Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Superman! Lois! Metallo! Bizarro! Luminus! Lex Luthor!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:53 pm Livewire was also able to teleport using powerlines as a medium.
ah, OK, I'll add that. It's basically "Teleport (Medium)". I mean, the power even basically describes that, I think.
Jabroniville

Re: Parasite

Post by Jabroniville »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:12 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:27 am-Yeah, that is one seriously powerful Affliction super-combo. Parasite can drain someone as powerful as Superman of all their powers, drain their Stamina at the same time (killing them), gaining their memories AND skills for a brief period of time, and basically turns into a lethal PL 12 powerhouse if he gets a kryptonian to duplicate. Much less powerful if he's fighting some regular League members, but if Superman fights him, watch out. And of course I owe this build to Taliesin, because ever since he revealed in a podcast how he was building the official Parasite for "DCA" (which was a year ago... and the book still hasn't come out), I've known how to properly-build Power Thieves. Linked stuff for the win!
You might want to boost the weaken stamina by 2=3 ranks to make it lethal. Weaken works by lowering PP, meaning that in order to reach -6 where it needs to be to kill you need 11 ranks at a minimum if the GM is willing to round up. And that's just from an initial start of 0 ranks of stamina.

I'm curious about the affliction and power stealing, is the Mimic also grab based? It doesn't have the flaw but most of the time with power thieves the mimic is tied to how the Affliction works and if the affliction doesn't proc then the mimic doesn't work. From the way it's built it seems like he can steal powers, then apply the affliction and weak which probably works best since his default strength wouldn't let him succeed a grab vs anyone but a civilian.
I don't think I've ever seen Parasite kill someone with it, but he "drinks" bats and Mooks and just leaves them laying pretty quickly. Though cost isn't really a factor here; I just threw in some lower ranks because I think people are usually okay after they rest.

I think the Power Thievery is more or less instant, because as you noted, he isn't normally strong enough to grab Superman. Typically he'll score a sneak attack, and Superman is INSTANTLY like "HHHHNNNNGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" and often taken right out of the fight after a few rounds (the Secret Society two-parter is basically nothing but Superman being taken out this way in group fights)- the Strength Boost appears almost instantaneous by contrast, so all he has to do is be touching someone.
Jabroniville

Galatea

Post by Jabroniville »

"More mature", indeed.

GALATEA
Created By:
Robert Goodman, Stan Berkowitz & Dan Riba
First Appearance: "Fearful Symmetry"
Role: The Evil Clone, Miss Fanservice, Brutal Warrior
Voice Actor: Nicholle Tom
Finest Moment: Beats the ever-loving sh*t out of Steel with absolute ease.
PL 12 (215)
STRENGTH
13 STAMINA 13 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+11)
Deception 5 (+8, +10 Attractive)
Insight 2 (+3)
Intimidation 8 (+11)
Perception 7 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+5, +7 Attractive)
Ranged Combat (Heat Vision) 4 (+12)
Technology 4 (+6)
Vehicles 5 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Attractive, Chokehold, Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 2, Improved Initiative, Improved Hold, Interpose, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
Flight 9 (1,000 mph) [18]
Movement 1 (Space Travel 1) [2]
"Heat Vision" Blast 12 [24]
Power-Lifting 3 (1,600 tons) [3]
Impervious Toughness 11 [11]
Senses 12 (Microscopic Vision 2, Extended Vision 2, Extended Hearing 2, Vision Penetrates Concealment, Infravision, Ultra-Hearing) [12]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+13 Damage, DC 28)
Heat Vision +12 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +13, Fortitude +13, Will +5

Complications:
Power Loss, Weakness (All Powers, Kryptonite Exposure)- The dreaded green rock (which is VERY common at times) will neutralize Galatea's powers, AND rapidly poison her.
Vulnerable (Magical & Electrical Attacks)- Galatea loses her Impervious Toughness against either type of attack, and takes more damage as well.
Power Loss (Red Sun Radiation)- Galatea takes extra damage from Red Sun Radiation, and her powers will start to fade in proximity as well.
Power Loss (X-Ray Vision)- Kryptonian X-Ray Vision cannot penetrate Lead.
Enemy (Supergirl)- Galatea has a vicious hatred for her "forebear", and seeks her immediate death.
Relationship (Dr. Emil Hamilton)- Galatea, despite being a genetic creation, views Hamilton as a father, even hugging him goodbye in her final appearance, saying "Goodbye, daddy."

Total: Abilities: 88 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 70 / Defenses: 14 (215)

-Galatea's story was frickin' AWESOME in JLU, and a perfect example of the show's strengths. She's the genetic creation of Supergirl, cloned by Dr. Emil Hamilton (who named her after the Greek statue brought to life by Aphrodite when a sculptor fell in love with his work), a "Superman" supporting cast member at Cadmus Labs. Since Cadmus was "the Government Gone Kinda Rogue", they realistically needed an anti-Kryptonian plan, and who better than a clone of one? Super-aged (because anything comics-related MUST super-age babies), and given an appearance similar to Power Girl (part-homage), Galatea was VICIOUSLY powerful, and way more than Supergirl could handle. Which of course makes her the perfect opponent for Kara.

-Galatea's final appearance was great, as she led a horde of cloned Ultimen against the League's Satellite on a mission of extermination. Fueled by hatred, she ignored Amanda Waller's orders to call off the attack, and went after Kara, but not before beating Steel within an inch of his life. Galatea then beat the snot out of KARA, but Kara fought back, and in one of the show's most-violent scenes, Supergirl grabbed a massive power-conductor coil and jammed in into it's socket- WITH GALATEA STUCK BETWEEN THEM.

-Galatea is extremely powerful, rivalling Superman (she effectively crosses the distance between Kara & Kal-El, though she's a better fighter than Kal is), and it's almost impossible for PL 10.5 Supergirl to beat a PL 12 opponent. She's even got more Advantages than Kara- her only real weakness is in her Defenses- she's got a low Will Save.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirrelly-sama

Re: Galatea

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:43 pm Image

"More mature", indeed.
Reminds me of the Sailor Moon episode where they were arguing over who would get the part in some show or play and Jupiter said she would get it because she had the most "Talent" while proudly displaying her larger chest the rest of the girls. Made funnier by the fact that in the original she outright told them it was because she had the largest chest.

To me Galatea will always be one of the main reasons I can't take CADMUS seriously in any continuity. Everytime they do anything it always ends up screwing up everything. They wanted to be safe from superman so they created an evil superman they can't fully control and is power hungry and sadistic. They wanted to avoid crazed demi-god maniacs trying to take over the world and back Luthor for bribe money. They want to ensure there's always a world with a kind man with a strong sense of morals who wouldn't kill a child for a nebulous greater good, they decide to genetically mutate a man so he will pass on another man's genetic code then plan to murder said man and his wife in front of their child so he can be properly traumatized into becoming a second batman.
Jabroniville

Maxima

Post by Jabroniville »

MAXIMA
Created By:
Roger Stern & George Perez
First Appearance: Action Comics #645 (Sept. 1989)
Voice Actor: Sharon Lawrence
Role: Aggressive Sexy Space Bitch
Group Affiliations: The Superman Revenge Squad, The Justice League, Extreme Justice
PL 11 (156)
STRENGTH
8/10 STAMINA 9/11 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Space Bitch) 7 (+9)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 6 (+9)

Advantages:
Equipment (Sword +2), Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Blast), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Gene Therapy & Careful Breeding"
Enhanced Strength 4 [8]
Enhanced Stamina 4 [8]

"Portable Blaster" (Flaws: Removable) [33]
Teleport 10 (Extras: Accurate, Extended) (40) -- (41 points)
  • AE: Blast 12 (24)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Boosted Strength +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Sword +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Beams +10 (+12 Ranged Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +12, Fortitude +8 (+12 Boost), Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Seeking a Mate)- Maxima wishes for a suitable mate to sire her offspring- the future ruler of Almerac.
Relationship (Amazing Man)- The two were together until their version of the Justice League split up.
Responsibility (Pride)- Maxima has a great deal of noble pride, and does not take kindly to being rebuffed romantically. She expects men to merely drop trou in her presence, I guess.

Total: Abilities: 74 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 10 (156)

-Maxima is part of that ever-popular comic book story- the sexually-aggressive paramour that desires to tear the male hero's clothes off and make rape-babies with him. Somethin' about that character type appeals to male comic book writers, I guess :). She wanted to jump Kal-El's bones, but was rebuffed, and joined the Justice League on Earth after her planet was threatened by Brainiac. When Supes rejected her AGAIN (this time, he was married), she decided to join the murderous Superman Revenge Squad- generally speaking, she was often hard to deal with, rather imperious, and hyper-demanding. My kinda gal- the classic George Perez look doesn't hurt, either. Later, she allied with Supes and Darkseid against Imperiex, and met her death against Brainiac 13's Warworld.

-In the cartoon, Maxima basically combined that with being a total spoiled brat; We start off with Maxima beating the hell out of a guy, screaming at everyone around her in a raspy voice, barking commands, then taking a bath while contemplating demanding someone breed with her. WELP, I'm in love already. Then she goes to Earth to find her "equal partner" in Superman, engages in a fistfight the second he rebuffs her advances, then practically climaxes and tears up when he proves to be as strong as she is. STOP IT EPISODE I CAN ONLY GET SO EREC-- I mean, this is okay. The animators are clearly having a blast, having the curvacious, buxon Maxima take all sorts of "hip-sway" contraposto poses, with long hair cascading down.

-She and Superman end up captured by a new dictator after Maxima's Ladies Maid betrays her, but they beat the giant tentacle-worm (just like me while watching this epi-I MEAN WAIT), and Supes lets her down easy, repeatedly chiding her about the ways a proper monarch should behave. He points out some of the reasons WHY the people aren't so upset to have her deposed, even while putting her back on the throne. Amazingly fun episode, even if they save the day with ridiculous ease.

-Maxima is your standard Flying Brick/Blaster, but can also use a Force Field to hit PL 13 defensively. She's powerful enough to brawl with Superman in the late '80s (when he was around PL 14), but never really ascended to a higher level.

About the Performer: The lovely Sharon Lawrence is most famous for playing the FIRST Mrs. Sipowicz on "NYPD Blue" for a number of years, earning her three Emmy nominations. She was noticeably MUCH hotter than Dennis Franz, who played her husband, but he got all the attention for their mutual nude scene. Unfortunately, she was one of many actors who attempted to use the hype from that show to leap towards solo success, and her "Fired Up" sitcom only lasted a couple years, largely ending any potential run she could have had. Pretty much everything she's done since then is as an adult character's mother, or in something that was cancelled quickly.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:32 pm Reminds me of the Sailor Moon episode where they were arguing over who would get the part in some show or play and Jupiter said she would get it because she had the most "Talent" while proudly displaying her larger chest the rest of the girls. Made funnier by the fact that in the original she outright told them it was because she had the largest chest.
LOL, such an infamous example of dubbing (they even leave in her displaying her chest, and Rei looking annoyed at her mammaries!)- it's stuck with the character ever since. Both my episode reviews & Jupiter build go on about that :).
To me Galatea will always be one of the main reasons I can't take CADMUS seriously in any continuity. Everytime they do anything it always ends up screwing up everything. They wanted to be safe from superman so they created an evil superman they can't fully control and is power hungry and sadistic. They wanted to avoid crazed demi-god maniacs trying to take over the world and back Luthor for bribe money. They want to ensure there's always a world with a kind man with a strong sense of morals who wouldn't kill a child for a nebulous greater good, they decide to genetically mutate a man so he will pass on another man's genetic code then plan to murder said man and his wife in front of their child so he can be properly traumatized into becoming a second batman.
It's the kind of weird thing that these government agencies, fearful of the evils OTHERS might commit, end up committing incredibly evil acts themselves. It's not the first comic book Evil Government Agency to do that, and it's probably based off of comic book writers' mistrust of the real US government, which also had its hand in some pretty dark stuff from time to time. There's a reason these shadowy orgs always make great antagonists.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 pm
It's the kind of weird thing that these government agencies, fearful of the evils OTHERS might commit, end up committing incredibly evil acts themselves. It's not the first comic book Evil Government Agency to do that, and it's probably based off of comic book writers' mistrust of the real US government, which also had its hand in some pretty dark stuff from time to time. There's a reason these shadowy orgs always make great antagonists.
The general logic is the same that way too many governments apply to nuclear weapons: they're safe only as long as one of our guys has the finger on the trigger. Galatea, like the Ultimen and God only know how many others, was supposed to be "safer" than the Justice League because she was under direct control of Cadmus and, probably, had some kind of safe-switch built in.

To put it simply: a crapton of bullshit, wrapped in paranoia and wishful thinking.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Bladewind

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Lex Luthor! Livewire! Volcana! Parasite! Supergirl!)

Post by Bladewind »

Always preferred Maxima in her first comic appearance...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Jabroniville

Steel

Post by Jabroniville »

... he really needs the cape.

STEEL (John Henry Irons)
Created By:
Louise Simonson & Jon Bogdanove
First Appearance: The Adventures of Superman #500 (June 1993)
Role: The Tech Guy, Jobber to the Stars
Voice Actor: Phil LaMarr
Finest Moment: Saved Superman from Metallo
PL 11 (163)
STRENGTH
2/9 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 7 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Deception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Expertise (Science) 8 (+15)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 9 (+16)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Beginner's Luck, Benefit (League Member), Equipment 3 (Tech Gear), Improved Critical (Hammer) 2, Inventor, Jack-of-All-Trades, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 7, Skill Mastery 2 (Expertise, Technology), Ultimate Technology Skill

Powers:
"Steel Armour" (Flaws: Removable) [48]
Enhanced Strength 7 (14)
Flight 8 (500 mph) (16)
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 11) (19)
Immunity 10 (Life Support) (10)
-- (59 points)

"Steel Hammer" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [9]
"Thrown Hammer" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Homing) (Extras: Ranged 11) (14) -- (15 points)
  • AE: "Melee Hammer" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Reach, Penetrating 8) (13)
Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Steel Armour +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Hammer +7 (+13 Damage, DC 27)
Thrown Hammer +10 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+11 Armour), Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Justice Leaguer)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 57 / Defenses: 18 (163)

-Steel's one of those great "also ran" characters that's like third or fourth in line for a legacy, so he'll NEVER get full credit, no matter how good he is. Kind of too bad, because he's one of the best "scientist" characters around (even though, like 50% of them, he's black for no other reason that to try to defy a stereotype or something). In the JLU cartoon, he was pretty much minor as hell, not doing much other than flying around with Supergirl and losing BADLY to Galatea. Even as the resident Tech-Guy on the Watchtower, the poor guy was a jobber. However, he fits the Pro Wrestling standard of "Jobber To The Stars" (often shortened to JTTS)- the guys who are Jobbers, but are important enough names that their jobbing actually MEANS something. This effectively makes John Henry Irons the Koko B. Ware of the Justice League, which is kind of, uh... sad.

-Steel's a good, over-pointed PL 10, having a good Skillmonkey set on top of being a very capable Battlesuit guy. The Hammer is his main schtick, despite being fairly inaccurate, and it's the only way for him to meet his caps. He's not as good in combat as he could be, but he hits as hard as Green Lantern, Wonder Woman or J'onn, so he's good as a frontliner anyways. I figure Comics Steel to be a PL 11.

About the Performer: Phil LaMarr would later get a lot more use as John Stewart on "Justice League", but he's pretty well known for being the go-to "Black Guy" in everything cartoons. And also as Samurai Jack.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Steel reminds me..I think Cyborg Superman is the only one of the four Superman replacements from The Death Of Superman you haven't statted at some point, but I'm not quite sure on that.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Steel and Superboy were the two best things to come out of the Death of Superman. Steel in particular was the one replacement Superman who actually had Superman's morality and ethics, while being the least powerful of the bunch. He was also kind of interesting in that his armor wasn't your typical Armor Guy suit with tons of gear. Steel focused on simplicity: the suit made him strong, tough, let him fly and that was about it. He had a rivet gun in one arm and his hammer. As a result he often had to fight smart and be clever rather than just do something like vary the frequency of his energy weapons.
Steel initially appeared in Superman:TAS as a scientist working for Luthor, developing an exosuit that gave its pilot enough raw physical might to fight Superman fairly evenly. John however felt the suit wasn't ready for human testing, and was proven right when the neural interface drove the pilot violently insane. John quit Lexcorp and later tried to develop a safer version of the suit that eventually became the Steel armor. There he fought Metallo after Metallo nearly killed Supes, with Metallo being shown to be Steel's physical superior but his chest kryptonite proved vulnerable to being smashed to pieces by a big hammer.

After that, Steel faded into the background, and was used to better effect in the Reign of the Supermen animated movie.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

As for his finest moment, Steel's was likely either when he quit working for Lex Luthor and lived to tell about it, or when he saved Superman from Metallo. Worth mentioning that this was Steel's first outing in a prototype suit of armor.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Brainiac

Post by Jabroniville »

BRAINIAC
Created By:
Otto Binder & Al Plastino
First Appearance: Action Comics #242 (July 1958)
Role: The Man Behind The Man, Evil Robot
Voice Actor: Corey Burton
Finest Moment: Revealed that he'd been behind countless actions of Luthor
PL 11 (277)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA -- AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 12 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Deception 9 (+8)
Expertise (Science) 13 (+25)
Expertise (History) 12 (+24)
Intimidation 5 (+4)
Investigation 6 (+7)
Perception 5 (+6)
Technology 13 (+25)
Treatment 4 (+16)
Vehicles 5 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 20 (Brainiac Ship, Computers, Force Field, etc.), Eidetic Memory, Inventor, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 9, Skill Mastery 2 (Science, Technology), Ultimate Technology Skill, Ultimate Science Skill, Well-Informed

Powers:
Protection 11 (Extras: Impervious 11) [22]
Blast 11 (Feats: Split) [23]
Flight 7 (250 mph) [14]
Communication (Technology) 4 [20]
Immortality 1 (Flaws: Requires Computer Access) [1]
Immunity 40 (Fortitude, Mental Effects) [40]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Blasts +11 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +11, Fortitude --, Will +8

Complications:
Motivation (Collection of All Knowledge, Then Destroying Everything)- It's a little strange at times.
Enemy (Superman)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 72--36 / Advantages: 37 / Powers: 130 / Defenses: 18 (277)

-Oh, Brainiac. Superman's OTHER pretty good, old-time villain, he's had some varied incarnations over the years, but this is one of the better ones. A standard boring computer intellect, he's got a personal thing against Kal-El (and vice-versa), and the means to destroy all life via his intelligence-gathering, which makes him a bit better than others with a similar gimmick. He only appeared in the first part of Season 2 of regular ol' Justice League, being tricked by Darkseid into luring the League to Apokolips, and then being forced under the big guy's control. He was ultimately exploded there, but turned up alive in the finale of Season One of JLU, showing up from some ANCIENT Superman: TAS episode, where he "bugged" Luthor in secret, eventually taking over control of his body, ultimately curing him of cancer and setting up a plan to jump into an Amazo-like body. Thankfully, he failed.

-Brainiac alone isn't really a match for a Leaguer, especially the Big Seven. He's expensive as hell thanks to having a boat-load of skills (he's also the smartest build I've ever created, though 'only' a 36 Int because really, why would you need to be higher than that?), tons of Equipment (that Brain-Ship thing is worth a lot), and the abilty to summon Brainiacs from his ship. In the big fight in Season Two's opener, he had a whole horde of Brianiacs running about, taking advantage of the Law of Conservation of Ninjitsu/Henchman/Robots/Etc which states that "the more of the super-powerful thing around, the less competent they will be as a whole". And by "taking advantage" I mean "losing badly", because the League pretty well wrecked them. Still, fighting dozens of the guy sure isn't pleasant.

About the Performer: Corey Burton has made a career out of replacing Paul Frees in many of his roles (like Captain Hook & Mr. Smee, as well as the Ghost Host of The Haunted Mansion). He's also The Mad Hatter, Dale in "Rescue Rangers", and more- he gets a LOT of Disney work.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ares wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:25 am Steel and Superboy were the two best things to come out of the Death of Superman. Steel in particular was the one replacement Superman who actually had Superman's morality and ethics, while being the least powerful of the bunch. He was also kind of interesting in that his armor wasn't your typical Armor Guy suit with tons of gear. Steel focused on simplicity: the suit made him strong, tough, let him fly and that was about it. He had a rivet gun in one arm and his hammer. As a result he often had to fight smart and be clever rather than just do something like vary the frequency of his energy weapons.
Steel initially appeared in Superman:TAS as a scientist working for Luthor, developing an exosuit that gave its pilot enough raw physical might to fight Superman fairly evenly. John however felt the suit wasn't ready for human testing, and was proven right when the neural interface drove the pilot violently insane. John quit Lexcorp and later tried to develop a safer version of the suit that eventually became the Steel armor. There he fought Metallo after Metallo nearly killed Supes, with Metallo being shown to be Steel's physical superior but his chest kryptonite proved vulnerable to being smashed to pieces by a big hammer.

After that, Steel faded into the background, and was used to better effect in the Reign of the Supermen animated movie.
As I recall the 4 Supermen in the Reign series were each meant to represent some aspect of Superman, Steel was the humanity and Morales, the eradicator was the power without humanity the alieness and so on and so forth,
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

catsi563 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:14 am
Ares wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:25 am Steel and Superboy were the two best things to come out of the Death of Superman. Steel in particular was the one replacement Superman who actually had Superman's morality and ethics, while being the least powerful of the bunch. He was also kind of interesting in that his armor wasn't your typical Armor Guy suit with tons of gear. Steel focused on simplicity: the suit made him strong, tough, let him fly and that was about it. He had a rivet gun in one arm and his hammer. As a result he often had to fight smart and be clever rather than just do something like vary the frequency of his energy weapons.

As I recall the 4 Supermen in the Reign series were each meant to represent some aspect of Superman, Steel was the humanity and Morales, the eradicator was the power without humanity the alieness and so on and so forth,
That was the general idea.
It was pretty interesting that when Lois met Steel for the first time and called him out saying that he wasn't Superman, Steel answered as "I never said that.", which actually brought Lois to pin him as them one that was closer to Clark in spirit.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)