Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Brigitte! Colossi! Sepulchre! Maximus Lobo!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Well, it's not GREAT, but it's pretty solid for Indie-level work.

Is there anyone in comics who was as bad as Austen with nearly as long a career? I mean, he even had a TV show (the HORRIFICALLY bad Tripping the Rift)!
Jabroniville

The Prime Mover

Post by Jabroniville »

THE PRIME MOVER
Created By:
Jim Steranko
First Appearance: Strange Tales #167 (April 1968)
Role: Smart Computer, Gamesman
Group Affiliations: Latveria

-The Prime Mover is a Steranko creation, built by Doctor Doom in order to manipulate his enemies via games of skill for his own amusement. To Doom's frustration, the Mover successfully had S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents defeat a robotic duplicate of The Yellow Claw. However, when Doom eventually grew bored with the games, the Mover's circuits became restless, and he went off on his own, seeking more games to challenge himself. This naturally led him to the locale of the alien Grandmaster, who used Daredevil and The Defenders as his pawns, while the Mover grabbed characters from various worlds and time periods. Built never to lose, the Prime Mover short-circuited after the defeat.

-He later reappeared, again gaming with Doom (methinks Doug Moench forgot the Gerber story existed), watching Shang-Chi fight an army of robotic duplicates of past foes- he loses when Shang-Chi is unaware that a nurse was actually a robot as well. More than a decade later, Grant Morrison used the character in some Fantastic Four stuff, as it mysteriously reveals reality-warping powers (probably because Grant was on the GOOD SHIT that week and just wanted to see weird things), exacerbating the FF & Namor's worst traits in order to manipulate them. Reed creates a counter-machine while Alicia Masters interferes, saving the day. The Invisible Woman broke most of the guy's stuff.

-A pretty standard robot at first, the Mover lacked awareness of human emotions, stunting his capabilities. Later on, he developed untested reality-warping powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Lois London

Post by Jabroniville »

LOIS LONDON (aka Mortis)
Created By:
Danny Fingeroth
First Appearance: Dazzler #20 (Sept. 1982)
Group Affiliations: None
Role: Forgotten Sibling (to Dazzler)
PL 9 (100)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Death Touch) 2 (+8)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Streetwise) 2 (+2)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 2 (+2)
Intimidation 5 (+5)
Perception 1 (+1)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Ray Gun +6), Inventor, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Death Touch"
Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Affects Objects) Linked to Damage 8 (Extras: Penetrating) [36]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Death Touch +8 (+10 Weaken & +8 Damage, DC 20 & 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Dazzler)- Lois apparently has grown to hate Dazzler over the years, despite the two being sisters.
Guilt (Killer)- Lois carried loads of guilt for years over accidentally killing that hobo when her powers first manifested themselves.
Power Loss (Powers vs. Dazzler)- Like many mutants, Lois cannot use her powers effectively on her own sibling.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 36 / Defenses: 16 (100)

-Yeah, this is just F'd up to me. I have literally no recollection of this character, despite her being DAZZLER'S SISTER, and a character in Necrosha, A BOOK I HAVE OWNED AND READ IN ENTIRETY. I mean, I'm the type who sees a total rand-o and immediately stats them up, yet I didn't even find this character memorable enough to do ANYTHING with her from that story?

-Okay, so Lois London is introduced as the younger half-sister of mutant pop idol, Dazzler, born to Alison Blaire's mother Katherine, and her abusive lover, Nicholas Brown. Katharine eventually spiralled into drug addiction, but sobered up enough to take Lois and leave. Lois was a fan of Dazzler's, but had no idea as to their relation, and her mother was too ashamed by her past to talk about it. Initially targeted by Dazzler's enemy Rogue, she turned out to have mutant powers of her own, after accidentally slaughtering a hobo who was threatening her. Lois fell into Alison's arms, and Dazzler volunteered to help, even after Lois was blackmailed by a man who turned out to be the assistant of Nicholas himself. Lois was happily reunited with her now-wealthy father, and left with him, leaving Dazzler feeling abandoned and hurt.

-This is the last we saw of this character for LITERALLY YEARS, as Claremont never used any of this stuff in his X-Men run- Lois, still guilt-ridden over killing the hobo years later, is now apparently resentful of Dazzler, and hooks up with Selene's band of mutants with death powers after she kills her now-violent-again father when he attacks her. Renamed "Mortis", she kills Diamond Lil (now I'm REALLY confused as to why I don't remember the character! I READ about that!). Lois has her throat slashed by Wolfsbane, but is rescued by Blink, who leaves the battlefield with her.

-Lois later shows up having hired Arcade to kill Dazzler, but Alison beats her sister, captures her, and brings her to the mutant Utopia, causing tension with Cyclops (since Mortis killed one of the few remaining mutants). Dazzler's able to shame him by pointing out that there were OTHER murderers on the island (true), and that Cyclops HIMSELF has a sibling who's a murderer (also true). Psylocke decides to work on Lois's psychic trauma, placing her in a coma... which she apparently never leaves, as we're like 18 X-Events past that and that's where the bio stops.

-Lois sports a rather devastasting mutant power, able to kill the super-durable Diamond Lil in seconds, but it's literally the only time she's shown ACTUALLY KILLING A GOOD FIGHTER, as everyone else is a civilian, so it's tough to properly "place" her. She's dangerous, but insanely one-note.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Locust

Post by Jabroniville »

THE LOCUST (August Hopper)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Werner Roth
First Appearance: X-Men #24 (Sept. 1966)
Group Affiliations: None
Role: Forgotten Silver Age Villain
PL 7 (112)
STRENGTH
1/5 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Etymology) 6 (+12)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 4 (+4)
Technology 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Ray Gun +6), Inventor, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Exo-Shell" (Flaws: Removable) [32]
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
Protection 4 (4)
"Peripheral Lenses" Senses 1 (Radius Sight) (1)
"Insect Control" Mind Control 4 (Extras: Area- 500ft. Burst +5) (Flaws: Limited to Animals, Limited to Insects, Tough Range -2) (20)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) (6)
-- (39 points)

"Magno-Ray" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [10]
Growth 8 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Others Only +0) (Flaws: Limited to Insects) (16 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Exo-Shell +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Ray Gun +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+6 Exo-Shell), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Relationship (Carol- Daughter)- Hopper finds Carol, a fellow entymologist, to be too good for her fiance, and is furious that she didn't ask his permission to wed, and so of course he attacks them with giant insects.
Motivation (Showing Them All)- Hopper was discredited for "crackpot theories", and has thus taken the most obvious route- taking over the world using an army of giant insects.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 11 (112)

-One of those totally-forgotten 1960s villains, The Locust hails from the weird "Roy Thomas Era" of X-Men, where the team of mutant metaphors for discrimination... fought generic super-villains in generic super-hero stories. His science-themed origin story is so generic that he literally intends to SHOW THEM ALL, by using a "Magno-Ray" to enlarge insects which will then act under his orders- he uses this to attack those who discredited him over his "crackpot theories". He thus sends a swarm of locusts, grasshoppers, wasps and beetles to overthrow the entire world (...), but is defeated by the X-Men. The character reappears five years later, then in a Hulk story (in which he attacks his daughter's fiance, believing him to be unworthy of her), before taking a fifteen year break and appearing in X-Factor in 1990. His last appearance was in 2002's The Order, fighting... Doctor Strange, The Hulk, The Sub-Mariner & The Silver Surfer. Thankfully, the book makes light of his thread, as I'm thinking a bunch of rampaging arthropods are not gonna stand a chance. The character is noted in all of his later appearances for being totally crazy.

-A smart scientist with a single lame gimmick, The Locust is no major challenge to anybody.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spam

Post by Spam »

Only in comics would a scientist be mocked for discovering how to make insects grow giant size.

"What's next, a ray that turns things to gold? Good luck robbing banks with that!"
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Fun fact.

Lobsters and shell fish are essentially sea-insects.

Tasty though.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Jabroniville

Crystar

Post by Jabroniville »

CRYSTAR (1982 toyline & comic book series):
Created By:
Jo Duffy & Bret Blevins

-A largely-forgotten toyline, Crystar was a He-Man knock-off which never really got off the ground, but was one of DOZENS of toy-related projects Marvel took on in the early '80s in order to make a quick buck. Some of them, like Transformers and G.I. Joe, were wildly successful and made them SHIT-TONS of money. Others would prove to be a big legal pain in the ass (Rom: Spaceknight), since Marvel had unwisely tied them in to their own universe and invented new characters before losing the rights to the main hero. And others... were stuff like The Saga of Crystar.

-Crystar debuted the year following the toyline's debut, leading many to think that Marvel had licensed it... however, the REAL truth is that Marvel created the entire thing, hoping to get into the toy business themselves. It worked, but the franchise never took off (possibly because Remco, who licensed it, was a minor player on the toy scene), and the eleven-issue comic book series was all that was created. It lived on in the Marvel Handbooks of the '80s, and the fact that some mainstream Marvel characters crossed over into the book, such as Nightcrawler & Doctor Strange. Crystar appeared during Marvel's Secret Wars event, with part of Battleworld being comprised of Crystar's homeland. The toys honestly look pretty weak- either monochromatic, blocky guys (albeit some with cool "partially-transparent rock" coloring), or silly old dudes in goofy outfits like Ogeode & Zardeth. It's not hard to see why the toyline failed.

-The story of Crystar was that brothers Crystar & Moltar were confronted by two ancient wizards, one representing Order, and the other Chaos. Naturally, Crystar became an agent of Order, and turned into a crystal dude after Moltar attacked and nearly killed him. Moltar chose Chaos, and he and his men became living lava, leading Crystar's men to become crystal too, in order to fight.

-I couldn't really imagine doing a set of Crystar builds, as any kind of statline is hard to find in my research. Even Marvunapp basically says "Crystar is super-strong and impervious to heat & lava" and doesn't mention any kind of levels.

CRYSTAR CHARACTERS:
CRYSTAR: Generic Handsome Protagonist. A Prince of their homeworld.
AMBARA: The "Girlfriend" character. Looks like a normal person, and is apparently wearing a purple one-piece swimsuit a lot.
FELDSPAR: An old bearded guy who's been an ally to kings. Has some form of political power, and acts as an advisor.
OGEODE: Wizard Champion of Order, who gave Crystar and his friends their powers. Tends to show great power at random, like your typical Comic Book Wizard, despite saying he's been at a lower power level after doing so much magic during great wars.
IKA: Ogeode's daughter. Very durable and strong, and given some sorcerous powers.
KALIBAR: Generic ally. Family man.
STALAX: The youngest Crystal Warrior. Looks kind of immature, but doesn't seem to act like it, I guess.
WARBOW: Uses a bow. Secretly has feelings for Ambara. Lost his eye to Zardeth, after maiming the villain.
KOTH: Mustached soldier.

VILLAINS:
ZARDETH: Evil Wizard who turned everyone into Chaos-loving lava monsters. Lost his left eye to Warbow.
MOLTAR: Crystar's brother, turned evil and leads the Magma Men. Eventually turns on Zardeth and watches as Crystar is made king.
LAVOUR: Crystar's old fiance, but hooked up with Moltar for political power when she thought Crystar was dead. She fell in love with Moltar for real, but was trapped in lava form when Zardeth turned Moltar back to a human being, leaving them unable to consummate their love.
MALACHON: The "Starscream/Destro" character, Malachon was allied with the villains, but conspired to gain Zardeth's favor, annoying Moltar. Eventually had to flee when Moltar turned on Chaos.
THE MAGMA MEN: Moltar's Mooks.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shock

Re: Jab’s Builds (Brigitte! Maximus Lobo! Lois London! Crystar!)

Post by Shock »

I had the green guy and my brother had the blue guy. I think we also had one of the bad guys. Aside from Crystar, I'm not sure I ever knew their names. They were cool because nothing else was translucent at the time and I was 8-9 years old. They got thrown in with all the other random GI Joe sized figures and were part of the rotation of allies and enemies the Joes would run up against in their adventures.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

kirinke wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:45 pm Fun fact.

Tasty though.
Eyeh, in that they're arthropods. Just as closely related to arachnids such as ticks, spiders, harvestmen, and camel spiders.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Crystar

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:50 pm Image

CRYSTAR (1982 toyline & comic book series):
Created By:
Jo Duffy & Bret Blevins

I actually had a few of these guys as a kid. Not terribly good toys from what I remember. What kills me about "Felspar" is that he's apparently suppose to be a hybrid of crystal and lava, embodying both good and evil . . . but he looks like an old crystal guy wearing red pants. Like he's some weird cystal Santa Clause.

I believe there was an out-of-continuity gag comic they did once, made because one promotional image showcased the heroes base and villains lair as being right next to each other. The creative team apparently decided to have some fun with said image and did an issue where the heroes and villains were treating each other more like annoying neighbors rather than mortal enemies. Crystar would go outside in a bath robe to get his newspaper, find out the villains dog had pooped in his yard, that kind of thing.

They also apparently realized their book wasn't selling well, because they did the thing everyone does in that situation: crossovers!

You mean this team-up with ALPHA FLIGHT couldn't prevent our cancellation? Well color me shocked!
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

kirinke wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:45 pm Fun fact.

Tasty though.
Another fun fact, lobsters used to be thought of as peasants food, there's a prison on an island somewhere (I can't remember where exactly) that fed the prisoners almost solely on lobster.

I can't help but wonder just how unbelievably hungry the first person to eat most shellfish was, given how weird it usually looks.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

fairly timely, Jab, Crystallium's currentlly a major plot point in Mark Waid's Champions run
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

M4C8 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:51 pm
Another fun fact, lobsters used to be thought of as peasants food, there's a prison on an island somewhere (I can't remember where exactly) that fed the prisoners almost solely on lobster.
It's an obscure place named Boston according to some accounts. Seasonal tourism changed that, that and people realizing it tasted much better when cooked alive (due to stress chemicals).
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

man, I remember those Crystar ads. I don't think I had any of the toys. I wouldn't mind seeing that make a comeback in some form

It also totally reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZlpTp_dJA