Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Devastation Bob

Re: Jab's Builds! (Skrull X! Spitfire! Spirits of Vengeance! Squirrel Girl!)

Post by Devastation Bob »

S.U.R.F.
Some Useless RobLiefeld Filler
Jabroniville

Super-Nova

Post by Jabroniville »

SUPER-NOVA (Garthan Saal, aka Nova Omega)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Bob Hall
First Appearance: The Avengers #301 (March 1989)
Role: Forgotten Hero
Group Affiliations: The Nova Corps.
PL 16 (261)
STRENGTH
2/10/18 STAMINA 3/9/17 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 9 (+7, +11 Size)
Perception 5 (+4)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Blast), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Nova Prime Access to Nova Force"
"Nova Corps Boost"
Enhanced Strength 8 [16]
Enhanced Stamina 6 [12]

Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (30 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 15) [16]
Flight 10 (2,000 mph) [21]
Movement 2 (Space Travel 2) [4]

"Force Wave" Damage 16 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (55) -- [67]
  • Dynamic AE: "Gravimetric Force" Blast 20 (Feats: Dynamic, Penetrating 6) (47)
  • Dynamic AE: "Force Line" Damage 16 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (55)
  • Dynamic AE: "Groundstrike" Affliction 13 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 13 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (16)
  • Dynamic AE: "Gravity Control" Move Object 13 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Up or Down) (2)
  • Dynamic AE: "High Gravity" Environment 5 (Impede Movement x2) (11)
  • Dynamic AE: Force Field 4 (Extras: Affects Others 13, Impervious 4) (Flaws: Immobile -2) (18)
"Worldmind Powers"
"Datalink" Communication (Computers) 2 [10]
"Attention Garthan Saal! It Is Imperative That You Pay Attention At This Time!" Senses 1 (Danger Sense) [1]
Immunity 10 (Mental Effects) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]

"Nova Uniform" (Flaws: Removable) [28]
Senses 7 (Extended Vision 2 & Infravision, Detect Energy- Acute, Ranged & Tracking) (7)
Immunity 9 (Life Support- Starvation) (9)
Communication 3 (Radio) (Flaws: Distracting) (12)
"Open Stargates" Teleport 20 (Extras: Extended Only +0) (Flaws: Distracting, Requires Medium- Stargates, Limited to Other Stargates) (5)
Features 1: Quick Change (1)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Boosted +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Giant Size +8 (+18 Damage, DC 33)
Gravimetric Blast +8 (+20 Ranged Damage, DC 35)
Force Waves +16 Area (+16 Damage, DC 31)
Groundstrike +13 Area (+13 Affliction, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +4 (+10 Nova Power, +18 Full Size, +22 Force Field), Fortitude +5 (+11 Nova, +19 Full Size), Will +5

Complications:
Enemy (Nebula)- The space pirate destroyed the planet of Xandar, about which Garthan is obsessed to avenge.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 197 / Defenses: 20 (261)

-Garthan Saal was the last surviving Xandarian Centurion after the planet was destroyed by the space pirate Nebula- as a result, the Worldmind gave him the sum total of the Nova-Force... wait, this happened in 1989? That's the EXACT SAME THING that happened to Richard Rider during Annihilation! Saal was meant to shoulder this burden only so long as they could find replacements for the deceased Nova Corps, but alas, he went insane from the power flux before they could. He attacked Earth (the last known location of Nebula, whom he was now hunting), defeating Firelord in the process (!!), but the weird Cap/Reed/Sue/Thor/Gilgamesh Avengers team intercepted him, but he pretty much moves through every superhuman on Earth one after the other- Reed Richards is only able to save the planet by offering Super-Nova a trip through the time-stream to find Nebula.

-Saal doesn't find her, and eventually breaks free to assault Richard Rider, who was at this point Nova once more, and threatened to destroy the entire UNIVERSE, but soon an explosion on the ruins of Xandar gave Richard the power instead- Rich was able to retain his sanity thanks to the New Warriors, and used the Nova-Force to re-energize the planet. Later, Saal was made Rich's replacement on Earth when he refused the call to Xandar in favor of helping out the New Warriors, becoming Nova Omega in the process. Saal still acted like a general asshole, but ultimately died and passed his powers to Rich, after a Dire Wraith got involved.

-Super-Nova is EXCEPTIONALLY powerful, being one of those "beat up everybody on Earth" types who can take out a Herald of Galactus. He's actually MUCH more powerful than Richard Rider himself was when HE was "Nova-Prime"- Rich never grew to thirty feet tall, for example. He's got PL 16 Area Attacks, PL 15 Blasts, PL 13 Unarmed attacks, and PL 15 Defenses.

NOVA OMEGA (Garthan Saal, aka Super-Nova)
Created By:
Mark Gruenwald & Bob Hall
First Appearance: The Avengers #301 (March 1989)
Role: Forgotten Hero
Group Affiliations: The Nova Corps.
PL 9 (166)
STRENGTH
2/10 STAMINA 3/9 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deceptoin 3 (+3)
Expertise (Space Hero) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Perception 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Blast), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
"Nova Prime Access to Nova Force"
"Nova Corps Boost"
Enhanced Strength 8 [16]
Enhanced Stamina 6 [12]

Flight 10 (2,000 mph) [21]
Movement 2 (Space Travel 2) [4]

Blast 8 (16) -- [17]
  • AE: Affliction 9 (Dodge; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery, Limited to Grounded Targets) Linked to Damage 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Objects) (9)
"Nova Uniform" (Flaws: Removable) [24]
Senses 7 (Extended Vision 2 & Infravision, Detect Energy- Acute, Ranged & Tracking) (7)
Immunity 9 (Life Support- Starvation) (9)
Communication 3 (Radio) (Flaws: Distracting) (12)
Features 1: Quick Change (1)
-- (29 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Boosted +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Groundstrike +9 Area (+9 Affliction, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+9 Nova Power), Fortitude +4 (+10 Nova), Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Xandar)
Rivalry (Richard Rider)- Garthan considers Richard to be a coward and a quitter over his absence from the Nova Corps.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 94 / Defenses: 10 (166)

-As Nova-Omega, Garthan takes on a much more '90s look (check out that hair-exposing mask!), but isn't nearly as powerful as someone with his kind of arrogance should be.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So yeah, pretty much all of my X-Men builds are lookin' to be giant essays now. They were already long when I first did them in 3rd Edition, and the "updates" to the Ronin Army thread added MORE. And then I went and looked at those builds (from three-ish years ago now) and found I could add EVEN MORE stuff. So welcome to having giant Marvel Handbook-length bios for every single person to ever walk out of an X-book :).
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Thorpocalypse wrote:
danelsan wrote:

MAY YOU ALL BE FORCED TO READ HANK PYM COMICS IN YOUR DREAMS FOR THE NEXT WEEK!!!
wait, there's a Hank Pym comic I can buy. Need to go get that ;)
badpenny

Re: Jab's Builds! (Spirits of Vengeance! Squirrel Girl! Sage! Super-Nova!)

Post by badpenny »

The art for the first Super-Nova pic looks dead on 70s to me. I thought all late 80s art was more like the second pic.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

badpenny wrote:The art for the first Super-Nova pic looks dead on 70s to me. I thought all late 80s art was more like the second pic.
The artists the Avengers book had at the time did seem very "70s" in style. John Buscema was the artist for a chunk of that time, and his style was perfected in that era as well.

Not everyone in the late '80s was aping Liefeld & Lee (who were both only BARELY getting known at this point; both had taken a step from Arthur Adams). The second image? That's straight-up mid-90s, with the artist (badly) imitating Mark Bagley's style... unless that's just Bagley on a bad day.

The late '80s was kind of a mix of guys aping Frank Miller, some guys doing weird "alternative" stuff, some guys stuck in the 1970s, some guys doing the hyper-crosshatching style, and more. Printing processes got better in the early '90s, so the pages are quite a bit more distinctive than anything from earlier.

It wasn't until the 1990s that the "new style" of art basically destroyed what had come before, and all the '70s & '80s-styled artists were out of work.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

There are artists who just define an era (for good or for bad), and then there are artists who seem to me (and my untrained eye) to kind of defy an era, e.g. Bill Sienkiewicz. I didn't start reading comics until college (2001) and had the benefit of friends who had massive collections and just made me read piles of books. While the Moon Knight character kind of later on became untethered with inconsistent representations, MK's vol 1 art by Sienkiewicz has really stayed with me.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Regarding SAGE, many years after the Phoenix Saga, I read a comic where Sage is feeling bad that she could not (really more like did not) act to help/save Jean Grey from the manipulations of the Hellfire Club, a club to which Tessa was presently in at the time and watched the saga unfold.

If Tessa could not have aided Jean, for fear of losing her cover or being stopped before she really even began, she could have at least alerted Xavier. I don't believe Tessa notifying Xavier or the XMEN of the plight was ever mentioned or shown. Cyclops was the one who got the team out of NY and he was the one who figured out the HFC was involved and he was the one who asked Angel if he ever heard of the club. Xavier acted like he didn't know about the club, who was involved, where they were located, etc. Xavier didn't even contact Tessa mentally to get any info. Tricky, tricky Xavier.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

jcjec wrote:
Thorpocalypse wrote:MAY YOU ALL BE FORCED TO READ HANK PYM COMICS IN YOUR DREAMS FOR THE NEXT WEEK!!!
This wouldn't be a problem for me. Hank has long been one of my favorite characters in comics, especially during his days with the West Coast Avengers when he simply went by Dr. Pym. :)
I'm also a fan of Pym. Hell, I may be the only one who didn't mind him in the Mighty Avengers when he was going by Wasp and was deemed the Scientist Supreme.
Formerly luketheduke86
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

You really captured the Super-Nova.

He was indeed one of those characters that beat up whole teams of people.

I remember Wonder Man being unable to hurt him/subdue him even with the Avengers.

The art was excellent and that pic you used was indeed how he was initially drawn--very powerful.
Jabroniville

Requiem Sharks

Post by Jabroniville »

THE REQUIEM SHARKS:
-This is a band of Powersuit-wearing characters who appeared in Death's Head II's book for Marvel UK. Only showing up for three issues, the only matter of their importance was that two of them would eventually be the parents of Dr. Necker, the woman who helped create Death's Heat in the future. The other guy got killed. All of them are pretty wussy, losing a fight in their debut to Death's Head II & Tusk (though admittedly, DHII is a bad-ass fighter).

SMART (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Dan Abnett & Dougie Braithwaite
First Appearance: Death's Head II #10 (Sept. 1993)
Role: Powersuit Guy
Group Affiliations: The Requiem Sharks, A.I.M.
PL 8 (128)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Mercenary) 1 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Technology 5 (+10)
Vehicles 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Requiem Shark Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [59]
Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Protection 5 (5)
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)
"Scanning Systems" Senses 4 (Radar- Radius Ranged Radio Sense) (4)
Concealment 1 (Radar Detection) (2)

"Tactical Sensors" Senses 10 (Detect Energy- Ranged & Analytical, Detect Matter- Ranged & Analytical, Microvision 2) (10)
"Double-Barrelled Guns" Blast 8 (Feats: Variable Descriptor- Frag or Thermal Rounds, Accurate) (Extras: Multiattack) (26)
-- (37 + 36 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Suit Strength +6 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Guns +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- The Requiem Sharks are Mercenaries.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 59 / Defenses: 9 (128)

-Smart had some advanced tracking technology.

STEALTH (Eliza Clare Necker)
Created By:
Role: Powersuit Girl
PL 8 (124)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 5 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Mercenary) 1 (+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Investigation 3 (+5)
Perception 2 (+4)
Technology 7 (+12)
Vehicles 1 (+3)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Requiem Shark Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [54]
Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Protection 5 (5)
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)

"Particle-Accelerator Rifle" Blast 10 (Extras: Penetrating) (30)
-- (37 + 30 points)

Offense:
Guns +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +3 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 9 (124)

-Smart had some advanced tracking technology.

SWITCHBLADE
Created By:
Role: Powersuit Guy
PL 8 (96)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Mercenary) 5 (+5)
Insight 2 (+2)
Investigation 3 (+3)
Perception 4 (+4)
Technology 2 (+2)
Vehicles 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Requiem Shark Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [38]
Enhanced Strength 6 (12)
Protection 5 (5)
Flight 7 (250 mph) (14)

"Arm-Mounted Blades" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Improved Critical, Split) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (10)
-- (37 + 10 points)

Offense:
Blades +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 38 / Defenses: 11 (96)

-Some necromantic energy was flowing around Switchblade, blocking his line of sight. He made the brilliant tactical decision of taking off his helmet for a better view... at which point the energy scorched him alive. Not as smart or skilled as the other two, nor as brilliantly-armed, he is MUCH cheaper than they are, but packs a dangerous pair of blades and higher Parry Defense.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
shadowking42

Post by shadowking42 »

Jab and everyone else,

Long-time lurker on the other boards. I wanted to register, show my support, and hopefully be brave enough to post from time to time. :) I missed out on all the messy craziness that happened on the other board, and am probably glad I did. LOL

I'm starting a new M&M campaign in January, and want to thank you for the great builds, ideas, and most importantly, Chun-Li pictures that you provide. I'm only a few pages into this thread but I love me some Street Fighter, so it's been a lot of fun. Take care man! Excelsior!
BriarThrone

Re: Requiem Sharks

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote:-Some necromantic energy was flowing around Switchblade, blocking his line of sight. He made the brilliant tactical decision of taking off his helmet for a better view... at which point the energy scorched him alive.
If he can't remember what a helmet is for, he's not keeping anything important in it.

I kind of hope that the enemy just kind of gave the remains a look of shocked disbelief. "Did he just... really?!"
Jabroniville

Sally Floyd

Post by Jabroniville »

The most brilliant Fan-Edit of all time.

SALLY FLOYD
Created By:
Paul Jenkins & Ramon Bachs
First Appearance: Generation M #1 (Jan. 2006)
Role: Stupid Bitchpie
Group Affiliations: The Front Line, The Alternative
PL 0 (14)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Journalist) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+3)
Investigation 5 (+6)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +0 (DC 10), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Will +0

Complications:
Addiction (Alcohol, Saying Stupid Shit)

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 0 (14)

-Sally Floyd is a journalist who appears in a handful of Marvel books. She's an alcoholic writer whose daughter's Mutant Powers resulted in the child's death as a toddler- she formed an online journalistic venture with Ben Urich (formerly of the Daily Bugle), and began investigating Superhero stuff in the FrontLine comic book. However, she is largely infamous for her LEGENDARY rant against Captain America in one of the Civil War crossovers, in which she berates him as "out of touch" with America and its values because he doesn't keep up with NASCAR, MySpace, American Idol, and other modern contrivances. She then declares that she resents superheroes for protecting her from supervillains, and that if there's going to be a super-powered army out there, "They better be answerable to ME!". Yes, really- and the writer seems to actually MEAN FOR HER TO BE SEEN AS CORRECT (Cap just kind of . That Cap, the guy who punched Adolf Hitler in the f*cking jaw, doesn't represent American values because his pop culture knowledge sucks ("You hold American up to be this beacon of perfection yet you know almost nothing about it").

-This made Sally Floyd one of the most hated characters ever in an industry that features The Sentry and Danny Chase. Some of this could be passed off as her being a bit crabby from quitting the drink, but the sheer, goddamn, unadulterated STUPIDITY of her statement stuck in so many fans' craws that that famous "Fan Edit" I posted above became memetic almost as soon as the comic came out. The backlash was so quick that Floyd basically hasn't appeared in a comic book as a major character again- just as background nothingness. Part of me, though, wanted someone to write a panel where either SOMEONE tears her a new one.
Ken

Post by Ken »

shadowking42 wrote: I missed out on all the messy craziness that happened on the other board, and am probably glad I did. LOL
Trust me, you should be glad you weren't there for it. "Missing it" may be stretching things. ;)
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.