Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Louis

Post by Jabroniville »

LOUIS
Played by:
Michael-Leon Wooley
Role: Animal Sidekick, Giant Coward
PL 7 (75)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Expertise (Trumpet Player) 11 (+10)
Intimidation 8 (+7, +9 Size)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Water), Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [2]
"Sensory Pits" Senses 3 (Accurate Ranged Touch) [3]
"Natural Weapons (Bite)" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach) [3]
"Thick Skin" Protection 2 [2]

"Water-Based Creature"
Swimming 5 (8mph) [5]
Immunity 1 (Drowning) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [0.5]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Underwater) [2]
Enhanced Skills 8: Stealth 12 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Water) [3]

"Natural Size" Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Bite +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
In Water +6/+8 (+6-8 Damage, DC 21-23)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (+5 in Water, DC 13-15), Parry +4 (+6 in Water, DC 14-16), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Crocodilians cannot speak to humans, nor use their claws to easily manipulate objects. But he can still play a mean trumpet.
Weakness (Cold-Blooded)- Reptiles are cold-blooded- that is, their bodies are the same temperature as the air around them. As such, they are slow & sluggish in cold temperatures, and will die quickly if left in winter-like conditions. They must warm up before they are any good.
Motivation (Becoming a Famous Trumpet Player)- Despite his scary facade, Louis wants to become a trumpet player who is famous world-wide.
Responsibility (Coward/Wuss)- Despite his thick hide, Louis is a fraidy-cat, and whines at even the slightest hint of pain.

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 29--14.5 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 29.5 / Defenses: 11 (75)

-Louis is your everyday Comedic Relief Sidekick Character, being a giant wuss despite his tremendous size. And he has the weird backstory of being a gator who just wants to play music, but finds himself chasing away all his potential listeners. He pretty much joins our Adventuring Party the way many parties do in the media, gathering members slowly until they all go Off To See The Wizard (in this case, a good Voodoo Witch). His performer is a frequent Broadway actor who shows up in a lot of "Black Plays", as well as supporting roles in other things (such as Audrey II, naturally). He's also big in advertising, and played both Darkseid & Kalibak on Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
Jabroniville

Lottie

Post by Jabroniville »

CHARLOTTE LA BOUFF
Played by:
Jennifer Cody
Role: Spoiled Girl, Insane Friend
PL 0 (12), PL 1 (12) Defenses
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Expertise (Current Events) 4 (+4)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Unarmed + 0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +2

Complications:
Relationship (Tiana)- Lottie is very close to her best friend Tiana, having known each other since childhood. She will freely give up her own happiness for her friend's.
Responsibility (Spoiled)- Lottie has never wanted for anything, and so she has become an exciteable

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 2 (12)

-Charlotte is AMAZING fun in this movie, and basically effortlessly steals every scene she's in, so it's a tragedy we don't see more of her. She doesn't even find anyone in the end! A fairly odd means to an end, Charlotte is Tiana's best friend from childhood, since Tiana's mother worked for Charlotte's wealthy dad. Charlotte, while ludicrously spoiled and flighty, is actually very friendly and generous, helping out Tiana whenever she can. She also desires to become a Princess, which of course sets some of the plot in motion, as Dr. Facilier's spell can only gain power with a kiss from a Princess, which she will technically become when her father is named King of Mardi Gras, and needs to be bestowed upon a man she loves (or a man disguised as him... it's a complicated scenario).

-But really, the character is just a blast. The Nostalgia Critic just ADORED her, and her manic, insane energy is a total hoot. The animators go all-out in giving her all the "Funny Character Stuff" they can't give stuffy Tiana, so she gets all these rapid-fire movements that look so funny, even frame-to-frame, like when she quickly puts a "beauty mark" on her face, or repeatedly tells Big Daddy to tell Tiana the news... before simply interrupting him and blurting it all out herself. And of course, the infamous "push her boobs up to her neck" scene ("BAAAAACK into the fray!").

About the Performer: I've never heard of Jennifer Cody, but she actually won the Annie Award for Oustanding Voice Acting in a Feature (beating Tiana's VA!). She's primarily in Broadway-type stuff, usually as replacements or in stuff off of the main drag.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Enchanted! Giselle! Narissa! Bolt! Princess and the Frog!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Things I notice as I'm officially at the last decade of the "Disney Builds":

* The "About the Performer" bits are a lot more boring for me. Mostly because the actors are either super-famous and everyone knows them, or they're REALLY major nobodies without as much "He was THAT guy?" factor. Like... reading about old-timey actors like Peter Ustinov, or the backstory behind all the Phil Harris roles, is interesting to me. It's stuff I know NOTHING about. And you can make links that you'd never made before (Jack Skellington and Prince Humperdink were the same guy?), or note things like the "Disney Reward Casting" where guys get continually better roles as a reward for good past work (something you only see a bit of now, with Idina Menzel and some of the cast of Tangled: The Series.

But... doing a bio for a famous MODERN actor? Kinda boring. Though it might get people more fight-y if it's a name they recognize and want to defend, I guess. But a lot of these actors are REALLY minor, too- Prince Hans, Mother Gothel and others are voiced by pretty unknowns who are mainly "A guy on Broadway", even if they ARE super-respected in that genre. It also hurts that many of them haven't made a career out of being their character just quite yet, the way Ariel, Belle and others did. They're still IN their careers.

* The Pre and Post-Pixar Merger movies are basically night and day. The movies are ENORMOUSLY better, with zero stinkers coming out after a point. The "Cult of Fear" actually not only explains why DISNEY was so bad, but why so many MOVIES are bad, period. Ever see a piece of shit, and go "Why did nobody say anything about THAT??". It's EXACTLY THAT- someone was too afraid to say "no" to a powerful guy at the studio. Surrounding oneself with "Yes Men" is a perfect way to create garbage, and in Hollywood, nobody wants to rock the boat and be the guy who says "no". Hell, it's probably why Disney churns out garbage like The Lone Ranger, too- get the wrong guy in charge, and enough people to not want to stick their necks out lest they get in trouble... and you get The Lone Ranger. Or John Carter.

And I mean... look at some of the movies in that early 2000s era. Creatively, they just seem to be MESSES. Musker & Clemens were amazing directors, but Treasure Planet just seems like a troubled production from the get-go- I think those guys just needed more direction themselves, ironically enough. Home on the Range was practically invented because THEY DIDN'T WANT TO WASTE THE WORK THEY'D ALREADY DONE. Can you imagine releasing a multi-million dollar movie for that reason?

* The "CGI Boom" irreparably altered an art style forever. PIXAR making bajillions with their movies didn't matter as much, because people associated them with quality. But when DREAMWORKS and FOX started doing it? It became too much to ignore- children seem to enjoy 3D a lot more than 2D in general, and 3D thus became the "take your brats to this and they won't hate it" thing to do, allowing some REALLY awful movies to hit $500 million+ worldwide. And when "3D = $$$" became an ironclad trope (very, VERY rarely averted), it basically tied Disney's hands.

It's funny watching the fortunes of Disney's rivals wax and wane at the same time, however. Fox Studios never really had a proper identity in the first place. DreamWorks DID... but that irreverent Shrek style went out of fashion, as did its Madagascar random humor. Now with the "Pixar Effect", you kinda gotta have EMOTION behind things, too. It's probably why How To Train Your Dragon was so dramatic, as well as other productions.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Whew. Finally caught up. Unfortunately, this truly marathon set holds very little appeal to me. On MK vs. Mario, I definitely vote MK. Not only will I always choose fighting games, I think Mario is stupid.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Dr. Facilier

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

DOCTOR FACILIER
Played by:
Keith David
Role: Witch Doctor, Big Bad
Most Villainous Moment: Killed a Firefly voiced by Jim Cummings
PL 7 (126)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Voodoo Hoodoo) 10 (+12)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Singing & Dancing) 8 (+12)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+9)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Artificer, Benefit 4 (Friends On The Other Side), Chokehold, Equipment 2 (Cane +2, Voodoo/Magic Gear), Fast Grab, Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack, Ritualist, Startle

Powers:
"Shadow Man"
"Grab Shadows"
Reach 2 [2]
Enhanced Advantages 4: Close Combat 4 (Flaws: Limited to Grab, Trip & Disarm Attempts) [2]

"Voodoo Hoodoo" Illusion 7 (Visuals & Hearing) (21) -- [23]
  • AE: "Living Shadow" Summon 5 (Extras: Active) (Flaws: Cannot Leave Proximity of Body) (10)
  • AE: "Everything You Ever Wanted" Mind-Reading 6 Linked to Senses 4 (Postcognition) (Flaws: Limited to One Individual's General Past) (Quirks: Voodoo Hoodoo Skill Check Required -2) (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Cane +6 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Shadow Grab +10 (+1 to Trip, Disarm, etc., DC 16)
Mind-Reading -- (+6 Mind-Reading, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +1, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Money & Power)- A charlatan & fraudster, Dr. Facilier seeks to con others out of their fortunes, and gain incredible power for himself.
Responsibility (Friends on the Other Side)- Though his Friends give him great benefits (access to magical weapons and the like), there is a price- he has promised them all the souls in New Orleans in exchange for personal power, and as he gets further into debt, his desperation grows. The "oh SHIT" look on his face when they come "BUM-BUM-BUM-BUM"-ing back into play when his plan is undone lets you know all you need to know.
Power Loss (Shadow Stuff)- Bright lights would conceivably ruin Facilier's ability to get his Shadow to do things, and also do his "Grab Shadows" stuff.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 7 (126)

-Doctor Facilier was great, as all characters played by Keith David are- he had style, panache and was a great manipulator, willing to cut deals like many a Disney sorcerer does- his voodoo kick and freaky "Friends on the Other Side" sealed the deal and made him quite cool. The only problem he had was lack of screen-time and interaction with the main heroes- he seemed to take a backseat to the plot quite early, and despite some great manipulative attempts at messing with Tiana (promising her all she ever wanted to gain her assistance in his soul-gathering), he was quite inefficient at what he did. I mean, his entire plan rested on a big fat butler guy who wasn't terribly competent (and was disguised as Prince Naveen with a Device that had a time-limit), and he was undone by frog mucous and a firefly. Granted, he IS one of the few Disney Villains EVER to kill a protagonist ("I'm comin', Evangeline!"), even if it was a bug.

-Even his Villain Song coulda been bigger- I mean, it was GREAT and creepy, but he spent most of it doing Plot Exposition and sing-talking, when we KNOW David has an awesome basso-profundo voice just MADE for awesome Hammy Villainy. The parts of the song where he DOES let it all hang out are fantastic, and should have been a bigger part of it. Easily the most-memorable song of the entire film (which is quite weak on good music in my opinion).

-Dr. Facilier is a prime example of a Magic Villain done right- he doesn't have Variable Power or get to pull out every effect known to man- he's a trickster and a con-man most of all, and requires the use of Artificed-devices and favours to Friends on The Other Side to get things done. All of his powers tend to require casting and people willingly making deals (he promises Prince Naveen "you'll have green" and turns him into a frog), and he's undone by various loopholes. He's got some unique powers to him, like a supernatural past-reading (okay this could be part of his Voodoo Skill, but it's fun to just stat out stuff like how he realized what Tiana's motivation and past with her father was), a Shadow that moves around and does stuff (generally tripping people and pulling out chairs for him), illusory stuff, and the ability to grab and disarm via grabbing at people's shadows (how he grabbed the Plot Device from Tiana- he snatched it's dangling chain's SHADOW). This last power requires some trickery, sort of allowing him a "Reach" (since shadows can be cast for a good ways) and some extended accuracy (it's harder to dodge when it's your SHADOW being attacked and not you). A lot of the rest (summoning Shadow Minions effectively like his Shadow Man) come from his Benefit and GMing Plot Devices into things, and all come at a cost to the guy.

About the Performer: Keith David is a huge "Hey, it's that voice!" guy, appearing in TONS of things all over the place, in disparate sources such as video games (he's The Arbiter in Halo), documentaries (he's done countless PBS docs, like the great Unforgiveable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson and one all about Jazz, which I watched even though I DON'T LIKE THAT GENRE), cartoons and more. He went to the highly-respected Juilliard (along with a few other noted Disney alums, like Robin Williams), and got his movie start in things like Platoon, The Thing and They Live. Though he was in popular stuff, he was a bit player in places other than cartoons, where he lent his heterosexuality-draining baritone pipes to the voice of Goliath in Disney's Gargoyles.

SHADOW MAN
Role:
Summoned Minion
PL 4 (71)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 5 (+5)
Sleight of Hand 5 (+8)
Stealth 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Trip, Move-By Action, Startle

Powers:
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1, Fortitude --, Will +0

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 31 / Defenses: 2 (71)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Ah, Faciler one of the best parts of the movie. I would say you can probably combine his Expertise Criminal and performance into a single expertise. Less for points saving and more for flavor, to show he often does both. Maybe even base it on presence. It could also be an explanation for the glaring flaws in his criminal plans as he's less an expert through knowledge then he is through charm. Expertise: Con Man, Expertise: "Music Man", Expertise: Vaudeville, something like that.
Jabroniville

Tangled

Post by Jabroniville »

TANGLED (2010):
Written by:
The Brothers Grimm (original fairy tale), Dan Fogelman

This took eons to get finished, and was the 50th Official Disney Animated Canon movie (there's an official list that randomly decides which ones not to count). I think the most interesting thing about it was the promotion- though this is your Typical Disney Fairy Tale Princess Movie in most respects, they did an utterly brilliant thing in the advertising- after the semi-disappointment of The Princess and the Frog, and the continuous success of CGI movies, especially DreamWorks' stuff, they basically copied the Dreamworks style 100% in the trailesr! Note the initial early covers, where Rapunzel & Flynn are doing the "DreamWorks Face" (ie. infamously, almost every single DreamWorks CGI film uses the same "smirking face with a raise eyebrow" to denote the characters being shrewd, sarcastic types that will thus appeal to children who like that kind of humor... though to be fair, both Disney & Pixar use the face frequently as well- even ELSA makes it in the Frozen ads!).

In the most bullshit, misleading trailer of all time, we're led to believe that Rapunzel is in fact a bad-ass fighter who is ready to kick the snot out of Flynn Rider at a moment's notice, throwing him out of the tower and beating the bejeezus out of him when he tries to hit on her. BRILLIANT stuff that made kids salivate. The trick? THE MOVIE IS NOTHING LIKE THAT- Rapunzel is a goody-goody nervous worry-wart who is completely naiive to the ways of the world. Disney FAKED OUT CHILDREN to go an see this by promoting it as a different kind of movie!! And they'd do the same damn thing later, promoting Frozen as either a "Snowman/Reindeer Hijinks Movie" or "Anna in an Adventure Against Her Sister".

Tangled is definitely a fun movie, though, but it doesn't pick up until halfway through. Through most of the first part I was like "THIS is the highly-touted super-awesome film I was promised?", as except for the part with the bar patrons singing about their dreams (most humor is drawn from subverting your expectations- and a bunch of burly men singing about their feminine hobbies suits that quite nicely), it was feeling pretty generic. But seeing The Awesomest Horse Ever, a bit of an authentic love story (instead of "they meet and fall in love immediately"), and a villainess that inspires more thoughts of the mundane villainy of Cruella de Vil & Gaston instead of the glorious Cosmic Magic Menaces of Ursula & Maleficent, I changed my mind. It got quite good by the end.

The CGI is beyond gorgeous, though I still prefer traditional animation- characters just look so artificial and inhuman in the more "realistic" 3-D medium. Compare how much character and energy they have in The Art of Tangled book with the gesture drawings and pictures of her hair. Her hair looks GREAT in hand-drawn form, but is basically a bunch of golden strands in CGI- the technical requirements are more impressive than the actual art. CGI effectively robs characters of much of their energy and life, and prevents good drawings or scenery by instead just flashing a ton of stuff on the screen all rapid-fire. Pixar tends to avoid such problems by focusing on story and sincere plots, but MAN could this movie have been done better in a traditional form!

Rapunzel is barefoot so much that it's no surprise why Quentin Tarantino called it one of the best of it's year :). I liked her design (though she looked more kiddie and young than younger heroines like Ariel & Aurora), especially when she got the cute short haircut later (and I'm not a guy who normally prefers short hair). Mother Gothel was quite well-designed (ie. haaaaawwwwwwwwt) and snarly. I can't call it one of the greats, especially since the songs are forgettable and the acting isn't terrific, but it's still a solid addition to the canon.

Making CGI movies is like a license to print money, thanks to a combo of funny DreamWorks stuff and excellent Pixar stuff, as well as being the new "take your kids to the movies to shut them up" thing that makes even crap like Madagascar make millions, especially when compared to the cost of traditional stuff (CGI requires more overall staff to run the technical end of it, but traditional animation is WAYYYYYYYY harder to actually make a reality). And so, I can hardly BLAME Disney for going this route, but still- it's stuff like this that got The Snow Queen turned into a CGI movie called Frozen instead of being a brilliantly-animated Traditional Animation film.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
-The movie was a very big hit, and is super-famous, generally considered with the start of a "New Renaissance", making almost $600 million worldwide. That's more than TWICE what The Princess and the Frog made, so you can thank this one for basically putting the nail in 2-D animation forever (and for Disney never putting the word "Princess" in a title again). Rapunzel was pretty instantly made an Official Disney Princess, at which point she became a permanent Meet & Greet Character in the Parks, and a part of many Parade floats (one of which features Flynn and Maximus riding a huge swing- Maximus is a statue, but Flynn is a Face Character). Though much ado was made of a big Disney World renovation- the addition of a tiny version of Rapunzel's tower in the "distance" (ie. it's small, but looks far away, sort of)... by the toilets.

I See The Light became a very popular song, and is really the only quoted one in the whole thing. But ultimately, the songs were considered unimpressive, and part of why Frozen is more popular (the two movies actually have competing fanbases, which is a bit absurd given how similar the two are- it seemingly centers around Tangled fans being upset by the Frozen craze and how much bigger that movie got, despite Tangled ALSO being a huge hit). Flynn Rider became a LEGENDARY "Disney Hottie", with girls fawning over him. Rapunzel herself was considered highly likeable and cute, and was more or less copied in order to make Anna in Frozen, setting a new kind of template. She's just a really lovable goofball. Pascale, her Animal Sidekick, is a very popular toy, even to this day.

The film famously got a Sequel TV Series called Tanged: The Series, which controversially got a whole new art style, which took a while to grow on some people. Honestly, though, it's the most beautiful cartoon on the air right now, with some spectacular animation and character bits. Tangled fans are in the air over it, though- it's thematically quite a lot different from the movie, and features a lot of new characters. Rapunzel's parents are now major characters, she has a snarky best friend in Cassandra, and Flynn (now always called "Eugene") is just a huge butt-monkey. And of course, "Raps" gains her famous hair back in like two seconds, dropping the cute brown "bob" haircut, and not merging with the later "Rapunzel's Wedding" short Disney made (I guess she could lose it afterwards). It also seems to want to beat down Rapunzel constantly, meaning her character has turned out a lot more grim and introspective than the happy-go-lucky girl from the movie. People, however, definitely seem to like it, especially as the huge year-long arc with Varian the Alchemist came to a close. Currently, there's a new "Quest", regarding a scroll, sending Rapunzel and some of her supporting cast off to discover the secret of some mysterious "Black Rocks" that are linked to her.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

drkrash wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:51 pm Whew. Finally caught up. Unfortunately, this truly marathon set holds very little appeal to me. On MK vs. Mario, I definitely vote MK. Not only will I always choose fighting games, I think Mario is stupid.
Lol, well at least you’re caught up! Nothing like 3 months of stuff that doesn’t appeal to you to help with catching up to things :).

That’s always a fear of mine with big projects. Three months of Video Game Builds was also too bad for those who aren’t into that sort of thing. So I get it. Only about two weeks more for you, then :).

Mortal Kombat will probably be the next “big set”, starting probably in December. That will at least set things up for when I do away of the Warrior and other knock offs.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Tangled

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:05 am
In the most bullshit, misleading trailer of all time,
There are a couple of films that were even worse, I believe, like Kangaroo Jack and Snow Dogs. But few people watched those.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:48 am
There are a couple of films that were even worse, I believe, like Kangaroo Jack and Snow Dogs. But few people watched those.
How were those misleading? Like most, I never saw those movies.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:00 am
Ares wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:48 am
How were those misleading? Like most, I never saw those movies.
Both movies were advertised basically as these kind of "wacky comedies with talking animal" movies, with Kangaroo Jack being about these two bumbling guys in the desert trying to get back something this weird talking Kangaroo had stolen from them, while Snow Dogs was going to be about these dogs who can talk amongst themselves helping this guy make some kind of delivery in a harsh environment. In both films, the bits where the animals talked were essentially brief hallucinations that lasted less than 5 minutes. The Kangaroo is barely even in the movie.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Rapunzel

Post by Jabroniville »

SOMEone’s ten shades of cute, I see.

RAPUNZEL
Played by:
Mandy Moore
Role: Precocious Innocent, Disney Princess
PL 3 (77)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+4)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 6 (+9)
Expertise (Cooking) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Housekeeping) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Singing) 6 (+9)
Expertise (Art) 5 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Persuasion 2 (+5, +7 Attractive)

Advantages:
Attractive, Equipment (Frying Pan +2), Minion 1 (Pascal the Chameleon)

Powers:
"Healing Hair"
Healing 8 (Extras: Resurrection) (Flaws: Distracting- Must Sing a Song) (16) -- [19]
  • AE: Transform 8 (Aged People to Young People) (16)
  • AE: "Hair Entrapment" Snare 5 (Flaws: Limited to One Target At a Time) (10)
  • AE: "Glowing Hair" Environment 2 (Visibility) (2)
"70 Feet of Hair"
"Grapple With Hair" Movement 3 (Swinging, Slow-Fall, Wall-Crawling) [6]
"Lift With Hair" Power-Lifting 4 (800 lbs.) (Flaws: Distracting) [2]

"Disney Princess"
Comprehend (Animals) 2 (Flaws: Limited to Reptiles) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Frying Pan +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (The Festival of Lights)- Rapunzel has seen the "lights in the sky" on every one of her birthdays, and longs to see them up close and find out what they mean.
Responsibility (May Not Leave the Castle)- "Mother Knows Best", and Rapunzel has been ordered never to leave her home- for eighteen years she has been alone save for her mother.
Relationship (Eugene)- "Flynn Rider" has been roped into taking Rapunzel to the Festival of Lights, and despite his bone-headedness, she finds herself seeing the better part of him.
Power Loss (Healing Hair)- Cutting Rapunzel's hair causes it to lose its powers. Though she can charge her emotions and magic Magic Super-Teardrops with it, this is a lot more difficult than just touching something with her hair and singing.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 8 (77)

-Rapunzel is a bit different from most of the modern Disney Princesses, in that she's a complete emotional wreck and naively curious about everything- sort of a parody of the modern heroine characters you see in movies these days, and more of a throwback to Snow White. But whereas Snow was the ingenue, here it's played more for laughs because she's so GOOFY about it, swinging around like a giddy little schoolgirl when she's out of the tower one second (check out her cutesy pose when she rolls around inside a cocoon of her own hair, almost literally going "tee-hee!"), and then bawling her eyes out for betraying her "mother" the next. A basket case mixed with an innocent cutie-pie. She was originally going to be voiced by Kristin Chenoweth apparently, but was eventually played by Mandy Moore due to scheduling conflicts (boy would THAT have been interesting- Cheno AND Idina as Disney Princesses?).

-Rapunzel is a skinny little thing with GIANT eyes, with an inordinate amount of attention paid to her bare feet (who directed this- Quentin Tarantino?), but I thought she looked a lot cuter with the short hair at the end of the movie. Which is odd, because I generally prefer long hair.

-Rapunzel actually has myriad abilities, despite living in a tower for her entire life. Her hair has Healing properties, in addition to de-aging ones (basically a Transform since Affliction doesn't quite work on a WILLING target to quite the same extent). She can also pick up heavy objects using her hair (with a series of pullies and stuff), ensnare others, light up a room, swing from place to place, parachute, and climb up things. She's sorta like a low-tier Mr. Fantastic or Medusa, but isn't a really elite fighter. Her Frying Pan hits pretty hard, though.

About the Performer: Mandy Moore was the supremely obvious "Britney Wannabe" of the late 1990s, coming out well after her & Christina Aguilera had hit big- a tiny blonde teen starlet, she had a REALLY bad pop album with no major hits, so imagine my surprise when she turned up a couple years later as a voluptuous brunette. Still, she was about as dorky as you could possibly imagine a hot white girl being, looking like "The Popular Girl" without being mean. The occasional hit (The Princess Diaries, though Anne Hathaway got most of the attention) was mixed with some HUGE bombs (License of Wed), meaning that her acting career never gained any kind of traction. Landing the role of Rapunzel gave her a hell of a gig, especially now that there's a cartoon series, and she's also appearing in the current mega-smash This Is Us. Her music career has kind of been "blah" (she considers the early bubblegum pop era an old shame), and Tangled is generally known to have some pretty unmemorable songs, but she's still trucking along with that one.

RAPUNZEL- Circa Tangled: The Series
Played by:
Mandy Moore
Role: Precocious Innocent, Disney Princess
PL 5 (86)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+10)
Expertise (Animal Handling) 6 (+9)
Expertise (Cooking) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Housekeeping) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Singing) 6 (+9)
Expertise (Art) 5 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Persuasion 2 (+5, +7 Attractive)

Advantages:
Attractive, Equipment (Frying Pan +2), Minion 1 (Pascal the Chameleon)

Powers:
"Healing Hair"
Healing 8 (Extras: Resurrection) (Flaws: Distracting- Must Sing a Song) (16) -- [19]
  • AE: Transform 8 (Aged People to Young People) (16)
  • AE: "Hair Entrapment" Snare 5 (Flaws: Limited to One Target At a Time) (10)
  • AE: "Glowing Hair" Environment 2 (Visibility) (2)
"70 Feet of Hair"
"Grapple With Hair" Movement 3 (Swinging, Slow-Fall, Wall-Crawling) [6]
"Lift With Hair" Power-Lifting 4 (800 lbs.) (Flaws: Distracting) [2]

"Disney Princess"
Comprehend (Animals) 2 (Flaws: Limited to Reptiles) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Frying Pan +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +0, Fortitude +1, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (The Festival of Lights)- Rapunzel has seen the "lights in the sky" on every one of her birthdays, and longs to see them up close and find out what they mean.
Responsibility (May Not Leave the Castle)- "Mother Knows Best", and Rapunzel has been ordered never to leave her home- for eighteen years she has been alone save for her mother.
Relationship (Eugene)- "Flynn Rider" has been roped into taking Rapunzel to the Festival of Lights, and despite his bone-headedness, she finds herself seeing the better part of him.
Power Loss (Healing Hair)- Cutting Rapunzel's hair causes it to lose its powers. Though she can charge her emotions and magic Magic Super-Teardrops with it, this is a lot more difficult than just touching something with her hair and singing.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 14 (86)

-Tangled: The Series controversially begins with Rapunzel regaining her long hair after touching a mystical rock, which explodes forth a series of black spikes that are connected with her in some way. It turns out, after MUCH research has been done, that the sunflower her pregnant mother consumed, which gave Rapunzel (called "Raps" by her friend Cassandra, and "Blondie" by Eugene) her powers, has basically continued on with her. The "Black Rocks" are extremely dangerous, and nigh-invincible, but she later gainst he power to control them somewhat. The cartoon seems to take great efforts to break her sunshine-y personality, with frequent bouts of horror, potential loss, and heartbreak- in one moment, she breaks down because she has to turn her friend Varian away (he demands her presence to help his father; as she is left in charge of Corona, she must refuse him, lest she abandon her people)- though she had no choice, the sense of betrayal she feels is tremendous. Despite that

-Circa the Animated Series, Rapunzel is now REALLY quick on her feet, able to deftly avoid the big bruisers in the series through calm, graceful athleticism.
Jabroniville

Flynn Rider

Post by Jabroniville »

FLYNN RIDER (Eugene Fitzherbert)
Played by:
Zachary Levi
Role: Smoldering Thief, Butt-Monkey
PL 5 (82)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+12)
Athletics 6 (+8)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Thief) 6 (+7)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Sleight of Hand 6 (+10)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment (Sword +2), Evasion, Improved Defense, Ranged Attack 2

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +6 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Flynn's dream is to own an island full of money. To these ends, he will betray his allies and lie to innocent young girls.
Secret (Eugene Fitzherbert)- He took his assumed name from an adventure book he'd read as a kid- he guards this secret well, and only reveals it to Rapunzel because she's about to give up and die.
Relationship (Rapunzel)- Flynn has been roped into taking Rapunzel to the Festival of Lights, and despite his bone-headedness, she finds herself seeing the better part of him. "You were my new dream".
Relationship (Lance)- Flynn & Lance were old buddies in the orphanage, and as thieves. Lance is Flynn's best friend, but is a total scoundrel and thief, and must constantly be brought back into line.
Rivalry (Cassandra)- Rapunzel's Lady-In-Waiting is a snarky, disrespectful sort that frequently harrasses and belittles Eugene, even in front of Rapunzel.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (82)

-Flynn is more of a modern-day male hero, in that he's a funny, goofy loser who bad things tend to happen to, while the female character is more sane and competent and keeps her hands clean :). The bit where he goes all "Prepare for the SMOULDER!" is one of the best parts of the movie. Like many a Disney character, he starts out a bit bad, but turns out to be quite good. I kind of liked how he spent most of his time in the "Patrick Dempsey" role from Enchanted, being confused and mortified at the strange girl he'd encountered (especially since he was just using her to get the special crown- in return for it, he was to take her outside the walls of her tower), frequently getting befuddled by stuff like her crooning with a whole pub full of dangerous ruffians. And then when they fall in love, you can BELIEVE IT, as he fights his own nature and refuses the crown. And later, he sacrifices his own life for hers, refusing to allow his "new dream" to become a slave to Mother Gothel once more.

-Humorously, the character was designed this way due to an infamous "Hot Guy Day" at the Disney Animation studios, where they took all the female animators, stuck them in a room together, and showed pictures of every hot guy they could think of, picking out all of the elements they liked best, in order to create the "Perfect Man". Once again, this proves that guys really struggle to come up with "what's attractive" as far as women are concerned (men typically imagine women prefer huge muscles more than they really do), as Flynn is quite delicately-built (though not scrawny), has narrow features, a fairly large nose (I've pointed out before how big that is with girls), and short, shiny hair.

-Tangled: The Series keeps up "Eugene" (the name takes SO long to get used to- he was "Flynn" for the entirety of Tangled) as the snarky butt-monkey, to the point of parody at times. Really, it's silly to have bad things CONSTANTLY happen to the guy, and a lot of fans have taken negatively to how Rapunzel's friend Cassandra picks on him as well. His role as "Ex-Thief" gets played up a fair bit, as he's treated as a kind of Skillmonkey that's handy to have around (if, say, the King of Corona wishes to prank his longtime rival; or if the Castle Guards have need of someone who can POINT OUT other thieves).

About the Performer: Zachary Levi is pretty much just "Chuck from Chuck" to most people, though his upcoming role as DC's version of Captain Marvel/Shazam will prove to be the deal-maker or breaker on his career. He was also the second Fandral in the Thor series, having lost out in the first film due to scheduling conflicts (ironically, the first actor would lose the role the same way). He still plays Eugene in Tangled: The Series, so at least he still has a regular gig if nothing else works out.
Jabroniville

Maximus

Post by Jabroniville »

MAXIMUS
Role:
Mount-Turned-Determined Hunter
PL 8 (97)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 7 (+13)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 8 (+8 Size)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+3)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attractive (To Women), Diehard, Equipment (Frying Pan, Sword), Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Quick Draw, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2, Tracking

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 [3]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]
Protection 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Sword +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +9, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Horses cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects. However, Maximus can wield weapons WITH HIS MOUTH.
Motivation (Justice)- Maximus is dedicated to his duty to arrest Flynn Rider.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 17 (97)

-Maximus is an INSANELY bad-ass Horse, taking the usual "Funny Horse" character Disney movies use (like in Sleeping Beauty, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and others), and making him the most awesome fighter in Tangled, whupping countless asses and wielding a sword IN HIS TEETH to disarm hordes of men. He initially beats up Flynn Rider a lot, obsessively stalking him, and even once they become unwilling-allies, he picks on Flynn mercilessly, only warming up a bit when he realizes Flynn's feelings for Rapunzel.

-He was a LOT of people's favorite part of Tangled, which is kind of funny when you see how little a role he plays in Tangled: The Series. Perhaps inevitable, given that he's a non-speaking HORSE, and can't really engage in many plot matters, but even his fighting ability is disregarded, and he spends most of his time being a means of conveyance. I've only seen him get one episode of focus- the old "A new character shows up who's better than he is at everything, making him jealous" routine, as a new horse arrives in Corona, and is Maximus's superior in every way, causing many people to turn on him. It turns out the horse is evil, thankfully. It's implied that he has a crush on Cassandra's horse, which is a bit funny, as she's an enormous Clydesdale.

-He basically takes everything that a Horse is, and gives him supreme Swordfighting skills and even greater physical stats.
Jabroniville

The Stabbington Brothers

Post by Jabroniville »

THE STABBINGTON BROTHERS (Sideburns & Patchy)
Played by:
Ron Perlman & John DiMaggio
Role: Recurring Thugs
PL 7 (74)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Thief) 6 (+6)
Insight 2 (+2)
Perception 4 (+4)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Equipment (Sword +2), Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Sword +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Enemy (Flynn Rider)- Flynn's betrayal put the Stabbington Brothers into a lot of trouble. They constantly seek revenge.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (74)

-The hilariously-named Stabbington Brothers are recurring nemesis in Tangled, having been Flynn Rider's partners in crime, only to have him swipe their share of the stash. And so they hunt him frequently, nearly getting him twice before Mother Gothel has them capture her... then knocks them both out with a tree branch. They are last seen having been arrested. They appear once in Tangled: The Series, in an episode where Rapunzel does the "Enemy Mine" with Eugene & Cassandra, locking them in a dungeon together so that they'll get along, but they end up having to fight the jailbreaking Brothers. They use Cassandra (the Captain's daughter) as a hostage, but are KO'd by her when they try to exact revenge on Eugene. Tangled: Ever After shows them weeping at Eugene's funeral to Rapunzel, which is either just a one-off gag, or proof that they've reformed.

-Either Stabbington Brother is more powerful than Flynn himself, and they're quite potent overall.

About the Performers: Actually respected actors in their own rights, these two gravel-voiced fellows are best-known for other work. Ron Perlman is of course The Beast from the old Linda Hamilton Beauty and the Beast series (which I always found dreadfully boring and pretentious, but I was WAYYYYYYYY too young to have been into it at the time), Hellboy from that series, and appears in many other sci-fi films. John DiMaggio plays a lot of grouchy characters, such as Bender from Futurama, and Dr. Drakken from Kim Possible, though Motor Ed from the latter show is considered the role most clearly like his actual personality. He was also Jake the Dog on Adventure Time.