Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Tri-Tops

Post by Jabroniville »

TRI-TOPS
Role:
Huge Dominant Herbivore
PL 10 (94)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 3 (+4)
Intimidation 13 (+13 Size)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Close Attack, Diehard, Improved Critical (Horn) 3, Interpose, Power Attack

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
"Ceratopsian Horns" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Penetrating 7) [10]
"Ceratopsian Neck Frill" Enhanced Dodge 1 & Parry 2 [3]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
"Dinosaur Stampede!" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited to Movement Path) [10]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Impervious Toughness 9 [9]

"M.D.C. Creature" Protection 3 [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Horn +8 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Stampede +10 Area (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +3 (+4 Frill, DC 14), Parry +6 (+8 Frill, DC 18), Toughness +13 (+5 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +7

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dinosaurs cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.
Weakness (Cold Climates)- The Age of Reptiles was a much hotter time period than our own. Creatures from that era will be more susceptible to Cold and Ice-based attacks.

Total: Abilities: 14 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 54 / Defenses: 10 (94)

-Triceratops, given an inexplicable name change to the much dumber "Tri-Tops", are largely unchanged, save they've become tougher, and hit a notch higher. They are said to be readily preyed upon by Native Americans and other sentients, because "their meat is delicious, and females can produce gallons of milk a day!" WHAT THE FU-- okay, so they say whether or not they're actual dinosaurs from Earth's past or similar creatures from another world is "unclear", that's, like... DINOSAURS ARE REPTILES!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unbeliever

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Mountain Giants! Worm Wraith! Dinosaurs!)

Post by Unbeliever »

First off, super impressed as always Jab! Like many people, I have a long-running love/hate relationship with Rifts, and have occasionally tried my own hand at converting it to M&M (though that campaign fell apart, like they do). Also, while I'm a fan of Savage Worlds, I'm not positive their Savage Rifts game really "clicks" as well as a conversion like this does: Savage Rifts is a perfectly lovely game, but there's just not a ton of material out there, so you kind of lose the big appeal of Rifts (all the crazy stuff!), and also, my ideal of Rifts is to more take what you want and leave the rest. That being said, I look forward to some time controlling capybaras ... I'm happy, though not really surprised as I've been a long-time fan of your many many builds, that you've been willing to crawl down this rabbit hole.

A question for you, though, and anyone else bothering to read this. I wonder how to treat Equipment in a game like this. The Man at Arms type character can buy his laser rifle at the huge discount b/c it's Equipment, and can probably also buy a rocket launcher and all sorts of cool stuff that way (Rifts has a lot of guns ...). But, the Ley Line Walker or whatnot has to pay full freight for their comparable blast power. Maybe it doesn't matter that much b/c the magic will be in an array? I only really care about it for PCs and keeping things comparable at character generation. I'll be interested to hear what you all think.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

don't be too hard on the names Jab remember youre dealing with a time when most modern education has vanished so people make up names on the spot, So Tri top for a three horned dino makes sense.
A question for you, though, and anyone else bothering to read this. I wonder how to treat Equipment in a game like this. The Man at Arms type character can buy his laser rifle at the huge discount b/c it's Equipment, and can probably also buy a rocket launcher and all sorts of cool stuff that way (Rifts has a lot of guns ...). But, the Ley Line Walker or whatnot has to pay full freight for their comparable blast power. Maybe it doesn't matter that much b/c the magic will be in an array? I only really care about it for PCs and keeping things comparable at character generation. I'll be interested to hear what you all think.
Thats always one of the trickier questions in conversions like this to a point buy system. Equipment is by default easy to use easy to lose easy to buy. Most Rifts weapons are very powerful but also common as dirt especially MDC weapons which really shake the PL tree. the only restricions are for things like Triax and Coalition weapons which are restricted and even they can be brought via black market or taken from fallen Coalition soldiers.

which leads to the equipment versus device argument, Most Power armor isn't cheap or readily available like GBs or Samas
but thanks to the good folks at NGR you can buy some sets of power armor practically off the lot with the credits

long story short its not an easy question to answer right off the bat
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I think that you start to answer the question by looking at mechanical effects rather than cosmetic effects.

A ranged damage effect could be a lightning bolt, a fireball, a heavy pistol blast or a railgun shot. Sure, they could have different levels of damage, range limitations or other spiffies, but at the core, its a ranged damage effect.

Does it really matter what gun is in your hand when it comes to the mechanics?

Power suits could be a transformation effect if there is enough difference in how a character can interact with the world. Maybe even a summon.

One of the things that really comes home with these builds is how pieces are used over and over again regardless of the overlaying fluff.

Another bit to throw in there, does the GM feel comfortable in making the point discount for a Device actually mean something? A drawback that isn't actually a drawback shouldn't allow you to save points as if it was a drawback.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Unbeliever wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:42 pm First off, super impressed as always Jab! Like many people, I have a long-running love/hate relationship with Rifts, and have occasionally tried my own hand at converting it to M&M (though that campaign fell apart, like they do). Also, while I'm a fan of Savage Worlds, I'm not positive their Savage Rifts game really "clicks" as well as a conversion like this does: Savage Rifts is a perfectly lovely game, but there's just not a ton of material out there, so you kind of lose the big appeal of Rifts (all the crazy stuff!), and also, my ideal of Rifts is to more take what you want and leave the rest. That being said, I look forward to some time controlling capybaras ... I'm happy, though not really surprised as I've been a long-time fan of your many many builds, that you've been willing to crawl down this rabbit hole.
Thanks :). It's been a fun look at things. Also, it forces me to objectively look at the statlines a lot more, making me realize just WHAT is overpowered, and HOW.
It's a bit weird, and almost definitely unfair, especially as the Wizard actually has WEAKNESSES to his powers (the PPE/ISP costs), and the gun guy can just get new E-Clips. The only difference is, you can disarm Gun Guys pretty easily.
catsi563 wrote:don't be too hard on the names Jab remember youre dealing with a time when most modern education has vanished so people make up names on the spot, So Tri top for a three horned dino makes sense.
A dumb name is a dumb name, no matter how little education someone has :P
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Tyrannosaurus Rex

Post by Jabroniville »

TYRANNOSAURUS REX
Role:
Huge-Sized Theropod, Prehistoric Nightmare Fuel
PL 12 (114)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 11 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+10)
Close Combat (Bite) 1 (+9)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Intimidation 15 (+15 Size)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 9 (+3 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Bite) 4, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent & Extended Scent 3) [5]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Theropod Bite" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Penetrating 7) [10]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (21 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach) [4]
Impervious Toughness 7 [7]

"M.D.C. Creature" Protection 4 [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Bite +9 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +15 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +8

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Dinosaurs cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 45 / Defenses: 20 (114)

-And of course the T-Rex is utilized. Here, he's a notch more damaging and much tougher, given MUCH more durability than a Dragon Hatchling or most things short of a Glitter Boy.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Grigleaper

Post by Jabroniville »

In space, no one can hear you break international copywrite law.

GRIGLEAPER
Role:
Pack Hunters, Jurassic Park Knock-Offs
PL 12 (104)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 14 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 7 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+7)
Intimidation 10 (+7)
Perception 5 (+7)
Stealth 3 (+7)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Claws) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Terrible Claws" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Movement 2 (Wall-Crawling 2) [4]

"M.D.C. Creature" Protection 6 [6]

"Four Arms" Extra Limbs 2 [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Claws +14 (+10 Damage, DC 28)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +14 (DC 24), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +8, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Grigleapers cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 15 (104)

-Yes, Kevin "Intellectual Property Is The #1 Thing I Care About" Siembieda signed off on a book that contains Alien's Xenomorphs with Predator's Yaut'jas faces. They are said to be merciless, brave predators who inhabit the ruins of old cities in nesting areas including hundreds of creatures, as they can scale things vertically. Their M.D.C. isn't great (likely to be 40-80), but they were a big nuisance to my group in the one game my friend Paul GM'd for us, as that's actually enough to take 4-5 rounds for any one character to kill them. Also, their accuracy is nightmarish- low damage, but these suckers have six attacks per round in the game.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

One word, man: Riathenors
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

kreuzritter wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:57 pm One word, man: Riathenors
A Google Search indicates those were in Aliens Unlimited, but I don't see them in my PDF copy. Did they rip off the Xenomorphs, too?
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:13 am
A Google Search indicates those were in Aliens Unlimited, but I don't see them in my PDF copy. Did they rip off the Xenomorphs, too?
Aliens Unlimited had a few extra books, including the Galaxy Guide which has the Riathenor.

To give you an idea: https://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons ... galaxy/10/
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Haha, oh Jesus, that's terrible.
Jabroniville

Mammoth Brontodon

Post by Jabroniville »

MAMMOTH BRONTODON
Role:
Giant Beast
PL 12 (106)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 11 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 12 (+13 Size)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Diehard, Improved Critical (Whip Tail) 2, Interpose, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent, Extended Scent 2) [4]
Speed 1 (8 mph) [1]
"Long Neck & Tail" Reach 6 [6]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 8 (Str & Sta +8, +8 Mass, +4 Intimidation, -4 Dodge/Parry, +1 Speed, -8 Stealth) -- (30 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [17]
Strength-Damage +5 [5]

"Stampede!" Damage 10 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Shapeable) (Flaws: Limited to Movement Path) [10]
"M.D.C. Creature" Protection 4 (Extras: Impervious 17) [21]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Area Attacks +10 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative -1

Defenses:
Dodge +2 (DC 12), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +15 (+9 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Brontodons cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 64 / Defenses: 17 (106)

-Okay, I like this one- it actually shows some insight and design as opposed to "Take normal thing; stick a new thing on it". Brontodons are reptilian-looking alien creatures with multiple noses, four eyes, and traits in common with Ankylosaurs, Lizards, and more- their big flat tail and noses are distinctive. Despite having hundreds of M.D.C., the creatures are frequently used by the Simvan Monster Riders, who love them only a little less than Ostrosaurs- they affix palanquins to the backs of the Brontodons, and fight via these huge platforms.

-Brontodons do so much damage with a "Takes two melee attacks" strike that an additional paragraph explains the shock that can kill even an individual wearing Power Armor- I kind of like that concept, as it makes a creature more dangerous than the norm.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Moss-Back Scuttler

Post by Jabroniville »

MOSS-BACK SCUTTLER
Role:
Large & Patient Predator
PL 10 (83)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+5)
Intimidation 10 (+7, +8 Size)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5, +3 Size)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Tail), Improved Hold, Startle

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 4 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent & Extended Scent 2) [4]
Speed 3 (16 mph) [3]
"Natural Weapons & Tail" Strength-Damage +7 (Feats: Penetrating 5) [12]
"Six Legs" Extra Limbs 2 [2]

"Dino Sized" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]
Strength-Damage +1 [1]

"M.D.C. Creature" Protection 7 (Extras: Impervious 9) [16]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Tail +6 (+14 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +14, Fortitude +8, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Scuttlers cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 16 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 43 / Defenses: 7 (83)

-Moss-Back Scuttlers aren't bad- the kind of grab-bag monster that really suits a setting this weird- though their ecology makes little sense. They're huge, slow-looking beasts that resemble turtles with stuff growing on their backs because they rarely need to eat, yet eat like frogs (with long tongues) and kill... tiny lizards and stuff? Yeah, these 10-foot long creatures are supposed to be insectivorous and slaughter small animals for their diet.

-The Scuttlers have a poor number of attacks and aren't terribly accurate, but their hitting power and durability are completely insane, making them some of the toughest things in this book- about 450 M.D.C. (Toughness +14) and ultra-damaging natural weapons.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

JDRook wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:22 am
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:13 am
Aliens Unlimited had a few extra books, including the Galaxy Guide which has the Riathenor.

To give you an idea: https://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons ... galaxy/10/
Hehe, yeah, the guy who is so dead set against anyone messing with his intellectual properties had the balls to include that in his game line.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Rhino-Buffalo

Post by Jabroniville »

RHINO-BUFFALO
Role:
Inexplicable Predator
PL 10 (92)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY -1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Close Combat (Horn) 2 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 11 (+8, +9 Size)
Perception 3 (+3)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Diehard, Improved Initiative, Interpose, Power Attack, Startle, Tracking

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Acute & Extended Scent) [2]
Speed 5 (60 mph) [5]
Leaping 2 (30 feet) [2]
"Natural Weapons" Strength-Damage +2 (Extras: Penetrating 5) [7]

"Natural Size" Growth 3 (Str & Sta +3, +3 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -3 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [7]
Strength-Damage +2 [2]
"Thick Layer of Skin" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 7) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Natural Weapons +9 (+11 Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +10 (+4 Impervious), Fortitude +12, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Rhino-Buffalo cannot speak to humans, nor use their hooves to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 34 / Defenses: 23 (92)

-The silly-named "Rhino-Buffalo" is actually a lethal predator in the the book, despite a fairly non-predatory body plan (resembling a rhino). Extremely fast, and with the M.D.C. of a solid suit of Armor, it's... okay, but beatable. Hilariously, the book suggests that these solitary creatures include among their favorite prey the Mammoth Brontodon, a 1,000+ M.D.C. creature they couldn't hope to beat in a million years. They only do 4D6 M.D. with their natural weapons!
Last edited by Jabroniville on Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.