Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Disney Fairies! Iridessa! Silvermist! Vidia!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Man, no comments from Ares about how awful mean, bossy, cynical girls are :)? Or have you finally copped to their glory? That must be it!
Jabroniville

Rosetta

Post by Jabroniville »

ROSETTA (In the Human World)
Played by:
Kristin Chenoweth (1-3), Megan Hilty (4-5)
Role: Southern Belle, Fussy Germophobe, Man-Hungry Girly-Girl
Obvious Lesbian Relationship With: Chloe (a sport, rough & tumble, short-haired Fairy gels SO WELL with Rosetta's curvy girlishness)
PL 4 (105)
STRENGTH
-4 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 6 (+9)
Athletics 8 (+4)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Horticulture) 8 (+8)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 1 (+4)
Stealth 0 (+3, +13 Size)

Advantages:
Evasion, Improved Initiative

Powers:
"Fairy Physiology"
Comprehend 1 (Speak to Animals) [2]
"Small Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
(-3 Strength, -1 Speed, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation)

"She Can Fly!" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
"You Can Fly!" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Affects Objects) [12]

"Garden Talent Fairy"
Comprehend 1 (Speak to Plants) [2]

"Grow Plants" Growth 4 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Plants) (Diminished Range -2) (10) -- [12]
  • AE: "Seaweed Snare" Snare 4 (Feats: Reversible) (Flaws: Requires Plants) (9)
  • AE: Move Object 6 (Feats: Precise) (Flaws: Limited to Plants) (7)
Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-4 Damage, DC 11)
Snare +4 (+4 Ranged Affliction, DC 14)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness -2, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Garden Talent)- Rosetta and the Garden Fairies are in charge of beautifying nature through plants- they paint flowers different colours, and command the plants to open and grow.
Power Loss (Wings)- Fairy Wings cannot flap when wet, resulting in grounded Fairies. They also need Pixie Dust to fly, and will run out after a certain amount of time. Their wings will break if kept in the cold for too long.
Enemy (Hawks)- Hawks and other predators are vile, soulless menaces, and apparently can't even be spoken to like regular animals can.
Quirk- Fairy Speech sounds like a bell ringing to humans. Only a few known have ever been able to understand them.
---
Phobia ("I don't really DO mud!")- Rosetta is deathly afraid of dirt & germs, and even in times of danger is horrified at getting mixed up in dirtiness. She nearly fails her friend Chloe in the Pixie Hollow Games thanks to this aversion.
Responsibility (Man-Crazy)- Rosetta acts demure and sweet, but falls apart pretty readily around some beefy sparrowman.
Relationship (Tinker Bell, Iridessa, Silvermist, Vidia & Fawn)

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 58 / Defenses: 6 (105)

ROSETTA (In the Fairy World)
Played by:
Kristin Chenoweth (1-3), Megan Hilty (4-5)
Role: Southern Belle, Fussy Germophobe, Man-Hungry Girly-Girl
Obvious Lesbian Relationship With: Chloe (a sport, rough & tumble, short-haired Fairy gels SO WELL with Rosetta's curvy girlishness)
PL 6 (107)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 6 (+9)
Athletics 8 (+8)
Expertise (Horticulture) 8 (+8)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 1 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Fairy Physiology"
"She Can Fly!" Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [9]
"You Can Fly!" Flight 4 (30 mph) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Affects Objects) [12]

"Garden Talent Fairy"
Comprehend 1 (Speak to Plants) [2]

"Grow Plants" Growth 12 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Plants) (24) -- [26]
  • AE: "Seaweed Snare" Snare 8 (Feats: Reversible) (Flaws: Requires Plants) (17)
  • AE: Move Object 8 (Feats: Precise) (Flaws: Limited to Plants) (9)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Snare +4 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Garden Talent)- Rosetta and the Garden Fairies are in charge of beautifying nature through plants- they paint flowers different colours, and command the plants to open and grow.
Power Loss (Wings)- Fairy Wings cannot flap when wet, resulting in grounded Fairies. They also need Pixie Dust to fly, and will run out after a certain amount of time. Their wings will break if kept in the cold for too long.
Enemy (Hawks)- Hawks and other predators are vile, soulless menaces, and apparently can't even be spoken to like regular animals can.
Quirk- Fairy Speech sounds like a bell ringing to humans. Only a few known have ever been able to understand them.
---
Phobia ("I don't really DO mud!")- Rosetta is deathly afraid of dirt & germs, and even in times of danger is horrified at getting mixed up in dirtiness. She nearly fails her friend Chloe in the Pixie Hollow Games thanks to this aversion.
Responsibility (Man-Crazy)- Rosetta acts demure and sweet, but falls apart pretty readily around some beefy sparrowman.
Relationship (Tinker Bell, Iridessa, Silvermist, Vidia & Fawn)

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 9 (107)

-Rosetta's design is a bit plain, basically having generic "Girly Hair" (sort of looks like Belle's, actually- the way the hair is pinned back is the same) and a simple pink Tinker Bell-esque outfit (albeit made from rose petals). I was a bit disappointed many years ago, doing a Google Image Search to find out my Beloved Kristin Chenoweth was playing a more-forgettable looking character... and then I noticed THOSE HIPS. I mean, I consider myself a boob guy first and foremost, but MY GOD. They're wider than her SHOULDERS! A few more inches on that can, and she's in Elastigirl territory! There's this scene in The Great Fairy Rescue when she's forced to lightly step through mud, and it's like they put the whole focus on those monster thighs and calves, which are glistening from the rain and... wait, where was I?

-Rosetta is the next most-entertaining Fairy, after Vidia. Mostly because, like Vidia, she stands out in the way she can react to others- she's a Southern Belle Princess-type who hates dirt ("But you're a GARDEN FAIRY." "Ironic, isn't it?"), mud, bugs, rodents and all sorts of other things. Her fussiness and girlishness annoys everyone around her, making her a fun source of conflict. Voiced by the insurmountable Kristin Chenoweth for the first three films, she's actually pretty-horribly wasted for the most part, only saying a handful of things in the first two, and never getting any good lines. It isn't until the third (The Great Fairy Rescue) that she actually shows some more personality, acting all fussy about dirt even while lives are at stake- it's HERE that we get Cheno's classic "squeaky girl voice that drops low to denote negative emotions" and some hilarious line-readings.

-Kristin is replaced by Megan Hilty (herself no stranger to replacing Cheno- she was the Standby for Glinda in the Original Cast for Wicked, and was the third lead to play her), who really struggles with the voice at first. I mean, ain't NOBODY replacing Kristin Chenoweth's ridiculously-distinctive voice. The fact that Cheno's Oklahoman and naturally speaks with the accent (like most Southern actors, she learned to hide it to get roles and do interviews) probably made the Southern accent easier, too. The attitude is there (and the Princess Jokes keep coming, exaggerating her character as time goes on), but the voice is lower and the accent isn't all there. Hilty seems to pick up on it later on, though. She's funny in The Pixie Hollow Games, a 22-minute episode that focuses entirely on her and her struggles with doing jock-ish stuff (she arrives for the first contest in a FLOOR-LENGTH GOWN). She can't quite bring herself to FULLY commit to the games until she sees how much her teammate Chloe (a typical dirty-clothed Tomboy with short hair) REALLY wants to win, and even after she improves a hundredfold and they move up the standings, she STILL falters at the last minute in the penultimate challenge, ruining things because she doesn't want to get slimy.

-This actually turns her from a Fussy Princess into more of a straight-up Germophobe, as even CHLOE seems to understand Ro when she goes "I TRIED- I just CAN'T." However, she sucks it up and gets muddy for the final Drag Race, saving the day. It's a cute little bit, and can really only be done with a more dynamic character like her. It's also funny that Rosetta is apparently the only man-crazy Fairy in all of Pixie Hollow, as she goes weak in the knees (literally) for Sled, the sexy, strong-jawed Tall Dark & Handsome Sparrowman from the Winter Woods. It's kind of funny watching her drool over someone. Though I, of course, only ship her with the adorable Chloe, whose tomboyish, slender, dirty appearance and pixie-haircut mesh SO WELL with Rosetta's glamorous cirls and monstro-hips.

-While awesome, Rosetta is the least-capable of the Fairies in terms of fighting or being athletic. She's a BIT brighter and tougher than her "Southern Belle" act would lead on, but she's definitely the fussiest member of the group.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:20 am Man, no comments from Ares about how awful mean, bossy, cynical girls are :)? Or have you finally copped to their glory? That must be it!
I was just going to leave it alone and leave you to your masochistic fantasies, but hey, if you really want I can happily go on a me-esque rant. But the kind of verbal castigation it would include would probably just turn you on and I only like you as a friend.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Movie 3.5

Post by Jabroniville »

The Pixie Hollow Games:
-The "Odd One Out" in this series- it's a 22-minute short (about the length of a TV episode) centred around Rosetta & Chloe (a new Garden Fairy) as they perform in The Pixie Hollow Games, an Olympiad of sorts where two Fairies from each "Talent" group compete for a trophy. It sounds stupid, but I swear this is the funniest of all the movies. Since the Garden Fairies ALWAYS place last, Rosetta (who's been forced into it since the dirt-hating Southern Belle has skipped out on every OTHER Games) doesn't much like their chances of winning, but the exciteable Chloe (complete with Pigpen-like dirt cloud and tomboyish pixie haircut... appropriate for this series, no?) is super-eager to win. Oddly, despite this being Rosetta's biggest showcase ever, it's also her first shot without Kristin Chenoweth as her voice- having just given Rosetta a real personality in the last movie, she is replaced by Megan Hilty, who does her best, but doesn't have the voice or accent down as well- Cheno's a tough act to follow.

Humorously, this pairs the Jock/Tomboy with the girliest Fairy in all of Pixie Hollow (she shows up to the first event wearing A BALLGOWN, which is so skintight that he shows off every contour of her Elastigirl-like hips), and of course their opponents are Evil Jock Overlords in The Storm Fairies (Rumble & Glimmer, though Glimmer is a normal, polite girl, and Rumble talks in the third person). Only a series of clamitous event keep the Garden Fairies in the game (they accidentally wreck the Healing Fairies' Frog-Vaulting Apparatus in the first race). Rosetta's increasing disgust with basically EVERYTHING is hilarious (she's COVERED in frog slime by the end of the race!), though she starts trying when she sees how much this means to Chloe. Heh- Ivy, one of the Garden Fairy Cheering Squad, is CONSTANTLY crying, not just when upset- that's funny.

These events are actually pretty cool- Dragonfly Racing, Mouse Polo/Lacrosse, and something like an American Gladiators event involving little woven balls they have to run into the centre of the arena to grab some marbles and bring them back (Ro is actually a big help, realizing the other woven balls are gonna hit in the middle and bounce back, leaving them a clearing).

This is actually a REALLY FUN little short, lasting about as long as a typical TV episode. Rosetta's fussiness plays off so well against Chloe's rambunctious eagerness, and I love how their relationship works. Rosetta actually TRIES because of Chloe's enthusiasm, even though you can see how much she doesn't like it. And when Ro's fussiness costs them one race, she has to tearfully confess that she can't lower herself to that, and Chloe is utterly heartbroken, but somewhat understanding in a way that makes it all the sadder. It's very sweet, and pays off in the end (when Ro willingly gets filthy so they can win the final event). Rumble being a douchebag is great, as is Glimmer's refusal to play along with their cheating and arrogance.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:59 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:20 am Man, no comments from Ares about how awful mean, bossy, cynical girls are :)? Or have you finally copped to their glory? That must be it!
I was just going to leave it alone and leave you to your masochistic fantasies, but hey, if you really want I can happily go on a me-esque rant. But the kind of verbal castigation it would include would probably just turn you on and I only like you as a friend.
A-are you sure you don’t want to throw something at me, disregard my opinions, call me an idiot... then tenderly hold me like you actually appreciate me deep-down? Because I... I wouldn’t mind that.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Peter Pan! Tinker Bell! Capt. Hook! Disney Fairies!)

Post by Jabroniville »

M4C8 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:16 pm Lucy Liu is 49 years old :shock:
So is Jennifer Lopez and Jennifer Aniston.

It's really bizarre. Women in Hollywood these days just look the same until their fifties. And some stay hotter even past that. I remember the days when a woman turned 40 and she was immediately deemed sexless by Hollywood. Hell, ageism still happens at 30 (look at how Anne Hathaway just disappeared overnight once her younger "successors" like Jennifer Lawrence got all the roles that would have once gone to her), but some of these women just keep getting work after 40 nowadays.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Iridessa! Silvermist! Vidia the Best Fairy! Rosetta!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Also, this is what Rosetta's two VAs look like:

ImageImage

... I just felt you should know that.
Jabroniville

Quotes!

Post by Jabroniville »

More old Fairy-related quotes!
Woodclaw wrote:As Jab noted, the biggest problem of VA is that you have to work with a single tool, even with the current habit of basing an animated character on the mannerisms of the VA, there's still a layer of separation that an actor must overcome using voice alone. In many cases choosing an actor only because the production need that special quicrk he's famous for backfires easily, since the performance might result in a wooden, monotone voice.
Spectrum wrote:I Know That Voice is a great documentary from John DiMaggio (Bender) with interviews from many of the top talent in VA work. Much of it has already been heard in the channel before but its a great hearing it from the people that bring you such great voices. You may still be able to see it on Netflix.
Jabroniville wrote:I think to get a great performance out of VAs, you either need an experienced pro, or a theatrical performer who's just as experienced using their voice, so people in the "cheap seats" (or as cheap as you'll get on Broadway) can also get a sense of your performance.

It's kind of funny, because Robin Williams sort of made the whole "Celebrity Voice Actor" thing a huge deal. Disney had ALWAYS done it (both Jiminy Cricket & Baloo were performed by actors who were well-known to the audience at the time), but Williams made a THING out of it. Though they didn't ALWAYS stick the major characters with famous performers (Hercules, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Beauty & The Beast & Pocahontas used Broadway performers for the lead roles), eventually almost ALL of the Supporting Cast ended up being that way. Even Tangled used Mandy Moore and the guy from Chuck.

In that same Podcast I mentioned before, a host talked about how at the time people were excited when Jodi Benson was the voice of Ariel, because she was kind of ALMOST known at the time (the girl from some sitcom). Aladdin was also the boyfriend of DJ on Full House. THOSE were the kind of celebs you saw in most animated films. But now... Disney & Pixar generally stick to celebrities (most Pixar films especially seem celeb-heavy; Disney has more Musicals, so they need to stick with Broadway performers sometimes), and anyone ELSE'S film is basically going to include nothing BUT. Kung Fu Panda was full of "names", as was How To Train Your Dragon. Never mind Madagascar.

Though given the number of cartoons still being produced for television, I'm sure most VAs still get a TON of work. It's just not the high-paying film stuff they probably deserve.
Spectrum wrote:You're right, the good talent does. It's not just original run cartoons, it's also video games, commercials and anime translations*. It'll be interesting to see if the brony VAs actually turn it into a career over the next few years.

* Netflix must have a great deal with Funimation, they get nearly everything. On the other hand, the company keeps a steady stable of VAs. It can be very amusing hearing the same voice come out of two very different characters.
Skavenger wrote:I'm not afraid to admit one of the only reasons I stuck with Smash was to hear the songs and to see if/when Megan Hilty would next take all of her clothes off. It happened surprisingly often.
Jabroniville wrote:Damn, I KNEW I shoulda been watching that show! Everyone I know who saw it says they were "hate-watching" it, because it was horribly-scripted but had some amazing performances at the same time (though Katherine McPhee was notoriously way-worse than Hilty, to the point where it was wrecking the show's core concept of both girls being "worthy" of the part).

But my god, she's SO PRETTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY... she looks exactly like you'd think a movie star from the 1950s would look, all fresh-faced and not built like a twig or anything. And she's got a figure that makes it believable that she's played Marilyn Monroe, Glinda the Good and Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 character, too!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqZCUwXdgmg
Skavenger wrote: Having just watched The Treasure Chest, I'll admit I was just going "okay, this is cute" until that last scream from Vidia ("YOU DON'T KNOW THAT, TINK!"). Okay, that got me laughing out loud.

Alpha bitches are hard to write and still keep enjoyable. I liked Moonstone in Thunderbolts (back when it was fresh and she wasn't a -complete- sociopath), I liked Cordelia, though that might have to do with the fact that Charisma Carpenter is so hot she made every other girl on the show look invisible when she was on screen (sorry, Ms. Gellar). Faith...not so much. Rarity on MLP can be this kind of character a lot, but they kind of mix it up considering she's also the embodiment of "generosity." But there are so many alpha bitches I've just never been able to stand. Emma Frost (a known -murderer-) is just too bitchy for me, driving her into the "why the hell would anybody want to be on a team with her?" territory for me.

Edit: Just watched "Rainbow's End." ...that might just rival Frozen for the "I really did not expect that much hip sway at that moment." Except they intentionally draw your eyes there in the short. Disney's weird.
Batgirl III wrote:Is it weird that I find Vidia incredibly hot? I can admit that here, right? This is a safe space.
Blitz wrote:I HOPE it's not weird...
Jabroniville wrote:LOL- considering I just spent like seven paragraphs describing her magnificence (and another comment about how we're married), it's cool . I wasn't as enamored with the character design at first, but when she started getting THAT ATTITUDE I was like "awwww YEAH- at least ONE of them's a mean girl". Grouchy chicks are hot.
Batgirl III wrote:She's Cordelia Chase with wings.
Jabroniville wrote:Yeah, somethin' about that imperious arrogance mixed with a cynic's displeasure in everyone else being friendly all the time... *sigh*...

Thank God they haven't gone too far in making her one of the gang by letting her be too friendly. It raises my ire a bit to see her engaging in- ugh- GROUP HUGS with the rest of the Fairies, and even that scene in The Pirate Fairy where she admits "I'm just THINKIN' LIKE A TINKER!" worried me, but some of her comments, her initial reaction to being a Tinker, and the animated shorts (which are often much funnier than the actual movies) are enough to make me satisfied that our royal Bitch Fairy is still intact.

It's hard to find that combination of negative traits in super-heroics. A lot of characters just turn into the "Angry Teammate" who runs off on their own and acts like a violent loner (the "Wolverine" thing), but the idea of it being the Snide Alpha Bitch thing just isn't seen that often. And it's too bad- it's a fun character type, and makes inter-team conflicts a LOT more fun. I can't even think of ONE off the top of my head- Dr. Light II, maybe? Stargirl's enemy Shiv was like that, but she was a Jobber's Jobber and a villainess.
Ares wrote:I think the problem with that personality type is . . . well, there's no justifiable reasons to be friends with that kind of a person. An alpha bitch is going to attract other bitchy people, along with friends who either reinforce her negative attributes, or who are with her for the status and popularity. While it does create interesting character dynamics, it also makes you question why you would hang around with someone who is nothing but a jerk to you. Unless they are friendly with you and its in a bit of a good-natured ribbing under the sarcasm. Because after a while, you just wonder why people would put up with such an obvious asshole.

Superhero teams can get away with it, since often those teams are brought together due to circumstances or a mission, but again, its a tightrope to walk when you have characters who want to do good, but who aren't always the nicest, friendliest and so on people. You can have people with poor people skills, big egos, are sarcastic, quick to judge, abrasive, and so on, but there needs to either be a core of good that all those faults are built around, or they need to have some kind of agenda of their own where being good is in their best interest.

I mean, Moonstone was tolerated on the Thunderbolts because she was useful, but no one really trusted her and she didn't have any real friends until Hawkeye came around. But the T-Bolts were pretty much stuck with her, and she with them because she saw them as a potential source of power and influence.

For a group of people who just do things together as friends, someone who is too overtly bitchy without having something to connect her with the group is not going to last long. You can't choose your family and can't always choose who you work with, but you do get to choose your friends.
Jabroniville wrote:Re: Why anyone would put up with Vidia.

I like to think that she & Tink are deeply in love, and thus it's just unresolved sexual tension keeping them on that arguing/friendly level . And why her occasional attitude is tolerated. There's lots of fan made YouTube videos to corroborate this .

Plus she's useful to the team. And JUST friendly enough to tolerate.
... I've never commissioned artwork of Tinker Bell/Vidia shipping. Shut up- I haven't.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Keep telling us that Jab.Do you still have that Beachfront property in Montana to sell? ;)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:07 am Keep telling us that Jab.Do you still have that Beachfront property in Montana to sell? ;)
You won't find any on Deviant Art. Or on... one of those OTHER sites.

PS, the D.Va Overwatch short is out, and this is what everyone on the internet has to say about it:

XD
Jabroniville

Movie 4

Post by Jabroniville »

OMG Spike and Gliss are so cute!

THE SECRET OF THE WINGS (2012):
-Pretty much advertised entirely around the idea that Tinker Bell's got a Retconned Sister (a baby's first laugh split into two Fairy Sparky Things, and one ended up in the Winter Woods), this one sends Tink over to the Winter side of things, where she meets her sister Periwinkle. We get a few OTHER Retcons (Winter & Warm Fairies cannot interact, despite there being several Winter Fairies in Pixie Hollow in the first movie), and it's established that warm wings will break permanently in cold, and cold wings will break in warmth (therefore it's forbidden for the two groups to go over the boundary). Naturally, Tink gets another new outfit, and meets Peri's friends (all of whom are oddly much more well-designed than Peri is)- the bland-but-handsome Sled, the hyperactive Cyclone-esque Gliss (played by AZULA of all people) and bored, somewhat Vidia-esque Spike (an Asian-looking chick).

HAHAHAHAAHAH- "Then Terence and I escaped from the Pirate Ship!" "Is he your boyfriend?" "UUHHHHHH..." *quick scene change*.

However, after a night of sisterly-bonding (Tink & Peri have to meet & bond so quickly- a Disney Movie/Broadway Play staple thanks to limited time both in-story and on-screen/stage- that the "connection" is pretty tricky, but I think they did pretty well with it), Tink is caught and banned from the Winter Woods, and we learn the REASON why it's forbidden- a pair of Star-Crossed Lovers met tragedy when one lost a wing. Lord Milori (coincidentally always flying around on an owl instead of by himself), played by Timothy Dalton, is portrayed as a bit of a rule-Nazi all enforcing said mean rules, but in a compassionate way.

Tink STILL disobeyes orders (I mean, it's TINKER BELL. Every movie is something about her breaking the rules. Chick just can't follow them), bringing Peri over to meet her friends after whipping up a FREAKING SNOW MACHINE out of Victorian Age technology! Okay it's a bicycle-powered cheese grater attached to a block of ice, but still- friggin' genius. It's just a lot of frolicking on both sides of the Winter Boundary, but Peri falters and they're caught AGAIN, and we find out Queen Clarion is the one who made the rule in the first place. She & Milori exchange sad looks and hopefully by this point even the dumb kids have figured it out- Milori knocks the snow machine into the river.

However, Milori's move turns out to be the WORST THING EVER, as it gets caught up next to a BIG block of ice, and for some reason this sets off a massive winter storm that threatens all of Pixie Hollow, and the Pixie Dust Tree! This is... a bit outlandish and weird (it's said that the snow "mixed up the seasons" and everything is encased in ice), but I guess the movie needed SOME kind of Hollow-threatening event to happen. Tink is naturally the one to figure out how to save everything (after noticing how Fairy Frost can keep plants alive even in the cold), and stuff is saved. The ending is so happy that we're even able to solve the problem of wing-breaking cold!

A nice little movie, though it seems oddly lacking in parts. Peri's friends are seen & characterized for maybe half a minute each, and most of Tink's Crew only get a handful of lines- Iridessa & Silvermist basically sit this one out, while Fawn gets to do some Animal stuff and Vidia gets to make a few snarky lines. Rosetta going all ga-ga over Sled is pretty funny (also notable is that she's like the only Fairy in the ENTIRE GROUP to feel romantically towards anybody, ever). Oddly, Vidia appears in the standard "everyone smiling/worried" group shots (making it look like the newly Face-Turned Bitch Fairy has turned 100% nice and kind), but is also there with the snark on a semi-frequent basis. I like the moment she arrives at the Healing Fairy's office and everyone shushes her, leading to a classic "WTF is your problem?" annoyed shrug while scowling at them.

Fun Fact: Jodi "Ariel" Benson plays the Healing Fairy- I had no idea at first, but you can kind of catch a glimmer of her voice there (usually when she goes a bit nasal in her friendler moments). Naturally it's changed a fair bit, seeing as how The Little Mermaid is TWENTY-FIVE YEARS OLD.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:55 am
Ares wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:59 am
A-are you sure you don’t want to throw something at me, disregard my opinions, call me an idiot... then tenderly hold me like you actually appreciate me deep-down? Because I... I wouldn’t mind that.
Jabroniville

Periwinkle

Post by Jabroniville »

PERIWINKLE (In the Human World)
Played by:
Lucy Hale
Role: Suddenly-Introduced Sibling, An Ice Person
Obvious Lesbian Relationship With: None (unless you like Twincest)
PL 6 (105)
STRENGTH
-4 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 6 (+9)
Athletics 8 (+4)
Expertise (Ice & Winter Stuff) 8 (+10)
Insight 1 (+3)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 0 (+3, +13 Size)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Fairy Physiology"
"Small Size" Shrinking 12 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [25]
(-3 Strength, -1 Speed, +6 Defenses, +12 Stealth, -6 Intimidation)

"She Can Fly!" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]

"Winter Talent Fairy"
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]
"Fairy Frost" Immunity 1 (Cold) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Affects Objects) [2]

"Ice Slick" Affliction 6 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2, Ranged, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) (Diminished Range -1) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-4 Damage, DC 11)
Ice Slick +6 Area (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness -2, Fortitude +2, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Winter Talent)- Peri's job is to put frost on things, and help plants last through... an eternal winter, apparently.
Power Loss (Wings)- Fairy Wings cannot flap when wet, resulting in grounded Fairies. They also need Pixie Dust to fly, and will run out after a certain amount of time. Winter Fairies' wings will break if kept in non-winter conditions for too long.
---
Relationship (Tinker Bell)- Peri is tickled to realize that she has a twin sister, born of the same laugh. She & Tink willfully break the rules by hanging out with each other and crossing borders.
Relationship (Gliss, Spike & Sled)

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 7 (105)

PERWINKLE (In the Fairy World)
Played by:
Lucy Hale
Role: Suddenly-Introduced Sibling, An Ice Person
Obvious Lesbian Relationship With: None (unless you like Twincest)
PL 6 (96)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 6 (+9)
Athletics 8 (+4)
Expertise (Ice & Winter Stuff) 8 (+10)
Insight 1 (+3)
Perception 2 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 0 (+3, +13 Size)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Fairy Physiology"
"She Can Fly!" Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [9]

"Winter Talent Fairy"
Immunity 1 (Cold) [1]
"Frost Covering" Immunity 1 (Cold) (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Affects Objects) [2]

"Ice Slick" Affliction 6 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Burst +1/2, Ranged, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) (Diminished Range -1) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Snare +4 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Winter Talent)- Peri's job is to put frost on things, and help plants last through... an eternal winter, apparently.
Power Loss (Wings)- Fairy Wings cannot flap when wet, resulting in grounded Fairies. They also need Pixie Dust to fly, and will run out after a certain amount of time. Winter Fairies' wings will break if kept in non-winter conditions for too long.
---
Relationship (Tinker Bell)- Peri is tickled to realize that she has a twin sister, born of the same laugh. She & Tink willfully break the rules by hanging out with each other and crossing borders.
Relationship (Gliss, Spike & Sled)

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 11 (96)

-Periwinkle is Tinker Bell's twin sister, born of the same laugh- the two become instant friends, have a ton of mutual interests (puffballs on their shoes, Chamomile Tea, finding human stuff, etc.). She's got a REALLY round face and a neat little outfit made of grey leaves, but I find her Supporting Cast (who we only see for a very short while) more interesting in attitude and appearance. Gliss is a hyperactive loon much like My Beloved Maxine Hunkel, and has a much nicer look than Peri. Spike is a bored, lazy Frost Fairy with cool dark hair, and Sled... well Sled's just there to be a dude for Rosetta to drool over. And there's a Glacier Fairy who acts like a giant stoner, but he only says a couple of things. She & Tink are desperate to hang out together, which inadvertently threatens all of Pixie Hollow when Tink's Ice Machine gets knocked into a BIG chunk of ice and sets off winter everywhere. Despite the HUGE amount of Merch targetted towards Peri (I still found stuff featuring her in Toys R Us stores as recently as here in 2018), she appeared for only a handful of seconds in the follow-up movie The Pirate Fairy, and wasn't there at all in Legend of the NeverBeast- she's effectively a One Movie Wonder, and never mattered again.

-Winter Fairies are seen to basically just fly around and make stuff Immune to the Cold by touching it and sending this frost over it, complete with an "air bubble" that seals in warmth. This of course makes NO sense, but it's a magical movie about Fairies so we let it slide. It's not really a Create (the Fairies actually have to FIND ice to give to Tink for her Snow Machine, and can't just make it), but I imagine they can actually make an Ice Slick because otherwise they're not much good for anything Power-wise. They just sorta make stuff prettier.

Winter Talents:
* Only seen a bit in the first film, but became important later with The Secret of the Wings. Others we've seen include Gliss, Spike, Sled, Slush, Qana, and the Minister of Winter- Snowflake. Lord Milori is apparently in charge over her, as she doesn't appear in the fourth film at all- I guess she's JUST in charge of the Seasons (it's odd, though- the other three Seasonal Ministers are in the movie).

Frost Talent (the big one- Periwinkle, Spike, Gliss & Lord Milori are all Frost Talents)
Glacier Talent (they make ice blocks and freeze the lakes & rivers)
Snowflake Talent
Winter Animal Talent (like Animal Talents, but for winter)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL- the winter-related Fairies shorts are amazeballs:

How to Have a Snowball Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zJ9Qbhz6RQ

-Rosetta's bawling, the rapid-fire snowball throwing from the Winter Fairies, and then Fawn's "Heroic Sacrifice" is amazing, but the sheer highlight is Fawn's "dead" face as she's being dragged away.

How to Build a Snowman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEVosWKG6qM

-This one just earns Frozen jokes nowadays, but Vidia's Nelson-ish "HAW-HAW!" followed by immediately getting splattered by a rolling snowball is the best.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Peter Pan! Tinker Bell! Capt. Hook! Disney Fairies!)

Post by M4C8 »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:05 am
M4C8 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:16 pm Lucy Liu is 49 years old :shock:
I'm 42 and i don't care... 8-)
That's what I'm saying, she looks amazing.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'