Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab's Builds! (Tai Cheetah, Foxy Roxy, Dali Llama! Luke Cage!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:28 pmMy only real problem with this pic is how....unisex it looks.I think it has more to do with the modern animation styles than anything else,it's just all so rounded off.
As an example,picture in your head a Male and Female body side-by-side(i'll say modestly covered so i don't get yelled at)around the age of 10-11 years old(as the above picture looks).Now,notice how much more blockier the Male form is than the Female,even at that Age.Now you can't sit there and tell me the above pic couldn't be misconstrued as a Boy given how the Art direction went.
Hmm... my earlier reply seems to have been lost. There has been at least one study involving observers trying to identify the sex of a pre-adolescent from images that don't show primary sexual characteristics. Subjects of either sex were predominantly identified as female. So it's less a matter of females gaining curves and more of a matter of males losing them (inasmuch as a child's body has curves).
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Tai Cheetah, Foxy Roxy, Dali Llama! Luke Cage!)

Post by MacynSnow »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:59 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:28 pmMy only real problem with this pic is how....unisex it looks.I think it has more to do with the modern animation styles than anything else,it's just all so rounded off.
As an example,picture in your head a Male and Female body side-by-side(i'll say modestly covered so i don't get yelled at)around the age of 10-11 years old(as the above picture looks).Now,notice how much more blockier the Male form is than the Female,even at that Age.Now you can't sit there and tell me the above pic couldn't be misconstrued as a Boy given how the Art direction went.
Hmm... my earlier reply seems to have been lost. There has been at least one study involving observers trying to identify the sex of a pre-adolescent from images that don't show primary sexual characteristics. Subjects of either sex were predominantly identified as female. So it's less a matter of females gaining curves and more of a matter of males losing them (inasmuch as a child's body has curves).
Like i said,it's mostly my gripe against today's "cookie-cutter" animation style,so you can chuck it up to that....Anyway,onto more Awesomely Bad Luke Cage Villians!
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Luke Cage! Discus & Stiletto! Shades! Power Man!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:37 pm Marvel has oodles of jobbers, but they’ve never really been good at developing them. Most of DC’s most popular bad guys are jobbers too, but writers have given them much more attention over the years.

But you’ll find people happily buying merch for and writing blog posts about how much they love Penguin, Riddler, the Ventriloquist, Abracadabra, Mirror Master, or the like. I mean, let’s face it, if the public sees a cover that has Spidey fighting Boomerang people probably won’t pick it up. But the Flash fighting Captain Boomerang and it will sell.
Which is funny, because the biggest detraction I have against DC is their LACK of notable Jobbers. Marvel has oodles of horrible bad guys and jokes, but DC's are usually more reserved and restrained. And many of them debuted and were barely ever seen again. Every time I statted something like Suicide Squad or The Outsiders, I discovered tons of names that haven't appeared in comics ever again.

Of course, DC tends to focus more on "Rogues Galleries". Captain Boomerang isn't a jobber like, say, Comanche is. He appears in COUNTLESS books as a recurring guy. The Flash & Batman in particular took major focus on that, to great success. But Superman? Green Lantern? Their jobbers are so bad that their Rogues Galleries are essentially a handful of guys and whomever the writers have created lately.
Jabroniville

Hardcore

Post by Jabroniville »

HARDCORE (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Marcus McLaurin & Dwayne Turner
First Appearance: Cage #1 (April 1992)
Role: Rival Villain, Assassin
Group Affiliation: The Untouchables
PL 9 (129)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+7)
Close Attack (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Assassin) 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 1 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Japanese Weapons) 2 (+12)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Equipment 7 (Japanese Weaponry), Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Hands That Can Cut Steel" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Improved Critical 2, Split, Penetrating 8) [15]

"Kinetic Kevlar Vest" (Flaws: Removable) [9]
Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 5) (11 points)

Equipment:
"Weapon Arsenal"
"Shock Drug Gun" Blast 5 (Diminished Range -1) Linked to Affliction 7 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Cloud) (Diminished Range -1) (29) -- (33)
  • AE: "Shuriken & Sanjira Bullets" Blast 4 (Extras: Multiattack) (12)
  • AE: "Manrikisa Chains With Tasers" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach, Fast Grab, Improved Hold) Linked to Affliction 7 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reach) (12)
  • AE: "Chains With Explosives" Damage 8 (Feats: Reach) (9)
  • AE: "Plastic Explosives" Blast 8 (Feats: Triggered- Time) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (17)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Steel-Cutting Hands +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Shock Drug Gun +10 (+5 Ranged Damage & +7 Ranged Affliction, DC 20 & 17)
Shuriken +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Chains With Tasers +10 (+5 Damage & +7 Affliction, DC 20 & 17)
Chains With Explosives +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+10 Kevlar, +3 Impervious), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 17 / Powers: 25 / Defenses: 10 (129)

-Hardcore was sort of chosen to be Cage's full-time Rival in the new Cage series Marvel created in 1992. Hardcore was a pretty generic "Rival" villain, right down to being black just like Cage. He ALSO had the "Shonen Manga" type power of "normal human, but he learned to MAKE HIS HANDS CUT STEEL", which is a handy thing to have against a man with steel-like skin. Hardcore tried to kill Cage (and members of his family), but was ultimately killed when his car exploded- his own exploding weapon had set the spark. Hardcore is thus one of those weird things where a guy was supposed to be a big recurring villain to a hero, but was forgotten completely only a couple of years later- keep in mind his rival is a guy who still has to fight BLACK MARIAH and MISTER FISH- you KNOW Hardcore sucks!

-Hardcore ends up being a pretty bad dude, being able to do horrible damage to even Cage if necessary. He fights like a Martial Artist, but adds in Cutty Hands and a boatload of strange, off-kilter equipment that utilizes tasers and drugs and stuff- '90s Villains tended to be big on large arsenals (so did '90s Heroes, to think of it), and he can modify a few of his caps to be more accurate and harder to hit. A short-lived guy like this could be PL 8-9, but I think holding his own with Luke Cage all those times, and being an Accurate/Powerful Guy works out in his favour.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

I think the problem is mostly with the hairline on Princess Adora/She-Ra-it should be a bit "softer" (the pattern at the temples looks like an adolescent boy's hairline) and fall more over her ears (because otherwise it can't help but remind one of a mullet). I might also argue for slightly wider eyes and fuller eyebrows.

So far, the Luke Cage villains I think one could do something with include Chemistro, Chesire, Coldfire (wow, a lot of 'C' bad guys), Senor Muerte/Suerte, Stiletto and Discus (yes, actually, rehabilitate them again and have them as minor allies), and Steeplejack (give the gear to someone decent, name's too cool not to use).

From the Power Man and Iron Fist days, I'd also include Copperhead, Doombringer, Montenegro, a new Power Master, and Warhawk. And Boris and Ninotchka, because those two goofs are too funny not to use.

All my best.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Of course, DC tends to focus more on "Rogues Galleries". Captain Boomerang isn't a jobber like, say, Comanche is. He appears in COUNTLESS books as a recurring guy. The Flash & Batman in particular took major focus on that, to great success. [/quote

That’s kind of my point. Turning a “jobber” into a “rogue’s gallery” character just takes a bit of focus and attention from the writers. Earth-616’s Shades is lame as heck, the MCU’s Shades is an amazingly good villain.

It wouldn’t take much to make Earth-616’s Comanche into a much better character, look at what the CW’s Arrow was able to do with Malcolm friggin’ Merlyn. Ten years ago, Merlyn was an obscure answer to a Green Arrow trivia question. Now he’s a major player and recurring nemesis.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

greycrusader wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:40 pm I think the problem is mostly with the hairline on Princess Adora/She-Ra-it should be a bit "softer" (the pattern at the temples looks like an adolescent boy's hairline) and fall more over her ears (because otherwise it can't help but remind one of a mullet). I might also argue for slightly wider eyes and fuller eyebrows.

So far, the Luke Cage villains I think one could do something with include Chemistro, Chesire, Coldfire (wow, a lot of 'C' bad guys), Senor Muerte/Suerte, Stiletto and Discus (yes, actually, rehabilitate them again and have them as minor allies), and Steeplejack (give the gear to someone decent, name's too cool not to use).

From the Power Man and Iron Fist days, I'd also include Copperhead, Doombringer, Montenegro, a new Power Master, and Warhawk. And Boris and Ninotchka, because those two goofs are too funny not to use.

All my best.
Hey,you missed "Cockroach" Hamilton....:(
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 pm
Of course, DC tends to focus more on "Rogues Galleries". Captain Boomerang isn't a jobber like, say, Comanche is. He appears in COUNTLESS books as a recurring guy. The Flash & Batman in particular took major focus on that, to great success.
That’s kind of my point. Turning a “jobber” into a “rogue’s gallery” character just takes a bit of focus and attention from the writers. Earth-616’s Shades is lame as heck, the MCU’s Shades is an amazingly good villain.

It wouldn’t take much to make Earth-616’s Comanche into a much better character, look at what the CW’s Arrow was able to do with Malcolm friggin’ Merlyn. Ten years ago, Merlyn was an obscure answer to a Green Arrow trivia question. Now he’s a major player and recurring nemesis.
Marvel's weird like that. They have tons of credible villains, but the double-whammy of the '90s and Bendis wiped out any chance of resurrecting most of the low-tier ones.

A great example of what you're talking about with Marvel is Thunderbolts. Songbird in particular. Unfortunately, Marvel didn't stick with it. Bendis turned all the jobbers into The Hood's Army and that was that.
Jabroniville

Mr. Fish

Post by Jabroniville »

"No one laughs at MR. FISH!!"

MR. FISH I (Mortimer George Norris)
Created By:
Bill Mantlo & George Tuska
First Appearance: Luke Cage, Power Man #29 (April 1975)
Role: Jobber Villain
PL 6 (74)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+2)
Stealth 1 (+3)

Advantages: 
Equipment 3 (Ray Gun- Blast 6), Fast Grab, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Amphibious Monster"
Swimming 5 (16 mph) [5]
Immunity 2 (Cold, Drowning) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Gun +6 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Mr. Fish is a small-time hood who formed a Maggia branch using his powers.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 6 (74)

-Mr. Fish is an outlandish, goofy story created to basically fill in since issue #30 was going to be late (Marvel admitted as much on the Splash Page). He's a small-time hood who fell into some radioactive material and went into the East River. Naturally, this caused him to mutate into an amphibious fish-man, and used it to establish a Maggia branch in his area. He used a Ray Gun and some goons to knock Luke Cage out, but failed Villainous Mastermind 101 and started monologuing to Cage about his master plan (humorously, he ignored his Sidekick's advice to kill Cage while he was unconscious and instead WAITED FOR HIM TO RECOVER before bragging). Mr. Fish died when Cage escaped, having been hit by a steel girder meant for Luke.

-A second Mr. Fish, the brother of the first, with the same mutation for some reason, was named Bill. He joined The Flashmob, a collection of loser Cage enemies (Chemistro, Cheshire Cat, Commanche, Coackroach & Spear), and fought the second Power Man. Iron Fist KO'd him pretty handily, as nobody's gonna take a guy named MISTER FISH seriously.

-Mr. Fish is your classic Joke Villain, being a one-shot foe for a rookie Luke Cage (a PL 8). He had a Laser Gun and some fancy Aquatic powers, but really wasn't much. A fall from a building was enough to kill the first one.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Discus & Stiletto! Shades! Power Man! Hardcore!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Trying to think of other "rescued" Marvel villains, because I swear they're better at this than DC.

Mac Gargan got a much bigger push as Venom II.

Sabretooth, of course, went from forgettable Iron Fist jobber to Main Eventer.

Mystique languished as a Carol Danvers foe- now she's an iconic film character with tons of comic appearances.

Deadpool, technically.

Magneto used to lead goddamned Mr. Peeper around before Claremont hit the X-Men.

Anyone else?
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Rogue debuted in a Avengers annual, but went downhill for awhile, becoming Dazzler's recurring foe. She got redeemed in more ways than one by turning hero.

Constrictor and Boomerang were Hulk jobbers who ended up becoming decent, fleshed-out villains with backstories.

Mr. Hyde was on the way to loser-dom before getting a boost in power and reputation.

Huh. The Thunderbolts and The Initiative really DID help out quite a few MU jobbers, didn't they?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Hawkeye was a jobber, so were Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch. Black Widow wasn’t a “jobber” in the usual sense, but she was basically a disposable “femme fatale” who vamped it up with Tony Stark... and then vanished for several years.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 pm ImageImage

Created By:
PL 9 (129)
So this guy of all people learned on his own how to karate chop so hard that he can injure someone as durable as Luke Cage. Seriously. Something Shang Chi, Iron Fist and other A-List fighters can't.

I'm going to write him off as being an unknown mutant. That or Marvel is just really stupid at times.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Tattooedman

Re: Hardcore

Post by Tattooedman »

Ares wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:49 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:34 pm ImageImage

Created By:
PL 9 (129)
So this guy of all people learned on his own how to karate chop so hard that he can injure someone as durable as Luke Cage. Seriously. Something Shang Chi, Iron Fist and other A-List fighters can't.

I'm going to write him off as being an unknown mutant. That or Marvel is just really stupid at times.
As much as I'd like to think it was more a case of the first, unfortunately I think it's more a case of the second.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Jessica Jones

Post by Jabroniville »

JESSICA JONES (aka Jessica Campbell, Jewel, The Knightress, Power Woman)
Created By:
Brian Michael Bendis & Michael Gaydos
First Appearance: Alias #1 (Nov. 2001)
Role: Regular Chick, Failed Hero, Retconned Background Character, Flying Brick
Group Affiliations: The Avengers, Pulse Magazine, Alias Private Investigations
Avengers Grade: D-Level
PL 8 (115)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+7)
Deception 6 (+9)
Expertise (Private Investigator) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Reporter) 4 (+7)
Insight 5 (+8)
Investigation 10 (+13)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Sleight of Hand 3 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Generic Flying Brick Powerset"
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
"Jean Grey's Psionic Boost" Enhanced Will 2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Mental Attacks) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Will +6 (+8 vs. Mental Attacks)

Complications:
Relationship (Luke Cage & Danielle)- Jessica is intensely devoted to her family. She's pretty much just "Luke's Wife" in every book.
Enemy (Zebediah Killgrave)- The Purple Man once mentally-dominated Jessica for several months, leaving her near-broken as a person, forced to watch as he raped numerous women, and to beg for sex from him (which he never gave, as a form of torture). He is still obsessed with her.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 12 (115)

Jessica Jones- Alias:
-Jessica Jones is an interesting little story about what happens when your creator ends up having master control over a comic book company's path. Brian Michael Bendis was a highly-touted Indie comic writer, having done work on Powers and Sam & Twitch before getting handed the reigns of the sweet Ultimate Spider-Man property, which he then segued to Daredevil and part of Marvel's new R-Rated MAX Line of books featuring an unknown character named Jessica Jones, a failed superhero-turned-private-investigator. Humorously, he WANTED to make the comic about Jessica Drew, but "realized" part-way through that she had a more unique voice, and decided to make her an original character instead. I've also heard that he WANTED to make it about either Drew or Carol Danvers, but was disallowed either character- this would probably gain more steam since he grew obsessed with both characters later on, making them part of his Avengers books.

-She was retroactively added to continuity much like The Sentry was, but in a smaller scale (she merely witnessed some events, rather than being a major part in some). Primarily, her book Alias dealt with the after-effects of her mental control at the hands of The Purple Man, who was a manipulative, menacing rapist who basically held Jessica under his dominance (making her love him, but refusing her sexual advances just to be a dick). Some stuff happened, it seemed to do okay (28 issues, which far outstrips MOST new, unproven characters' series), and she hooked up with Luke Cage, which became important when he joined the BIG new Avengers team... written by Bendis.

Jessica's In-Universe History:
-Jessica was a witness to a lot of Marvel history, acting in a Forrest Gump-like "spectator" role- she was present when her classmate Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider, for example. When her family is killed in an accident involving a vehicle full of radioactive isotopes, she is orphaned, but soon develops powers. Lashing out at a sympathetic Peter (imagining him as pitying her), she is inspired to become a hero after watching Spider-Man fight the Sandman.

-Becoming the Flying Brick heroine Jewel, she is a merely minor name, and retires quickly when Zebediah Killgrave, The Purple Man, mind-controls her into fighting The Avengers. She's rescued by Carol Danvers, but is depressed when her eight-month disappearance goes unnoticed by basically everyone. She temporarily becomes the grim vigilante The Knightress, helping Luke Cage defeat The Owl, but soon drops this as well. Her & Luke maintain an off-and-on relationship for years, while she quits super-heroics and opens up a private investigation agency. Years later, Killgrave, still obsessed with her, arrives to control her once more, but Jessica rebuffs him thanks to Anti-Control training with Jean Grey of the X-Men, and beats him to death. Finally, a tryst with Luke leaves her pregnant, and the two become a committed couple.

Post-Alias Jessica:
-Jessica becomes a bit player in the Marvel Universe after this, with Bendis being given much bigger toys to play with. She is briefly in the Daily Bugle-related series The Pulse, quitting when J. Jonah Jameson trashes Luke's Avengers team. She eventually gives birth to their daughter, Danielle, but pretty much devolves into being "The Wife At Home" as a character, worrying about her baby (especially when she's kidnapped by Skrulls). She VERY briefly returned to being a super-hero in a Jessica Jones series in 2010, joining The Avengers for a time as "Power Woman" (in honor of Luke). In Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers book, she was a minor background character, generally doing very little.

-Even as she floundered as a background character, she gained a lease on life with the Jessica Jones Netflix series, which my friend says is the best of the four, dealing with "Abusive Relationships" as a general theme. There, Jessica is played by Kristen Ritter (herself a memorable part of Breaking Bad's second season), and acts as a hard-drinking failed superhero still haunted by her control at the hands of Killgrave. This put her on Bendis's new Defenders book at Marvel for a while, but he would eventually leave for DC after MANY years controlling, re-energizing, and/or messing up various parts of the Marvel Universe. 2016 saw her in a new book as well, and the Defenders book is still ongoing, but "Failed Super-Hero" is always something that fits TV and Indie Comics-style MAX stuff better than, well, a SUPERHERO COMIC BOOK LINE. I mean, it's not like her low-end Flying Brick powers are anything any other hero couldn't do.

Jessica's Power:
-Without a lot of modern showings, Jessica is a mere PL 7.5 individual, lacking the great power or experience of other great heroes. Even with her Avengers run, she didn't have a lot of feats outside fo One-Punching Jessica Drew. As it stands, here she's just the world's worst Flying Brick, being no stronger or tougher than Spider-Man, of whom she's otherwise unworthy of holding the boots.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.