Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Battalion

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

BATTALION (Alexander Lyons)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Kevin Maguire
First Appearance: Team Titans #2 (Oct. 1992)
Role: Drill Sergeant
Group Affiliations: The Team Titans
PL 9 (118)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Military) 6 (+9)
Expertise (Concert Pianist) 6 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Intimidation 7 (+8)
Perception 3 (+6)
Stealth 1 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Guns- Blast 6- Multiattack), Improved Critical (Guns), Ranged Attack 7

Powers:
"Enhanced Physiology" Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Guns +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Saving the Future)- The Team Titans came to the main timeline to kill Donna Troy. Having found another solution, they now are trying to find their place in this world.
Relationship (Donna Troy)- Lyons has feelings for Donna, but does not speak them openly.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 7 (118)

-Battalion is the leonine second-in-command of the Team Titans (OH MY GOD THAT PUNNY NAME), and generally looks to be the most-dated of the entire lot. I mean, THOSE SHOULDER PADS. THOSE GUNS! THAT CIGAR! He even has that weird mane-thing that a lot of '90s characters started packing for whatever reason- he's like a collection of bad Rob Liefeld artistic ideas. He finds his wife in the past timeline, but finds her engaged to marry another man- he considers letting the man die in an incident, but relents and saves both him and his wife, putting his feelings behind him. Though he eventually starts romantically pursuing Donna Troy, he is ultimately erased by Zero Hour.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Supergirl (Matrix/Danvers)

Post by Jabroniville »

SUPERGIRL II (Matrix/Linda Danvers, aka "Mae")
Created By:
John Byrne (Matrix), Peter David & Gary Frank (Danvers)
First Appearance: Superman #16 (April 1988- Matrix), Supergirl #1 (Sept. 1996- Danvers)
Role: Replacement Character, Flying Brick, Distaff Counterpart
Group Affiliations: The Teen Titans
PL 11 (214)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 9 [9]

"Wings of Flame" Flight 12 (8,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (25) -- [27]
  • Dynamic AE: Speed 8 (500 mph) Linked to Quickness 4 (Feats: Dynamic) (13)
"Eye Beams & Fire" Blast 12 (Feats: Variable- Laser Heat or Flame) (25) -- [28]
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 11 (22)
  • AE: "Fire Wave" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (22)
  • AE: "Protective Field" Force Field 8 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0, Ranged) (16)
  • AE: Teleport 10 (20)
"Matrix Form"
Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]
Concealment (Vision 4, Hearing 2) 6 [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Eye Beams +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Fire Wave +11 Area (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +12 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +8

Complications:
Responsibility (Angel)- Linda answers to a Higher Power. The Highest, in fact.
Relationship (Lex Luthor)- Matrix had fallen in love with Lex Luthor (reminding her of her own world's Luthor- her creator), and was frequently manipulated by him. When she uncovered that he was cloning her to make an army of "Supergirls", she went berserk and nearly killed him.
Secret (Linda Danvers)- Matrix has merged with Linda Danvers, a "Bad Girl" with a demon-worshipping ex-boyfriend and a host of other personal problems. In attempting to become more human, Matrix has complicated her life.

Total: Abilities: 92 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 96 / Defenses: 13 (214)

-Wow. Where to start with the "Matrix" era Supergirl? Well, her Titans run lasted only about five issues, so there's that (she joined that weird Arsenal team). She debuted in the Byrne-era revamp (you know, the revamp that saved Superman & DC... until everyone realized that in saving it, he'd also removed all that was beautiful from the Superman mythos, and it was all changed back about a decade or so later?), as a protoplasmic matrix of stuff created by an alternate reality's Lex Luthor, and did some running around in the mainstream DC Earth (yes they debuted an alternate reality only a few years after the Crisis WIPED OUT ALL ALTERNATE EARTHS, why do you ask?). Her world (and a benevolent Luthor) was destroyed by General Zod and his minions, and so she left it for the mainstream DC Earth, effectively being a replacement for Kara Zor-El, who died only three years earlier, during the Crisis.

-Her post-Titans history includes being written by Peter David, linking to Earth-girl Linda Danvers (because David immediately realized how stupid it was to write a series around a grey blob), becoming an Angel (with fiery wings & flame-vision!), and then doing some complicated crap I could barely read through on the Wikipedia-digest version... Matrix & Linda were separated, then Matrix hooked up and fused with an Angel named Twilight (becoming the "Angel of Fire" and then disappearing from comics), but then left the Supergirl powers & mantle to Linda, who tried to sacrifice her life to save a Pre-Crisis Kara Zor-El and ended up MARRYING that world's Superman, having a baby with him! She eventually retired the cape after returning to the mainstream Earth, having sent Kara back to her fate under The Spectre's orders. She got COMPLETELY forgotten about and replaced by a new Kara-Zor-El, which was where they should have always gone in the first place.

-So there Matrix sat, in a situation so complex that Dan Didio figured she was erased from history forever, and Geoff Johns saying she was not- she finally reappeared in the Reign in Hell stories for a little bit, but for obvious reasons (the "New 52"), she is now gone. Peter David still has a soft spot for the character, to the point where he is ABSOLUTELY OBSESSED WITH HER (like, to Steve Englehart & Mantis levels), basically attempting to write her into his Fallen Angels series before it left DC. He even went on to state that the character IS Linda Danvers, but that "I can't LEGALLY say so".

-Supergirl's a good Powerhouse fighter, a Flying Brick with extra tricks, such as TK and Morphing- she often changed power-sets slightly as she shifted forms (Matrix could Shapeshift, but with the Linda Merging, she lost that and gained the Flame stuff & Teleportation). She can hang with the Superman-class of people, but only ever-so-sligthly- she fights her own enemies most of the time, and in JLA/Titans, she got trounced by Zauriel pretty quickly.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Cyborg! Argent! Joker’s Daughter! Jericho! Terra!)

Post by Ares »

I'll never understand why they felt the need to retcon Terra II so much. They specifically mention that she was genetically engineered to be as close to the original Terra as possible, why did it need to be anymore complicated than that? She was from a failed timeline and stuck in the past. That's like the origin for a good 15% of the X-Men.

There's no reason for the whole "she was really a sleeper agent sent by an underground civilization" thing. Hell, Terra III could have just come up to Earth as that initial ambassador with no problem.

The Team Titans were also pretty one-note and so very 90s, but again, no reason for the whole "They were Extant Agents" thing. Again, they were from a timeline that Zero Hour destroyed, just have Waverider or somebody use their powers to save Mirage and Terra II, but they're the only ones close enough to be saved and the others get erased.

Though it's frankly a good thing so few of the Team Titans did survive, or they would have been prime fodder for Superboy Prime. Hell, the only reason I think Mirage survived was because she was a mom.

As for Matrix Supergirl, it's kind of hilarious how "Not Supergirl" she was, but oddly enough how very "Miss Martian" she wound up being. Seriously, in terms of personality and powerset she's very close to M'gann. You could swap them out and very little would need to be changed.

I gave Peter David's Supergirl series a try, but it really wasn't for me. It probably wasn't really a bad series, but it really had nothing to do with Supergirl. It kind of reminded me about how when Nu-52 Wonder Woman's book came out, and she was basically having these Hellboy-style adventures, and it just didn't feel right. The Supergirl series really should have been an original series from the word go. Or Hell, David should just re-tell those stories with slightly different names, get the concepts right this time without all of the DC stuff getting in the way.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The weirdest part about JLA/Titans to me is how prominent Supergirl is in the whole thing. I mean, she's in quite a lot of it, and takes the side of the Titans, even though she was BARELY THERE.

I can buy the Titans being a little pissed that The Atom didn't take their side, identifying more with the adults. Kyle Rayner being all "Come on, you're JLA now" is a terrific point- he thinks he's moved up and takes the side of the big names he desperately wants to fit in with. Wally West turning on the League and going "NOPE- siding with my childhood friends" is a GREAT moment. But then there's Linda Danvers flying around with flaming wings (WTF?!?) and being all over the big Hero Fight. It's weird, and looks even worse because only a handful of years later DC flushed her down the toilet like she never existed, which was EASY, since she never really got majorly involved with anything but her own David-written book, and DC then started doing a HUGE push for both Power Girl and New Supergirl instead.

Her level of character erasure is one of the most profound I've ever see, though. F*ckin' BEN REILLY didn't get hit by it as bad! DC is basically like "oh, this character never existed; don't worry".
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:20 am Kilowatt has the distinction of being the only Team Titans member to make it to the Teen Titans cartoon.
I assumed that was Battalion in that same picture.
Jabroniville

Re: The Team Titans

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:34 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:15 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:16 pm

WHAT IS THE SECRET OF HIS POWERS?!!!
I assume this is a reference to some very popular thing I don’t watch.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderb ... us_D_song)

The lyrics of the song tell the tale of the superhero Wonderboy (Black) as he forms an alliance with his lute-wielding arch-rival Young Nasty Man (KG) and forms the band Tenacious D. Wonderboy's powers are not revealed in the song but according to the lyrics we know that Young Nasty Man has powers that are "comparable" to Wonderboy's. Young Nasty Man has a variety of seemingly telekinetic powers, such as flight via levitation, "mind bullets" via telekinesis (with an apparent range of at least 200 yards and enough force to "kill a yak"), and "the power to move you". The song also mentions Wonderboy's castle made of clouds, the use of swords, and an attempt to destroy a hydra (The Mucky Muck Man), which is not seen in the video, but is mentioned in the song.[
See? I was right :).
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:24 am
Ares wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:20 am Kilowatt has the distinction of being the only Team Titans member to make it to the Teen Titans cartoon.
I assumed that was Battalion in that same picture.
Heh, no, that's actually a villain from the show called Control Freak. Basically if Arcade was about using TV Show inspired shenanigans instead of old school carny games.

And jeez, Battalion. Say what you will about the team vampire, Battalion has to be the most 90s thing to come out of DC. He looks like someone stuffed X-Force in a garbage disposal and he's the compiled remains that were too EXTREME to be chewed up.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Saddest thing about the Team Titans is some of the artists working on the book seem to be legitimately AMAZING. Like, look at that one Redwing pic, or the big Battalion one- those are HIGH-END drawings... but used on THESE characters.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I think in My Little Universe, I'd use Matrix as Supergirl for a bit, but have it become unbalanced for a while, obsessing and impersonating Superman, but Superman manages to help keep it under control and has J'onn help give it psychic therapy and honestly repress some memories and after a few years....well J'onn has a 'niece' so to speak.

which gets complicated when Miss Martian falls for Superboy, which Clark and J'onn will wonder about if its the leaked memories of obsessing over Superman or Matrix's attraction to Luthor (or both) coming to the surface.

edit: and I'll be...Ares even talked about this up above for a moment.
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

Ares wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:22 am As for Matrix Supergirl, it's kind of hilarious how "Not Supergirl" she was, but oddly enough how very "Miss Martian" she wound up being. Seriously, in terms of personality and powerset she's very close to M'gann. You could swap them out and very little would need to be changed.
Head Cannon accepted! Thank you House of M and Scarlet Witch!

Sorry I have a bunch of characters that I view as being changed by the event and not quite changed back afterward. In my mind Madcap (the crazy guy with the Super Healing factor) was retro'd into being Deadpool (The crazy guy with the super healing factor and weapons). Spoor of the Acolytes fondest wish was to be a bad ass and taken seriously. He got transformed into Wolverine's son Daken. And now this.

Though, this is more of a Power Girl situation, the universe trying to get a character from a previous incarnation to fit into the new reality.

Team Titans - Dagon:

A couple of notes: he could do the mist and Man-bat transformation, he didn't get ashed in the sun, and did actually contract a variant of rabies from feeding on animals instead of Lord Chaos' troopers in the past. He also had some interaction on his own with vampires in the 90's but don't quote me on that part (my memory is kinda hazy there).
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Hoid wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:58 pm Prester John is also a name from medieval European Christian folklore.
There's a Marvel character called Prester John based on that folklore.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Ares wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:22 am I'll never understand why they felt the need to retcon Terra II so much. They specifically mention that she was genetically engineered to be as close to the original Terra as possible, why did it need to be anymore complicated than that? She was from a failed timeline and stuck in the past. That's like the origin for a good 15% of the X-Men.
because 90's/early 00's DC kept waffling on the "or is she?" question, with one of her last stories being that there was some sort of test done that said "yep, she's the real Terra", although Geo-Force kept the actual result from her so that she could be free of her own baggage
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Ken wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:04 am
Goldar wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:25 pmI love that you always know the era of the comics, Ken! You have exceptional Time-Era Association! (That was a complement on National Complement Day)
Well, thank you. You have excellent taste in robotic life-partners.

I just wish I could use my powers for good instead of evil.
Well, being a little bad is good for the soul-self. :twisted:

Besides, you will always be a good guy to me.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidious wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:28 pm Sorry I have a bunch of characters that I view as being changed by the event and not quite changed back afterward. In my mind Madcap (the crazy guy with the Super Healing factor) was retro'd into being Deadpool (The crazy guy with the super healing factor and weapons). Spoor of the Acolytes fondest wish was to be a bad ass and taken seriously. He got transformed into Wolverine's son Daken. And now this.

Though, this is more of a Power Girl situation, the universe trying to get a character from a previous incarnation to fit into the new reality.

Team Titans - Dagon:

A couple of notes: he could do the mist and Man-bat transformation, he didn't get ashed in the sun, and did actually contract a variant of rabies from feeding on animals instead of Lord Chaos' troopers in the past. He also had some interaction on his own with vampires in the 90's but don't quote me on that part (my memory is kinda hazy there).
Oh, thanks! Added some "Metamorph" powers in :).
Jabroniville

Supergirl (Modern Kara)

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage
ImageImage

SUPERGIRL III (Kara Zor-El)- Modern-Day Version
Created By:
Otto Binder & Curt Swan
First Appearance: Superman #123 (Aug. 1958)
Role: Super-Heavyweight Fighter, Flying Brick, Miss Fanservice
PL 13 (289)
STRENGTH
18 STAMINA 16 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 2 (+6)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+5)
Perception 10 (+11)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Heat Vision/Freeze Breath) 2 (+10)
Technology 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Initiative 2, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Ultimate Strength Check

Powers:
"More Powerful Than a Speeding Locomotive" Power-Lifting 3 (50,000 tons) [3]
"The Girl of Steel" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 17) [19]
Immunity 11 (Life Support, Aging) [11]

"Heat Beam" Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (39) -- [44]
  • AE: "Heat Vision" Blast 14 (Feats: Extended Reach 2) (30)
  • AE: "Freeze Breath" Affliction 12 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Extra Condition) (36)
  • AE: "Freeze Cone" Affliction 12 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone, Extra Condition) (36)
  • AE: "Ground Pound" Affliction 12 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Burst +3, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) (24)
  • AE: "Super-Breath" Affliction 12 (Strength/Athletics; Hindered & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Both Must Be Grounded, Instant Recovery) Linked to Move Object 11 (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (Flaws: Touch Range) (34)
"Faster Than a Speeding Bullet"
Flight 18 (500,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (37) -- [41]
  • Dynamic AE: Quickness 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (17)
  • Dynamic AE: Speed 15 (64,000 mph) (Feats: Dynamic) (16)
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]

Senses 19 (Extended Vision & Hearing 3, Analytical, Infra, Ultra & Microvision 4, Vision Penetrates Concealment, Ultra-Hearing) [19]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Heat Vision +10 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Heat Beam +13 Area (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Freeze Breath +10 (+12 Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Freeze Cone/Ground Pound +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +12

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +18 (+10 Impervious), Fortitude +16, Will +6

Complications:
Power Loss/Vulnerable (Kryptonite)- Supergirl will lose all of his powers, and soon begin to die, if exposed to Kryptonite, the element of his dead homeworld.
Power Loss/Vulnerable (Red Sun Radiation)- Earth's Yellow Sun empowers Supergirl- without it, he will soon lose her powers. Red Sun-based energies will do much more damage to her.
Power Loss/Vulnerable (Magic)- Magic has a vague effect on Kryptonians- sometimes they're so vulnerable to it that a werewolf or something can hurt them- at other times, it just hurts a bit more than regular attacks would.
Power Loss (X-Ray Vision)- Kryptonian X-Ray Vision cannot penetrate lead.
Relationship (Superman & Batman)- Kara views the two as sort-of foster parents, who are nonetheless really controlling and mean sometimes.
Responsibility (Impulse)- Kara ends up in a lot of fights with other super-heroes.

Total: Abilities: 114 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 137 / Defenses: 11 (289)

-Man, they bungled Supergirl's modern debut pretty hard, in the end. The whole Matrix/Angel thing was stupid and all, and they SHOULD have "Superman's Cousin" return (it's bizarre that DC was so obsessed with making Superman "The Last Kryptonian" that even the CARTOON had to change her name), and doing a big arc with Michael Turner drawing pretty people and super-elongated women was a great concept. But that story STANK. Kara was kind of simpering and annoying, but it fit her teenage debut... but the rest of the story? Big Barda talking like a teenage snarker? Harbringer showing up with ABSOLUTELY ZERO EXPLANATION AS TO WHO SHE WAS? Wonder Woman going all axe-crazy at the end of one issue to "kidnap Supergirl" only to reveal in the next that "oh that was just a test"? DUMB. Then Darkseid brainwashes her, they fix things (after implying that Kara is even STRONGER than Supes), they fake her death, Superman flies Darkseid ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (!?!) and into the Source Wall, and then decide to just up and debut her to every superhero in the world on Paradise Island? WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD stuff.

-It doesn't help that Loeb Power Geeked the hell out of her in her ongoing series, too. The first issues were some of the most laughably-bad writing ever, as it was basically "Come along with Kara Zor-El- FIGHTIN' ROUND THE WORLD!!" Kara would meet up with a superhero, then randomly decide to fight them. The one where she met the Teen Titans and almost IMMEDIATELY started throwing punches was particularly ridiculous (especially taking over Wonder Girl's control of the Lasso). This was worse for Loebisms than even his Superman run- they Geeked her out HARD.

-Turning her into a giant sexpot was also pretty funny, considering that her book was once one of DC's big "This one's for girls" books (she had a freaking Horse sidekick for crap's sake)- she was sort of to girls what Superman was for boys (she even had the same personality of self-sacrifice and protection that Kal did), and now she was this super-scrawny, jailbaity character in a REALLY skimpy outfit (I REFUSE to believe for even one second that Ma Kent designed that for her). As someone else once said on the ATT- "they took a character that was for girls, and made her a character only for men."

-My Supergirl build is actually MORE powerful than the DCA one- she was treated for a good while like she was even STRONGER than her cousin, though it turned out that it was just because "he always holds back" (oh Loeb that had to have been you writing). PL 13 fits for her- a high-end Flying Brick who packs a ton of power, but not a lot of wisdom or skill.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.