Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Hoid

Re: Jab’s Builds (Alien & Predator! Kratos! The Exiles! Blink!)

Post by Hoid »

‘King Hyperion’? An evil version of Hyperion of the Squadron Supreme?

I thought the real Hyperion killed his doppleganger years ago, back in a storyline in the ‘80s?
Jabroniville

Sunfire (Mariko)

Post by Jabroniville »

SUNFIRE (Mariko Yashida)
Created By:
Judd Winick & Mike McKone (From Chris Claremont & John Byrne's Character)
First Appearance: Exiles #2 (Sept. 2001)
Role: Flying Blaster, The Normal One
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, The Exiles
PL 10 (154)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 3 (+4)
Deception 2 (+5)
Insight 1 (+4)
Perception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Attack (Plasma) 2 (+10)

Advantages:
Defensive Roll, Evasion, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Plasma), Improved Smash, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Plasma Generation"
Plasma Blast 10 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (27) -- [32]
  • AE: "Plasma Burst" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (20)
  • AE: "Plasma Steam" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (20)
  • AE: "Plasma Wave" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (20)
  • AE: "Melt" Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Ranged, Objects Only +0) (20)
  • AE: "Enhanced Aura" Plasma Aura +5 (20)
Plasma Aura 4 [16]
Immunity 10 (Radiation Effects) [10]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Senses 1 (Infravision) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Plasma Aura +7 (+4-9 Damage, DC 19-24)
Plasma Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Plasma Area Attacks +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Parents)- Mariko has stereotypical Oriental parents- they demand she learn the violin or piano, get only Straight As, and be the best at everything. All so she can get married and have babies.
Prejudice (Lesbian)- Morph, naturally, was the last to find out.
Relationship (The Exiles)- Mariko becomes close with her new teammates immediately- even Morph, who obviously still carries the torch for her.
Relationship (Mary-Jane Watson)- Mariko falls in love with the Spider-Girl of a dimension damaged by The Technis Virus. They are reunited long after their first meeting thanks to a trick of the Tallus, and spent several months together before Mariko was taken away again. She took a long time to get over THAT one.
Note: Alternate Universe Character- Characters from alternate universes are much easier to kill- failing a Toughness or Fortitude Check by 15 results in automatic death. In Mariko's case, she fails a check to breathe against being smothered.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 71 / Defenses: 11 (154)

-The Sunfire of Exiles was Mariko Yashida, but completely different from either the 616-Sunfire (a douchebag male) or 616-Mariko (a classical Japanese Yamato Nadeshiko housewife-type)- she's sort of the "Normal One" on a squad of intense heroes, multicoloured people and wacky types, despite being a lesbian. She's not as powerful as 616-Sunfire seems to be, being just a Standard Flying Blaster, and was a very solid member of the cast, despite having a less "extreme" personality type. Morph had a big crush on her, but kept it platonic since she was, y'know, a lesbian (one of VERY few in Marvel, especially at the time), and of course he was the most heartbroken when she was killed in a fight against a Brood-controlled Mimic. It was a very cute pairing, as he legitimately crushed on her, was deeply hurt when she turned out to be gay, but ultimately understood and was the most sensitive one when she was stuck "sliding" away from Mary-Jane, her greatest love.

-Her death (smothered by rubble when the team was fighting a Brood-controlled Mimic) was one of the big moments that soured me on the series, even though it was well-handled and it kept going with some fairly-epic arcs after this (King Hyperion and others). Even though she wasn't as dynamic as the rest of the cast, she was kind of a normalizing element that kept it from becoming "a team of weirdos". The fact that she was a better character than her 616-version ever was (Mariko OR Shiro, actually) made it all the worse. After this... some of the FUN was taken out of the series.

-For powers, she's basically Shiro-Lite, and fits the genre conventions of her type very well, right down to the weaker Defenses (trying to punch her isn't the best idea with that Aura, but one good shot and she's DONE).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hoid wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:33 pm ‘King Hyperion’? An evil version of Hyperion of the Squadron Supreme?

I thought the real Hyperion killed his doppleganger years ago, back in a storyline in the ‘80s?
It's a different, more evil version of that guy.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Hoid wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:33 pm ‘King Hyperion’? An evil version of Hyperion of the Squadron Supreme?

There's several versions from different realities, at least four of which have resided in the main/prime universe at varying times over the years.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

M4C8 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:32 pm

There's several versions from different realities, at least four of which have resided in the main/prime universe at varying times over the years.
Seriously - there's like 6 of them. It's a classic case of writer's "forgetting" about an older character and writing up a "new" version.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

and if you read Exiles long enough you'll get two heroic Hyperions vs King Hyperion.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Compared to other versions, how did King Hyperion act? A villain, I take it. And powerful, too. (Which is a d’uh, consider whom he’s a pastiche of.)
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

he was basically a murderous douchebag. kind of a smartass too.

Namora manages to break his neck at one point, and they think he's dead....he's not and pops his head back around the way it should be and comments that whenever he wakes up with a stiff neck he's always think of her.
Jabroniville

King Hyperion

Post by Jabroniville »

KING HYPERION
Created By:
Tony Bedard & Jim Calafiore (off of Roy Thomas & John Buscema's Character)
First Appearance: Exiles
Role: Flying Brick, Supermanalogue
Group Affiliations: The Squadron Sinister, The Exiles, Weapon-X
PL 15 (221)
STRENGTH
17 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12)
Deception 6 (+8)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 11 (+13)
Investigation 5 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Atomic Vision) 6 (+12)
Technology 2 (+2)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown

Powers:
"Flying Brick"
Power-Lifting 4 (50,000 tons) [4]
Immunity 10 (Life Support) [10]
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 19) [23]
Flight 11 (4,000 mph) [22]
Movement 1 (Space Travel) [1]
Senses 4 (Infra & Extended Vision, Extended Hearing 2) [4]

"Atomic Vision" Blast 14 [28]

"Super-Strength Feats" (AE of Strength Damage) [2]
  • AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 13 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Ground) Linked to Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (16)
  • AE: "Shockwave" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Both Grounded) (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+17 Damage, DC 32)
Groundstrike +13 Area (+13 Affliction, DC 23)
Shockwave +12 Area (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Atomic Vision +12 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +15 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +11, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Hyperion is nothing but a genocidal brute, casually deciding to rule every planet he lands on as a god.
Vulnerable (Argonite)- The rare element is fatal to his people.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 94 / Defenses: 11 (225)

-The King Hyperion arc was a great peak of the Exiles book, featuring one of Marvel's favorite tropes of the 21st Century: Superman With Problems. However, this was back when it was more clever and hadn't been done 90 times within a few years' time. This Hyperion was a jerk who ended up on the dark Weapon-X squad of reality-hopping guys, who, when given the mission from the Tallus... just decided to ignore it, figuring that he and his team could rule this world as GODS. He takes Ms. Marvel as a mate (suggesting to her that he'll lie with her "as often as I can, between other women") and slaughters the X-ers who try to stop him, and brutalizes those replacements sent to stop him. Several heroes on many worlds die by his hand, while he tries to prevent their missions from being carried out (since every time they are, the team automatically 'ports out), but ultimately he encounters the Exiles team.

-Hyperion is beaten by a clever move from Blink (who teleports his own eye beams into his own spine). Gambit sacrifices himself to blow Hyperion to pieces, but he regenerates within the crystal walls of the Panoptichron that gives the Exiles their missions- he murders many of the "Timebrokers" controlling it, and takes over the Exiles' missions. Hyperion executes both Namora and Holocaust (the AoA-era son of Apocalypse), and is nearly unstoppable, he is only beaten when Beak, the weakest of the Exiles, activates the "Weakest Teammate Always Saves The Day" rule of the Marvel Universe: realizing that he has full reign of all reality with which to recruit people, Beak simply grabs two GOOD Hyperions (because why stop at one?), including the Squadron Supreme Earth one (with the green glasses), and they manage to trap King Hyperion in his own dimension, which had been decimated of all life years ago (when humanity nuked him in at attempt at stopping his rule).

-However, King Hyperion showed up in the MAINSTREAM Marvel Universe, fighting the Winter Guard & Blue Marvel. Luke Cage signs him up for the THUNDERBOLTS PROGRAM, believing his story that he's a good Hyperion, replaced by the evil one. He is dosed by argonite by The Ghost, who uses nanites to deliver the toxic element, stopping him.

-King Hyperion is a savage, brutal version of the Squadron Supreme character, being powerful enough to EASILY an Alternate Hulk, Colossus, Namora, and any number of characters sent against him. Granted, the same "Alternate Universe Character" rule applies to all of those guys, but still- he's treated as a world-ender all by himself, repeatedly extinguishing multiple worlds of all superhuman life.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

he beat Namora and Holocaust in the second arc where he showed up. just a minor nitpick

I'm surprised you didn't mention his fight with Juggernaut
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Man, the Exiles had some REALLY boring and generic outfits. A really good clue of how disposable everyone was.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:14 am he beat Namora and Holocaust in the second arc where he showed up. just a minor nitpick

i don’t remember that ever happening. When was that?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:38 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:14 am he beat Namora and Holocaust in the second arc where he showed up. just a minor nitpick

i don’t remember that ever happening. When was that?
It was during King Hyperions time with the Thunderbolts. Juggy was depowered a bit and Hype was dominating the fight until King H busted his hand punching Cain's head, then Ghost activated the nanites with King H's Kryptonite, and then since he was now afraid, the Man-Thing's touch burned King H badly.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Namora (Exiles)

Post by Jabroniville »

Such... such mean, imperious bloobage...

NAMORA, THE SUB-MARINER (Namora McKenzie)
Created By:
Tony Bedard & Mizuki Sakakibara
First Appearance: Exiles #46 (June 2005)
Role: The Jerkass, Sexy Blue-Skinned Chick
Group Affiliations: Atlantis, The Exiles
PL 11 (178)
STRENGTH
12/13 STAMINA 12/13 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Aerobatics 3 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+10)
Deception 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Expertise (Atlantean Ruler) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Business) 6 (+9)
Intimidation 9 (+13)
Perception 7 (+10)
Ranged Combat (Atlantean Weapons) 6 (+11)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Attractive, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Favoured Environment (Underwater), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Last Stand, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Combat 5, Seize Initiative, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Winged Feet"
Flight 9 (1,000 mph) (18) -- [19]
  • AE: Swimming 11 (1,000 mph) (11)
"Atlantean/Human Hybrid"
Immunity 4 (Aging, Drowning, Cold, Pressure) [4]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

"Improved Underwater Stats" (All with Flaws: Limited to Underwater/When Soaked)
Enhanced Strength 1 [1]
Power-Lifting 2 (1,600 tons) [1]
Enhanced Stamina 1 [1]
Impervious Toughness 6 [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Underwater Unarmed +10 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +12 (+13 Underwater, +3 Impervious), Fortitude +12 (+14 Underwater), Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Ruling The Earth)- Namora is the ruler of Atlantis, and later the Earth of her timeline, which makes her the target of a never-ending line of usurpers.
Responsibility (Human/Atlantean Hybrid)- Namora's racial make-up often becomes an issue with her people.
Reputation (Bitch)- Namora is extremely impolite and impetuous, often threatening closest friends for minor slights.
Power Loss (Wings)- Namora can lose his Flight if the tiny wings on her feet are damaged or disabled.
Weakness (Lack of Water)- If left without water, Namora will grow progressively weaker. After a long period of time, she will becoming Fatigued, Impaired, Disabled, Stunned, etc. (in addition to dropping Strength & Stamina consistently).
Note: Alternate Universe Character- Characters from alternate universes are much easier to kill- failing a Toughness or Fortitude Check by 15 results in automatic death.

Total: Abilities: 90 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 26 / Powers: 32 / Defenses: 10 (178)

-Peculiarly, Namora was a BLUE-skinned Atlantean, despite being an Alternate Version of Namor (and not the mainstream Namora)- this made Exiles the only book on the market with TWO sexy blue-skinned pointy-eared chicks on it (and Blink was a sexy PINK-skinned pointy-eared chick!), and she wasted no time in being just as big of an ass as Namor was, if not WORSE. She apparently killed all of the superheroes of her Earth, leaving her as the sole ruler (remember what I said about Alternate Characters being easier to kill?). She was shown to care a BIT for her teammates in the end, but was still just a Disposable Buddy against King Hyperion, who flash-fried off half her body- as I recall, the team barely seemed concerned about her death.

-Their were two funny bits regarding her inclusion- Nocturne cracks a joke about how now their team has THREE characters who are girls with odd-colored skin hues and pointy ears (which is a pretty big coincidence, even for comics- sexy girls with blue or pink skin was hardly rare in the funnybooks, but on one team? And all with the same kind of ears?). The second is when they ended up on Mainstream Marvel Earth again, and she wastes no time in treating Reed Richards the way Namor of that Earth treated Sue. And Sue, of course, suddenly got all pissed off and huffy about it, getting angry at Namora's "cat that swallowed the canary" look. It was a funny turnaround.

-It's unclear just HOW tough Namora is- you'd imagine her to be Namor's equal, especially as she'd wiped out the entire superhuman population of her world, but of course they don't show HOW she did that- she could've just led an army to most of them, or they could have been weaker. She didn't seem that much more powerful than her teammates (like Mimic, who had to cheat to beat Namor in the past), and died easily to Hyperion. So I went with PL 10 on offense, and PL 11 on defense, with a small power-up when underwater.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Namora (Exiles)

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:43 am ImageImageImage

Such... such mean, imperious bloobage...

NAMORA, THE SUB-MARINER (Namora McKenzie)
I think you meant to say IMPERIOUS CHEST!!! ;)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum