Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab's Builds! (Frollo! Hercules! Megara! Hades! The Titans! Circe!)

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:19 pm It's funny, because I've been working on just this one decade of Disney now for AGES- a real sign of just how much more "involved" their movies got. Every Renaissance film has a ton of major characters who deserve statting. Compare this to films of the '40s and '50s and it's night & day.
Just goes to show what time, money and expertise can do. I mean, early on, Disney animators were breaking new ground, everything was expensive, and no one really knew what they were doing. By the 90s they had a formula down pat, had a team of experts, and the film going audience was big enough that profits from these films allowed them to keep churning them out. It's like how we got Superhero movies once in a blue moon, and now Disney is releasing two or three Marvel movies a YEAR.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Speaking of, it's interesting how going chronologically works here. When I experimented with the idea for my Street Fighter builds, I noticed the problem with the SF III-IV generation, which featured a lot of HalloweenJack whining about wanting to see good characters again, and a lack of comments compared to the glut of big names in SF II :). The issue was so pronounced (a HUGE number of characters were introduced in the later years) that I resolved never to try it again.

However... with DISNEY, it tends to work more in waves. And, beneficially, the "down periods" actually produce fewer films, making it easier to blaze by (only 3 movies some decades), and pretty much everyone is familiar with even the worst of them. And by doing it the way I'm doing it, I feel there's a bigger "sense" for how Disney really works as a company, and the trends it follows (ie. "Three Phil Harris Movies", Renaissance, Failed-Renaissance, Late Renaissance, Horrible 3-D Period, New Renaissance). And so instead of having long dead periods, there's stretches of Renaissance-level goodness.

The biggest issue I'm afraid of is that dire period of the early 2000s when almost EVERYTHING was terrible. I think that's where I'll stick my two big re-posts regarding Disney's trends as a filmmaking company ("Disney & Outsiders" and "Great & Weak Moments").
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:53 am It's interesting what will and won't fly in China, as I personally think Mulan is a solid Disney film, possibly even in my top 10 (I've never really created a top 10 Disney films list). While I can understand being annoyed at them tweaking the film, Disney has been doing this since day one. I'd be willing to bet money it more closely resembles the original Mulan legend than, say, Jungle Book or Hercules do their source material.

And Jab's right about this being a positive feminist movie, because it doesn't treat Mulan as a Mary Sue and its not about making men look terrible. Mulan is initially a terrible soldier and has to work her ass off to achieve what she's capable of. The men are never really shown as useless, save for the shriveled old guy being voiced by David Lo Pan. The message isn't how women are better than men or how terrible men are, it's that a woman should be allowed the chance to compete in the arenas they want, and be given due credit if they put in the hard work and succeed on their own merit. It's especially relevant since it's a woman who wants to serve her country as a soldier, but again, has to work her ass off and prove that she is just as capable as the guys around her.

Fun Tidbit: As part of the promotion and play-testing for my own RPG system, I go to conventions and run games. One series of adventures was designed to be this big 4 part crossover called "The Toybox Wars". The idea was that the figures of the recent "Toys to Life" video games (video games that had collectible figures that interacted with the game itself) had been stored in a toybox, and within said toybox had created their own sort of merged universe where they all lived. The two main franchises were Disney Infinity (which included heroes from Disney Classic, Marvel Comics and Star Wars) and Lego Dimensions (which includes LEGO franchises, as well as things like DC Comics, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, etc.).

But then I had the Dad's old toys from the 80s get stored in the same toybox, and now the bad guy franchises were teaming up with the villains of the existing franchises and trying to take of the unique world of this place. Hence the Toybox Wars. You'd get things like the Decepticons working with the Empire from Star Wars, trying to dig up Unicron's head and attach it to the Death Star. Or Shredder and Cobra had taken over Central Park in New York and were attempting to combine Mutagen with the Jurassic Park dinosaur process to create these weird mutant hybrids.

The adventure I ran relevant to this was set in Asgard, where Skeletor's forces had helped Sauron conquer Asagard, with Sauron's head / helmet being mounted in place of the Destroyer Armor's head, allowing Sauronhim to possess it, the One Ring being worn around his wrist like a bracer, and his mace having become this polearm sledgehammer. The heroes had to find a way to sneak into Asgard, free as many of the captured Asgardians as possible, and try and retake the place.

The characters I'd generated for this game were classic Fantasy heroes, since this was the Fantasy Genre Crossover game. So I had folks like Thor, Wonder Woman, Capt. Marvel, Disney's Hercules, Mauii, Aragorn, and Mulan. Now, Mulan and Aragorn really shouldn't work in a game with this kind of power level, but I gave them a few buffs to help them out. I gave Aragorn Gandalf's Ring of Fire, so that he could cast a fire enchantment on his arrows (turning them into blast arrows) or his sword (making it basically a magical flaming lightsaber). With Mulan, I gave her a sword with some mystic buffs, but specifically had Gandalf loan her some fireworks that she could weaponize in interesting ways, everything from smoke bombs to fireworks that basically worked like magical rocket launchers.

I also gave her some martial arts techniques with names like "Swift as the Coursing River", "Force of a Great Typhoon", "Strength of a Raging Fire", and "Mysterious as the Dark Side of the Moon". Because of course I did. :mrgreen:

What really impressed me was that a dad brought his 11-12 year old kid to the table, and the dad picked Mauii to play. The kid, with folks like Thor and Hercules available, picked MULAN. And played her really effectively! If I remember right, they had this cool little father/son team-up finishing move where Mauii had hooked the Sauron Destroyer's head and tilted it back, and then Mulan fired her biggest rocket launcher style firework up into the underside of his chin, blowing his head off (the rest of the team had been specifically attacking Sauron Destroyer's neck to try and get the helmet off, weakening it), and leaving Sauron just a helmet again.

love it
Jabroniville

Ling

Post by Jabroniville »

LING
Played by:
Gedde Watanabe, Matthew Wilder (singing voice)
Role: Skinny Guy, Butt-Monkey
PL 6 (76)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+9)
Athletics 7 (+9)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Singing) 4 (+4)
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 3 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Equipment (Sword), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 7

Equipment:
"Sword" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical) (3)

Powers:
Features 1: Able to Re-Grow Teeth [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Chinese Soldier)
Relationship (The Bros)- Yao, Ling, Chien Po & "Ping" are close buddies. Even when her deception is revealed, her pals refuse to abandon her completely.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 10 (76)

-Ling is a Butt-Monkey who is frequently injured, and is a tall and skinny guy to contrast his shorter & fatter teammates. He looks a bit slimy and sneaky, but doesn't really do that much with that.

About the Performer: Gedde Watanabe is a born & raised American, though typically plays heavily-accented immigrants, like in Weird Al's classic UHF ("STUPID!!! YOU SO STUPID!!!"), or in Sixteen Candles. The actor says he was just trying to get a laugh, and took a long time to understand why other Asians would get so furious with him over behaving that way. He was also on Sesame Street as Hiroshi, a gay nurse on ER, and typically voices Asian characters on The Simpsons
Jabroniville

Yao

Post by Jabroniville »

YAO
Played by:
Harvey Firestein
Role: Ugly Guy, Gruff Guy
PL 6 (75)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 6 (+9)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Soldier) 8 (+8)
Expertise (Singing) 1 (+1)
Insight 2 (+2)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Sword), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 7

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +7 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (The Bros)- Yao, Ling, Chien Po & "Ping" are close buddies. Even when her deception is revealed, her pals refuse to abandon her completely.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (73)

-Yao is a gruff, ugly dude with a permanently-blackened eye voiced by the raspiest-voiced guy in all of Hollywood, the decidedly un-Asian Harvey Firestein. One of the first big openly-gay actors, with a voice that is equally ultra-masculine and VERY gay, Fierstein used to work as a drag queen, but one two Tonys in 1982 of the Torch Song Trilogy. He also wrote La Cage aux Folles, winning MORE Tonys, as well as modern productions like Newsies and Kinky Boots, making him not only a Broadway legend, but a multi-talented artist who is STILL DOING POPULAR STUFF, which is pretty crazy for a 30+ year career. His last acting Tony came for playing Edna in Hairspray (which always goes to a man in drag). His gravely voice comes from an overly-developed vestibular fold, giving him a "double voice".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Chien Po

Post by Jabroniville »

CHIEN PO
Played by:
Jerry Tondo
Role: Big Fat Guy, Buddha-Esque Guy
PL 6 (80)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 3 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+6)
Deception 1 (+4)
Expertise (Soldier) 7 (+8)
Expertise (Singing) 2 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment (Sword), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Ranged Attack 7

Equipment:

Powers:
Power-Lifting 1 (3,200 lbs.) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Sword +5 (+7 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 7 (80)

-Chien Po is freakishly strong (able to pick up a half-dozen guys, then pulling up a rope holding Mulan, Shang AND a horse), but a peaceful Buddha-type fat guy who is more philosophical. Over the course of a montage, he learns to swim and becomes a fighter like the others. His VA's list of credits is incredibly tiny, with Mulan being by far his biggest thing.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:14 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:53 am Fun Tidbit: As part of the promotion and play-testing for my own RPG system, I go to conventions and run games. One series of adventures was designed to be this big 4 part crossover called "The Toybox Wars". The idea was that the figures of the recent "Toys to Life" video games (video games that had collectible figures that interacted with the game itself) had been stored in a toybox, and within said toybox had created their own sort of merged universe where they all lived. The two main franchises were Disney Infinity (which included heroes from Disney Classic, Marvel Comics and Star Wars) and Lego Dimensions (which includes LEGO franchises, as well as things like DC Comics, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters, etc.).

But then I had the Dad's old toys from the 80s get stored in the same toybox, and now the bad guy franchises were teaming up with the villains of the existing franchises and trying to take of the unique world of this place. Hence the Toybox Wars. You'd get things like the Decepticons working with the Empire from Star Wars, trying to dig up Unicron's head and attach it to the Death Star. Or Shredder and Cobra had taken over Central Park in New York and were attempting to combine Mutagen with the Jurassic Park dinosaur process to create these weird mutant hybrids.

The adventure I ran relevant to this was set in Asgard, where Skeletor's forces had helped Sauron conquer Asagard, with Sauron's head / helmet being mounted in place of the Destroyer Armor's head, allowing Sauronhim to possess it, the One Ring being worn around his wrist like a bracer, and his mace having become this polearm sledgehammer. The heroes had to find a way to sneak into Asgard, free as many of the captured Asgardians as possible, and try and retake the place.

The characters I'd generated for this game were classic Fantasy heroes, since this was the Fantasy Genre Crossover game. So I had folks like Thor, Wonder Woman, Capt. Marvel, Disney's Hercules, Mauii, Aragorn, and Mulan. Now, Mulan and Aragorn really shouldn't work in a game with this kind of power level, but I gave them a few buffs to help them out. I gave Aragorn Gandalf's Ring of Fire, so that he could cast a fire enchantment on his arrows (turning them into blast arrows) or his sword (making it basically a magical flaming lightsaber). With Mulan, I gave her a sword with some mystic buffs, but specifically had Gandalf loan her some fireworks that she could weaponize in interesting ways, everything from smoke bombs to fireworks that basically worked like magical rocket launchers.

I also gave her some martial arts techniques with names like "Swift as the Coursing River", "Force of a Great Typhoon", "Strength of a Raging Fire", and "Mysterious as the Dark Side of the Moon". Because of course I did. :mrgreen:

What really impressed me was that a dad brought his 11-12 year old kid to the table, and the dad picked Mauii to play. The kid, with folks like Thor and Hercules available, picked MULAN. And played her really effectively! If I remember right, they had this cool little father/son team-up finishing move where Mauii had hooked the Sauron Destroyer's head and tilted it back, and then Mulan fired her biggest rocket launcher style firework up into the underside of his chin, blowing his head off (the rest of the team had been specifically attacking Sauron Destroyer's neck to try and get the helmet off, weakening it), and leaving Sauron just a helmet again.

love it
It was a really fun scenario, something I thought might appeal to old and new players. There was this awesome bit where the players were sneaking in through the front gate disguised as orcs, and Mauii used his "elaborate storytelling song and dance" ability to keep the guards entranced while everyone just walked on in.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Hmmm, got the sidekicks out of the way . . . . uh oh, my heterosexuality feels threatened. I think Chinese Hanzo is on his way.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sad thing with a story set in China is that I can never remember anyone’s names :). I’m all “I forget the names of every sidekick, even after seeing the sequel recently”, and the make less and the villain have very similar names. It makes pre-planning the whole set annoying.
Jabroniville

Captain Shang

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

... I’m not in love with Shang.

CAPTAIN LI SHANG
Played by:
B.D. Wong, Donny Osmond (singing voice)
Role: Bad-Ass General, Drill Sergeant Nasty (positive version), Mister Fanservice (growrrrI MEAN NO I AM NOT ATTRACTED AT ALL)
PL 8 (128)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Expertise (Soldier) 10 (+12)
Expertise (Trainer) 10 (+12)
Expertise (Singing) 12 (+15)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5, +7 Attractive)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Attractive, Benefit 2 (General's Son, Ambidextrous), Equipment (Sword), Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Minion 4 (Horse), Ranged Attack 9, Teamwork

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (The General)- Li Shang is respectful of his father the General, and is greatly upset by his death.
Responsibility (Soldiers)- Though the men are initially horribly bad at soldiering (especially Ping), through his constant supervision and instruction they turn into adequate fighters.
Relationship (Mulan)- As the Emperor himself says, "You don't meet a girl like that every DYNASTY!"

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 26 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (128)

-Shang starts off as a put-upon soldier being expected by his high-end General father to train the new recruits (a big responsibility for one so young). He comes across as a bit of a strict disciplinarian, immediately browbeating the crappiest recruits and singing THE GREATEST SONG IN HISTORY about how sucky they are and how they have to be men and be stronger. Of course, that's what a trainer is SUPPOSED to be like- tough and mean, but not without a heart. While he's able to tell that "Ping" sucks at training, he is HAPPY to see himself proven wrong, and manages to turn the ugliest bunch of poor excuses for men in all of China into an elite fighting force capable of storming The Forbidden City's castle and whupping on some Huns. All while maintaining a glorious physique (the animators joke that all the women were whistling when they created him... perhaps forgetting all the times I've heard animators perv out on commentary regarding the Disney Dames :)) and awesome singing voice.

-Peculiarly, despite the fact that B.D. Wong is a Broadway-trained actor (I've statted a character of his before, too- Father Mukada on HBO's "OZ") And by the way, did you know that Donny Osmond is the GREATEST PERSON EVER? Because I sure didn't until I found out he sung this- now THAT is how a General should talk down to his troops. It's the manliest, beefiest song in Disney history, beating even "Gaston" in overall chest-hair-growingness.

-In addition to being a great singer and overall very dreamy, Captain Shang is a great trainer, fighter and soldier. He's the best overall out of his crew (it makes sense that he'd be at least one level higher than his best recruit- Ping/Mulan), and showed a great deal of awesome feats during the Training Montage, such as deflecting dozens of thrown rocks, running with weights, extreme accuracy with a bow & arrow, and more. But his greatest achievement is undoubtedly turning the hydrophobic Chien-Po, acerbic Yao, scrawny Ling and teenage girl Mulan into GREAT SOLDIERS all during the course of one song (never underestimate the power of a Montage).

-Shang's training techniques are actually legit, too- instructors punish EVERYONE, not just the troublemakers, lest the troublemakers just earn sympathy instead of disgust. Smart-mouths also get singled out for humiliation to show others that they are wrong and not to be befriended. These are, of course, used by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in "Full Metal Jacket", but to less... spectacular results.

About the Performer: Shang's speaking voice is provided by B.D. Wong, who is most known for playing Father Mukada on HBO's Oz, though Jurassic Park fans might recognize him as the head geneticist. Curiously, despite being a Broadway-trained actor, who can sing rather well, they went with Donny Osmond for his one song- Be A Man. Osmond, of course, is a world-famous icon of the '70s- he and his smiling, bright-toothed Mormon family did a whole ton of musical numbers in that decade, with he and his sister Marie acting as a big duo. Very iconic to that decade (to the point where he's seen as an instantly-dated reference, and a bit of a dork), he mostly banked on the nostalgia after it, though is fairly respected as a singer. I actually saw him in Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat when I was a kid, but I of course had no idea who the hell he was back then. He's been seen as an unhip, SUPER-white nerd since frickin' 1979 at least (his publicist once suggested getting arrested for drug possession to shore up his image), which made him perfect as the backdrop in Weird Al's White & Nerdy video ("he was the whitest guy we could think of").
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Megara! Hades! The Titans! Circe! Mulan! Shang!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Hm, I'm surprised only one person weighed in on Mortal Kombat or Mario as far as "My Next Project" goes.

There's a handful of other things I was thinking of getting to. DC's Teen Titans were somewhat close to the end of the original ATT. A few kids shows and toylines, as well (Visionaries, He-Man, She-Ra). DC's Animated Universe was also a heck of a long time ago (and way, way back, may have been my most popular set ever). I don't have much new to add to those things, though I guess the Titans would involve a lot of more recently-introduced characters that I'm unfamiliar with and dread having to build (ugh I'll have to decide on a PL for Cassie Sandsmark). But I kinda wanted to wait to do that for when/if Batgirl makes a return here... but then, I said that about Disney Builds, and she left right before those started, lol :).
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

2 things: 1) because of you and your Goram Disney builds,i now have a mental image in my head of Gaston and General Shang having a 'Manliest of Men' fight.So thanks for that EVER SO MUCH. :P

2) if i was you,i'd go with the nice palate cleanser that is He-Man/She-Ra(Their technically in the same Universe with a suprising amount of overlap), just to get rid of all that Disney Sugar...:D
CaptainKaulu

Post by CaptainKaulu »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:53 am Hm, I'm surprised only one person weighed in on Mortal Kombat or Mario as far as "My Next Project" goes.
I'd be more interested to see Mario.
Jabroniville

Shan Yu

Post by Jabroniville »

Imperial Scout: The Emperor will stop you.
Shan-Yu: Stop me? He invited me. [clutching the scout and holding him aloft]
By building his wall he challenged my strength. Well, I'm here to play his game.

SHAN YU, LEADER OF THE HUN ARMY
Played by:
Miguel Ferrer
Role: Bad-Ass General, Elite Tracker, Menacing Villain
PL 9 (128)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 9 (+14)
Expertise (General) 12 (+13)
Expertise (Survival) 9 (+12)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 9 (+12)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit 4 (General of the Huns), Chokehold, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Equipment (Sword), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Sword, Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Trip, Last Stand, Leadership, Minion 4 (Falcon), Power Attack, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 8, Startle, Tracking

Equipment:

Powers:
"Crazy Freaking Strong" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Sword +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Strength)- By building his wall, The Emperor challenged Shan Yu's strength. He seeks nothing more than the destruction of China, the death of the emperor, and proof of his own might. To this end, he refuses to back down from General Li's entire army- challenging it head-on instead of skipping past them (which would have been easy).

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 37 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 13 (128)

-Shan Yu was something unique amongst Disney Villains- where the lot of them tend to be easily-angered Giant Hams who freak out, sing songs and act as feminine as humanly possible (especially if they're men), Shan Yu is a sly, smirking bad-ass of few words. He doesn't yell until he's WELL and truly PO'd, and he's much more likely to be sinister and menacing. And MAN was he bad-ass- his big hunched back, giant muscles and crazy browline with yellowy eyes cuts an impressive figure, making him a bit more frightening than your usual Cackling Villain. And he's more of an Evil General archetype, challenging The Emperor almost for the sake of destruction and his own ego ("by building his wall, he challenged my strength")- he deliberately warns all of China of his advance, then meets the General's army directly instead of avoiding them (which would have been easy to accomplish given the Sherlock Scan he and his men do of the doll from the village).

-Shan Yu is the most powerful person in the Mulan story- he effortlessly beats the hell out of Captain Shang, and is only stopped when Mulan tricks him into meeting her on the rooftop of the palace. She's able to disarm him, but he still has two PLs on her, and would win a drawn-out fight more likely than not. This is a guy who survived an AVALANCHE, and led a Hun army to wipe out the entire Chinese forces. And holy COW is he strong- at one point, he punches through a barred door, and can shatter COLUMNS with his fists! He's arguably the single strongest "human" character in all the Disney Animated Canon, capable of feats that even GASTON couldn't match! He's only undone by trickery and fireworks.

About the Performer: One of the few Non-Asians in the primary cast, Miguel Ferrer is latino, and got his start in the 1980s, usually in bit parts, but featured as a coke-snorting executive in RoboCop. He was notably in three simultaneous TV shows at once in the early '90s, as well as The Weatherman in the failed Justice League of America pilot. His friend Peter David named Spider-Man 2099 after him, apparently. A lifelong chain-smoker, Ferrer died in 2017 of throat cancer.

THE HUNS
Played by:
Various
Role: Elite Mooks
PL 6 (78)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+9)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+7)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 6 (+7)
Investigation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Diehard, Equipment (Sword), Fearless, Great Endurance, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Tracking

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Sword +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +2

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 6 (78)

-Shan Yu's elite Huns are given a lot of bad-ass appeal at first, being all huge and good at tracking, but are quickly done away with once it's one-on-one with them and the Heroes in the Emperor's Palace. They're fooled by the Concubine disguises of Ling, Yao & Chien-Po, and each gets one-shotted. A couple are weaker and more accurate, packing Bows (Blast 4). At PL 6, they're just enough to challenge the heroes, but if you use Minion Rules, they'll fall pretty quickly.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Captain Shang

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:48 am ImageImage

... I’m not in love with Shang.

As Crow T. Robot from MST3K once put it: "His body makes me feel funny." :mrgreen:

Though one cute bit in Mulan was how Shang is basically in complete control of himself throughout the entire film . . . until he goes to Mulan's place to return her dad's helmet and ask her out on a date. Then suddenly he's the nervous, bumbling one, showing a down to Earth side to him.