Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Eagle! Fulgore! Hisako! Eyedol! Gargos!)

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:08 am The Johnny Blaze version of Ghost Rider...really did NOT have many memorable villains, but somehow his book never got the same bad rep as other series with mostly lame, forgettable bad guys. A lot of his foes were visually striking at least, and pretty macabre, and of course having SATAN as your arch foe makes up for a whole lot.

The KI characters...wow, maybe its just because I never played the game, but they ALL seem like the equivalent of comic book "sketchpad" heroes and villains, without much in the way of motivations, personalities, and even "flavor" in their abilities/tactics. Never cared for Tekken, for the same reasons, in contrast to the much better realized core casts of MK and SF.

All my best.
The thing I noticed about Killer Instinct is the sheer number of "So the Generic Evil Corporation built these crazy-awesome Kill-O-Bots/Raptors/Fire Guys/Summoned Demons... and so they threw them into this fighting tournament because who f*cking knows"- like, it makes NO SENSE. At least Mortal Kombat has a mystical reason behind the tournament.
Davies

Post by Davies »

If all these characters first appeared in Ghost Rider/Blaze: Spirits of Vengeance #17, then their likely artistic creator was Henry Martinez.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:44 am If all these characters first appeared in Ghost Rider/Blaze: Spirits of Vengeance #17, then their likely artistic creator was Henry Martinez.
I think Marvunapp explained the issue thusly: he drew that issue, but the characters were largely "amorphous blobs" in the background, and only got FOCUS in the later issues, making it unclear who drew and designed what.
Jabroniville

The Painter of 1,000 Perils

Post by Jabroniville »

THE PAINTER OF 1,000 PERILS (Wilhelm van Vile)
Created By:
Stan Lee, Robert Bernstein & Jack Kirby
First Appearance: Strange Tales #108 (May 1963)
Role: One-Off Weirdo
Group Affiliations: The Avant Guard
PL 4 (81)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+2)
Expertise (Art) 8 (+8)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Magical Alien Paints" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [48]
Quickness 8 (Flaws: Limited to Painting) (4)
Summon Paintings 6 (Extras: Active, 16 Minions +8, Variable 2- Any Type) (Flaws: Limited to Paintings He's Made) (72) -- (74)
  • AE: "Revive With Paints" Healing 8 (16)
  • AE: "Paints Himself Powers" Variable (Any Power He Paints) 4 (28)
-- (79 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Quirk (Incompetent)- Despite being an artist, the Painter is prone to missing obvious details, such as the primary color of Boy Blue.

Total: Abilities: 20 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 48 / Defenses: 6 (81)

-Possibly the weirdest character with the greatest pedigree, "The Painter" Wilhelm van Vile (haha- oh, Silver Age) was a counterfeiter who... sucked at his job. Like, he painted the boy in The Boy Blue GREEN. THAT level of sucktitude. He was promptly caught and sent to jail. Wilhelm then begins a counterfeiting career as soon as he's released, but he can't replicate the details on cash properly, either- JOHNNY STORM of all people is able to see the mistakes, and throws him in jail.

-Naturally, because this is comics, the guy discovers a hidden crevice in the floor of his prison cell, which leads to MYSTICAL PAINTS that were left there by aliens. Now THAT'S a crazy coincidence. Wilhelm discovers that the paints allow him to make whatever he paints come to life, and obviously uses these powers to become a super-villain, with the catchy title of The Painter of 1000 Perils. He seeks revenge on the Human Torch, and temporarily stymies him until he's tricked into lunging for a "Fire Duplicate" Johnny created, and the Torch then burns his magical paints.

-Despite this all-star tour de force, the character does not recur very often. He only reappears MUCH later, having been taken over by sentient insects, then he uses magic to force two other characters (Spark & Bora, whom I've statted before) to harrass Spider-Man and the Torch. When he grows bored with the battle after they keep losing, the Painter turns them both into portraits and then kills himself via explosion (!?!). He later reappears as one of tons of bad guys in a supervillain detention facility, but is easily beaten by Spider-Man. All three of his appearances are more than twenty years apart from each other.

-The Painter is a low-level fighter who's more of a Minion Summoner. In Tony Isabella's Web of Spider-Man, he appears to have further mystical powers, apparently controlling Bora & Spark against their will, and rejuvenating them when they fall in battle.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

..Wow, when you can't even get the color of Boy Blue right..that's pretty sucky. Art-based powers are pretty cool, though, especially minion summoning/object creation simply by drawing/painting a picture, since there's a LOT of possibilities there, especially if used by someone familar with pop culture. Like, imagine someone savvy with comics just trying to summon Superman or something, though I image the resulting product would still be quite inferior to the real thing. Or, the guy should totally just paint himself a battlesuit to make up for his lack of physical prowess.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:34 am
greycrusader wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:08 am The Johnny Blaze version of Ghost Rider...really did NOT have many memorable villains, but somehow his book never got the same bad rep as other series with mostly lame, forgettable bad guys. A lot of his foes were visually striking at least, and pretty macabre, and of course having SATAN as your arch foe makes up for a whole lot.

The KI characters...wow, maybe its just because I never played the game, but they ALL seem like the equivalent of comic book "sketchpad" heroes and villains, without much in the way of motivations, personalities, and even "flavor" in their abilities/tactics. Never cared for Tekken, for the same reasons, in contrast to the much better realized core casts of MK and SF.

All my best.
The thing I noticed about Killer Instinct is the sheer number of "So the Generic Evil Corporation built these crazy-awesome Kill-O-Bots/Raptors/Fire Guys/Summoned Demons... and so they threw them into this fighting tournament because who f*cking knows"- like, it makes NO SENSE. At least Mortal Kombat has a mystical reason behind the tournament.
I believe the connecting thread of the first game's tournament is that it's like a demonstration expo. so a number of the fighters are meant to showcase whatever department of Ultratech created them in the hopes of securing further funding beyond their "prototypes".
Jabroniville

Death's Head (HOLY SHIT THERE'S A FIRST ONE!)

Post by Jabroniville »

DEATH'S HEAD I (Paxton Page)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Daredevil #56 (Sept. 1969)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliation: None
PL 8 (104)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 5 (+7)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+11)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Technology 5 (+10)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Sword +2, Bolas- Snare 4), Minion 2 (Horse), Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Powers:
"Cobalt Radiation"
Features 1: All Attacks Carry the "Radioactive" Descriptor [1]
Radiation Fireball Blast 8 (16) -- [17]
  • AE: "Imbue With Radiation" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Variable- Adds to Any Weapon Damage) (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Radioactive Punch +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Sword +6 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Bolas +8 (+4 Ranged Affliction, DC 14)
Fireball +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Karen Page- Daughter)- HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS, KAREN PAGE'S FATHER WAS A SUPER-VILLAIN!

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 18 / Defenses: 11 (104)

-Paxton Page debuted as the villainous Death's Head in 1969, where he... wait a minute.

-1969? Death's Head? That makes him Death's Head I. Which means the guy from Transformers, who later went on to other Marvel stuff because they actually owned that trademark... was Death's Head II. Which means that the next Death's Head... the one CALLED "Death's Head II"... who appeared in a book TITLED Death's Head II... was the THIRD Death's Head.

-I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE IN ANYMORE!! IS THERE NOTHING SACRED?!?! WHY IN THE HELL WAS NO ONE TOLD!?!? WHY DID ROY THOMAS NOT PHONE UP MARVEL AND YELL AT THEM OVER THIS EGREGIOUS OVERSIGHT???

-In any case, Paxton Page was a scientist who created a cobalt bomb- refusing to sell it to anyone, including the U.S. government, he was branded a traitor, and so lived as a recluse. However, the cobalt radiation drove him mad and gave him the mandatory super-powers known to all victims of radiation poisoning, at which point he became the first Death's Head (AGH!), driving off any unwelcome visitors to his estate. Eventually, his daughter Karen (HOLY SHIT KAREN PAGE IS THE DAUGHTER OF A SUPER-VILLAIN?!? WHY DID I NOT KNOW THIS?!?! *checks her bio* oh wait, I knew that before but never checked up on it) arrived back home, distraught over Matt Murdock's "death". When Daredevil tried to explain that he'd faked Matt's death, and that HE was Daredevil, Paxton attacked him. Molten cobalt was spilled in his lab, and nearly hit Karen, but Paxton sacrificed himself to save her life. Well that explains why nobody's heard of him- he died one issue after his debut!

-Death's Head I has the power to irradiate nearly anything he touches, including his sword, making him a PL 7-8 threat. His one-off nature means he's a bit hard to quantify, as his death was self-caused.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds (Eyedol! Gargos! Painter of 1000 Perils! Death's Head I!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Yeah, I was just as surprised when I found out about this Death's Head. Funnily enough, I found him while looking up the same handbook I spotted the Painter in. Oh, and speaking of the UK Death's Head..apparently there was a THIRD version of him in 2005, Death's Head 3.0, making that guy the fourth Death's Head instead! That handbook also made me discover that there was a guy that predates Bullseye..kind of, since the guy was "Bull's Eye" instead, but still pretty much the same! (assassin with a bullseye logo)
Jabroniville

Dr. Glitternight

Post by Jabroniville »

DR. GLITTERNIGHT
Created By:
Doug Moench & Don Perlin
First Appearance: Werewolf By Night #27 (March 1975)
Role: Forgotten Villain
Group Affiliation: The Five-Who-Are-All
PL 10 (179)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 10 (+14)
Insight 2 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+6)
Perception 2 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 2 (+10)

Advantages:
Artificer, Ranged Attack 6, Ritualist

Powers:
"Golden Soul Chains" Snare 10 (Feats: Reversible) (31) -- [34]
  • AE: Blast 10 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating 8) (29)
  • AE: "Drain Life-Force" Weaken Will 10 (Extras: Ranged) (20)
  • AE: "Anti-Soul Black Light" Blast 10 (Extras: Alternate Save- Will) (30)
Summon Zombies & Bat-Demons 6 (Extras: Horde, 8 Minions +6) [54]
Flight 2 (8 mph) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Soul Chains +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Anti-Soul +10 (+10 Ranged Will Damage, DC 25)
Drain Life-Force +10 (+10 Ranged Weaken, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Glitternight wishes to kill everyone on Earth (!!) and use their souls to raise a demon army.
Enemy (Jack Russell- Werewolf By Night)
Enemy (The Five-Who-Are-All)- Glitternight was expelled by the three surviving members of his magical enclave after he absorbed the other one.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 92 / Defenses: 13 (179)

-Glitternight was a member of the Five-Who-Are-All, an alliance of "unimaginably powerful" magical beings who hail from the Region Beyond Reality- he attacks his fellow members, absorbing Fire-Eyes, but is overpowered by the Cowled One, Goat Child & Burning Snake. Shrinking him to human size, he is banished to our dimension. Calling himself Dr. Glitternight, he uses magical powers and plots ot kill everyone on Earth and turn them into his own personal demon army, sending a potential ally fleeing to seek help. Meanwhile, Topaz seeks the mysterious Glitternight as a teacher to help her with her fading powers- he transforms her into a Soul-Beast after stealing her soul, which draws Jack Russell into things. The Soul-Beast is killed and Topaz freed, but Glitternight was able to transform Jack's sister into a werewolf under his control, but Jack nearly sacrificed himself by merging with her using his lycanthropic life essence, which cures her of her own condition. As Werewolf, Jack then slashed a "Soul-Circle" on Glitternight's chest, blowing him up.

-Glitternight returned later, however, transforming Topaz into a Harpy. The remaining Three-Who-Are-All ally with Werewolf and Brother Voodoo- Voodoo severs the connection between Glitternight and Fire-Eyes, which destroys both. Werewolf thus gains more control over his transformations thanks to the mystical discharge. Because that's how stuff works.

-Dr. Glitternight absorbs light and darkness and turns them into power, and he throws out "Anti-Soul" black light, life-force-draining green light, life-force-feeding red light, golden soul chains (is that what Luke Cage wears?), and needles of scarlet & silver light. He's also another "Magic Can Do Anything" character, being able to summon Zombies and stuff, too. Spectrum notes that "good example of a character that starts with a cool concept and then overdone with 'magic' being able to do anything".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Mitchell Chambers

Post by Jabroniville »

MITCHELL CHAMBERS
Created By:
Terry Kavanagh & Scott McDaniel
First Appearance: Punisher, Spider-Man & Sabretooth- Designer Genes #1 (June 1993)
Role: Feral Monster
Group Affiliations: None

-Mitchell Chambers appeared in the most insane idea for a crossover book I've seen- Spider-Man and the Punisher team up often enough, sure... but SABRETOOTH? Jesus, you can tell THIS one was driven entirely by sales, as Marvel's most popular character's most popular enemy was a proven moneymaker at the time. Phillip Chambers was a Department K worker who was responsible for numerous painful experiments on Weapon X's victims- Sabretooth in particular held a grudge. Phillip infected his cancer-ridden little brother Mitchell with his gene-splicing work, but he had more than brotherly affection on his mind- Phillip was in search of money. Despite CURING MITCHELL'S CANCER and thus being the greatest inventor ever, the older brother subjected Mitchell to further experiments, merging bear, wolf & coyote DNA into him, turning him into a werewolf. Mitchell, unfortunately, went feral, and was controlled via an implanted remote-control device.

-Sabretooth recognized Phillip's work in Mitchell (and the organ-harvesting of several homeless people in New York), while Spider-Man investigated the organ-harvesting of lab animals at Empire State University, and the Punisher sought out a "serial killer". The three characters found Mitchell & Phillip at the same time- Phillip ended up eviscerated by Sabretooth, while Mitchell was captured. A third brother- Brandon, an unknowing associate to their brother's mutations (he thought it was just some guy)- was arrested.

-Mitchell was pretty much a generic "Werewolf Guy" in stats, near as I can tell.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh crap, forgot to post one of the Fallen. I thought I had them all, and missed one :).
Jabroniville

Rubach

Post by Jabroniville »

RUBACH
Created By:
Howard Mackie & unknown artist
First Appearance: Ghost Rider/Blaze- Spirits of Vengeance #17 (Dec. 1993)
Role: Demon Worshipper
PL 7 (114)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+9)
Expertise (History) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Demon Lore) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+3)
Stealth 1 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
Immunity 3 (Aging, Disease, Poison) [3]

"Energy Packets" Blast 6 (Diminished Range -1) [11]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Energy Packets +6 (+6 Range Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Follower of Zarathos)

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 8 (92)

-Rubach is said to be the "least-defined of an already poorly-defined group", simply appearing next to Embyrre in the story where they try to forcibly recruit Raydar to their team. Beating up some bar patrons, he is then killed when Hannibal King uses his vampiric powers to summon a legion of rats to devour him.

-Rubach's powers are said to be Gambit/Boom-Boom-like, as he can energize little "Energy Packets", which are then used for offensive damage.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Mister Kline

Post by Jabroniville »

MISTER KLINE
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Gene Colan
First Appearance: Daredevil #78 (July 1971)
Role: Robot Crimeboss
PL 8 (148)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+12)
Deception 8 (+12)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+9)
Expertise (History) 6 (+11)
Insight 2 (+6)
Technology 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit 3 (Crimeboss), Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 4, Startle

Powers:
"Kill-O-Bot"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 7 [7]
Speed 8 (500 mph) [8]
Eye Blast 8 [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Eye Blasts +6 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +7, Fortitude --, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Preventing Baal's Timeline From Coming To Pass)- Mr. Kline has been sent from the past to alter history.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 61 / Defenses: 6 (148)

-The only thing I've heard about Mr. Kline from online fans is that his arc apparently went on ENDLESSLY, though research reveals that it was only half a year- probably came off as an eternity to a very young fan, especially since it took place over three different series. Created by a very young Gerry Conway (who was writing Daredevil, The Sub-Mariner and Iron Man at the time), Mr. Kline was a mysterious crimeboss who was generally unseen behind his chair, but turned out to be a super-strong ROBOT. This is back in the day when Daredevil produced some of the more odd villains and situations in comics- before Frank Miller got a hold of him, the character was all about aliens & stuff.

-Mr. Kline vexed Daredevil, Namor and Iron Man in their respective books, all linked together through seemingly random events. It turns out that Mr. Kline was created by the computer Baal, who was the sole occupant of an Earth many centuries in the future- lonely and wishing to alter history, Baal sent Kline back in time to change events, thus preventing that world from occuring. After a brief set of stories involving robotic duplicates of Mr. Hyde and The Scorpion being sent against DD and his girlfriend, the Black Widow, and deciding that humans were too unpredictable and thus should be destroyed, he was encountered in person by our hero, who disabled him with a blow to the head. Attempting to recover, Kline was instead blown up by some side group called The Final Sons of Man, who come from a future BEYOND Baal, and wish to see history remain the same.

-A master of disguise and a super-strong opponent, Mr. Kline could overpower just about any human, but didn't appear to be that great of a fighter. A Daredevil still in the Silver Age managed to take him out in hand-to-hand, after all. His best attributes are actually mental, as he's shown to be clever and persuasive, swiftly developing a reputation as someone who wasn't to be trifled with.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

As "The List" has only four letters left in it (D, F, M, & P), there's only a handful of un-statted guys left to choose from. And as by FAR the busiest set, the "M" list provides the majority of what I'm posting today. What's funny is that set used to be 20+ days long when I planned it out, but now it's shrunk down to a couple of weeks owing to all the names I've dragged out of it since Spectrum & I gathered all these names together :).
Jabroniville

Modulus

Post by Jabroniville »

MODULUS
Created By:
Mark Waid & Mike Wieringo
First Appearance: Fantastic Four #62 (Dec. 2002)
Role: One-Off Villain, Living Tech

-Modulus is a living computer entity, created when Franklin Richards, jealous over the attention his new baby sister was getting, messed with his dad's PDA (oh, the early 2000s) and it came to life as a result. He attacked the FF, demanding that only he was worthy of Reed's love, being the sum totality of Reed's thoughts and work. Modulus defeated the team using a lot of pseudo-science (duplicating or dividing molecular changes), demanding that Reed love only him, but Reed did the old "talk your way out of it" thing, convincing Modulus that since he couldn't feel The Human Emotion Called Love, that he was inferior. Angry, Modulus created an electronic version of Mr. Fantastic, then entered the cyber-world of the PDA with it. A very anticlimactic three-part story (this coulda been told in ONE, really), and the character never reappeared.

-Modulus could alter his form, and those of other things, just by touching them, and travelled along electrical lines. There's a bit too much vagueness to create a proper build (like... is he smart? INT 4? INT 8? INT 14?), but his powers were QUITE vast- he could easily disintegrate The Thing's rocky hide and the Invisible Woman's force fields, could suffocate the Torch by "dividing oxygen molecules", took out a building by "duplicating its floors" and making it too heavy, and more. Basically, really really high-end Create, Suffocation, Disintegration (Weaken/Damage), and more.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.