Jab’s Builds! (Whomp 'Em! Plumbers Don't Wear Ties! ToeJam & Earl!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

A Bug's Life

Post by Jabroniville »

A BUG'S LIFE (1998)
-Pixar's second movie, this is one I never personally enjoyed. It did REALLY well, producing some funny side characters (like Denis Leary's angry male ladybug), and notably had a rivalry with DreamWorks's Antz (widely known to be a rip-off of the concept of this movie, which John Lasseter had told Jeffrey Katzenberg of DreamWorks about). I found the more snarky and cerebral Antz to be better, though it's been forgotten. In this movie, a drone ant goes on a mission to frighten away some evil grasshoppers who have been ensaving the ant colony in order to create feasts for them. He does this by getting a Rag-Tag Band of Misfits to create a giant mechanical bird (the only thing the grasshoppers fear). The main thing I remember from it is something my Ancient Roman History professor would reference- a truism about life. When the Ant Princess begs the evil grasshoppers not to blame her for the destruction of the harvest (Flick, the aforementioned drone, was), saying it wasn't her fault, the main villain simply shouts "You were IN CHARGE- it's ALWAYS your fault!" My prof pointed out that this is ALWAYS true in politics, and definitely was in Ancient Rome- if things went bad under the watch of a consul, that consul took the full blame, and was assumed to be responsible.

Reception & Cultural Impact:
Though it did well, the characters weren't true icons, and it's largely forgotten, save for the permanent mark they left on Disney Parks, as both California Adventure featured a "bug's land" (no caps), with kiddie rides based off of the characters, and both American Parks have a horrifying bug-themed theatre-show that consists of freaking people out with gigantic insects and spiders (complete with a 20-foot tall Angry Grasshopper). In 2018, Disney finally killed off "a bug's land" in DCA, removing it for a Marvel Land. It was only ever a "band-aid" on a disappointing park that was lacking in major attractions, so it's not a huge loss, but some people did like the theming.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Queen Elsa!!!!! Hans! Zootopia! Moana! Maui!)

Post by Jabroniville »

I'll confess, I have no idea how fast I want to post these- I usually go "4/day" on build sets I've done before, but these are just descriptions of movies :). I mean, I don't wanna just spam out a TON of stuff, but until I hit The Incredibles, nobody's getting a statline.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Go with what suits ya man. I tend to post more stuff during the weekends, but sometimes, it's just when I feel inspired. If you do too much too quick, you'll burn out.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

kirinke wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:32 am Go with what suits ya man. I tend to post more stuff during the weekends, but sometimes, it's just when I feel inspired. If you do too much too quick, you'll burn out.
LOL, I was actually telling some of the others recently that I'm almost embarrassingly far ahead. Even though researching the actors takes a fair amount of time, I was able to keep a pretty good pace with the Disney Builds, and I usually work a bit ahead anyhow. For example, during the sets I was working on in June and July (the Weapons, Brutal: Paws of Fury and the Luke Cage/Iron Fist set), I was also working on a bit of builds for my "Marvel Index" set, with some "C" names. And because many of those were re-posts or minor characters, I did quite a bit. My computer troubles struck in August, so I halted doing "extra builds" to supplement doing other things... but having found time to finish those up, I got WAY ahead!

So basically, I'm in no worry of burn-out :). I was only a bit ahead in posting my Disney Builds, but I've actually finished them AND my next 2-3 projects, which means I'm like three weeks ahead, lol.
Jabroniville

Monsters, Inc.

Post by Jabroniville »

MONSTERS INC. (2001)
-One of the only Pixar movies I've never seen- I'd just moved away from home at the time, and never got around to renting it. It's a kind of "high concept" movie about monsters using children's screams for power, with Billy Crystal and John Goodman playing their typical kinds of characters, getting stuck caring for a ridiculously adorable human toddler. It turns out their enemy Randall is plotting to capture human children and forcibly extract their screams to solve an energy crisis, but the boys team up and defeat him after splitting apart over Sulley's adoption of Boo.

The movie was another smash, hitting numbers Disney wouldn't see for another ten years. Most Disney Parks have at least one Monsters Inc. attraction (mostly a dark ride, though one has an interactive comedy routine), and a prequel, Monsters Univerity, came out in 2013. Mike & Sulley have become iconic Disney characters in Meet & Greets and in merchandise, as well.
Jabroniville

Monsters University

Post by Jabroniville »

MONSTERS UNIVERSITY (2013)
-A prequel set in their college years, this movie introduces Mike & Sulley to each other. It... plays a lot of college tropes straight, and deals with Mike and Sulley's differences (Sulley is talented but lazy and unskilled; Mike lacks the talent but has the work ethic). They fight against an Evil Fraternity and have to deal with a strict, stuffy Dean.

-The movie did FANTASTICALLY well at the box office (to the tune of $744 million!), but went over with a huge "MEH" with audiences. A Rotten Tomatoes score of UNDER EIGHTY PERCENT is virtually unheard of for a Pixar film, and culturally, the film went unremembered, in part because the sister studio, Disney, came out with a certain highly-popular winter-themed movie that year and ran away with all of the public attention and money. In the end, the movie was so poorly-received that it wasn't even NOMINATED for an Oscar that year. To put a fine point on it, Monsters University was seen by the public as a bit of an example of how Pixar was faltering- throwing out "FOR THE $$$" sequels instead of putting out movies with heart and SOUL to them. Stuff like this, while profitable, can be catastrophic to brand identity... but thankfully, Pixar seriously impressed with their next two.
Shock

Re: Jab’s Builds (Queen Elsa!!!!! Moana! Maui! Pixar Builds!)

Post by Shock »

Monsters Inc was cool for the variety of monsters they came up with. You could easily turn it gritty and stat up the monsters for a campaign very different from the movie if you wanted to. Invent some side effect of collected screams that you can't get from laughter and follow the monsters that are good at scaring but not comedy.
Jabroniville

Finding Nemo

Post by Jabroniville »

FINDING NEMO (2003)
-One I missed out on until ten years later, when I rented it, this movie deals with the "Adult Fear" of child loss, as the clownfish Marlin (played by Albert "Hank Scorpio" Brooks) loses his last remaining child when the crippled Nemo is abducted by human fishermen out to fill a dentist's tank. They engage in a fantastical, beautiful adventure in which Marlin discovers Dory (played by Ellen DeGeneres), a blue tang who forgets everything moments after she's heard it, a band of surfer-slang-using turtles, vegetarian sharks, and more. Nemo, meanwhile, is recruited by the other fish in his tank for a break-out, which goes awry.

The film is very, very good, and you can see why it had such an effect on people. Brooks is REALLY good as the "regular guy" Marlin, the baby characters are ridiculously adorable (the turtle in particular being alpha-levels of "D'AWWWWWWWWWW!!!"), and Ellen's Dory is precisely at that level of "Annoying Burden" and "Endearingly Hopeful" that makes for quality instead of a disastrous attempt at a "The Load" kind of character (plus a heart-wrenching scene where she begs Marlin not to abandon her, because their relationship is finally allowing her to remember certain things). The scene where Marlin loses his entire family to a barracuda is legendary among kids as their "Mufasa Moment", and I was struck by the scene where Nemo is nearly killed getting into the tank's fan filtration system, and bawls his eyes out in fear while the other fish are sympathetic and disappointed (even the leader feels terrible). It's funny in the right moments, dramatic in others, and the undersea animation is stunning.

-It's the damndest thing- because I was just in college when this came out, I never went and saw it, so it TOTALLY blew right by without me ever noticing it. I'd heard of it, and I knew that Ellen's Dory was so popular that she actually got a COMEBACK out of the deal, going from "The Gay Rosa Parks" (as Chris Rock called her) who risked her career by coming out... to being a sensation on daytime TV and getting mainstream attention again.

But it wasn't until I went to Disneyland and Walt Disney World where I realized just HOW impactful this movie had been- I swear there was more Finding Nemo crap than ANY other Disney material! Entire SWATHS of some parks were themed around Nemo (with EPCOT's aquarium section being easily re-themed and featuring tons of clownfish- annoying fish lovers, as they're notoriously hard to care for and now HIGHLY sought after in the pet trade, much like dalmatians are every time Disney releases one of THOSE movies). Most theme parks have a "Turtle Talk With Crush" (where a CGI turtle responds to and interacts with guests), a Submarine Voyage (re-themed from the Jules Verne-ian stuff at Disneyland), a musical in Disney's Animal Kingdom, and Crush's Coaster in France. It was HUGE. I've never seen anything like it- this was just after Frozen came out, and Nemo was far in excess.

And yeah, I then checked out the money it made... and it was the record-breaker. Over $900 million worldwide. The merchandise stuff must have been INSANE, as the large-eyed characters are practically designed to be Toyetic. Many, many characters from the movie became cultural icons, and both parents AND children loved it.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

The Buzz Lightyear cartoon was actually pretty good, from what I remember. The pilot movie features Tim Allen as Buzz, but it got switched to Patrick Warburton for the show proper. The "real" Buzz probably stats up as an elite Space Hero type character (similar to Ace from Space Ace, funnily enough), since he's got all the usual stuff those archetypes do: Laser, space suit and jetpack. The show also establishes that Buzz is the best Space Ranger, hands down, and he wrote parts of the Space Ranger handbook that they all adhere to.
Jabroniville

Finding Dory

Post by Jabroniville »

FINDING DORY (2016):
-Because Pixar actually DOESN'T just hammer out sequels every time something does well, this movie took 13 years to make. It's largely a retread of the first film, but in a different kind of way, with DORY now being the central cog, having gotten lost and is now remembering bits and pieces of her past, with the parents she'd long forgotten now coming back to her. I was impressed by a lot of it, but it felt more like "Fish Parkour" than a really good, dramatic film- it's basically Dory bouncing around an aquarium, Marlin & Nemo crossing an ocean, Marlin & Nemo bouncing around the aquarium, and various other characters... also bouncing around an aquarium. There's some good gags, and Dory's relationship with her parents was very well done (they include the mandatory "Mental Illness doesn't mean you're just a horrible burden and should feel bad about it" message (which, to be fair, isn't a bad one to teach kids), but it didn't come off as good as the first one to me. I barely even remember Al Bundy's "Annoyed Octopus" character, or the friendly Whale Shark.

-While it lacked the cultural impact of the first one, HOLY CRAP did it make all of the money- it came within a hair's breadth of breaking Frozen's record, in part because of good reviews and the preceding impact of the first film (whose audience was now adult-aged). And it was HUGE at home in the U.S., where it's actually the record-holder for the highest-grossing animated film in North America ($86 million over Frozen).
HalloweenJack

Re: A Bug's Life

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:04 am Image

the tagline should have been "The world owes me a livin'...."
Jabroniville

The Incredibles

Post by Jabroniville »

THE INCREDIBLES (2004):
Written by:
Brad Bird

-Pixar was on a hell of a roll already, and this just kept it going- except for the mediocre, dumb Cars movies (UP YOURS, CARS! YOU GET SEQUELS AHEAD OF EVERYBODY ELSE BECAUSE OF KIDS' TOYS AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!). They pretty much have a license to print money with anything they produce, but mixing it with something COMIC BOOK FANS can enjoy was just icing on the cake. The movie was really well-done, and exceptionally adult at points, involving a superhero finding the skeletal corpse of an old ally, the perceived death of his family, '50s nostalgia (the Parr household), the sense of life passing you by and making you more mediocre with each passing year, etc. Oddly I've only seen it a couple of times, but I remember it a lot better than most movies I've seen even in the past year. It's THAT memorable and well done.

Brad Bird (of The Iron Giant and Simpsons fame) came up with the idea in the early '90s, but kept putting it off due to life getting in the way, much like how Bob Parr is in the film. Warner Bros. passed on it after their Looney Tunes Back In Action movie flopped, and his buddy John Lasseter picked it up, and the rest is history (Bird says "I came into a studio, freaked everyone out by how many presents I asked for, and got everything I wanted"). It required a TON of work, since human beings were rare in CGI at that point (it's why most Pixar & other CGI movies use weird monsters and stuff- the Uncanny Valley is TREMENDOUSLY hard to overcome)- they succeded by making the characters cartoonish and unrealistic, to avoid the usual pratfalls that Final Fantasy and The Polar Express suffered.

A huge part of the movie was kind of this mediocre drudge that people end up falling into as adults, but everyone kind of gets a subplot. Bob feels used, underappreciated and bored, which is why he leaps at the chance to do "superhero stuff" on Syndrome's island. Helen is a bedraggled housewife, and both excited by the "New Bob" and his new job, but mournful when she thinks she's being cheated on. Also, DAT ASS. Dash is upset because he's not allowed to use his powers- much like Bob, he chafes under these societal rules of enforced mediocrity. Violet is PERFECT as the "Shy Girl" who's afraid to even talk to people. Most of their powers reflect their personalities (especially Violet's, which allow her to literally disappear).

The movie also evokes a lot of Spy Fiction, with the heroes doing a lot of stealth, piloting and other things in addition to just fighting- a kind of cross-genre thing that appears more Johnny Quest, evoking 1960s Cartoons a bit. Bob's montage of getting back into shape is pretty terrific, as is Dash's unbridled joy at being able to be as fast as he needs to be. The sheer weight of Bob's voice in certain scenes is PERFECT, too- I had no idea Craig T. Nelson could act this well. The bit where he nearly kills Syndrome's henchlady, can't do it, and sadly breaks down weeping when he thinks his family's dead is DEAD-ON, as is him shouting to Helen "I can't LOSE YOU again! I'm not STRONG enough!".

The movie has tremendous style, too- the technology seems pretty modern, but the conceit is right out of the 1950s & '60s, especially with the set-up of the houses. That this era is so linked to suburbia is part of the movie's overall theme, with the characters sort of breaking OUT of that, and becoming what they were meant to be on Syndrome's futuristic island. The plot evokes similarities to Harrison Bergeron, a short story in which exceptional people are artificially held back in order to not make anyone feel inferior- a somewhat "Meritocratic" view of life. It's one of the more odd bits of the movie, as exceptionalism is seem as this lost ideal, but in real life I think it's still pretty strong. Yeah, it argues against stupid things like "Graduating From 4th Grade" and "Participation Medals" and the babying of other people at the expense of the skilled, but... it's hard not to see the opposite in reality.

-The movie was enormously successful, making $261 million domestically, and almost three times that overall. It was the fourth-most-successful Pixar movie of all time (behind Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo & Up), but took YEARS to get a sequel, thanks to being in the middle of the pack and not the financial money-maker that the Cars franchise had turned into (UP YOURS, CARS!), in addition to Brad Bird being busy with a lot of other stuff.

The movie had a major impact, and produced a lot of merchandise- the characters are popular in parades at the Parks, and the California Scream' rollercoaster was changed to The Incredicoaster in 2018, complete with large statues of the characters now being visible on the ride. Much of the dialogue is fairly quotable, but the BIG stuff all comes from Samuel L. Jackson's Frozone arguing with his wife ("WHERE IS MY SUPER-SUIT, WOMAN?!" followed by "GREATER GOOD? I AM YOUR WIFE! I am the GREATEST GOOD you are EVER gonna get!"). Edna Mode is oddly the most popular character in many things, where the character (voiced by Bird himself) has fantastic lines and acts like a true know-it-all fashion icon who is nonetheless packed with wisdom about life.

Helen Parr also became a bit of a perv icon, as her GIGANTIC lower body single-handedly created an entire generation of Ass Men, and she's been appearing in artwork ever since. The first movie featuring it so heavily in that famous "HHHHMPH" mirror scene is probably what did it. That The Incredibles 2 put an even BIGGER focus on Dat Ass is no mistake, either.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE we're getting CLOSERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR: https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/wicked ... 202990375/
Jabroniville

re: Jab's Builds

Post by Jabroniville »

So yeah, the Wicked 15th Anniversary celebration is tomorrow on NBC. EVERYBODY MUST WATCH IT OR YOUR LIVES ARE FORFEIT!!!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.