Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

The Hunter in Darkness

Post by Jabroniville »

THE HUNTER IN DARKNESS
Created By:
Larry Hama & Mark Silvestri
First Appearance: Wolverine #34 (Dec. 1990)
Role: Monster
PL 9 (98)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+9)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 4 (+11)
Expertise (Hunter) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+6)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+8)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Initiative, Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 6 (Acute & Extended Scent, Low-Light Vision, Scent-Tracking, Ultra & Extended Hearing) [6]
"Natural Weapons- Teeth" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Wolverine)- The Hunter in Darkness recalls Wolverine saving his life many years ago.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 13 (98)

-Created for the Wolverine solo book, The Hunter in Darkness was a large, bipedal wolf, but much bigger than normal. It was badly injured in a hunter's trap, but Logan, just having freed himself from Weapon X, came across the creature and spared its life. Years later, the Hunter came across a confrontation between Wolverine & two Mounties, and a criminal. Both men were killed by the crook, but he himself was ripped apart by the Hunter, who recalled Logan from their first confrontation. Later, it was captured by a millionaire who put him on display, angering Wolverine. It was freed in the struggle between Logan, Sabretooth and Lady Deathstrike, and escaped into the sewers beneath Manhattan, where it began hunting albino alligators and encountering Morlocks. Here, he was "adopted" by Elsie-Dee the android, who referred to him as "Puppy", and took him away with her and Albert, where the Hunter was never seen again.

-The Hunter in Darkness is not nearly as powerful as he looks, oddly enough- he's just a simple, typical Scrapper-type wolf-beast.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hoid

Re: Jab's Builds! (Wolverine! Shingen! Native! Lady Deathstrike!)

Post by Hoid »

An amusing note:

‘Hunters in Darkness’ are a tribe of werewolves in Onyx Path’s Werewolf: The Forsaken.
Jabroniville

Yukio

Post by Jabroniville »

YUKIO
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Frank Miller
First Appearance: Wolverine #1 (Sept. 1982)
Role: Bad Girl Sidekick
Group Affiliations: The Mutant Underground
PL 8 (136)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 12 (+14)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+14)
Deception 7 (+10)
Expertise (Thief) 9 (+10)
Expertise (Ronin) 5 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Shuriken) 5 (+13)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+8)
Stealth 5 (+11)

Advantages: 
All-Out Attack, Beginner's Luck, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Shuriken), Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Unarmed, Shuriken) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 2, Second Chance (Falling), Takedown

Equipment:
"Shuriken" Blast 3 (Extras: Multiattack) (Diminished Range -1) (8)

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Shuriken +13 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +4

Complications: 
Motivation (Thrills)- Yukio possesses a near-suicidal disregard for her own safety, and loves to take risks. She believes that this is the only way to truly live.
Relationship (Wolverine)- The two have had a flirtatious relationship in the past.
Relationship (Amiko)- Wolverine left the young girl in Yukio's hands when Mariko Yashida died.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 66--33 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (136)

-Yukio was a near-crazy, excitement-craving Japanese ally of Logan's who teamed up with the X-Men once or twice- it was her crazy passion for life and taking risks that let to Storm mimicking her butch way of dressing and opting for a leather-clad mohawked look, something that the "Claremont Writes Lesbian Subtext" crowd definitely jumped ALL OVER- it's almost impossible to ignore here (the whole "I admire Yukio SO MUCH that I want to dress like her and base my new identity off of her" thing is basically "Lesbian Film 101", I think).

-So Yukio debuts as a thief, calling herself a "ronin" (masterless samurai). She acts as a free spirited sort with a complete disregard for her own safety, because danger is the ultimate adventure. She was sent to kill Wolverine by Lord Shingen, but instead got a crush on Logan and decided to help him defeat the Yakuza head. In a later adventure, she aided the X-Men against Viper and Silver Samurai, which is where Storm met and basically fell in love with her. Oddly enough, despite inspiring the "Punk Storm" era, they encountered each other little- she instead pops up in minor roles here and there, helping Wolverine against Ogun or engaging in a rivalry with Gambit.

-When Wolverine was tasked with the care of a young girl, Amiko, he first pawned her off on Mariko, and then Yukio, when Mariko died. Yukio found herself enjoying her new role of mother figure, teaching Amiko the martial arts, but she was left wheelchair-bound by Omega Red & Lady Deathstrike. She wished for Logan to kill her, but he refused, and she eventually recovered. She was reunited with Storm when they were all investigating The Arena- a "Fight Club" for mutants. She was left wheelchair-bound AGAIN when Logan was possess by a demon ("Hellverine") which is an odd duplication of a recent story (like... did somebody forget, or did they deliberately copy things?). She's later shown running an illegal nightclub in Osaka, where War Machine asks her for some information.

-Yukio is a pretty skilled thief, but not a match for major superheroes or superhumans.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Tyger Tiger

Post by Jabroniville »

It's like every picture is Dragon Lady-er than the last.

TYGER TIGER (Jessan Hoan)
Created By:
Chris Claremont & Marc Silvestri
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #229 (May 1988)
Role: Somewhat-Good Crime Boss
Country of Origin: Singapore
Group Affiliations: None
PL 9 (135)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 5 (+9)
Expertise (Crime Boss) 8 (+11)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+9)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Connected, Defensive Attack, Equipment 4 (Assorted Weapons), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown, Well-Informed

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Weapons +13 (+4-5 Damage, DC 19-20)
Guns +11 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Lost Inhibitions)- The Reavers altered her brain chemistry, creating a more uninhibited woman, and as a result, Jessan's family rejected her.
Motivation (Power in Madripoor)- A crime boss or dictator in the island nation of Madripoor, Jessan desires power and peace for her people. She will cause a great deal of crime, but rejects drugs and slavery on moral grounds.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 14 (135)

-And here we go: Seven years and two months ago, I posted Tyger Tiger for my original "Foreign Heroes" section. I didn't do so again the most recent time I did that set, because I was waiting to do a "Wolverine" set. For this reason, Tyger Tiger was then the OLDEST Marvel build I'd never re-posted to either Ronin Army or Echoes- an incredible length of time, considering that's not long after 3rd Edition came out.

-Tyger Tiger's a Wolverine supporting character from the "Ninja Era" of comics' Dark Age. She's a Singaporean girl who was brainwashed by The Reavers after they'd robbed her family's bank, but was saved by Wolvie before she could go over all the way. Her family rejecting her for mysteriously being the only survivor of her family, she was left with fewer inhibitions thanks to the brainwashing, thus turning her to a more criminal bent (but not all the way).

-She moved to Madripoor (Marvel's crime-ridden Singapore analogue... though Singapore is more of a police state, not a pirate haven any longer), where she joined the criminal element and named herself after the William Blake poem The Tyger. This brought her into an alliance with Wolverine in his "Patch" identity, as he was hanging around Madripoor being all mysterious. They both hunted the man who sent the Reavers after her family's bank in the first place- Hoan decapitating the man.

-As Tyger Tiger, she took over the criminal element of Madripoor, but maintained enough of her morality to refuse to deal in either drugs nor slavery. Wolverine allows her to operate, but engages himself as a "moral check" on her at the same time. Years and years later, Madame Hydra is booted out of Madripoor, and Tyger Tiger (now thought of as a "Robin Hood" figure) is installed as the leader by Tony Stark- he & Logan figure that she's the only person who can both be accepted by the people, and lead the country effectively. Later, Madripoor is taken from her by Wolverine's son Daken, but Gambit & X-23 help her take it back. The character has been largely absent from Wolverine for ages, last appearing as a "fence" for exotic animal parts in Savage Wolverine (where Logan uses the distinctly rare-for-Marvel-phrase "helps wealthy businessmen get their peckers hard", referring to ground-up rhino horn and other things).

-I've personally never seen her fight in a comic, but she's a really good PL 9 with her weapons.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Wolverine! Shingen! Native! Lady Deathstrike!)

Post by Jabroniville »

So like I said before, this set puts out a LOT of the builds that'd been piling up in my "To-Do" list for Marvel over the years. It's made the set VERY cathartic, despite the sheer number of "Guys With Claws" on the list.

I mean, for "Atomic Think Tank" builds, we have Tyger Tiger (more than seven years ago!), Bloodscream & Roughouse (about six), and more! Maverick & Wolverine go way back to the debut of Ronin Army, about four years ago now. And both Native and The Hunter in Darkness were on "The List" for AGES, and both got skipped over when I got to the "N" and "H" guys, because I was saving them for Wolverine's turn. And that meant there were these two holes in my index of names, and that's just infuriating :).

The things you have to put up with when you're insane and overly-focused on making sure everything's in the right order :).
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Tyger Tiger

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:37 am Image
It's like she walked right out of an old Pulps cover, Tommy Gun and all. I love it.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
scc

Re: Jab's Builds! (Native! Lady Deathstrike! The Reavers! Hunter in Darkness!)

Post by scc »

So behind on your posts Jab. I love the Reavers. They always seemed like jobbers to me. I never understood why the X-men felt the need to go through the Siege to escape their deaths at the hands of the Reavers. But hey it made for some fun stories.
scc

Post by scc »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:37 am ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

It's like every picture is Dragon Lady-er than the last.
You say that like that is a bad thing. ;)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Tyger Tyger must account for two-thirds of all double-sided tape sales in Southeast Asia.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:59 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 5:37 am Image
It's like she walked right out of an old Pulps cover, Tommy Gun and all. I love it.
As someone whose majority of PC'a have a "Pulp" feel to them,i quite agree with Ares.
ESPECIALLY this photo,as it's simply beautiful..... :D
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

And I’m sitting here biting my tongue, trying not to point out all the errors in the drawing of the Thompson.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:20 pm And I’m sitting here biting my tongue, trying not to point out all the errors in the drawing of the Thompson.
....It could be a Short Tompson,but from the angle it's hard to tell....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The shell casings on the ground look like rifle casings, and are definitely two or three times longer than the drum magazine; the drum magazine has no winding mechanism; the drum magazine models of the Thompson had a top-mounted charging handle that this one lacks; there’s no barrel shroud; and, most glaringly, the muzzle is wide enough to shoot a cannonball...

Too bad the local shooting range is closed today. I really feel the sudden urge to take my Thompson to the range.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

As an artist, I can tell you that drawing guns can suck my ass- it's a totally miserable experience, made worse that the slightest error will make it look "off", even to a layman, and that you'll never do it well enough to please gun enthusiast weirdos :P.
Jabroniville

Omega Red

Post by Jabroniville »

OMEGA RED (Arkady Rossovich)
Created By:
John Byrne & Jim Lee
First Appearance: X-Men #4 (Jan. 1992)
Role: The Rival (to Wolverine), Status Affecter
Group Affiliations: The Hand, The Red Mafia
PL 11 (228)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+11)
Deception 6 (+6)
Expertise (Crime Lord) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Assassin/Agent) 6 (+8)
Expertise (History) 2 (+4)
Insight 8 (+10)
Intimidation 12 (+12)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 6 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Close Attack 2, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Equipment (Carbonadium Armour +2), Evasion, Extraordinary Effort, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Coils), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Last Stand, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 3, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown 2, Tracking

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Death Pheromones"
Affliction 6 (Fort; Dazed & Fatigued/Stunned & Exhausted/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Free Action +2) (Flaws: Scent-Dependent) [36]
Linked to
Weaken Stamina 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Free Action +2) (Flaws: Scent-Dependent) [20]

"Maximized Life Drain" Weaken Stamina 8 [8]
Regeneration 10 (Flaws: Source- Requires Life Drain) [5]

"Carbonadium Coils"
Elongation 2 (Flaws: Limited to Coils) [1]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]
Extra Limbs 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Coil Smash +14 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Death Spores +5-6 Area (+5 Weaken & +6 Affliction, DC 15 & 16)
Life Drain +14 (+8 Weaken, DC 18)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +8 (+10 Armour), Fortitude +10, Will +8

Complications:
Obsession (The Carbonadium Synthezier)- Without this device, Arkady's Death Factor is permanent (thanks to Carbonadium poisoning), and he cannot live without draining energy.
Weakness (Death Factor)- Arkady's life force itself will begin to drain if he does not steal the life forces of others with his abilities.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 64--32 / Advantages: 32 / Powers: 73 / Defenses: 15 (228)

Omega Red- Coulda-Been Villain:
-Omega Red is one of my faves from back in the day, mainly because of his awesome, unique Jim Lee-drawn appearance. A giant albino with huge freaking tentacles, a death-effect, red armour, and the whole badass aura of being Russian? I was there, dude. The fact that he could absolutely kick the CRAP out of an entire team of X-Men made him a real terror. I mean, "New Villain Stink" is a thing for a reason, and this was one of those cases where it really made an impression on me.

-Unfortunately, they demoted him pretty quickly, having him lose to Generation-X (no, really- Chamber WHUPPED him), and be the lackey to the one-time villain Soul Skinner. Later revisions haven't made him the elite villain he could've been early on, effectively turning him into an elite Hired Goon (despite an appearance in the X-Men Fighting Game... though that could just be the Japanese game designers demanding someone with tentacles being put in :)), but I'm still waiting. He's one of the X-villains with potential, who WASN'T driven into the ground from over-use, but nonetheless turned out to be pretty minor (he was a Russian version of The Kingpin for a bit).

Evil Russian Baddie:
-Arkady Rossovich was an elite killer and cold-hearted murderer, killing dozens before being recruited into the Soviet "Super-Soldier" program- the result of a Russian system to create their own Captain America. Because OF COURSE Russia would take a murderer and decide to TRAIN HIM TO BE A BETTER KILLER. They gave him some "Carbonadium" metal tentacles, but these had a fatal side-effect- he had to drain the life out of people in order to maintain his own survival. Only the "Carbonadium Synthesizer" could save his life. It was then that "Team X"- a band made up of earlier versions of Wolverine, Sabretooth and Maverick- arrived, and they stole away with it. This was their final mission- they blew up over Sabretooth casually murdering the double-agent they'd come to rescue, fearing her a "liability" (Logan calls him a "Psychotic sonova--" and implies he murdered her in cold blood because he panicked).

-Unable to survive on his own without murder (and generally being uncontrollabe), Rossovich was placed into cryogenic storage for decades, only being taken out of it thanks to the willing sacrifice of a dozen Hand Ninjas, at the behest of Matsu'o Tsurayaba. He hunted Logan, believing that he knew where the Synthesizer was- he beat Logan once (as well as one-punching The Beast, then taking out Cyclops & Jubilee in one move each), but was beaten in the second fight as the X-Men escaped.

Subsequent Appearances:
-Created by Jim Lee JUST before he left Marvel, Omega Red was kind of left without a protector, and so he just became "one of those guys", showing up in various stories. In one book, he's beaten and mind-controlled by the Soul Skinner, who himself dies in that story. He jobs out in Generation-X in a "humiliating" manner according to Wikipedia, and later loses to Daredevil & The Black Widow. He FINALLY got a regular gig in more modern times, acting as a head of the Russian Mafia, and dealing with Wolverine off and on. He's captured, then sprung by a deal between the U.S. & Russia, and beaten again by Logan, Nightcrawler & Colossus. He allies with Wild Child and attempts to dip Logan into molten metal to finally kill him off once and for all, but Wild Child isntead suffers that fate- Omega Red is later killed by the Muramasa Blade, wielded by Logan himself. He briefly reappeared in Hell (Logan went there for some stuff), but was finally resurrected by some Russian baddies, eventually scoring a true resurrection before being arrested.

-Omega Red remains one of those odd villains who's got some credibility, but is more of a "short arc" kind of guy with no credibility as a mastermind- he's just too much of a blank-slate "Nineties Villain" with not much personality beyond "Hates Wolverine" and "Wants the Carbonadium Synthesizer". Kind of a shame- he's one of those baddies who could really have been boosted into something- he's one Good Showing or Movie Appearance away from being a big deal.

The Power of Omega Red:
-Omega Red is a freakishly devastating build, PL 11 with his Life Drain, and PL 10.5-11 on offense in general (and PL 11 with his Parry defense). Combined with his versatility and constantly-active powers, it's enough to challenge a whole squad of X-Men, especially when combined with his normal Death Spores, capable of dropping Gambit AND Rogue simultaneously, and killing dozens of normal humans in his radius. New Villain Stink allowed him to cut a hole through any X-Team initially (Beast was one-punched, and Cyclops was taken out in an instant), and even after that he was quite dangerous. FEAR the "Free Action" Extra- he can use it simultaneously with any of his other powers, only turning it off when "allies" come within reach. It's a Linked Affliction (many victims just drop unconscious) & Weaken Stamina (others die) effect, and is one of the most dangerous things a super-villain has ever used as a baseline power.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.