Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

S.H.E.

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SUPER-HEROES OF EUROPE:
First Appearance: The Sentry #4
Created By: Paul Jenkins & Jae Lee

-One of the peculiarities of Paul Jenkins's Sentry comic is that the Sentry's self-created nemesis, The Void, arrives in Europe and slaughters various members of the "Super-Heroes of Europe", a never-before seen organization of characters that exists pretty much just to job, and provide some cannon fodder that aren't actual Marvel characters. This is unlike DC, where several actual Justice Leaguers were offered up to James Robinson as the female successor to The Mist ran through the team and slaughtered many of them (including the newest Amazing Man). Here, at least, nobody we KNEW died- they even spared guys like El Aguila & the female Shamrock these indignities! The only victims are a male Shamrock, Red Dragon, Flying Carpet & Claymore. The Unofficial Marvel Appendix actually needed assistance both from Jenkins's personal notes, and letters from Jenkins himself, in order to figure out most of the characters' NAMES- their powers are unknown and never mattered.

-Most are wearing flags on their uniforms- a very American idea of what a national hero looks like. It confuses a lot of North Americans that people in Europe, who saw the dark side of nationalism decades ago in a very personal manner, are often rather hesitant to brandish their flags and wave them around in that manner.

The Roster:
AMAZON (The Ukraine)- Powers unknown. Possibly super-strong.
THE BELGIAN BRAIN (Belgium)- Marcel Deflandre, a floating brain inside a sphere. Enhanced calculation powers.
CLAYMORE (Scotland)- A blond guy with a giant morningstar attached to a chain (which, mind you, is neither a Claymore sword nor a Claymore grenade). He was killed by The Void.
FLYING CARPET (Turkey)- Killed off-panel, without ever having been seen.
JAVELIN (Finland)- Powers unknown; killed. Has a Finnish flag on her ass.
MAGMA (Sweden)- Powers unknown; crippled by indecision during the Void crisis. First name is Sven.
ORACLE (Greece)- Powers unknown. Knew how communication technology worked.
RED DRAGON (Wales)- Gareth Thomas, who like the symbol of Wales, had red skin and bat-like wings. The last one killed by The Void. He was replaced by a normal-looking woman.
SHAMROCK (Ireland)- Probably unrelated to the more-famous heroine. Killed by The Void.
STRONGMAN (Iceland)- Presumably quite the strong man. His first name is Gunnar.
TRICOLORE (France)- Her first name was Yvette, and that's the extent of our knowledge of her.
WHITE CROSS (Switzerland)- Powers unknown.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
danelsan

Re: Jab's Builds! (Slasher! Kitty Pryde! Samurai Steel! Sunfire!)

Post by danelsan »

Yeah, aside from his incredible painting skills, Alex Ross is also pretty damn great at character design and he does make work things that at first brush one would never imagine to be possible (looking at you, Jack-in-the-Box!)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

danelsan wrote:Yeah, aside from his incredible painting skills, Alex Ross is also pretty damn great at character design and he does make work things that at first brush one would never imagine to be possible (looking at you, Jack-in-the-Box!)
It's funny how many Astro City trades end with the "Character Design" process, and it's pretty much just:

1) Kurt's weak-ass description (Because writers SUCK BALLS at describing their characters. I remember trying to draw characters for a writing community's super-characters. Every description was either "exactly like this other, trademarked character, but a different color" or complete vague nonsense).
2) Brent Anderson trying drawing after drawing that couldn't get what Kurt was going for.
3) "Still not working. Call Alex" Alex Ross delivers perfect character design that hits every possible aspect of the character at once.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Astro City, another highly regarded comic series that I've barely read. Guys, I may need to turn in my Comic Book Nerd card...
Formerly luketheduke86
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Jab's Builds! (Slasher! Kitty Pryde! Samurai Steel! Sunfire! S.H.E.!)

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I'm fairly sure I'm banned from even looking at membership cards :p
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote:3) "Still not working. Call Alex" Alex Ross delivers perfect character design that hits every possible aspect of the character at once.
I'm somewhat in the minority of the comic book fandom in that I'm not really all that enamored with Alex Ross' artistic sensibilities in general, but as far as character design is concerned he is perfect to me.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

L-Space wrote:Astro City, another highly regarded comic series that I've barely read. Guys, I may need to turn in my Comic Book Nerd card...
yeah, that's one I'd the best books around, at least as far as their top stories go. That's as bad as me never reading anything by Neil Gaiman.
Jabroniville

The Seekers

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SEEKERS
Created By:
Danny Fingeroth & Tom Morgan
First Appearance: Iron Man #214 (Jan. 1987)
Role: Jobber Villains
Group Affiliations: Advanced Idea Mechanics, The Seekers

-The Seekers are a trio of ex-A.I.M. Goons (Grasp, Sonic & Chain) who built their own suits of armour and started acting as bounty hunters. They threatened the Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman and Iron Man, following up on a contract from the government after she helped the Avengers escape prison. Thanks to their unique gimmick (they're a team of armored goofs, but each one has a unique "trick"), they actually hold their own, but are eventually beaten. Later, they are seen fighting the Human Torch & Rusty Collins- Grasp's son committed suicide by setting himself on fire (!!), and Grasp blamed the Torch for it. This is a reference to the old rumor that Johnny Storm was taken out of the original Fantastic Four cartoon over fears of children actually setting themselves on fire trying to imitate him- this was actually disproven, but the rumors persist to this day, thanks to a hyper-litigious society, and cowardly, controversy-avoiding network execs.

-Naturally, by this point, New Villain Stink has worn off, and Rusty defeats ALL THREE of the Seekers by his lonesome! They later got two new members (losing Grasp) and fought some random groups of heroes (Spider-Man, The New Warriors & The Punisher) in a '90s story where they were hired by the Secret Empire. Later on, they fight Venom & Darkhawk, the latter of whom takes out three of them with one wide-angle beam.

-I kind of like silly little groups like this- Jobbers With Gimmicks is always fun, and each guy gets the chance to show off his gimmick and provide a bit of trouble for whichever hero they're fighting. They were ideally-suited for Post-Bronze Age comics, but sadly don't fit into modern-day stuff, where "what powers you have" is usually glossed-over, and the fight scene is just a backdrop instead of the main event. Nowadays, you're likely to see Jobbers like this in single panels, throwing out punches in the background without explanation for their abilities.

CHAIN
PL 8 (101)
STRENGTH
1/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 5 (+10)
Expertise (A.I.M. Buckethead) 2 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)

Advantages: 
Chokehold, Range Attack 2

Powers:
"Chain Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [28]
Enhanced Strength 7 (14)
Protection 6 (6)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
-- (34 points)

"Electro-Chain" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
Damage 8 (Feats: Reach 2, Split, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Disarm) (14) -- (15 points)
  • AE: "Blaster Gun" Blast 6 (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Armor +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Electro-Chain +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- The Seekers split from A.I.M. to become Bounty Hunters.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 37 / Defenses: 8 (101)

FIREBALL
PL 7 (100)
STRENGTH
1/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)

Advantages: 
Range Attack 2

Powers:
"Fireball Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [40]
Enhanced Strength 7 (14)
Protection 6 (6)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
Fire Blast 8 (Feats: Split) (17)
-- (49 points)

Offense:
Fire +6 (+8 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 6 (100)

-A later addition, Fireball is a generic Flying Blaster-type with an even more generic name.

GRASP
PL 8 (135)
STRENGTH
1/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)

Advantages: 
Chokehold, Range Attack 4

Powers:
"Grasp Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [69]
Enhanced Strength 7 (14)
Protection 6 (6)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
"Electro-Gauntlets or Net" Affliction 7 (Strength; Hindered, Dazed & Vulnerable/Defenseless, Stunned & Immobile/Incapacitated) (Extras: Extra Condition +2, Progressive +2, Ranged) Linked to Blast 6 (54)
-- (86 points)

Offense:
Electro-Gauntlets +8 (+7 Ranged Affliction & +6 Ranged Damage, DC 17 & 21)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:
Enemy (Johnny Storm)- Grasp's son died after setting himself aflame. Somehow, Grasp sees this as the Human Torch's fault.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 69 / Defenses: 8 (135)

-Grasp is actually very pricey, containing a dangerous Electrified Snare thing that grows bigger and more engangle-y as the guy loses saves. His son died after setting himself on fire, giving him a mad-on for the Human Torch.

SONIC
PL 8 (110)
STRENGTH
1/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)

Advantages: 
Minion 2 (Mechanical Crab), Range Attack 2

Powers:
"Sonic Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [45]
Enhanced Strength 7 (14)
Protection 6 (6)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)
"Sound Cannon" Blast 9 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (24)
-- (56 points)

Offense:
Sonic Cannon +6 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +2

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 8 (110)

MECHANICAL CRAB
PL 7 (36)
STRENGTH
-3 STAMINA -- AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -- AWARENESS -3 PRESENCE --

Skills:
Stealth 2 (+4, +12 Size)

Advantages: 
Improved Hold

Powers:
"Tiny Machine"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 2 [2]
Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Flaws: Permanent +0) (-2 Strength, Speed -1, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation) [17]
"Energy Surge" Damage 8 [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Energy Surge +6 (+8 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +2, Fortitude --, Will-3

Total: Abilities: -22 / Skills: 2--1 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 4 (36)

-Sonic is a generic Blaster guy except for the fact that he shoots a tiny Crab that shocks people... it's the strangest use of the Minion Advantage ever.

LASERWORKS
PL 8 (114)
STRENGTH
1/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Deception 3 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+3)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 3 (+4)

Advantages: 
Range Attack 2

Powers:
"Laserworks Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [54]
Enhanced Strength 7 (14)
Protection 6 (6)
Flight 6 (120 mph) (12)

"Laser Cage" Laser Aura 6 (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Affects Others Only, Limited to Constructs) Linked to Create Laser Objects 4 (Extras: Continuous, Stationary) (34) -- (35)
  • AE: "Lasers" Blast 8 (16)
-- (67 points)

Offense:
Laser Blast +6 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +3, Will +2

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 7 (114)

-Laserworks joined when Fireball did, and could shoot Lasers and make Laser Cages and stuff (take your pick: Affects Others Aura or Shapeable Area).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Sunpyre

Post by Jabroniville »

Seriously, even the GIRL version is cosplaying Doctor Zoidberg.

SUNPYRE I (Leyu Yoshida)
Created By:
Scott Lobdell & Salador Larocca
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #392 (April 2001)
Role: Flying Blaster, Supreme Bitch
Country of Origin: Japan
Group Affiliations: The X-Corps
PL 10 (159)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Aerobatics 4 (+7)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Japanese Lore) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+11)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Perception 3 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Plasma) 3 (+8)
Treatment 4 (+9)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Improved Critical (Plasma), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Plasma Generation"

Plasma Blast 10 (Feats: Split) (Extras: Penetrating) (31) -- [36]
  • AE: "Plasma Burst" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (30)
  • AE: "Plasma Steam" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (30)
  • AE: "Plasma Wave" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (30)
  • AE: "Aura Boost" Aura 6 (24)
  • AE: "Melt" Weaken Toughness 8 (Extras: Ranged, Objects Only +0) (18)
Plasma Aura 4 [16]
Immunity 10 (Radiation Effects) [10]
Flight 6 (120 mph) [12]
Senses 1 (Infravision) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Plasma Blast +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Plasma +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Plasma Aura +8 (+6-10 Damage, DC 21-25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Giant Bitch)- Leyu's pretty much a carbon-copy of her brother in this sense, rubbing everyone the wrong way upon first meeting.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 75 / Defenses: 15 (159)

-GOD, was Scott Lobdell a giant hack who ruined the X-books. I swear to Claremont he's shown up like a million times on crappy-ass characters that I've built- The Acolytes, Maggott, Marrow (her adult version was characterized by him) and THIS chick. Not only is "Suddenly Siblings" a stupid writing trick (like, why would Sunfire SUDDENLY have a sister with the exact same power-set revealed over THIRTY YEARS after he debuted in 1970, and after countless adventures with the X-teams?), almost as dumb as "Suddenly Children Who Have Been Mysteriously Aged to Adulthood", but to not even bother to add a real Japanese name (Leyu? He couldn't pick up a damn baby-name book for Japanese people, or just steal it from a pop star or something? It was 2001- we had the internet) is just extra stupid. The X-writers seemingly noticed how stupid the whole thing was (she was a carbon copy of Shiro in every way, including powers and temperament), and so they had Mystique casually murder her during another arc. Probably for the best, though oddly in this comic the formerly 15-year old headstrong teenager was replaced by a stern, serious Moira MacTaggert-like genius.

-Another version of her joined The Big Hero 6 for some reason (that reason being that Lobdell didn't like Joe Casey killing off his character), but she was an extradimensional variant from The Microverse. She eventually returned to her homeworld after initially meeting the team after being dragged up through Honey Lemon's purse.

-Sunpyre is basically a PL 10 version of her brother, but only because her Area Attacks are quite damaging still. She has a regular Blast at PL 9 intensity. She's also a total Glass Cannon, unable to take a hit. Also Casey apparently decided to make her a geneticist, so she's smart. The second Sunpyre probably was dumber, but was also a leader of her people.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
M4C8

Re: Jab's Builds! (Kitty Pryde! Samurai Steel! Sunfire! The Seekers!)

Post by M4C8 »

The Seekers, who were brothers if I remember correctly (The original three were anyway) remind me of the later team The Jury. A group of armoured guys each with their own signature weaponry who came together to enact vengeance on another character, in their case Venom.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Jabroniville

Smuggler

Post by Jabroniville »

Hey look- it's the bad guy from every f*cking "Hardy Boys" novel ever made!

SMUGGLER (Conrad Josten)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Tony DeZuniga
First Appearance: Thunderbolts #47 (2001)
Role: Suddenly Introduced Sibling
Group Affiliations: The Thunderbolts
PL 9 (113)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 2 (+3)
Insight 2 (+3)
Investigation 2 (+3)
Perception 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Snare) 2 (+8)
Technology 3 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Darkforce-Powered Smuggler Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [45]
Protection 4 (4)
Elongation 2 (2)

"Shadow-Melting" Teleport 10 (Feats: Change Direction & Velocity, Increased Mass 6- 3,200 lbs.) (Extras: Accurate, Extended) (48) -- (50)
  • AE: "Darkforce Tendril" Snare 10 (30)
  • AE: Movement 1 (Dimensional Travel- Darkforce Dimension) (2)
-- (56 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Darkforce Tendril +8 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+7 Suit), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Rivalry (Erik Josten- Brother)- Conrad resents his brother greatly for becoming a criminal, embarrassing the family, and causing the family farm to go under.

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 12 (113)

-Conrad Josten is the suddenly-introduced sibling of Erik, better known as Atlas of the Thunderbolts (and under various names as a member of the Masters of Evil). The only surviving sibling of Erik, Conrad held a grudge against him for embarrassing their parents (who died after losing the family farm), and became the Smuggler at the behest of the U.S. Government. He joined the Redeemers, a group trying to take down the T-Bolts, but they failed- they were later killed fighting Graviton, but Conrad survived by moving into the Darkforce Dimension. Conrad was freed by Baron Zemo in payment for Erik helping him out with something, but his costume was eventually destroyed. The two brothers apparently repaired their relationship.

-Smuggler has some pretty simple gear, which works a little bit like S.H.O.C.'s armor. It has a Snare and Teleportation capabilities, but that's about it. The Snare is PL 9, but the rest of him is on the weak side.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Man... people denying the glory of Kitty Pryde AND defending that indefensible Sunfire mask- THIS PLACE sometimes... :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: The Seekers!

Post by Ken »

My favourite of the Seekers is the song Georgy Girl.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

My favourite seeker is Skywarp.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I liked the concept of the Seekers, and it is a shame you don't really see characters like them anymore. I hate to go all "back in my day", as it makes me sound old . . . and maybe I am, but it use to be that comics could manage to tell some fun stories and have some solid, dynamic action sequences. I feel that's become something of a lost art, where it feels like action scenes are almost an after-thought, usually very stiff and not especially interesting.

My exposure to the Seekers was in the Secret Empire Spider-Man storyline, where you had this collection of street level heroes taking on some evil empire full of masked goons, cyborgs and mercenaries in power armor. And since it was drawn by Mark Bagley, the fights all flowed very well and looked great. Weird costume design choices aside, Mark is one of my top picks in comics for really great action scenes, up there with George Perez IMO.

If I remember right, Sonic's little minion thing was really more of a ranged power drain, where it would attach to someone and drain their energy. It was designed to work on power armor like Iron Man, but proved dangerous to humans as well.

Grasp was always kind of weird to me. I mean, I get the strength enhancing armor, the idea of launching your metal hands at someone, even the idea of the hands expanding into restraints . . . but the guy had some kind of tech that would literally make the hands grow to be big enough to wrap around a full grown adult, and it could build a new armored hand for the suit be sucking ions out of the air. They had technology that could literally build something out of thin air, and they used it to be armored rent-a-thugs.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.