Jab’s Builds! (Lawnmower Man! Samus Aran! Metroids!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Mario Builds

Post by Jabroniville »

SUPER MARIO BUILDS:

How do you even START with a character like Mario? One of the original unique arcade characters, he debuted as "Jumpman" in 1981's Donkey Kong, and got so popular that he would surpass the title character, then change the entire course of video game history as the launch title of the "Nintendo Famicom/Entertainment System". Hard to believe he came about just because they couldn't get the rights to "Popeye" for the game, and had to substitute in a giant ape and a carpenter for Bluto & Popeye! Given his iconic appearance due to the limits of Character Sprites in those days (overalls made his arms more visible, and a mustache allowed him to have a recognizable face instead of a featureless blob). His true name was formed when an American employee noticed the physical resemblance between Jumpman and their Italian landlord, Mario Segale.

After a few popular games, the Donkey Kong series soon faded away (and would not get a fresh shot until the 1990s with Donkey Kong Country, itself taking several concepts that Mario would later popularize), and Mario was changed to a plumber and given a brother named Luigi, and put against a new set of enemies in 1983's Mario Bros. in a single-screen action game (this game is seen in the "Battle Mode" of Super Mario Bros. 3), which was somewhat popular, but never made much impact.

SUPER MARIO BROS. (1985):
-It'd be Super Mario Bros. that would propel Mario into the stratosphere. This NES launch game, along with most others in the series, was perfectly balanced- easy at first, but the difficulty increases as time goes on, so that only pretty good players can make it to the end. This game is one of the most influential in history, popularizing the Action Platformer, a game that would be repeated THOUSANDS of times after this point (when I did my "Video Games" set three years ago, almost half the characters statted were Platformer heroes). Pauline, the character from Donkey Kong, was replaced with the pink-clad Princess Toadstool (Peach in Japan, and that name would eventually take over for some reason). The villains here, including Bowser, the Koopas, and Goombas, would become the most iconic villains in video game history, and even the Cheep-Cheeps and Lakitu would be iconic.

SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 (1986 & 1988):
-Super Mario Bros. 2 was swiftly released, essentially being the same game with a few modifications (like Poisoned Mushrooms- inverted-colored "Power-Ups" that actually HURT YOU). The sequel was so difficult that it had to be kept from American shores (and it is TOUGH- the "Lost Levels" portion of the Super NES Mario All-Stars game is this game- I died on the FIRST LEVEL once, and it gets worse from there), and so another game was turned into Mario 2 in the West. Doki Doki Panic was the original, and featured the ability to play as Mario, Luigi, Toad and Princess Toadstool herself! The game was more open-ended, with the ability to throw objects and even some bad guys, and each of the four characters had some kind of variation. It was silly and kind of alright, but I HATED IT, because I prefered the classic Mario style over tossing turnips around at people. Some people still like it, but I had little time or care for it, especially once Mario 3 came out. It was also hilariously imbalanced, with Princess Toadstool being BY FAR the best character, since she had the ability to glide... in a PLATFORMER GAME. Sure, the others had some bonuses and she some weaknesses, but come on.

SUPER MARIO BROS. 3 (1988-90):
-Super Mario Bros. 3, however, was EPIC- the release of which was unheard of for the time, it sold bajillions of copies and stunned everyone I knew, and featured the iconic advertising campaign with a map of the world showing Mario's face. The game is AMAZING, with a huge world, lots of interesting characters and levels, and basically perfected the formula. It's so good that there is NO QUESTION as to whether it's a better game than Mario 1 or Mario 2- it is hard as HELL at points, and adds a ridiculous amount of stuff to the franchise (adding Raccoon suits with tons of others). The game features an odd "this is a theatrical performance" motif, with curtains, platforms "nailed" to the background, and even a "backstage" you enter after completing stages. While Mario 2's original form just copies the first game, this one features all-new, more detailed sprites, completing the Mario 2 redesign by shifting the colors of the brothers into their permanent forms- blue overalls with red/green shirts & hats.

SUPER MARIO WORLD (1990-91):
-Super Mario World was just icing on the cake, and made me want a Super Nintendo SO BAD (I don't remember when I got the NES, but OH MY GOD do I remember my dad walking downstairs with THIS one!). Adding Yoshi and a huge new world with fantastic new graphics, Nintendo basically said "F*** You!" to rival Sega, and set off a new stage in the Video Game Wars of the 1990s. The Super NES hit a huge surge, and is now pretty easily one of the greatest video game systems of all time, but the Sega Genesis was a worthy competitor- it's faster capabilities made Sports & Racing games better (except Mario Kart, which rapes all of Sega's racers), but the SNES has the better version of almost every other game thanks to it's better graphics and Control Pad.

Unfortunately, Nintendo rarely capitalized on Mario Platformers as often as it should have- the sequel to SMW was a late-release in the SNES' life-span (it basically came out during the beginning of the Saturn/PlayStation era) and focused on Yoshi, who Nintendo was kind of late on capitalizing on as well- he got a weird Picture-Taking Game and a spot in most "Mario Group" games, but that was it. Yoshi's Island is often considered a lost classic these days, but was forgotten quickly in its own time (I remember reading people online bitching about the GamePlayers Magazine's score of "76%"- DieHard GameFan even took up space complaining about how this was proof that the mag was run by hacks). But really, the game had IDENTICAL graphics to SMW, despite being released far later. It was a recipe for disaster.

This leads to a bit of an odd situation, as there is a MASSIVE gap between Mario World and the following main continuity game, Mario 64. Only one proper game was released for Nintendo's flagship system, compared to three for its predecessor (the NES). This would seem foolish, but Nintendo had by this point learned to make countless SPIN-OFF games, as hordes would be released during the 1990s, largely tiding fans over and not requiring any sequels.

SUPER MARIO 64 (1996):
"Super Mario 64" would again prove the old concept of "ALWAYS RELEASE A SYSTEM WITH A MARIO GAME". This game wasn't the FIRST "3-D Sandbox" game (I usually call it a "3-D Treasure Hunt" game, because that's essentially what you're doing), but it was certainly the codifier that set off a HUGE storm. Every other Video Game Franchise of the era immediately started copying it, which helped ax the concept of cel-based animated games and 2-D platformers basically forever. Now, I was never the biggest fan of this game- at all of 20 or so, I was already being a Grumpy Old Man who wanted things the way they USED TO BE, DAMMIT, and so I pooh-poohed the game quite a bit, especially since a lot of it just seemed to be big for the sake of big. The fact that Mario could be hit A LOT without dying, and was barely threatened by any of his foes (from bosses to regular guys) was greatly annoying, as was the fact that the positioning could be difficult. It's also funny how the graphics were SO PRAISED at the time, but now look like an utter bag of ass- Mario 3 AND Mario World both look much better these days, as the early days of polygonal gaming now look terrible because now the mere concept of a game being 3-D is no longer impressive by itself.

Never mind that the game excommunicated Luigi entirely (something that'd hold for quite a while), and even YOSHI, major new character of the previous game, wasn't a part of the actual gameplay- it was just a running, climbing Mario.

But yeah, for all my grumpy protests, the game was HUGE. It made Ninendo's latecoming "Nintendo 64" a huge hit, in spite of it's childish games, goofy colour palette and cartridge-based gameplay. The combination of this game, Mario Kart 64, goddamned GOLDENEYE (still the best FPS ever. Up yours, Halo), and especially WCW vs. nWo Revenge, made the N64 an awesome buy, though I ultimately preferred the PlayStation, as did most people, which helped ax Sega from the console market after a series of INSANE blunders ("d-uhhhhh we don't need a major Sonic game on the Saturn, OH NO! And surely we should piss off retailers with a surprise early launch and an unfinished Virtua Fighter, which now looks like balls compared to Toshinden and Tekken, right?"), and hurt Nintendo badly. The popularity of Mario 64, and the games it inspired, however, would ultimately lead to me fading away from video gaming entirely in my 20s- something I'd never get back into. It took me a while to realize what exactly had happened, but I think it all comes back to me and the general video gaming public disagreeing so greatly on the issue of this game and its clones.

SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE (2002)- Mario Drops the Ball:
-Nintendo would fail BIG TIME after this, with the GameCube system being a general disappointment, and never really trying to capitalize on the Mario series. I mean, I didn't care for it that much, but it was HUGE, and yet they never seemed to finish work on a sequel (one was planned in 1999, but cancelled after the Nintendo 64 started fading and its upgrades failed). Could you imagine playing sequels to this early-on, with Luigi or Yoshi as characters? Super Mario Sunshine would come out on the GameCube, but it was too little, too late. The goofy "spray water and crap to make it clean" concept was just plain DUMB, and nobody ever really talked about the game. It sold well (I mean, it's MARIO, and a basic sequel to Mario 65, but was nowhere near what it should have been. It's ultimately been considered the "Dork Age" of the series, which makes me happy.

SUPER MARIO GALAXY (2007)- Righting Past Wrongs:
-The past decade has been kinder to the old guy, it turns out. Mario Galaxy was a huge hit and actually got a TIMELY game for once, and earned just as much acclaim as Mario 64, with many people calling it the greatest game of all time. I've never so much as seen more than a couple of minutes of gameplay, so I couldn't tell you. The game introduced Rosalina, a Peach-lookalike who's been a favorite in fanart circles ever since, and re-used Bowser Jr. from Sunshine and helped make him a recurring element.

SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 (2010):
-For once, Nintendo actually made a sequel that came out a reasonable amount of time after the last successful game, and SMG2 was another smash hit for the Wii, improving upon the prior game, despite being pretty much the same sort of thing. Though successful, it notably sold barely half as well as the original Galaxy- the Wii fad was ending, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, a more-accessible, fun platformer with Multiplayer aspects, was MUCH more successful, selling 30 million compared to 7 million.

SUPER MARIO ODDYSEY (2017):
-The most recent "Big Release" game was Oddysey, which again went over like nuts. Here, Mario uses a sentient cap named "Cappy", which can control other creatures when thrown onto them.

OTHER MARIO GAMES:
-They even went RETRO with the New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Bros. Wii games, which are basically new versions of the old 2-D Platformers. Mario's been in more games than basically any other character EVER, has played every sport imaginable, had a great RPG (that is REALLY hard to find for less than $100), and is a resolute Gaming Icon. And while he's a bit bland and one-note like Mickey Mouse, a fellow Company Mascot, he's generally less-hated by people. I actually know very few people who HATE Mario- just some who are indifferent to him. His pop cultural impact is remarkably huge, though all of his cartoons have SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED. I mean, as a kid, I was stuck watching The Super Mario Bros. Super Show because it was the only kids' show in it's timeslot right after school, and I hated every single non-Zelda episode they had. Lou Albano was a solid Mario, but this show was DUMB and full of Mario 2 enemies instead of GOOD ONES. Watching The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 as an adult was pretty painful as well, as they use terrible music, too many cutesy game sound-effects, bad acting, and awful animation. Worst part was, I LOVED that show as a kid, so it was perhaps the ultimate example of a childhood fave just not holding up at all. I can't imagine Super Mario World was any better, but I never saw it.

And let's not speak of that god-awful movie. I imagine there's SOMEBODY out there who finds it some kind of under-appreciated thing, but I don't think people should be allowed to have opinions that bad. I mean, this movie was like a giant steaming turd on the career of Bob Hoskins, and just got EVERYTHING wrong. I get that a Mario-based film would be insanely hard, but going with stupid humor, stuff that completely ignores the games, and going all weirdly-dark with everything? That basically alienates the ENTIRE FREAKING AUDIENCE- people who don't care about video games won't see it, action fans won't see the "goofy kiddie movie", and the primary audience of VIDEO GAME FANS basically go "WTF? This is nothing LIKE Mario Bros.!" and so the entire audience hates it. What a piece of crap.

THE BUILDS:
And so we come to my builds of the games and characters- this is no attempt to build EVERY Mario character ever, as that would be both redundant and insane. It's more of an attempt to capture some good-ol' nostalgia for the CLASSIC games, and I pretty much slow down around Mario World because I care a lot less about anything that came later. I kind of got out of video games years ago (my most-recent system is a GAME BOY ADVANCE), and so I've only played "Mario Bros. Wii" (which is fun, but annoyingly hard the more players you add, which isn't a good game function) of anything after "Mario Sunshine".

Turning the workings of an Action Platform Game into M&M stats is something that requires a few decisions to be made, and some concepts to be hand-waved away. There are a lot of various things that would happen if you statted up Mario characters the way they are in the games- all the enemies would have the same Strength & Toughness aside from multi-hit characters (doing equal damage & taking mostly equal damage), most have the same speed, and most have identical attack patterns (effectively, Goombas, Koopas, Spinies and Buzzy Beetles are all exactly the same enemy in terms of PL). All enemies would have some kind of an "Aura" since they all seem to hurt Mario just by touching him, and Mario can only Jump on guys most of the time. However, this is rather boring, so I'm adjusting things for the hell of it. I'm assuming that Mario can punch guys (old books would feature him doing just that, and it would ANNOY ME because the games didn't feature that move), and that enemies actually have to attack most of the time. Very few things have Aura Damage, and elite enemies can differ, and move up in Power Level.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Oni! Pupa & Pepe! Abubo! Johann! Mario Builds!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh yeah, Donkey Kong Country will be after the Mario set. Not sure how deep that will be, as I only played the first two. I don’t know how many of the bosses I’ll stat, as they’re very same-y while being insanely numerous and from games I’ll never play.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Mario Odyssey is pretty great, though the most insane part is that not only is there a huge freaking T-REX in the game, but Mario can TAKE CONTROL OF IT!

Even Bowser at the end of the game can be controlled.

Cappy's Possession ability is likely, well..Possession, with the Flaw that it can't be used on enemies that are already wearing hats.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Any plans to cover Super Mario RPG?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I've got to admit, I'm just an old-schooler, but to me, my favorite Mario games will always be a tie between Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World, followed shortly after by Super Mario RPG. I've played some of the newer Mario games, but the old school ones will always be number one for me.

Now that I've got a reliable internet connection again, I need to finish my JLU thoughts before Jab gets this going, otherwise it's going to be lost in the swarm of Mario characters.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Mario RPG is a classic, though the other two Mario RPG series, Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario are pretty great too. (Well, the first three in Paper Mario's case. They went downhill after that.)
Jabroniville

Super Mario

Post by Jabroniville »

SUPER MARIO
Created By:
Shigeru Miyamoto
First Appearance: Donkey Kong (1981)
Game Appearances: All Games (minus Mario Is Missing & Luigi's Mansion 1-2)
Role: The Hero, The All-Around Guy, The Fat Guy, The Mascot
PL 9 (140)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 13 (+15)
Close Attack (Stomp) 3 (+13)
Expertise (Plumber) 9 (+10)
Expertise (Mushroom Kingdom) 7 (+8)
Expertise (Sports) 3 (+8) -- Uses Agility
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 8 (+10)
Persuasion 1 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Thrown Things) 2 (+12)
Vehicles 8 (+10) -- Flaws: Limited to Go-Karts

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Mushroom Kingdom's Primary Defender), Evasion, Improved Critical (Stomp) 2, Ranged Attack 8, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Mario Stomp!" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Indirect- From Material Above His Head) (Quirks: Athletics Check -1) (3) -- [4]
  • AE: "Power-Slide" Damage 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Requires Incline, Limited to Grounded Targets) (2.5)
"Mario Jump!" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Double-Jump" Leaping 1 (30 feet) (Flaws: Limited to When Bouncing Off Enemies Or Abandoning Yoshi) [0.5]

"Toss Bowser" Power-Lifting 3 (1,600 lbs.) [3]
"Unimaginably Long Breath-Holding" Immunity 2 (Drowning, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]
"Find the Power-Ups" Regeneration 6 (Flaws: Limited to When Finding Power-Ups) [3]

"Mario's Stability" Enhanced Skill 2: Athletics 2 (+17) (Flaws: Limited to Gaining Traction) [0.5]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Stomp +13 (+5 Damage, DC 19)
Shell +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications:
Quirk Explanation: Mario has to take Athletics Checks to utilize his Mario Stomp attack. This is generally routine (stomping one Goomba is a DC 16 Athletics check- he cannot fail with anything but a "1"), but at various points, it can be tougher. Using Takedown to higher degrees will increase the Athletics DC, as will attacking enemies on certain other platforms. Jumping to smaller platforms, avoiding those *@#!ing spikey-guy things in "Mario World", and other annoyances make it MUCH harder. Certain levels will require many, many difficult checks. I would imagine a Mario Campaign would be a dice-roller's paradise.
Responsibility (The Mushroom Kingdom)- Initially a simple plumber, Mario is now sworn to protect The Mushroom Kingdom and it's inhabitants.
Relationship (Luigi)- The two are very close, despite the occasional quarrel.
Relationship (Princess Peach)- Mario's protection of the Mushroom Kingdom also extends to it's sovereign, the Princess. They also have a little bit more goin' on, but these games are rated G, y'know?
Power Loss (Mario Stomp)- Mario requires some room to move- his Stomp will not work if he doesn't have enough clearance to get above something's head. Similarly, it will not work underwater.
Involuntary Transformation (Little Mario)- Mario will become Little Mario if given the Dazed condition or worse. Even if he Recovers, he cannot regain his full size until he gains a Power-Up.
Power Loss (Mario Stomp)- Little Mario cannot damage the heavier blocks that Super Mario can- he can still kill enemies with the "Bounce From Below", but cannot shatter the blocks to break through to the other side.

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 62--31 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 18 (140)

-Mario is the most iconic character in video game history (it's not even worth debating, even now), despite having few notable characteristics to his personality (he was forged to basically be a "tabula rasa" that anyone could place themselves onto). He & Luigi are the ultimate gaming duo, and have access to the power-ups throughout the Mushroom Kingdom, Dinosaur Land, and other places.

-Combining all of the various Mario attributes into one form is rather difficult, because he does a lot of stuff in different games. He's generally athletic and acrobatic, judging by all the jumping he has to do. He's obviously got Leaping, can hold his breath for a LONG time (swimming about underwater for ages), lift stuff he has no business lifting (especially in later games), and grow healthier when he finds a Power-Up. And then there's the famous Mario Leap- stomping on dudes' heads to finish them off. Altogether, he's a PL 9 warrior ready to go on a mission to rescue the Princess.

-Other stuff: Mario has the Perception to allow him to tell when enemies are walking on platforms above him (for the "Bounce From Below" technique)- I mean, how ELSE could he tell what was above him? WE can see it because we have a 2-D view of a cross-section of the level, but to Mario, it's something ABOVE him, seen through a wall. He's also different from Luigi by means of his Stability, a low-level ability to gain traction on slippery ground, whereas Luigi is a higher jumper.

-Mario's various Power-Ups aren't really innate powers of his- they come via things he encounters, such as "?" Blocks, Hidden Blocks inside of Bricks, and Invisible Blocks. In every case, the Power-Up is limited to until Mario takes a hit- this is probably best-reflected in M&M terms by Mario losing the Power-Ups should he take a Dazed Condition or worse. In Mario 1he would be reduced to Small Mario if struck in Fire Mario form, but later this was switched to being reduced to Super Mario instead. In that game, he was limited to the Fire Flower & Star Man Power-Ups, but Mario 3 would add the Raccoon Mario suit along with three others, and subsequent games would add further upgrades (though Mario 3 oddly has the largest amount until the very recent modern era).

-You'll notice that despite being PL 9, Mario is mostly PL 8 everywhere except with a Shell- this is deliberate, as his Power-Ups are required to gain further power.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

There's a webcomic called Captain SNES, a parody/deconstruction of the old Captain NES series. It's . . .well, it's certainly got a lot of time and effort put into it and parts of it are both well thought out and funny, but I lost interest in it once it became clear that it was just never going to end, the lack of consistent updates and the overall depressing nature of the story. Just not my cup of tea.

One thing I did like though was the idea of Mario being basically the Superman of video games, not necessarily because of his raw power, but because of how adaptable he was. Out of all video game characters, Mario has been in just about everything: from platformers to sports games to fighting games to racing games to puzzle games to just about everything. Mario's biggest skill is being able to innately understand the rules of whatever game world he winds up in and knowing how to use them to his advantage. When Magus from Chrono-Trigger showed up in Super Mario World, he was struggling because the game worlds operated on different rules and he couldn't rely on things like Turn Based Combat and the like. Mario showed him the ropes and how to adapt to a platformer.

That was a neat idea, I thought. Mario might not be the most powerful hero out there, but he's the most adaptable.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Luigi

Post by Jabroniville »

SUPER LUIGI
Created By:
Shigeru Miyamoto
First Appearance: Mario Bros. (1983)
Game Appearances: Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 1-3 & World, Mario Is Missing, Luigi's Mansion 1-2, All Side Games
Role: The Sidekick, The Fraidy Cat, Player #2
PL 9 (136)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 13 (+15)
Close Attack (Stomp) 3 (+13)
Expertise (Plumber) 9 (+10)
Expertise (Mushroom Kingdom) 7 (+8)
Expertise (Sports) 3 (+8) -- Uses Agility
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 8 (+10)
Persuasion 1 (+3)
Ranged Combat (Thrown Things) 2 (+12)
Vehicles 8 (+10) -- Flaws: Limited to Go-Karts

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, All-Out Attack, Beginner's Luck, Benefit (Mushroom Kingdom's Primary Defender), Evasion, Improved Critical (Stomp) 2, Ranged Attack 8, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Luigi Stomp!" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Indirect- From Material Above His Head) (Quirks: Athletics Check -1) (3) -- [4]
  • AE: "Power-Slide" Damage 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Requires Incline, Limited to Grounded Targets) (2.5)
"Luigi Jump!" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Double-Jump" Leaping 1 (30 feet) (Flaws: Limited to When Bouncing Off Enemies Or Abandoning Yoshi) [0.5]

"Toss Bowser" Power-Lifting 3 (1,600 lbs.) [3]
"Unimaginably Long Breath-Holding" Immunity 2 (Drowning, Pressure) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [1]
"Find the Power-Ups" Regeneration 6 (Flaws: Limited to When Finding Power-Ups) [3]

"Luigi's Leaping" Enhanced Skill 2: Athletics 2 (+17) (Flaws: Limited to Extended Leaps) [0.5]

Offense:
Shell +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +7

Complications:
Quirk Explanation: Luigi has to take Athletics Checks to utilize his Mario Stomp attack. This is generally routine (stomping one Goomba is a DC 16 Athletics check- he cannot fail with anything but a "1"), but at various points, it can be tougher. Using Takedown to higher degrees will increase the Athletics DC, as will attacking enemies on certain other platforms. Jumping to smaller platforms, avoiding those *@#!ing spikey-guy things in "Mario World", and other annoyances make it MUCH harder. Certain levels will require many, many difficult checks. I would imagine a Mario Bros. Campaign would be a dice-roller's paradise.
Responsibility (The Mushroom Kingdom)- Initially a simple plumber, Luigi is now sworn to protect The Mushroom Kingdom and it's inhabitants, along with Mario.
Relationship (Mario)- The two are very close, despite the occasional quarrel.
Reputation (That Other Guy)- Luigi is stuck in Mario's shadow, and is sometimes even forgotten by the Mushroom Kingdom denizens!
Responsibility (Fraidy Cat)- Luigi is afraid of Ghosts in specific, and everything else in particular- he overcomes this in order to do the right thing.
Relationship (Princess Daisy)- Luigi has a crush on the "Mario Land" Princess, but there's little going on there.
Power Loss (Luigi Stomp)- Luigi requires some room to move- his Stomp will not work if he doesn't have enough clearance to get above something's head. Similarly, it will not work underwater.
Involuntary Transformation (Little Luigi)- Luigi will become Little Luigi if given the Dazed condition or worse. Even if he Recovers, he cannot regain his full size until he gains a Power-Up.
Power Loss (Luigi Stomp)- Little Luigi cannot damage the heavier blocks that Super Mario can- he can still kill enemies with the "Bounce From Below", but cannot shatter the blocks to break through to the other side.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 62--31 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 16 (136)

-Luigi is the most classic Sidekick in video games, being the green palette swap of Mario that's always left to Player #2. The eternal #2 guy, Luigi often doesn't even MAKE IT into some video games (most of the official 3D Platformers now controversially omit him in favor of being Mario solo games), but will occasionally get his own with an educational kids' game (Mario Is Missing, which stumped me because I couldn't figure out where to go) or something similar. He eventually got some real characterization, unlike Mario, in that he would often be a cowardly butt-monkey stuck following Mario around, and he'd get annoyed when people couldn't remember his name in Superstar Saga). He's mostly similar to Mario, but lacks a bit of his Charm, and has a different focus with his leaping.

-Luigi was created for the Mario Bros. game, as Miyamoto & Co. were inspired by Joust to make a somewhat-competitive two-player experience. It's said that he's named for a "Mario & Luigi's Pizza" place that was nearby Nintendo of America's headquarters in Seattle, with Miyamoto noting that the term "Ruigi" in Japanese means "similar", and Luigi was just a color-swap of Mario.

-The use of Luigi as a farther & higher jumper was introduced in the original Japanese Mario 2, and extended to future games (though I never noticed it in Mario 3 or World).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:58 am Any plans to cover Super Mario RPG?
Not really. Just doing Mario's regular game characters will take about 16-17 days, by my estimation. An RPG adds scores to that, plus their attacks are way more detailed and much harder to research.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

regarding the movie, Matt McMuscles goes into answering the question of "What Happened?"
Jabroniville

Power-Ups

Post by Jabroniville »

POWER-UPS:
Contained within are the various traits of the Power-Ups, in addition to what happens when Mario gains an empty/stunned Shell. Many of the Special Suits will give Mario some extra toughness, for he can resist impacts a little more with a suit (becoming Super Mario instead of dying or turning to Little Mario). However, most of these Power-Ups will be lost if he takes a single hit in-game (for M&M games, presumably this would require the Dazed condition or something).

EARLY GAME POWER-UPS:

FIRE FLOWER (23 points):
Blast 6 (Feats: Ricochet 2, Improved Critical, Feature- Works Underwater) (Extras: Multiattack) (Diminished Range -1) (21)
Protection 2 (2)
-The Fire Flower bestows Fire Blasts onto Mario, throwing little bouncing fireballs at his enemies. Despite being fire, it works underwater, but the range isn't that great. His accuracy is worse than with Thrown Weapons (like Shells and the like), because he can only "lob" them and they have a lower threat range, whereas he can toss stuff straight up or across with ease in a straight line. HOWEVER, he can Multiattack Fireballs. Fire & Thrown Things do more damage than the Stomp, because you'll note he can one-shot "two-Jump" enemies like Koopa Paratroopas with these weapons. The Fire Flower is also the only reliable way to stop Spinies.

KOOPA SHELL: Damage 6 (Feats: Ricochet 6) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (Flaws: One Shot Only -2) (Quirks: Deflects Off of Objects) (11 points)
-Koopa Shells are basically a Complication that any Mario Enemy of a certain type gets, rather than a power of Mario's. Koopas, Buzzy Beetles, and even (to a lesser extent- they don't bounce much) Bob-Ombs & Goombas in "Mario World" may be used like this, effectively blasting a whole range of enemies in one go. Mario can find Blocks and stuff that can be tossed in certain games as well.

FLYING DEVICES (18 points):
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Quirks: Must Have Running Start) (9)
Movement 1 (Slow Fall) (2)
"Device Attack" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Accurate, Improved Critical) (5)
Protection 2 (2)
-The various Flying Devices (be in a Raccoon Suit, Flying Cape or Winged Cap) have pretty much the same purpose: 1) Attacking enemies with a swinging Strike- a big advantage considering how many enemies are immune to either the Mario Stomp (Spiny, Piranha Plant) or the Fireball (Buzzy Beetle), especially by "Mario World". 2) Allowing Mario to take a running start and go flying through the air, uncovering secret points in the levels, Warp Zones, etc. He's gotta have a running start to do it, but it's a great add-on to the games, starting in "Mario 3". Certain devices like the P-Wing and Red Star allow Mario to fly without the Running Start.

SUPER-STAR (70 points):
"Invincibility" Immunity 80 (Toughness Effects) (Flaws: Lasts for 6 Rounds) (40)
Energy Aura 10 (Flaws: Lasts for 6 Rounds) (30)
-The ever-famous Star that makes Mario invincible for a short period of time, storming through the level on a killer tear. He can kill almost ANYTHING with this power, even the nigh-Invincible Thwomps, making for some fun times. But it's a bastard to catch the damn bouncing things sometimes, and you can still die if you fall down a hole (presumably it's a long enough drop to Time Out the fading Invincibility). "Mario Galaxy" contains a Rainbow Star that gives the same power, but for a longer period of time (a half-Flaw, sorta).

ONE-UP MUSHROOM (6.5 points):
Immortality 13 (15 minutes) (Flaws: Limited to One Use -2) (6.5)
-Mario comes back from the dead, long enough later than King Koopa can restock the level with bad guys.

TANOOKI SUIT (22 points):
Protection 2 (2)
"Statue Form" Protection 8 (Flaws: Immobile -2) Linked to "Statue Stomp" Strength-Damage +6 (Feats: Can Be Used Underwater) (Inaccurate -1) (8) -- (9)
AE: Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Accurate, Improved Critical) (5)

-OH MY GOD THIS WAS THE CUTEST THING EVER. I LOVED this little thing in "Mario 3", and it's a tragedy that it barely featured into the game (overshadowed by Raccoon Mario), and was in the game so little- very few levels had one. It's basically a Raccoon Suit with the option to form an Invincible Statue, which could also perform a SUPER Stomp, which could kill normally un-Stompable things like the Piranha Plant species and even THWOMPS! He can even Stomp things Underwater, which is crazy. The only flaw is that you'll drop straight down. linking the Immobile Protection form with the Statue Stomp.

FROG SUIT (16 points):
Swimming 5 (16 mph) (5)
Leaping +1 (30 feet) (1)
Protection 2 (2)
-The Frog Suit was a rarely-seen power-up in "Mario 3", letting him swim ULTRA fast, which was very useful, but was worse on land, because you had to hop around kinda funny-like.

HAMMER SUIT (25 points):
Blast 7 (Feats: Ignore Obstacles 2) (Extras: Multiattack) (Diminished Range -2) (21)
Protection 2 (2)
Immunity 5 (Fire Damage) (Flaws: Immobile -2) (2)
-The Hammer Suit was so rarely-seen that I COMPLETELY forgot about it until doing research for these builds! I mean, I STILL have trouble believing that it was real, it was so rare. I had to actually watch play-throughs on YouTube just to see it! The thing was REALLY useful, though, tossing out the short-range Hammers at a rapid pace. Oddly, I have no idea how to make an "Ignores Obstacles" ability short of inventing a new Power Feat, but these things sure as hell flew straight through any interposing objects, preventing the enemy from ever taking Cover from the attacks.

FLOWER (21 points):
"Superball" Blast 6 (Feats: Ricochet 3, Homing 4) (19)
Protection 2 (2)
-The Superball Mario set-up from "Mario Land" lets him throw a single Superball that bounces around a screen for a while, ricocheting off of surfaces.

GOOMBA'S SHOE:
Leaping +1 (30 feet) (1)
Immunity 5 (Auras) (5)
-Called Kuribo's Shoe in America most of the time (that's what Goombas are called in Japan- the translators forgot to change it), this is a rarely-seen Device in "Mario 3"- if you Stomp the Goomba tromping around in it, YOU can jump on it and totally boot on other enemies. You can even walk across those damned invincible Piranha Plant things!

LATER GAME POWER-UPS:

ICE FLOWER (22 points):
Affliction 6 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Immobile & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Multiattack, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Lasts For 2 Rounds, tops) (Diminished Range -1) (19) -- (20)
  • AE: Transform 4 (Lava to Ice) (Extras: Ranged) (12)
Protection 2 (2)
-The Ice Flower is a brilliant addition to "Mario Bros. Wii", allowing the heroes to Freeze enemies instead of blow them up, converting any enemy of the right size into an Ice Block that effectively works like a Koopa Shell. They don't stay frozen long, but it's something.

PROPELLER HAT (14 points):
Flight 5 (60 mph) (10)
Protection 2 (2)
-The Propeller Mushroom (Mario Bros. Wii) bestows a Flying Device that cannot be used to attack, but allows for direct flight with no running starts.

VANISH CAP (3 points):
Concealment (Visuals) 2 (4)
Movement 3 (Permeate 3) (6)

-The Vanish Cap allows Mario to become invisible to enemies and walk through things.

METAL CAP (122 points):
"Invincibility" Immunity 80 (Toughness Effects) (80)
Energy Aura 10 (40)
Immunity 2 (Drowning, Suffocation) (2)
-Metal Mario in "Mario 64" is functionally invincible save for the pits, and can actually be combined with the Vanish Cap to be invisible AND invincible!

MEGA MUSHROOM (16 points):
Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (24 feet) (16)
-The Mega Mushrooms in the Nintendo DS games allow Mario & Luigi to grow to IMMENSE size, blowing through entire chunks of the level and easily beating many enemies. It's a very rare occurrence, but Mario breaks his PL temporarily.

MINI MUSHROOM (9 points):
Shrinking 8 (-2 Strength, Speed -1, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation) (16)
Leaping +1 (30 feet) (1)
Reduced Stamina -3 (-6)
Reduced Strength -2 (-4)
-Becoming Mini Mario makes it much harder to kill enemies, and makes him more vulnerable, but he can fit places he could never fit before, and jump a bit higher (less wind resistance, I guess).

PENGUIN SUIT (28 points):
Affliction 6 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Immobile & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Feats: Ricochet 2) (Extras: Ranged, Multiattack, Extra Condition) (Flaws: Lasts For 2 Rounds, tops) (Diminished Range -1) (19) -- (21)
  • AE: Transform 4 (Lava to Ice) (Extras: Ranged)
  • AE: "Penguine Slide" Damage 5 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Foes) (5)
Movement 1 (Sure-Footed) (2)
Protection 2 (2)
Swimming 3 (4 mph) (3)
-The Penguin Suit is another "Wii" creation, combining the Ice Flower with a Sliding ability and better traction.

BOOMERANG FLOWER (26 points):
Blast 6 (Feats: Ignore Obstacles 2, Ricochet, Homing 4) (Extras: Multiattack) (Diminished Range -1) (24)
Protection 2 (2)
-The Boomerang Mario power-suite is basically like the Hammer Mario one, but with better range and some Boomerang-ish Feats added on to it, but at a lower damage rating.

SPRING MUSHROOM (4 points):
Leaping +2 (60 feet) (2)
Protection 2 (2)
-This part of Mario's repetoire from "Mario Galaxy" basically lets him jump SUPER-high, but messes up his accuracy & defense a bit, making it pretty bad, I would imagine. Probably just a handy thing for hidden power-ups.

ROCK MUSHROOM (11 points):
Movement 1 (Slithering- sorta) (2)
Speed 1 (4 mph) (1)
"Rolling Rock" Damage 6 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited to Path Travelled) (6)
Protection 2 (2)
-A weird Mario Galaxy Power-Up that lets you roll around and mess guys up. Certain enemies are immune however, and can hurt Rock Mario.

CLOUD FLOWER (3 points):
Flight 4 (32 mph) (Flaws: Limited to 3 Uses, Platform) (1)
Protection 2 (2)

-Cloud Mario & Luigi create little Cloud Platforms, but run out of juice very quickly. Mario Galaxy seems really weird.

BEE MUSHROOM (7 points):
Flight 3 (16 mph) (Quirks: Requires Coins/Defeating Enemies) (5)
Features 2: Stands on Clouds, Flowers (2)

-Used in Mario Galaxy, the Bee Mushroom bestows upon Mario a Flight power. Better movement than the forward-moving Cape & Racoon, the Bee power lacks hitting potential, won't let Mario carry things, and requires defeating enemies or gaining coins in order to remain airborne.

WHITE TANOOKI SUIT (132 points):
Energy Aura 10 (40)
"Statue Form" Protection 8 (Flaws: Immobile -2) Linked to "Statue Stomp" Strength-Damage +6 (Feats: Can Be Used Underwater) (9) -- (10)
  • AE: "Tail Attack" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Accurate, Improved Critical) (5)
-The White Tanooki Suit comes about in a Mario 3D Land game- it's a super-cheesy power-up that comes down if you have trouble beating a level, never runs out, and makes you invincible. In these games, the suits can't fly, but with THIS much of a boost, you won't need it.

WHITE RACCOON SUIT (135 points):
Movement 2 (Slow Fall, Water-Walking) (4)
Energy Aura 10 (40)
"Tail Attack" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Accurate, Improved Critical) (5)

-The White Raccoon Suit is basically a Raccoon version of the Tanooki Suit above, and comes from some later games. Mario can Fly in this one, and walk & stand on Water for some reason.

GOLD FLOWER (35 points):
Blast 9 (Feats: Ricochet 2, Improved Critical, Feature- Works Underwater, Affects Insubstantial) (Extras: Burst Area 4 for 4 Ranks, Multiattack) (Diminished Range -1) (33)
Protection 2 (2)
-The Gold Flower creates either Gold Mario or Silver Luigi, who basically have an UBER version of the Fire Flower's abilities, setting out Blasts big enough to take out almost every enemy in the game (including the Boos!). It goes away at the end of the level, however.

BOO MUSHROOM (18 points):
"Levitation" Flight 2 (4 mph) (4)
Movement 3 (Permeate 3) (6)
"Speak Booish" Comprehend 2 (Spirits) (4)
Persuasion 4 (+8) (Flaws: Limited to Boos) (2)
Protection 2 (2)
-Boo Mario & Luigi can fly and pass through solid objects, but can still be injured by enemies. They also lose the powers if they touch Light or Water.

BLUE SHELL (14 points):
Swimming 3 (8 mph) (3)
"Shell Dash" Damage 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Foes) (9)
Protection 2 (2)
-Shell Mario is a powerful little bit in "New Super Mario Bros." (which didn't show up in the sequel), that allows you to kill stuff like Thwomps, but only if you haul ass throughout the level while sliding (dangerous in a Platformer).

CAT SUIT (5 points):
"Claw Swipe" Strength-Damage +2 (2)
"Climbing" Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) (2)
Speed +1 (1)

-Mario 3D World has this extra suit, which allows for some improved athletics, but is largely there because Japan loves cats.

CAPPY (17 points):
Features 2: Sentient [2]
Enhanced Skills 4: Athletics [2]
"Jump Off Of Cappy" Leaping +1 [1]

"Cappy Capture" Mind Control 8 (Extras: Possession) (Flaws: Ranged -1, Limited to One Opponent) (16) -- (20 points)
  • AE: "Thrown Cappy" Blast 6 (Feats: Homing 2) (14)
  • AE: "Handle Projectiles" Deflect 7 (Extras: Reflection) (14)
  • AE: "Do Stuff at Range" Move Object 3 (6)
  • AE: "Throw At Spark Pylon" Speed 6 (Flaws: Limited to Powr Lines, Source- Spark Pylons) (2)
-Cappy is your main ally in Super Mario Odyssey, and tossing him may be controlled by the second player in a co-operative mode. Cappy helps Mario in search of his sister, Tiara, who has also been kidnapped by Bowser, along with Princess Peach.

Updated Offensive Capabilities:
Shell or Thrown Object +12 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Fireball +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Flying Device Attack +12 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Statue Stomp +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Hammer Suit +11 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
---
Superball/Boomerang +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Ice Flower +10 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Penguin Slide +5 Area (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Rolling Rock +6 Area (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Blue Shell +9 Area (+9 Damage, DC 24)
---
Mini Mario +13 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Mega Mario +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25) -- Note: Mario & Luigi become PL 10 temporarily with this power-up.
Gold Flower +10 & +4 Area (+9 Ranged Damage & +4 Area Damage, DC 24 & 19)
---
Invincible Aura/Metal Cap +10 Unarmed/13 Stomp (+10 Damage, DC 25) -- Note: Mario & Luigi become PL 11.5 temporarily with this power-up.

-So altogether, the Bros. get some upgrades when they find stuff. Fire Mario & Luigi are still only PL 8 offensively, but the Hammer Suit or Thrown Objects push them up to PL 9. The Blue Shell will as well with its Area Attack (a few later games also include Area Attacks at different values), while the Mega Mushroom, Gold Flower, Super-Star & other Invincible Powers push them up from PL 10 to PL 11.5.
Jabroniville

Arcade Foes

Post by Jabroniville »

ARCADE FOES
First Appearance:
Mario Bros. (1983)
Game Appearances: Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3
Japanese Names: Kame-san, Hae-san, Kani-san (Mr. Turtle, Fly & Crab)
Role: Common Enemies
PL 4 (22)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Intimidation 2 (+1)
Perception 2 (+1)

Advantages:
None

Powers:
"Villainous Attack" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Regeneration 4 [4]

"PO'd Attack"
Enhanced Fighting 2 (Flaws: Limited to When Recovered) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
PO'd Attacks +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (DC 13), Parry +4 (+6 PO'd, DC 14-16), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Enemy (Mario & Luigi)

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 4--2 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 2 (22)

-Sidesteppers, Shellcreepers & Fighter Flies are the foes in the Mario Bros. Arcade Game from 1983. They attack in basic patterns at first, but if you cheese them off (by failing to kill them after stunning them with an Indirect Stomp- neither Bro had a Stomp in this version), they get a lot more dangerous. The Shellcreepers (the predecessors of the Koopas) are PL 3 most of the time, but upgrade to PL 4 when angry, and the other two go up a PL.

Individual Stats:
SIDESTEPPERS- PL 5 (24):
Protection 2 [2]
-The crab-like Sidesteppers take TWO shots to finish off in the original game. They come in blue or red, and when PO'd, turn Pink.
SHELLCREEPERS- PL 4 (22):
-The baseline enemy, the Shellcreepers lead to the later Koopas.
FIGHTER FLIES- PL 5 (24): Fighting 5 [2]
-The Flies have a leaping attack pattern, making them harder to hit (and avoid).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

One thing I found neat is that they changed the Shellcreepers to Spinies in the later re-releases of Mario Bros., I guess to sort of explain why Mario can't jump ont hem.
Jabroniville

Goombas

Post by Jabroniville »

GOOMBA
First Appearance:
Super Mario Bros. (1985)
Game Appearances: Mario 1-3, Mario 64, Mario Galaxy 1-2, Mario Odyssey, Mario Land, Yoshi's Island 1-2, Mario & Luigi Series, Paper Mario Series, New Super Mario Bros.
Japanese Name: Kuribo
Role: Supreme Jobber of the Universe
PL 3 (16)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+0)
Expertise (Mushroom Kingdom Denizen) 2 (+1)
Stealth 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Close Combat

Powers:
"Goomba Bite" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Bite +4 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +3 (DC 13), Toughness +2, Fortitude +2, Will +0

Complications:
Responsibility (King Koopa's Will)

Total: Abilities: 6 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 4 (16)

-Goombas are the Mookiest Mooks that ever Mooked- the Supreme Jobbers of the Universe, the very first enemy you face in Super Mario Bros. They can be killed with one simple stomp in the first game, and occupy the bottom tier. They're so easy to beat that you can jump on seven in a row if necessary, but just dangerous enough to kill Little Mario. They were actually the enemy created last- the game originally featured only Koopas as the primary foe, but it was decided that they were "too tricky" to be the first enemy faced, and so an enemy that could be killed in one hit was created- they went with a brown mushroom based off of a shiitake. As a kid I thought they were supposed to be Owls (their Mario 1 sprites were kind of... odd-looking and I figured they had beaks), but later on I figured out they were Mushrooms.

-They retained this simple mushroom flavour until Super Mario World, in which the Goombas became sorta like the Koopas- you could knock them over and use them as a thrown weapon, or just "Twirl-Stomp" them to death. Here, they were rounder, chestnut-like creatures, and have since been given a different name and identity- "Galoombas" (see below).

-Stats-wise, they're not terrifying at all. PL 3 minions with no Skills or Advantages to speak of. They don't even get Perception to spot Mario... anyone who's played any Mario games will tell you why- they just move in one direction, never altering course, no matter what.

Variants:

RED PARAGOOMBA- PL 4 (19): Leaping 1, Protection 2 [3]
-These are basically quick-hopping Goombas first found in Mario 3- instead of Flight, they are quick leapers who usually take an extra shot to kill, unless you use fire.

GOOMBA'S SHOE GOOMBAS:
Leaping +1 (30 feet) (1)
Immunity 5 (Auras) (5)
-Some Goombas in Mario 3 wielded the Kuribo's/Goomba's Shoe, which allowed them to jump.

GALOOMBA- PL 4 (20): Protection 2, Regeneration 4 (Not Versus Fire or Yoshi) [4]
-Galoombas are the name that has recently been given to the odd-looking Goombas in Super Mario World- round, chestnut-shaped creatures, they react like Mario 1's Koopas to being struck- being rendered helpless for a time until eventually recovering. At that point, they may be used as a ranged weapons, though you can only throw them a short distance. They have since been largely ignored by the franchise, appearing in side games and the Mario World knock-off titles.

FLYING GOOMBA- PL 4 (21): Protection 2, Regeneration 4 (Not Versus Fire or Yoshi), "Wings" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [5]
-These are the winged "Galoombas" of Super Mario World, being hopping creatures who take a single hit before turning into regular Galoombas.

PRICKLY GOOMBA- PL 5 (32): Protection 4, Spike Aura 4 (Removable) [16]
-Appearing in the New Super Mario Bros. games, these guys wield spiky chestnut coverings that must be burned away with a Fireball shot in order to leave them vulnerable like regular Goombas- otherwise, you will take damage from jumping on them.

OCTOOMBA- PL 3 (16):
-Octoombas are alien-looking Goombas from Super Mario Galaxy.

OCTOGUY- PL 4 (26): "Spit Rocks" Blast 4 (Accurate 2) [10]
-Octoguys appear in Super Mario Galaxy 2, and can spit rocks.

GOOMBEETLE- PL 3 (30): "Helmet" Immunity 5 (Stomp) (Removable) [4]
-Goombeetles are helmet-wearing Goombas immune to the Stomp, appearing in the Galaxy series.

JACK O'GOOMBA- PL 4 (24): Fire Blast 4 (Accurate 2) (Removable) [8]
-Galaxy introduces pumpkin-headed Goombas that an shoot blue fire. One Stomp will destroy the pumpkin.

BONE GOOMBA- PL 3 (16):
-These cool-looking skull-headed Goombas appear in the New Super Mario Bros. series, but are otherwise just as easily defeated.

CAT GOOMBA- PL 4 (19): Leaping 1, Close Attack 2 [3]
-These weird cat-headed Goombas appear in Super Mario 3D World, and attack via leaping.