Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Brigitte! Maximus Lobo! Lois London! Crystar!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Corrigon wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:11 pm Regarding Cammi, there is a plot line Abnett and Lanning's GOTG where Drax is searching for her, so they didn't forget her.

However, this gets sidelined when he learns that Moondragon can be saved from her death.
Ah, good to know. I just remember reading through Annihilation and then GOTG (my friend collected both, and I read them at his place), and going "Where the f*** is Cammi and why are they NEVER MENTIONING HER?". It must have been dropped fairly quickly.

I was a bit stunned to find out from Kreuzritter (I think) that she popped up as a major character in Marvel's Battle Royale knock-off.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Continued from the opening issue to late teens when Moondragon comes back. Then everything goes to hell and they don't get back to it.

Bendis never deals with it
Jabroniville

Conan the Barbarian

Post by Jabroniville »

LOL I love how they just keep repeating the same theme in all the big pics... but it NEVER GETS OLD.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Conan the Cimmerian)
Created By:
Robert Howard
First Appearance: Weird Tales (Dec. 1932)
Role: The Ur-Example of Barbarian Fantasy Heroes, The Guy You Wanted to Be When You Were Twelve
Group Affiliations: Cimmeria
PL 11 (184)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+15)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+16)
Deception 3 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Expertise (Soldier) 11 (+14)
Expertise (Thief) 4 (+7)
Expertise (History) 3 (+6)
Insight 5 (+9)
Intimidation 8 (+12)
Investigation 5 (+9)
Perception 8 (+12)
Sleight of Hand 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Assessment, Attractive, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Defensive Throw, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Old-School Weapons), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Sword) 2, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon, Inspire, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (A Few), Last Stand, Leadership, Luck 2, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Skill Mastery (Military), Startle, Takedown 2, Taunt, Tracking, Ultimate Strength, Uncanny Dodge

Equipment:
"Broadsword" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 4) -- (8 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +16 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Broadsword +14 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 14), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +11

Complications:
Responsibility (Honor)- Conan has a sense of honor that makes him rather straightforward when dealing with more "cultured" others.
Relationship (Every Woman He Sees)
Enemy (Kulan Gath, Wrath-Amon, Thulsa Doom, etc.)- Conan has many enemies.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 64--32 / Advantages: 51 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 17 (184)

-One of the most famous and recognizable names out there, Conan the Barbarian actually had a REALLY big run at Marvel in the 1970s & '80s under Roy Thomas' writing- this span of time actually made the character a bit of a fad again (his creator, Robert Howard, committed suicide DECADES before this- only four years after the first publication of a Conan story!), resulting in the famous Schwarzenegger movie and a bunch of other stuff. Conan's stories are, of course, HUGELY-influential in terms of "Low Fantasy" (ie. fantasy stories about killin' stuff), and the stories were reprinted for decades after Howard's death, alongside countless new tales by franchised writers. A nerd like Roy Thomas had naturally heard of them (he was an old-school comic book fan from the '40s, so naturally had read the pulp magazines from which Conan sprang as well), and so worked on a new, more "adult" line of comics alongside guys like John Buscema on art. These books pre-dated DC's Vertigo line by YEARS, and were violent, boob-filled affairs, as all great things are.

-Conan is a sullen, gruff Barbarian dude who basically wanders from place to place, kicking ass for survival and because kicking ass is awesome, scoring with every hot chick he sees, and killing unkillable dudes and monsters. Basically, the awesome, alpha, super-macho ideal of the manliest of men- is it any wonder that his tales appealed to the kind of nerds that could have never survived in the Hyborian Age? Howard's Conan was apparently one to joke, but later versions kinda dropped this in favor of being an ass-kicker.

-I've only read a handful of the Marvel Conan stuff, but it's really good from what I've seen- very simplistic storytelling and generic "Fightin' Round the World!" stuff, but it's drawn REALLY well (you don't get better than John F'in' Buscema, that's for sure) and full of ass-kickery. And Marvel's Conan was HUGE- he had TWO comic books running simultaneously all the way back in the mid-70s, during a time when only Spider-Man, Batman & Superman could've pulled that off. In fact, both books lasted all the way until the Comic Book Crash of the early 1990s, running more than TWENTY YEARS EACH. And then all of a sudden Marvel dropped them, and they disappeared into the adaptation-based works in Dark Horse Comics, where they are written to this day (I think).

-Marvel's Conan was a straight-up KING of ass-kickers- he was effectively super-strong (able to outwrestle guys who'd never been beaten before by anyone, and claimed they were unstoppable), skilled as Hell, and one of the best fighters who ever lived. In some team-up issue, he ended up in the mainstream Marvel U, and held his own with CAPTAIN AMERICA. He's damn-near unstoppable, and could be fit right onto The Avengers or Daredevil's crew or something without missing a beat. He's also a great Skillmonkey and highly-athletic, being one of those Fantasy Males that EVERY dude wanted to be- he was just good at EVERYTHING.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Lois London! Crystar! Cammi! Conan the Barbarian!)

Post by Jabroniville »

HAHAHAHAHAAH jesus christ- Ted DiBiase's basketball clinic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtgPnzop7-Q

Kicking the ball away and taunting the sad child is the greatest heel moment of all time.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ah, love me some Conan the Barbarian. I own all of the old Howard stories, a ton of the Marvel books, several Conan RPGs and a few of the later Conan novels. It cannot be overstated how important Conan was to the fantasy genre, since while Tolkien and Lewis really codified the fantasy tropes that would become the genre, Conan introduced those concepts to the modern audience.

See, back in the pulp era, writers literally got paid pennies by the word. So the only way to make a living was to keep putting out stories constantly. And Howard loved writing historical fiction, but felt that the time it would take to really research those stories to do them justice would take too long and leave him homeless. So he came up with the brilliant idea to create the Hyborian Age, an era of pre-history where he could simply create analogues of every historical culture he wanted, regardless of the era, and put them in the same world to have Conan adventure through. And since Howard was pen-pals with H.P. Lovecraft, Howard included Lovecraft style monsters, gods and sorcerers. Reading through Howard's stuff really feels like early days D&D, save that the heroes have spellcasters on their side as well. In effect, Howard had created the "Swords and Sorcery" genre that would later get turned into the proper fantasy genre.

And yeah, those old Conan stories aren't exactly deep, but they are a ton of fun. It's kind of a shame that we've never really gotten a truly good Conan movie. The first Conan film with Arnold and the reboot with Jason Momoa are okay, but both of them suffer from kind of generic plots and the need to give Conan a revenge motivation to face the final bad guy. The thing is, Conan doesn't need any kind of motivation. Conan doesn't have a character arc. Every Conan story should basically be "what crazy shenanigans does Conan get up to in this film"? He's a guy who left his homeland in his late teens because he was bored being a border guard, started out as a thief, graduated to a pirate, then became this mercenary fighter, then a warlord, and then finally king by his own hand. There are a ton of adventures waiting to happen.

One thing the movies especially kind of irk me about is Conan's intelligence. Conan was actually quite smart, he just wasn't "educated" in the traditional sense. But he was clever, had a good head for tactics, was cunning, could speak almost a dozen languages, etc. One of my favorite Conan quotes is as follows:

"I have known many gods. He who denies them is as blind as he who trusts them too deeply. I seek not beyond death. It may be the blackness averred by the Nemedian skeptics, or Crom's realm of ice and cloud, or the snowy plains and vaulted halls of the Nordheimer's Valhalla. I know not, nor do I care. Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Marvel's gotten the rights back to Conan haven't they?

As far as the movies go, the original Arnold one is easily one of my favorite movies. The Momoa one....I didn't care for it, despite I think they got Conan closer to what he was in the stories and such. It's just....well Marcus Nispell directed it. It's like there are things in it that on paper would sound awesome (like Conan catapulting that guy into his own army's encampment) but Nispell just can't pull them off on screen very well. They lack any impact( much like the violence in his Friday the 13th and Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies).

One thing I've never gotten was the absolute hatred Conan the Destroyer gets. I thought it was a pretty decent RPG style story. Still do. Ir's not as violent as the first one, but you still get heads cut off and honestly that scene where Conan fights Thoth-Amon's man-ape form in the mirror room (which as a kid I always thought would be what Godzilla looked like if he were humanoid) were fun.
RUSCHE

Re: Conan the Barbarian

Post by RUSCHE »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:16 pm ImageImageImageImageImage

LOL I love how they just keep repeating the same theme in all the big pics... but it NEVER GETS OLD.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Conan the Cimmerian)
Created By:
Robert Howard
First Appearance: Weird Tales (Dec. 1932)
Role: The Ur-Example of Barbarian Fantasy Heroes, The Guy You Wanted to Be When You Were Twelve
Group Affiliations: Cimmeria
PL 11 (184)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 10 (+15)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+16)
Deception 3 (+7, +9 Attractive)
Expertise (Soldier) 11 (+14)
Expertise (Thief) 4 (+7)
Expertise (History) 3 (+6)
Insight 5 (+9)
Intimidation 8 (+12)
Investigation 5 (+9)
Perception 8 (+12)
Sleight of Hand 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Animal Empathy, Assessment, Attractive, Beginner's Luck, Chokehold, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Defensive Throw, Diehard, Equipment 2 (Old-School Weapons), Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Sword) 2, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Disarm, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Improved Smash, Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon, Inspire, Jack-of-All-Trades, Languages 2 (A Few), Last Stand, Leadership, Luck 2, Power Attack, Prone Fighting, Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 6, Skill Mastery (Military), Startle, Takedown 2, Taunt, Tracking, Ultimate Strength, Uncanny Dodge

Equipment:
"Broadsword" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 4) -- (8 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +16 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Broadsword +14 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 14), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +11

Complications:
Responsibility (Honor)- Conan has a sense of honor that makes him rather straightforward when dealing with more "cultured" others.
Relationship (Every Woman He Sees)
Enemy (Kulan Gath, Wrath-Amon, Thulsa Doom, etc.)- Conan has many enemies.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 64--32 / Advantages: 51 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 17 (184)

-One of the most famous and recognizable names out there, Conan the Barbarian actually had a REALLY big run at Marvel in the 1970s & '80s under Roy Thomas' writing- this span of time actually made the character a bit of a fad again (his creator, Robert Howard, committed suicide DECADES before this- only four years after the first publication of a Conan story!), resulting in the famous Schwarzenegger movie and a bunch of other stuff. Conan's stories are, of course, HUGELY-influential in terms of "Low Fantasy" (ie. fantasy stories about killin' stuff), and the stories were reprinted for decades after Howard's death, alongside countless new tales by franchised writers. A nerd like Roy Thomas had naturally heard of them (he was an old-school comic book fan from the '40s, so naturally had read the pulp magazines from which Conan sprang as well), and so worked on a new, more "adult" line of comics alongside guys like John Buscema on art. These books pre-dated DC's Vertigo line by YEARS, and were violent, boob-filled affairs, as all great things are.

-Conan is a sullen, gruff Barbarian dude who basically wanders from place to place, kicking ass for survival and because kicking ass is awesome, scoring with every hot chick he sees, and killing unkillable dudes and monsters. Basically, the awesome, alpha, super-macho ideal of the manliest of men- is it any wonder that his tales appealed to the kind of nerds that could have never survived in the Hyborian Age? Howard's Conan was apparently one to joke, but later versions kinda dropped this in favor of being an ass-kicker.

-I've only read a handful of the Marvel Conan stuff, but it's really good from what I've seen- very simplistic storytelling and generic "Fightin' Round the World!" stuff, but it's drawn REALLY well (you don't get better than John F'in' Buscema, that's for sure) and full of ass-kickery. And Marvel's Conan was HUGE- he had TWO comic books running simultaneously all the way back in the mid-70s, during a time when only Spider-Man, Batman & Superman could've pulled that off. In fact, both books lasted all the way until the Comic Book Crash of the early 1990s, running more than TWENTY YEARS EACH. And then all of a sudden Marvel dropped them, and they disappeared into the adaptation-based works in Dark Horse Comics, where they are written to this day (I think).

-Marvel's Conan was a straight-up KING of ass-kickers- he was effectively super-strong (able to outwrestle guys who'd never been beaten before by anyone, and claimed they were unstoppable), skilled as Hell, and one of the best fighters who ever lived. In some team-up issue, he ended up in the mainstream Marvel U, and held his own with CAPTAIN AMERICA. He's damn-near unstoppable, and could be fit right onto The Avengers or Daredevil's crew or something without missing a beat. He's also a great Skillmonkey and highly-athletic, being one of those Fantasy Males that EVERY dude wanted to be- he was just good at EVERYTHING.
One of my favorites growing up, now I get to see how my youngest (13) gets to know some of his adventures. Great build, oh the art is not that bad either.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:02 pm by the way Jab, get on those Skeleton Warriors builds kay? thanks.
I’ll do it after I watch Bedknobs and Broomsticks and stat up Inhumanoids, K?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:45 pm Marvel's gotten the rights back to Conan haven't they?
They do, though I believe Dynamite still has the rights to Red Sonja.
As far as the movies go, the original Arnold one is easily one of my favorite movies. The Momoa one....I didn't care for it, despite I think they got Conan closer to what he was in the stories and such. It's just....well Marcus Nispell directed it. It's like there are things in it that on paper would sound awesome (like Conan catapulting that guy into his own army's encampment) but Nispell just can't pull them off on screen very well. They lack any impact( much like the violence in his Friday the 13th and Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies).
Momoa felt and looked solid as Conan, and the story had Conan elements, but it ultimately felt more like a Pirates of the Caribbean film than a Conan one, which is not how it should be.
One thing I've never gotten was the absolute hatred Conan the Destroyer gets. I thought it was a pretty decent RPG style story. Still do. Ir's not as violent as the first one, but you still get heads cut off and honestly that scene where Conan fights Thoth-Amon's man-ape form in the mirror room (which as a kid I always thought would be what Godzilla looked like if he were humanoid) were fun.
Yeah, I don't get hate for Destroyer. It's not as good as the first Arnold Conan film, but you've again got a lot of classic Conan elements.

One thing the two Arnold Conan films definitely had was an awesome soundtrack. I can just listen to that music all day.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:05 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:02 pm by the way Jab, get on those Skeleton Warriors builds kay? thanks.
I’ll do it after I watch Bedknobs and Broomsticks and stat up Inhumanoids, K?
lies! and pictures of also lies!
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

totally agree with Ares on the soundtrack. epic stuff.

I particularly like the music in the scene where Conan kills Rexor
ClassDunce

Post by ClassDunce »

I love the Inhumanoids! I've had the theme song stuck in my head for nearly 25 years. My mom got it for me on VHS at a Garage Sale. This and DinoRiders. Loved it sad that I was almost a decade too late to get any of the toys lol.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ares wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:50 pm Ah, love me some Conan the Barbarian. I own all of the old Howard stories, a ton of the Marvel books, several Conan RPGs and a few of the later Conan novels. It cannot be overstated how important Conan was to the fantasy genre, since while Tolkien and Lewis really codified the fantasy tropes that would become the genre, Conan introduced those concepts to the modern audience.

See, back in the pulp era, writers literally got paid pennies by the word. So the only way to make a living was to keep putting out stories constantly. And Howard loved writing historical fiction, but felt that the time it would take to really research those stories to do them justice would take too long and leave him homeless. So he came up with the brilliant idea to create the Hyborian Age, an era of pre-history where he could simply create analogues of every historical culture he wanted, regardless of the era, and put them in the same world to have Conan adventure through. And since Howard was pen-pals with H.P. Lovecraft, Howard included Lovecraft style monsters, gods and sorcerers. Reading through Howard's stuff really feels like early days D&D, save that the heroes have spellcasters on their side as well. In effect, Howard had created the "Swords and Sorcery" genre that would later get turned into the proper fantasy genre.

And yeah, those old Conan stories aren't exactly deep, but they are a ton of fun. It's kind of a shame that we've never really gotten a truly good Conan movie. The first Conan film with Arnold and the reboot with Jason Momoa are okay, but both of them suffer from kind of generic plots and the need to give Conan a revenge motivation to face the final bad guy. The thing is, Conan doesn't need any kind of motivation. Conan doesn't have a character arc. Every Conan story should basically be "what crazy shenanigans does Conan get up to in this film"? He's a guy who left his homeland in his late teens because he was bored being a border guard, started out as a thief, graduated to a pirate, then became this mercenary fighter, then a warlord, and then finally king by his own hand. There are a ton of adventures waiting to happen.

One thing the movies especially kind of irk me about is Conan's intelligence. Conan was actually quite smart, he just wasn't "educated" in the traditional sense. But he was clever, had a good head for tactics, was cunning, could speak almost a dozen languages, etc. One of my favorite Conan quotes is as follows:

"I have known many gods. He who denies them is as blind as he who trusts them too deeply. I seek not beyond death. It may be the blackness averred by the Nemedian skeptics, or Crom's realm of ice and cloud, or the snowy plains and vaulted halls of the Nordheimer's Valhalla. I know not, nor do I care. Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."
Wow, yeah I remember bits of the original Conan from when I was a kid (like when he drunkenly punches a camel :lol:), I don't really have any experience with the character aside from that movie and a vague recollection of the animated series (and even that's mostly the theme tune). IIRC there was a sequence in the film where he was sent to the 'East' to be educated but I can't remember if that education was shown as anything other than swordsmanship. I also have a vague recollection of reading that Arnie had to actually loose some of his muscle for the part, something about his arms being too big for him to perform some of the sword choreography, whether that's true or not I don't know.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

*Whew.* Finally found my way back after several weeks of catch up. I phased out during the Disney section.

My son holds your disdain for Cars against you, Jab.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

The Crossroads

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CROSSROADS
First Appearance:
The Incredible Hulk #300 (Oct. 1984)

-The Crossroads is a strange otherdimensional world where the laws of physics do not apply, and acts as a nexus to various worlds. It featured in the Hulk book, where the Hulk was abandoned there by Dr. Strange because he'd grown too dangerous (which is... pretty much what caused World War Hulk, too). He went on a "Tour of The Realities" thing in the book (this reeks of "finding something unique to do"), before ending up back on Earth.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.