Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Pacific Rim! The Space Giants! The Starjammers!)

Post by Ares »

Jack of Spades wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:04 pm And here I thought it was because "Black Dwarf" was a stupid name for a pale giant.
I think Hickman was going for some kind of irony.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:55 pm Black Dwarf's skin is supposedly unbreakable, too. He also had an axe but I doubt it'd boost his damage output too much.
Funny thing is, I was hoping their bios would be relatively complete and these would be easy builds. Instead, they had that classic "Vague Modern Character" stuff, and I actually had to dig for the exact effects of Proxima Midnight's weapon, among other things (different sites had different stats for it).
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:55 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:55 pm Black Dwarf's skin is supposedly unbreakable, too. He also had an axe but I doubt it'd boost his damage output too much.
Funny thing is, I was hoping their bios would be relatively complete and these would be easy builds. Instead, they had that classic "Vague Modern Character" stuff, and I actually had to dig for the exact effects of Proxima Midnight's weapon, among other things (different sites had different stats for it).
Well, Thorp does have builds for them, too.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote:Well, Thorp does have builds for them, too.
Who'd'ya think I copied when I was doing these :)?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Proxima Midnight

Post by Jabroniville »

... still would.

PROXIMA MIDNIGHT
Created By:
Jonathan Hickman & Mike Deodato, Jr.
First Appearance: New Avengers #8 (Sept. 2013)
Role: Weapon-User
Group Affiliations: The Black Order/Cull Obsidian, The Cabal
PL 11 (167)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+12)
Expertise (Space Warrior) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 5 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Spear) 1 (+9)
Technology 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Spear Created From Star Trapped in Quantum Singularity" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [54]
"Thrown Spear That Never Misses" Blast 11 (Extras: Perception-Ranged) Linked to Weaken Stamina 11 (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2, Progressive +2) (88) -- (90 points)
  • AE: "Spear Stab" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical 3, Reach) (Extras: Penetrating 9) (16)
  • AE: "Revert to Star Form" Snare 17 (Flaws: Touch Range) (Inaccurate -2) (30)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Spear +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Thrown Spear -- (+11 Perception-Ranged Damage & Weaken, DC 26 & 21)
Star Form Snare +5 (+17 Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (The Black Order)
Relationship (Corvus Glaive)- The two are married, but never really interact beyond her calling him "husband" in casual conversation.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 14 (167)

-Proxima Midnight is a blue-skinned weapon-user who faced Namor initially, but failed to make much of an impact before she was frozen solid by the son of Thanos, along with her boss. She and Thanos were freed by Namor to help him in destroying worlds that threatened their dimension, but then didn't get up to much aside from being a lackey. Finally, with the universe saved post-Secret War, Proxima & Thanos joined up with Hela, who eventually killed Proxima in order to prove herself worthy to the Mad Titan. She was resurrected by The Challenger for his own Black Order.

-A powerful character who nonetheless rarely wins, Proxima is mainly known for that INSANE spear, which can hit any target, never missing, and also apparently poisoning them to death. The Snare is a weird one-off, apparently trapping The Hulk and forcing him to revert to Bruce Banner- I dunno if that power ever appeared again.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Space Giants! The Starjammers! The Black Order!)

Post by Ares »

Except when that spear is thrown at Capt. America. Who just catches it like a boss.

Honestly, they way these guys are described makes me think of Grant Morrison.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:12 pm Except when that spear is thrown at Capt. America. Who just catches it like a boss.

Honestly, they way these guys are described makes me think of Grant Morrison.
I get that impression a little bit. A bit vague; a bit esoteric; with powers that can be difficult to describe. But they're rooted a bit more in the "Marvel" style of "semi-distinct Named Jobbers" and don't have names like Gonzo the Mechanical Bastard or what-not.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

They would’ve fit right in with the villains introduced during Morrison’s run on JLA.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:36 pm They would’ve fit right in with the villains introduced during Morrison’s run on JLA.
Now to Defend Morrison,at least a little bit,he was better suited to the abstract Vertigo stuff IMHO.At least he didn't try to jam a political message down our throats(although a majority of his Preacher stuff was a slightly subtle jab at organized Religion...).
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:49 am
Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:36 pm They would’ve fit right in with the villains introduced during Morrison’s run on JLA.
Now to Defend Morrison,at least a little bit,he was better suited to the abstract Vertigo stuff IMHO.At least he didn't try to jam a political message down our throats(although a majority of his Preacher stuff was a slightly subtle jab at organized Religion...).
1. Preacher was Garth Ennis, not Grant Morrison.

2. Preacher is only subtle if you compare it to subsequent series by Ennis (The Boys, Crossed, Chronicles of Wormwood, Pilgrim, etc.).
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

bsdigitalq wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:18 am
MacynSnow wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:49 am
1. Preacher was Garth Ennis, not Grant Morrison.

2. Preacher is only subtle if you compare it to subsequent series by Ennis (The Boys, Crossed, Chronicles of Wormwood, Pilgrim, etc.).
Ah,i withdraw my earlier defense then,bash away!
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Actually, I enjoyed Morrison’s JLA run. It hasn’t aged well, being very deeply mired in all the Late Nineties-ness of its era, but I was definitely a fan at the time and still think it’s above average overall.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Corvus Glaive

Post by Jabroniville »

CORVUS GLAIVE
Created By:
Jonathan Hickman & Jim Cheung
First Appearance: Infinity: Free Comic Book Day (May 2013)
Role: Weapon Guy
Group Affiliations: The Black Order/Cull Obsidian, The Cabal
PL 10 (133)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+11)
Expertise (Space Warrior) 8 (+10)
Insight 5 (+7)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 5 (+8)
Technology 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Constantly Un-Dies" Immortality 10 (Flaws: Source- Glaive) [10]

"Glaive" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [12]
"Thrown Glaive" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical 2) (Extras: Ranged 9, Penetrating 5) (19) -- (20 points)
  • AE: "It Can Slice Through Anything, But Never Hits" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical 4) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (15)
Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Thrown Glaive +8 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Glaive Slice +11 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (The Black Order)
Relationship (Proxima Midnight)- The two are married, but never really interact beyond her calling him "husband" in casual conversation.

Total: Abilities: 76 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 13 (133)

-Drawn by Jim Cheung rather than Mike Deodato, Corvus is a weapon user meant to be very visually independent of Thanos- more slender, crouched and pale instead of built and purple. However, he was pretty much a Jobber, being "obliterated" by Hyperion, recovering only beacuse his Glaive gives him regenerative powers. He meets with Namor and frees Proxima (his wife) and Thanos, forming a new "Cabal" that devastates worlds, thus saving the 616 Universe. He and Proxima are minor characters from this point on, but he reappears after the Secret War mega-event forming a new Black Order all over the galaxy. However, Thanos arrives and is pissed at his presumption- the two fight, with Thanos being the victor. Not wanting to die cruelly by the hand of Thanos, Corvus commits suicide with his destroyed glaive.

-The Black Order is revived by The Challenger and sent against The Grandmaster's Lethal Legion. When the Human Torch seemingly dies, a furious Rogue, who'd been in love with him, tore into Glaive, executing him in vicious combat. He reappears following the end of the battle, having returned to life a THIRD time.

-Corvus Glaive has a blade that "Can Slice Through Anything", which of course means he can never hit anyone important, and he's such a friggin' jobber than he's not even a proper PL 10. Seriously, he's died THREE TIMES. He's clearly always taking on guys way out of his weight class (particularly Thanos & Hyperion), but even Rogue can pretty easily beat him. Corvus sucks.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

In a strictly M&M sense,Corvus and Proxima would make Excellent Precursors to somebody like Omega,Lord Of The Terminus or the Star Khan(if you want to keep the their Character Flavor).Remember,just because Comic Book companies have to keep all their heroes alive don't mean GM's have to be as gentle.... :evil:
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hoid wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:00 pm ‘Black Dwarf’ is a term for a type of dead star. Thanos being death-obsessed and all...
Their names are black-themed, too. BLACK Dwarf, Proxima MIDNIGHT, CORVUS Glaive (corvids include crows & ravens), EBONY Maw, Supergia... wait.