, and her later-series attacks (Mercury Aqua Rhapsody especially) are powerful +9-10 Blasts, which is a nice change. Shine Aqua Illusion is still her best attack, though- Blasting at +6 and Linking to an Ice Snare. Expensive, but worth it. In combat, she's still the worst Senshi (her Dodge & Parry are weak, and she's the lowest Toughness and worst fighter), but she's sort of the resident Skillmonkey.

-Of note is also her little Visor thingie, which often pops up and targets the enemies' weaknesses, as well as telling people whether or not things are illusions. This is basically Analytical Vision, plus Penetrates Concealment & Illusion.

SAILOR MERCURY (Ami Mizuno)
Dub Name:
Amy Anderson
Role: The Smart One, Dutiful Student, The Mature One
Main Fuku Colour: Blue
Elemental Alignment: Water, Ice
Hair Colour: Blue (You gotta have blue hair)
PL 7 (142)
STRENGTH
0/1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 6 (+6, +7 Sailor)
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+8)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Mercury Attacks) 2 (+8)
Stealth 1 (+4)
Technology 2 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Defensive Attack, Equipment 1 (Sailor Communicator), Seize Initiative, Set-Up 2, Ranged Attack 3, Teamwork

Powers:
"Sailor Strength"
Enhanced Strength 1 [2]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Bubble Spray!" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cloud +3, Selective) Linked to Affliction 4 (Perception; Dazed/Stunned) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Selective) (28) -- [29]
  • AE: "Bubbles Screwing With Attacks" Nullify Flight Powers 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2) (24)

"Weakness-Scanning Visor" (Easily Removable) [7]
Senses 7 (Vision Penetrates Illusions & Counters Concealment, Analytical & Extended Vision, Detect Energy- Ranged & Acute) (11 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Sailor Strength +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Bubble Spray +4 Area (+4 Affliction, DC 14)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:
Normal Identity (Mizuno Ami, Without Power Stick)
---
Obsession (Grades)- Ami is a first-class, Type-A "Brain". School is her entire life, and she devotes almost all of her extra energy to it. Despite being a superhero and a teenage girl, she gets perfect scores (anything less than 100% is unacceptable), and goes to one of the city's top Cram Schools (a common feature in Japanese education).
Reputation (Stuck-Up)- Ami is a classic introvert, and her obsession with studying only furthers the void between her and other students. It is very easy for kids to assume that she is stuck-up and impolite, snobbishly refusing to deal with people. Only Usagi and a few others can cut through this facade. She pretends it doesn't hurt her, but she is emotionally ruined when rumors spread of her cheating on exams and having people authentically turn on her.
Secret (Closet Romantic)- Stoic, mature Ami seems very together, but if you look closely, she's often the one most moved to tears by actions of pure romance, such as the love between Usagi & Mamoru. It's adorable.
---
Relationship (Usagi)- Usagi was the one person to try and befriend Ami when she was the "stuck-up" new girl. As such, she is one of Usagi's strongest defenders, and frequently guards her against the jibes of villains... or teammates. Though she finds Usagi to be exceptionally lazy and a do-nothing scholastically, she takes care to be more of a teasing or embarrassed-lecturing type rather than a judgemental, vicious sort.
Relationship (Ryo Urawa)- The two shared a brief friendship that could have turned into something more- Ryo appeared to be a genius like her, and he definitely cared for her, but he refused to get close, believing himself to be a monster. Ami also ran from her feelings, afraid to get too close to someone. Ultimately, he was forced to move away. In Sailor Stars, she instead crushes on one of the Three Lights- the Smart One, of course.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 19 (142)

-The first season's Sailor Mercury has next to no offensive capability whatsoever, but still has the tactical power of the Bubble Spray.

Sailor Moon S Notes:
-Ami, the most popular Sailor to young girls, is given a lot of... well, academic-themed things to do this season. But this is actually the finest work Kate "Frankie Stein" Higgins has put into the show thus far. Here, Ami is lectured by her Vice-Principal about putting too much effort into helping "lower-end" students (ie. Usagi) study, and not enough on her own excellence. Ami actually has the grit to SCOLD HIM for this advice, but the idea makes her think about how she's defined too much by her studies. Like, that's ALL she has- even her friends just compliment her intelligence all the time. Is her dream to be a doctor even that sincere, or just her assumption that that's what a really smart person does? "People with TRUE dreams have a SHINE to them", she says.

-Usagi, who overheard Ami's conversation with the Vice-Principal, scolds the others and says "Studying is something you do by yourself!" when the girls start harassing Ami for scholastic help- hilariously, this causes FEAR in others, who are staggered that "Usagi... said something admirable!" Unfortunately, Usagi's obsession with Ami's studying just hurts Ami all the more, because her identity is so wrapped up in her grades. The ending is THE BEST, though- Ami renews her purpose to be her very best self... but when Usagi gets paranoid over her & Tuxedo Mask sharing a moment, Ami actually GRABS HIM and suggests she'll go for THAT, too! "You know I'll try my very best!" "No no no no no!!" AMAZING. You NEVER see Ami tease her friends like this!

-In her last Focus Episode, Ami meets Viluy in her civilian disguise as "the other girl who got a perfect score on the national practice exam", and she brags about how anyone with high marks is allowed to teach at the Academy. Ami, however, is DIGUSTED with the idea, as high marks alone shouldn't cut it- a good instructor has to be able to understand the feelings of even the students who are struggling! Viluy chides her for being "naive" and not sounding like the kind of person who could get a perfect score, and later, Mercury refuses to abandon Uranus & Neptune to the Witch, either. In a great ending bit, Haruka & Michiru stand before the Sailors, with Haruka saying "Ami Mizuno... your naivete has allowed the Messiah of Silence to escape. But it also saved us." Michiru adds that for now, they're very grateful to her. The VA's performance here was REALLY GOOD- her sadness and concern when she points out that "good grades don't necessarily mean you'll make a good INSTRUCTOR..." is pitch-perfect delivery.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ami’s another character who gets far more development in the live-action sentai series — the show had a budget of approximately $6.34 Canadian and a half-eaten Mars Bar, so they tried to do a lot more dramatic scenes and interpersonal relationship focus.

Ami is shown to have a very strained relationship with her mother. They clearly love each other, but her mother’s workload as a doctor basically makes her an absentee parent. Ami’s studious nature seems to be equal parts natural aptitude (she is a genius and she does enjoy academics) and trying to win some praise/attention from her mother... This serves as the “hook” for the baddies to corrupt Ami into the OMGSOSEXY Dark Mercury:

BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:57 am

*gives him another dose*
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Thinking about it, I don't even think the Sailor Moon S movie has been redubbed yet..Huh.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Pfft I do, sheesh youre talking to the kitty that still thinks Sakura Haruno is awesome in spite of the dumpster fire of an ending she got, and the character assassination that went with it
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

catsi563 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:14 am

Pfft I do, sheesh youre talking to the kitty that still thinks Sakura Haruno is awesome in spite of the dumpster fire of an ending she got, and the character assassination that went with it
Great,we got another one,looks like it's spreading from the house.Jack use the Super-Anesteic,Kenny stop the car,i'll get her in here.Man,stan&bob are gonna be busy....
*Ken stops the Mercury as Halloweenjack nails Catsi653 with an extra-thick chair.Macyn then get's out and pulls her into the car as it drives away...*
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

That is a really generic page of anime. First several times I've looked at it, thought of one of my favorite animes Maison Ikkoku.

Are the sailor mermaid pictures from anywhere special?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.