Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Ballz! Tomahawk! Titano! Tobias Whale! Silent Knight!)

Post by Jabroniville »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:37 am People don't talk about it very much, but the only way to hurt someone in a comic book universe is to break their skin. Everything from a boxing glove arrow to the hammer of Thor to a mountain range falling on you is completely harmless, and people just give up fighting after a while so that property damage doesn't get out of hand. Tobias Whale was such a bad guy that he refused to fall down and pretend to lose, which is considered the height of rudeness in superhero circles and the real reason that Huntress was so angry at him.
Yeah, I've mentioned before how comics has this weird way of discounting everything that's not a blade or a bullet. Guys like Electro, who SHOOTS LIGHTNING, does about the equivalent effect of someone punching a guy- the victim just shrugs it off and moves on. I'm like "... Electricity is DANGEROUS!" It doesn't just hit like a haymaker; that stuff goes THROUGH you, frying your internal organs and leaving burns! Never mind a super-strong guy punching a NORMAL HUMAN is treated as not that bad.

But of course, it's comics- things are only fatal and disabling to Regenerating characters and Alternate Universe people- everyone else is absurdly durable. Unless, of course, you have a sword or claws.

I always found it weirdest in situations where normal humans have to fight wild animals. Batman treats a Leopard like a dangerous enough threat that he has to immediately cheat to win. Daredevil responds to a pair of lions attacking him by GTFO out of there because he can't win. Yet both guys ROUTINELY fight people much stronger and more dangerous than a big cat.

It's just... comics. The only way to accept that it makes sense is to accept that it makes no sense. I remember when I was at a Con, and Chris Claremont joked about how Professor X's backstory in Egypt showed a ridiculously-dated version of the country, even though it's barely set "twenty years ago", and we agreed that you just can't think about stuff like that.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:58 am
RainOnTheSun wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:37 am People don't talk about it very much, but the only way to hurt someone in a comic book universe is to break their skin. Everything from a boxing glove arrow to the hammer of Thor to a mountain range falling on you is completely harmless, and people just give up fighting after a while so that property damage doesn't get out of hand. Tobias Whale was such a bad guy that he refused to fall down and pretend to lose, which is considered the height of rudeness in superhero circles and the real reason that Huntress was so angry at him.
Yeah, I've mentioned before how comics has this weird way of discounting everything that's not a blade or a bullet. Guys like Electro, who SHOOTS LIGHTNING, does about the equivalent effect of someone punching a guy- the victim just shrugs it off and moves on. I'm like "... Electricity is DANGEROUS!" It doesn't just hit like a haymaker; that stuff goes THROUGH you, frying your internal organs and leaving burns! Never mind a super-strong guy punching a NORMAL HUMAN is treated as not that bad.

But of course, it's comics- things are only fatal and disabling to Regenerating characters and Alternate Universe people- everyone else is absurdly durable. Unless, of course, you have a sword or claws.

I always found it weirdest in situations where normal humans have to fight wild animals. Batman treats a Leopard like a dangerous enough threat that he has to immediately cheat to win. Daredevil responds to a pair of lions attacking him by GTFO out of there because he can't win. Yet both guys ROUTINELY fight people much stronger and more dangerous than a big cat.

It's just... comics. The only way to accept that it makes sense is to accept that it makes no sense. I remember when I was at a Con, and Chris Claremont joked about how Professor X's backstory in Egypt showed a ridiculously-dated version of the country, even though it's barely set "twenty years ago", and we agreed that you just can't think about stuff like that.
Yeah, people think "lightning blast" results in a silly "I can see your skeleton and then you fall over stunned" bit from the cartoons, or that every electrical blast is like a stun gun.

And yeah, being able to fight Spider-Man should mean Daredevil would whip almost any land-based animal on Earth. Because no currently living land animal I'm aware of can heft 10 tons over their head or throw a 1 ton car across the street and two stories up.

In The Dresden Files series, Harry Dresden talks about that, actually. How in the comics, getting hit by someone with superstrength rarely does lasting damage to a normal person, whereas when he fights someone with superstrength, he has to have all of these safety measures in order to survive such beings. First step is try not to get hit. If Harry does get hit, he's always got either a magical shield or his impact-dampening leather duster on to cushion the impact, and then has to be careful about how he lands so as to not break his back. Even when Harry gets a mystical boost that lets him operate at Captain America-type physical levels, when he blocks an attack from someone who is superstrong, it breaks his arm.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jack of Spades

Re: Thriller

Post by Jack of Spades »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:58 pmI finally DID get a copy of the first issue a couple of years ago, and it's so mind-blowing nonsensical that I have literally no idea what was going on. It's one of the biggest examples of a book suffering due to lack of exposition, as it was just a bunch of STUFF going on with nobody explaining why it was happening. The kind of thing a proper editor should crack down on. But... it comes off as deliberately "artsy" and weird for the sake of weird, which is probably what got the book noticed at first.
Oh thank god. All these years I thought it was just me failing to appreciate the geniuses at work.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
squirrelly-sama

Re: Tobias Whale

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:54 am
Ares wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:23 am Oh thank God, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was stupid. I mean, I understand comics does similar things, where Kingpin can trade punches with Spider-Man, but then have to worry about guns and knives, but this was just stupid. Unless Huntress' crossbow was tipped in Inertron or laser-sharpened to the width of a single electron, I don't see them doing more than getting immediately stuck in that guy's flesh. Like, it might break the skin and enter the muscle, but it'd stop there.

I mean, it's technically possible that crossbow was JLU-designed to be able to send arrowheads through steel and the like, so maybe? But still, it's goofy.
The funniest part was her act of mercy being to dump a gigantic load of debris onto him, like that's better.
The cartoon was weird but from my experience all Western animation seems to follow the rule that blunt force damage is all non-lethal but anything with an obvious edge that isn't a batarang is deadly. Getting punched in the face by superman? Survivable. Getting hit by a throwing knife from down the block? INSTANT DEATH! Seriously, this is in everything, it's why anyone with knives never hits anyone but you got people surviving bolder shattering explosions to the face in Avatar. RWBY characters can shrug off getting punched by several ton of mecha and shot by snipers but a knife held at the throat is considered threatening.

The JLU cartoon also had a lot of downscaling for the stronger characters and upscaling for the ones who should be weaker to make them more balanced. It's honestly how I imagine a game of MnM to play out if it were animated.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The funniest stuff on JLU was the ORDINARY HUMAN characters repeatedly taking super-strong punches that sent them flying for half a city block, and then just stumbling up to their feet like that wasn't so bad. It was like at some point the artists just started power-geeking even guys like Vigilante and Crimson Avenger :).
Jabroniville

Tommy Tomorrow

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

TOMMY TOMORROW
Created By:
Jack Schiff, George Kashdan, Bernie Breslauer, Virgil Finlay & Howard Sherman
First Appearance: Real Fact Comics #6 (Jan. 1947)
Role: Science-Fiction Cop
Group Affiliation: The Planeteers
PL 8 (107)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Planeteer- Space Cop) 8 (+11)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Ray Gun), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Ray Guns), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Tracking

Equipment:
"Ray Gun" Blast 6 (12)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Ray Gun +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Justice)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 15 (107)

-Tommy Tomorrow is one of those "Sci-Fi Space Explorer" characters from an earlier era, though he's a good bit earlier than I expected- 1947 is Golden Age, not the '50s stuff I was expecting from the Adam Strange-class of character. Set in the futuristic time period of 1990, Tommy was a Planeteer before that meant you were an environmental genius (unless you were American, at which point you were dumb and needed to be taught everything), eventually just shifting into a Space Cop persona. The times were not kind to him, and he vanished around 1962, being a forgotten eyeblink. Later comics tried to link him to other things- he was revealed to be the alternate-future version of Kamandi since the Great Disaster that created the Jack Kirby character never happened after all (some fan wrote into Who's Who whining about this later, but they were like "Hey some good stuff had to die to make this unified world" and all- sound familiar?), and some Howard Chaykin turned him into some kind of Future Dictator in his Twilight miniseries that combined all of DC's various "Future Characters" into one tale. But really, he's just a goofily-named Sub-Par Adam Strange.

-A PL 8 Ray Gun guy, Tommy isn't nearly what you'd expect of a Space Cop. Modern times would probably make him more Jedi/GL-like, with super high-tech weaponry. Here he's just some dude with a gun. The same stats would fit Rick Starr, The Space Ranger- a rip-off of an Isaac Asimov character who was later bashed on "Conan O'Brien" as a DC character that sucked, alongside Ultra the Multi-Alien.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Martial Champion

Post by Jabroniville »

MARTIAL CHAMPION:
-As I've said many times before, the game Street Fighter II changed EVERYTHING. Defining the "Competitive Fighting Game" for all time, the game created a HUGE fad of "Me Too" game designers, each trying to be the first one to cash in on this new money-maker in various ways. Some more or less copied the series wholesale, while others added bits- Art of Fighting is borderline litigiously the same, but changed stuff like adding Super Meters and adding a Story Mode. Mortal Kombat hit huge by using ultra-violence and digitized graphics to make it look more "real" and violent (and itself spawned a legion of garbage imitators). Some used licenses from other things- we saw the Ninja Turtles, Jimmy & Billy Lee, the Justice League, and others all join the herd desperate for more of that sweet, sweet Fighting Game money...

And one of these... was Martial Champion. A game with the most generic name ever, and so unknown that I'd literally never heard of it until FuzzyBoots mentioned it- even THEN, people had to dig to find the name. This game came out in 1993, two years after Street Fighter II had hit arcades- it was technically Konami's THIRD Fighting Game, but the previous two were the simple affairs of '80s gaming (1985 & 1986)- this was a true Street Fighter Knock-Off, containing a weird cast of selectable characters who engaged in best two-out-of-three matches.

The buttons were handled differently from the Capcom fighter, however- it mimicked the control system of Konami's prior effort, Yie Ar Kung-Fu, with high, medium and low attacks on different buttons. The game features some of the "high-jump" extra stuff that Capcom later used in the X-Men fighting game. Also, a few characters carry weapons which can not only be disarmed, but USED AGAINST THEM. These are all pretty inventive variations on what had by this point been an established theme (this game's other contemporaries included The Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury), but weren't really major game-changers.

It frankly looks really terrible. Compare this to Neo*Geo fighters, especially Samurai Shodown, and it looks like barf, with bad character animations and weak, boring designs. "Guy in pants" is a design. "Guy with huge eyebrows" is another. The "static" animations are literally 2-3 frames at best, giving them a very herky-jerky appearance, despite the large sprites. Jin's Fireball knock-off just appears to come from his sternum while he leans forward- it's really bad. Avu, a Scimitar-Wielding Arab, instead of looking scary, is short and fat.

The game... wasn't a major hit. It was only ported to two consoles, and neither version left Japan- the PC Engine (Turbo-Grafx 16) and Super CD-ROM). The arcade machine did, but didn't even earn enough to get a sequel. And keep in mind this is a genre where WORLD HEROES received at least two. Fighter's History, best-known to history for being sued by Capcom for ripping them off so hard, earned two! Friggin' RISE OF THE ROBOTS, an infamously-terrible game, got one! But no- we never saw the continuing adventures of... Bobby, Jin, and Titi.

The cast of characters is equal parts inventive and utterly boring- one guy is just "Martial Artist in Baggy Pants" because people weren't quite used to thinking outside the box just yet. Notably, one guy is basically a Guile rip-off, because almost all the early Fighting Games felt that "Military Guy" was just such a necessary genre convention. Chaos looks pretty unique, at least.

THE CAST:
Jin- Ryu Rip-Off.
Bobby- Guile Rip-Off.
Mahamba- Spear-Wielding Kenyan (oh jesus)
Avu- Fat Middle Eastern guy with Scimitar.
Goldor- No relation to one of the Space Giants (or our fellow poster :)), he uses a three-sectioned staff as a weapon.
Hoi- Chinese Guy.
Racheal- Token Sexy American Blonde.
Titi- Egyptian Princess.
Zen- Kabuki Fighter from Japan.
Chaos- Chinese Jumping Vampire.
Salamander- Final Boss.

Power Levels:
-You would not believe the amount of thought I put into garbage like this, LOL. I mean, I'm experienced enough at building characters that at a glance I can usually surmise where a Street Fighter, Samurai Shodown or other SNK character would end up on the PL list. Their place in the story, their repeating nature in the franchise, their canonical victories, etc.- Haohmaru, Ryu and Liu Kang are former Champions, having beaten Final Bosses. Shang Tsung was once a Final Boss, but downgraded, as did Goro. Yun & Yang are more minor characters, but recurred after their SF III debut, so they at least earn SOMETHING.

But...

How in hell do you place guys from BAD games? Or SHORT-LIVED ones? Where does a Brutal: Paws of Fury character sit compared to a ClayFighter one? And Martial Champion is just a one-off, so its characters don't even earn the baseline PL 8 status of a World Heroes. PL 7 almost seems to high- that puts them on the level of minor SNK & Capcom characters like Axel Hawk, Juli, and Juni. Does this game's Ryu Rip-Off match up to the legendary might of AXEL HAWK? Entire FANFICS could be written about this!!!

Ultimately, I copied my Brutal builds and went with a PL 6.5 as the baseline. It's weaker than a bottom-tier Fatal Fury character, meaning they SUCK, but they suck one half of a PL less than a one-shot ClayFighter character like Helga, and about equal to the one-offs like High Five (the walking hand) or whatever. Importantly, I felt that they deserved one PL less than the standard Fighter's History character- those guys earned rounded-out PL 7 stats, as they were three games in that series.

One unusual thing is that every character can easily disarm their opponent with a few strikes, and then use that weapon with impunity- this means that the guys have high baseline Fighting scores, rather than lower Fighting and lots of "Close Combat (Unarmed)".
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (Tobias Whale! Silent Knight! Killer Moth! Martial Champion!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

While I enjoy all FIghting Game builds, the ones of terrible games are some of the most fascinating to me, especially when I've actually played them.
If I was running a campaign, I'd probably use hordes of guys from games like these as Mooks or something.
I swear that every time I look I find even more of these Street Fighter II knockoffs, though.
One that might be kind of notable though, is Kaiser Knuckle:

And that's mostly just because it has what is supposedly one of the most infamous bosses in fighting game history, The General.
Jabroniville

Jin

Post by Jabroniville »

JIN
First Appearance:
Martial Champion (1993)
Home Country: Japan
Role: The Ryu (All-Around Guy), Off-Brand Ryu
Vague Martial Art Basis: Karate
PL 7 (88)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Expertise (Travelling Martial Artist) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Fireball) 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Fearless, Improved Critical (Ho'o Ken), Improved Critical (Spinning Kick), Ranged Attack 2

Off-Brand "World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Off-Brand Fireball- Ho'o Ken!" Blast 4 (Flaws: Reduced Defenses 2) (Diminished Range -1) (3) -- [4]
  • AE: "Off-Brand Dragon Punch" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Dragon Punch +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Fireball +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Getting Stronger)- Jin, being the Most Generic Male Anime Protagonist, fights only to get stronger. If Jin wins, he finds it was too difficult- "I must get stronger for the next fight".
Weakness (Predictability)- Jin cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 5 + 10 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 10 (88)

-Jin, being a regular Japanese guy doing traditional martial arts, is obviously our "Ryu", though at least they kept him out of the gi. The problem is... they just stuck him in baggy pants and gave him a headband, and called it a day. I mean, SNK's graphical wizards can make someone look cool and bad-ass with such simplicity at times, but Konami was just lazy as hell, giving him plain hair and a generic face in addition to that uncreative outfit! His moves also look terrible- one is a jumping, ultra-wimpy-looking version of a Dragon Punch, where he pumps his fists repeatedly in mid-jump (looking like a kid who doesn't know how to fight). The other is a Fireball (complete with a near-"Hadoken!" cry)... but he doesn't really move his hands- he just kind of lurches forward and it blasts out from the middle of his body.

-Jin is basically a PL 6.5 version of Ryu, lacking most of the good stuff, but being more well-rounded than much of the cast, who is either faster or slower.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

I have no idea who these guys are. I'm very excited for them. I love rare fighting games.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Avu

Post by Jabroniville »

AVU
First Appearance:
Martial Champion (1993)
Home Country: Saudi Arabia (uses Iraqi Flag)
Role: The Stupid-Looking Fat Guy, Evil Arab
Vague Martial Art Basis: Arab Swordfighting
PL 7 (86)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Expertise (Arabian Stereotype) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Equipment (Scimitar +2), Improved Critical (Arabian Drill), Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 2

Off-Brand "World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Scimitar), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Arabian Burner" Damage 4 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) (Reduced Defenses 1) (4) -- [5]
  • AE: "Arabian Drill" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+2 Damage, DC 18)
Scimitar +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Arabian Drill +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Arabian Burner +4 Area (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Wife)- Avu is married, and greets his wife after winning the battle. It's implied that he bones her.
Weakness (Predictability)- Avu cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 7 + 10 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 10 (86)

-Avu looks REALLY stupid- an Evil Arab with a Scimitar, he should be built or at least ripped, but instead, they went with the "five feet tall and rotund" thing, turning him into a joke. He fights like a Fragile Speedster, but copying pretty directly the moves of Dhalsim (Yoga Fire) and E. Honda (Sumo Head Smash). I mean, at least they VARIED UP the awful rip-offs they were using. Curiously, though he's an Arab stereotype said to be from Saudi Arabia, his flag is that of Iraq's- methinks the creators didn't do their research properly. Humorously, his ending gives no motivation for him at all- he simply goes back home and greets his wife.
Jabroniville

Goldor

Post by Jabroniville »

Now THAT’S a curious character design choice.

GOLDOR
First Appearance:
Martial Champion (1993)
Home Country: France
Role: Weird-Looking Frenchman, Staff-Fighter
Vague Martial Art Basis: Savate (probably)
PL 7 (83)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Gol Wave) 6 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment (Staff +1- Reach), Improved Critical (Gol Wave), Improved Critical (Gol Barrier), Ranged Attack 3

Off-Brand "World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Staff), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Gol Wave" Blast 3 (Flaws: Reduced Defenses 2) (Diminished Range -1) (1) -- [2]
  • AE: "Gol Barrier" Damage 2 Linked to Protection 3 (Reduced Defenses 3) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Staff +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Gol Wave +9 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll, +6 Gol Barrier), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Rebuilding His Fighting Ring)
Weakness (Predictability)- Goldor cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 6 + 10 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 10 (83)

-No relation to our own favorite Space Giant, this guy looks REALLY stupid- Goldor is a Frenchman with a three-segmented staff (or sansetsukan), wearings a Chinese-style martial arts uniform... and has incredibly long hair, a receding hairline, and HUGE EYEBROWS. Like, WTF? Who looked at THAT and thought "People will want to play this"? It's just terrible! Goldor uses two Energy Attacks named after himself. One is a rip-off of the Power Wave from the Bogard Family in Fatal Fury (and guys like Geese Howard and the Iori/Kyo gang in King of Fighters), but hilariously wussy (it's about a foot off the ground!). The other is a "Gol Barrier"- a strange technique that basically guards his front and absorbs incoming attacks (like Projectiles), making it tricky to stat.
Jabroniville

Racheal

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImageImage

RACHEAL
First Appearance:
Martial Champion (1993)
Home Country: USA
Role: Karate Girl
Vague Martial Art Basis: Ninjitsu
PL 7 (116)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Deception 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 6 (+11)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Close Attack, Improved Critical (Shadow Attack), Improved Critical (Fire Attack), Improved Initiative, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 4

Off-Brand "World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Scimitar), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Fire!" Energy Aura 3 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Flaws: Distracting) (Feats: Inaccurate -1, Quirk- Lasts for 3 Rounds Max) Linked to Affliction 4 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned) (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Extras: Reaction +3) (Flaws: Distracting, Limited Degree) (Inaccurate -1, Quirk- Lasts for 3 Rounds Max) (15) -- [16]
  • AE: "Shadow Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) Linked to Speed 1 (2)
"Double-Jump" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 18)
Double Cross +9 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Nile Star +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Thrills)- Racheal loves action and excitement- a ninja attack is fun for her.
Responsibility (Ninja)- Racheal is hunted by ninjas in her ending on account of "revenge for your boss, isn't it?".
Weakness (Predictability)- Racheal cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time she tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, she will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 10 + 10 / Powers: 17 / Defenses: 9 (116)

-Racheal is actually very odd to me, in that she looks like a total throwback to an older form of anime- back when girls tended to be very "thick" and solid (the Rumiko Takahashi style, more or less), have chunkier hair instead of wild manes of it, and be wearing costumes more like this- less flashy, and more of a borderline-practical traditional-esque outfit. I dunno- it's just VERY "1980s Anime" to me, and it gives her kind of a nostalgic appeal that I like seeing... even though it's 1993 and this character is thus HORRIBLY dated.

-Her Ending features three shots of her in an INSANELY skimpy bikini- one of those sling deals where the bra part is kind of connected, but it shows off almost everything. The back shot cuts out so you can't see all of her butt, but there's of course three distinct shots of it.

-Racheal is a female ninja who uses a pre-Johnny Cage "Shadow" attack, where a long blue "outline" follows her in a wave across the screen while she charges. Humorously, her name is clearly pronounced as "Rachel" in-game, so I think they literally just misspelled her name in the game. Her style is athletic, as you would expect of the female character, as she does a cool sliding kick, hits a German Suplex as her throw (pre-Cammy!). Naturally, her big kick reveals that her trunks are basically thong panties, exposing each of her ass cheeks. She's the priciest character, having a Blanka-style "Stand there and blaze with energy" attack, which throws an Aura into a game that has nothing else like it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Bobby

Post by Jabroniville »

BOBBY
First Appearance:
Martial Champion (1993)
Home Country: USA
Role: Guile Knock-Off, Army Guy
Vague Martial Art Basis: Military Fighting Styles
PL 7 (93)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Expertise (Military) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Perception 4 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Fireball) 6 (+9)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Hell Slugger), Improved Critical (Bloody Screw), Ranged Attack 3

Off-Brand "World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Light Attack), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Staff), Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Hell Slugger" Blast 3 (Flaws: Reduced Defenses 2) (Diminished Range -1) (1) -- [2]
  • AE: "Off-Brand Hurricane Kick- Bloody Screw" Damage 2 Linked to Protection 3 (Reduced Defenses 3) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Hell Slugger +9 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Bloody Screw +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Orphans)- Bobby fights on behalf of some orphans, and is seen pretending to be Santa Claus in his ending, delighting the children and a nun who takes care of them.
Disabled (One Eye)- Bobby only has one eye, though this does not affect his ranged attacks.
Weakness (Predictability)- Bobby cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 5 + 10 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 8 (93)

-The early generation of Street Fighter knock-offs was interesting, because certain character archetypes were associated so strongly with the genre because of the example Capcom set, that it was sort of "assumed" that nearly every game needed an Army Guy, a Boxing Guy, etc. John Crawley in Art of Fighting and Bobby here from Martial Champion are some of the strongest relics of this era- within a couple of years, people realized that you didn't need to copy SFII's roster EXACTLY in order to make a game, and so "Army Guy" became one of the first standbys to drop.

-Bobby fights aboard the U.S.S. Missouri, with the guns sticking straight out at the viewer. He's a good-sized, burly guy, hitting with +3 damage, though I didn't really include the small brass knuckles with his damage, as I didn't want him getting too strong. He fights with a much quicker fireball than some do, as he more or less "punches" out a tiny, fast-moving little circle of energy. His other move is a Hurricane-Kick style Anti-Air move where he rises straight up with his boot up high.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Haha, wow- A glance at the casts of both Power Instinct and Rise of the Robots reveals a similar issue with both: unpopular, little-thought-of games that nonetheless have ENORMOUS casts that would require 6-11 days to stat out. Now that’ll be an issue when it comes time to do those. I fear dkending that kinda time on my thread over stuff that nobody remembers :).