Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Sugar Man

Post by Jabroniville »

Ew. Just EW.

SUGAR MAN
Created By:
Scott Lobdell & Chris Bachalo
First Appearance: Generation Next #2 (1995)
Role: Gross Villain
Group Affiliations: Genegineers, The Seattle Core
PL 10 (187)
STRENGTH
6/9 STAMINA 7/9 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills: 
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 9 (+15)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Technology 7 (+13)
Perception 8 (+11)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Diehard, Equipment 3 (Lab), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Tongue), Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 10, Startle, Takedown 2, Taunt

Powers:
"Mutant Powers: Freak of Nature"
"Four Arms" Extra Limbs 2 [2]
Regeneration 4 (Feats: Regrowth) [5]
Senses 4 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Accurate Scent) [4]
Mind-Reading 8 (Flaws: Limited to Emotions, Limited to Fear) [4]
"Bio-Energy Tongue" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach 5, Affects Insubstantial) (Extras: Penetrating 10) [17]

"Mass Control"
Shrinking 16 (19) -- [20]
(-4 Strength, -2 Speed, +8 Defenses, +16 Stealth, -6 Intimidation)
Reduced Strength 1 (-2)
Reduced Stamina 1 (-2)
Reduced Skills 4: Stealth -4 (-1)
Reduced Defenses 4 (-8)

"Large Size" (9 points)
Enhanced Strength 3 (6)
Enhanced Stamina 2 (4)
Strength-Damage +0 (Feats: Reach) (1)
Features 2: Increased Mass 2 (2)
Enhanced Skills 4: Intimidation 4 (+12) (1)

Reduced Skills 4: Stealth 4 (+0) (-1)
Reduced Defenses 2 (-4)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Growth +10 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Tongue +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +7, Fortitude +9, Will +8
"Large Size" Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +9, Fortitude +11, Will +8
"Small Size" Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +6, Fortitude +9, Will +8

Complications: 
Motivation (Survival)
Involuntary Transformation (Small Size)- If Sugar Man has to Regenerate from VERY heavy damage, he will be stuck in tiny form until he can heal enough.
Prejudice (Obvious Mutant)- Sugar Man is usually enormous and is basically a giant head with four arms and two legs attached. He cannot pass for an ordinary human being under any circumstances.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 29 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 15 (187)

-Yeesh, what a repulsive villain. That's kind of the POINT of a guy like Sugar Man, of course. Debuting in Generation Next, part of the Age Of Apocalypse storyline, Sugar Man was a major henchman of Apocalypse, having no Regular Earth-equivalent. I don't think the Dark Riders were much of a part of that storyline at ALL (they were mostly done as characters by that point), but Sugar Man was one of the few characters to outlive that story alongside Holocaust, Dark Beast & Nate Grey. He 'ported to Earth-616's main timeline (avoiding death by shrinking to tiny size), and became a recurring foe in some of the mid '90s X-Books, usually being a big, gross snarker. He also helps form the Apartheid-like nation known as Genosha, giving their Genegineer the idea for the process that bonds Mutants to the Magistrates that help run the nation.

-Sugar Man appears repeatedly, but never really amounts to much- he's just kind of an occasional threat- he also works with Dark Beast and Mr. Sinister a lot. He was apparently slain by Callisto in the Genosha-themed Excalibur book, but reappeared quickly in a few books, including the Abnett/Lanning New Mutants series, when the ex-students were doing a "we're catching rogue mutants" thing. During most of this, he acts as a Sinister-like "I manipulate and experiment from behind the scenes", but often takes grotesque amounts of damage, being "left for dead" more than once- I've missed almost all of his latest appearances, but they're actually rather frequent for a '90s villain.

-But yeah, a giant M.O.D.O.K.-sized head with four (comparatively) scrawny arms, a mohawk, and a super-elongated sharp tongue? Gross.

-Sugar Man's expensive, but not overly strong- he can give super-teams a good fight for a PL 10, though. He slowly regenerates, can Shrink at will (but is usually rather large), has a super-powerful Tongue that can tear through concrete easily, limited Fear-Sense, four arms, minor Super-Strength, and quite a few Advantages to add to his decent fighting skill. He's also one scary, intimidating bastard, as well as a genius geneticist (he was retconned into being a major force in Genosha, aiding their Mutate process). Note that I had to screw around with the Shrinking variables a bit to not break his PL- the power is usually problematic for guys who are pretty tough in their base form.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (S.G. Scarlet! Storm! Starblasters! Slug! Sugar Man!)

Post by Ken »

Storm is from Egypt and Kenya?

Isn't that like being from Quebec and North Carolina?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

[Sugarman] also helps form the Apartheid-like nation known as Genosha, giving their Genegineer the idea for the process that bonds Mutants to the Magistrates that help run the nation.
Am I completely misremembering the timeline? I could have sworn that Genosha and the mutate-magistrate bonding was a part of several storylines (I'm specifically think of Havok and Wolfsbane during the early "government agents" era of X-Factor) that came about many years prior to the Age of Apocalypse...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote:Storm is from Egypt and Kenya?

Isn't that like being from Quebec and North Carolina?
She was born and spent her formative years in Kenya and is ethnically Kenyan; after her parents died, she spent her adolescence and early teens living in Egypt as a refuge, orphan, and thief. When her mutation manifested, she returned to Kenya as a teenager and lived there until she recruited as a young adult into the all-new, all-different [s]Justice League International[/s] X-Men.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Sugar Man, the Dark Beast, and the other AofA holdouts all hail from an age of X-men comics I pretty much missed entirely; when AofA was announced, I was already suffering from X-fatigue, and decided to use the whole line-wide crossover as a "jumping OFF" point. There were YEARS gone by before I read any of the core X-books again, though I still checked out the odd spin-off book or miniseries from time to time. Eventually I came back to enjoy books like X-Factor and occasionally the stand-alone Wolverine book, along with my beloved original Exiles run. But I was never as big a fan of Marvel's Merry Mutants as before. I still think the characters just need to be streamlined and cleaned up a bit-resolve the extraneous, never-ending subplots, pare away some of the nonsense in certain back stories (I'm looking at you three, Scott, Ororo, and Logan!), ret-con away some absolute junk (Romulus, Azazel, Prof. X being a borderline sociopath), and for goodness' sake, send the original team back to their own time period! Then we'll talk.

Though I still want the mutants restored to their proper place in the MU, and for Marvel executive/editorial to forget the whole "the Inhumans will hit big anytime now! ANY TIME NOW!", cause it's not going to happen.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote:
[Sugarman] also helps form the Apartheid-like nation known as Genosha, giving their Genegineer the idea for the process that bonds Mutants to the Magistrates that help run the nation.
Am I completely misremembering the timeline? I could have sworn that Genosha and the mutate-magistrate bonding was a part of several storylines (I'm specifically think of Havok and Wolfsbane during the early "government agents" era of X-Factor) that came about many years prior to the Age of Apocalypse...
Retcon via Time Travel. The AoA gang ended up 20 years in the main Earth's past.

You see, the X-Editors were sitting around one day, and one of them was like "hey! You know what this line needs? Some more f*cking complications and Retcons!" He was immediately promoted and put in charge of everything.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That sounds so stupid it must be true.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote:That sounds so stupid it must be true.
What's scary is that's not even CLOSE to the dumbest and most pointless X-Retcon ever. My personal least-favorite is still the "There was ANOTHER group of X-Men that fought and lost to Krakoa", which served to introduce Vulcan. SUCH a piece of crap storyline...
Jabroniville

Star-Thief

Post by Jabroniville »

STAR-THIEF I (Barry Bauman)
Created By:
Jim Starlin & Steve Leiahola
First Appearance: Warlock #12 (April 1976)
Role: Bathroom Psychic
PL 16 (156)
STRENGTH
-- STAMINA 0 AGILITY --
FIGHTING -- DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Expertise (Science) 4 (+8)
Expertise (The Universe) 10 (+14)
Perception 6 (+10)
Technology 4 (+8)

Advantages:
Power Attack

Powers:
"Astral Projection" Remote Sensing (Vision, Hearing) 20 (Feats: Dynamic) [61]
"Animate Matter" Summon 8 (Extras: Active, Variable +2) [35]

"Hide Stars" Movement 2 (Dimensional Travel- Pocket Dimensions) (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Attack 15, Perception-Ranged) (50) -- [53]
  • AE: Move Object 16 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Psychokinesis- Perception-Ranged) (49)
  • AE: Mind Control 12 (Feats: Dynamic) (49)
  • AE: "Alter Perceptions" Illusion 8 (All Senses) (Feats: Dynamic) (Flaws: Will-Based) (33)
Offense:
Unarmed -- (No Damage)
Movement Attack -- (+15 Perception-Ranged Movement, DC 25)
Mind Control -- (+12 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative --

Defenses:
Dodge -- (DC 00), Parry -- (DC 00), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- The Star-Thief likes to control others, and is expanding his mind of the universe.

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 149 / Defenses: 4 (156)

-This Star-Thief (hyphenated, and not the same as the one from The New Warriors) was a man trapped in a vegetative state, having been born with a nerve disorder that disallowed him the use of his five senses. Left in his own world of self-discovery, Barry developed one of those super-scientific "he uses 100% of his brain" powers, becoming ultra powerful. He began traipsing across space by astral projection, and even started hiding stars in pocket dimensions. He came to the attention of Adam Warlock, using the hero for his own amusement, but lost control of the male nurse whom he'd been controlling for a while- the nurse then shot Star-Thief through the head. His body dead, his mind was still left unfettered, but was soon trapped within Warlock's Soul Gem. However, he was later revealed to have escaped capture, and was bouncing from body-to-body- Rocket Raccoon was able to trap him inside a mental prison.

-Star-Thief is an interesting look at a supremely-powerful "Bathroom Psychic", a nickname given to characters who can manipulate the world via the comfort of their own homes. In this particular case, his body is utterly helpless, but his powers are vast and far-reaching, allowing him to move stuff as far as he can percieve, and he can pretty much percieve anything.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

The Bathroom Psychic is an interesting character type for NPCs, but SO not suitable for a PC. They share a host of issues with Shadowrun Riggers and sometimes Deckers. The character doesn't face the same peril as the rest of the party, and their biggest weakness - a helpless meat body - is something a good GM won't casually exploit, and won't threaten with more than once, because then it just gets old. Plus, just being NOT ACTUALLY THERE adds another layer of distance to the roleplaying. Tricky to make the experience satisfying.

Hey Jab. Check Star-Thief's Complications.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote:
Batgirl III wrote:That sounds so stupid it must be true.
What's scary is that's not even CLOSE to the dumbest and most pointless X-Retcon ever. My personal least-favorite is still the "There was ANOTHER group of X-Men that fought and lost to Krakoa", which served to introduce Vulcan. SUCH a piece of crap storyline...
I totally agree.

They shoe-horned that crap into a crevice of space in the All-New, All-Different X-Men story.

I think that other group should now be retconned as a delusion of Xavier's...
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I find it weird that villain named Shotgun uses a high powered rifle...

Though Sugar-Man is super creepy I don't find him nearly as bad as Mojo, who I find particularly disturbing.
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Star Thief

Post by Jabroniville »

STAR THIEF (Ditmal Pirval)
Created By:
Fabian Nicieza & Mark Bagley
First Appearance: The New Warriors #5 (Dec. 1993)
Role: One-Shot Villain, Super-Environmentalist
Group Affiliations: None
PL 10 (188)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9)
Expertise (Space Travel) 8 (+10)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Blasts) 4 (+8)
Technology 6 (+8)
Vehicles 4 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Flight 9 (1,000 mph) [18]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]
Immunity 21 (Radiation Effects, Aging, Life Support) [21]
"Venting Energies" Environment 1 (30 feet) (Heat 2) (Extras: Continuous) (Flaws: Permanent) [4]

Radiation Blast 12 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split, Penetrating 8) (34) -- [37]
  • AE: "Radiation Beam" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (30)
  • AE: "Radiation Wave" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Cone) (20)
  • AE: "Radiation Storm" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (30)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Radiation Blast +8 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Radiation Area Attacks +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +10, Fortitude +11, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Destroying the Space Programs of the World)- Star Thief's family was killed by a Kill-Satellite gone wrong. Now, he strives to remove all satellites and orbital power from the world, and negate all advances in space-based technology.
Weakness (Containment Suit)- Without his containment suit, the Star Thief will discorporate.

Total: Abilities: 70 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 82 / Defenses: 10 (188)

-Star Thief was a one-shot New Warriors foe, who was devoted to wiping out space programs after an accident killed his family and warped his body. The Warriors tried to stop him (after Marvel Boy pointed out that he IS a criminal, and they're supposed to stop them, after all...), some of them got sent into space (where Vance & Firestar had their first "moment"), and they ended up meeting The Inhumans. Star Thief went NUTS, tried to wipe them all out (since a CITY on the MOON is kind of against his philosophy and all), but after a team-up to stop the rocket headed to Attilan, he decided to stick around and join The Inhumans. He was, of course, never seen again, as Nicieza apparently had no more ideas, and the NEXT person to use the Inhumans on any serious level (Paul Jenkins?) had probably never heard of this 1993-made character before. Too bad- he doesn't have a bad design at all, and his powers were pretty decent.

-Star Thief showcases one of the more odd things about comics- a simple family man from New Delhi is able to gain powers, and then suddenly becomes a formidable hand-to-hand combatant, able to dodge & grab experienced super-heroes. His power level was enough to fend off ALL of The New Warriors, and he even took a number of hits from the Inhuman Royal Family, so he's a tough nut to crack, for sure. He's powerful, has Area Attacks, and is durable enough to take Black Bolt's energy attack, Nova's punches, Firestar's Blasts, Gorgon's double-stomp and Karnak's Weakness Attacking power before going down (the penultimate attack merely cracked his armoured shell).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Star-Thief II

Post by Jabroniville »

STAR-THIEF II (Ilse Pterigil):
-The second Star-Thief comes about in The Defenders, and is so similar to the first one that it comes off like a deliberate attempt to re-do the story. This one is the Princess of an alien race that was wounded and went into a coma. Unconscious and probably a bit psychic, she utilized the power of Kubik, who had recently developed into an actual thinking being (from his original form as a Cosmic Cube)- she could now grant any wish she desired. Annoyed by the "small lights" near her (since she was injured by a laser), she began wiping them out... only these "small lights" were STARS. She put them all in pocket dimensions. Thankfully, some of these stars were sentient (oh, comics), and sent a warning to one particular living nebula, who became the Defender known as Cloud. Though she was amnesiac at first, soon Cloud came to help her allies in the Defenders, along with a helpful Kubik. Together, they convinced this Princess to return the stars to their rightful places, and recovered from her coma.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Iceman, Valkyrie, Hawkeye? (Handlebar Head Man?), Beast, Gargoyle, Cloud?, Captain America, ???, Angel, ?, ?, ?, ?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.