Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Goldar

Re: Jab’s Builds (Terra! Supergirls! Kyle Rayner! Mr. Twister!)

Post by Goldar »

Mister Twister! Wasn't that a game! :lol:
Spam

Post by Spam »

Goldar wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:05 pm Mister Twister! Wasn't that a game! :lol:
Also a fishing lure.
Jabroniville

Warp

Post by Jabroniville »

WARP (Emil LaSalle)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & George Perez
First Appearance: The New Teen Titans #14 (Dec. 1981)
Role: Teleporter
Group Affiliations: The Brotherhood of Evil, The Society of Sin
PL 8 (147)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment (Armor +2), Improved Initiative 2, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass 4) (Extras: Easy, Accurate, Affects Others, Portal +2) (66) -- [67]
AE: Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity, Increased Mass 4) (Extras: Ranged, Easy, Accurate, Attack +0, Selective) (66)

Flight 4 (30 mph) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Teleport Attack +6 (+10 Teleport, DC 20)
Initiative +11

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+5 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 75 / Defenses: 11 (147)

-Continuing the Brotherhood of Evil builds is Warp, the team's Teleporter. He was generally there to talk French-like (a good "shorthand" for "this guy is a douche") and get the team out of trouble. His costume is... pretty lame- the big tube thing leading up to his head, and the cheesey 'stache, don't make him look very impressive. He was never anything but a backgrounder, and died in Salvation Run, powering Lex Luthor's teleporter to get the villains off a prison world.

-And of coursre, with all the Feats & Extras tacked onto it, Teleport can be an EXTREMELY expensive power, particularly when it's your main thing. For reasons that were never adequatly explained, Warp could also fly. He's pretty much only a team player-type, as his only ability to attack involves teleporting people in front of cars or underwater or something.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Spam wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:33 pm
Goldar wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:05 pm Mister Twister! Wasn't that a game! :lol:
Also a fishing lure.
And a song!

Er, uhm, no, that was the singer, Twisted Sister (Dee Snyder) of the Mister Twister! :lol:
Bladewind

Re: Kyle Rayner

Post by Bladewind »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:11 pm -Few characters in comics have ever been as controversial as Kyle Rayner. Me, I never saw it, but that's because I had little understanding of Hal Jordan. So to me, Kyle was the "rookie super hero" of the '90s, following the rest of the Justice League around, doing occasionally crazy-powerful things the more crack-induced the writer was in deciding what "creating anything" counts as (Mech Suit? No problem! Defillibrator? OK! Decompression Chamber? YES!
Most of that I think would be actually representative of application of Will behind the energy. Decompression chamber aside, a mech suit is just a manifestation of strength and blast. Putting up a battlesuit reinforces his belief in his abilities. The GLs that are able to blast or just wield a beam of light are the truly powerful ones as they don`t need goofy fists, mech suits, scaffolding or any other "construct" to represent their effects.

Don`t get me started about wrapping the moon. :x

Oh, and while I like the redesign of Warp in the second pic, his face seems rather odd for what that pic suggests....
Last edited by Bladewind on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Teleportation Attacks can be really dangerous, since you could not only take someone out of the fight pretty easily by just teleporting them out of the area, but also stuff like teleporting them several feet into the air, ect. And if Tele-Fragging is a thing (I recall that being an issue for Nightcrawler, to the point that he didn't want to teleport into locations he hadn't seen because he might teleport inside of an object or wall)..yeah, that's even nastier, like just eleporting somebody into the ground.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

KorokoMystia wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 pm Teleportation Attacks can be really dangerous, since you could not only take someone out of the fight pretty easily by just teleporting them out of the area, but also stuff like teleporting them several feet into the air, ect. And if Tele-Fragging is a thing (I recall that being an issue for Nightcrawler, to the point that he didn't want to teleport into locations he hadn't seen because he might teleport inside of an object or wall)..yeah, that's even nastier, like just eleporting somebody into the ground.
I don't remember which issue it's from but the Age of Apocalypse version of Nightcrawler was interrogating someone and to get them to talk he grabbed a couple of their fingers and teleports taking the fingers with him, I remember thinking 'wow if he was a villain he could kill almost anyone by beheading them'
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

A friend offline mentioned Warp gets his powers from his suit. Is that genuine, or just a mistake on my friend’s part? If it’s a suit, he could have repulsors or something worked into it.
Jabroniville

Plasmus

Post by Jabroniville »

PLASMUS (Otto von Furth)
Created By:
Role: Corrosive Guy
PL 8 (181)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 2 (+2)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Plasma Body"
"Corrosive Touch" Weaken 6 (Extras: Reaction +3, Continuous +3) (Flaws: Permanent) Linked to Damage 8 (Extras: Reaction +3, Continuous +3) (Flaws: Permanent) [84]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Insubstantial 1 (Feats: Selective) [6]
Protection 6 [6]
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrowth) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Corrosive Touch +8 (+6 Weaken & +8 Damage, DC 16 & 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Prejudice (Freak)- Plasmus is trapped in his glob-like, corrosive form.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 135 / Defenses: 13 (181)

-Plasmus has one of the more unfortunate power-sets for a super-villain to have, in that his TOUCH is FATAL, which means of course that he CAN NEVER USE IT on a super-hero, or the story's over. This means that he kinda has to putz around not hitting anybody, and instead just burn through bricks or metal or henchmen or something. He was a mine worker in East Berlin (oh, dated references) who was trapped by a cave-in- lethal radiation killed all of his co-workers, leaving him the sole, irradiated, survivor. A Mad Scientist then kidnapped him and turned him into a mutated freak, and he joined the Brotherhood of Evil as a result. He later murdered the scientist, General Zahl. He is seen being killed by Imperiex during Our Worlds At War as part of Lex Luthor's "Suicide Squad", but he showes up alive for no apparent reason in later stories, generally as a background guy- he dies again during Salvation Run, alongside Warp, powering Luthor's teleportation device.

-Plasmus is only PL 8, since he's usually depicted as being kind of plodding, but the sheer cost of a "Corrosive Touch" power that's an Aura and is always on no matter what makes up for it, giving him as expensive as a PL 12 build.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Phobia

Post by Jabroniville »

PHOBIA (Angela Hawkins III)
Created By:
Role: Emotion Controller
PL 12 (115)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+3)
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Psychiatry) 7 (+9)
Insight 5 (+7)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Daze (Intimidation), Fascination (Intimidation), Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Emotion Control" Affliction 12 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst, Selective) (Flaws: Limited to Fear) [24]
Linked to
"Greatest Fears Come To Life" Illusion 5 (Visuals) (Flaws: Limited to Greatest Fears) [5]
Linked to
Mind-Reading 10 (Flaws: Limited to Fears) [10]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Emotion Control +12 Area (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Phobia (Being Alone)- Angela greatly fears being left alone.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 11 (115)

-Phobia's the classic "Emotion Manipulator" member of the Brotherhood, being born with the powers, as well as the status of British aristocracy. A "bad seed", she rejected her family's wealth and forged her own path. Largely a side character, she's been seen allied with The Monocle, and also faced Tasmanian Devil in his own series. A later encounter with Raven made it seem like she might reform, but she mentally tortured the Marvel Family on Earth-S during the Crisis on Infinite Earths- The Atom freed Billy Batson from his mouth-gag, ending THAT threat. In more modern times, she faced Kate "Manhunter" Spencer in her critically-acclaimed (ie. low-selling) solo book, becoming a bit of a recurring threat, making the heroine face her own fears. As DC's most notable Emotion Manipulator (save the Psycho-Pirate, whose use is more limited), she is good for stuff like that- behaving much like Marvel's Nightmare & D'Spayre, who run about creating "Issues of Introspection", where we learn the fears of most major heroes. Unlike many of her teammates, her distinctive look is used in background scenes, so she appears in a LOT of "major stories" attacking groups of heroes as part of a villain army.

-She comes up brutally short in points cost, but she's got the best of the Emotion Control powers, and is really good at it, making her a dangerous team threat. The whole Brotherhood work best in concert for this very reason. The fact that she's PL 12 makes up for everything.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Hoid wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:54 am A friend offline mentioned Warp gets his powers from his suit. Is that genuine, or just a mistake on my friend’s part? If it’s a suit, he could have repulsors or something worked into it.
His powers came from his suit in the cartoon, where Warp was a time traveler as well as a teleporter. In the comics I believe his teleportation power was innate, though whether his flight power was innate or part of his armor is unknown.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

KorokoMystia wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 pm Teleportation Attacks can be really dangerous, since you could not only take someone out of the fight pretty easily by just teleporting them out of the area, but also stuff like teleporting them several feet into the air, ect. And if Tele-Fragging is a thing (I recall that being an issue for Nightcrawler, to the point that he didn't want to teleport into locations he hadn't seen because he might teleport inside of an object or wall)..yeah, that's even nastier, like just eleporting somebody into the ground.
Me (reading the D&D Manual): "Huh, the rules for Falling Damage are REALLY immense!"
DM: "Yeah"
Me: "Wait- you can teleport people as an attack, right?"
DM: "Yep"
Me: "So, can you just teleport someone a mile straight UP, and they have to take all that damage?"
DM: "... You're not allowed to play a spellcaster"

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought this :).

But yeah, the weird thing with guys like Warp is that they could end the fight INSTANTLY nearly every time- there are images of him just Teleporting guys away as an attack, and it effectively ends things. You'd really have no chance- it's a total game-ender. It's why almost no superheroes have that ability- even the Teleporters are limited in some way. Magik would do it... but mysteriously only affect Mooks and Backgrounders.
Jack of Spades

Post by Jack of Spades »

Having GMed a teleporter, the reason it only works on mooks and backgrounders is really simple: Dodge saves are dead easy for most people remotely near the teleporter's PL. And anyone with a movement power is likely to be back in short order.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jack of Spades

Re: Plasmus

Post by Jack of Spades »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:57 am-Plasmus has one of the more unfortunate power-sets for a super-villain to have, in that his TOUCH is FATAL, which means of course that he CAN NEVER USE IT on a super-hero, or the story's over.
I think you're overstating the case here, Jab. I remember several occasions where Plasmus got his hands on Donna or Vic, and while they were burned it really wasn't any worse than wrestling with the Human Torch (if the Torch also had super-strength and durability). It's just corrosive damage rather than fire.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, teleportation is one of those powers that needs some hard limits on it in order to not be a game breaker. In my own settings, superpowered teleportation usually has the following limits:

- You can only teleport into a medium as displacable as air or water. If you teleport into something more solid, like a wall or a person, you wind up getting shunted to the nearest available space.

- The amount of additional mass you can teleport depends on your power level, and you either teleport the entire thing you're touching or you don't. There is some wiggle room for objects that are separate, but you can't grab someone and teleport just their head off. You could grab someone's gun and teleport away with just the gun, but you wouldn't be able to take their fingers with you.

- Teleportation is influenced by gravity, which is why teleporters don't wind up in space when they teleport. Dense enough gravity can redirect or limit teleportation.

- Teleporting anything without touching it requires the opening of teleportation portals. Teleportation portals require some degree of effort to move through. If someone opens a portal directly beneath you, you would sink into is slowly ala quicksand, but be able to step off of it before falling through it if your reflexes are fast enough. If you're running and someone opens up a portal under your foot as you step down, that's enough forward momentum to push you through it.

- Being caught in a teleportation portal as it closes doesn't cut you in half, it merely shunts you back out of the portal depending on which side most of your mass is on.

- I've also got a general rule in my setting about effects that cause something to originate inside of something (creating a force field inside someone's head, opening a teleportation portal inside someone's chest) doesn't work.

This prevents Teleportation from causing any accidental deaths or simply doing things like teleporting someone's head off, teleporting someone to the moon, etc. At the very least it allows someone a chance to avoid the teleport effect by dodging the portal.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.