Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Ichabod Crane

Post by Jabroniville »

ICHABOD CRANE
Played by:
Bing Crosby
Role: Gold-Digger, Manipulative Bastard, Big Eater
PL 3 (37)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Schoolmaster) 2 (+5)
Expertise (Singing & Dancing) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Persuasion 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Minion 3 (Weak Horse), Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
Features 1: Can Eat As Much as Possible and Remain Thin [1]
Quickness 2 (Flaws: Limited to Eating) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications:
Relationship (Katrina)- Though he's attracted to her, Ichabod is mainly interested in her money.
Motivation (Money & Eats)- Ichabod can't WAIT for Katrina's dear pappy to pass on, so that he may inherit his wealth.
Rivalry (Brom Bones)- The two compete for the hand of the beautiful Katrina. Ichabod is smarter and more dextrous, but Brom has an advantage...
Responsibility (Supersticious)- Ichabod is a very supersticious individual, and puts a lot of stock into Old Wives' Tales and local legends.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 8 (37)

-Ichabod is actually a bit of a bastard in the movie, and manipulates and lies to people in order to eat his fill of the village ladies' feasts. He actually stands a rather solid shot at marrying Katrina thanks to a bit of charisma and dancing ability compared to his lunkish nemesis, Brom Bones. He's quite capable at avoiding hits (even accidentally), but is no warrior on his own, and pretty weak-willed.

About the Performer: Well, it's BING CROSBY. One of the few stars of the era still known all over to this day. He was the biggest singer in his time (appearing on radio to a degree even Katy Perry would be astounded by today- ten of the top 50 songs of 1931 were his), lived to do a duet with friggin' David Bowie, and today is famous for beating his kids... which one of them insists is the result of one of their siblings writing a scathing "tell-all" after being manipulated by his agent in order to sell more books. One points out "You IDIOT! This is now one of the things that everybody thinks of when they think of our dad!", though apparently three of the four admit he was pretty violent with them (though only Gary painted him as a frequently-vicious man).
Ken

Re: Ichabod Crane

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:31 pmAbout the Performer: Well, it's BING CROSBY. One of the few stars of the era still known all over to this day. He was the biggest singer in his time (appearing on radio to a degree even Katy Perry would be astounded by today- ten of the top 50 songs of 1931 were his), lived to do a duet with friggin' David Bowie, and today is famous for beating his kids... which one of them insists is the result of one of their siblings writing a scathing "tell-all" after being manipulated by his agent in order to sell more books. One points out "You IDIOT! This is now one of the things that everybody thinks of when they think of our dad!", though apparently three of the four admit he was pretty violent with them (though only Gary painted him as a frequently-vicious man).
Not everybody. In fact, I'm not sure I'd ever heard of this about the man until I read it here. That he was harsher in real life than his on screen persona, though, makes sense. To be as successful as he was, he probably had to be disciplined in his craft, and probably cut-throat in the business.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Evil Queen! Pinocchio! Chernabog! Bambi!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

catsi563 wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:54 pm theres also the similar notion of the Horsemen being real in the original story as well. Irving did a great job really selling the mystery of whether the horsemen was a real or Brom leaving it to the readers imagination.

The horsemen in the animated version was terrifying though and to this day has one of the most distinctive villain laughs ever.

I hear that!

when I was very very little, the Headless Horseman was both awesome and terrifying. So much so that I used to have nightmares about headless people coming to get me.

That stuff stuck with me so much that in a D&D campaign a few years ago, I did a little side quest where my character and my niece's character (we made the most of two players, there's no one else around who really wants to play) being chased by orcs and finding a creepy old mansion out in the middle of nowhere we take refuge in.

Turns out there's a girl being held captive in the attic and tells us there's a a key in the basement that could get her out of this magically sealed room.

So we go downstairs, find the key easily enough but on our way back up we start running into hordes of puppet like headless mannequins. Just hordes of the things. We barely got through those suckers too (I wasn't fixing our rolls, I was being as honest as I could as both DM and player). That was THE hardest fight of our entire game. I mean we fought bosses that didn't kick our asses half as hard.

Speaking of which, we free the girl and she turns out to be an evil witch that was sealed away in there by a good wizard.

And the damn headless mannequins were tougher. I cannot stress that enough. Our fight with the spell slinging hag was anti-climactic...but those damn wooden headless terrors from my childhood.

Yeah.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Also Ichabod, Brom, and Katrina....ya know I don't see them as horrible people. They're just people ya know?
Jabroniville

Brom Bones

Post by Jabroniville »

THE HEADLESS HORSEMAN (aka Brom Bones)
Played by:
Bing Crosby
Role: Town Tough-Guy, Big Moose
PL 5 (63)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Town Bully) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Equipment (Headless Horseman Costume- +4 Intimidation), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Minion 4 (Red-Eyed Horse), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Relationship (Katrina)- Like most of the men in town, he's got a thing for the busty daughter of a local wealthy man.
Rivalry (Ichabod Crane)- The two compete for the hand of the beautiful Katrina. Ichabod is smarter and more dextrous, while Brom is stronger and scarier.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 5 (63)

-Brom is heavily-implied to be The Headless Horseman, just like the book, as he scares Ichabod with the tale of the Horsemen, and that very night the Horseman appears with his madman's cackle to chase Crane off. Interestingly, even though he plays the type of guy that's usually the Town Bully, Bing Crosby narrates that there's "no malice" in his actions, and that he's just a boorish guy who likes to break stuff. The only character he's antagonistic towards is Ichabod Crane, who as stated is a prick.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

or anyone that goes after Katrina....cause that's HIS woman....and she manipulates all this just to make him more possessive, so kinda true to life
Jabroniville

Mr. Toad

Post by Jabroniville »

J. THADDEUS TOAD
Played by:
Eric Blore
Role: Rich Twit, Dangerous Driver
PL 2 (47)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 1 (+1))

Advantages:
Benefit (Owner of Toad Hall), Close Attack 2, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"MOTORCARS!!" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (Flaws: Uncontrolled, Limited to Path Travelled, Requires Motor Vehicle) [5]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +2

Complications:
Obsession ("MOTORCARS!")- Toad is a slave to his whims, and his whims involve climbing into some sort of moving contraption and going as fast as possible.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 3 (47)

-Toad is your classic Upper-Class Twit, driving his three friends Mole, Rat and Badger batty while obsessing over whatever his latest fad is. His destructiveness with horsecarts, motorcars and even an AIRPLANE are driving him to bankruptcy. He was played by Eric Blore, who appeared as an English butler in half of the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers dance films.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:12 pm Also Ichabod, Brom, and Katrina....ya know I don't see them as horrible people. They're just people ya know?
To each their own opinion, but when I was a kid watching it on the Wonderful World of Disney, I didn't find any of them appealing but I loved it because the Horseman scared the crap out of me. In a good, childlike "fun to be scared" kind of way, not the Poltergeist clown "I will never be in a room alone with a clown doll to this day" kinda scared. :)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Cinderella (Film)

Post by Jabroniville »

I love Nippy13's art so much.

CINDERELLA (1950):
Written By: Charles Perrault (original), Ken Anderson, Perce Pearce, Homer Brightman, Winston Hibler, BilL Peet, Erdman Penner, Harry Reeves, Joe Rinaldi, Ted Sears & Maurice Rapf

-So in 1950, after YEARS of being forced to make cheap-ass "Compilations Of Shorts" films, Walt Disney FINALLY had enough money in the Baby Boom Era to make a REAL picture again. Cinderella, based off of a famous story by Charles Perrault, is only the SECOND "Disney Princesss" movie, thirteen years after Snow White, though really Disney didn't quite go full-bore into the "Princess" thing until more recent decades- the first 40 years only sees three Princesses.

This is one I hadn't seen literally since I was a small child, so I checked it out when I first did my Disney Builds in 2013. I'm struck by how much of a stone-cold hottie Cindy is immediately (more beautiful than curvaceous, of course), despite being more of a strawberry-blonde lass than the blonde girl we see in the current Disney Merchandise. The animation is quite good (keep in mind this is now SIXTY-THREE YEARS LATER and you could release it in 2018 and they'd be all "wow, that's quite pretty in parts"), doing the usual "Disney Over-Animation" thing, but everythings looks nice. OOH-DE-LALLY- there's a SHOWER SCENE in here!! Okay, so it's just a naked back, but c'mon, Cindy's got it going on- I DEFINITELY saw this before I hit puberty, cuz I'd sure remember THAT. Moving on...

Not a fan of the songs- too old-fashioned (duh, right?) and full of just holding the notes too long. I'm practically an old man when it comes to musical tastes (everyone knows Rock attained perfection in 1976!), but this stuff is just too old-timey- long, drawn-out notes are very good to show someone's vocal capabilities, but aren't really good for songs. There's a reason only one song from this movie is really well-known. When you think about it, it's really funny how different this is from the other films in the canon- there's very little actual danger or action sequences at all- which is something Disney usually started adding to make more authentic villains and to appeal to young boys as well as girls. Hell, there's only even MAGIC involved for like ten minutes of plot. Compare this to nearly any other film in the Disney Animated Canon (even the Princess ones) and it basically comes across more as a domestic drama.

Not that this lessens any of the emotional impact- keeping your stepdaughter as a SLAVE is pretty low, and the scene where the two Ugly Stepsisters rip apart poor Cindy's dress is STILL capable of seeming exceptionally inhumane, even given some of the murderous monsters in the Disney franchise. One guy I know showed this to his Elementary School class one time, and they literally BOOED when Lady Tremaine tripped the footman! Now THAT is a complete bitch move!

It's funny how much of an Ass Pull Deus Ex Machina the whole "Fairy Godmother" thing is, but it's basically the crux of the entire story AND it's not coming at the climax, so it's all okay and comes across less lame than in poorer stories- the Fairy Godmother doesn't actually SOLVE everything, she just gets Cinderella to the ball. Everything after that is on our girl. I also get a kick out of how casually and easily Cindy just ACCEPTS the whole thing, like "oh hey there magic lady with the wand, how's it going?"- she obviously knows these things exist. I also dig the whole "Magic, But With a Limit" thing, like how Gargoyles always handled it- Magic had pre-set limits. Of course, the "clock strikes twelve" thing is probably the most famous Magical Caveat in history, but still.

It's hilarious how little The Prince figures into the story- he's such a Plot Device here. He gets dragged into the ball by his grandchildren-obsessed father, falls for Cinderella, then, in a bizarre twist, the whole search for the shoe-wearer takes place without him! It's all the Duke and his footmen! Prince Charming is in the movie for like five minutes! Also funny: they dragged every maiden in the kingdom to the Ball, and now they all gotta sit there and watch Cinderella dance with the Prince. THAT has to suck- "oh hey thanx for coming but this chick is totally hotter than y'all K BYE!" That shoe she leaves behind is RIDICULOUSLY tiny- these guys' hands are just enormous compared to it- does Cinderella practise foot-binding or something?

The traditional stories are a bit different, but keep most of the thematic elements. The Grimm Brothers of course made a freakier version where the stepsisters have their eyes pecked out by birds, but the original French version gives them a happy ending once they repent their actions.

Overall, I liked it, but it wasn't GREAT or anything. I can see how it appeals to girls, though, what with the Rags-To-Riches story (this is, effectively, the greatest Underdog Story of any fairy tale, and back then, marriage WAS many women's only way out of a poor, servile existence), the mean villains, the lack of sheer mortal terror and fisticuffs figuring into everything (short of a cat versus some mice, there's no real danger), and the happy ending with the pretty dresses. This is real "Primal Fascination" stuff for people, especially the female of the species. The animation is great (especially given the time period), the characters are good (everyone but the Prince has some great moments- the King and his obsessive, murderous demands for grandchildren are a hoot; the Grand Duke is funny as a Butt Monkey aide, the sisters are humorously stupid and rude; and Lady Tremaine is OH SO VICIOUS), and despite the Deus Ex Machina, the main crux of the story happens after that.

Reception and Cultural Impact:
-This movie is HUGE. Not only was it wildly successful in its own time (the first Disney movie since Dumbo to do so well), it's gone on to make the Disney company billions. Hell, the tale of Cinderella is one of the most famous, repeated stories in Western civilization, and Walt's version is STILL by far the most famous and iconic version! Walt himself considered Cinderella's dress forming from the fairy dust to be the finest thing his studio ever put together, and the entire tale is easily-remembered by everyone, even if they've only seen it once. The antics of the Wicked Stepsisters are iconic "slovenly villain" stuff (has anything ever defined a character so quickly as Anastasia uncouthly wiping her nose with an outstretched finger?), and Lady Tremaine is authentically fearsome for somebody with very little real power (she's an economically-flailing woman with a big house, essentially)- she just has power over CINDERELLA, and that's all we need to know.

The film is very well-respected and is beautifully-shot, though the basic story gets ripped on a lot for the very bog-standard "and then she gets married and that fixes everything" ending. Granted, that was actually a VERY COMMON THING back when the story was written. Some of that irks modern ideals a tad, but I choose to see it more as a "being a nice person pays off in the end" kind of a thing- the "winning the man" is Cinderella's reward for a lifetime of heartbreak, hard work, and never giving up on her dreams. It's schmaltzy, but this is GODDAMN DISNEY, and you just accept these things sometimes, especially in a 1950 film.

Cinderella herself is an iconic Disney character, and one of the lead "Disney Princesses" in the line, often taking center stage- both her and Aurora are arguably the most "Princess Classic", being beautiful, graceful, mature young women in classic dresses- Snow White is too young and pastoral, and most of the later ones are too fight-y and/or immature. She's appeared on a ridiculous amount of merchandise, is a regular Face Character in the parks, and even lends her name to the centerpiece castles of Walt Disney World and Tokyo Disneyland! "Cinderella Castle" is a fantastically-large, very beautiful structure, decked out like a cartoon castle, and given some pretty great "Forced Perspective" to make a comparatively-small castle looking absolutely massive (the spires are wider at the bases, and get thinner near the tops, creating the impression that they're much taller, shrinking as they go into the distance). Much is made on Disney Forums about which castle is the nicest- Disney World's is a classic, and Tokyo has a near-identical one- Paris's is pink (and is named after Aurora), and Tokyo's is on a giant hill/ledge thing.

Most of the Parks's "Official Disney Princess" dress-up stores are named for the Fairy Godmother- the "Bibbidi-Bobbity Boutique". The Prince is considered the most iconic of the "Generic Disney Princes" that populate the pre-1980s movies, too. He's pretty bland, simple, and doesn't do much. The Wicked Stepsisters have gone on to become characters in their own right, often wandering around the various Parks as Face Characters acting like complete asses- most fans will claim their best character interactions are with the sisters, as the actresses (sorry... "Friends of the Stepsisters") just go balls to the wall with the horrendous behavior, shrieking and boorishly stomping around.

The movie received TWO controversial sequels in the 2000s, shamelessly getting by on name value. Cinderella 2 is an atrocious, poorly-told trio of Short Stories themed around daily life around the kingdom, though there's at least a nice bit for Anastasia, who finds a boy she likes that her mother doesn't approve of. Cinderella 3 is, I shit you not, ACTUALLY NOT THAT BAD, as it elaborates upon Cinderella's Prince (his dad points out the oddity of choosing a wife based on shoe size), and actually features some REAL evil, as Lady Tremaine grabs hold of the Fairy Godmother's wand, freezes her into a statue, and undoes Cinderella's happy ending, forcing her to win it back! In the end, Anastasia is the one who comes to save the day, as she realizes her "love" for the Prince is a fake, saying "I want what YOU have" to her stepsister.

The movie received one of Disney's patented "Live-Action Remakes" in 2015, featuring beauty Lily James (of Downton Abbey fame) in the title role, and a more dynamic relationship with various cast members. Lady Tremaine was given a bit more sympathy (the animated version has her be 100% evil)- she was still rotten, but it came from a position of fear and jealousy over her new stepdaughter getting all of her husband's attention. She also had more of a relationship with the Bland Prince beforehand, so their meeting was less "he sees her and instantly is in love". The movie wasn't terribly memorable overall, though- I think most of the praise went to Cate Blanchett as Lady Tremaine.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Re: Jab's Builds! (Brer Rabbit! Ichabod Crane! Mr. Toad! Cinderella!)

Post by MacynSnow »

My first HS play was Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella where i played one of the Prince's Personal Guards with my Brother.Our Director let us help out backstage(our part's were rather small and we asked,so why not?).We went NUTS setting up everything we could about the Kingdom & Environ's.We got the other actor's together and showed them how to do 'Stage Fights' and how to Pantomime Emotion's&Story elements without actually saying anything.We set-up everything from a Treasury System to a Diplomatic Corp. to a Border checkpoint at the Theater Doors!
That's why i always have a soft spot for Anastasia and he Kingdom....
Side note:The Woman that got the Roses at the end was Lady Tremaine,NOT Cinderella as is tradition.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:12 pm Also Ichabod, Brom, and Katrina....ya know I don't see them as horrible people. They're just people ya know?
I always kinda felt that Ichabod dreaming of his future father-in-law's impending demise painted him in a negative light... unless I'm imagining that dream sequence.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, the characters in Sleepy Hollow really were really more "selfish" than "bad". In a way, the whole thing reminds me of a highschool drama.

Ichabod is a kind of creepy, self-serving nerd who knows a few tricks to be impressive, Brom is a generally good-natured but somewhat jealous and possessive, and Katrina is the cheerleader who knows she's hot and just what to do to wrap people around her finger, how to get away with anything and how to make the guy she's interested in jealous.

Which is probably why they all annoy me. It's like watching a bunch of adults that are still acting like they're in highschool. Of the three, Brom is probably the most decent, just being lead around by his hormones. Katrina is that girl your mom warned you about, and Ichabod doesn't actively want to hurt anyone, but he doesn't really care about anyone but himself.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:08 amOf the three, Brom is probably the most decent, just being lead around by his hormones.
Y'know, I'm not sure I'd consider chasing someone into a potentially fatal horseback riding accident, or throwing a flaming jack-o-lantern filled with kerosene (or whale oil or whatever) at someone's face as "decent".
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ken wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:37 pm
Ares wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:08 amOf the three, Brom is probably the most decent, just being lead around by his hormones.
Y'know, I'm not sure I'd consider chasing someone into a potentially fatal horseback riding accident, or throwing a flaming jack-o-lantern filled with kerosene (or whale oil or whatever) at someone's face as "decent".
I said "the most decent" in comparison to the other two. He's still acting like a jealous, hormone controlled dunderhead.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:10 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:37 pm
I said "the most decent" in comparison to the other two. He's still acting like a jealous, hormone controlled dunderhead.
It's established early on just how GOOD a shot Brom Bones is(especially with an Early Musket,as those things are notoriously inaccurate even at point-blank range), so if he honestly wanted to hurt Ichabod during that chase,he seriously could've...

That's not saying he was by no means a Good person,he was a total hormonal Idiot Jock and that stupid chase wasn't Completely Dangerous to both riders,just that the man wanted his rival gone from the area.

There's a Live-Action version of this(one that doesn't star Johnny Deep) that showed everybody in a slightly better light(even Katrina!).
Then there's the one that showed up on TV called Sleepy Hollow,which added more Supernatural horror to it and made Crane into a Revolutionary Spy for Washington(which would've fit,given the timeframe)....