Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
FuzzyBoots

Re: The Livewires

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:34 pm And yeah, a hillbilly face-rapist isn't exactly a serious villain to me. I can't imagine anyone not laughing when they hear about his gimmick.
Which is actually part of the gimmick. The heroes of the series don't take him seriously at first, treating him as a Deliverance punchline. Then, they find out that he's a serious threat after most of a team sent after him are quickly taken out.

And yes, the superhero names are very jokey and full of puns. I'm honestly kind of split on how much of it is an in-universe proliferation of heroes (they seem pretty omnipresent) causing the names to run thin and how much of it is just a somewhat silly universe taken seriously.
Jabroniville

Gothic Lolita

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

GOTHIC LOLITA
Created By:
Adam Warren & Rick Mays
First Appearance: Livewires #1 (April 2005)
Role: Android Super-Agent
Group Affiliations: The Livewires
PL 7 (123)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 7 (+12)
Deception 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+7)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Smash, Improvised Weapon, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Life Model Decoy"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 [7]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Quick Repair" Regeneration 2 [2]
"Team Link" Communication 2 (Mental) (Extras: Area) (Flaws: Limited to Other Livewires) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +7, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Vulnerable (Electrical & Magnetic Attacks)- Life Model Decoys are constructed of metals, leaving them more vulnerable to certain types of attack.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 7 (123)

-Gothic Lolita (named for a Japanese fashion subculture that focuses around dressing like a little girl... combined with gothic fashion. It's pretty unspeakably creepy for grown men to be fans of it and then draw it, but that's Japan for you) is the actual muscle of the team, despite being fairly small. I went with a PL 7 Powerhouse set-up, as the whole team obviously isn't that elite. In the end of the series, she was shredded by being thrown into an "electromagnetic launcher"- her fused remains are found by Stem Cell, and brought back to HQ for fixing.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:09 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:34 pm And yeah, a hillbilly face-rapist isn't exactly a serious villain to me. I can't imagine anyone not laughing when they hear about his gimmick.
Which is actually part of the gimmick. The heroes of the series don't take him seriously at first, treating him as a Deliverance punchline. Then, they find out that he's a serious threat after most of a team sent after him are quickly taken out.
case in point, here's the story where he first actually appears outside of flashbacks or nightmares, and explains the why and what he does to a trio of jobber villains who were looking for a "Team Up"
And yes, the superhero names are very jokey and full of puns. I'm honestly kind of split on how much of it is an in-universe proliferation of heroes (they seem pretty omnipresent) causing the names to run thin and how much of it is just a somewhat silly universe taken seriously.
it's worth remembering that the tagline/description for the series these days is "the silly superhero romantic comedy... except when it's not."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:34 pm Oh, right. Mindf*ck does make a bit of sense when you consider he rapes people's eyeholes, though, you have to admit :).
Yikes. I see where you're going with that but, yikes!

Mindf*ck was the psychic who could mess with people's minds, so her name was definitely a bad joke... but then all the names seem to be bad jokes. I think the challenge becomes finding the good names in that series.

Yeah, if I was introduced to the character with that description I'd be cringing at how stupid it sounds.
Because it sounds really exceptionally bad.

In the comic, at least for me, it didn't really come across as a joke. More like the genre suddenly swapping from superheroes to horror movies with Pete as the unstoppable killer monster.
Possibly designed to make the reader feel as uncomfortable as possible.

But now I just really hope the intent wasn't to make him into a joke character, because it would make me worry about the guy writing it. ;~)
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (Longshot! Mojo! Lockdown! Lectronn! Lynx! Lilandra!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:31 am Hey, Tekken fans, help me out before I forget to ask again- which characters have moves that would basically fit under "Powers"? I figure most guys have the +2 Damage "Special Moves" because of the game's hard-hitting fighting style, but which guys have stuff that is basically 100% impossible to do?

I'm thinking stuff like Multiattacks, Blasts, Energy Stuff, etc.

From what I can see with basic research, even guys like the Jacks barely ever do anything that a regular human couldn't do, albeit with some effort (though they have ST 5 or so, so they can throw guys HELLA-far). The Bosses tend to fire out Energy Beams, from what I can remember. But how many guys throw down with Street Fighter-tier moves?
Yeah, the bosses usually have laser beams or other projectiles and stuff, since they tend to be monsters or demons, and most of the bosses have Winged Flight too. (Azazel in particuarly is a huge-ass dragon-looking dude who can drop boulders on you or summon a swarm of crystal scarabs to attack you, as well as the usual lasers and a stun move) There's also NANCY, the giant robot sub-boss that has the usual stuff like gatling guns, rocket fists, ect. Alisa Bosconovitch can do some funky stuff since she's an android with stuff like jet boosters, chainsaws, rocket fists, and can take off her own head to use as a bomb. There's also Gigas, who is a really buff cyborg dude that might be even stronger than the Jacks, strength-wise.

And while it's not really something that's impossible in reality, Kazumi Mishima has the ability to summon her tiger to attack during a match.
There's also Eliza, who is a vampire that has the usual "Vampiric Drain" attack, plus a Dragon Punch and Blast that seem ripped from Morrison, and there's Yoshimitsu's ecosteric ninja moves as mentioned earlier.

It's kinda funny since you've got guest characters like Akuma and Geese Howard around (and even Noctis from Final Fantasy 15 for some reason), who of course still have their own special moves that they can use as usual. As a note, Kazuya in his Devil form can throw down with Akuma and not die (but not really win, either, just stalemate him)

And yeah, Tekken has a LOT of dudes that were either moveset clones or share the same fighting style, though some diverged over time. This is particularly noticable in the "Everyone Gets In" games. So yeah, templating should be perfectly fine, especially considering how many damn characters there are. I hope it's not too much of a slog..
Last edited by KorokoMystia on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squirrelly-sama

Re: Gothic Lolita

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:36 pm ImageImage

GOTHIC LOLITA
Created By:
Adam Warren & Rick Mays

-Gothic Lolita (named for a Japanese fashion subculture that focuses around dressing like a little girl... combined with gothic fashion. It's pretty unspeakably creepy for grown men to be fans of it and then draw it, but that's Japan for you)
A common misconception.

Gothic Lolita is a derivative of Lolita fashion, becoming popular in the mid to late 80s and early 90s as the economic depression the country face created a growth in counter culture. This also coincided with the emergence of Visual Kei bands, Japan's take on glamrock and hair metal.

Lolita fashion itself has unclear origins, though the name wasn't coined until the late 80s which was about a decade after it started. It bares a resemblance to English Girls fashion from the Victorian period which is likely why it was named such. Lolita fashions origins lies in the 60s with post war Japan's growing obsession with cute and "moe" style, as fashion started to tend towards Innocent and youthful. This was Otome Kei, or Maiden Style, which Innocent and girlish Western clothing such as sundresses and blouses. Out of this came Lolita precursor Doll Style which imitated Western China dolls and used less elaborate dresses. From this Lolita fashion was born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I dunno, it still seems like the origins were rooted enough in "looking very young and cute" to me ("Moe", in and of itself, is also highly focused towards young looks and behavior). Plus, it's a JAPANESE fashion subculture (in a society that worships youth), and the notes for it got so bad on TV Tropes that they had to nuke the page :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Hollowpoint Ninja

Post by Jabroniville »

I statted these guys without looking at their appearances. This guy does not look like how I imagined.

HOLLOWPOINT NINJA
Created By:
Adam Warren & Rick Mays
PL 7 (132)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 7 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Deception 5 (+7)
Perception 6 (+9)
Stealth 7 (+12)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Equipment 3 (Sword, Guns, etc.), Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Critical (Sword), Ranged Attack 4, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Life Model Decoy"
Protection 5 [5]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Team Link" Communication 2 (Mental) (Extras: Area) (Flaws: Limited to Other Livewires) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Sword +7 (+7 Damage, DC 21)
Guns +8 (+4-5 Ranged Damage, DC 19-20)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Vulnerable (Electrical & Magnetic Attacks)- Life Model Decoys are constructed of metals, leaving them more vulnerable to certain types of attack.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 7 (132)

-Hollowpoint Ninja's own description of his role on the team is short: "stealth, weapons, ambushes". He's the infiltration expert. He loses an arm and both legs during the fifth issue's battle with the White Whale, and is left at the base for the finale. This means that he's the one who explains to the rest of the team what happened at the base- the robots being ordered to kill their human bosses.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:02 pm I dunno, it still seems like the origins were rooted enough in "looking very young and cute" to me ("Moe", in and of itself, is also highly focused towards young looks and behavior). Plus, it's a JAPANESE fashion subculture (in a society that worships youth), and the notes for it got so bad on TV Tropes that they had to nuke the page :).
Eyeh, it is a very universal aspect of how we dress up women, an obsession with youth that gets disturbing if you look too closely. Just look at how two very common "sexy outfits" are cheerleader outfits and schoolgirl outfits. Outside of that, look at prior trends like puffy shirts with layers of crinoline, Mary-Jane shoes, or the flapper outfits involving bound breasts and short haircuts that resembled what a child might wear.

It is kind of funny how many of them are basically equipment builds. Wallflower will be a bit different, of course.
Jabroniville

Social Butterfly

Post by Jabroniville »

SOCIAL BUTTERFLY
Created By:
Adam Warren & Rick Mays
Role: Android Super-Agent, Intelligence Agent
PL 8 (133)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 7 (+12)
Deception 8 (+13)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 8 (+13)
Stealth 4 (+7)
Technology 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Life Model Decoy"
Protection 5 [5]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Subliminal Vocal Clues, Pheromones & Brain Manipulation" Affliction 8 (Fortitude; Entranced/Compelled) (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (Flaws: Hearing-Dependent, Limited Degree) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Social Interactions -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 8 (133)

-Social Butterfly's role is to extract information from people, which she accomplishes by multiple means- mechancial micromanagement of facial expressions and body language, subliminal vocal clues, artificial pheromones, and "force-field-induced direct brain manipulation", whatever that means. It all sort of fits "Fortitude-Based Affliction", which is modified by her high Presence and Interaction Skills. In the end of the series, she is the last of the team to fall, being sliced apart by monofilament wire- her remains are brought to HQ by Stem Cell.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:17 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:02 pm I dunno, it still seems like the origins were rooted enough in "looking very young and cute" to me ("Moe", in and of itself, is also highly focused towards young looks and behavior). Plus, it's a JAPANESE fashion subculture (in a society that worships youth), and the notes for it got so bad on TV Tropes that they had to nuke the page :).
Eyeh, it is a very universal aspect of how we dress up women, an obsession with youth that gets disturbing if you look too closely. Just look at how two very common "sexy outfits" are cheerleader outfits and schoolgirl outfits. Outside of that, look at prior trends like puffy shirts with layers of crinoline, Mary-Jane shoes, or the flapper outfits involving bound breasts and short haircuts that resembled what a child might wear.

It is kind of funny how many of them are basically equipment builds. Wallflower will be a bit different, of course.
It's not that disturbing, as a species we've evolved to find young healthy people sexually attractive, like all living creatures our 'prime directive' is to reproduce and the healthier the potential partner the better the chances of reproductive success, also given the life expectancy of humans for the majority of our existence it's not at all surprising that we're instinctively attracted to young people, millennia of ingrained instinct is not going to just disappear. Don't get me wrong, I am talking about young teens, those that are obviously post pubescent, not children. The 'teenager' is a relatively recent concept in our society and there are still parts of the world where both boys and girls are married off pretty much as soon as they're physically able to reproduce.
Last edited by M4C8 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

TVTropes is rather notriously terrible for information, while Wikipedia isn't that good of a source TVTropes is often heavily filled with bias with the only real checks against such entries being others with the opposite bias stumbling onto it and editing it the opposite way. While it is about looking young and cute the specifics of it mostly have it's aesthetics isn't about looking like a child so much as having a doll like appearances. Japans odd obsession with cuteness sort of resulted in things seen as "Childish" in the west to not be perceived as such to them, so while childish things my be cute cuteness isn't in itself something childish. At the very least Lolita and Gothic Lolita pre-dated the beginnings of the "lolicon" which fetishized it and grew naturally out of the nations fashion trends rather than starting out as fetish wear that just became popular outside of it.
Jabroniville

Stem Cell

Post by Jabroniville »

STEM CELL
Created By:
Adam Warren & Rick Mays
Role: Android Super-Agents
PL 7 (165)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 7 (+12)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+7)
Technology 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Life Model Decoy"
Protection 5 [5]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]

"Nanofactory Stomach" Variable (Weapons & Tech) 5 (Extras: Affects Others, Continuous) [45]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 94 / Defenses: 9 (165)

-Stem Cell is our Main Character in Livewires, acting as the Team POV as a new member, when previous member "Homebrew" is destroyed during a mission. She is left with some emotions, unlike the rest of the tea, because she is "straight out of the box", and I guess they didn't have time to fix her. She's later able to "hack into" her emotions, so that she can change them at will. A walking "nanofactory", she can create weapons and other technology from nothing at will- everything depending upon what her teammates need.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Jab’s Builds (Lynx! Lilandra! Lifeguard! Layla Miller! Livewires!)

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Oh, part of their standard package would be Communication or maybe Communication Link with each other. It was a big joke in one of the early issues with Stern Cell not realizing that her thought bubbles about her teammates were being broadcast as IMs.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Lynx! Lilandra! Lifeguard! Layla Miller! Livewires!)

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:30 am Oh, part of their standard package would be Communication or maybe Communication Link with each other. It was a big joke in one of the early issues with Stern Cell not realizing that her thought bubbles about her teammates were being broadcast as IMs.
NOW ya tell me :P