Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (The Fathom Five! Tiger Shark! Peak! Stingray!)

Post by Ares »

And in honor of Stingray, here's an attempt at a tweak to Stingray's design.
Ares wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:49 am Stingray - Redesign

"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Re: The Seaweed Man

Post by Jabroniville »

RUSCHE wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:33 am Wow you are digging deep Into Namor's gallery. I forgot about this guy.
Yeah, he's an obscure one. I don't even remember how I located him- maybe a list of Namor foes on Marvunapp? I'm really not sure, but it was definitely one of their bios that made even that little bit of a biography possible. Thank goodness I don't force myself to the old "stat it or leave it" standards- it's kind of fun just doing a little bio and including some "maybe" aspects to their powers.
Jabroniville

Tyrak

Post by Jabroniville »

TYRAK
Created By:
Gerry Conway & George Perez
First Appearance: The Avengers #154 (Dec. 1976)
Role: Growing Guy
Group Affiliations: Atlantis
PL 10 (110)
STRENGTH
6/12 STAMINA 6/12 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+6)
Expertise (Atlantean Warrior) 4 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+3, +8 Size)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Vehicles 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Startle, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Atlantean Physiology"
Swimming 8 (120 mph) [8]
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure) [3]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
Power-Lifting 1 (50 tons) [1]

Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) [12]
Growth +4 (+10 Mass, +5 Intimidation, +2 Speed, -10 Stealth) -- (42 feet) (Flaws: Limited to Non-ST & STA Boosts) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Large Size +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +4
"Full Size" Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +12, Fortitude +12, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Attuma's Army)- Tyrak is a loyal minion.
Weakness (Lack of Water)- If left without water, Atlanteans will grow progressively weaker. After a long period of time, Tyrak will becoming Fatigued, Impaired, Disabled, Stunned, etc. (in addition to dropping Strength & Stamina consistently).
Enemy (Namor)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 8 (110)

-A Namor villain I forgot TWICE- in my Ronin Army thread and nearly for this one (he must not appear on some online lists of Namor foes, because I statted losers as bad as Doctor Dorcas!), he's basically a generic thug who stands behind Attuma a lot of the time. As Attuma himself is a pretty one-dimensional bad guy with no interesting qualities, his GOONS aren't really a big deal, either- Tyrak's only big thing is that he can grow to 40 feet tall. Generally-speaking, he always shows up, challenges The Avengers... then just loses, because he's not that good. He even shows up in that Avengers/Alpha Flight/People's Protectorate story The Crossing Guard, which makes me even MORE curious as to why I never statted him!

-Tyrak is a generic goon, but can hit Thing-level Strength just about, making PL 10. It's enough to take on some Avengers for a short time, but the trademark defensive issues with Giants will usually do him in at the end of the scrap.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectrum

Re: Cheetara

Post by Spectrum »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:12 pm Image

CHEETARA
Played By:
Lynn Lipton
Role: Speedster, Miss Fanservice, Your First Crush
Yep! One of the famous gateway drugs for furries from the 1980s!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Tyrak

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:33 am Image

TYRAK
Created By:
Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 35 / Defenses: 8 (110)

-A Namor villain I forgot TWICE- in my Ronin Army thread and nearly for this one (he must not appear on some online lists of Namor foes, because I statted losers as bad as Doctor Dorcas!), he's basically a generic thug who stands behind Attuma a lot of the time. As Attuma himself is a pretty one-dimensional bad guy with no interesting qualities, his GOONS aren't really a big deal, either- Tyrak's only big thing is that he can grow to 40 feet tall. Generally-speaking, he always shows up, challenges The Avengers... then just loses, because he's not that good. He even shows up in that Avengers/Alpha Flight/People's Protectorate story The Crossing Guard, which makes me even MORE curious as to why I never statted him!
God that's such a dated look. Between the necklace, open shirt and shades he looks like some reject from the 70s.

Maybe it was something I missed, but Tyrak seemed to have some kind of limitation on his growth ability, hence why he didn't use it in The Crossing. He seems to require some kind of energy source to power his growth power, and will shrink back to normal if that power source is removed. In the Avengers Atlantis Attacks tie-in, they made a point about Tyrak taking over some place with some generators and used said generators to achieve a big enough size to fight Wonderman and a few other adventures. When the Human Torch (the original android who was a reserve Avenger at the time) destroyed those generators, Tyrak shrank back down to normal size and Simon casually KOed him.

I don't know if that's something that was written out or what, but it's one of the only two appearances of Tyrak I own, the other being the Avengers/Alpha Flight/People's Protectorate crossover.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Spectrum

Re: Jab’s Builds (Bryan Fury! Azazel! ThunderCats- HOOOOOOOOOO!!!)

Post by Spectrum »

Ares wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:28 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm The multiple mentions of Ghostbusters got me thinking..There's probably multiple builds of the original Ghostbusters team out there (though Real Ghostbusters would be a fun set), but then there's Filmation Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters (which is the one that I actually grew up watching on TV, oddly enough), both of which I doubt anyone ever bothered to stat.
Part of it is likely how the Filmation Ghostbusters is seen as a generally inferior cashgrab, which it was for the most part. Extreme Ghostbusters definitely has its fans and had some fun concepts, but it was generally not as well received. The really excellent IDW Ghostbusters comic actually incorporated the excellent 2009 Ghostbusters game and Kylie Griffin from Extreme Ghostbusters into the film-verses continuity.
Am I remembering correctly that the Filmation Ghostbusters was based on an older, separate property. Something about the copyright being threatened if the original studio didn't do something to make a counterargument. Of course, that I'm even writing this shows how much that failed.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Bryan Fury! Azazel! ThunderCats- HOOOOOOOOOO!!!)

Post by Ares »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:30 pm
Ares wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:28 pm
KorokoMystia wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 pm The multiple mentions of Ghostbusters got me thinking..There's probably multiple builds of the original Ghostbusters team out there (though Real Ghostbusters would be a fun set), but then there's Filmation Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters (which is the one that I actually grew up watching on TV, oddly enough), both of which I doubt anyone ever bothered to stat.
Part of it is likely how the Filmation Ghostbusters is seen as a generally inferior cashgrab, which it was for the most part. Extreme Ghostbusters definitely has its fans and had some fun concepts, but it was generally not as well received. The really excellent IDW Ghostbusters comic actually incorporated the excellent 2009 Ghostbusters game and Kylie Griffin from Extreme Ghostbusters into the film-verses continuity.
Am I remembering correctly that the Filmation Ghostbusters was based on an older, separate property. Something about the copyright being threatened if the original studio didn't do something to make a counterargument. Of course, that I'm even writing this shows how much that failed.
Filmation originally had a live action comedy series called The Ghost Busters in the 70s, but it lasted a single season before being quietly canceled. It wasn't very well received.

In the 80s, the people behind the film Ghostbusters found out about the TV show too late into production. It would have cost more money to change what they'd done than work out some deal with Filmation. So Filmation agreed to let them have the rights to the name for the purposes of making a movie.

When the movie was a success, Filmation offered to make a cartoon based off of the film. The film studio already had a different animation studio in mind, so they passed. However, Filmation still had the rights to the property "The Ghost Busters" and the film deal didn't apply to TV, so it created a new animated series about the kids of the 70s series now working as adult Ghostbusters themselves (notably dropping the "The" and making "Ghost Busters" into one word). The film studio likewise had the rights to make an adaptation of the property they owned, namely the film. So the courts decided both Ghostbusters shows could exist, so long as the film studio included something in the name to differentiate it from Filmation's Ghostbusters.

So as a dig at Filmation, the film studio called their show "The Real Ghostbusters".

Jabroniville

U-Man

Post by Jabroniville »

U-MAN (Merrano)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Frank Robbins
First Appearance: The Invaders #3 (Nov. 1975)
Role: Treasonous Scum
Group Affiliations: The Super-Axis
PL 9 (114)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 5 (+6)
Expertise (Atlantean Warrior) 6 (+7)
Expertise (History) 6 (+7)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+6)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Favoured Environment (Underwater), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Great Endurance, Ranged Combat 5

Powers:
"Atlantean Physiology"
Swimming 8 (120 mph) [8]
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure) [3]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Namor)- Merrano's hatred for Namor is such that he betrayed all of Atlantis to the Nazis, just to punish him.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 4 (114)

-U-Man's a Super-Axis creation of Roy Thomas for his Invaders retro-series, which went a long way at attempting to create more actual super-villains for Marvel's Golden Age offerings. He's super-strong by Atlantean standards, and was quite the threat back in the day, but is currently Just Another Name, and hasn't appeared much at all. Hell, the last non-flashback story which involved him was that massive Avengers/Alpha Flight/People's Protectorate story, where the Atlanteans came out of nowhere and then kinda failed to do anything much for the story other than fill it with more faces.

-Merrano was an Atlantean who hated Namor when they were boys, and this hatred caused him to ally with Nazi Germany during World War II. He chose a code-name based off of the legendary German U-Boats, and his intel allowed the Germans to bomb Atlantis, throwing Emperor Thakorr into a coma for the duration of the war. Merrano, as the U-Man, gained super-powers from Nazi science, and tore up the Allied fleet until the Invaders defeated him. He shows up with a band of other baddies (Master Man, Brain Drain & Sky Shark) in Marvel Two-In-One, where the Thing and the Liberty Legion defeat them while they're trying to blow up New York. In The Invaders again, he shows up being controlled by the Japanese spy Lady Lotus, fighting the Kid Commandos & Invaders, then joining the Super-Axis with her (alongside Master Man & Warrior Woman). His final appearance in modern times was in The Crossing Guard, where he's just a face in the background. Years later, The New Invaders would reveal that Merrano raped Lady Lotus for mind-controlling him, and the resulting child was Nia Noble, who joins the New Invaders with a combination of Atlantean & Telepathic powers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Tyrak

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:00 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:33 am
TYRAK
Created By:
God that's such a dated look. Between the necklace, open shirt and shades he looks like some reject from the 70s.

Maybe it was something I missed, but Tyrak seemed to have some kind of limitation on his growth ability, hence why he didn't use it in The Crossing. He seems to require some kind of energy source to power his growth power, and will shrink back to normal if that power source is removed. In the Avengers Atlantis Attacks tie-in, they made a point about Tyrak taking over some place with some generators and used said generators to achieve a big enough size to fight Wonderman and a few other adventures. When the Human Torch (the original android who was a reserve Avenger at the time) destroyed those generators, Tyrak shrank back down to normal size and Simon casually KOed him.

I don't know if that's something that was written out or what, but it's one of the only two appearances of Tyrak I own, the other being the Avengers/Alpha Flight/People's Protectorate crossover.
I can’t find any indication of those limits in the bios I’m reading online. But my only experience with that character is as a nobody in The Crossing.
HalloweenJack

Re: Dr. Dorcas

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:51 am )

-Dr. Dorcas may have the most awful name for a super-villain ever- it's both silly AND insulting!
I'll be honest, when I first heard of him (over at HC) I laughed out loud and thought for sure it was somebody making a joke.

It was not.

also...I never knew Tyrak could grow. I've got pretty much all of the Crossing (missing one issue) and he never grows there. Did he not have those powers then or did he just decided not to use them?
Jabroniville

Force

Post by Jabroniville »

FORCE (Clayton Wilson)
Created By:
Steve Gerber & Don Heck
First Appearance: Prince Namor, The Savage Sub-Mariner #67 (Nov. 1972)
Role: Jobber Villain
PL 10 (130)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Science) 3 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+2)
Technology 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Improved Defense, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Force Battlesuit" (Flaws: Removable) [59]
Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
Protection 5 (5)

Force Field 5 (Extras: Impervious 9) (14)
Electrical Aura 7 (28)
-- (73 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Battlesuit Strength +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Electrical Aura +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+8 Suit, +13 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- He dropped a promising ESU career to be a costumed super-villain.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 59 / Defenses: 8 (130)

-Force is your standard Jobber Villain, being an Empire State University student who steals a Force Field projector from his boss and becomes a super-villain using it, creating a battlesuit. He meets up with Namor and soon gets stomped for his actions (he's lucky it wasn't 2000s-Namor; THAT grouch would've just ripped his head off for inconveniencing him). He later shows up to harass Iron Man with a group of other Journeyman Villains (most of whom working for Justin Hammer, who upgrades their equipment), and sort of just becomes an Iron Man villain (was Gerber writing then?). He actually tries to reform, but is hunted by Hammer's favoured goons- Blacklash, Beetle, Blizzard... those types of guys. He actually shows up a few times as an ally, even arresting members of the Hood's Super-villain army, being one of the only minor-league villains to turn good and HAVE THE WRITERS REMEMBER.

-Force is a standard PL 8 Jobber on offense, being a pretty small-time sort of fellow, even though he was a Jobber to some fairly powerful guys (I imagine that '70s Namor & '80s Iron Man are more PL 11, though)- it's his Force Field that upgrades him to a PL 10 pain in the ass- he can take a lot of punishment with that level of durability.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I actually liked Force. He had a fun concept of a battlesuit that made use of a versatile gimmick, namely being able to project and shape force fields. He even had a nice little redemption arc and was a substitute Iron Man on several occasions. He got brought back as a hero to be Tony's bodyguard when Stark was Secretary of Defense, in the pictures armor that just screams "trying too hard".

Honestly, I'd just retcon the Force we saw with the Hood was some jobber in Force's armor. Let us keep one reformed villain at least. Heck, he's someone I'd try to Catman, give him a suit that basically gives the Silver Centurion Iron Man armor a helmet and symbol based on the original Force armor, giving him some more base power and more versatile force field system, similar to the last Iron Patriot.

His base armor also had an EMP generator that he did use regularly, and he could apparently upgrade his armors striking power by surrounding his fists with more intense Force Fields, which is how he was able to hang with Namor.

KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Funny thing is, after reading up on Force, I was reading some old Iron Man issues and he popped up. Because of that, I can confirm that he has some kind of Energy Blast (electromagnetic, maybe?) power in his armor, as well the EMP generator.
Jabroniville

Black Moray

Post by Jabroniville »

BLACK MORAY (Leon McKenzie)
Created By:
John Byrne & Jae Lee
First Appearance: Namor #26 (May 1992)
Role: Greedy Relative
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (120)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Business) 5 (+8)
Insight 2 (+5)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Technology 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Benefit 2 (Wealth), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Stingray Underwater Survival Suit" (Flaws: Removable) [51]
"Depth Charges" Blast 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (16) -- (19)
  • AE: "Electrode-Clamps" Damage 8 (8)
  • AE: "Helmet Lasers" Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: "Black Ink Clouds" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cloud +2, Attack) (Flaws: Limited to Underwater) (8)
"Recoil Dampeners" Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 8) (14)
"Telepathic Blockers" Immunity 20 (Mental Powers) (20)
Immunity 3 (Drowning, Cold, Pressure) (3)
Swimming 7 (60 mph) (7)
-- (63 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Depth Charges +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Helmet Lasers +6 (+8 Damage)
Electrode-Clamps +5 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+8 Suit), Fortitude +4, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Leon is willing to sell out Namor's own company to make a buck.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 11 (120)

-Black Moray debuted in a bit fo a Retcon- it was established that Namor's father Leonard remarried and had a son, who then had Leon, who was thus Namor's half-nephew. Leon grew up to be part of Namor's Oracle, Inc. organization. However, Leon was a dishonest man, using Oracle to fund eco-terrorists that he would use to collect insurance money for destroyed Oracle property. This was eventually found out by Namorita (acting CEO of Oracle), but he managed to avoid prison. 25 issues later, he made a deal with Sea Leopard, who was guarding his grandfather's sunken vessel, to get him some Antarctic Vibranium- and because John Byrne was no longer writing, Leon was now armored-up (Byrne considers such things cliches) as Black Moray. He attempts to force many people to be Sea Leopard's worshippers, but blows up the vessel to cover his escape. Enraged, Namor defeats him, then uses his Black Moray armor to block Sea Leopard's telepathy, which allows him to defeat THAT villain as well. Leon went to jail for this, and was never seen again.

-Black Moray provides one of those tricky situations with stats, in that he's basically Normal PL 0 Businessman, with empty stats... but then puts on a suit of armor and suddenly he's fighting super-heroes. Like... why are his Attack Bonuses now up to super-villain levels? Did he learn to fight while in jail? Who the hell taught him how to fire Helmet Lasers and use all his weapons? It's that weird thing where it comics, it's implied that everyone sucks at fighting to an equal amount unless they're a martial artist, so a regular nobody can gain powers and immediately be a threat to anyone. It doesn't jibe well with RPG stats (where you kind of have to have all non-NPCs at higher levels than NPCs to be playable).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.