Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Bart Allen

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:24 amI remember the Impulse fanboys I knew at the time HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATING this turn of events- they immediately turned on the Teen Titans book, and never really recovered their fandom for it.
It's also true of the Impulse fans you met later.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:24 amBart would return shortly in the Legion of Three Worlds story, with Geoff Johns writing the resurrections of both Kid Flash and Superboy. It turns out that Brainiac 5 figured out that they'd need Bart in the future, and so they "saved" his essence- oh, and he'd have died in months from his returned super-aging anyhow, so his death was SUPER OKAY NOW. Kid Flash returns, bullying a panicky Superboy-Prime (who'd been foiled by Bart TWICE now), and rejoins the Titans in the past.
For a brief moment, after his resurrection, I felt like the Bart Allen I had known was back. I wish I could tell when Johns was doing things he wants and doing things he's told to do. But the return of the Toddler* Titans in the Legion of Three Worlds story was well done, where we learned that Brainiac 5 had been planning on things for months, and putting pieces in motion a millennium earlier.

"'Impulse'. It's not a codename; it's a warning."

* - Bart, like Kon-El wasn't really a teenager. His superspeed had caused him to age rapidly the first few years of his life.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Wonder Girl! Superboy! Steel III! Blue Beetle!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:27 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:21 am Haha, was it you who was like “no, no, you don’t understand. I came back to the Titans after years away and came across THIS.” as a point about justifiable character deaths? Like, Joe if fekt like such a drop that killing her and Baby was the only justifiable solution?
I'm not sure if I am for sure the reference but that is EXACTLY how I felt. I hated her immediately. Same with Wildebeest. I only wish Prime had done more than taken Risk's arm... :(
Oh yeah, I remember that. Someone was going on about how you can "save" certain characters, and you're better off reforming crap that just killing people off and removing them from the sandbox, and you were like "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND" and talked about that palpable sense of "what is THIS?" with the newbies.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Superboy! Steel III! Blue Beetle! Impulse!)

Post by Jabroniville »

These guys are weird- I find that there's enough "big names" left that I can post one per day, but MAN the rest are total dregs. At least someone like Animus has been read by SOME people here, and can draw some comments, because otherwise these last ten days of Titans builds would be a COMPLETE drag.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Seeing Impulse just reminds me of how Johns is actually similar to Bendis and Millar in the sense that they're happy to just completely re-invent a character from the ground up to suit their purpose. Now to be fair, every writer interprets a character slightly differently and focuses on different aspects of the character. Roger Stern was frequently good at stressing Superman's humanity while Loeb focused on his power and Morrison would focus on his Silver Age aspects (for good and ill). But at least these guys are looking at the character and finding some pre-existing aspect to focus on.

The trio I mentioned? They're plenty happy to just toss everything out and treat the character as if they were a brand new creation to make them work the way they want, quickly retconning things to get them to that point. Superboy goes from a kind of cocky smart ass with some hidden depths to someone angsting about his status as a clone. Impulse goes from a funny character with literal impulse control issues (and who realized that it was a problem) but who was also very clever at times, to a completely new character who was book smart and constantly quoting people.

I get that it sucks sometimes getting a book with characters you don't want to write, but Johns was the most powerful writer in DC at the time. He got the Teen Titans specifically because he wanted it and made those characters the way he wanted. For all the grief Peter David gets (deserved or not) at least the characters in Young Justice were at least kind of like the characters from their solo books.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Offspring

Post by Jabroniville »

OFFSPRING (Luke O'Brian)
Created By:
Mark Waid & Frank Quitely
First Appearance: The Kingdom- Offspring #1 (1999)
Role: Legacy Character (to Plastic Man)
Group Affiliations: Justice League Antarctica, The F.B.I., The All-Star Squadron, The Freedom Fighters, The Elastic Four
PL 8 (146)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+3)
Investigation 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+3)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Fast Grab, Ranged Attack, Taunt

Powers:
"Man of Plastic"
Immunity 40 (Mind, Fortitude Effects) [40]
Protection 8 [8]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrows Limbs) [5]

"Complete Structural Control"
Elongation 4 [4]
Insubstantial 1 (Feats: Precise) [6]
Movement 2 (Slithering, Safe Fall) [4]
Morph 4 (Any Form) [20]
"Big Mallets" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Mallets +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Imbecile)- Most people find Offspring annoying.
Vulnerable (Cold & Hot Attacks)- Offspring can be frozen solid and left unable to reform, or be heated to the point where he becomes liquid.
Vulernable (Acetone)- Acetone will melt Offspring's form.
Relationship (Plastic Man- Father)- Eel discovers that he has a teenage son at one point, and must learn to be a father.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 89 / Defenses: 7 (146)

-Oh yeah, I forgot about this guy. Offspring is the teenage son of Eel "Plastic Man" O'Brian, and of course gained some of his father's powers, having drank the same solution (but a watered-down version). His generic costume (more than a little like Invincible's Shapesmith) and status as appearing in a one-off for his debut insured he'd be a minor character. In the Kingdom Come continuity, he was depicted as a Joke Hero who'd accepted his lot in life (though his girlfriend wished more for him). He is vaguely related to the "Baby Plas" character that showed up in the Plastic Man comics and TV series of the late Silver Age.

-A son of Plas shows up in JLA, named Luke, where a big part of the story is that Plas fathered a son, then ran out on the family, fearing that he would turn out like his own father. Batman is shown to be disappointed greatly by this, as he always felt that Plas could have been the BEST father of the League (which sounds insane, given that Plas was literally nuts during much of the series). Luke is shown joining a gang, with Batman scaring him out of it.

-He showed up in Teen Titans #34, along with Zachary Zatara, as I guess Geoff Johns was trying for a Kingdom Come thing with many of his one-off Titans. Offspring joined the team during the "One Year Gap", with Johns explicitly tying the Offspring character to Luke for the first time, though some writers forget and call him "Ernie", necessitating an "it was his middle name" thing. Later, Offspring is shown as being one of the kidnapped ex-Titans as part of the Dark Side Club's superhuman-fighting ring.

-A very weak hero, Offspring is Plastic Man Lite in every way, hitting PL 7 with his Mallets, but PL 8 defensively. He's still pricey, given that Plas-types have a LOT of Immunities and side powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:21 am Seeing Impulse just reminds me of how Johns is actually similar to Bendis and Millar in the sense that they're happy to just completely re-invent a character from the ground up to suit their purpose. Now to be fair, every writer interprets a character slightly differently and focuses on different aspects of the character. Roger Stern was frequently good at stressing Superman's humanity while Loeb focused on his power and Morrison would focus on his Silver Age aspects (for good and ill). But at least these guys are looking at the character and finding some pre-existing aspect to focus on.

The trio I mentioned? They're plenty happy to just toss everything out and treat the character as if they were a brand new creation to make them work the way they want, quickly retconning things to get them to that point. Superboy goes from a kind of cocky smart ass with some hidden depths to someone angsting about his status as a clone. Impulse goes from a funny character with literal impulse control issues (and who realized that it was a problem) but who was also very clever at times, to a completely new character who was book smart and constantly quoting people.

I get that it sucks sometimes getting a book with characters you don't want to write, but Johns was the most powerful writer in DC at the time. He got the Teen Titans specifically because he wanted it and made those characters the way he wanted. For all the grief Peter David gets (deserved or not) at least the characters in Young Justice were at least kind of like the characters from their solo books.
Did David get a lot of grief? I only know people who LOVED Young Justice.

Johns & Bendis are indeed weird like that. They just invent new people, as I mentioned with Johns' Titans. Millar is even worse, because he just decides on "the event", and then crams the characters into whichever role he needs.

I'm still interested in writers being forced to do certain things by their editors. Editors using their power to "Ghost-Write" the books THEY want to read seems like an insidious problem in the comic book industry, as it's almost unfixable from a fan standpoint, and the writer takes ALL THE BLAME when a book sucks. Faerber writing a trash Titans book is something I held against him for years (to the point where I was like "Noble Causes? From THAT GUY? I don't care HOW good the reviews are!"), only to read about how the Editor forced the DEO Kids on him (if I could stand Linkara's voice, I'd totally watch his bit on those Titans. Does anyone just write down his stuff?).

Similarly, with my Bart Allen build, I mention how Marc Guggenheim was essentially give the assignment "Write a five-issue story in which Bart is murdered". Dan Slott, in a response to a friend of mine's complaining about the Black Cat turning evil, confessed that he wanted to turn her back to good, but Marvel wouldn't let him, as other writers fell in love with the "Felicia As Kingpin" story idea. The most famous example in all of comics, of course, is JMS ending his legendary, long run on The Amazing Spider-Man... by essentially being forced to write the dissolution of the Spider-Marriage at gunpoint.

It seems like it's taking the "Jim Shooter Role" of Guardian Of The Characters too far and basically having the Editors rule everything.
Ken

Re: Offspring

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:57 am
OFFSPRING (Luke O'Brian)
Created By:
Mark Waid & Frank Quitely
First Appearance: The Kingdom- Offspring #1 (1999)
Role: Legacy Character (to Plastic Man)

Offspring is the teenage son of Eel "Plastic Man" O'Brian, and of course gained some of his father's powers, having drank the same solution (but a watered-down version). His generic costume (more than a little like Invincible's Shapesmith) and status as appearing in a one-off for his debut insured he'd be a minor character. In the Kingdom Come continuity, he was depicted as a Joke Hero who'd accepted his lot in life (though his girlfriend wished more for him). He is vaguely related to the "Baby Plas" character that showed up in the Plastic Man comics and TV series of the late Silver Age.
Properly speaking, when Plastic Man vol 2. came out in 1966, the lead character was "Plastic Man II". His father had been the Golden Age Plastic Man, and Plastic Man II had gotten the same powers because he had drank the same solution. Now as an adult, Plastic man's son was the new Plastic Man. These versions of the Plastic Men were, it was decided later, native to "Earth-Twelve", the same reality that was home of the Freedom Brigade, the Inferior Five, and the DC comics versions of Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, and Bob Hope.

Baby Plas was the toddler son of Plastic Man and Penny from the Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show ('79-'81). Baby Plas showed up on Batman: The Brave and the Bold, 28 years later. Since that character's mother was named Ramona, rather than Penny, some consider it a different character. I look at them as the same character, different universe.

Given Mark Waid's reputation as a trivia junkie, and particularly a DC trivia junkie, I'm sure he was aware of Plastic Man II and Baby Plas (I) when he came up with Offspring. Since Offspring and Plastic Man II have the same origin (drinking the same solution), I'd say that Offspring is less 'vaguely related' and more of 'reinventing an old concept' for the new millennium.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:13 amSimilarly, with my Bart Allen build, I mention how Marc Guggenheim was essentially give the assignment "Write a five-issue story in which Bart is murdered".
The truth of the matter is that DC screwed the pooch BIG Time with the Flash family early in the Radium Age. Flash vol . 2 had had a good run. It had run for 230 issues, PLUS issue #0, #1/2, and #1,000,000, for a total of 233 issues. By comparison, The Flash vol. 1 (Barry's book) had run from #105 to #350, 246 issues. [Jay Garrick's run had been in issues #1-#104 of Flash Comics and issues #1-32 of All-Flash.]

Essentially, Wally's book had been almost about as successful as Barry's (Barry's lasted 4 years longer, and 13 more issues). But for whatever reason, it was decided that Wally couldn't be the Flash anymore. Despite there being a few generations of comics readers for whom Wally was the Flash. I suspect that it was part of the same reasoning that had led to Didio wanting to kill off Dick Grayson. (Bart became Flash at the end of Infinite Crisis, same place where Nightwing had been scheduled to die.)

Flash: the Fastest Man Alive pretty much tanked. Wally's fans were unhappy. Fans of Bart as Kid Flash weren't happy. Fans of Bart as Impulse weren't happy. Who DC was trying to appeal to wasn't particularly clear. Guggenheim was basically given the task of euthanising a book that was pretty much DOA waith issue #1. It's 13 issues happened between Flash vol. 2 #230 and Flash vol. 2 #231. It's not even considered "Flash vol. 3". Killing Bart, I believe, was basically a "let's erase the evidence of this mistake".

Flash vol. 2 ended at #246, making it an issue longer than Barry's run in vol. 1 by an issue. Or 4 if you count #0, #1/2/ and #1,000,000.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

haha, OMG- the What Happened? video series detailing video games gone wrong has an epic story about the making of Street Fighter II: The Movie: The Game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o2ZQTanCRY

Among the best notes:
* Despite the horrendous failure of the movie, and the critical drubbing in received, the movie is actually a BIG moneymaker for Capcom, who went in on it halfway, and thus get money every time it's shown on TV.

* The game was incredibly buggy and featured entirely broken moves (Balrog can REFLECT PROJECTILES?).

* Multiple game designers all wanted their "Say" (called "Feature Creep" in gaming parlance), but all were too new to the business to implement anything effectively.

* Despite being garbage, the game legitimately features big-name performers like Jean-Claude Van Damme (who was on TONS of cocaine during production of the film, which probably comes as no shock to anyone who watched his performance), Raul Julia and Ming-Na Wen. JCVD, however, only did a quickie routine for the animators and then left, while the actor playing T.Hawk actually WENT HOME after his scenes wrapped, which is why he was missing from the game.

* Captain Sawada was included because Capcom Japan LOVED HIM and wanted the actor to be this big deal mascot like Segata Sanshiro was for the Sega Saturn. So basically, he's the "Sentry" of the franchise.

* The bald-faced "this is like Mortal Kombat- play it!" nature of the game and it looking like ass resulted in an assured failure... and that was BEFORE they released it in the same timeframe as Mortal Kombat 3, Virtua Fighter 2 and friggin' Street Fighter Alpha, which means that Capcom kicked its OWN ass here! The game being embarrassingly weak before its closest contemporaries (especially one from the series it was so obviously aping) just doomed it... never mind that it was released several months after the movie had already bombed.

* The home versions for Saturn & PS-X (the 32X version was quickly scrapped) was more or less completely redone, with much worse graphics but two new characters (Blanka & Dee Jay's sprites weren't ready for the arcade), and in many cases, the PHOTOS being edited to more resemble traditional SF poses.

Shockingly, everyone involved with the game, from the companies to the head designers, still find work in the video game industry.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I never understood all of the fan enthusiasm for Bart Allen/Impulse!

Flash I, Flash II and Kid Flash, yes, ....but Impulse, no.
Jabroniville

Empress

Post by Jabroniville »

EMPRESS (Anita Fite)
Created by:
Peter David & Todd Nauck
First Appearance: Young Justice #16 (Jan. 2000)
Role: Teen Martial Artist
Group Affiliations: Young Justice, The All Purpose Enforcement Squad
PL 8 (132)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 7 (+9)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Music) 7 (+9)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+7)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Equipment (Emperor's Stick +2- Split), Evasion, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Stick) 2, Improved Defenses, Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown

Powers:
"Vodou Powers"
Teleport 8 (Extras: Extended, Accurate) (Flaws: Side-Effect- Nausea With More Than One Passenger) (24) -- [26]
  • AE: "A Piece of the Anti-Life Equation" Mind Control 6 (Flaws: Limited to Simple Actions, Hearing-Dependent) (12)
  • AE: "Scrying" Senses 8 (Detect Life- Ranged 6, Acute) (8)
Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Emperor's Stick +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Mind Control -- (+6 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Parents)- Anita's parents were killed, but she now guards them now that they've been reborn as infants.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 26 / Defenses: 13 (132)

-Anita Fite (... ANITA FITE? Oh, Peter David...) is the most forgotten character of Young Justice- she was the daughter of the member of an early band of YJ enemies called the All Purpose Enforcement Squad, and practised vodou (ie. voodoo). She debuts on the book saving Wonder Girl from a venomous snakebite. A man later kills both her mother AND her father, and she joins YJ in tracking him to a villainous hideout in Morovia- the parents are reborn as infants, with Empress becoming their guardian. That's, uh... basically the end of her as a character. Everything after that is just cameos- Infinite Crisis (where she's incorrectly colored as a caucasian), a Wonder Girl mini-series, and Final Crisis. Later, she appears in Supergirl, being blackmailed into leading Supergirl into a trap, lest her parent/children be killed- she turns on the villain and both girls beat them.

-Empress holds a piece of the Anti-Life Equation in her mind, giving her minor Mind Control powers, and is otherwise a solid "Vodou" practitioner, though it's apparently only been used for a tiny handful of stuff. She's actually fairly pricey, since she combines a Teleport and other powers on top of a decent Martial Artist build.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Empress was actually an interesting character but she was so badly under used and misused in many ways that we never got to see her full potential
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Man, I’m TOTALLY done with Young Justice. I gave thus show four episodes to impress me, and it’s just non-stop TALKING, with the plot taking forever to amble forward. I’m not watching this show anymore.

And who the hell looked at Dick Grayson and Kon-El’s designs and went “Yep. Let’s have these two characters interact out-of-costume constantly. That won’t be annoying or confusing at all if you’re unfamiliar with the show.”
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

hate to say it but youre missing out. first season is a bit slow but they really start building towards the season finale, the second season takes a darker more serious turn in invasion especially towards the end.

third seasons building off the second seasons ending and is also picking up its pace.

the shows use of various characters is really well done imo good mix of the NU52 with more established designs
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Ravager

Post by Jabroniville »

RAVAGER III (Rose Wilson)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Art Nichols
First Appearance: Deathstroke #15 (Oct. 1992)
Role: Martial Artist
Group Affiliations: The Teen Titans, The Ravagers
PL 10 (127)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10/12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+14)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Streetwise) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment (Swords +3- Improved Critical, Split, Bo Staff- Strength-Damage +2, Reach), Improved Critical (Staff), Improved Critical (Swords), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Limited Meta-Gene Precognitive Abilities"
Enhanced Fighting 2 (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [2]
Enhanced Dodge & Parry 2 (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [2]
Senses 5 (Precognition, Danger Sense) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Precognitive Fighting +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Bo Staff +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Bo Staff w/ Precog +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Swords +10 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Swords w/ Precog +12 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (+14 Precog, DC 12-24), Parry +12 (+14 Pregog, DC 22-24), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Relationship (Deathstroke)- Rose's father is a legendary mercenary and enemy to countless people- superhuman and otherwise. She has attempted to be a part of his life, but he would have none of it (wanting to protect her from harm). Eventually, this desire to be with him leads her down a dark and bizarre path.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 7 / Defenses: 16 (127)

Rose Wilson- Suddenly-Introduced Child:
-Rose Wilson was created mostly as a character in Deathstroke's solo series (remember THAT era? When every "cool" villain became a protagonist of his own series?), a long-lost daughter via a hooker archetype (a VIETNAMESE hooker, no less, just to be EXTRA stereotypical about it!), who of course inherits his meta-gene powers and all that jazz. So yes, apparently this platinum blonde Aryan Princess is actually half-Asian, not that you can ever tell, ever. Rose is targetted by Slade's half-brother, the new Ravager, and is rescued- unwilling to be a part of her life thanks to being genre-savvy (both of his sons were now dead, and his wife was insane), Slade left her with the Teen Titans (who, to be fair, at this point only had a death toll of, like, eight or so members instead of the ungodly number they have today). She ended up in the Titans for a whisper (The "Arsenal Team"), disappearing until the reboot in the late '90s, involving her challenging Big Barda to a fight in the Technic Imperative (sadly, we didn't see the result of that one), and becoming Lian Harper's nanny for about four seconds when they were just throwing absolutely everything at the wall to see what stuck during Jay Faerber's 2000s run.

Rose Wilson- Ravager:
-Modern times and Geoff Johns would provide a BIT more of a bonus to the character, as she became a true-blue Ravager who goes full-blown nuts in worshipping her father (previously, she tried to get to know him, but he always drove her away, fearing for her safety), carves out her own eye to be more like him, and ended up being the Breakout Character of that era of the Teen Titans books- acting like The Wolverine of her team, ie. the nasty, rude, possibly evil teammate. The fact that she was ultra-hot and played every "Bad Grrrrrrl" trope up to the hilt probably helped, too- she was like everything guys like about "Crazy Girls" amped up to fifty.

-It turns out that Slade injected her with the genetic enhancements that he received, and THAT'S what's making her so nuts, thus giving her some deniability over her crimes as Ravager. Deathstroke oddly chooses NIGHTWING to train his daughter, and Dick does so quite well... but also teaches her ALTRUISM as well, thus turning her into a bit of a hero underneath all the crazy. Finally, she realizes that her father truly cares little about her (Nightwing, enraged over the destruction of Bludhaven despite Slade's promise to leave it alone, reveals to Rose than Slade placed carcinogenic kryptonite inside her empty eye socket), Rose breaks it off with him completely.

-Rose, as Ravager, is thus now a Teen Titan following the "One Year Gap". More balanced and instead acting like a "Bad Girl" rather than a "Murderous Girl", she is snarky, sassy and dangerous. She strikes up a friendship with Kid Devil and a rivalry with Bombshell, but unfortunately what should have been a "Signature Member" of the Titans book instead kind of farted around and got misused, as was typical of the book at the time. She quit when the team started to distrust her, and would then sit on an ever-changing roster. She leaves and rejoins TWICE, I think, joining and then betraying the Terror Titans in the meantime.

Ravager's Stats:
-Ravager is actually a fearsome opponent in the end, getting training from Nightwing and packing some extremely high-end stats to her teenage frame. At this point, Rose is a PL 9.5 character.

ROSE WILSON (aka Ravager III)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman & Art Nichols
First Appearance: Deathstroke #15 (Oct. 1992)
Role: Martial Artist
Group Affiliations: The Teen Titans, The Ravagers
PL 8 (90)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 8/10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobaticgs 4 (+10)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Streetwise) 4 (+5)
Insight 3 (+3)
Intimidation 3 (+3)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment (Bo Staff- Strength-Damage +2, Reach), Improved Critical (Staff), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Limited Meta-Gene Precognitive Abilities"
Enhanced Fighting 2 (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [2]
Enhanced Dodge & Parry 2 (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [2]
Senses 4 (Precognition) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Precognitive Fighting +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Bo Staff +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Bo Staff +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (+11 Precog, DC 19-21), Parry +9 (+11 Pregog, DC 19-21), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Deathstroke)- Rose's father is a legendary mercenary and enemy to countless people- superhuman and otherwise. She has attempted to be a part of his life, but he would have none of it (wanting to protect her from harm). Eventually, this desire to be with him leads her down a dark and bizarre path.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 10 (90)

-This is Pre-Ravager Rose Wilson, so she's not truly pure elite yet (relying on the Precognitive abilities, which go in and out, to meet her caps), just a weak, under-Skilled & Advantaged PL 8 who's usually more of a PL 7. She can wipe out a few thugs, but any concentrated superhuman will beat her pretty bad. All her bios list her in this era as having "Superhuman strength, speed, and durability", but I'm thinking she's closer to peak human for a girl her size, since she's been depicted as nearly dying from some pretty run-of-the-mill shots before.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.