Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Bloodscream & Roughouse! Sabretooth! Cyber!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Aren’t there different types of adamantium? I seem to recall people talking about True Adamantium as if it’s something special, is that a real thing or was this just “fan wank” to explain why Wolverine and Ultron are special despite the Nineties introducing 24,601 other guys with adamantium claws, arms, teeth, tendrils, bullets, knives, and kitchen sinks?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:20 pm There are two places where vibranium can be found? I know about the Great Mound in Wakanda, what’s the other one?
The Savage Land, where there's a deposit of a type of vibranium with different properties. This is the stuff Hank Pym used to beat Ultron to death in the Busiek run.
danelsan wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:26 pm Huh. I didn't know the components necessary for it were prevalent enough to allow for industrial-level production. Since Ultron often wipes the floor with whole Avenger teams, Iron Man never made an armor out of it because...? Surely he can buy it or set up his own factory. Doom as well.
Comics, everybody! My suspicion is that it doesn't work well with the rest of the Iron Man tech, and/or the US government has some pretty strong restrictions on its manufacture, and I have no idea about Doom.
Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:42 pm Aren’t there different types of adamantium? I seem to recall people talking about True Adamantium as if it’s something special, is that a real thing or was this just “fan wank” to explain why Wolverine and Ultron are special despite the Nineties introducing 24,601 other guys with adamantium claws, arms, teeth, tendrils, bullets, knives, and kitchen sinks?
There are three known types of adamantium. There's the proto-adamantium that, with Wakandan vibranium, make up the known components of Captain America's shield. There's regular adamantanium, which is the indestructible stuff most people think about. And there's secondary adamantium, basically a lesser version that has more high-grade steel in it, that is only sort of indestructible. This is all explained the Official Handbook entry on the stuff. My guess is that there are different qualities of secondary, as well.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

See, how silly that is folks!? The DC Universe just has sensible things like dilusteel, inertron, batmanium*, and supermanium**.

* Yes. Really.
** Yes. Really.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

Haha, that's three Scary Shiny Glasses guys in a row! Comics really know how to be imaginative with their bad guys.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Gamebook wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:22 pm Haha, that's three Scary Shiny Glasses guys in a row! Comics really know how to be imaginative with their bad guys.
And the first pic of Malcom Colcord reminds me of not only Mr. Burns's "Excellent!" pose, but also Gendo Ikari, one of the bigger users of the "Scary Shiny Glasses" trope:
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Davies wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:54 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:20 pm There are two places where vibranium can be found? I know about the Great Mound in Wakanda, what’s the other one?
The Savage Land, where there's a deposit of a type of vibranium with different properties. This is the stuff Hank Pym used to beat Ultron to death in the Busiek run.
danelsan wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:26 pm Huh. I didn't know the components necessary for it were prevalent enough to allow for industrial-level production. Since Ultron often wipes the floor with whole Avenger teams, Iron Man never made an armor out of it because...? Surely he can buy it or set up his own factory. Doom as well.
Comics, everybody! My suspicion is that it doesn't work well with the rest of the Iron Man tech, and/or the US government has some pretty strong restrictions on its manufacture, and I have no idea about Doom.
Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:42 pm Aren’t there different types of adamantium? I seem to recall people talking about True Adamantium as if it’s something special, is that a real thing or was this just “fan wank” to explain why Wolverine and Ultron are special despite the Nineties introducing 24,601 other guys with adamantium claws, arms, teeth, tendrils, bullets, knives, and kitchen sinks?
There are three known types of adamantium. There's the proto-adamantium that, with Wakandan vibranium, make up the known components of Captain America's shield. There's regular adamantanium, which is the indestructible stuff most people think about. And there's secondary adamantium, basically a lesser version that has more high-grade steel in it, that is only sort of indestructible. This is all explained the Official Handbook entry on the stuff. My guess is that there are different qualities of secondary, as well.
To add in to Davies Proto Admantium in the Original Marvel RPG FASERIP was monstrous material, Secondary Adamantium was unearthly and true admantium was class 1000 Material strength

Ultron was coated in true admantium as was wolverines skeleton making them class 1000

the TESS robot got a second adamantium coating making it unearthly class material

Caps shield mixed with the vibranium was a class 1000 material as wlel.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Davies

Post by Davies »

For what that means -- if Thor uses his full strength to hit a cannon shell made out of true adamantium with Mjolnir, he dents it. Slightly. He tries that with a secondary adamantium shell and you have a disc-shaped piece of secondary adamantium in fairly short order.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

My build/"statline" for Adamantium explains some more of the absurdities of it.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Gamebook wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:22 pm Haha, that's three Scary Shiny Glasses guys in a row! Comics really know how to be imaginative with their bad guys.
It's funny because most of them were created for the same purpose. Really, all the Weapon X guys are just the "Same Secretive Dude". I was actually planning on leaving them all out, but then they just popped up on a list of names on Wikipedia, so I figured I'd do the research... and it turned out they're all nobodies. Except one of them killed Wolverine! So I gave them mini-bios :).
Jabroniville

Romulus

Post by Jabroniville »

ROMULUS
Created By:
Jeph Loeb & Simone Bianchi
First Appearance: Wolverine #50 (March 2007)
Role: Secret Forebear, Big Liar
Group Affiliations: The Lupines
PL 10 (215)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 8 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+7)
Athletics 8 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+14)
Deception 5 (+10)
Expertise (History) 8 (+16)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+12)
Expertise (Business) 4 (+12)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+7)
Perception 4 (+8)
Persuasion 3 (+8)
Stealth 5 (+10)
Technology 3 (+11)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit 5 (Wealth), Fascination (Deception), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 5, Startle

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Healing"
"Healing Factor"
Regeneration 12 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [13]
Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]

"Animal Senses" Senses 9 (Acute, Extended & Accurate Scent, Extended Vision & Hearing, Low-Light Vision, Tracking 2- Scent) [9]

"Adamantium Skeleton"
"Claws" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Split) (Extras: Penetrating 7) [14]
Protection 2 [2]
Enhanced Advantages 1: Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness) [1]

"Minor Telepath"
Affliction 6 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed Memories) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2, Continuous +3) (Flaws: Limited to Memories, Limited to Sleeping Opponents) [24]

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Claws +12 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +5 (+7 Skeleton), Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Finding a Successor)- Romulus wants Logan to take over for him.

Total: Abilities: 96 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 66 / Defenses: 13 (215)

-This guy has "Jeph Loeb Stink" all OVER him- Romulus was introduced in fairly-recent times as the forebear of a race of beings that descended from wolves the way humanity did from apes (that's stupid, but okay then), and of course he's an even BIGGER "Mirror Image Villain" of Logan than even Sabretooth was, packing Adamantium Claws (of course FOUR of them- not just three) and everything! Living for millennia (he's shown leading the Lupine tribe in prehistoric times, then being an Emperor of Rome), he raised Logan's son Daken to be a ruthless killer, and was even behind the Weapon X program (OH GOD LOEB PLEASE STOP). Then it's revealed that the origins of the Lupines was made up, and his claws are artificial... before he bonds Adamantium to himself in order to become just like Logan, putting the claws in their original configuration as his gauntlets. He then suggests that Logan had ASKED to have Adamantium bonded to his skeleton, and his memory to be wiped, but this has not been confirmed. What a total nightmare.

-Romulus first shows up in the present days messing with the various "Clawed" mutants- re-powering Feral and Thornn, and using Wild Child as his chief minion. Soon, Feral, Thornn and Sabretooth are all killed, and he reveals his origin to Wolverine, stating that certain mutants evolved from wolves. And that he's in charge of Weapon X from way back in the day. And that he basically adopted Daken as a boy and raised him to be a killer. He eventually attacks, but is pretty easily beaten once his claws turn out to be artificial (Logan points out that he isn't the "lesser version"- it's Romulus who wants to be like LOGAN). He cheap-shots Logan out and lets him live, taunting him as a result. In their next encounter, Romulus is left in the Darkforce Dimension by Wolverine & Cloak.

-He eventually reappears, while a sister named Remus debuts and tells Logan the whole "wolf" story is a fake (which he'd already guessed). Romulus's TRUE goal is to create a "Master Race" of regenerating, adamantium-laced mutants, with Logan as their template. Romulus turns out to have already bonded adamantium to his skeleton and actual claws this time, then tells Wolverine that HE was the one who asked to have adamantium claws in the first place. Wolverine wins in this encounter as well.

-So this guy ends up being kind of a crap-fest of rubbish ideas- Logan already HAD a Mirror Image Villain, first of all, and Sabretooth, despite massive over-exposure, does the role just fine. Wolverine ALSO didn't need a "Mastermind" villain. And when it comes right down to it, this guy was a HORRIBLE EXAMPLE OF BOTH- he claims to be this master manipulator and great fighter, yet Logan just defeats him EVERY TIME THEY'VE FOUGHT. It's completely bone-headed to give your villain all this verbose hype, only to turn around and job him out (a continuous Loeb problem is that his protagonists are almost always TOO GOOD at fighting, and crush their rivals too easily). Never mind that the endless retcons were already stupid, Romulus turning out to be behind Weapon X is dumb, and making him a pathetic wannabe of Logan just makes him fail at seeming impressive, too. This guy is just an absolute dumpster fire.

-Romulus is supposed to be super-awesome (a scrapper with minor, memory-altering telepathy), but he's lost to Logan in what seems like every single one of their fights, so he's actually worse overall. Kind of a dumb failure of a character. It's almost like... this Loeb character just ISN'T A GOOD WRITER.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davies

Re: Romulus

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm -He eventually reappears, while a sister named Remus
Oh for God's sake.
Jabroniville

Re: Romulus

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:55 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:39 pm -He eventually reappears, while a sister named Remus
Oh for God's sake.
I said that like fifteen times while researching his bio. It's like they stuck every dumb thing they could onto one character.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

catsi563 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:33 pm
To add in to Davies Proto Admantium in the Original Marvel RPG FASERIP was monstrous material, Secondary Adamantium was unearthly and true admantium was class 1000 Material strength

Ultron was coated in true admantium as was wolverines skeleton making them class 1000

the TESS robot got a second adamantium coating making it unearthly class material

Caps shield mixed with the vibranium was a class 1000 material as wlel.
Hmmn. I always thought Proto-Adamantium was the strongest and the er, Prototype for all other Adamantiums. I also thought Cap's shield was a mixture if this Proto-Adamantium + Vibranium. This formula was lost. Cap's shield is the only thing composed of this unique and lost Adamantium.

True Adamantium was the strongest that could later be made, weaker than the Proto-Adamantium part of Cap's shield, although for all intents and purposes, indestructible. True Adamantium is what everyone from the 1970's to today wants.

But sometimes, all they get is a slightly darker form of Adamantium known as Secondary Adamantium. While it is Adamantium, a strong enough force like Wonder Man's fists, backed by his strength, was enough to get through a 1 foot thick wall.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Actually Stark built an adamantium-based armor in the late '60s (I think it was during Jim Starlin's run), but abandoned it due to some big problems. At time it was established that to make adamantium even remotely flexible it had to be worked with a gizmo called "molecular agitator", hence Stark had to incorporate one in the armor, but it turned out that its circtuits didn't work well under combat conditions. Of course Ultron's agitator in encased deep in its chest.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Davies

Post by Davies »

You know what kills me about the "evolved wolf" concept? Any good encyclopedia would tell them that wolverines are mustelids not canids. (That's right, wolverines are more closely related to weasels than they are to wolves.)