Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Morgan Le Fay! Madelyne Pryor! Midnight Sun! Machine Teen!)

Post by Ares »

From what I remember, I don't think Madcap actually ever fought Captain America. I think Cap was out of town at the time Madcap first showed up and Nomad had to deal with the crazy nut job on his own.

But yeah, Madcap is less a direct threat so much as he's a source of danger for normal people. He's not like Carnage who will go around killing people. However, Madcap will cause people to lose their inhibitions and behave in a crazy manner. He's a perfect villain for heroes to have to behave like heroes and rescue people from doing insane stunts.

It's also kind of funny how he and Deadpool are basically so similar, and are a perfect example of the difference between Bronze Age and Iron/Dark Age sensibilities.

Madcap is able to completely regenerate from harm, but was driven mad by tragic circumstances, and now tries to impose a philosophy of pointlessness onto the world while dressed in a classic supervillain costume. He's a villain, but a tragic one, one who is no real threat in direct combat, but has abilities that force heroes to be more heroic by saving the people around him.

Deadpool is able to completely regenerate from harm, but was driven mad by the process of getting his powers, and now uses them to get rich by killing people while wearing an extreme outfit with lots of belt pouches, guns and swords. He's an anti-hero . . . or a villain . . . or a hero . . . or all of the above at different times in the same comic. He's a direct threat by being a hypercompetent fighter who can't die, and heroes often have to go to extreme lengths just to shut him up or put him down.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Mimic

Post by Jabroniville »

MIMIC (Calvin Rankin)
Created By:
Stan Lee & Werner Roth
First Appearance: The Uncanny X-Men #19 (April 1966)
Group Affiliations: The X-Men, The Dark X-Men
Role: Token Evil Teammate, Constantly-Limbo'd Character, The First Game-Breaking Mutant, The Power Copier
PL 12 (359)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 3/8 AGILITY 2/8
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+12)
Deception 4 (+4)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (X-Powers) 4 (+10)

Advantages:
Power Attack, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Chemically-Altered Powers: Absorbs All Superhuman Powers in Range"
Variable 14 (Extras: Reaction +3) [140]

"Permanent Powers of the Original Five X-Men"
"The Beast"
Enhanced Strength 6 [12]
Enhanced Stamina 5 [10]
Enhanced Agility 6 [12]
Features: May Use Feet as Hands [1]

"Marvel Girl's Telepathy" Mind-Reading 6 Linked to Communication (Mental) 2 (Extras: Area, Selective) [24]
"Calculate Angles" Quickness 4 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Calculations of Angles -2) [1]
"Mind Shield" Enhanced Will Check 2 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Attacks) [1]
Immunity 10 (Cold Effects) [10]
"Ice Slides" Flight 3 (16 mph) (Extras: Affects Others) (Flaws: Platform) [6]
Senses 1 (Infravision) [1]
Movement 1 (Sure-Footed) (Flaws: Limited to Ice) [1]

"Cyclops' Optic Blasts"
"Long-Range Beam" Damage 11 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2, Penetrating) (44) -- [63]
  • AE: "Standard Blast" Blast 11 (Feats: Accurate, Split, Ricochet 4) (Extras: Penetrating) (39)
  • AE: "Wide-Angle Beam" Damage 12 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone, Penetrating) (36)
  • AE: "Power Blast" Blast 12 (Extras: Penetrating 14) (40)
  • AE: "Multi-Blast" Blast 10 (Extras: Multiattack) (30)
    "Iceman's Ice Control"
  • AE: Affliction 10 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Ranged) (40)
  • AE: "Ice Wave" Affliction 10 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Area- 60ft. Cone) (40)
  • AE: "Ice Stream" Affliction 10 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Cumulative, Extra Condition, Area- 30ft. Line) (40)
  • AE: "Ice Slick" Affliction 10 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (20)
  • AE: "Ice Slick" Affliction 10 (Strength or Agility; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (20)
  • AE: Create Ice 8 (Feats: Dynamic, Innate, Precise) (Extras: Continuous) (26)
  • AE: Environment 5 (500 feet) (Impede Movement, Visibility, Cold 2) (Feats: Dynamic) (20)
  • AE: "Ice Slab" Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: "Cold Wave" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone, Fortitude Save) (30)
  • AE: "Make Brittle" Weaken Toughness 8 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Objects Only +0) (16)
    "Jean Grey's Mental Powers"
  • AE: "Mental Detection" Senses 4 (Mental Awareness, Radius, Extended, Acute) (4)
  • AE: "Mental Stun" Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (40)
  • AE: "Mental Blast" Damage 11 (Extras: Perception Range +2, Will Save) (44)
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 11 (Feats: Precise) (23)
  • AE: Deflect 11 (22)]
"Mutant Powers: Wings"
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- High Altitudes) [2]
Senses 1 (Extended Vision) [1]

"Angelic Wings"
Flight 7 (250 mph) (Feats: Subtle) (Flaws: Winged) [8]
Enhanced Advantages 6: Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Evasion 2, Move-By Action (Flaws: Limited to While Flying) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Area Attacks +11-12 (+11-12 Damage, DC 26-27)
Optic Blasts +10 (+10-12 Ranged Damage, DC 25-27)
Freeze +10 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Freezing/Ice/Mental Stun +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Mind-Reading -- (+6 Mind-Reading, DC 16)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +8 (+9 D.Roll), Fortitude +9, Will +4 (+6 vs. Mental Effects)

Complications:
Motivation (Power)
Responsibility (Bipolar Disorder)- Calvin is prone ot acting differently with each appearance. Well, most comic book characters do that, but in this case it's a medical issue.
Power Loss/Vulnerable (Going Over Five Subjects)- Mimic will suffer terrible damage if forced to go over mimicking five subjects.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 296 / Defenses: 11 (359)

Mimic- Often-Ignored Silver Age Character:
-Mimic's a very old character, and so unbelievably powerful that he only shows up rarely. Despite his great power, he's often been defeated (once by Warpath & Risque!) because he's rather stupid, and often bites off more than he can chew. He's a pretty good example of a throwaway 1960s villain, created to be just another Amazo-like "I have ALL of your powers!" kind of guy. Those were REALLY common back in the day, with the Justice League (Amazo), Fantastic Four (Super-Skrull), Avengers (Super-Adaptoid), and the X-Men all facing this exact type of villain. Unlike many of the X-Men's foes, Mimic WASN'T a mutant- he was just some kid who gained powers because of his dad's science experiments. Ronald Rankin tried to build a machine to make Calvin's powers to absorb the powers of others PERMANENT, but caused a cave-in that killed him.

-Mimic debuted acting like an asshole, trying to get the X-Men to help him use the device to gain permanent powers. He kidnapped Marvel Girl (of course), but was beaten when he tried to use the device- gaining Professor X's powers so that he could understand the device (because of Telelocation or whatever), he failed to realize that it didn't work, and he was de-powered. As was normal at the time, Professor X wiped his memory and sent him on his way (the '60s was BIG on "Mind-Wipe" endings). Later, his memory returned, and he DEMANDED to be made leader of the team- he was expelled after a fight with Cyclops, but showed his true potential when he saved the team from the Super-Adaptoid, tricking the android into trying to copy his own powers. Mimic is left de-powered as a result, but a better person (a "Stan Lee" kind of ending).

Mimic Post-Claremont:
-Mimic returned when his powers came back, but they were fatal to others. The Beast attempted to cure him, but he apparently died in a self-sacrificing battle against the Hulk. The character was thought dead for a NUMBER of years, until proximity to Wolverine caused some Regeneration to kick in and revive him. The character missed the entirety of Chris Claremont's run on X-Men, and didn't really start to do stuff until the 1990s, where he went insane and fought X-Force for a bit, before being recruited by Onslaught as one of his lieutenants. After this, however, he recoved a bit and was sent off to Muir Island, where he befriended Excalibur. And then... they forgot about him again.

-Fast-forward to modern times, and Mimic joins Norman Osborn's "Dark X-Men". However, Matt Fraction decided that his bizarre, back-and-forth leaps between good and evil WEREN'T inconsistent writing after all, but BIPOLAR DISORDER! He kept on with Osborn's team, but he soon sought help from the Beast again, and he befriended Weapon Omega before putting him into a life-saving coma. He briefly took part in some X-Stuff as an ally, actually sacrificing his wings in a surgical procedure to give Warren Worthington back his original set in a particularly funny cause of "Back To Basics Syndrome", finally sacrificing himself in order to stop Ahab from killing the time-displaced original five X-Men.

Mimic- Mostly Unused:
-I think the comparative obscurity of Mimic has something to do with his rare '60s appearances and the fact that Chris Claremont never really liked him- when the guy has control of the book for like 20 years, it's hard to make do with a comeback unless he's taken with you. It wasn't until modern times that his resurrected and got used here and there, but AGAIN the writers could never settle on him- it seemed like every time one writer wanted to write a "Good Mimic" story, the next one wanted to write an "Evil Mimic" story. In the end, it turned into complete nonsense- like the Mole Man, he flipped between good and bad so frequently that he never even got to stay consistent for more than two stories in a row! And so one writer does a story with a villainous Mimic (Dark X-Men), and then suddenly in the next one he's hanging around with the X-Men as a buddy again.

-The thing is, some writers just LOVE to use the "He has every one of your powers" thing, while others find the power problematic due to how overwhelming it can be. Because really... someone this powerful should NEVER be on a regular super-team- he can copy the exact powers of everyone else close to him! That makes everyone else on the team redundant! And when writers DO use him... the desire to just "Power-Geek" out with them can be overwhelming, especially in Marvel's more "Power-Crazy" era these days. The best solution was in the Exiles series, in which Cal Rankin is a 100% heroic Mimic whose powers are to copy only FIVE PEOPLE AT ONCE, and only at half their power level. This makes him super-versatile (he was probably STILL the best overall hero!), but kept his powers low enough that he couldn't just crush every threat (or overpower his teammates and make them look weak).

Mimic's Might:
-Mimic's as costly as they come, what with his MASSIVE power, allowing him to copy the powers and skills of anyone within range. The absolute range of his power varies, but basically, if you're fighting him, you're in it. He can copy tons of powers at once, it's always active (it once mimicked Wolverine's Healing Factor while Cal was IN A COMA), and it's a Burst Area Effect so he doesn't have to make an attack roll. In addition to those, he's got the powers of the Original Five X-Men on a permanent basis, making him already a threat WITHOUT his Mimicking Field going. He's notably weaker in Power Level unless he's absorbing Attack Focus or something, but at that point, you better watch out. I felt like limiting him to +11 on that, just for the sake of fairness. So he's not any higher in PL than the most elite X-Men, but hoo boy, is he ever more capable.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds (Morgan Le Fay! Madelyne Pryor! Midnight Sun! Machine Teen!)

Post by Ares »

Mimic is definitely one of my Red Guardian characters. My first exposure to him was a Marvel Comics Presents issue where Calvin was shown to look very much like Wolverine. They re-told Calvin's origin from start to finish, covering all of his appearances, and painting him as a somewhat sympathetic character. They explained that his initial power allowed him to absorb the physical abilities and skills of normal people, possibly some of their personality traits as well. He became arrogant because he was the best at everything, until he met the X-Men and his powers adapted to their mutant bodies. He lost the ability to mimic normal people, but gained actual superpowers as a result. But after getting de-powered, re-powered, leading the X-Men and sacrificing his powers against the Adaptoid, Calvin became a better person. So much so that he'd rather die than let his powers hurt anyone, resulting in him sacrificing himself via the Hulk's radiation to stop the threat his powers posed.

They also added a twist that since Calvin's powers had been the result of his father's experiments, his father had created an elaborate machine intended to de-power Mimic. In a weird twist, the revealed that the explosion that had killed his father had actually bound his soul to the machines, and once Prof. X had tricked the Mimic into activating them, his father's spirit could exert some influence over his son's powers. While his son's powers kept coming back, Mimic's dad tried to keep suppressing his power, but as a result, when Mimic left the machine's radius of control, his powers went out of control and started hurting people. Calvin's attempt to kill himself with the Hulk's radiation nearly worked, but Wolverine showed up in time for his first fight with the Hulk, and the linger gamma-rays in Calvin's system caused him to adopt Wolverine's appearance as well as his powers, saving his life but messing with his head.

There was also this sub-plot that Calvin's father might have been involved in Weapon X, but that never went anywhere.

The actual re-telling of the Mimic's backstory got me hooked onto the character, and while the entire story is kind of wonk with weird bits like the dad's ghost, it ended on a pretty positive note. The whole idea of the storyline was that Mimic's powers had influenced him so much throughout his life that he didn't really know who he was, and that much of what he'd done hadn't been his fault. Wolverine took the Mimic to a Zen Buddhist temple in Japan, and through meditation would be able to finally figure out who he was and become his own man.

So naturally a few years later he showed up as this weird bearded guy during the Onslaught crisis, his powers again being unstable and Onslaught being able to control him by offering to stabilize his powers. Then Excalibur used him as a hero. Then he got used as part of Mystique's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Then he was on Norman Osborn's Dark X-Men. Then on the real X-MEn. Now apparently he's dead.

The Bi-Polar thing didn't sit well with me, as I'm not sure how well it actually reflects people who have the disorder. I'd probably handwave his Onslaught era evil as Onslaught actively influencing the Mimic to be evil, and he struggled afterwards to rid himself of that influence for a while. I'd also have Norman Osborn be the one to suggest the bi-polar issue, claiming he could help Calvin control his problems with drugs that were instead intended to make him more susceptible to Norman's control.

If I were to try and "fix" the Mimic, I'd kind of go with the idea that the Exiles series put forth: that Mimic is actually a mutant, not a human who got his powers from a lab accident. 616 Mimic is unique compared to a few other Mimics, however, because the lab accident actually increased his powers dramatically, but made them unstable, which also destabilized his own mind for a while. I'd re-introduce him, maybe have him encounter the classic Exiles where Blink explains things, and they use some technology to stabilize his powers, as well as his mind.

His powers would now work as follows: he can copy the powers of anyone within a certain radius, though said radius is smaller than previous (it was originally one mile, probably make it 100 yards tops). He can store up to 5 power templates at once, but while someone is within his Mimic field he can freely use the powers of anyone in it. However, while he can normally control what powers he stores for later and which one gets discarded once they're out of range, if he over-uses a new power it could accidentally override one of his stored abilities, potentially costing him a power he had gotten good with because circumstances demanded he make use of a new one. Thus he can't always be relied on to have the best abilities of anyone after a fight, especially if they leave while he was actively copying someone else.

He can only copy the powers of someone whose abilities could be considered to essentially be overlayed over a base human biology. So he could copy the powers of mutants and humans who were altered by experiments or radiation, but not an alien (like Gladiator). He also can't mimic people whose powers are based on technology (either Iron Man or the Vision), Magic (Dr. Strange, Thor or Hercules) or copy the skills of others. Mimic would also copy the downsides of any powers he Mimicked, as well as any obvious physical mutations. Mimicking the Hulk would make him large, green and have anger issues, while Mimicking the Beast would make him blue and furry.

Then I'd put Mimic on a team full of people whose powers he can't copy, folks who are either trained normals, wield gadgets, power armor or mystic gear, get their power from magic, are spellcasters or aren't human. As such, he has to rely on his stored abilities, and they would change over the course of the series as fights and circumstances require him to keep changing powers and adapting to them. He thus never gets to one-up a teammate at what they're best at, and provides a unique shifting array of abilities.

Yeah, I know, I go on about that concept all of the time, but what can I say, I love the power copy concept and this is a unique way to have someone like Mimic or Peter Petrelli on a team and not make them overshadow their teammates.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Man-Monster

Post by Jabroniville »

MAN-MONSTER (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Stan Lee & John Romita
First Appearance: The Spectacular Spider-Man #1 (July 1968)
Role: Short-Lived Villain, Powerhouse
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (62)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Intimidation 11 (+8)
Perception 3 (+1)

Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Trade Defenses For Toughness)

Powers:
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Power-Lifting 1 (12 tons) [1]
"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +2

Complications:
Enemy (Richard Raleigh)- The would-be Mayor of New York is controlling the Man-Monster through pain receptors, which causes him to hate Raleigh.
Weakness (Back of the Neck)- The Man-Monster appears vulnerable to shots to the back of his neck. One from Spider-Man ends up killing him.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 12 (62)

-The Man-Monster is a cybernetically-enhanced giant of a man created by Richard Raleigh and some scientist working for him- Raleigh was running for Mayor of New York, and wanted the Man-Monster at his beck and call. This small-time hood was enhanced and controlled with a headband that caused him pain, and was sent to act on "False Flag" missions, destroying Raleigh's banners to make it look like the criminal underworld was attempting to hurt his campaign. Spider-Man saved Captain George Stacy from certain death at the hands of the Man-Monster, then recognized his hatred of Raleigh from the way he stared at Raleigh's campaign banners. Spidey led the Man-Monster back to Raleigh's townhouse, where an enraged Raleigh hammered on the pain-activator in the headband... so much that it broke. A freed Man-Monster thus crushed Raleigh's skull. A horrified Spider-Man then attacked him any way he knew how, finally finding a weak spot at the back of his neck. However, the Man-Monster then dropped over, dead.

-This one-off was in a black & white MAGAZINE, not the more well-known ongoing Spectacular Spider-Man, and was rather weird and possibly more "adult", as typically Spider-Man didn't kill people, even by accident. Curiously, five years later, they retold the same tale in Amazing Spider-Man, possibly because somebody ran out of time and they needed some quick filler. Gerry Conway adjusted the writing (George Stacy was dead at the time), and John Romita again did the art.

-The Man-Monster is another PL 8 Powerhouse, though rendered near-mindless by his enhancements.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Man-Eater

Post by Jabroniville »

MAN-EATER (Malcolm Gregory "Greg" Murphy)
Created By:
Greg Wright & Steven Butler
First Appearance: Silver Sable and the Wild Pack #8 (Jan. 1993)
Role: Forgotten Hero, Scrapper
Group Affiliation: The Intruders, The Garrison
PL 7 (74)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+10)
Intimidation 6 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Cold-Based Hunter" Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Cold) [2]

"Cat Agility" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Striped Coat" Enhanced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+9) (Flaws: Limited to Dark Forests & Jungles or Plains) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +6, Will +2

Complications:
Prejudice (Furry)- Man-Eater cannot pass for an ordinary human.
Involuntary Transformation (Feral)- Like most '90s-era Claw Guys, Man-Eater is prone to berserker rages.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 5 (74)

-So for Silver Sable's forgotten 1990s book (I've gone into repeatedly how Marvel over-extended their line and gave books to TONS of unworthy characters), a few new characters were created. Among them was Man-Eater, a tiger-man created from an evil experiment. He was freed by BattleStar (then a member of Sable's Wild Pack). He wouldn't join the team, but he'd end up on Sable's other group- The Intruders, alongside Paladin, Lightbright, a new Fin, and The Sandman. After Silver Sable ended, he disappeared until he joined Vermont's Initiative team, The Garrison. Not that he SAID or DID anything- he was just a background guy, probably chosen because the writer may have read Sable's book once upon a time and vaguely remembered the guy.

-An unknown guy who never mattered, Man-Eater can get PL 7 and like it. He's basically your standard Scrapper set-up with some Tiger-like extras.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Moonraker

Post by Jabroniville »

MOONRAKER (Slade Truman)
Created By:
Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning & Jimmy Cheung
First Appearance: Force Works #16 (Oct. 1995)
Role: Forgotten Hero
Group Affiliations: Force Works
PL 10 (206)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4/6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3/5 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6, +10)
Deception 6 (+8)
Investigation 2 (+5, +11)
Technology 2 (+5)
Vehicles 2 (+4, +8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 8, Teamwork

Powers:
Ionized Flame Blast 10 [20]

"Unintentional Time-Warping"
Affliction 10 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Transformed) (Feats: Subtle 2) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2, Reation +3) (Flaws: Uncontrolled, Limited to Acting Like His Own Timeline's People) [42]
Movement 3 (Time Travel 3) (Feats: Subtle 2) (Extras: Attack, Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Uncontrolled, Limited to Random Acts) [11]
Transform 5 (Anything to It's Alternate Reality Equivalent) (Feats: Subtle 2) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Uncontrolled) [22]

"Gustav Brandt's Abilities"
Enhanced Agility 2 [4]
Enhanced Awareness 2 [4]
Enhanced Skills 42: Acrobatics 2 (+10), Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13), Expertise (Arcane Lore) 4 (+7), Expertise (Priest of Pama) 5 (+8), Expertise (History) 6 (+9), Insight 3 (+8), Investigation 4 (+11), Perception 6 (+11), Stealth 5 (+11), Vehicles 4 (+8) [21]
Enhanced Advantages 11: Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Languages (A Few), Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Takedown [11]

"Martial Artist" Strength-Damage +1 [1]
"Spatial Awareness" Senses 5 (Spatial Sense- Ranged, Accurate, Radius) [5]

"The Place Between Places"
Movement 1 (Dimensional Movement) [2]
Remote Sensing 10 (Visuals & Hearing- 4 miles) (Feats: Dimensional) (Flaws: Limited to Within the Place Between Places) [21]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Libra's Abilities +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Time-Warping +10 Area (+10 Affliction, DC 20)
Flame Blast +10 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +4 (+6 Libra's Agility)

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (+12 Libra's Agility, DC 20-22), Parry +10 (+13 Libra's Skill, DC 20-23), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +3 (+5 Libra's Awareness)

Complications:
Relationship (Julia Carpenter)- Moonraker was the lover of Spider-Woman in his home reality.
Power Loss (Time-Warping)- Julia Carpenter's young daughter Rachel was unaffected by Moonraker's Time-Warping power, due to her childlike innocense. It's likely other children would be unaffected also. Sometimes it's not entirely Subtle, either.
"Libra's Complications"
Motivation (Balance)- Libra's goal in life is to balance good & evil, chaos & order, etc., on all sides.
Relationship (Mantis)- Libra is actually the father of the mysterious Celestial Madonna, though the two are not close.
Disabled (Blind)- Despite his power, Libra is actually blind. He would probably be unable to tell colours apart, and things like that. The Legion of Subsitute Heroes' Color Kid would be SCREWED against him.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 124 / Defenses: 8 (206)

-Ah, interesting. Moonraker here exists as the very LAST build from the original Atomic Think Tank yet posted over to a new site. April 2014 was the last time I posted him- May was the beginning of Ronin Army. The only people after him were the short-lived S-Men.

-Moonraker has a REALLY, REALLY complicated backstory, the kind of thing you only get by combining comic books with time travel- he is Slade Truman, a fire-spouting guy from an alternate universe who was chosen by the standard-universe Priests of Pama to be the repository for the soul of Gustav Brandt (aka Libra of The Zodiac Cartel). HOWEVER, his powers unintentionally resulted in changing the mainstream universe to match his own- for example, he and Julia "Spider-Woman" Carpenter were lovers in his world, so they suddenly became such in the mainstream one, too. He joined up with Force Works (a spin-off of the West Coast Avengers), dealing with effectively being reborn into a new body.

-However, he was only in three issues of Force Works and some corresponding crossovers in Avengers and War Machine before he was written out- effectively existing for three months. He was captured and tortured by Kang, and was said by Hank Pym to be fatally-injured as a result- Moonraker was last seen in Avengers Mansion at the end of The Crossing, but then never reappeared, because the story was so bad Marvel just wanted to ignore it forever. He was off-handedly mentioned in Avengers Forever as having been a Space Phantom, along with most of the other characters (including Kang) in that controversial (and awful) cross-over. And so we never saw him again.

-Moonraker's powers are REALLY weird- seemingly just being a Balster, he was given Libra's powers, but also has the ability to unintentionally alter time and reality to make people act like they did in his own reality- this is effectively a Burst Area Affliction that makes people think they're from an alternate reality. For example, Spider-Woman thought she was in love with him (and he with her), while Force Works acted like he'd ALWAYS been on their team. So it's a combination of Affliction (Brainwashing, sorta), Time Travel (he once made some orange juice travel back in time accidentally) & Transform (costumes and stuff might change), all Subtle and Uncontrolled.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Jab’s Builds (Madelyne Pryor! Machine Teen! Madcap! Mimic!)

Post by Ken »

My only comment on Moonraker is that the book is a lot better than the film.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Confession time.
Back in the day, I was really into the West Coast Avengers, much more than the New York team and, consequently, I was royally pissed when the series was canceled shortly after Bloodties (i.e. the 90s X-Men/Avengers crossover where they tried to make Exodus part of the backstory of Dane "Black Knight" Whitman.
Force Works wasn't a great title, it was literally another attempt to 90-fy the Avengers, which were perceived as a horribly old school team. It had the merit of finalizing the shift of John "U.S.Agent" Walker into a more interesting character than the mass of steroids he was (something that was promptly ignored as soon as Force Works ended). In general, the title was pretty mediocre and it's more or less a footnote of one of the worst eras of the Avengers and The Crossing was like the top of the turd. Even back then I tried to like that story, but it was fucked as all hell. Moonraker's insane backstory wasn't even the worst idea out of the entire event.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:34 pm Confession time.
Back in the day, I was really into the West Coast Avengers, much more than the New York team and, consequently, I was royally pissed when the series was canceled shortly after Bloodties (i.e. the 90s X-Men/Avengers crossover where they tried to make Exodus part of the backstory of Dane "Black Knight" Whitman.
Force Works wasn't a great title, it was literally another attempt to 90-fy the Avengers, which were perceived as a horribly old school team. It had the merit of finalizing the shift of John "U.S.Agent" Walker into a more interesting character than the mass of steroids he was (something that was promptly ignored as soon as Force Works ended). In general, the title was pretty mediocre and it's more or less a footnote of one of the worst eras of the Avengers and The Crossing was like the top of the turd. Even back then I tried to like that story, but it was fucked as all hell. Moonraker's insane backstory wasn't even the worst idea out of the entire event.
I was someone who liked both branches of the Avengers back in the day, and was likewise pretty pissed when the West Coast team was disbanded and remade into Force Works. The first issue had just horrible art, and introduced ultra-90s characters like Century, killed off long-time heroes like Wonder Man, and this eye got the most 90s versions of Marvel hero costumes. It didn't help when they tried to turn Iron Man into a sleeper agent of evil (tip to comic writers, unless you create the character and leave a lot of hints about them, this idea is terrible. See Hydra Cap) so they could replace him with a "hip, young, extreme" teen Tony.

It's a sad day when I have to look at the modern era of comics and the 90s and do a coin flip as to which one is worse.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

90s. No question.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

although after hearing about Heroes In Crisis....I'm not so sure.
Jabroniville

Mind-Wave

Post by Jabroniville »

MIND-WAVE (Eric Gelden)
Created By:
Marv Wolfman, Bob Brown & Jim Mooney
First Appearance: Daredevil #133 (May 1976)
Role: Jobber Villain, Mind-Controller
Group Affiliations: The Esper-Ts
PL 8 (118)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 4/10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 3 (+7)
Vehicles 6 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 12 (Think Tank- as Tank with Remote Control)

Powers:
"Mental Powers"
Remote Sensing 2 (120 feet) (Vision & Hearing) [6]
"Mental Stun" Affliction 2 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (8) -- [9]
  • AE: Mind Reading 4 (8)
"Think Tank Helmet" (Flaws: Removable) [36]
Senses 1 (Communication Link- Other Think Tank Wearers) (1)
Remote Sensing 3 (1000 feet) (Vision & Hearing) (9)

"Improved Fighting Via Mind-Reading"
Enhanced Fighting 6 (Flaws: Resisted by Will) (6)
Enhanced Dodge 3 (Flaws: Resisted by Will) (1.5)
Enhanced Parry 5 (Flaws: Resisted by Will) (2.5)

"Enhanced Stun" Affliction 6 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Perception Range +2, Cumulative) (24) -- (25)
  • AE: Mind Reading 4 (8)
-- (45 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Mental Stun +2 (+8 Think Tank, Perception Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (+10 Helmet, DC 17-20), Parry +6 (+11 Helmet, DC 16-21), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Mind-Wave is a pure megalomaniac, desiring control and power.

Total: Abilities: 28 / Skills: 20--15 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 12 (118)

-Mind-Wave's a perfect example of the old problem with Daredevil: His Rogues Gallery was unbelievably weak as a third-string Marvel hero. Enter one-shot losers like Mind-Wave, who used his "Think Tank" set-up to control the world or something, amping his "ESP" abilities with a special helmet of his own design (this is almost the exact concept behind Mentallo as well). He also used a Tank and a bunch of Mooks, but lasted only one story, being pummelled by DD and sent on his merry way. Next we saw, he was at the Bar With No Name to discuss the matter of The Scourge of the Underworld with twenty other Jobber Villains... and we all know how that one ended- with Scourge wiping out almost twenty jobbers in one shot. When he was resurrected to fight The Punisher, he got a similarly-poor showing, being blown up by a grenade while Punisher fought Mirage.

-Mind-Wave's very pathetic, but almost pricey considering his jobber-hood. He has baseline Mental Powers, which he could use to boost his Fighting Skills considerably, but they are advanced by his Think Tank Helmet. Plus he has a cool tank. A tank is actually a serious threat to a human-level guy like Daredevil, but the rest of the guy's a joke- easy to hit and no Toughness to speak of. He'd go down in seconds in a real firefight, and has proven it by dying to such things TWICE.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Man-Killer

Post by Jabroniville »

MAN-KILLER (Katrina Luisa Van Horn)
Created By:
Jim Mooney & Gerry Conway
First Appearance: Marvel Team-Up #8 (April 1973)
Role: Straw Feminist, Butch Chick, Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Masters of Evil, HYDRA, Advanced Idea Mechanics, The Thunderbolts
PL 9 (111)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Skier) 6 (+9) -- Uses Agility
Insight 4 (+4)
Intimidation 9 (+9)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Knives) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Throwing Knives), Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
Impervious Toughness 5 [5]
Leaping 3 (60 feet) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Throwing Knives +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +9 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +4

Complications:
Hatred (Men)- Man-Killer is, unsurprisingly, a killer of men. She is pro-Women's Lib to the point of being a militant feminist who actively wants men to die. She doesn't like to fight women, and goes out of her way to avoid it.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 11 (111)

-Man-Killer's another Straw Feminist comic book character, originally a champion skier who was brutally injured in a crash caused by an anti-woman skier. Debuting in those whacky Marvel Team-Up/Two-In-One era books to confound Spider-Man & The Cat (who later became Tigra), she was all "RAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH men must die!" like she was Thundra or a Grappler or something, wearing an exoskeleton that enhanced her strength. However, the next time she appeared, she was simply a buff, super-strong woman. She basically missed out on DECADES of comics, suddenly showing up again in the "Busiek Era" as one of the Crimson Cowl's Masters of Evil. There was a running deal in Thunderbolts that Atlas, a reformed villain, had figured out where she was hiding (not much chance hiding THAT physique!), but was unwilling to turn her in, figuring she deserved a second chance like he did.

-Later, Man-Killer changed her name to "Amazon" and joined Hawkeye's Thunderbolts, but this didn't last. When that book went away, she became one of those "Background Villains" who showed up from time to time. She was shown in the Initiative program at Camp H.A.M.M.E.R. now that super-villains were all in charge, again being a backgrounder, but became a standard villain again, joining Baron Zemo's new Masters of Evil in their assault on the Winter Soldier's incarnation of the Thunderbolts- she was apparently slain fighting Kobik, the new sentient Cosmic Cube given form.

-Fundamentally, Man-Killer takes the role of a Mini-Titania, or Delilah from the Spider-Man books- a big strong chick who can dish out a beating, and get punched by the hero without him seeming like a sexist goon. She's also gotten noticeably hotter over the years, going from a Butch Lesbian-looking brawny chick to more of a busty pretty chick who just happened to have big arms. Not that I'd kick either out of bed, mind you.

-Man-Killer's a solid, but heavily under-pointed, PL 9 Powerhouse. She's strong (much stronger than Spidey- the Appendix to the Marvel Handbook states she's likely around Class 25), but lacks many side powers associated with such characters, so she's still kind of minor league. She's no pushover, but she's got nothing fancy to her, and nothing that dozens of other characters don't already do better.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack of Spades

Re: Jab’s Builds (Madelyne Pryor! Madcap! Mimic! Man-Killer!)

Post by Jack of Spades »

When Man-Killer switched to her Amazon incarnation, she started using Pym Particles to grow. Not sure if that stuck.
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Madelyne Pryor! Madcap! Mimic! Man-Killer!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh man, that would just make a mess of that build, lol. Incredible amounts of Strength-shifting size.