Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Queen Elsa!!!!! Moana! Maui! Pixar Builds!)

Post by Jabroniville »

RUSCHE wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:02 pm I went through Bob's workout in the first movie, he is shown pulling 7 cars at a fast pace and benches a train engine as well. That would be 11 to 12 or would you say 10 and 1 to 2 points of lifting?
Pushing & pulling is easier than lifting, and these are wheeled structures, so it's hard to truly say.

As to Power Levels in the Incredi-verse- the heroes seem much less powerful on average, with a standard Kill-O-Bot doing away with most of the retired heroes off-camera. Mr. Incredible seems to be the highest standard of them, and he's more "Ben Grimm Lite". They seem to have countered it by going a bit more "James Bond" instead of focusing on "just hitting".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Helen Parr

Post by Jabroniville »

0_0 Those proportions!!! My heart!!!

ELASTIGIRL (Helen Parr, aka Mrs. Incredible)
Played By:
Holly Hunter
Role: Hot Mom (AND HOW!), Elastic Super-Hero, Team Mom
PL 9 (152)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Homemaker) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+5)
Insight 5 (+8)
Investigation 8 (+11)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 3 (+6)
Vehicles 11 (+14)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Chokehold, Close Attack, Equipment (Super-Suit), Evasion 2, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Ultimate Vehicles Skill, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Stretchy Super"
Elongation 4 (120 feet) [4]
Protection 2 [2]
Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) [5]
"Rubber Band Legs" Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Elongation Tricks"
"Malleable Form" Insubstantial 1 (Feats: Precise) (6) -- [10]
  • AE: "Parachute Body" Movement 1 (Safe Fall) (2)
  • AE: "Form Shapes" Morph (Shapes) 2 (Flaws: Limited to Simple Shapes, Like a Lifeboat or Something) (Quirk: Retains Colours -1) (4)
  • AE: "Flat Sheet" Flight 2 (Flaws: Gliding) (2)
  • AE: "Hammer/Ball Fists" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
"DAT ASS" Attractive 2 (Limited to Ass Men) [1]

Equipment:
"Super-Suit"
Protection 1 (1)
Immunity 5 (Fire Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (2.5)
Features 1: Scratch & Tear-Resistant (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Hammer Fists +12 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +6 (+7 Suit), Fortitude +6, Will +8

Complications:
Relationship (Family)- Helen loves her family, and generally takes the enforcer/rule-maker role.
Secret (Super)- All Supers have been publically-banned after a long series of lawsuits drawn from their behavior. As such, all Super-activities must be carried out in secret.
Power Loss (Stretching- Cold Environments)- Being in extreme cold will prevent Helen from stretching- like many elastics, she will crumble.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 54--27 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 24 / Defenses: 13 (152)

-There's a phrase called "Hartman Hips" amongst Animation Aficionados these days, and it revolves around the tendency for modern cartoons to give their female characters (especially moms) IMMENSE hips to showcase their age/shapeliness. It's named for Bruce Hartman (of Danny Phantom/Fairly Oddparents fame), though he was not the designer, nor the inventor of the concept. It generally gets used because it can make the women look attractive, but without setting off the Censorship Watchdogs who don't like the typical OTHER uses of overt sexiness (like large busts, especially). It also looks sufficiently cartoony to pass in a show full of weird character designs, AND fits the more "Mature" characters (like Mrs. Fenton, Dexter's mom, etc.) to signify their age. This results in TONS of shows using the Hartman Hips on mature female characters, averting the Jessica Rabbit physiques and giving butt-lovers a whole lot of enjoyment (since wide hips generally produce a protruding buttocks).

-Why do I mention this? Because DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN Helen Parr has it going on back there! While not short-shrifting her in the frontal area, they made it look like she's smuggling a pair of basketballs in the back of her pants. And while I'm normally a breast guy (we get our own Secret Menu at Taco Bell, don't you know- "hee I brought my copy because I knew you wouldn't believe me"), I can appreciate the glories of a woman of corpulent buttocks enough. Add in my love of MILFs, and I'm gravy- you have your #3 Hot Disney Female after Their Royal Flawlessnesses, Belle & Elsa.

-And amazingly, The Incredibles 2 only INCREASES this nature, as Brad Bird no doubt recognized how attractive his character was, and left us dozens of long, lingering shots of her curvy body in that tight grey thingie. I mean, they even showed her shimmy up a staircase, FROM BEHIND, shaking it the entire way. There's NO WAY that was all by mistake. There were actually a ton of close-ups of her prodigious bosom, too, as if they's somehow realized they underscored that in the prior film. This is arguably the most overt fanservice Disney's ever shown outside of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Oh Yeah, the Actual CHARACTER:
-Oh yeah and the character is nice, too :). She's the standard Mom Archetype to start (home enforcer, the strict one, the one always lecturing the husband), but gets to show her serious side when she goes chasing after her husband when he disappears, bringing the children along and trying to coach them on how to be Supers (and failing a bit, especially at first). Holly Hunter does a really good job- her raspy voice indicates some age and wisdom, and she comes off much more uncertain of the future than Bob (who's either just happy to be adventuring, or is stunned and beaten by life). It's kind of unusual to see a Stretchy Hero power-set used for a female character (it fits skinny males more because they're less... rounded bits to stretch out), but since the movie has a "Fantastic Four" vibe going on, and they REALLY went to town on how the CGI for that would work, it fits.

-She turns out to be AMAZINGLY competent, too. Her super-spy act is far in excess of Bob's, and gets even better in the sequel, where her Action Heroine stuff by driving a motorcycle reaches beyond superhuman levels (the cycle appears in tons of Merch, but is only in one short scene before it blows up), and she even figures out the Screenslaver's whole act (only seconds too late). Helen's excitement in The Incredibles 2 is actually REALLY fun, as she's unsure of becoming a solo heroine, or Deavor's plan ("I'm not all DARK and ANGSTY!"), but she suddenly gets right into the groove of it, and then her joy at saving the day is palpable and wonderful ("I SAVED A TRAIN!!!"). She spends a ton of time under mind control, but comes back at the end to stop the bad guy. The sequel was really HER movie in a way, as much as the first one was Bob's.

About the Performer: Holly Hunter is a well-respected actress who shows up in a lot of art films (which means she's naked a lot). Good-looking but not in that "Mainstream" way, she's a beloved star for more arsty films, appearing in Broadcast News, Raising Arizona, and The Piano.

-Helen is slightly more expensive, but a Power Level below, her husband Bob. She has great accuracy to counter her lower power (though she hits pretty hard), and is tougher to hit, and oddly doesn't seem to suffer many flaws due to age the way Bob did (he had to "Everybody Needs a Montage" his way out of his old-man gut and flabbiness!). She's as good a fighter as ever, can stretch just fine, and in the sequel, she's effortlessly pulling off impossible stunts with her motorcycle, basically showing off Brad Bird's directing skills. Hell, I actually upgraded her by almost twenty points just because of the sequel, boosting her Investigation, Vehicles (by a LOT), Perception and other abilities. Really, she's as good as she ever was in her prime and hasn't lost as step at all, instead merely moping about her glorious, resplendent buttocks... okay enough about her butt, I promise.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN that butt!!
RUSCHE

Re: Jab’s Builds (Queen Elsa!!!!! Moana! Maui! Pixar Builds!)

Post by RUSCHE »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:13 pm
RUSCHE wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:02 pm I went through Bob's workout in the first movie, he is shown pulling 7 cars at a fast pace and benches a train engine as well. That would be 11 to 12 or would you say 10 and 1 to 2 points of lifting?
Pushing & pulling is easier than lifting, and these are wheeled structures, so it's hard to truly say.

As to Power Levels in the Incredi-verse- the heroes seem much less powerful on average, with a standard Kill-O-Bot doing away with most of the retired heroes off-camera. Mr. Incredible seems to be the highest standard of them, and he's more "Ben Grimm Lite". They seem to have countered it by going a bit more "James Bond" instead of focusing on "just hitting".
He always seemed more skilled than your standard brick, thanks for the clarification .
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Maui! The Incredibles- Bob & Helen Parr!)

Post by Ares »

I mentioned this before, but neither Helen or Bob really lost any skill during their time being parents. Bob's montage was more about getting rid of the gut he developed by doing office work than regaining any skill or strength. Maybe the working out also strengthened his back so he didn't have any back issues either. But apart from that, Bob's first time out, he managed to destroy a robot that had killed something like two dozen superheroes, and then his next time out, managed to escape from said robot and infiltrate Syndrome's base successfully, only getting caught when Helen gave away his presence accidentally via the homing device. Helen likewise is able to pull off some impressive evasive flying in what looks like a small private jet and successfully infiltrate Syndrome's island as well. And when Helen and Bob fight together, they immediately demolish the goons that had been giving their kids so much trouble, showing the difference in experience between the adults and the kids.

Both are clearly still pretty much on their A-game, despite being out of the superhero saddle for something like 15 years. Both are expert infiltrators, both are expert fighters, both are expert drivers (Bob seems better at four-wheeled vehicles while Helen is a motorcycle expert), with Helen also being an expert airplane pilot on top of that.

One thing I especially liked was that the director wanted to make a point of how important Helen's choice to be a 'stay-at-home-mom' was. This was apparently partially due to an incident where a 'career woman' basically acted condescending to his wife for putting raising their children before having a career of her own. So in both movies he makes it clear how important being the 'stay-at-home-parent' is. I also liked the role reversal where Helen gets to do Bob's dream job while Bob has to be the parent, and while Bob is clearly frustrated that he can't be the one out there being a hero, he's nothing but supportive for his wife.

The film likewise makes it clear that being a stay-at-home-dad isn't a picnic either, especially for a guy used to going out and being the breadwinner, but it never makes fun of Bob for what he's doing. In a way, Bob has to overcome Helen's own prejudices about what he's capable of. There's a scene where Bob admits to having a little trouble and Helen blurts out "I knew this would happen!" before visibly wincing and realizing she'd just said the absolute wrong thing. Because to Bob, who hates not being the hero but is trying to be supportive, it sounds like his wife doesn't believe in him, which any guy will tell you is a kick in the gut. And while Bob struggles initially to be that parent, he's never shown as incompetent, just someone unused to this particular type of parenting. When he approaches it with the same kind dedication he does everything else, he figures out Dash's math and realizes it's best to take Jackjack to someone who is actually an authority on superpowers.

There's a beautiful moment where Bob basically breaks down in front of Violet, admitting that when he's a superhero, he knows exactly what to do. But here he feels like he's out of his depth (and to be fair, he's dealing with a superpowered toddler and, even more stressful, teenage girl drama), and he hates that he's letting her down and just keeps making things worse. It's this incredibly powerful moment where the invulnerable rock of the family shows all the cracks he's got, and it helps Violet forgive him.

So yeah, the films do a great job of showing the importance of both parents, and of just being a parent in general.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Dash

Post by Jabroniville »

”I WANNA FIGHT BAD GUYS!!!” ... “It DEFINES who I am!!”
“We’re not saying you have to... what?”

DASH (Dashiell Parr)
Played By:
Spencer Fox (1st film), Huckleberry Milner (2nd film)
Role: Speedster, Impatient Kid
PL 8 (124)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 6 (+6)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+2)
Persuasion 2 (+2)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Equipment (Super-Suit), Close Attack 2, Improved Disarm, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Super-Speed"
Enhanced Advantages 14: Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Evasion 2, Great Endurance, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative 3, Power Attack, Takedown 2, Uncanny Dodge [14]
Enhanced Dodge 5 [5]
"Mach 5-ish" Speed 10 (1,000 mph) [10]
Quickness 7 [7]

"Super-Speed Feats"
"Wall & Water Run" Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling, Water-Walking) (Flaws: Limited to While Running) [2]
Immunity 1 (Friction Heat) [1]
"Jetstream" Move Object 6 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (Flaws: Touch Range) (12) -- [15]
  • AE: "Rapid-Punches" Strength-Damage +4 (Extras: Multiattack 4) (8)
  • AE: "Punch Everyone in Range" Strength-Damage +4 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst 4, Selective 4) (12)
  • AE: "Catch Projectiles" Deflect 8 (8)
"Kid" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Equipment:
"Super-Suit"
Protection 1 (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Rapid-Punches +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Whirlwind Attack +4 Area (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +17

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +2 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Family)- Dash is greatly annoyed by his family, and annoys them in turn, like most young kids.
Secret (Super)- All Supers have been publically-banned after a long series of lawsuits drawn from their behavior. As such, all Super-activities must be carried out in secret.
Motivation (Excitement & Excellence)- Dash is special, and wants to be treated as such.
Responsibility (Annoying)- Dash is an annoying prankster.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 6 (124)

-Dash is the "Annoying Younger Sibling" character and Speedster, and like most speedsters, is pretty impatient a lot of the time. One of the movie's neatest segments is the one where he is FINALLY allowed to let go and run as fast as possible- after years of hiding his powers from everybody and trying to act normal, he's allowed to excel, and just races across the Secret Island while beating on Henchmen. He has by far the least amount to do in The Incredibles 2, though helps Violet pull a daring escape from their mountaintop home and the invasion of the villains' base.

-Dash is basically a minor-league Speedster hero, but has the same qualities that make them rather potent- they can hit without being hit, which is the trademark of a high-accuracy, low-damage fighter.

About the Performer: Spencer Fox was actually the same age as his character in The Incredibles, which made him unable to play Dash in the sequel (which is possibly why he had such a comparably small role). He was also the voice of Jim & Tim Possible in the fourth season of Kim Possible (whose VA had the same problem). The second VA, Huck Milner, has literally only played Dash, according to IMDB.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

That giggle from Dash when he first realises he can run on water still makes me laugh.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Violet

Post by Jabroniville »

VIOLET (Violet Parr)
Played By:
Sarah Vowell
Role: Shrinking Violet, Force Field User, Invisible Hero
PL 9 (99)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 4 (+4)
Deception 3 (+2)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Equipment (Super-Suit), Ranged Attack 4, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Force Fields"
Force Field 10 (Extras: Dynamic, Affects Others, Area- 30ft. Burst, Impervious 11) (42) -- [48]
  • Dynamic AE: "Force Objects" Damage 8 (Feats: Dynamic, Reach 2) (11)
  • Dynamic AE: "Force Roll" Speed 2 (8 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (3)
  • Dynamic AE: "Hamster Ball Trick" Create 8 (Feats: Dynamic, Subtle 2) (Flaws: Feedback) (11)
"Invisibility" Concealment 2 (Visuals) [4]

Equipment:
"Super-Suit"

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Force Objects +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +1 (+11 Force Field), Fortitude +2, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Family)- Violet feels left-out from her father's life, that her mother is a strict disciplinarian, and that Dash is a pain in the ass.
Responsibility (Shrinking Violet)- Vi is true to form, and often goes Invisible involuntarily when a boy looks her way. She fears confrontation, danger or social situations, and is generally awkward.
Relationship (Tony Rydinger)- Tony is a cute boy at school, but Vi is too shy to talk to him.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 9 (99)

-Violet is a collection of oh-so-appropriate traits- she's a Shrinking Violet NAMED Violet, and she's a withdrawn character with the ability to literally turn invisible and be ignored by everyone around her. Her hair was so difficult to animate that they actually had to WAIT until the technology existed to allow it, once they'd already had production started for a good while. With her given personality (playing a shy character the REAL way it would be, complete with literally disappearing from conflicts or new situations), and probably that fabulous hair, she's exceptionally popular with girls, and gets a lot of focus in Incredibles media (like the sequel comic book series).

-She really plays "awkward" well, being withdrawn and nervous, but eager and emotional. This is almost played up BETTER in the sequel, where she's added a lot of anger and fire to her spirit, freaking out over "Babysitting Duty", losing it on her father for getting Tony's memories of her wiped, and more. Her frequent outbursts are some of the funnier moments in the film, but the BEST is when her dad shocks her by bringing her to Tony's restaurant. Her moment of humiliation, spraying water out her nose and going into a coughing fit, while her dad "acts casual" and Tony is desperate to help her, is quite possibly the most cringe-worthy scene of all time. Girls in the audience were literally "OHHH-HO-HO-O-O..." in sheer sympathy to how awkward and horrible it was.

-In a sense, The Incredibles 2 kind of just scales Violet back a bit, re-acquiring her awkwardness, but then, it's not like you can wear all of that off in one instance (and it's set IMMEDIATELY after the first film ends).

-Power-wise, she's got Sue Storm's powers (at a much lower level), and the physique of a scrawny teenage girl, so she lacks a lot of power, but she's the best team-player of the group in terms of capabilities.

About the Performer: I've literally never heard of Sarah Vowell before- she has one of those faces like Haley Joel Osment where it's 1/2 the size of her entire head. She's actually a serious writer of historical books and Violet is her only serious acting gig.
Jabroniville

Jack-Jack

Post by Jabroniville »

JACK-JACK:
Jack-Jack is a different ball of wax, and not really a super-hero since he's an infant and all (he's got lower stats than your average Housecat or Brown Rat with that hindrance. He's shown the powers of:
"Human Torch" Flame Aura 8 (32)
"Intangibility" Insubstantial 4 (20)
"Laser Beams" Blast 9 (Feats: Accurate 3) (21)
"Steel Form" Protection 5 (5)
"Giant Size" Growth 8
"Multiple Jack-Jacks" Duplication (up to 8) (Extras: Active, Controlled, Horde, 8 Minions +6) (11 x points value)
"Form-Copying" Morph (10)
Dimensional Travel (Invisible Dimension)
Wall-Crawling (2)
"Telekinesis" Move Object 4 (8)
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Frozen! Zootopia! Moana! The Incredibles!)

Post by Jabroniville »

So overall, the family is a PL 10 Powerhouse (Bob), PL 9 MIL--- I mean Stretchy Person (Helen), PL 9 Force Field user (Violet, who is weaker offensively and cheaper than everyone else) and a PL 8 Speedster (Dash), alongside a PL 6-ish infant (Jack-Jack). Not a bad team, with a good variety of super-powers, particularly once Jack-Jack's Grab Bag of Powers matures into real super-stuff.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:45 pm I mentioned this before, but neither Helen or Bob really lost any skill during their time being parents. Bob's montage was more about getting rid of the gut he developed by doing office work than regaining any skill or strength. Maybe the working out also strengthened his back so he didn't have any back issues either. But apart from that, Bob's first time out, he managed to destroy a robot that had killed something like two dozen superheroes, and then his next time out, managed to escape from said robot and infiltrate Syndrome's base successfully, only getting caught when Helen gave away his presence accidentally via the homing device. Helen likewise is able to pull off some impressive evasive flying in what looks like a small private jet and successfully infiltrate Syndrome's island as well. And when Helen and Bob fight together, they immediately demolish the goons that had been giving their kids so much trouble, showing the difference in experience between the adults and the kids.
Yeah, it's kinda funny how their skill level is EXACTLY the same just about, but Bob needed to get back into shape and get stronger. Elastigirl seemed as professional as ever her first day out since the kids were born, but who knows what her peak was back in the day?
One thing I especially liked was that the director wanted to make a point of how important Helen's choice to be a 'stay-at-home-mom' was. This was apparently partially due to an incident where a 'career woman' basically acted condescending to his wife for putting raising their children before having a career of her own. So in both movies he makes it clear how important being the 'stay-at-home-parent' is. I also liked the role reversal where Helen gets to do Bob's dream job while Bob has to be the parent, and while Bob is clearly frustrated that he can't be the one out there being a hero, he's nothing but supportive for his wife.
One of the Deleted Scenes on the DVD is pretty much that exact scene, with a strawman woman doing a big "BEING A HOUSEWIFE IS A WASTE, YO" while Helen loses it and rips on her. Interesting that it comes from a real incident.
The film likewise makes it clear that being a stay-at-home-dad isn't a picnic either, especially for a guy used to going out and being the breadwinner, but it never makes fun of Bob for what he's doing. In a way, Bob has to overcome Helen's own prejudices about what he's capable of. There's a scene where Bob admits to having a little trouble and Helen blurts out "I knew this would happen!" before visibly wincing and realizing she'd just said the absolute wrong thing. Because to Bob, who hates not being the hero but is trying to be supportive, it sounds like his wife doesn't believe in him, which any guy will tell you is a kick in the gut. And while Bob struggles initially to be that parent, he's never shown as incompetent, just someone unused to this particular type of parenting. When he approaches it with the same kind dedication he does everything else, he figures out Dash's math and realizes it's best to take Jackjack to someone who is actually an authority on superpowers.
Wow, I don't remember that at all- was she wearing that grey outfit when she said it? That might explain it. Like, I watched that movie twice, and I can't recall that ever happening. I did like Bob being wiped out by parenting, though- it was handled well. It could have just been "LOL Bob can't do anything right!", but he was legitimately given way too much to handle with Jack-Jack gaining super-powers right when Violet was enraged by Dicker brainwashing her crush. Dash, the easiest one to raise (being neither an infant nor a teenager), was the only one with a more "realistic" problem, but it was a straw breaking the camel's back thing. And Bob STILL managed to get it all done in the end.

Helen getting mad was great, too- "I missed JACK-JACK'S FIRST POWERS?!?"
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:15 am
Ares wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:45 pm I mentioned this before, but neither Helen or Bob really lost any skill during their time being parents. Bob's montage was more about getting rid of the gut he developed by doing office work than regaining any skill or strength. Maybe the working out also strengthened his back so he didn't have any back issues either. But apart from that, Bob's first time out, he managed to destroy a robot that had killed something like two dozen superheroes, and then his next time out, managed to escape from said robot and infiltrate Syndrome's base successfully, only getting caught when Helen gave away his presence accidentally via the homing device. Helen likewise is able to pull off some impressive evasive flying in what looks like a small private jet and successfully infiltrate Syndrome's island as well. And when Helen and Bob fight together, they immediately demolish the goons that had been giving their kids so much trouble, showing the difference in experience between the adults and the kids.
Yeah, it's kinda funny how their skill level is EXACTLY the same just about, but Bob needed to get back into shape and get stronger. Elastigirl seemed as professional as ever her first day out since the kids were born, but who knows what her peak was back in the day?
I enjoyed Incredibles 2 a lot, but one of my problems with it is that Helen doesn't really... change. She's the exact same person at the start of the movie that she is at the end of the movie. It seems like a movie about her this time, but Bob and Violet are still the ones who actually get character arcs and development.

(Insert joke about Helen's level of development)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:15 am
Weird as it might sound, I'm not sure Bob's weight training really made him any stronger.It seemed like it was more about burning all of that extra fat he'd developed over the years. Depending on how you look at it, his biggest strength feats are done while he's working out, not after it.
Wow, I don't remember that at all- was she wearing that grey outfit when she said it? That might explain it. Like, I watched that movie twice, and I can't recall that ever happening. I did like Bob being wiped out by parenting, though- it was handled well. It could have just been "LOL Bob can't do anything right!", but he was legitimately given way too much to handle with Jack-Jack gaining super-powers right when Violet was enraged by Dicker brainwashing her crush. Dash, the easiest one to raise (being neither an infant nor a teenager), was the only one with a more "realistic" problem, but it was a straw breaking the camel's back thing. And Bob STILL managed to get it all done in the end.

Helen getting mad was great, too- "I missed JACK-JACK'S FIRST POWERS?!?"
It was when they were having that phone call after her first day back being a hero. She's gushing and Bob is trying to be supportive, and then she asks about the kids. Bob mentions a problem he he had, and Helen overreacts a little, saying, "I knew this would happen", which leads Bob to say, "You don't think I can handle this?" And you can just see in Helen's face she wished she'd phrased that better and has to backpedal.

Helen really would rather be at home with the kids, because she loves her family and is a good mom. But she also loves being a superhero and she realizes that doing this will let them all be superheroes. And she knows Bob has all of these strengths, but that this "stay at home dad" thing is uncharted territory for him, and the idea that her family might be in trouble makes her want to rush back to fix things. But she phrased it in a way that made it sound like she expected Bob to screw this up, which makes Bob a little defensive. Because he would love to be where Helen is, but he wants to do what's best for everyone, and he's legitimately trying his best in the face of incredible difficulty (pun intended).

It was a very natural way to have them get into a fight without either person really being in the wrong. The way most relationship fights are.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

It's also kind of interesting that superpowered parents just pass on the potential to have superpowers to their kids, rather than the powers themselves. Like, neither Violet or Dash's powers have anything to do with their parents powers. And Jack-Jack is basically Franklin Richards by way of the Composite Superman. I mean, Jesus, unless that kids powers settle down, he's going to be insanely powerful when he grows up.

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:09 am It's also kind of interesting that superpowered parents just pass on the potential to have superpowers to their kids, rather than the powers themselves. Like, neither Violet or Dash's powers have anything to do with their parents powers. And Jack-Jack is basically Franklin Richards by way of the Composite Superman. I mean, Jesus, unless that kids powers settle down, he's going to be insanely powerful when he grows up.
Going by what Edna says after examining him, Jack-Jack is basically Martian Manhunter, a shapeshifter with a lot of extra powers. Although she also said that is pretty typical of little supers to have many extra powers that disappear as they grow. The unusual bit about Jack-Jack is that he already has fully developed powers, whereas most little supers only have hints of them.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:09 am It's also kind of interesting that superpowered parents just pass on the potential to have superpowers to their kids, rather than the powers themselves. Like, neither Violet or Dash's powers have anything to do with their parents powers. And Jack-Jack is basically Franklin Richards by way of the Composite Superman. I mean, Jesus, unless that kids powers settle down, he's going to be insanely powerful when he grows up.
The series also doesn't give ANYONE origins for their powers- it's kind of odd, but part of the setting that these are just established things.