Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
drkrash

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Painter! Modred! Mesmero! Mastermind!)

Post by drkrash »

I'm a big fan of Cap and Diamondback. In really only reading the current Domino series because she's in it.

I don't mind Sharon Carter...except that I think it's weird that she's now the older woman and Cap is back to his "young" self. I realize it makes all sorts of sense still in comic book terms. I just don't like it. I wonder if she'll get "back'd to basics" eventually also.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
FuzzyBoots

Re: The Power Broker

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:28 pmThis also tied in to the longstanding rumor (ie. fact) that most of Vince McMahon's WWF behemoths were using HUGE amounts of steroids to maintain their comic book-style physiques.
To be fair, my impression from reading through various wrestler biographies (which, yes, might be biased) is that there are wrestlers who use steroids to maintain insane physiques, but the majority of them are taking lower (still illegal) dosages to recover from the grueling schedule and all of the accumulated damage involved. Although, frankly, that pales beside the issue of them popping pain pills to deal with the damage, stimulants to get them going for the match, and then copious amounts of alcohol afterwards to both dull the pain and let them sleep.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

As for Mastermind, it's funny how his name really has nothing to do with his power until Claremont made him the "long game schemer", as being a "mastermind" really has nothing to do with his illusion powers.

I'd also say it was funny how the guy renown for being ugly had not one but two super-hot daughters, but it actually isn't that weird. He could easily have used his illusion powers to make himself appear handsome to have as many one-night stands as he likes, and his daughters could potentially be doing the same thing to appear sexy themselves. Or it could just be that most comic artists are guys and we as a rule prefer drawing hot women. Because most people, man or woman, prefers to look at hot women.

But Mastermind is a good example of Claremont using old X-Men ideas and re-using them in new and fun ways. Tying Mastermind to the Hellfire Club showed a respect to previous continuity and gave the club a sense of being in the world. It was essentially a reward for long-time readers while being explained in a way that wouldn't confuse new ones.

I did get a little chuckle when I saw one of his daughters had created a "Sisterhood of Mutants", which I'm guessing was 100% female. This oddly makes the Brotherhood of Mutants more inclusive because they had both men and women in their team, sometimes even being led by people like Mystique. Though it does make a bit more sense the way X-Men Evolution did it where the Brotherhood were basically a bunch of frat boys while Magneto's real team were simply "Magneto's Acolytes". While on the one hand I can see a Mutant Rights group wanting a name that is bigger than its founder, Magneto's also got a big enough ego that I could easily see him naming his team after himself.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

drkrash wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:52 pm In really only reading the current Domino series because she's in it.
You poor man.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

We all have our demons, man.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

drkrash wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:08 pm We all have our demons, man.
It kind of hurts reading Gail's current stuff compared to her run on Birds of Prey or Secret Six. She's sort of become the female version of Peter David where she's capable of writing solid stories, but she's also has a tendency to give her main characters the same snarky personality and a lot of bad "weird Aunt" humor. I read the issues that featured Shang Chi and was cringing the entire time.

drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Ares wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:19 pm
drkrash wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:08 pm We all have our demons, man.
It kind of hurts reading Gail's current stuff compared to her run on Birds of Prey or Secret Six. She's sort of become the female version of Peter David where she's capable of writing solid stories, but she's also has a tendency to give her main characters the same snarky personality and a lot of bad "weird Aunt" humor. I read the issues that featured Shang Chi and was cringing the entire time.
I think you're absolutely right and I cut her some slack because I loved BoP so much. I find bits of fun amidst a lot of meh, but that kinda describes reading comics in general right now.

In any case, it's on Unlimited, so it's not costing me much to do.
Jabroniville

The Power Broker (Modern)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE POWER BROKER II (Real Name Unknown)
Role:
Scheming "Get Rich Quick" Villain

-A new Power Broker appeared in The Initiative, and empowered Hardball's brother, resulting in his being crippled, then gave Hardball himself powers. He later reappears in a Scott Lang's solo Ant-Man book, trying to fund his "Hench" app that hires out villains. He later creates the "Hench X" app that can turn ANYONE into a supervillain, and he's eventually beaten by Cassandra "Stinger" Lang, Scott's daughter. Most of this guy's stuff is a parody of "Social Media Billionaire" apps and modern-day get-rich-quick dot-com attempts, as Lang's book by this point was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek look at the world of superheroics (being funny without going "Full Squirrel Girl").
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

The Power Tools

Post by Jabroniville »

THE POWER TOOLS:
-I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried- a team of guys using costumes with POWER TOOLS on them as weapons. Oh yeah, and every one of them has super-human strength via the Power-Broker (seriously, it's THAT EASY to get Class 10-ish strength in the Marvel U? Why even BOTHER replicating the Super-Soldier Serum?... aside from the debilitating side-effects that afflicted many recipients). Jackhammer debuted on his own, far before the rest of his team, and was only later enhanced.

-Though having actually read the issues in question, the "original four" members of the team debuted in Avengers Spotlight, and were never actually CALLED "The Power Tools"- they're just some goons employed by the Power Broker and empowered by Karl Malus, with a common gimmick. They don't even wear costumes! The later group appears only in the backup feature in Captain America, assaulting BattleStar in his mission to hunt down his friend, U.S. Agent. So in effect, these are actually two SEPARATE groups, sort of united by a boss and naming concept.

The Power Tools (Version 1):
-So in Avengers Spotlight, these guys are hired goons in charge of abducting Madcap. Hawkeye is asked to rescue the goofball by a TV Executive, as they're airing a Madcap Comedy Show, which is now in danger. The guy is at first upset because "I SPECIFICALLY asked for Daredevil!", but eventually concedes that Hawkeye will have to do. Hawkeye easily follows a license plate (visible on the video of Madcap's abduction) to a club full of punkers (... I hate punkers), and immediately gets dumped down a trap door. Now KARL MALUS is annoyed that he didn't get Daredevil ("It is vital to my experiments that I have DAREDEVIL!"), and an insulted Clint gets attacked by four people with metal tools for limbs- Triphammer, Handsaw, Pick Axe and Vice.

-The heroes EASILY defeat their adversaries, however, with Hawkeye using a Screamer Arrow on Triphammer, then blocks Pick Axe's strike with his bow and smokes him with it. Handsaw threatens Madcap (easily freed by Hawkeye while he's beating on the others), immune to his "Freaky Eyes" power because of her shades. But he deftly avoids her shots, then takes off the glasses- now mad and frenzied, she attacks Vice. Hawkeye & Madcap then make their escape as Malus detonates his hideout. Madcap, missing an arm, runs back in to get it, gets blown up... and then walks out, putting the arm back on. Hawkeye is merely annoyed by the entire thing. These four idiots never appear again.

The Power Tools (Version 2):
-In BattleStar's solo tale, he invades a warehouse of Dr. Karl Malus, only to be attacked by three NEW Power Tools, including a Daredevil foe from the 1970s in Jackhammer! All three have Enhanced Strength, and put up a much better fight (though to be fair, BattleStar is nowhere near the competitor that Hawkeye is). And even STILL they completely suck- Drill & Buzz-Saw managed to fall into each other, getting in the way! BattleStar is forced to give up, however, when Jackhammer threatens the life of Star & Agent's old promoter- the Power Tools take him to Malus, who de-powers him as part of the crippled Power-Broker's attempt to learn how to reverse the process that left him requiring a machine to move around. Battle Star is reduced to his non-powered state (unlike all the other poor souls who were de-powered, all of whom are now deformed and crippled), but then U.S. Agent appears, beating all three Power Tools. Battle Star and all the other victims are restored, and the Agent taunts the Power-Broker, shattering the machine before he can be returned to his normal state. The price for screwing with his friends.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Mastermind! The Power Broker! The Power Tools!)

Post by Jabroniville »

This is the third time I've posted the Power Tools, but the first time I really have the complete story. The first time I posted them was one of those magical moments where I managed to teach everyone about a HORRENDOUS Jobber Villain (a TEAM, even) for the first time- the kind of thing that cements a reputation, lol. I'm more proud of posting garbage like the Power Tools and the Gamecock than I am about my fifteen-paragraph essays about Captain America :). It's the kind of thing that unites the entire poster base in how silly something is.
Jabroniville

Jackhammer

Post by Jabroniville »

JACKHAMMER (Matthew Banham)
Created By:
Tony Isabella & Bob Brown
First Appearance: Daredevil #123 (July 1975)
Role: Joke Villain
Group Affiliations: The Power Tools, The Masters of Evil, HYDRA
PL 7 (101)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 3 (+10)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (HYDRA Leader) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 3 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Technology 3 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Jackhammer), Improved Smash

Powers:
"Power-Broker's Enhancements"
Power Lifting 1 (6 tons) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Jackhammer Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [17]
"Jackhammers" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Multiattack 9, Penetrating 9) (20) -- (21)
  • AE: Burrowing 5 (2 mph) (5)
Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Jackhammers +5 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +6, Fortitude +9, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 10 (101)

-Jackhammer debuted as a throwaway mook, as a HYDRA engineering boss subservient to Silvermane, and he fought (and lost to) Daredevil. This is his ONLY APPEARANCE until fifteen years later, in Captain America, where Mark Gruenwald (of course) uses him as a backgrounder during Diamondback's first date with Cap. He's seen hitting on Poundcakes (POUNDCAKES? All the villainous tail in the Marvel Universe and he hits on POUNDCAKES?), and she rebuffs him by starting a huge fight. Thankfully, DB asked the Serpent gals to ensure the date went smoothly, and so Anaconda thumps Poundcakes while Asp one-shots Jackhammer with her "Venom Blast".

-Gru re-uses Jackhammer only three issues later, having him show up as part of the Power Tools, a loser-y group of power-tool-assisted goofballs, Now, he definitely has the Power-Broker enhancements, being strong and tough enough to take several blows from BattleStar and fight back. He nails BattleStar in the ribs with a hammer, but has the hammer knocked into a TV set, electrocuting him. He recovers quickly, however, and the brawl continues until he grabs a civilian (BattleStar's old promoter), and threatens his life unless BattleStar gives up. Later, at the HQ of the Power-Broker & Karl Malus, the U.S. Agent dives in and easily defeats all three villains.

-Jackhammer next appears as part of a one-off Masters of Evil team, led by Doctor Octopus. They invade Avengers Mansion during the Infinity War, but find the Guardians of the Galaxy there instead. There's an expected brawl, but then they're attacked by "Magus Clones". When Doc Ock then demands they kill the Guardians, the rest of the Masters turn on him, refusing to attack the men they just fought alongside. Aftera one-shot background appearance at an A.I.M. conference, the character vanishes until modern times, showing up in Union Jack, being hired to break down the walls of the Thames Tunnel- he busts up the walls and lets in some water, but Union Jack runs in and one-punches him.

-Jackhammer is the toughest of the Power Tools (to be fair, only one of his six appearances is with that squad, so he's not really "one of them"), and the hardest one to place. He's tougher than most goons, being in the U.S. Agent class of strength, but he's bad enough at fighting that he needs an entire squad of dudes of similar power to handle BattleStar- and BattleStar WON that match, beating on all three of them despite their teamwork, and only got captured because they threatened another guy. To have that hard a time fighting one minor-league superhero (who has powers, but isn't remotely a big name- probably PL 9), I think he deserves to be PL 7. This isn't to say he's not a threat- his Jackhammers do a LOT of damage, especially with Multiattack & Penetrating on top of them, he can burrow (presumably- he never did it in a book I read, but they're jackhammers so I figured it'd be cool), use All-Out & Power Attack to play with his caps, and he's pretty tough. Not SO tough, though- Asp of the Serpent Society KO'd him with one Venom Blast during the great "Cap & Diamondback's First Date" storyline.

-He has some scientific know-how from his early appearances as a HYDRA engineer, but eventually they left out that aspect of his character (even Mark Gruenwald, master of obscure villains & continuity, doesn't use it). I stuck some of it on because... well, he's a 100-point guy. He needs the help.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Mastermind! The Power Broker! The Power Tools!)

Post by Ares »

Well there name is accurate at least. They are a bunch of tools.

Jabroniville

Triphammer

Post by Jabroniville »

TRIPHAMMER (Real Name Unrevealed)
Created By:
Howard Mackie & James Brock
First Appearance: Avengers Spotlight #29 (Feb. 1990)
Role: Joke Villain, Nameless Goon
Group Affiliations: The Power Tools
PL 5 (50)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+7)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Hammer), Improved Smash

Powers:
"Bionic Hammer" Strength-Damage +3 Linked to Affliction 5 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Subtle) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Hammer +4 (+6 Damage & +5 Affliction, DC 21 & 15)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 8 (50)

-Triphammer's a pretty well-built guy, and I chose to reflect the fact that a giant hammer's as likely to leave you stunned through the vibrations as KO'd. He's a PL 5 Mook with a power, giving him little accuracy, but quite a lot more of a punch than any HYDRA or A.I.M. goon you're likely to encounter. Not that he ever lands a hit on Hawkeye during their entire fight- he's hit by a Screamer Arrow.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Pick Axe

Post by Jabroniville »

PICK AXE (Real Name Unrevealed)
Created By:
PL 5 (54)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Pick Axe), Improved Smash, Startle

Powers:
"Bionic Pick Axe" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach, Subtle) (Extras: Penetrating 6) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Pick Axe +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 7 (54)

-Pick Axe uses a very long Pick Axe as a weapon, and he's pretty much the same as Triphammer otherwise, substituting a notch of power with speed & accuracy. He gets trounced by Hawkeye, who manages to use his BOW as a melee weapon, cross-blocking an axe strike, then smacking him upside the face with it.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Vice

Post by Jabroniville »

VICE (Real Name Unrevealed)
Created By:
PL 6 (52)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+5)

Advantages:
Benefits (Ambidexterity), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Vice), Improved Hold, Improved Grab

Powers:
"Bionic Vice" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Subtle) [3]
Enhanced Strength 4 (Flaws: Limited to Grapple Checks) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Vice +5 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +1

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 7 (52)

-Vice is basically Pick Axe with a different weapon- a Vice able to hold guys much more effectively than someone of his strength should normally be capable of. It enhances his damage and his Strength, but the latter is only for grappling. His PL only applies to his Grappling ability- the rest of him is PL 5 or 4.5 (his defenses). His only real move in the entire thing is to grasp Madcap by the throat during his capture- he doesn't land a hit in the subsequent fight, and is instead attacked by a mentally-frenzied Handsaw.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.