Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ken

Re: Jab's Builds! (Spider-Women! Sublime! Skreet! Shadow King!)

Post by Ken »

Shalla-Bal... Was there suppossed to be a build in there, besides pics and commentary?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

The Scrier Cabal

Post by Jabroniville »

This is the cosmic dude the Cabal were apparently worshiping.

THE CABAL OF SCRIER:
-The Scriers showed up in the Spider-books after Norman Osborn was returned from the dead in order to help save the books following The Clone Saga. While Norman was hiding away in Europe, and the world thought him dead, he came upon the Cabal of Scriers, and interjected himself into the group, eventually taking it over and forming an elite espionage agency out of it. He used them as minions when he returned to America, and they saved him after the "Gathering of the Five" left him with insanity (well, MORE insanity- Shadrac received "death", and Mattie Franklin gained the power of Spider-Woman).

-Soon, the original Scrier, whom the Scriers had been worshipping, appeared, dealing mostly with the Silver Surfer. Claiming to be older than even Galactus, he offered his help to the Surfer and Alicia Masters, but had a mysterious purpose, being one of those annoying "Cosmic Beings Of Vague Importance". Ultimately, Scrier faded away into obscurity, and the cult fell under a new guy who attempted to feud with Osborn- he was soon killed, and most of that storyline vanished into the ether, never having mattered too much.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote:Shalla-Bal... Was there suppossed to be a build in there, besides pics and commentary?
Nope- many of these characters are a little too minor to actually be built- I don't know enough about their skills, capabilities, etc., but they're interesting enough to talk about, so some of them well just have "notes" about their history. S'Byll, for example, isn't really different from any other Skrull as far as I know (and to answer Goldar's question... I think she was mutated into protoplasm by the Stranger, and got empowered to be super-tough one time).
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote:
Ken wrote: S'Byll, for example, isn't really different from any other Skrull as far as I know (and to answer Goldar's question... I think she was mutated into protoplasm by the Stranger, and got empowered to be super-tough one time).
Thanks, Jab. It was so long ago, I thought perhaps I was imagining it!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So Ken got me curious, so I statted up Shalla-Bal for the hell of it. I'm unsure of much (she doesn't see a lot of combat), so she's effectively an ageless bystander.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Sorry.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ken wrote:Sorry.
THAT WAS TWO MINUTES OF MY LIFE I WILL NEVER GET BACK, GOOD SIR!!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I've been reading a collected trade called X-Men Vingnettes, a series of short issues showing some "off-panel" parts of X-Men lore. It was written by Chris Claremont himself for some collected/reprint books, and man... sometimes I forget that this dude used to be the master. Some of it's filler, but the REST:

* There's a great bit where they reminisce over John Proudstar at his funeral- most confess to barely knowing the man, but little snippets here and there illustrate a good bit of him. It's actually fairly certain to my adult eyes that he suffered from PTSD/Shell-Shock due to his time in Vietnam (his description to Storm over how sneaky and cruel her beloved "jungle" could be; Wolverine's guess that "some part of him got left behind"), and the suicidal behavior that ended his life was a direct result of his failure to find himself again.

* Colossus defends a pretty woman from some toughs, and it turns out they're minions of her father, who wants to return her to her native Russia. The two undergo a brilliant whirlwind romance, with him sketching her, her describing how she must follow her heart, and her dancing at some NYC ballet to rave reviews... until the toughs return and Colossus changes form to save her. Instantly, the woman is horrified, proclaiming him a "monster!", and declares that now she no longer can trust even her own heart. Shattered, she says "a man made of steel HAS no heart!" and runs off. Colossus waits by the river for a full day's time, before tearing the sketch in half and saying "you are wrong".

* Jean Grey faces her inevitable death on that space shuttle, thinking about what her life's come to, when she's confronted by the Phoenix Force, and we actually get to see the conversation that took place, when the Phoenix took Jean's place after heeding her plea for survival. It's very, VERY sobering though, to see what becomes of Jean as the radiation from space affects her body- I'm not sure what monster would allow CHILDREN to read this, but Jean's body actually becomes dessicated, her lips and gums recede, and she loses almost all of her hair, turning into a floating corpse, held together only by her force of will. I hope no kids were collecting these reprints...

* A neat little comic where the X-Men wait at the hospital for Jean, post-Shuttle, to recover. Nightcrawler, restless, gets distracted and spends some time with a kid who's been waiting patiently nearby, hanging out with him all night, before finally showing his true form (he was in his holo-disguise) and making the depressed kid feel a little better. The ending is seen coming from a mile away (a billion stories end exactly like this), but it's still pretty neat.

* Some more of the "early, early days", where Iceman acts like the king of all tools (I get the impression Claremont NEVER liked him; he's never anything but an asshole, and he's the one member of the team who almost never shows up in the "Claremont Years"- Angel gets a Morlock arc, and Beast showed up against Dark Phoenix, but Iceman is persona-non-grata. Or maybe it's because Byrne admittedly hates drawing him.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Agreed about the Shadow King; though I really don't like the ret-con about "him" being an ancient being who merely used Farouk as another host-body (just unnecessary-Claremont NEVER grew out of the "overly complicated back story" writing phase), he's one of the most formidable and despicable X-men villains of the era. He isn't RIDICULOUSLY overpowered, like Proteus (who really should have just been a one-shot plot device menace) but Shadow King can do a LOT of personal harm, while also serving as a subtle "master manipulator" villain. There are just enough limitations on his scope while still showing just how deadly and frightful a psychic menace can be. And yeah, I also like how SK is all about indulging his appetites, dominating people, cruelty for its own sake, and seeking new pleasures for his jaded soul. An unrepentant evil foe with no plan for world conquest or other grandiose aims.
I almost think he might work as a nemesis for Emma Frost, given he's what she was once on the path to becoming, and still teeters on from time to time.

Oh, and you're a hardier soul than I am for even touching on anything dealing with the revived Norman Osborn. I so loathe the whole concept, given that 1)it was born out of the ridiculous "One More Day" editorial mandate, which even JMS disowned; 2)despite the CONSTANT refrain about Gwen Stacy being Peter's "first, best love", and how her death devastated him further, Spider-Man is basically OK with allowing her murderer to run around doing his super-villain shtick again, with no real consequences aside from the occasional short-lived prison stint; and 3)it also resulted in the heinously stupid "U.S. government names Green Goblin national security director and puts him in charge of The Avengers" story line.

(Though all right, given the rampant stupidly nature of American politics, maybe I shouldn't discount the last one. And I say that as a Yankee).

All my best.

BTW: You're right, and I can't believe I never connected the dots since becoming an adult-Thunderbird definitely had PTSD, even if it wasn't called that during the 1970s when the New X-Men debuted. Everything about the character fits the definition. Wow.
Last edited by greycrusader on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

greycrusader wrote:Agreed about the Shadow King; though I really don't like the ret-con about "him" being an ancient being who merely used Farouk as another host-body (just unnecessary-Claremont NEVER grew out of the "overly complicated back story" writing phase), he's one of the most formidable and despicable X-men villains of the era.
I agree. I liked Farouk being the evil powerful mutant on his own. Maybe Shadow King should have been another character totally separated from Farouk?

When did they first use "Shadow King" with Farouk? I never really knew when or where that happened. It just seemed like they stopped calling him Farouk in favor of SK.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Jabroniville wrote:So Ken got me curious, so I statted up Shalla-Bal for the hell of it. I'm unsure of much (she doesn't see a lot of combat), so she's effectively an ageless bystander.
Wasn't Shalla Bal powered up at one point? I think she was, with like Power Cosmic or some such.

I believe she made a dead world alive again with vegetation. It might even have been Zenn-la.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Goldar wrote:
Jabroniville wrote:So Ken got me curious, so I statted up Shalla-Bal for the hell of it. I'm unsure of much (she doesn't see a lot of combat), so she's effectively an ageless bystander.
Wasn't Shalla Bal powered up at one point? I think she was, with like Power Cosmic or some such.

I believe she made a dead world alive again with vegetation. It might even have been Zenn-la.
Yes , she had been and I believe still is imbued with a portion of cosmic power by the Surfer. She used it to bring life back to Zenn-La.
L-Space

Re: Jab's Builds! (Sally Floyd! Spider-Women! Sublime! Skreet!)

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote:
L-Space wrote:*Warning* *Rule against Requests about the be broken!* *If anger over rule-breaking gets too high, please try and make the punishment quick and merciful!*

With you doing the the 'S' Characters from Marvel, would it be in the realms of possibility to get a Spider-Man (Miles Morales) build? I've been digging his current comic and there aren't a lot of builds of him around.
I actually went "wait... I didn't build him already?" He's that unique combination of being mostly unknown to me, and having a Wikipedia page that looks like someone cut & pasted the entire works of J.R.R. Tolkien on one page, so it'd be a lot of work...

except I can just cut & paste a less-experienced Spidey build. AND his name starts with an "S", so he's technically on-theme.

So I figure I can give you a one-time "you've been reading my thread for like ten years" pass for making a request :).
Sweet, thanks Jab. I've enjoyed the new series with him quite a bit and would suggest checking it out. It also confirms your theory that every Spider-man outfit is great.
Formerly luketheduke86
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Since you're on names that start with "S", I may as well bring up the Surgeon General again, if you don't mind.

This is the one build I've seen of them.
Jabroniville

Siege

Post by Jabroniville »

SIEGE (John Kelly)
Created By:
Dwayne McDuffie & Gregory Wright
First Appearance: Marvel Comics Presents #62 (Nov. 1990- as Kelly), Deathlok #19 (Jan. 1993- as Siege)
Role: Forgotten '90s Villain
Group Affiliation: S.H.I.E.L.D., Silver Sable Inc., The Initiative
PL 10 (179)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+11)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Soldier) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Police Officer) 2 (+3)
Expertise (Science) 2 (+3)
Technology 4 (+5)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Evasion, Fast Grab, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Startle

Powers:
"Self-Repairs" Regeneration 4 [4]
Immunity 13 (Mind-Reading, Aging, Life Support) [13]
"Inter-Weave Mesh Body-Suit" Protection 1 (Extras: Impervious 5) [6]
"Long-Range Sensors" Senses 2 (Extended Vision, Tracking) [2]
"Jet Boots" Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
Power-Lifting 1 (50 tons) [1]

"Weapon Systems"
"Plasma Cannon" Blast 10 (Feats: Penetrating 6) (26) -- [27]
  • AE: "Gatling Plasma Bursts" Blast 7 (Feats: Accurate) (Extras: Multiattack) (22)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Plasma Cannon +9 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Gatling Bursts +11 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10 (+3 Impervious), Fortitude +9, Will +5

Complications:
Prejudice (Obvious Superhuman)- A cyborg with a decayed human face, Siege cannot pass for an ordinary human.
Quirk (Unemotional and No Tactile Senses)- Because his body is not his own (his brain was downloaded into another cyborg body), Siege cannot feel anything by touch, and experiences life a bit "apart", like he's in video game.

Total: Abilities: 80 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 69 / Defenses: 11 (179)

-Siege was a side-character of Deathlok's, being a police officer who offered to become a guinea pig for the Deathlok Program after getting fired from his job. He was considered a failure and scrapped, but Deathlok accidentally downloaded his personality and put him into a new cyborg body. He was actually supposed to be a "Sneak Preview" of a potential Deathlok comic, but plans changed and the character was put into limbo for a couple of years until appearing well into the Deathlok book. He actually got around a fair bit in the '90s (despite me only knowing him from his Series IV Marvel Card- in their "obscure characters now get cards" era), teaming with a ton of forgotten side-characters (in addition to Silver Sable and Daredevil), but soon disappeared. He showed up again as the leader of The Command, Florida's Initiative team (alongside Conquistador, Wundarr the Aquarian & Jennifer Kale the Bikini-Wearing Mystic), but they were attacked by zombies, and Conquistador & Siege were killed (Siege had turned into a zombie, and his mechanical half killed his human-ish half because it registed it as a threat.

-Like most cyborgs, Siege is technically "alive", though has a bunch of resistance to things, tremendous strength, and high levels of power. He matches up very well with Deathlok, though only barely makes PL 10 status in most ways (as a minor side-character who really failed to make a major mark or get any major feats, I think this is appropriate). He never came across that strong in descriptions of him, but at least one source says that he's a Class 100-ish guy, so I don't know exactly where he falls. Maybe one of the fans who bought Deathlok's comic way back in the early '90s could shed some light on the situation.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.