Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Jab's Builds!

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

It's a shame I'm not more familiar with Street Fighter so I could offer actual comentary. Never really had the chance to play many fighting games in general actually. Will say though- I, too, approve of the build interuptions for the... ahem, 'lovely' picture dumps.

Bah, if only I had paid attention and noticed your Ever After stuff, that I'm at least familiar with through my little sister.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Jabroniville

SF Alpha

Post by Jabroniville »

STREET FIGHTER ALPHA:
-The intervening years between Super Street Fighter II Turbo and this series (called Street Fighter Zero in Japan, which is also a pretty bitchin' name) were FULL of Fighting Games from Capcom, who'd upgraded their graphical engine to the point where the damn things looked like animated cartoons (of course, the years would be unkind to many of the sprites, as cel graphics advanced AGAIN). Capcom had come out with an X-Men Fighting Game, featuring the most popular characters in the Marvel Universe at the time (along with friggin' SPIRAL for some goddamn reason...), followed by Dark Stalkers, which used Horror Monsters as the foundation for a fighter.

-People were thus drooling with anticipation over these brand-new graphics & fighting engines being used for Street Fighter III, which HAD TO be coming out soon, right? Well NOT SO FAST, because of course Capcom instead came out with a PREQUEL to the Street Fighter II series, featuring younger versions of their main characters! Now, this was actually a really neat idea in some respects, because there was some backstory worth exploring (most-notably, what happened to Guile's best friend Charlie). But of course it just retreaded the same old story.

-The fans still loved it, of course, despite the fact that 2-D Fighting Games were becoming less and less popular in the era of "3-D Is The New Shit". The graphics were amazing for the time, Fireballs were huge and colorful, and the Super Moves now looked incredible. The fighting system was more complex than ever, too- adding in Air Blocks and Chain Combos (where you could interrupt some of your moves). And then Capcom made some truly brilliant decisions- while the most popular characters from SF II returned (thus avoiding pissing off too many fans) in Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, Bison, Sagat & Akuma... we also saw the reintroduction of some long-lost characters! Sub-Boss Adon and Birdie (now reimagined as a large black man) joined the fray with updated movesets and characterizations. And then Capcom went and decided that their famous brawler Final Fight was now in canon with the Street Fighter universe! As the Beat 'Em Up genre had all but died by this point, it was a master-stroke to suddenly put the still-popular characters into a bigger universe. At first, however, they only stuck in Guy (the most agile hero) and Sodom, the second-level boss of the first game, and a bit of a joke character.

-The roster was further built-up with three newbies- Charlie (Nash in Japan), the best friend whose death at Bison's hands makes up the glut of Guile's entire backstory. Rose, a more mystical-looking opponent for M. Bison. And infamously, DAN HIBIKI, the fourth Shotoclone in the game... but an entertaining Joke Character stab at SNK, who'd been copying Capcom's stuff for years by this point. Curiously, the game is without an all-star Powerhouse except for Birdie, I guess. But he isn't a scratch on Zangief. And yeah, only 13 guys overall- a pretty small roster compared to the previous game, which had four more guys. But the new style of graphics was so overpowering that I think this was inevitable- X-Men & DarkStalkers didn't have that many guys either.

Roster:
(Returning from SF II)
1) Ryu (younger)
2) Ken (younger and with a ponytail)
3) Chun-Li (in a younger look with a skin-tight outfit with tights)
4) Sagat (now extremely muscular again)
5) M. Bison (End Boss again)
6) Akuma (Secret Boss again)

(Returning from SF I)
7) Birdie (now a giant black man)
8) Adon (now just a regular guy)

(Final Fight Characters)
9) Guy (Ninja)
10) Sodom (Weeaboo)

(New Characters)
11) Charlie Nash (Guile's long-lost buddy)
12) Rose (Magical Bison Enemy)
13) Dan Hibiki (Joke Character/Shotoclone)
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Builds!

Post by Jabroniville »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:It's a shame I'm not more familiar with Street Fighter so I could offer actual comentary. Never really had the chance to play many fighting games in general actually. Will say though- I, too, approve of the build interuptions for the... ahem, 'lovely' picture dumps.

Bah, if only I had paid attention and noticed your Ever After stuff, that I'm at least familiar with through my little sister.
Haha, don't worry man- just post your thoughts here! I don't mind when people bring up older builds to talk about some aspect of them- I actually prefer it!

---

And with the posting of the Street Fighter Alpha section, I have officially gotten ahead of where I was on the Ronin Army forum! I needed a few days to refresh (I'm sure you can imagine why), and while I was still a bit ahead on my builds, I wanted a bit of a "head-start", and not just dump out 25 builds in a single day!
Jabroniville

Dan Hibiki

Post by Jabroniville »

DAN HIBIKI
Created By:
Unknown
First Appearance: Street Fighter Alpha 2 (1996)
Home Country: Japan
Role: Joke Character, Take That (to SNK), Shotoclone
Vague Martial Art Basis: Karate (Saikyo-Ryu)
PL 7 (82)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+9)
Athletics 5 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 5 (+11)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+2)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Fireball) 5 (+8)

Advantages:
Equipment (Stacks of Autographed Photots), Ranged Attack 1

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Special Moves"
"Gadoken!" Blast 4 (Flaws: Distracting) (Diminished Range -2) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Gadoken +8 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Revenge Against Sagat, Dojo)- Dan became obsessed with defeating Sagat, the man who killed his father, Gou Hibiki (Gou had taken Sagat's eye in battle, and paid with his life). He constantly hunts both Sagat, and trainees for his new Dojo. He will do this by beating the $#!& out of people.
Weakness (Predictability)- Dan, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 2 + 11 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 16 (82)

-And now, the very FIRST "new build" of the all-new Jab's Builds... and it could only be Dan Hibiki!!

-Dan is a great parody of SNK's characters, created entirely to trash Capcom's rival company. He's based off of a piece of artwork on one arcade cabinet that featured Sagat holding the bloodied body of a man in a PINK GI designed around the Kyokugenryo Style of Art of Fighting's Sakazaki family, but with the haircut of Robert Garcia from the same game. The message was clear: "Our characters are the best, and SNK's rip-offs are nothing more than weak copies." This artwork proved popular enough that Capcom would bring it back for an EPIC appearance in Street Fighter Alpha as Dan Hibiki, the ultimate Joke Character of the Street Fighter franchise!

-The equivalent of Marvel taking a guy with Superman's powers and Batman's outfit and making him the most useless twit ever, Dan would say stuff like "I hate the art of fighting, but I want to be the king of fighters!", and, like the SNK characters, fought using a bunch of rip-offs of the Shotoclone style. His Fireball is short-ranged and/or slow, his Hurricane Kick/Gale Kick is just three kicks in sequence, and his Uppercut move is just a little jump!

-Capcom appears to love the crap out of him, and so he constantly reappears in various Capcom games. They gave him an interesting little backstory, with his father being killed by Sagat (in payment for taking Sagat's eye in a fight), he trained with Gouken but was kicked out for being too vengeful, and he's hunted Sagat for vengeance (Sagat, recognizing the same sense of revenge he once felt towards Ryu, willingly laid down for Dan to help his recovery).

-Dan is a classic Joke Character, but still maintains a half-threatening approach as a PL 7- he would have actually done okay in the original Street Fighter tournament. He's no great shakes, would lose to almost anybody good, and his Fireball is awful (a 25-foot range maximum!), but he would still beat up some goons, and +3 damage can still be Power Attacked up with his fairly decent accuracy. He's gotten to the point where he can even be a valid choice in a Tournament competition thanks to a few buffs here and there- in the old days, merely choosing Dan was considered an epic taunt, as the player was stating that he was so good, he could beat you even with the worst character in the game.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Re: Jab's Builds!- Super SF II, Akuma, Dan Hibiki!

Post by drkrash »

Thanks for your formal "welcome" post, Jab. As you know, I support your move over here and FWIW, I think it was the right decision. I'm looking forward to the Alpha builds. I think Alpha 3 is probably my favorite SF game to just pick up and play.

(Re: BGIII. She shouldn't be that hard to find, should she?)
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

drkrash wrote:(Re: BGIII. She shouldn't be that hard to find, should she?)
Based on a PM I received from one of the people on the pro-Fildrigar side, BGIII is on Facebook, although they didn't provide any details on what that user name was.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danelsan

Re: Akuma

Post by danelsan »

Jabroniville wrote: well, HIS NAME WAS "GOOKIE!" That is stupid as shit, and sounds absolutely ridiculous.
Specially so if you are gonna pronounce it wrong like that XD
Ken

Post by Ken »

FuzzyBoots wrote:Based on a PM I received from one of the people on the pro-Fildrigar side...
I'm going to recommend that we drop this. Certainly here.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ken wrote:
FuzzyBoots wrote:Based on a PM I received from one of the people on the pro-Fildrigar side...
I'm going to recommend that we drop this. Certainly here.
You're right. I edited out any identifying information other than "BGIII is apparently on Facebook".
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Dan, Shokan Slayer! :D
Formerly luketheduke86
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Hey Jab and everyone!

Glad to be over here on this New Earth now!
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Well, if the Jab insists... Ahem; being the son of a massive transformers nerd, and being a fan myself, I found it super cool to find you statted out a lot of the G1 stuff. I'm still going over them myself, but I will say that I already love what you've done. Seeing Unicron in all his glory was great too!
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Ken

Post by Ken »

Doctor Malsyn wrote:Well, if the Jab insists... Ahem; being the son of a massive transformers nerd, and being a fan myself,
As if I didn't feel old enough as it was. ;)
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Charlie Nash

Post by Jabroniville »

CHARLIE NASH
Created By:
Unknown
First Appearance: Street Fighter Alpha (1995)
Game Appearances: Street Fighter Alpha 1-3, Street Fighter V, X-Men (vs) Street Fighter, Capcom Fighting All-Stars, Marvel (vs) Capcom 2
Home Country: The United States
Role: Predecessor Buddy
Vague Martial Art Basis: Special Forces Training
PL 9 (158)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+14)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Military) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 3 (+5)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Sonic Boom) 2 (+12)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicled 7 (+10)

Advantages:
Cunning Fighter (Attack instead of Deception), Defensive Attack, Equipment 3 (Military Gear), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Sonic Boom), Improved Critical (Flash Kick), Improved Initiative, Leadership, Ranged Attack 7, Startle, Teamwork

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Martial Strike" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Special Moves"
"Sonic Boom" Blast 5 (Flaws: Reduced Defenses 1) (Diminished Range -2) (6) -- [7]
  • AE: "Flash Kick" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (3)
Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Sonic Boom +12 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Flash Kick +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications:
Motivation (Stopping Shadowloo/Bison)- Charlie is directly opposed to Bison, by order of the U.S. Government. This involves beating the $#!% out of people.
Responsibility (The U.S. Military)
Relationship (Guile)- Guile is Charlie's partner, and he looks after the less-experienced soldier.
Weakness (Predictability)- Charlie, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 62--31 / Advantages: 21 + 13 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 21 (158)

-Charlie's a pretty good idea, actually- what with him being so important to Guile's backstory, it was a natural to include him in the Alpha cast. He's basically a Guile Clone (despite "inventing" the moves canonically), doing a slightly-more-athletic version of many trademark Guile moves (especially his Flash Kick, which uses both feet and hits twice). They gave him a Wacky Anime Guy Hairstyle, tiny stylish specs, and a more colourful military uniform than the more "boring" Guile, but he's a pretty cool design overall. Alpha/SF IV left off with the idea that JUST MAYBE Charlie (called "Nash" in Japan- they later split the difference and made his whole name "Charlie Nash") may be alive after all, but I think that'd be lame- they already brought back GOUKEN of all people, f'r crissakes.

-Charlie is basically Guile, but slightly-different, and keyed to a PL 9 status. This is basically because I consider the Alpha crew a younger, less-experienced cast, and Guile eventually upgraded to surpass his mentor (Guile himself was probably PL 7-8 in the "Alpha" games). He's more Agile than Guile, and more charismatic to boot. He lacks some of Guile's "oomph", though.

CHARLIE NASH
Created By:
Unknown
First Appearance: Street Fighter Alpha (1995)
Game Appearances: Street Fighter Alpha 1-3, Street Fighter V, X-Men (vs) Street Fighter, Capcom Fighting All-Stars, Marvel (vs) Capcom 2
Home Country: The United States
Role: Predecessor Buddy
Vague Martial Art Basis: Special Forces Training
PL 9 (160)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 6 (+14)
Deception 2 (+5)
Expertise (Military) 8 (+10)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 3 (+5)
Insight 4 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Ranged Combat (Sonic Boom) 2 (+12)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 3 (+5)
Vehicled 7 (+10)

Advantages:
Cunning Fighter (Attack instead of Deception), Defensive Attack, Equipment 3 (Military Gear), Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Sonic Boom), Improved Critical (Flash Kick), Improved Initiative, Leadership, Ranged Attack 7, Startle, Teamwork

"World Warrior" Fighting Style: Accurate Attack (Jab), All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab (Grab), Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack (Roundhouse), Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Martial Strike" Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"Special Moves"
"Sonic Boom" Blast 5 (Flaws: Reduced Defenses 1) (Diminished Range -2) (6) -- [9]
  • AE: "Moonsault Slash" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Sonic Scythe" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Tragedy Assault" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Opponents Who Parried Last Round) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Sonic Boom +12 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Special Moves +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +4 (+5 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications:
Motivation (Stopping Shadowloo/Bison)- Charlie is directly opposed to Bison, now due to revenge- he died at Bison's hands. This involves beating the $#!% out of people.
Responsibility (The U.S. Military)
Relationship (Guile)- Guile is Charlie's partner, and the two were as close as brothers.
Weakness (Predictability)- Charlie, like all Street Fighters, cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time he tries the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, he will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 62--31 / Advantages: 21 + 13 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 21 (160)

-Naturally, Capcom just HAD TO BRING HIM BACK. And they did so... by turning him into a Frankenstein's Monster? With green patches sewed onto his body? That's, like, a whole new level of dumb. A bit "undead" and hunting Bison for revenge, he apparently dies in his own ending, sacrificing himself to blow up the new Psycho Drive. He gains some new moves in the meantime, replacing the Flash Kick with two similar moves (though one moves more like Adon's Jaguar Kick), and adding the "Tragedy Assault", a Grab + Electrify move.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Akuma

Post by Jabroniville »

danelsan wrote:
Jabroniville wrote: well, HIS NAME WAS "GOOKIE!" That is stupid as shit, and sounds absolutely ridiculous.
Specially so if you are gonna pronounce it wrong like that XD
How's it supposed to be pronounced? More like "Goh-ookie?" The "ou" sound typically just sounds like "oo" to me when I hear it in actual Japanese words ("Hadouken!").