Jab’s Builds! (Nightmare Creatures/Circus! Lawnmower Man! Metroid!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Bryan Fury! Azazel! ThunderCats- HOOOOOOOOOO!!!)

Post by Ares »

JDRook wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:52 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:05 am I’ve literally never even heard of TigerSharks. What in the world is that?
I've never heard of it, either;
Then you're in luck, I wrote a mini-term paper all about it a few posts up. :D And as one of my shorter rambles, you might not need a ton of caffeine to make it all the way through and stay awake. ;)
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

sirjolt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:49 amI wish I had the $450 to get that Cheetara statue.
I was just looking at that. They have a Lion-O and Mumm-Ra, too. You can set up payment plans, but for some unclear reason you have to pay off the boys in 3 easy monthly payments, but Cheetara they let you take up to 8.
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Ares wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:02 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:05 am I’ve literally never even heard of TigerSharks. What in the world is that?
Then you're in luck, I wrote a mini-term paper all about it a few posts up.
That's some deep-diving (no pun intended). Now I'n hearkening back to the questionable cartoons of my youth and have the "Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam" theme song stuck in my head. I think that was the first time I saw a live action band turn into cartoons, which I wouldn't see again until Kidd Video.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

JDRook wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:58 am
That's some deep-diving (no pun intended). Now I'n hearkening back to the questionable cartoons of my youth and have the "Kid Super Power Hour with Shazam" theme song stuck in my head. I think that was the first time I saw a live action band turn into cartoons, which I wouldn't see again until Kidd Video.
What can I say, someone asks a question about something I have legitimate knowledge of, I feel compelled to answer.

That old Filmation Shazam cartoon was my first introduction to the character, and was apparently the first job for a lot of later writers such as Paul Dini. Something about the old theme song just hits me everytime I hear it.

Though the Shazam series was something of a double edged sword. It does make Cap one of the few heroes to have his own animated and live action series, but it also prevented him and Dr. Sivana from appearing in the Super Friends series Hana-Barbera did with the Legion of Doom (which was apparently the plan), and thus didn't appear in later Super Friends and Super Powers series. It might have helped Cap's popularity and pop culture knowledge if he'd been part of those shows, working alongside Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman and being integrated into the DCU.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:38 pm
Also Jab, a few things:
You see, this is why I never try to build anything that I'm both entirely unfamiliar with, and has a shitty Wiki site :). As I said from the beginning, there's a half-dozen or so people on here who know more about ThunderCats than I do, even after I've done research.

It wasn't until I looked at the Wiki that I was like "WTF? What's this NEW Thundera? Lion-O's sword can do all THAT? Who the hell are these Berserkers & Lunataks?" I'm actually pretty sure I've only ever seen about ten or twelve ThunderCats episodes in my entire life. I can't even really respond to your multiple essays, because I have no context for things.

But I blame you for my ignorance- you should have anticipated my needs and given me all this information sooner. YOU OWE ME TEN MINUTES OF MY LIFE, ARES!!!!!!
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I don't even recall if I've seen a single episode of the show, myself (the show ended before I was born and I don't think ever saw any repeats), so what I know of it comes from pop-cultural osmosis and the internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:28 am
Ares wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:38 pm
Also Jab, a few things:
You see, this is why I never try to build anything that I'm both entirely unfamiliar with, and has a shitty Wiki site :). As I said from the beginning, there's a half-dozen or so people on here who know more about ThunderCats than I do, even after I've done research.

It wasn't until I looked at the Wiki that I was like "WTF? What's this NEW Thundera? Lion-O's sword can do all THAT? Who the hell are these Berserkers & Lunataks?" I'm actually pretty sure I've only ever seen about ten or twelve ThunderCats episodes in my entire life. I can't even really respond to your multiple essays, because I have no context for things.

But I blame you for my ignorance- you should have anticipated my needs and given me all this information sooner. YOU OWE ME TEN MINUTES OF MY LIFE, ARES!!!!!!
Well, you can always frame these write-ups as a "bare bones pop culture" write up of the characters that most people would recognize, but fans of the show could add to. Sort of like a starting template.

And hey, I was sitting right here, you could have asked for this info at any time. :D The most you asked was about Lion-O's strength level and I gave you a few examples, including that clip of Lion-O armwrestling a caveman.

Though honestly, these write-ups are likely accurate to at least one episode of the series, given how loose the show played with the 'Cats capabilities. ;)

As for context, I at least tried for that with the TigerShark essay. ;)

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

sirjolt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:49 am I wish I had the $450 to get that Cheetara statue.
Haha, these prices are SO insane. I mean, ThunderCats toys in general are COMPLETELY nuts, too- the figures are so big, and the paint-jobs SO BAD, that you're almost never going to get one in good condition without spending at least $50. Never mind the later figures- Bengali (the most awesome looking ThunderCat) costs more than $100 in good condition.

The damn things are about as expensive as a fully-loaded Dino Riders Triceratops, Torosaurus or Tyrannosaurus Rex. INSANE considering the disparity in size and complexity.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

JDRook wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:58 am
Oh god you name dropped Kid Video. Now I HAVE TO post this again :): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWjgvYo9ahQ
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Also, the great "ThePinkMan" channel has done a huge takedown of Frank Dux for his "Martial Arts Frauds" video series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKsmfXf3mZ4

These are just amazing. It's incredible HOW COMMON this Humbuggery is and was in the martial arts world. And amazingly, it all mysteriously nosedived around the time that actual paid fighting was a big thing that regularly aired on television screens. Because suddenly it was too out of the question that people wouldn't have been using these techniques.

The greatest one ever remains that idiot being caught with this "Dim Mak" bullshit by National Geographic (who actually, you know, INVESTIGATED THINGS FOR REAL instead of just parroting it). And instead of having a good response handy for when he was caught, he just did this rambling, idiotic "oh well, he must have moved his toe in the right direction to turn it off. Oh yeah, if you do that, then move your OTHER toe, then you can keep deflecting it". Reminds me of Batgirl commenting on the "Woo Peddlers" of martial arts fraudery.

Among his best lines was the takedown of "chi", and how it's more of a metaphysical concept than a real thing, and that "you can no more use Chi to hurt someone than you could summon a demon to attack your opponent".
Jabroniville

The Thunderkittens

Post by Jabroniville »

WILYKAT
Played By:
Peter Newman
Role: Exciteable Kid, Fan-Insert Character
PL 6 (92)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 10 (+11)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Trap-Building) 8 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+4)
Perception 6 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+9)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Grenade Capsules), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4

Equipment:
"Grenade Capsules"
Blast 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (14)
"Smoke" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud, Ranged) (Diminished Range -1) (7)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Grenades +5 Area (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Immature)- The Thunderkittens arer prone to acting without thinking.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (92)

WILYKIT
Played By:
Lynne Lipton
Role: Exciteable Kid, Fan-Insert Character
PL 6 (92)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 10 (+11)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Trap-Building) 8 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+4)
Perception 6 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+9)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Grenade Capsules), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4

Equipment:
"Grenade Capsules"
Blast 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (14)
"Smoke" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud, Ranged) (Diminished Range -1) (7)

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Grenades +5 Area (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Immature)- The Thunderkittens arer prone to acting without thinking.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 42--21 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (92)

-Wilykat and Wilykit are a pair of exciteable young kids, around Lion-O's age, but now appearing to be much younger since he was aged up. They are similar to a LOT of characters in 1980s cartoons, in that they're spunky young kids who hang around with the cool, adult characters, thus representing the kids in the audience who wish THEY got to hang out with the ThunderCats! Unlike the rest of the Cats, the Thunderkittens are more based off of generic "cats" than any famous species. Possibly wildcats or their domesticated relative, the housecat. As a kid, I felt they were kind of lame and "plain" because of this- I was never quite taken with the "Kid Hero" characters back in the day.

-The Thunderkittens are skilled, but weak, fighters, and need their defenses and speed in order to get out of jams. Their only real offensive weapons arer their little exploding balls called "grenades", which burst into little eruptions en masse. They're also skilled trap-builders, which is usually more effective at stopping the bad guys than anything.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And in the Wildstorm comic continuity, the twins aged rather well:

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

haha, I remember reading about that comic. People seemed to HATE it.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Oh it was pretty bad from what I remember, but the art was nice.

slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

I wonder if anyone has done any research into whether Cheetara is the proto-furry as it were... That Wildstorm series made me feel icky.

-STS