Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Kung Lao

Post by Jabroniville »

KUNG LAO
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat II
Total Appearances: MK II, MK3, MK: Deadly Alliance, MK: Armageddon, MK 2011, MK 11
Role: Secondary Hero, Guy With The Most Bitching Hat Ever
PL 9 (150)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Akrobatics 9 (+15)
Athletiks 5 (+8)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 2 (+14)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 9 (+11)
Expertise (Monk) 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 1 (+4)
Perception 4 (+7)
Ranged Kombat (Hat) 6 (+14)
Treatment 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Aim, Improved Kritical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Kritical (Hat) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown

Powers:
"Kung Lao's Bitching Hat" (Flaws: Removable) [10]
"Hat Toss" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Ricochet 3, Split 2, Indirect) (Extras: Ranged 4) (11) -- (12 points)
  • AE: "Moving Hat" Strength-Damage +1 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable 4) (5)
Teleport 2 (Feats: Change Direction) (Extras: Easy) (7) -- [8]
  • AE: "Whirlwind Kick" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
Features 2: Uses Tons of New Moves as Finishing Attacks [2]
"Babality"
"Friendship!!" (Rabbit Out Of A Hat)
"Friendship!!" (Throws Hat Like a Frisbee & a Dog Chases It Off Screen, Then Yelps in Pain Off-Screen)
"Animality: Cheetah Mauls Enemy"
"Vertically Slicing Through a Dude"
"Hat Decapitation"
"Hat Trick- Three Slices"
"Assorted Other Slices"
"Beat Them To Death With a Bunny Rabbit"
"Throws a Decapitating Bunny At The Enemy"
"Cuts Off Body Parts One By One"
"Turns Hat Into a Grounded Buzzsaw, Then Drags The Opponent Crotch-First Across It"
"Decapitation & Vertical Slice"

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Whirlwind Kick +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Hat Toss +14 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Moving Hat +4 Area (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +8

Komplications:
Responsibility (Earthrealm)- Kung Lao is one of Raiden's chosen defenders of Earthrealm against Shao Kahn's forces.
Responsibility (Pacifist)- A Pacifist who kuts people the f*** in half with his hat? Believe it. In some games (Shaolin Monks & MK 2011), he replaces this with Ego, as he's kind of a butthole about Liu Kang being the best fighter.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 16 (150)

-The early part of the backstory of Mortal Kombat says that Earthrealm's old defenders would have to win Mortal Kombat to prevent Earth from falling into the Outworld, and its greatest champion was Kung Lao, who reigned for years. It was this Kung Lao who was unseated and killed by Goro, resulting in nine straight Outworld victories, and the final chance for Earth. So it was somewhat fitting that Mortal Kombat II, in expanding upon the series' mythology, introduced a descendent of Kung Lao's, with the same name. Kung Lao is a member of the White Lotus Society (presumably no relation to the Avatar series, but can you imagine the horrors that would result from THAT crossover? Azula with freaking FATALITIES??), though he wishes he could just live a life of peace. Peace... in the Mortal Kombat Universe... not likely.

-Despite being the secondary protagonist of MK II, Kung Lao spent a lot of time out of the franchise- he was gone from MK 4 and Deception. This was probably due to the attempts at creating new protagonists. And hell, he wasn't even in EITHER movie, which is crazy when you consider than Rain & Ermac got to fight. But in any case, he got into Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks with Liu Kang, so he has a starring role to his name as well.

-Kung Lao is reimagined in the 2011 game as a bit of a horse's ass- an arrogant, hot-headed fighter who gets himself into trouble more often than not. He sneaks into the first tournament and challenges Scorpion, but is defeated, and then forced to watch Liu Kang fight as penance. In that game's version of MK II, he's just one of the group, but in a good bit of storytelling, defeats the returned Goro, thus gaining vengeance for his dead ancestor. Unfortunately, showing off during a fight against Kintaro, which he also apparently won, he had his neck snapped by Shao Kahn. This was what allowed Liu Kang the rage necessary to slay Kahn.

-Kung Lao then appears as one of Quan Chi's many undead servants, and is "just one of the guys", often fighting people like Raiden and Jax instead of the main heroes. He never regains his freedom, escaping back to Netherrealm at the end of the game. His relative, Kung Jin, fights in his stead. Kung Lao reappears in a younger form in MK 11, via Kronika's time-disruption, coexisting with his Revenant version. He allies with the heroes at various points, even beating his elder self... but acts like an arrogant tool again, and drowns in the Sea of Blood after Sindel or Shao Kahn defeats him. The Revenant Lao is killed by Shang Tsung snapping his neck.

-Kung Lao is one of the best Kombatants overall, nearly matching Liu Kang's overall prowess. He gets more expensive than the others thanks to his Hat, which acts as a Device (but not Easily Removable, since it just reappears on his head when he throws it away), and is thus separate from his other attacks' Array. He's fast and tough, and hard to hit, and his Hat can either Blast you or hit an Area, making him arguably the best Goonsweeper of all the Kombatants in the game- a handy thing in a real Kampaign.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Cyclops! MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAT!!! Liu Kang!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Heh- I just realized the irony in doing Mortal Kombat builds immediately following builds that start with the letter ”C” :).
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

You know, thinking about it, I have to wonder: what would have happened if EARTH would have won 10 Mortal Kombats in a row? We know that if Outworld won, Earth would get absorbed into Outworld and become part of Shak Kahn's empire, the same way Edenia was.

So if Earth had won 10 Mortal Kombats, would Outworld have been absorbed into Earthrealm? Would Shao Kahn been disposed of? Would all of the previously absorbed Realms be freed?

And while those mid-90s Video Game Cartoons tended to suck (the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers shows were infamously bad), the Defenders of the Realm cartoon was generally the least bad of the bunch. Though it had an awesome intro.

The Mortal Kombat Conquest live-action series was WAY worse tho, hilariously bad to the point of unintended humor. Phelous' reviews of the series is pretty entertaining. And if you enjoy it, he also does the cartoon.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Ares wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:35 am You know, thinking about it, I have to wonder: what would have happened if EARTH would have won 10 Mortal Kombats in a row? We know that if Outworld won, Earth would get absorbed into Outworld and become part of Shak Kahn's empire, the same way Edenia was.

So if Earth had won 10 Mortal Kombats, would Outworld have been absorbed into Earthrealm? Would Shao Kahn been disposed of? Would all of the previously absorbed Realms be freed?

And while those mid-90s Video Game Cartoons tended to suck (the Street Fighter and Darkstalkers shows were infamously bad), the Defenders of the Realm cartoon was generally the least bad of the bunch. Though it had an awesome intro.

The Mortal Kombat Conquest live-action series was WAY worse tho, hilariously bad to the point of unintended humor. Phelous' reviews of the series is pretty entertaining. And if you enjoy it, he also does the cartoon.
I think the most ridiculous thing about Conquest is that Scorpion is..a literal scorpion. That possesses people. Weridly, though, Conquest has some stuff that gets reused in MKX, like the Bee Women (which may be the inspiration for D'Vorah) and a character named Takeda (not the same guy, though, but they both have connections to Scorpion) And the Street Fighter cartoon was pretty bad, but it also had an amazing trolling line from M.Bison:
((to Chun-Li) "Yes, yes, I killed your father. What is it with you women, anyway? I killed my father too and you don't hear me whining about it!"
Jabroniville

Bo' Rai Cho

Post by Jabroniville »

BO' RAI CHO
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Total Appearances: MK: DA, MK: Deception, MK: Armageddon, MK X
Role: Forgotten Character, Suddenly-Returned Forgotten Character, Drunken Master, Funny Fat Guy
PL 8 (110)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Akrobatics 8 (+12)
Athletiks 4 (+6)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 11 (+11)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 1 (+13)
Perception 2 (+3)
Ranged Kombat (Fire) 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Equipment (Kane), Fast Grab, Improved Kritical (Unarmed), Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Powers:
"Puke Puddle" Affliktion 5 (Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Immobile & Defenseless) (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (7) -- [11]
  • AE: "Fart Cloud" Affliktion 5 (Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Immobile & Defenseless) (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Distracting, Limited Degree) (7)
  • AE: "Belly Bash" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
  • AE: "Fire Spit" Blast 4 (Diminished Range -1) (7)
  • AE: "Multi-Slap" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 2) (2)
Features 1: Uses New Moves as Finishing Attacks [1]
"Flaming Fart"
"Fire Breath"
"Belly Flop"
"Booze You Lose" (pours alcohol into enemy's mouth, then throws in a match, incinerating them inside-out)
"Bottoms Up" (alcohol makes enemy throw up their intenstines)

Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Kane +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Special Moves +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Fart Cloud +5 Area (+5 Affliktion, DC 15)
Puke Puddle +10 (+5 Affliktion, DC 15)
Fire Spit +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Komplications:
Responsibility (Shaolin Monk)
Power Loss (Moves- Lack of Alcohol)- Bo' Rai Cho must be at least a little drunk in order to use his Fire Spit technique.
Enemy (Baraka)- The two have been enemies for years. Cho's bio indicates that he's dealt with Tartakans before.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 13 (110)

-Bo' Rai Cho is an Outworlder who lives on Earthrealm, and has trained Liu Kang, Kung Lao and others in order to fight Outworld's forces. A standard Fat Drunken Master character, he's kind of an embarassment if you ask me. Though really, I was tired of these characters by the time Shun Di & Jin Chaolang were around, let alone by Deadly Alliance. That he's a farting, vomiting drunkard just makes it worse. Ed Boon created him to be a sloppy character and a teacher-type, both archetypes missing from the MK series. In an unexpected twist, the character was brought back for Mortal Kombat X as Downloadable Content, which is kind of a neat use of the medium, though I still dislike the character- it's good to bring back old forgotten characters once in a while (like Hwa Jai and Duck King suddenly appearing in King of Fighters years after they were last used).

-Bo' Rai Cho was a pretty simple character at first, but MK X has upgraded him with some Fire-themed moves.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Colossus! Cosmo! Cecilia Reyes! Cyclops!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:01 pm I have 2 lasting memories of Mortal Kombat

1) Last year of high school my friend's little brother, probably 14 at the time, had obtained the secret code to show the blood on the Sega version. The game shipped with the blood turned mostly transparent so you were punching "sweat" out of them instead of blood. Anyway we turned the blood code on and the little brother starts screaming "BLOOD! BLOOOOOOD!!!" If anyone had managed to get video of that, the game probably would have been permanently banned from the US

2) First year in college (probably the first week), I had followed my roommate up to some other kid's room where there was a crowd of people taking turns playing Mortal Kombat on the owner's system. I eventually got my turn and someone comes up to me while I'm playing and goes "Who are you?" I confidently replied "I'm Scorpion." He comes back with "No, who ARE YOU? Why are you here?" "Oh, I'm Shock. I'm here with Brian." "Oh, cool." Turned out it was his room.
LOL- oh, college. That lack of privacy and strangers just wandering in takes some getting used to.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Colossus! Cosmo! Cecilia Reyes! Cyclops!)

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:15 am I also really like the "variation" system that Mortal Kombat X introduced: Basically, each character has three different variants they can choose, giving them a small cosmetic change and some extra special moves depending on the variation. Like, Kitana has a "Mournful" variant where she can use Jade's staff, while the Xenomorph has a Tarkatan variation (coming from the Xenomorph tradition of them getting different forms depending on the host they were born from) where it can use their trademark wrist-blades, and a "Queen" variant where it can spawn alien eggs. Triborg, of course, is the most drastic, since his variations are Smoke, Sektor, and Cyrax, plus a hidden fourth one for Cyber Sub-Zero.
Ugh, things like that are always a total nightmare to stat, of course. It's basically a different form that unlocks slightly different moves, which means almost nothing in M&M, but of course makes for some vast differences in Fighting Games, which have a much larger amount of granularity in how moves work.
Jabroniville

Kai

Post by Jabroniville »

KAI
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat 4
Total Appearances: MK 4, MK Armageddon
Role: Nobody Who Disappears Quickly
PL 8 (114)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Akrobatics 8 (+12)
Athletiks 4 (+6)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 1 (+11)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Equipment (Ghurka Knife/Spiked Club +1), Fast Grab, Improved Kritical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Powers:
"Fire Ball" Blast 4 (Diminished Range -1) (7) -- [10]
  • AE: "Renegade Kick/Air Fist" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
  • AE: "Rising Heel" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: +1 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (2)
  • AE: "Hand Stand" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (-1 to Defenses) (1.5)
Features 1: Uses New Moves as Finishing Attacks [1]
"Headshot- Decapitating Fireball"
"Tears Guy In Half"

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Weapons +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Special Moves +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Komplications:
Responsibility (Shaolin Monk)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 13 (114)

-Kai is a member of the White Lotus Society (though he's Nepali instead of Chinese) who started palling around with Liu Kang, and he was obviously meant to be part of the "Earthrealm Defenders" stable of fighters, and a big part of Mortal Kombat 4. Hell, he even got Raiden's Lighting Staff in his ending, and was edited to keep it for the rest of the game once you "achieved" it! Unfortunately, he didn't really "take" with the fans, and so he vanished until the "Everybody Gets In" game. The poor guy didn't even get to be in Mortal Kombat X- his planned role was taken by Bo' Rai Cho.

-To befit his semi-important status, Kai gets boosted to PL 8, but he's not as uber as other guys who lasted for more than one game.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Kung Jin

Post by Jabroniville »

KUNG JIN
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat X
Total Appearances: None
Role: Sneaky Thief, Team Asshole
PL 9 (126)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Akrobatics 9 (+15)
Athletiks 5 (+8)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 2 (+14)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 9 (+11)
Expertise (Thief) 9 (+10)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 1 (+4)
Perception 4 (+7)
Ranged Kombat (Arrows) 4 (+12)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Equipment 2 (Bow & Arrow, Chakram- Blast 3 w/ Homing), Fast Grab, Improved Aim, Improved Kritical (Unarmed), Improved Kritical (Bow & Arrow) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Bo Flame" Blast 4 (Feats: +2 to Jumping Opponents) (Flaws: Source- Bow) (5) -- [9]
  • AE: "Stun Quiver" Affliction 4 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned) Linked to Arrow Damage (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Flaws: Source- Arrows, Limited Degree) (4)
  • AE: "Vampiric Quiver" Affliction 4 (Fort; Impaired/Disabled Moves) Linked to Arrow Damage (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (Flaws: Source- Arrows, Limited Degree) (4)
  • AE: "Fire Quiver" Blast +2 (Flaws: Source- Arrows) (2)
  • AE: "Air Dive Kick" Strength-Damage +1 (1)
"Babality"
"Friendship!!" (Rabbit Out Of A Hat)
"Friendship!!" (Throws Hat Like a Frisbee & a Dog Chases It Off Screen, Then Yelps in Pain Off-Screen)
"Animality: Cheetah Mauls Enemy"
"Kicks Their Head Off, Then Fires Arrows At It"
"Staff Blows Them Up"
"Shoots Heart Out Of Their Chest"
"Blows Up Upper Body With Cartwheel Attack"
"Breaks Neck With Bow"
"Fires Arrows Into Their Face"
"Immolating Fireball"
"Slices Ankle or Neck With Chakram"
"Bo Smacks Head Off"
"Bo Smacks Leg Off"

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Air Dive Kick +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Bow & Arrow +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Vampiric/Stun Quiver +12 (+4 Ranged Damage & Affliction, DC 19 & 14)
Fire Quiver +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Komplications:
Responsibility (Earthrealm)- Kung Jin is one of Raiden's chosen defenders of Earthrealm against Shao Kahn's forces.
Prejudice (Homosexual)
Reputation (Jerk)- Kung Jin speaks negatively even about his own team.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 21 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 14 (126)

-Kung Jin is the younger cousin of Kung Lao, introduced into Mortal Kombat X to act as a Replacement Character to the hat-wearing Kombatant. When Kung Lao died, Jin's family moved to the West and lost all their money, leaning Jin to blame Raiden, and become a thief. He let go of his resentment as an adult, however, and joined the White Lotus Society. In a neat bit, the game makers made him a homosexual, but ALSO made him a snarky asshole who openly disrespects Cassie Cage's leadership, giving him more of a character than a mere flawless "Token".

-Kung Jin is a newbie and a subordinate to the others, so he's primarily PL 8, but his "Fire Quiver" technique allows him to empower some arrows with extra hitting power, thus making him PL 9 with that one attack. It's somewhat clever, because he can either shoot regular arrows, or fire out Affliction-themed ones as well (in the game, the different kinds are there to shake up your opponent- in M&M, there's no real reason why you WOULDN'T simply empower the same arrows all the time.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
kreuzritter

Re: Kai

Post by kreuzritter »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:09 pm Image

KAI
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat 4
Ah Kai, the lonely Virgil of MK. or as they so accurately summed up during his ring entrance in Ultimate Video Rumble 3...

Kai walked out to a silent response. Even the crickets were quiet. In the eliminated seating, Annie Hamilton grinned; at least she wasn't the only complete unknown.

Finally, someone in the crowd shouted, "Who the Hell are you?!"

"I'm Kai!"

The crowd had no reaction.

"You know, the black guy from Mortal Kombat...?"

"You mean, Jax?" someone near the back yelled.

"No, I'm the other black guy from Mortal Kombat!"

"You mean Art Lean from the movie?" a different voice yelled.

"No, I'm Kai! Remember? Liu Kang's friend? Oh, forget it!" He shook his head and continued to the ring.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

that reminds me....why didn't we ever get Art Lean in one of the games?

And if Art Lean fought Captain Sawada, who would win?
Thorpocalypse

Re: TEST YOUR MIGHT!!

Post by Thorpocalypse »

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS...

We eagerly await Meat. 8-)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Art Lean

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

ART THE DEAD BLACK GUY (Art Lean)
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat (the movie)
Role: The Black Dude Who Dies First
PL 6 (67)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Akrobatics 6 (+11)
Athletiks 4 (+6)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 5 (+6)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Improved Kritical (Unarmed), Improved Trip

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Komplications:
Responsibility (Black Guy)- He is black, in a world where people often die. His days are numbered.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (67)

-oh, poor Art. He was an original character of the first Mortal Kombat film, and was designed to basically befriend the group in the "WTF is going on in this crazy tournament?" happenings, then got to be the first guy to take on Goro. It... didn't go well. Goro easily blocked all his punches, hammered him into unconsciousness, then gleefully murdered his helpless opponent, at which point Shang Tsung went all "Your SOUL is MINE!" and literally absorbed Art's screaming soul into his own body.

-My friend and I thought he should've gotten to at least be in an MK video game, even as a secret or Joke Character, because c'mon, poor guy totally got the shaft. Art is actually pretty decent, at least better than a Kommon Mook, but he's still nothing compared to a PL 9-10 Martial Artist, and would lose to anyone who actually made a full Mortal Kombat Video Game Appearance.
Jabroniville

Raiden

Post by Jabroniville »

He really does look BITCHING, though- you have to give him that.

RAIDEN
First Appearance:
Mortal Kombat
Total Appearances: MK I-II, MK 3 (only Trilogy), MK 4, MK: Deception, MK: Annihilation, MK 2011-11, MK vs. DC Universe (technically all of them)
Role: The God, Electrical Guy
PL 10 (191)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 5 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Akrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletiks 5 (+9)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 10 (+13)
Expertise (Arkane Lore) 11 (+14)
Expertise (History) 10 (+13)
Insight 5 (+10)
Intimidation 5 (+9)
Klose Kombat (Unarmed) 4 (+16)
Perception 6 (+11)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Ranged Kombat (Lightning) 5 (+13)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Kritical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Kritical (Fiery Hands), Improved Kritical (Cloak of Avoidance), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Takedown

Powers:
"Tele-Stomp" Teleport 5 (Feats: Change Direction) (Extras: Easy) (16) -- [21]
  • AE: "Shocking Touch" Damage 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (10)
  • AE: Lightning Blast 5 (Feats: Indirect 3) (13)
  • AE: "GET! BACK IN THE CAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR!" Flight 4 (32 mph) (4)
  • AE: Healing 6 (Flaws: Limited to Others) (6)
  • AE: Movement 3 (Dimensional Travel 3) (6)
"God" Immunity 11 (Aging, Life Support) [11]

"Babality"
"Friendship!!" (Miniature Raiden- Kidd Thunder)
"Animality- Electric Eel Blows Up Opponent"
"Fergality- Turns into Probe Ltd. Employee Fergus McGovern"
"Blows Up Head With Lightning"
"General Electrocution- They Explode"
"Blows Them Up With An Uppercut"
"Tears Out Opponent's Brain & Heart, Charges Them & Puts Them Back So They Explode"
"Just a Scratch- Blows Off Arms, Then Legs, Then Drops Them Headfirst"

Offense:
Unarmed +16 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Shocking Touch +15 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Lightning Blast +13 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +5, Fortitude +10, Will +10

Komplications:
Responsibility (Protecting Earthrealm)- As the Guardian of Earthrealm, Raiden has many terrible people coming after him and trying to invade and junk.
Enemy (Shao Kahn, Shinnok)
Relationship (Kung Lao & Liu Kang)- Raiden views the two like sons, and their deaths in the 2011 continuity leave him mortified and greatly saddened. "I would move heaven and earth" to return them to life, he claims.
Responsibility (Lowered Power)- Raiden is apparently much more powerful than this, but just how much is never really said. Certainly you'd expect Shao Kahn or somebody to be tough enough to beat him, but Kahn loses to guys like Liu Kang, so who knows?

Total: Abilities: 82 / Skills: 72--36 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 19 (191)

Raiden- Iconic Side Character/Mentor:
-Raiden is the wussiest God ever. Okay, so he takes 'mortal form' to take part in Shang Tsung's massive "The Tournament That Determines the Fate of the World", but c'mon, he's a freaking IMMORTAL GOD and he can still get all blowed up by a kiss from Kitana? LAME. Christopher Lambert absolutely owned the CRAP out of this role in the movie, becoming a massively-powerful side character who, due to throwaway plot elements, was helpless to act other than to make your standard "cryptic advice". And by owned I mean over-acted, because that's what Lambert always did, because HOLY CRAP he is an awful performer. Seriously, he's prone to hissing out his lines to seem more deep & thoughtful, but his innate presence carried him over some of the more stilted people. I can't believe he married Diane Lane... sure, she got vastly hotter the older she got post-divorce, but still. And yet Lambert was MUCH better than the guy who replaced him in MK: Annihilation.

-Visually, Raiden was based off of the three dudes in Big Trouble in Little China (though mostly the one guy who shot lightning everywhere)- he's got the coolie (harvester) hat made so iconic by that movie. Raiden is of course legendary for some of his insane random screams- the most popular of which is "Get back in the caaaaaaaaar!" for his Superman Flying move. Console versions up until MK4 would call him "Rayden", believed to be a result of copywrite issues with the Shooting Game Raiden,, and the burly Big Van Vader-lookin' guy from Fatal Fury. He's of course repurposed from the Shinto God Raijin, so neither name is really correct. And in spite of all the goofiness, and the fact that he's never been the main hero of a game, he's one of the series' biggest icons, has appeared in every game (though he nearly skipped MK 3 because of problems with his digitized-actor, who appeared advertising other games- see Johnny Cage).

Original Kontinuity:
-Raiden is a powerful God of Earthrealm, having fought the Elder God Shinnok millennia ago. In modern times, he took human form to engage in Mortal Kombat, though never won any of the tournaments- he appears to oppose Shao Kahn's armies, but is more of a side character. The movie reimagines him as a mentor/aide who cannot fight, but he renounces godhood in the second film in order to battle Kahn's forces in Outworld. In MK3's ending, he becomes an Elder God at last, but this makes him helpless to save Liu Kang from the Deadly Alliance- he immediately renounces Godhood again and fights them. He and the Alliance are all beaten by Onaga, The Dragon King, with Raiden nearly sacrificing himself to stop the villain. He animates Kang's dead body to use as a zombie-warrior, growing frustrated with Earthrealm's defenders, and makes an uneasy alliance with Shinnok in MK: Armageddon, being opposed by Kung Lao, Taven, and other heroes. His mission a failure, he witnesses the end of the universe.

New Kontinuity:
-The modern era paints Raiden in an EVEN WORSE light, as instead of "Just one of the heroes", he's a colossal idiot who's responsible for nearly everything that goes wrong. See, the ending of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon sees the entire world destroyed because of Mortal Kombat. Raiden thus sends a telepathic message to his younger self, warning of what might happen, and telling him to change history. And so Raiden takes command of the Earthrealm fighters in Mortal Kombat's 2011 reboot. However, "changing history" still results in nearly all of the heroes dying against Sindel and Shao Kahn. Liu Kang, disillusioned with Raiden's leadership after all the death, and enraged when Raiden figures that merging the realms (ie. allowing Shao Kahn to win) is the answer, since it will allow the Elder Gods to truly intervene, assaults Raiden as is ultimately killed doing so. Raiden is bereft at his failure, but his plan works- he is powered-up to full strength by the Elder Gods, and kills Shao Kahn.

-Unfortunately, the game's finale indicates that this was the plan of Quan Chi and Shinnok in the first place. Raiden aids the surviving heroes, and even leads them to victory against Shinnok, but the act of purifying the dark God leaves Raiden HIMSELF corrupted, and the finale of Mortal Kombat X sees him being set up as the future villain of the series!

-A new, darker Raiden tortures Shinnok in MK 11 before killing him, unleashing Kronika against the world. He leads Earthrealm's fighters against the Netherrealm again, annoying people with his callousness and dark edge, but a younger, uncorrupted Raiden suddenly appears. However, he himself starts acting corrupted when he tries to beat Scorpion & Liu Kang into obeying him... but stops, realizing that "this has happened before", as the timeline nearly always results in him fighting Liu Kang. Apologizing for his weakness, he figures that Kronika always sets things up this way, and changes his ways. He defeats the elder Jax (manipulated into serving Kronika), Geras & Frost, but when the Revenant Liu Kang fights him, he deliberately merges himself with both versions of Liu, forming "Fire God Liu Kang". This powered-up version of the hero eventually kills Kronika and her minions, setting things right- when they un-merge, Kang is still a God, while Raiden is mortal- the cost of his innovative method.

Raiden's Stats:
-Raiden is an elite PL 10 guy who costs a pretty penny thanks to all his Powers, Skills & Advantages- he's easily one of the top-tier guys on the side of good, while still retaining human-level stats thanks to the rules of Mortal Kombat. He's remarkably well-balanaced, with great accuracy, hitting power, and even a PL 9 Blast. With his powers fully unleashed, he's likely a PL 12 entity, if not higher.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

KorokoMystia wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:02 am
Ares wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:35 am You know, thinking about it, I have to wonder: what would have happened if EARTH would have won 10 Mortal Kombats in a row? We know that if Outworld won, Earth would get absorbed into Outworld and become part of Shak Kahn's empire, the same way Edenia was.

I think the most ridiculous thing about Conquest is that Scorpion is..a literal scorpion. That possesses people. Weridly, though, Conquest has some stuff that gets reused in MKX, like the Bee Women (which may be the inspiration for D'Vorah) and a character named Takeda (not the same guy, though, but they both have connections to Scorpion)
I'll be honest, before that review, I'd only caught part of a Conquest episode on TV once, which featured a character called Siro. At the time, I thought they were calling him "ZERO", as in short for "Sub-Zero" and that this show was about some weird hatless Kung Lao (which it was) and a Sub-Zero that mostly went around maskless. So I stopped watching it. Little did I know that it was actually even dumber than that, with this being a MK series set AFTER the first MK tournament the Great Kung Lao won hundreds of years in the past.

That show wasted a perfectly good concept. What it should have been about is several fighters from Earth gathering for this Mortal Kombat tournament, with a bit of mystery as to whom any of them are. You can have Shang Tsung secretly trying to mess up their chances to prepare, but without breaking the Elder Gods rules. That way, at the end of the season you have an MK tournament that takes up several episodes, with several of the good guys dying, only for the humble Shaolin Monk to win and reveal that his birth name is Kung Lao. He defeats Shang Tsung, becoming Mortal Kombat Champion, but with several of his friends now dead. And the second season could deal with the consequences of this.
And the Street Fighter cartoon was pretty bad, but it also had an amazing trolling line from M.Bison:
((to Chun-Li) "Yes, yes, I killed your father. What is it with you women, anyway? I killed my father too and you don't hear me whining about it!"
That and this one other bit where M. Bison was . . . very enthusiastic about Guile getting beaten up.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.