Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds! (Snowblind! Spider-Ham! Shellshock! Shiva!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Moana is pretty thickly-built, yeah. Her doll, the same height as those of other Disney Royalty, has arms and legs that are EASILY twice the thickness of Belle or Elsa's. That girl is in SHAPE.

What's funny is that she doesn't really do anything physically that, say, Pocahontas didn't- a lot of running & jumping, and "Tarzan Parkour".

I gotta say, I hope not everyone goes "well, let's compare it to Frozen", because that's just gonna break hearts in the end- you're not gonna strike that iron twice. Not easily, anyway. Look at Zootopia- it was a HUGE, monster success... and came $60 million short domestically, and about $200 million short globally. It actually made less money than the more kid-focused Secret Life of Pets! But still- INSANE numbers.

Frozen was as big as it was pretty much entirely by surprise. As I've gone into before, Disney had NO IDEA what they had on their hands there, which is why they ran out of Merch for the all-important rush once it became clear what was going on. It didn't hit the top of the box office until its third week (it came on the tail of a Hunger Games movie, and debuted alongside The Desolation of Smaug), and Disney pretty much figured Anna would be the most popular character. There's a cute bit in a "Bancroft Brothers" Podcast (two ex-Disney animators talking with their pals in the animation industry) where they're interviewing Brittany Lee, who designed the Elsa character, and she just started tearing up (apparently a common thing with her), going "I was working on her, and I just though... 'people are gonna lose their MINDS over Elsa'...". And let's not forget that it wasn't even the most successful movie THAT YEAR- both an Iron Man & Hunger Games sequel topped it easily, both domestically and internationally. While Frozen seems more omnipresent culturally (MERCH), other franchises remain bigger.

What Frozen has allowed for, however, is a Freight Train of Awesome to fully unleash itself (compare its total to Wreck-It Ralph, which also did very well- it's more than TWICE AS SUCCESSFUL, on all fronts). And FRANCHISING. Big Hero 6 seems to be the odd man out between Frozen & Zootopia's monster hits, but still did very well and is getting a TV series. Tangled, despite the Frozen Fandom rivalry, is still very popular, and is getting a TV series too. We're getting a Wreck-It Ralph sequel. AND a Frozen sequel.

So while I don't expect many movies to match Frozen's numbers (even Finding Dory, which actually did BETTER than Frozen domestically... to the tune of $86 million, actually... it didn't come close to the global total. And that has the universal power of FRANCHISING on its side!), I think the continued success of these movies solidifies an even more powerful, globe-dominating, international chain of successes. Cripes, they have a Toy Story 4 ready to come out at some point! Who knows what the Pocahontas Success-Killer will be? The new Giant-themed movie should do pretty well (it's got Frozen peeps on it), and with sister studio Pixar also hitting home run after home run... Disney's gonna basically rule the world.
Ken

Re: Sundown

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: SUNDOWN (David Patrick Lowell)
STRENGTH
0/12 STAMINA 0/12 AGILITY 1

Powers:
"Flying Brick" Enhanced Strength 14 & Stamina 12 & Protection 5 (57) -- [58]
  • AE: Growth 12 (Str & Sta +12, +12 Mass, +6 Intimidation, -6 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -12 Stealth) -- (48 feet) (24) -- [25]
Am I correct in assuming the 0/12 Strength listed represents his Growth Strength, not his Flying Brick strength?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I enjoyed Moana a great deal more than Frozen. But I've kinda got a weakness for anything even vaguely related to sailing... So watching Moana handle her boat (completely correctly as near as I can figure) was just worth the price of a ticket for me.

Although her knot tying technique is... odd.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Am I correct in assuming the 0/12 Strength listed represents his Growth Strength, not his Flying Brick strength?
Oh yeah, I should put a note in for that.

re: Moana criticism-

Like I said, it's minor stuff. Just small snippets of whining here or there. Stuff like this: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-ameri ... se-n685866 (ie. "BOO-HOO, they made the Pacific Islands look pretty, and didn't base the culture on any one thing!"). Hell, I think Frozen had more notable criticism before its release for having "Yet Another White Princess". I dunno if you saw the "Make Elsa Ethnic" meme or any of that, but it was out there. Never mind all the issues The Princess and the Frog had ("She's too ethnic- you're stereotyping us!" "Don't give her any flaws or you'll be accused of racism!").

95% of that kind of complaining never accomplishes anything. Hell, this year has seen a colossal backlash against it in MULTIPLE forms, some bigger than others. Studios are better off just ignoring that kind of thing.

---

The best "Knot-Tying" thing ever was in The Wire, when McNulty (who hates boats, and was stuck on a Police Boat as punishment for annoying a higher-up) goes to tie up the boat... he throws the most half-assed, incompetent "knot" in history, simply dropping a looped rope across a post a couple of times. He even gets called out on it by his superior :).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And yeah, we went over the "Body Types" thing with the Street Fighter builds, and I discussed most of the legendary "Tough Guy" wrestlers- almost none of them were Bodybuilder-Types. The universal contender for "toughest guy" was a squat, stocky Togan by the name of Haku. Bret Hart asserts that the toughest was Earthquake- watch him in this clip of an infamous match where it turns into a legit scrap between him and another huge guy, the former Sumo named Koji Kitao: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4nlN0mvXCc. Kitao was about 6'5" and over 300 lbs., and John "Earthquake" Tenta is NOTICEABLY LARGER. And certainly no bodybuilder- he was a big fat dude.

Similarly, Andre the Giant was legendary strong and tough. A mountain of a man. Most other legendary bad-asses like the Iron Sheik, Bob Backlund and more were usually "barrel-chested" rather than ripped.

Guys like Hulk Hogan were generally seen as preening egomaniacs, not legit tough-guys. Only a few bodybuilder-types, roid-monsters like Scott Steiner and Rick Rude (who once KO'd a man with an open-hand slap to the face), were considered that dangerous.

---

And just a reminder: I don't now squat about current video games, so I can't stat them :). And after three months straight of Video Game builds, then ANOTHER month of Fighting Game builds, I need to get back into superheroes for a good while. I don't imagine getting into another Fighter for QUITE a long time.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

The one thing that Frozen has going for it, and always had going for it, is two protaganists that are sisters, but are substantially different characters, but both have equal importance to the movie. One is more heroic; one has to learn more heroism, but neither is "the lead" over the other.

I haven't seen Frozen; I am specifically waiting until my nieces remember that Uncle Kenny hasn't seen Frozen, and sit down with him to see it.

I have two nieces (not counting a few not-actually-related people who call me "Uncle Kenn"), and they love Frozen. They love Elsa, and they love Anna. And they love that they are different, and they both identify with aspects of both of them. But because they, my nieces, are sisters they can play make believe, and one be Elsa and one be Anna, and there's no loss in stature. Neither one of them is playing the second banana.

But that's a combination, in a movie structure that's all but unheard of. The protaganists in The Parent Trap are twins who are so similar that it's a dual role played by one actress. The comparatively recent Charlie's Angels films had three lead female protaganists (as did the original TV series), but they a) weren't related and b) certainly weren't family or childrens' movies.

But a lot of little girls have a sister, or failing that, probably a best friend. And here's a pair of Princesses that they can pretend to be, and they can both be the Princess.

And, I think that was an aspect of the movie that probably helped fuel its success, particularly in the MERCH department, but an aspect I haven't seen mentioned much.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I should clarify, the knot that Moana ties is a perfectly serviceable one. But she does this thing where sort of... throws... the end of the line at the bit she's holding taunt, it then flips and loops around itself all politely and obediently. Like Indiana Jones' magical prehensile whip.

Still, if even a half dozen girls seeing this put down their Elsa dolls and sign up for the Sea Cadets I'm going to be a happy Batgirl. (You think their aren't enough women in STEM? Ha! Try finding women in the maritime industries that aren't cleaning ladies on cruise liners.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

S.H.O.C.

Post by Jabroniville »

S.H.O.C. (Todd Fields)
Created By:
Howard Mackie & John Romita, Jr.
First Appearance: Spider-Man #76 (Jan. 1997)
Role: Powersuit Guy
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (131)
STRENGTH
1/7 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Darkforce) 2 (+8)
Technology 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Darkforce-Powered S.H.O.C. Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [66]
Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Protection 6 (6)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
Elongation 2 (2)

"Shadow-Melting" Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity, Increased Mass 6- 3,200 lbs.) (Extras: Accurate, Extended) (48) -- (50)
  • AE: "Darkforce Claws" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) (2)
  • AE: Darkforce Blast 8 (16)
-- (82 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Powersuit +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Darkforce Claws +7 (+8 Damage, DC 24)
Darkforce Blast +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2 (+8 Suit), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Justice)
Weakness (The Suit is Killing Him)- Apparently the suit is, or was, fatally-damaging Todd's body, requiring him to stop being S.H.O.C.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 66 / Defenses: 11 (131)

-Todd Fields is the son of a HYDRA scientist who built the Sub-dimensional Human-based Occultechnic Conduit, a Powersuit powered by the Darkforce Dimension. The scientist was killed for his suit, and Todd was left with the keys to unlock the thing- he bonded with the armor and became SHOC, swearing vengeance on his father's killer. Years later, he teamed up with Spider-Man against Don Fortunato and other crime-bosses. He semi-retired after discovering that the suit might kill him, and disappeared from comics. 2005 saw him become one of many heroes killed and resurrected by The Hand into assassins (for Marvel Knights Wolverine), but eventually recovered.

-As S.H.O.C., Todd is a pretty normal Powersuit guy aside from Claws, a Teleport and Elongation- Cloak-like powers, befitting someone empowered by the Darkforce.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ah well, I'm sure you'll get into a build series of some sort later on that I'll be able to propperly enjoy. Never heard of half these guys, but that's not so surprising, I'm actually not much of a comics guy. Which is weird, considering the forum...
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:Ah well, I'm sure you'll get into a build series of some sort later on that I'll be able to propperly enjoy. Never heard of half these guys, but that's not so surprising, I'm actually not much of a comics guy. Which is weird, considering the forum...
Hah- what else are you into? Animes and what-not? Check my front page- there's a chance I statted it SOMEWHERE along the lines. Feel free to read & comment on those, though most are on different forums. Just post your thoughts here!
Jabroniville

The Snarks

Post by Jabroniville »

SNARKS (aka Zn'rx)
Created By:
Louise Simonson & June Brigman
First Appearance: Power Pack #1 (June 1984)
Role: The Recurring Foe, Reptiles Are Abhorrent
Group Affiliations: The Zn'rx Empire
PL 5 (53)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Expertise (Spacefarer) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+3 Size)
Ranged Combat (Blaster) 1 (+5)
Technology 4 (+5)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages: 
Equipment 3 (Rayguns)

Powers:
"Impressive Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed) -- (8 feet) [4]
"Cold-Blooded" Immunity (Heat) [1]
"Thick Skin" Protection 1 [1]

Equipment:
"Raygun" Blast 5 (Extras: Autofire) (15)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Raygun +5 (+5 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (+4 Size) (DC 15), Parry +6 (+5 Size) (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +5, Will +0

Complications: 
Weakness (Cold-Blooded)- Snarks are reptilian in nature, and become sluggish and sleepy in excessively cold weather. Freezing cold temperatures will kill them. Cold-based attacks do extra damage.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 6 (53)

-Okay, so the Snarks (really called "Zn'rx" because all aliens need apostrophes in their names) were the recurring enemies of Power Pack, being a goofy bunch of reptilian monsters when the Power children weren't fighting drug dealers or the child molesters or whatever. There were a bunch of them over the course of the book, being killed at various times, and they vanished once the Power Pack book died out. But hey, they're PL 5 Mooks, so they're handy. Their Rayguns aren't that powerful, but blast Multiattack style, and they have some reptilian advantages (Immunity to Heat, Size). 
Jabroniville

Secbots

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SECBOTS
Created By:
Chris Claremont & John Romita, Jr.
First Appearance: The X-Men #193 (May 1985)
Role: Sub-Elite Mooks
Group Affiliations: Various Government Bases
PL 6 (91)
STRENGTH
2/7 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Expertise (Goon) 5 (+5)
Insight 1 (+1)
Intimidation 4 (+4, +5 Size)
Investigation 2 (+2)
Perception 3 (+3)
Technology 2 (+2)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages: 
Equipment (Radio, Gear), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Guardsman Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [29]
Enhanced Strength 2 (4)
Immunity 5 (Radiation, Suffocation 2, Pressure, Vacuum) (5)
Senses 8 (Infravision, Sonar- Accurate Ultra-Hearing, Radar- Accurate Radius Ranged Radio Sense) (8)
Growth 3 (Str & Toughness +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) (7)

"Constricting Net" Affliction 6 (Strength; Vulnerable, Hindered & Impaired/Defenseless, Prone & Disabled/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition +2) (Flaws: Unreliable -2- One Use) (12)
-- (36 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Constricting Nets +5 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (+4 Armour, DC 14), Parry +5 (+4 Armour, DC 14), Toughness +3 (+6 Armour), Fortitude +3, Will +0

Total: Abilities: 22 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 48 / Defenses: 4 (91)

-The Secbots show up in only a single X-Men story- the one where James Proudstar leads a band of Hellions in an attmept at luring the X-Men & Charles Xavier into a deathtrap. They're just some high-end Mooks found in a government base- Rogue makes short work of the lot of them after they zap Nightcrawler with a Snare-Net Cable thingie. They're the Jobberiest Powersuit guys in history- even GUARDSMEN would be embarrassed to be these losers.
HalloweenJack

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sleepwalker! Stalker! Snowblind! Spider-Ham!)

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote:
HalloweenJack wrote:ever plannin on hitting DC's letters there Jab? Could be interesting.
GOD no. DC builds are a pile of misery to do, especially if you haven't read stories featuring the characters. Multiple continuities, power levels that are complete mysteries, online bios that have ZERO accessible information regarding stats, characters that go generations between appearances, and more. For example, I couldn't even do the Legion of Super-Heroes foes The Fatal Five (actual characters that have appeared FREQUENTLY over the years) due to a lack of information being available, even on Wikipedia and ComicVine! I was all ready to start doing those builds one time, then found NOTHING available except for the DC Adventures official builds of the characters! And when I realized that the only way I could stat them was to essentially completely copy an official source, I was like "NOPE- not doing this".

And that's the FATAL FIVE. I couldn't even imagine statting characters I'd never seen before!
Not as interesting as Terrordrome.......just saiyen brokarot
I have no idea what that is. And you ran out of "Request Points" when you made me stat that damn WWE Immortals game :p.

Maybe not today, and maybe not tomorrow, but maybe just keep it on the backburner. could be a fun change of pace someday when you're burned out on other things. Essentially its a fan-made fighting game made up of slashers and horror movie characters. Just something a little different. The Darkstalkers builds reminded me of it, and I'll grant you ....too soon......but hey, maybe down the pike.

I'll even say things about.....say....Dallas Page
HalloweenJack

Re: Shiva

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote:Image

SHIVA
Created By:
Larry Hama & Marc Silvestri
First Appearance: Wolverine #50 (Jan. 1992)
Role: Forgotten '90s Villain, Unstoppable Robot
Group Affiliation: The Weapon X Program
PL 10 (168), PL 12 (168) to Weapon X Members
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+12)
Expertise (Hunter/Tracker) 4 (+6)
Perception 6 (+5)
Stealth 10 (+14)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Tracking

Powers:
"Unstoppable Robot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude) [30]
Protection 10 (Extras: Impervious 9) [19]
"Self-Repair Systems" Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrowth) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Distracting) [6]

Senses 3 (Analytical & Infravision) [3]
Energy Blast 9 (Feats: Split) (19) -- [22]
  • AE: "Activate Neuro-Synthetic Implants for Cataclysmic Memory Backlash" Affliction 14 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Flaws: Limited to Weapon X Members) (Inaccurate -2) (5)
  • AE: "Electro-Magnetic Force Field" Force Field 4 (Flaws: Immobile -2) (1)
  • AE: Teleport 7 (Extras: Extended) (21)
"Activate Duplicate Robot" Immortality 10 (Flaws: Limited to At Weapon X Facility) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Energy Blast +11 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Memory Backlash +8 (+14 Affliction, DC 24)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will --

Complications:
Motivation (Capture & Destruction of the Weapon X Members)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 98 / Defenses: 6 (168)

-Shiva is a mindless automoton that frequently came after Wolverine and his Weapon X buddies in Larry Hama's "Wolverine" run- like Albert & Elsie-Dee, I have memories of reading these stories. ALL Shiva would say was "I am Shiva -- I am the destroyer!" and start coming after these guys. He almost had this "I can't be beaten the same way twice" thing, but rather than a Doomsday-esque Power, it was really just him learning from his past mistakes, and so you could say his PL was increased with each battle (ie. the reverse of every Spider-Man villain ever). He actually only showed up a few times (pretty much leaving when Silvestri did), so I think he was probably more related to his Image Era creator than anything else, though he was big enough to feature in the Wolverine Cards, as well as Marvel's Series III and the X-Men Series I sets like he was some kind of major entity. They cranked the HELL out of his stats to make him seem ultra-awesome (just like Bishop, Cable & Omega Red, other newbie characters in need Marvel wanted to push), getting a "6" in Strength & Fighting Ability, which is a bit ludicrous (he's not Colossus-strong, nor was he better than say, Black Widow or Iron Fist).

-My old Shiva build was a PL 11 fighter, but that honestly feels way out of tune nowadays- they haven't appeared in YEARS, and were generally minor menaces even then. There was a thing where they "learned" from past losses, so that you couldn't beat one the same way twice... but you could just use a different kind of attack next time and it didn't matter overly much to their stats. Shiva's high strength and varied powers make it exceptionally dangerous, even if it's a bit limited to Tracking & Killing.
I think he even showed up on the X-Men cartoons, but had a different name
Ken

Post by Ken »

So, is that "Shiva" like the Jewish week of mourning, or "Shiva" like the Hindi god?