Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Spear

Post by Jabroniville »

SPEAR (Jasper Daniels)
Created By:
Don McGregor & Frank Robbins
First Appearance: Power Man #28 (Dec. 1975)
Role: Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: Spear & Mangler, The Flashmob
PL 7 (92)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+6)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages: 
Equipment 2 (Armored Costume: +3 Toughness- Impervious 5), Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Improved Critical (Spears), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Spear-Gun" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [14]
"Gas" Affliction 7 (Fort; Dazed/Exhausted/Asleep) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 15ft. Cloud) (Diminished Range -1) (20) -- (22 points)
AE: "Spear" Blast 5 (Diminished Range -1) (9)
AE: "Explosive Shafts" Blast 7 (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2) (Diminished Range -1) (16.5)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Spear Shaft +9 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Explosive Shafts +7 Area (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Gas Shafts +7 Area (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+6 Armored Costume), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Killing Dr. Burstein)- Spear's brother died in agony after Burstein's experiment on him failed (he was attempting to replicate the Power Man Experiment on the dying Daniels brother).
Relationship (Mangler)- Spear risks his freedom to save his brother from police custody.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 6 (92)

-Spear is a bad guy that Cage interacted with while he was hunting down the doctor responsible for all of those "Power Man" experiments (his brother had died during one of the early ones). He eventually succeeds, killing Dr. Burnstein (who'd been a supporting character in Luke's book for a while), beforeescaping. He is finally captured while trying to spring his brother Mangler from police custody, and doesn't appear for decades (he was so minor that he never even received a first name!). He next shows up as part of a mass collection of Cage's jobbers (The Flashmob), but is handily defeated on various occasions, last showing up in prison, where he teams up with an incarcerated Iron Fist.

-Like most of Cage's early enemies, he didn't recur much, and so is only a PL 7 Jobber Villain- a challenge for Rookie Cage, but nothing compared to the modern, PL 10 version.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Mangler

Post by Jabroniville »

MANGLER (Shadrick Daniels)
Created By:
First Appearance: Power Man #34 (June 1976)
Group Affiliations: Spear & Mangler, The Flashmob
PL 6 (56)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 2 (+2)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+2)
Expertise (Professional Wrestler) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 2 (+2)

Advantages: 
None

Powers:
"Power Man Treatment" Impervious Toughness 5 [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +1

Complications:
None

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 5 (56)

-Mangler is Spear's dumb, incompetent younger brother, who got the Power Man Treatment and went after Cage. He was handily defeated twice, and doesn't show up in modern times, despite Spear doing so.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Glowworm

Post by Jabroniville »

GLOWWORM (William Blake, aka Race Killer, White Devil)
Created By:
Jim Owsley & Mark Bright
First Appearance: Power Man & Iron Fist #123 (May 1986)
Role: Jobber Villain, Super-Racist, Uncle Ruckus As Super-Villain

-One of a thousand guys who was victimized by the government's numerous attempts to recreate the Super-Soldier Serum, Glowworm developed powers while in the Marine Corps. Becoming a glowing white monster, he began shouting racial slurs and attacking black people in Power Man's neighborhood, setting off a race riot. However, things ended when Cage defeated the creature, revealing him to be a black man himself! It turned out that William Blake had been raised in the Deep South, with an ingrained belief of the superiority of whites- this self-hatred fueled his rampage. Well that makes perfect sense. The character has never reappeared, despite his creator (Christopher Priest) working on many other books that could have pieced him in somewhere.

-Glowworm was super-strong and super-durable, but that vague "low-level powerhouse" thing where he has limits. Luke Cage managed to knock him out, while .44 magnum shots could bring him down when .40 shots could not.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Shades! Power Man! Hardcore! Jessica Jones!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Interesting/weird observation:

"Part of the Hobgoblin's Villain-Franchise" is becoming the new "Part of Kraven's Superhuman Zoo" and "Trapped in The Stranger's Lab" in terms of "note I have to add to dozens of bios".

See, a few different stories over the years have gathered together various characters under a single "theme". Oftentimes, this is one of the few times certain obscure characters have appeared, especially after their debut. And so it comes up a lot while doing bios for random characters, as I am wont to do.

Case in Point:
* One of Kraven's sons (Alyosha, I guess) forms a "Zoo" of animal-themed superhumans. This results in appearances for all SORTS of guys, as the writers both pulled out mainstream ones and obscure characters. This included Frog-Man, Grizzly, Mandrill, Man-Bull, Mongoose, Kangaroo, Gargoyle (??), and more.

* In Mark Gruenwald's Quasar run, the hero ends up in the lab of the mysterious Stranger. Here, he discovers countless aliens (and others) that had fallen into obscurity (of course Gru would remember them). They include Alpha the Ultimate Mutant, Gorr the Golden Gorilla, some of the Starblasters, Fusion, Diamondhead and more.

* The Superia Stratagem featured a woman gathering together every female metahuman she could find- this largely used a lot of Gru's creations, but also included rare appearances by Quicksand, Impala, The Grapplers, and others.

* The Scourge of the Underworld, again by Gru, featured various Jobber Villains getting mowed down. More than twenty bios feature a death at Scourge's hands. And then, many years later, The Punisher resurrected most of them, requiring ADDITIONAL notes, as many of them even survived that story arc and went on to have other adventures.

* In recent years, the Hobgoblin has formed a "Franchise", shopping out super-villain identities and gear to crooks, who give him a part of the proceeds. It was a neat way to keep some names "in the mix", and make Hobby a bigger part of the superhero scene, but has largely resulted in a LOT of builds now requiring a "there was another one as part of the Franchisees" note on them. Notably, many of the villains whose names were used weren't even dead, complicating matters.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Whatever happened to the “Taskmaster School for Gimmicky Jobbers,” is that still a thing? Because it was a great idea that could explain away how all these random schmendricks go from mild-mannered mild management engineer or blue-collar construction worker auto mechanic to Trained Assassin with Weaponized Creme Brûlée or Expert Cat-Burglar with Weaponized High Heels.

Blood Spider, Jagged Bow, and Death-Shield were all Taskmaster students, but I can’t think of any others. (And why does no one use any of those three anymore? A jobber Spidey? C’mon!)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Chemistro (High-Tech)

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

CHEMISTRO I (Curtis Carr, aka High-Tech)
Created By:
Steve Englehart & George Tuska
First Appearance: Luke Cage, Hero For Hire #12 (Aug. 1973)
Role: Jobber Villain, Proof That Marvel Has Too Many Top-Tier Geniuses
PL 9 (145)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 9 (+14)
Perception 4 (+5)
Technology 8 (+13)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Alchemy Gun" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [73]
Transform 9 (Anything to Anything Else) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous) (63) -- (64)
  • AE: Affliction 10 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Other Material) (Extras: Continuous +3, Ranged) (50)
"Objects Disintegrate" Blast 8 Linked to Weaken Toughness 8 (Extras: Affects Objects, Ranged, Progressive +2) (Feats: Incurable, Triggered by Transform After A Period of Time or Heat) (57)-- Linked to Transform
-- (121 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Alchemy Gun +7 (+10 Affliction, +8 Ranged Damage & Weaken, DC 20, 18 & 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Revenge)- Carr was fired from his job at a car manufacturer when he tried to keep his Alchemy Gun for himself, since it was invented on "company time".
Power Loss (Alchemy Gun)- Powders can be applied to objects that render them immune to Transmutation. Chemistro's own gun, for example, has been made immune.
Disabled (Missing Legs)- Carr's own gun transmutated his leg, which then crumbled to dust- years later, his other leg was lost against his brother. He wears prostheses.
Enemy (Curtis Carr)- Calvin's own brother betrayed him and attacked him in order to become the third Chemistro.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 72 / Defenses: 15 (145)

Creates Alchemy Gun; Is Minor Scientist:
-Comics are so funny sometimes. Where else can a guy who invents an ALCHEMY GUN just be considered a minor scientist, who isn't really notable in the grand scheme of things? Seriously, a gun that can CHANGE ANYTHING INTO ANYTHING ELSE, and he's just some schnook. I guess that's what happens when you're a Luke Cage villain- you easily get glossed-over and forgotten. Chemistro has that classic "Screwed By His Company" origin, as he creates his Alchemy Gun on "company time", and thus his bosses declare that his work belongs to them (I've recently gone into the lawsuits that can result from this kind of thing- the infamous Mattel/Bratz one in particular). Curtis Carr, upon hearing this, becomes a super-villain and attempts to extort his bosses.

-Chemistro, fighting Luke Cage in his debut, accidentally shoots at his own foot, transforming it to steel. Then we learn that the unstable nature of the transmutation disintegrates transformed matter- his foot crumbles to dust, leaving him crippled.

The Other Chemistros:
-Poor Carr has actually been replaced as Chemistro TWICE, once by a fellow inmate (who beat him to learn the secret), and once by his own brother, and he has since turned to the side of the angels (he was a classic put-upon scientist screwed over by his employer- not really that bad a guy). He aides Luke Cage in defeating the second Chemistro, and then helps Cage & Iron Fist defeat the third. A minor background guy, he subsequently works for Stark Enterprises, developing prostheses- he manages to lose his other foot during Acts of Vengeance when Iron Man & Jim Rhodes have to fight The Wrecker & Chemistro III. The character hasn't appeared in decades.

-I find the goofy costume, the name and the super-devastating weapon fascinating, despite him never turning out to be much (he worked for Stark Enterprises and helped out against both other evil Chemistros by designing stuff to render things immune to the Transmutation effect). This guy's also a CLASSIC 1970s villain, as the great age of the '60s gave way to lots of lower-tier Marvel books, from which we gained a HUGE chunk of the Jobber Nobodies who later came to populate the Marvel Universe. The major problem with Chemistro is that he got Crimson Dynamo Syndrome within ten years of his debut, having been given two others sharing the name- it diluted the concept and helped make him rather forgettable. I mean... an ALCHEMY GUN. This dude should have been a HUGE name! And honestly, instead of creating countless new Young Black Scientists... why not just re-use this guy? He's proven himself intelligent, resourceful, sympathetic, he's even DISABLED, and he ALREADY exists. He's the perfect guy to trot out for modern Marvel Comics!

Chemistro's Power:
-It's a good thing that Alchemy Gun is Easy to Lose, otherwise it'd cost a disgusting amount of points. It's notable because though it can Transform stuff to other stuff in Continuous manner, its properties will wear off on their own, resulting in the object crumbling to dust. This means that he can't turn lead to gold for easy money, and also can't REVERSE his changes- this is basically Transform/Affliction (since those are different Powers in 3e) Linked to Triggered Disintegration (Progressive since you can't really just reverse it). Like most Jobber Villains, he's really not that great a fighter on his own (PL 5), and can't take a beating either- he was beaten by his cellmate into giving up the secrets of his Alchemy Gun.

-Common tricks with the gun include turning stairs to Paper (resulting in a big drop when the paper's low toughness is shredded by human footsteps), walls to Molasses (basically an Area Snare), or just shooting people (Carr disintegrated his own FOOT when he accidentally fired his gun too low).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab's Builds! (Power Man! Hardcore! Jessica Jones! Chemistro!)

Post by Batgirl III »

His original costume is so much better than Generic 2000s Power Suit. Yes, it’s over the top and kinda goofy, but at least you can recognize that he’s supposed to be a main character and not just one of the ten-thousand background mooks of A.I.M., AEGIS, S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA, G.I.JOE, KOBRA, COBRA, or whatever other goofy A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. you can think of.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:00 am His original costume is so much better than Generic 2000s Power Suit. Yes, it’s over the top and kinda goofy, but at least you can recognize that he’s supposed to be a main character and not just one of the ten-thousand background mooks of A.I.M., AEGIS, S.H.I.E.L.D., HYDRA, G.I.JOE, KOBRA, COBRA, or whatever other goofy A.C.R.O.N.Y.M. you can think of.
Yeah, that "High-Tech" suit is just awful. He could be any AIM Goon in that damn thing. Unfortunately, the Chemistro look is taken... oddly, by guys who drop the mask, which is one of the more "Super-Villainous" aspects of the look.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:18 am Interesting/weird observation:

"Part of the Hobgoblin's Villain-Franchise" is becoming the new "Part of Kraven's Superhuman Zoo" and "Trapped in The Stranger's Lab" in terms of "note I have to add to dozens of bios".

See, a few different stories over the years have gathered together various characters under a single "theme". Oftentimes, this is one of the few times certain obscure characters have appeared, especially after their debut. And so it comes up a lot while doing bios for random characters, as I am wont to do.

Case in Point:
* One of Kraven's sons (Alyosha, I guess) forms a "Zoo" of animal-themed superhumans. This results in appearances for all SORTS of guys, as the writers both pulled out mainstream ones and obscure characters. This included Frog-Man, Grizzly, Mandrill, Man-Bull, Mongoose, Kangaroo, Gargoyle (??), and more.

* In Mark Gruenwald's Quasar run, the hero ends up in the lab of the mysterious Stranger. Here, he discovers countless aliens (and others) that had fallen into obscurity (of course Gru would remember them). They include Alpha the Ultimate Mutant, Gorr the Golden Gorilla, some of the Starblasters, Fusion, Diamondhead and more.

* The Superia Stratagem featured a woman gathering together every female metahuman she could find- this largely used a lot of Gru's creations, but also included rare appearances by Quicksand, Impala, The Grapplers, and others.

* The Scourge of the Underworld, again by Gru, featured various Jobber Villains getting mowed down. More than twenty bios feature a death at Scourge's hands. And then, many years later, The Punisher resurrected most of them, requiring ADDITIONAL notes, as many of them even survived that story arc and went on to have other adventures.

* In recent years, the Hobgoblin has formed a "Franchise", shopping out super-villain identities and gear to crooks, who give him a part of the proceeds. It was a neat way to keep some names "in the mix", and make Hobby a bigger part of the superhero scene, but has largely resulted in a LOT of builds now requiring a "there was another one as part of the Franchisees" note on them. Notably, many of the villains whose names were used weren't even dead, complicating matters.
I love Gorr, the Golden Gorilla!

Alpha the Ultimate (mutant) was another character of interest, but I don't believe he appeared in any other story than his debut 2-parter. I always wanted to see more of him. In addition, I wanted to see Alpha with the Futurist-- while having some differences, they appeared to be very similar in some aspects as well.
Jabroniville

Chemistro (Morton)

Post by Jabroniville »

CHEMISTRO II (Archibald Morton)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Ron Wilson
First Appearance: Power Man #37 (Nov. 1976)
PL 9 (187)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 1 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Alchemy Hand"
Transform 9 (Anything to Anything Else) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous) (63) -- [64]
  • AE: Affliction 10 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled/Transformed to Other Material) (Extras: Continuous +3, Ranged) (50)
"Objects Disintegrate" Blast 8 Linked to Weaken Toughness 8 (Extras: Affects Objects, Ranged, Progressive +2) (Feats: Incurable, Triggered by Transform After A Period of Time or Heat) [57]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Alchemy Hand +7 (+10 Affliction, +8 Ranged Damage & Weaken, DC 20, 18 & 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Morton is just a simple crook, out for money. When he discovered his cellmate in prison had developed a powerful Alchemy Gun, he sought to copy it and use it to steal.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 120 / Defenses: 9 (187)

-The second Chemistro is just a one-shot villain, using the "Blackie Drago School of Replacing Older Villains"- much like the second Vulture, he got some secrets & powers from sharing a cell with his predecessor, and later got his butt kicked by the same guy. He literally only appeared in a single arc- beating up Carr to discover the secret of the Alchemy Gun, the new device exploded in his hand, granting him the ability to use the Alchemy Power just through his hands. He fought Luke Cage and had him beat several times, but Curtis Carr returned, and built a Nullifier to remove the transmutations, resulting in Morton's defeat. He never appeared again, having shown up in a total of three issues for his entire run.

-Archibald here is ludicrously expensive for a mere Jobber, but the Alchemy Gun is a REALLY powerful effect, and losing the Device Flaw makes it a LOT more useful. You can't just disarm him. However, removing the power of his Transmutations can render him pretty useless. I figure he's still pretty good at Technology, since he built his own Alchemy Gun with instructions from the first Chemistro- after all, I'm not sure I could even build a TOASTER, even WITH all the instructions!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Chemistro is a perfect example of writers not really thinking through the implications of some technology. Like I've said before, I love superhero comics, I love the fun, kitchen sink nature of them, I love how they can basically be any genre at any time.

But I'm also someone who loves world building and internal consistency. And as with science fiction and fantasy, some writers really don't think about the implications of some decisions.

I mean, we've got this guy who built a gun-sized matter transmuter, and he used it to rob banks. To the writer's credit, he at least included the fact that anything altered by the gun will crumble to dust afterwards due to molecular instability. That makes the gun really more of a fancy disintegration ray rather than a world changing bit of technology. But the idea that just some random joe could come up with it is bizarre. For this kind of character, transmuting matter should involve some rare, one of a kind element (Philosopher's Stone, for example), or instead of transmuting matter, go with something similar to Honey Lemon's purse from Big Hero 6. Hell, the "Chemistro" name works a lot better with the powerset of "variable chemical compound generator" than a transmutation gun.

It's like that Spider-Man guy whose scientist uncle whipped him up a suit of street-level power armor. It can't be that easy.

Outfit wise, yeah, that power armor at the end looks too generic. I like the version they went with for Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Much more iconic.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Chemistro (Calvin)

Post by Jabroniville »

CHEMISTRO III (Calvin Carr)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Ron Wilson
First Appearance: Power Man and Iron Fist #93 (June 1983)
PL 9 (187)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 1 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Alchemy Wrist-Blasters" (Flaws: Removable) [97]
Transform 9 (Anything to Anything Else) (Extras: Ranged, Continuous) (63) -- (64)
"Objects Disintegrate" Blast 8 Linked to Weaken Toughness 8 (Extras: Affects Objects, Ranged, Progressive +2) (Feats: Incurable, Triggered by Transform After A Period of Time or Heat) (57)-- Linked to Transform
-- (121 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Alchemy Hand +7 (+10 Affliction, +8 Ranged Damage & Weaken, DC 20, 18 & 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Calvin is just a simple crook, out for money.
Enemy (Curtis Carr)- The original Chemistro doesn't get along with his younger brother.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 97 / Defenses: 9 (187)

-What is it with Rookie Comic Book Writers inventing Chemistros, then going on to greater fame with classic runs on team books? The third (and longest-lasting) Chemistro is the younger brother of the first, and stole the Alchemy Gun for his own ends. During Acts of Vengeance, he got his Gun turned into Wrist-Blasters by The Wizard (who for some reason never just copied the Gun for his OWN uses, since it's way better than any of The Wizard's weapons- is there some sort of Copywrite Infringement Gentleman's Agreement among super-villains?) and was sent against Iron Man. He is beaten thanks to the help of his older brother.

-Chemistro III never really mattered much (his appearances are basically "1983" and "early '90s" before he disappears), and now he's been most-often seen in large Villain Gangs in The Hood's employ in recent years, as he was never a major villain on any level, but was killed while trying to fight Iron Man recently.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Spear

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:33 am Image

SPEAR (Jasper Daniels)
Created By:
Holy shit, I love this guy. With the positive response that "Kite-Man! Hell yeah!" got, why isn't this man in a book?!
Jabroniville

Phantom of 42nd Street

Post by Jabroniville »

THE PHANTOM OF 42nd STREET (ARMAND LORING & JACQUES)
---
JACQUES
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Billy Graham
First Appearance: Luke Cage, Hero For Hire #4 (Sept. 1972)
Role: One-Shot Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 6 (61)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+6)
Deception 2 (+2)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Throwing People) 4 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages: 
Fast Grab, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Disabled (French)- Jacques speaks no English. He has to talk to Armand for translation.
Enemy (Doctors)- Jacques suffered terribly under an incompetent doctor, and no longer trusts any of them.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (61)

---

ARMAND LORING
Created By:
Steve Englehart & Billy Graham
First Appearance: Luke Cage, Hero For Hire #4 (Sept. 1972)
PL 6 (79)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 6 (+6)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages: 
Equipment 1 (Phantom Cloak- +4 Intimidation), Improved Defense, Improved Trip, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Revenge Against Jasper Brunt)- Armand is desperate to kill the man who murdered his father.
Prejudice (Dwarf)- Armand feels great shame at his height, and cannot properly Intimidate most people.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (79)

-The Phantom of 42nd Street is named for a pretty obscure (I've never heard of it) old film, and is actually a pair of guys- a tall strongman and a dwarf. They disguised themselves as a gigantic "ghost", using a glowing cloak and some tricky fighting tactics (Jacques would toss Armand, resulting in someone being struck by "The Phantom" while hitting only air inside a now-empty lower cloak). Armand is the son of one of the old innovators behind Times Square, and went off and learned thieving techniques, soon meeting a Haitian strongman named Jacques. Eager to get revenge on the man who murdered his father, Jasper Brunt, Armand starts steering people away from 42nd Street by intimidating potential theater patrons. Luke Cage, himself living in Times Square, soon discovered the truth about the two of them, and defeated Jacques. Confronting Armand, Cage revealed that if he let Brunt go, he would be rich (he was his father's heir)- Armand instead chose revenge, defenestrating himself alongside his foe, killing both men. The Phantom was never seen again.

-The Phantom is an interesting study in statting, as it's basically two people in one. Jacques is the one doing most of the fighting to people, with Armand's Deception providing a good, solid Feint for if Jacques throws him at the unuspecting opponent. Armand isn't much good in a fight (though is hard to hit), while Jacques is a powerhouse, but well below someone like even a rookie Luke Cage.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Wildfire

Post by Jabroniville »

WILDFIRE (Harold Paprika)
Created By:
First Appearance: Power Man #32 (June 1976)
PL 7 (53)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 3 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+3)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 3 (+5)

Advantages: 
Equipment 3 (Flamethrower), Ranged Attack 3

Equipment:
"Flamethrower" Blast 7 (Feats: Split) (15) -- (16)
  • AE: "Flame Stream" Damage 7 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (14)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Flamethrower +6 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Flame Stream +7 Area (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +3, Will +1

Complications:
Hatred (Non-Whites)- When a black family moved into his all-white neighborhood, Harold naturally threw on a costume and tried to burn their house down.
Relationship (Wife)- The two aren't close- her newfound feminism is irksome to him.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (53)

-Wildfire is your trademark "Filler Issue" villain- a guy who threw on a costume to burn down the houses of some neighbors of his in Jamaica, Queens, since he's a bigot and all. He escaped Cage once, but was soon captured when he was told that his last attempt killed one of the black family's children- he was taken aback, and Cage grabbed him. Mark Gruenwald is the only other person to have used him, and only then in the background of one scene on A.I.M. Island. A really, REALLY under-pointed guy, as befitting a one-shot nobody, he nonetheless hits PL 7 since a Flamethrower is actually a pretty dangerous weapon. He still wouldn't last long against a real superhero.