Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Devourer

Post by Jabroniville »

They never even MENTION this DD costume. It's basically been erased from history.

Also, who wants to bet they wrote the description without looking at the finalized art?

THE DEVOURER
Created By:
Greg Wright & John Heebink
First Appearance: Daredevil Annual #9 (1993)
Role: Agent of the Gods
PL 7 (66)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 6 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Knife), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) [2]
Morph (Host Form & Devourer) 1 (Feats: Metamorph) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Claws & Knife +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (The Will of the Mayan Gods)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 11 (66)

1993 saw the production of a series of Annuals in the Marvel Universe, each of which featured a brand-new character, and was packaged with a trading card featuring that character. In almost every case, these characters were horrible one-offs and almost none of them ever reappeared. Most are extremely dated to their early-1990s point of creation.

-The Devourer isn't really someone you'd expect to see Daredevil fight, but his creators are people I've never heard of, so this cries "Filler" to me, even more than the other stuff. He came about when a kid named Tommy Webster spilled his blood on a statue while trying to steal from the Metropolitan Museum, and he began killing people in order to bring about MORE Devourers and the return of the Mayan Gods. DD managed to stab the guy with his own knife, burning him alive- he rescued the kid.

-A new Devourer appeared when the King of the Sewers summoned him, but he was destroyed by Deathlok in a team-up with DD in his "Black Armor" years.

-This guy is barely super-powered at all, and typically loses pretty hard any time he engages with a real superhero. I don't even think he's that strong.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90! Marvel's 1993 Annuals!)

Post by MacynSnow »

The Devourer was an intresting concept,drawn&handled poorly....
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (The Witches 5! Kaolinite! Sailor Saturn! Pharaoh 90!)

Post by greycrusader »

Shock wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:38 pm
greycrusader wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:06 pm I was curious enough about the history behind Elric (who is an anti-villain at worst/anti-hero at best) and his inspirations to do some reading, and yes, as ScotsDragon mentioned, the character is more or less an inversion of Conan and similar characters. The late 1960s/early 1970s saw a LOT of "dark fantasy" archetypes arise, likely due to the turbulence of the era. Karl Von Wagner's Kane the Accursed was earlier even than Elric or Erekose (one of Moorcock's earliest books), and was likely inspired by the Finnish myth of Kullervo and other "doomed" heroes of legend. The best comic book example is Starlin's version of Adam Strange, with the Soul Gem being basically swiped from the Stormbringer concept. Cool stuff, though pretty dated now, because there have been SO many versions and variations done by other writers. Sort of like the "Twilight Zone/O. Henry" ironic-twist endings that are now cliches, but weren't when originally written decades ago.

All my best!
You're a bit off on your timeline. Elric first appeared in the early 60s, well ahead of Kane in the 70s. Moorcock did some epic world-building in scope and depth that is about the equal of Tolkein's and Howard's works. Elric is one of my favorite characters of all time and I think it's a shame he hasn't gotten nearly the attention that some others have.
Hey, you're correct-the first Elric novel was published in 1972, a couple years after Kane debuted, but apparently Elric appeared in short stories (including several novellas) a decade earlier, in the digest sized science fiction/fantasy monthly anthologies. Somehow never read that before. Thanks.

All my best.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

kreuzritter wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:02 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:40 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:33 pm yeah see also....KREUZ?!
I can't believe he actually commented here either..... :shock:
comment nothing, I actually introduced/summed up the witches 5 earlier (well, reposted a summary made by a guy I know)
well that would explain my shock as I was avoiding the Sailor builds like some sort of short skirted, big eyed, plague
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

wait wah....Devourer is killing people to raise an army of the dead but he's a super HERO?
Davies

Re: The Devourer

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:43 pm -The Devourer isn't really someone you'd expect to see Daredevil fight, but his creators are people I've never heard of, so this cries "Filler" to me, even more than the other stuff. He came about when a kid named Tommy Webster spilled his blood on a statue while trying to steal from the Metropolitan Museum, and he began killing people in order to bring about MORE Devourers and the return of the Mayan Gods.
Interestingly a very similar plot would be used for the novels Relic and Reliquary, by Preston and Child, two years later.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I've been a big fan of Preston and Child over the years, especially the earlier stuff. I don't remember it that way. You're talking about the mbwun, right?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Spectrum wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:51 pm I've been a big fan of Preston and Child over the years, especially the earlier stuff. I don't remember it that way. You're talking about the mbwun, right?
Reviewing some facts, I think I was seriously overstating the similarity. :oops:
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:08 pm
Spectrum wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:51 pm I've been a big fan of Preston and Child over the years, especially the earlier stuff. I don't remember it that way. You're talking about the mbwun, right?
Reviewing some facts, I think I was seriously overstating the similarity. :oops:
Everyone's Google-fu misses every ounce in a while....:D
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Davies wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:08 pm
That's cool. Goodness knows the movie version was a loose interpretation.

Let me know if you think of the other story?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Heh- and I was worried these dinks would draw NO comments :). Granted, they're all about Elric and whoever, but it's not like The Devourer is possessing much depth to inspire the same, lol.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Yep, really looks like The Devourer's bio was written too early. Not seeing much serpent. Mayan werewolves?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Spectrum wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:31 pm Yep, really looks like The Devourer's bio was written too early. Not seeing much serpent. Mayan werewolves?
You see,that's why i think DC did a better job with their '93 annuals than Marvel did.OK,not by much,but still.....
Ken

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:55 pm
Spectrum wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:31 pm Yep, really looks like The Devourer's bio was written too early. Not seeing much serpent. Mayan werewolves?
You see,that's why i think DC did a better job with their '93 annuals than Marvel did.OK,not by much,but still.....
Bloodlines?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:32 am
MacynSnow wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:55 pm
Bloodlines?
The very same.As much as i personally think they dropped the ball into the Grand Canyon on it,they at least TRIED to have some sort of cohesiveness to it all......