Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Vigilante

Post by Jabroniville »

VIGILANTE (Greg Saunders)
Created By:
Mort Weisinger & Mort Meskin
First Appearance: Action Comics #42 (Nov. 1941)
Role: Cowboy, Underdog Hero, Ensemble Darkhorse, Background Character
Voice Actor: Michael Rosenbaum/Nathan Fillion
Finest Moment: Helping save the day against the vengeful Thanagarians, refusing to give up Hawkgirl to them
PL 9 (120)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+6)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Crime) 3 (+4)
Expertise (Cowboy) 6 (+7)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Pistols) 3 (+12)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 3 (+4)
Vehicles 8 (+12) -- Flaws: Limited to Grounded Vehicles

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit (League Member), Defensive Attack, Equipment 5 (Motorcycle, Pistols), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Pistols) 2, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged/Cover), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 5, Seize Initiative, Taunt, Ultimate Aim

Equipment:
"Motorcycle" (10)
"Double Pistols" Blast 5 (Feats: Split) (11)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Pistols +12 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Reputation (Minor Leaguer)- Few consider Saunders one of the more "elite" Justice League members, and thus he gets a bit of disrespect at times.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 50--25 / Advantages: 23 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 16 (120)

-Vigilante was a Golden Age Western superhero active in 1940s comics who had a bit of a mixed-up history (involving two Earths having near-identical Vigilantes), but ultimately the character vanished to history, with others taking the name periodically, like in a Marv Wolfman series in the 1980s. The character was ridiculously minor, and only rarely mentioned thereafter... which made it funny that he became so popular on Justice League Unlimited.

-Vigilante started out as just a pretty common background guy in JLU, but suddenly the writers discovered they REALLY liked writing cowboy dialogue for Nathan Fillion, his actor. So much so, that ol' "Vig" kept getting more and more screen-time, to the point where he was the "third guy" on a LOT of missions (Hawkgirl vs. Thanagarians; Seven Soldiers; Task Force-X), getting tons of lines, and doing lots of shooting. He never got big enough to be seen without the mask or have his origin story explained (or even have his real name mentioned!), but he was always there, as one of the more iconic "Redshirts" in the background. It's more than poor Atom Smasher got, cuz he was always stuck in the background punching stuff and grunting. So a LOT of people had Vigilante and his buddy Shining Knight as "low-key favorites", like popular Jobbers To The Stars (to use the wrestling parlance)- guys who you enjoyed, but didn't necessarily want EMPHASIZED more.

-Vigilante is a low-level super-hero, being essentially a crack-shot (though his double pistols are good enough to have Autofire on them- he IS a super-hero after all) with a bunch of gun-based Feats. PL 9 costing like a PL 8 would (he was almost PL 8, but that's kind of a kick in the pants for a guy living amongst Godlike super-beings), and he has enough Advantages to cover for any moments he has to be careful. He could shoot out some cyborgs or a hawkperson, but Rick Flagg beat the living CRAP out of him with just his bare hands, and most real metahumans would dust him off with little problem.

About the Performer: Wait, Nathan Fillion? Really? So weird. No wonder he was so funny. Fillion is "Nerd God" for being Captain Mal Reynolds in "Firefly" for the duration of the show, acting as a buffoonish, humorous captain of a ragtag band of misfits. Fillion first got noticed on the soap opera "One Life To Live", and on "Two Guys and a Girl" (which got Ryan Reynolds noticed). Like a lot of actors on that level, he did a lot of voice-acting work as well, hitting shows like "JLU" and video games like the "Halo" series, usually in supporting roles. He is most known to normal folks for playing the title role on "Castle" (which was recently cancelled amidst reports that the two leads were feuding over screen-time), and is still around as a celebrity in various contexts, seemingly because people in Hollywood (specifically, the TV aspect of it) LOVE his work and always want to see him- he got a brand new series ("The Rookie", about a 40-something man who becomes a rookie cop) almost immediately, which is almost unprecedented except among the biggest TV stars (Kelsey Grammer, Patricia Heaton, etc.). He's good with the "Nerd Scene", and is a local star in Edmonton, where he helped tear into the shitty then-owner of Warp-One comics for over-charging on merchandise. Still my favorite comic shop story ever, lol.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Giganta! Zatanna! Green Arrow! Black Canary! Huntress!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidious wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:55 pm I am loving these write-ups.
Thanks :)! It's weird to post something that's SO ANCIENT, but my writing style has changed a bit in the interim (many character bios have been completely re-written, especially as the official DC builds I did include the same info in more detail), and some of the builds are new (I didn't have a Mandragora build before, for instance- and the comic book version is so different I had to alter him heavily!).
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Giganta! Green Arrow! Black Canary! Huntress! The Question!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Haha, there's a "Top 10 Question Moments" video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiajPnljGaE

Simplest reason why JLU is the best superhero show ever made: It had this version of the Question on it, and none of the other shows did.

Also, more great Joshi stuff- Takako Inoue's theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kyuy3WoCHo

Which is all about how the beautiful "idol" star of All Japan Women's Wrestling will beat the shit out of you... while making you fall in love with her.

Cute and sexy fun, or an abused boyfriend's sick lament? YOU DECIDE!

"She melted my heart while she twisted my arm."
"She dislocated my spine/ I knew I had to make the lady MINE!"
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Billy Zane was also the first voice for the Kingdom Hearts villain Ansem, before being replaced by Richard Epcar (who is also the voice for Mortal Kombat's Raiden) later.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

The Hawkgirl vs Thanagarians episodes was pretty much the JLU homage to Firefly, by having Vig (Nathan Fillion) and Vixen (Gina Torres) as the supporting cast... In spite of the fact that neither of them was space-trained.
From what I heard the plan was to include Black Canary as well, but she was cut due to Morena Baccarin not being avaible that week.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

The Shining Knight

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SHINING KNIGHT (Sir Justin)
Created By:
Creig Flessel
First Appearance: Adventure Comics #66 (Sept. 1941)
Role: Medieval Knight, Underdog Hero, Ensemble Darkhorse, Background Character
Voice Actor: Chris Cox
Finest Moment: Doing nearly the best, and taking the most battle-damage, against the hugely powerful Wade Eiling
PL 9 (131)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+6)
Athletics 8 (+14) -- Flaws: Limited to Riding
Close Combat (Sword) 1 (+12)
Expertise (Knight of Europe) 10 (+11)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Benefit (League Member), Close Attack, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Fearless, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Sidekick 16 (Winged Victory), Takedown

Powers:
"Mystic Sword- Enchanged by Merlin" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [7]
Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 6) (11 points)

"Magic Armor Because Eiling Said It Was That One Time" (Flaws: Removable) [8]
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 5) (9)
Enhanced Advantages: Withstand Damage (1)
-- (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+8 Magic Armor), Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Reputation (Minor Leaguer)- Few consider Sir Justin one of the more "elite" Justice League members, and thus he gets a bit of disrespect at times.
Responsibility (Man Out of Time)- A member of King Arthur's Court, Sir Justin often feels left out of the modern world.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 33 / Powers: 15 / Defenses: 13 (131)

-Shining Knight was pretty much Vigilante's buddy, an iconic "Background Guy" because he took up a lot of space with his giant Pegasus mount, making him handy filler (George Perez found a similar thing in Crisis on Infinite Earths- go back and see how many times Sir Justin is in big group shots, taking up the room of eight guys). He talked a lot less than Ol' Vig, cuz Medieval dialogue isn't as fun as saying "no-how" and "don't work none", but he was sure around in the background alot. His best showing by far was against General Eiling, though he was still a jobber to him in the end.

-Shining Knight is another PL 9 with a PL 8's points, because both of these guys were kinda limited. He's got a fair bit of Skills & Feats, being a melee warrior with a killer sword, but he's ultimately an also-ran in the League. Winged Victory makes me yet again happy I made a set of Animal Builds, because I swear I've used that damn Pegasus build like eighty times for various superheroes at this point.

About the Performer: Chris Cox is one of those "Assorted Voices" kind of guys, appearing on "Family Guy" for *106 episodes* but having his biggest role be George W. Bush (who only shows up periodically for one-off gags). Oh, he was Hawkeye on "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes". That might be his highest-profile thing.

WINGED VICTORY (Equus pegasi)
Role:
Awesome Mounted Beast
PL 8 (80)- Sidekick Rank 16
Normal Version:
PL 5-6
STRENGTH 6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 2 (+5)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+5 Size)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+1 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Attractive (To Women), Diehard, Follow-Up Strike, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Hooves), Improved Initiative, Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Low-Light Vision, Radius Sight) [3]
"Animal Physiology" Speed 3 [3]
"Natural Weapons- Hooves" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Reach) [2]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Protection 2 [2]

"Wings" Flight 6 (120 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Hooves +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Pegasi cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 23 / Defenses: 13 (80)
Ken

Re: Vigilante

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:16 am-Vigilante was a Golden Age Western superhero active in 1940s comics who had a bit of a mixed-up history (involving two Earths having near-identical Vigilantes), but ultimately the character vanished to history, with others taking the name periodically, like in a Marv Wolfman series in the 1980s. The character was ridiculously minor, and only rarely mentioned thereafter... which made it funny that he became so popular on Justice League Unlimited.
Despite being a "Western superhero", Vigilante's stories were set in the present (i.e. the 1940s) when he was being published. He also had the advantage of being a back-up feature in Action Comics, i.e. Superman was his lead-in.

He also had the advantage of being a cowboy when cowboys were still cool. He actually got his movie serial BEFORE Superman had his.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Re: The Shining Knight

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:07 pm THE SHINING KNIGHT (Sir Justin)
Created By:
Creig Flessel

"Magic Armor Because Eiling Said It Was That One Time" (Flaws: Removable) [8]
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 5) (9)

WINGED VICTORY (Equus pegasi)

It was actually Flessel who said the armor was magic. Eiling was simply following the details from the comics.

Winged Victory, who I always called 'wingd' until the cartoon corrected me to 'wing-ged', was always the only Soldier of Victory with super powers.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

The Creeper

Post by Jabroniville »

THE CREEPER (Jack Ryder)
Created By:
Steve Ditko
First Appearance: Showcase #73 (April 1968)
Role: Whacky Guy, Looney Tunes Hero, You-But-Better Guy (to The Joker)
Voice Actor: Jeff Bennett
Finest Moment: Making THE JOKER say he's a lunatic.
PL 10 (123)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 8
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 5 (+13)
Expertise (News Reporter) 7 (+7)
Insight 4 (+4)
Investigation 8 (+8)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 4 (+12)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Startle, Taunt

Powers:
"Altered Body & Mind"
Immunity 12 (Mental Effects, Joker Gas) (Flaws: Limited- Half-Effect) [6]
Protection 1 [1]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Senses 1 (Acute Scent) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +9, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Normal Identity (Jack Ryder)- With a patch placed on his skin, The Creeper reverts to his human form, with the stats ST 0, STA 1, AGI 1, FIGHT 2, DEX 2, INT 2, AWA 3, PRE 3.
Obsession (The Joker)- It's The Joker's fault Ryder became The Creeper, and he seeks revenge, even in insanity.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 9 (123)

-The Creeper is a one-shot guy from the latter incarnation of Batman: The Animated Series, featuring the new (more simplified and less noir-ish) animated style and less darkness overall. The Steve Ditko creation was turned into a Bat-themed guy by getting a re-do of The Joker's origin, mixed with Joker Gas and an explosion, resulting in a Spider-Man like guy who was crazy like The Clown Prince himself, and he ended up hunting Joker all over town, beating the snot out of him with ease and scaring him witless as "a LUNATIC!". I didn't like the episode at first, because it seemed like they just made The Creeper the worst kind of Mary Sue- a character designed to be better, crazier and tougher than their original villain. I mean, I didn't know the term "Mary Sue" when I first saw this in college, but I damn sure knew what a writer coming in and measuring his penis by creating a SUPER-AWESOME YOU GUYS character was.

-However, I've warmed to the episode after watching it on YouTube. His antics were pretty amusing (it's VERY easy to see where the Freakazoid! characterization came from- Paul Dini's admitted he just copied the personality and voice actor of the character here onto his newer show), and he wasn't THAT over-powered. He was just crazy enough and had enough muscle to chase Joker down and beat him up. He showed up in the background JLU a few times (they let THIS GUY on the Satellite!?!), but never did anything other than jump on a Parademon.

-So Creeper's crazy like Joker, and basically a whole different guy than Jack Ryder (lacking his wits, charisma, etc. as a reporter), and a mini-Spider-Man in terms of power. He can leap from building to building, as well as pummel The Joker in hand-to-hand easily (he's as accurate in combat, and WAY stronger). He didn't actually get to fight Batman and REALLY show his stuff, but let's go with PL 9 offense, PL 10 defense and call it a day. That seems about right for a guy amongst the more powerful Batman-guys. As Ryder, lower his stats to 12 physically, and raise the Mental ones to 14-16 (he's supposed to be a really good reporter).

About the Performer: Jeff Bennett is one of the busiest voice actors in the world- I included his bio with my Disney Builds (he was Bradley Uppercrust III in "An Extremely Goofy Movie", among numerous other roles for the studio). For some reason, I keep imagining the character as if Rob Paulsen had voiced him.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Commander Steel

Post by Jabroniville »

COMMANDER STEEL (Hank Heywood III)
Created By:
Gerry Conway & Chuck Patton
First Appearance: Justice League of America Annual #2 (1984)
Role: Forgotten D-List Character, Powerhouse
Voice Actor: None
Finest Moment: Decapitating a Parademon with a Shield
PL 10 (116)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+5)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4, Withstand Damage

Equipment:
"Man of Steel"
Immunity 4 (Heat, Cold, Pressure, Radiation) [4]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 15) [19]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +12 (+8 Impervious), Fortitude +8, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibilty (The League)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 8 (116)

-Steel is yet ANOTHER "created after the '40s" guy to get retroactively shoved into the All-Star Squadron, which is rather odd, considering that the team already had over FORTY MEMBERS, but this one exists primarily as a way to get his grandson Hank III into the JLA by the '80s. Neither character was overly successful, with Steel I actually being turned half-VILLAIN by implying he forced his grandson into the painful Steel-procedure to make another hero just like him to live vicariously through. He got a face-turn later on by lining himself up and being one of the MANY shit heroes offed by Eclipso (seriously, was that Eclipso series just an excuse to kill all their lame characters and deadwood, or what? Not a SINGLE good hero died during that book- no offense to Roy Thomas, who felt that the killer of Dr. Midnight II & Wildcat II should rot in the fiery pits of Hell), but the legacy of the Steels was basically destroyed forever until Geoff Johns (who else?) pulled a new one out of nowhere for the modern-day JSA revival.

-Steel's son (also called Steel) was on the Detroid JLA like Gypsy, and similarly didn't get a lot of play, being killed by one of Professor Ivo's Androids. He appears in some background shots on "JLU", never doing much of anything.

-Steel on JLU was 100% a backgrounder, as he never even got involved in a scene with dialogue. His career peak is probably getting a sight gag in wielding a shield like Captain America would, decapitating a Parademon.

-A big, really strong guy, Steel is PL 9.5 Defensively, PL 9 Offensively. He's lacking in a lot of the heroic accoutrements, though- being a jobber and all. REALLY high level of Imperviousness, though.
Ken

Re: Commander Steel

Post by Ken »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:08 am -Steel is yet ANOTHER "created after the '40s" guy to get retroactively shoved into the All-Star Squadron, which is rather odd, considering that the team already had over FORTY MEMBERS
Steel was created in 1978, though his adventures were set nearly 40 years earlier. Roy Thomas just seemed to want to use everybody from DC's golden age (real golden age or not), plus, he and Gerry Conway are buds. Personally, I think Conway was just trying to do a Captain America AND Cyborg (i.e. Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man) mash-up.

When Thomas had steel get the "battlefield promotion" to "Commander", it was because Thomas knew there had been a Golden Age hero in Canada named "Commander Steel" (Grand Slam, vol. 3, Anglo-American Publishing).

bsdigitalq

Re: The Creeper

Post by bsdigitalq »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:09 pmTHE CREEPER (Jack Ryder) Steve Ditko
Finest Moment: Making THE JOKER say he's a lunatic.
Naw, the bit at the end of this clip is his greatest moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjRCUhds0hU
Jabroniville

Warlord

Post by Jabroniville »

TRAVIS MORGAN, WARLORD OF SKARTARIS
Created By:
Mike Grell
First Appearance: 1st Issue Special #8 (Nov. 1975)
Role: Barbarian Hero, Man Out of Time, Warrior King
Voice Actor: Paul Guilfoyle
Finest Moment: Killed Deimos single-handedly. Has adult daughter, but is still packing rocking abs.
PL 9 (129)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 6 (+9)
Close Combat (Sword) 1 (+12)
Expertise (Warlord of Skartaris) 10 (+12)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Perception 6 (+9)
Ranged Combat (Gun) 4 (+10)
Stealth 4 (+7)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Benefit 4 (Warlord of Skartaris), Defensive Attack, Diehard, Equipment 4 (Sword, Magnum, Shield), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Gun), Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Inspire, Power Attack, Rallying Cry, Ranged Attack 4, Teamwork, Tracking

Equipment:
"Automag Pistol" Blast 6 (12) -- (13)
  • AE: "Heroic Sword" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 4) (8)
"Shield" Enhanced Dodge & Parry 2 (4)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (+13 Shield, DC 23), Parry +11 (+13 Shield, DC 23), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (The Safety of Skartaris)
Relationship (Wife, Daughter, Supporting Cast)- "Warlord" had a sizeable cast of characters, many of whom are dear to Morgan.
Enemy (Deimos)- Deimos, the belly-shirt-wearing Evil Sorceror of Skartaris, is kind of a dick, and wants to take over everything.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 52--26 / Advantages: 24 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 15 (129)

-One reviewer of the Justice League/JLU series pointed out that your tolerance for many "Guest Starring..." JLU episodes was largely dependent upon how much of a crap you gave about the various C-Leaguers that ended up featuring heavily in the episodes. Since the show made a superstar out of The Question, and got a ton of play from other characters, it was usually "all good" on that front. But some others were less successful- I mean, unless you were a Warlord fan, you probably couldn't care less about Skartaris.

-Warlord is one of those fantasy-themed comics that appears to have this HUGE fanbase (it had a VERY long run in it's time), yet every single time they reboot the franchise and bring the series back, it fails utterly. The internet is FULL of that crap (the amount of Doom Patrol fans you see online vs. the amount that book actually sells speak speaks for itself), and it's particuarly pronounced in swords & sorcery books. So we'll probably see The Warlord make like ten comebacks in the next thirty years or something, all because it once sold well a quarter-century ago.

-The deal was started by Mike Grell, famous because of his run as Legion of Super-Heroes artist, in the era where he made all of the Legionnaires wear almost zero clothing. "Warlord", similarly, features an entire cast of nudists, but Grell is one of the few artists who made EVERY character bare tons of skin, so he's never been vilified for it so much as made fun of. I mean, it ain't sexist when even the DUDES are running around half-naked, right?

-Anyways, Travis Morgan himself was one of the MANY "OMG we can use everyone in DC history, ever!" characters for the Justice League show, and some JLU writer managed to put him into an episode where a few cast members ended up falling into the Skartaris hole in the Earth, where they engaged in the final battle against Deimos, a generic "Dark Wizard" character (though usually only the WOMEN wear midriff-baring dresses). Morgan was your standard good fantasy king, a brave soul, with the hook that he was actually a lost soldier from our world. It was a pretty good episode, even though fantasy stuff like that was never my thing. Of course, I just liked the childish mad-on Stargirl had for Supergirl, and how we actually got to see Supergirl KILL enemy soldiers. I mean, wuh? I guess Superman's "no killing" policy doesn't extend to racially-evil Lizard People.

-Travis Morgan is a classic skilled warrior-type in the show, being a strong guy with a good sword & shield (and a trusty Magnum!), with a ton of leadership-based Skills. He's actually a LOT tougher and more skilled than the archetype in the M&M "Wizards & Warriors" worldbook, but that's because he's gotta fit into the super-hero world in this one and hold his own. He didn't look too out of place hanging out with some Justice Leaguers, but I'm pretty sure Stargirl would've still kicked his head in (she once knocked a "randomly size-shifting Fire-Breathing Turtle" on it's rump with one shot, taking out a couple buildings in the process).

About the Performer: Paul Guilfoyle is most famous for playing the head guy on "CSI" for fourteen years, essentially being a stoic know-it-all and the most boring guy on a show of quirky characters. He was mostly in theater for years, slowly, SLOWLY building a screen career while doing bit parts on TV. "CSI" is really the only famous thing in which he plays a major part, however. He seems to have build a pretty workmanlike career, and is probably SUPER-RICH for a pretty easy gig (Cop Shows are notoriously easy to make).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So I'm supposed to be getting the JLU/Fatal Five movie some time, but Canada Post suuuuuuuuuucks and it isn't here yet (along with the check I'm supposed to be getting for the glasses I bought in frickin' May), so hopefully I'll still be able to build those characters when the time comes. If not, I'll delay them until if and when I get that movie. As I've hated absolutely every DC movie they've made except for New Frontier (Red Hood, Supergirl, Earth-2, Death of Superman, etc., can all suck my ass), I wouldn't be looking forward to it except it IS the old crew of JLU stars.

Following that, there'll be:
* Another Marvel Jobber Villain group- this one just three people, but ones missing from my list until this point.
* The Injustice Society, as I realized I'd done 2nd Edition builds for these guys wayyyyyyyy back in the day, but had never translated them to 3rd Edition!
* Marvel- The Letter "D"- FINALLY finishing this long project I embarked up on several years ago, when Spectrum compiled a list of people I hadn't statted.
* Double Dragon in its various incarnations. While I've posted DD builds twice, this will also include TWO Fighting Games that came out regarding the series, thus adding to my list.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Warlord was big enough at one point they had an action figure line trying to compete with He-Man.