Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Lei Kung

Post by Jabroniville »

"Understand this, LITTLE GIRL, for what follows is a lesson I wish to teach but... ONCE!

NOTHING will be given to you in this life! Every comfort and privilege you may know... you will have to EARN. Or fight for. Or take. And that is NOT fair.

That, my pupil, is LIFE, and it does not care if you thrive or STARVE."
-Lei Kung The Thunderer, during his training of Wu Ao-Shi

LEI KUNG THE THUNDERER
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gil Kane
First Appearance: Marvel Premiere #15 (May 1974)
Role: Martial Artist, Stoic Mentor Figure
Group Affiliations: K'un-Lun
PL 11 (188)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 7
FIGHTING 16 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+15)
Athletics 10 (+14)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+18)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 12 (+15)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 5 (+8)
Perception 6 (+10)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 3 (+10)
Treatment 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Strike, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Spears & Stuff), Evasion 2, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Grab Finesse, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Spear Weapons) 2, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Inspire, Languages 2 (Many Asian), Last Stand, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Prone Fighting, Startle, Ranged Attack 3, Takedown 2, Trance, Ultimate Martial Arts Skill, Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Supreme Physical Specimen"
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]

"Ate From The Tree of Immortality" Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +18 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Spear +16 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +17 (DC 27), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +11

Complications:
Responsibility (K'un-Lun)- Lei Kung is probably the single-most person in K'un-Lun who actually cares for the city itself. He has been planning a revolution against the corrupt Yu-Ti, Nu-An, for generations. Eventually, he becomes the spiritual leader of K'un-Lun itself.
Relationship (Danny Rand, Other Iron Fists)- Lei Kung is generally not an emotive person, but he does feel the loss of his various students over time.
Relationship (Davos)- Lei Kung's son rejected K'un-Lun and was exiled, and taunts his father still. Only now have they become closer.

Total: Abilities: 92 / Skills: 60--30 / Advantages: 45 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 18 (188)

-Lei Kung The Thunderer is the fabled trainer of all the Immortal Iron Fists, and has done this for centuries. He is a fierce teacher, but stoic and non-emotive most of the time, and full of inscrutable wisdom. He's kind of a regal, quiet bad-ass capable of tremendous feats of Martial Arts (apparently he once brawled with PRINCE NAMOR) and great lessons, without all the tooth-gnashing and boasting that most martial artists have. Given that he lives in K'un-Lun, he doesn't really get up to much in the Marvel Universe as a whole- he trains Danny in the origin story and then kind of slips out of the narrative. Key points are that his son Davos became a traitor to the city, and that he opposed the rule of Yu-Ti when it became clear he was sacrificing people to Master Khan.

-In The Immortal Iron Fist, he becomes the new "Yu-Ti" when Nu-An is cast out of the city, but again disappears from the narrative for the most part. Later, he appears teaching Hope Summers the martial arts, hoping to prepare her for the Phoenix Force.

-At PL 11, he's a fair bit better than even Danny or Davos, and can hold his own with any other hand-to-hand fighter in Marvel history (though honestly, there's very few active feats out there for the guy- he trained some of the best fighters ever, but hasn't beaten many people that I could name). However, I don't quite get how he can be THAT elite at martial arts if he never gets out of K'un-Lun to see what every other fighter is doing (something real martial artists kinda have to do to "keep up"), but I guess having a few thousand years to focus your inner chi does you some good :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BriarThrone

Re: Jab's Builds! (Misty & Colleen! Cockroach! Boris & Ninotchka! Iron Fist!)

Post by BriarThrone »

There's also not been a huge revolution in human biomechanics in the last few thousand years, either. Lei Kung been an elite martial artist for centuries. I bet he could take one look at someone's stance and have a pretty good idea how they fight. Force can only be exerted and transferred so many ways, and any given stance is optimized for only a few of them. As an example, Tae Kwon Do's stance is obviously one designed to maintain a distance, using quick kicks with the front leg and strong kicks with the back leg, with hands being mostly defensive, as the stance is poor for torso rotation or a forward rush. The more experience you have, the more this becomes obvious. He doesn't have to have practice against Muay Thai or Krav Maga to know what those martial artists are going to do. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure most mortal martial artists aren't going to know how to handle a master of countless styles who has perfected techniques they've barely even heard of.
Jabroniville

The Ninja

Post by Jabroniville »

THE NINJA (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Doug Moench, Larry Hama & Dick Giordano
First Appearance: Marvel Premier #17 (Sept. 1974)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (145)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills: 
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+12)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Ninja) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Samurai) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 5 (+12)

Advantages: 
Equipment 2 (Throwing Stars, Sword +2), Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Initiative, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 5, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
Immunity 1 (Aging) [1]
Mind Control 6 (24) -- [25]
AE: Teleport 5 (10)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Throwing Stars +10 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Mind Control -- (+6 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Enemy (K'un-Lun)- Imprisoned in a Book for centuries, The Ninja despises K'un-Lun, and wishes it destroyed.
Power Loss (Magic)- Cold Iron can neutralize The Ninja's magic.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 10 (145)

-Yes, this guy is such an old character that he is just called THE NINJA- there weren't any other ones! And hell, look at Larry Hama being part of his origin story! The man who would add so much to what '80s children thought of as "Ninja" actually DREW this character for the first time! What a crazy little historical curiosity.

-The Ninja was once the mightiest Samurai in Japan, but he grew so evil with his wanton murdering of rivals that he was cast out of the order, and forced to live on his own. He encountered Master Khan, the God-Wizard of K'un-L'un, who convinced him to give up the way of the Samurai for those of the ninja, making him an elite, magically-powered assassin. However, he would lose a battle to Lei-Kung the Thunderer and be sealed in the Book of Magics for generations. He would only gain access to the physical world by possessing a scholar who found the Book.

-The Ninja trails Iron Fist in his first missions on the outside world, saving his life from an embittered Howard Meachum- even slaying the man who killed Danny's parents! Figuring he needs Iron Fist and the Book intact, he is instead enraged when the destruction of the Book he's been guarding for years actually FREES him, and decides to kill Fist himself. The two battled for many pages, both channeling Chi into their weapons, but in the resulting explosion, only Danny Rand walked away. The Ninja had disappeared. Six years later, Mary Jo Duffy would bring the character back, but only for a one-off, as Master Khan summons him to fight the Fist, but quickly draws him back to a pocket dimension when he loses.

-A supposedly lethal fighter, The Ninja loses twice to a fairly new Iron Fist, so I'm calling him PL 8. He also has some Magical might.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

BriarThrone wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:30 pm There's also not been a huge revolution in human biomechanics in the last few thousand years, either. Lei Kung been an elite martial artist for centuries. I bet he could take one look at someone's stance and have a pretty good idea how they fight. Force can only be exerted and transferred so many ways, and any given stance is optimized for only a few of them. As an example, Tae Kwon Do's stance is obviously one designed to maintain a distance, using quick kicks with the front leg and strong kicks with the back leg, with hands being mostly defensive, as the stance is poor for torso rotation or a forward rush. The more experience you have, the more this becomes obvious. He doesn't have to have practice against Muay Thai or Krav Maga to know what those martial artists are going to do. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure most mortal martial artists aren't going to know how to handle a master of countless styles who has perfected techniques they've barely even heard of.
The key is that a large part of martial arts is training reactions. You literally don't have enough time to think before reacting, and unless you're actually training against different styles, you're going to be reacting more slowly because you don't have responses programmed in. It's part of why the "one true technique" keeps shifting in UFC (and, frankly, why it's often the thing that everyone said was useless last year, so no one thought to train against it) and also part of the reason you'll see so many "missed opportunities" where someone is wide open and their opponent doesn't capitalize on it because they don't have the right reflex for that split second, or even several seconds, and not acting is often safer than acting badly.
Jack of Spades

Re: The Scorpion

Post by Jack of Spades »

Blind_Pugh wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:46 pm This version below though, not Venom, not stupid pincer hands. Classic Scorpion. One of my most memorable characters to those that have met me was called Mac Gargan in homage.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:21 am Image

THE SCORPION I (MacDonald "Mac" Gargan):
He SO needs a good Thunderbolts run! He can never go hero after the Venom stuff, but it would be fantastic to see him work his way back to respectability on the Villain totem pole.

See him score some victories over guys thought to be on his level that really shouldn't be. Let him reclaim his own mind, show him working to better then using his PI skills. He'd be so good!
This, absolutely this, for the Scorpion and several others of his ilk who should be respected for surviving this long as a super-villain. In my Marvel campaign, they do get some respect among their fellow villains because they're alive, no more insane than when they started, and haven't turned into grim & gritty parodies of themselves (or got over it).
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:42 am The key is that a large part of martial arts is training reactions. You literally don't have enough time to think before reacting, and unless you're actually training against different styles, you're going to be reacting more slowly because you don't have responses programmed in. It's part of why the "one true technique" keeps shifting in UFC (and, frankly, why it's often the thing that everyone said was useless last year, so no one thought to train against it) and also part of the reason you'll see so many "missed opportunities" where someone is wide open and their opponent doesn't capitalize on it because they don't have the right reflex for that split second, or even several seconds, and not acting is often safer than acting badly.
Lei Kung has never seen Muay Thai. Let's say he comes up against Sagat from Street Fighter. He sees the stance and thinks - not in so many words, but in a mental shorthand - "hm, looks like this style has a few long strike options, but is going to focus on the short range, knees and elbows and grappling most likely. Interesting that the stance isn't great for forward motion - is he going to use low kicks to slow me down? Makes for a long fight - is this a sport style?" And he's not concerned at all about never seeing this particular style in action before, because he's trained against low kick attrition strategies, knees, elbows, and grappling for centuries. For most martial artists, it's a far more realistic approach to study a specific style and the way they move for each technique, but for an immortal with literal centuries of experience? There is nothing new under the sun. Or, at least, that's the justification for a secluded martial arts hermit being so awesome. The "training reactions" thing is accurate, but he's had time to train reactions against techniques, rather than specific styles.

Besides, you're using UFC as the foundation of your argument. A highly structured contest that optimizes marketability and has to deal with broadcast regulations and insurance restrictions. The fighters are gaming the rules as much as they are just trying to use the most effective fighting techniques.
greycrusader

Re: Jab's Builds! (Boris & Ninotchka! Iron Fist! Lei Kung! The Ninja!)

Post by greycrusader »

Huh. I don't really see Lei Kung as that formidable, since he's never really beaten anyone major in the MU to my knowledge. I just don't see him as, say, Spider-Man's equal in combat, or even Wolverine, because those guys just go up against all sorts of opponents all the time, many clearly more physically powerful than themselves.

Iron Fist's origin and much of his background is a straight-up rip of the Centaur Comics' Amazing Man (long public domain); this even got called-out when the mysterious A-Man appeared as a rival Immortal Weapon late in the series. Charlton's hero The Human Thunderbolt is another, even more blatant ersatz of Amazing Man, except with the Golden Age Daredevil's costume

And a Samurai who became a Ninja? Only in comics.

All my best.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

A few times, Lei Kung has demonstrated what looked like minor superhuman strength and durability. He casually tossed boulders and debris to Luke, who likewise casually caught and tossed them aside, and both of them were impressed with the other's strength. He was also able to hold his own against Namor in a fight, has beaten Davos one-on-one, etc. He really doesn't do much fighting on his own, because he's the heroes immortal mentor rather than a hero himself, but he's always treated as a pretty big deal.

Regarding styles, it's important to remember that K'un L'un was not completely closed off from the outside world. When Lei Kung is training Wendell and Davos, he mentions several non-Chinese martial arts, showing that the immortal city is not ignorant of such things. It's entirely possible that every century or so they send people out into the world to see how the martial arts have evolved, train against them, then return and keep what they like while developing tactics to counter the new stuff. It's perhaps why Davos claimed back in his fight with Iron Fist and Spider-Man that he could easily catch bullets, with K'un L'un having become aware of the firearms and developed techniques to counter them. But Misty's ray gun was something new and unexpected, so he withdrew from the fight.

Yu-Ti is kind of interesting in that he initially appears as a benevolent boss, but from that high point his entire history is basically one of slow decline from reasonable leader, to mostly reasonable leader who worried Danny would take his throne, to semi-reasonable leader who did questionable things to preserve his society, to an utterly corrupt villain ultimately responsible for the worst aspects of K'un L'un society.

K'un L'un is just kind of weird in that it's based on a lot of Chinese mythology, but whereas the Asgardians, Egyptians,Olympian and similar gods are all, well, gods, the Chinese Celestial Bureaucracy (basically what it was called) is treated as a bunch of very long lived humans. I'm generally against full on retcons, but I think at this point Marvel could actually use a Crisis-type event to clean away a lot of the bagged of recent years and give a few things a new lease on life. With K'un L'un, I'd keep the Seven Cities of Heaven, but make it clear that while they're all populated by humans, there are actual Chinese gods who live on an Asgard like plane above them. The Seven Cities are basically in a dimensional space halfway between the realms of Earth and the realms of the gods. I'd borrow from the Netflix series where the Seven Cities are populated almost entirely by martial artists who wished to master the art of chi in relative seclusion. The realms of the Seven Cities slow down aging to a degree, but the immortality one can achieve comes solely from ones mastery of chi. Each city has some kind of Celestial Beast that acts as a guardian spirit that bestows its powers to a champion, who then represents the city in all things, and constantly renews itself. I'd get rid of the whole plant monster thing and all that other silliness. I'd work on fleshing out the other Celestial Cities, and basically try to make K'un L'un and those cities feel as fleshed out and interesting as the better versions of Wakanda and Paradise Island.

As for Danny's personality, writers seem to flip-flop on how jokey he is. In the Steel Serpent/Spider-Man/Marvel Team-Up, he's generally his normal self, but more serious because he's about to get into a life or death struggle with someone he believes is Lei Kung. He even makes some joke about "using his head" when he headbutts Davos. For most of Power Man and Iron Fist run, he alternates between serious, serene and jokey, such as when he fights a knife wielding cowboy and says, "You can call me the K'un L'un Kid", before defeating the cowboy and wearing his hat. But then during the 90s he became ULTRA serious, at least until the new Heroes for Hire book, where he was more like his old self.

In essence, I see Danny as Peter Parker, but with all of that science nerd transferred over to martial arts expert, which also makes Danny more serene, focused and relaxed at times where Peter tends to get antsy. Though not anywhere near as laid back as he was portrayed in Ultimate Spider-Man, the Animated series, where he came off as basically a hippy surfer dude.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Master Khan

Post by Jabroniville »

MASTER KHAN
Created By:
Stan Lee & Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Strange Tales #77 (Oct. 1960)
Role: Transplanted Villain

-huh, this is weird. Turns out this "Master Khan" guy actually PRE-DATES Marvel's Silver Age success! He's a one-off Evil Wizard from a Strange Tales issue who was suddenly revived fifteen years later as an Iron Fist villain by Claremont & Byrne for whatever reason. He suddenly popped up in Power Man and Iron Fist challenging the heroes repeatedly, until Mary Joe Duffy revealed that he was the God of K'un-Lun, and that Yu-Ti had been sacrificing innocent blood on Khan's behalf for centuries! When his and Yu-Ti's plan is undone by Danny & Luke, he is annoyed, but almost moreso at Yu-Ti's presumption that Khan needs to do something about it.

-The character disappears for a few years after that book is gone, but pops up once more in Namor, where it turns out that he was the one behind Iron Fist's "Death", having created a doppelganger to die in Danny's place, while Danny cured his cancer in captivity, using his Chi. Namor discovers all of this, as John Byrne was using the opportunity in that book to undo the stupid death of Iron Fist- he says that Roger Stern is the one who came up with the idea to make Master Khan the real identity of a "Tyrone King" in Namor's book. Khan then mind-wiped Namor and stole most of his company's assets, then made him ally with Doctor Doom. Namor was missing for an entire year (in his own comic? How did THAT work?) and killed Khan out of revenge. The character has not reappeared since 1992, being largely seen as a bizarre add-on to Danny's overall story.

-Master Khan is your "Typical Wizard" in many ways, but probably a fair bit more powerful- distorting reality, flying, shrinking stuff, fire blasts, etc. I dunno, PL 12-ish?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowmask

Post by Shadowmask »

So Master Khan is a Master Pain (aka Betty) expy.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jack of Spades wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:15 am
Blind_Pugh wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:46 pm This version below though, not Venom, not stupid pincer hands. Classic Scorpion. One of my most memorable characters to those that have met me was called Mac Gargan in homage.
He SO needs a good Thunderbolts run! He can never go hero after the Venom stuff, but it would be fantastic to see him work his way back to respectability on the Villain totem pole.

See him score some victories over guys thought to be on his level that really shouldn't be. Let him reclaim his own mind, show him working to better then using his PI skills. He'd be so good!
This, absolutely this, for the Scorpion and several others of his ilk who should be respected for surviving this long as a super-villain. In my Marvel campaign, they do get some respect among their fellow villains because they're alive, no more insane than when they started, and haven't turned into grim & gritty parodies of themselves (or got over it).
What I'd kind of like to see is a rookie hero taking on guys like this, and absolutely getting his ass handed to him. Establishing that a professional super-villain who's been at it for years would be a SERIOUS opponent to face.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:16 am Huh. I don't really see Lei Kung as that formidable, since he's never really beaten anyone major in the MU to my knowledge. I just don't see him as, say, Spider-Man's equal in combat, or even Wolverine, because those guys just go up against all sorts of opponents all the time, many clearly more physically powerful than themselves.

Iron Fist's origin and much of his background is a straight-up rip of the Centaur Comics' Amazing Man (long public domain); this even got called-out when the mysterious A-Man appeared as a rival Immortal Weapon late in the series. Charlton's hero The Human Thunderbolt is another, even more blatant ersatz of Amazing Man, except with the Golden Age Daredevil's costume
The issue with Lei Kung, like I said, is a general lack of "Feats". I just sort of had to ASSUME he was great, because he's a war-leader in K'un-Lun, and has trained every Iron Fist over the generations.
And a Samurai who became a Ninja? Only in comics.

All my best.
There's actually more overlap than you'd think throughout history. Many Samurai were known to use ninja-like tactics.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Posting Iron Fist builds is something I've actually been waiting to do for a LONG time. The last time I posted them as a set, it was Sept. 2013- almost five years ago! And it was about six months before the Atomic Think Tank shut down, resulting in me having to start up a new thread. I'd always wanted the "Fist"-related builds transferred over, but never really got around to it on RA.

Part of the issue was the timing- doing an "Avengers" set resulted in my re-posting Danny anyways. Then going through the Marvel Index resulted in re-posting Yu-Ti and others. THEN I figured I'd eventually get to them as a set... but kept pushing it back (largely because the then-hot story of "Cultural Appropriation" was running hot, and I didn't want it to overwhelm the builds). Annoyingly, I did several other letters of the Glossary, leaving out "B" names like Bride of Nine Spiders and others, leaving near-permanent blank spots on those pages. It irks me so :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blind_Pugh

Post by Blind_Pugh »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:55 am
Jack of Spades wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:15 am
What I'd kind of like to see is a rookie hero taking on guys like this, and absolutely getting his ass handed to him. Establishing that a professional super-villain who's been at it for years would be a SERIOUS opponent to face.
In a Savage Worlds game I played a where we were all essentially street level rookies with highly limited powers (my guy could only phase through inanimate stuff. So he'd walk through your wall, but if you then threw a brick at him he'd need to dodge.) the GM had us in mortal fear of Stilt-Man.

I know it's a ridiculously hyperbolic example, but that's absolutely how long term villains should look to rookies. Especially people that fight Spider-Man when you actually sit down and think about his capabilities.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Misty Knight & Colleen Wing! Cockroach! Boris & Ninotchka!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Yojimbo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:03 am Hey! "Tyrone King" was an alias. He turned out to not even be black.
LOL- I totally wrote the part if Master Khan's build two weeks ago regarding that bit, but had COMPLETELY forgotten that by the time you made this comment :).