Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
squirrelly-sama

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Nuckelavee! Werewolf! Windigo! Tarasque! Siren!)

Post by squirrelly-sama »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:26 pm One of the difficulties of the "Hindu" mythology is that the idea that it's all one religion was something largely externally imposed by British colonists. You'd might as well try to merge the mythologies of all Native Americans (which many do) or try to explain European mythology by merging Greek, Roman, Christian, and Pagan mythologies into one system.

Of course, frankly, Greek and Roman mythology have some degree of that too since people people largely conflate Greek and Roman mythology despite them kind of evolving in parallel from a common Indo-European religion that was also parent to Norse and Slavic mythologies.
I was under the impression that the Roman mythology evolved out of Greek mythology while also gaining influence from other cultures, while the helanistic greek mythology metamorphosed out of the Mycanayan Greek mythology which was wildly different in it's structure because it was stolen from another now lost civilization.
Jabroniville

Fachen

Post by Jabroniville »

114) FACHEN
Origin:
Folklore (Scotland)
Role: Frightening Monster
PL 8 (98)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+7)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 9 (+11)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 7 (+10)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Disabled (One Hand, Foot & Eye)- Fachens are probably easy enough to topple over, and cannot easily manipulate objects with their single hand.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 1 / Defenses: 7 (98)

-The "Fachan", as it's typically called, is a monster or giant described as having a single eye, a hand protruding from its chest instead of arms, and a single leg with which to hop. It used a flail tipped with poisoned apples. The name possibly comes from the Irish "Fathach" (Giant), which is why all this sounds so familiar to me- this is likely the basis for the Athach in Dungeons & Dragons.

-The MIMP line inexplicably turns Fachen into a large bug-man, its single foot being paired up with a long, segmented tail, allowing it to stand up.
Woodclaw

Re: Siren

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:32 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:35 am -The Sirens represent another great aspect of Greek Mythology- the existence of these random-ass things way out in the wilderness as more of a "Chapter Two" foe than a Main Event-level threat.
Yeah, Mythic Greece seemed to actually have a legit Random Monster Table where you could randomly stumble across siren, centaur, cyclops, nymphs, sphinxs, gorgons, minotaur and so on. It's no wonder so many of their mythic monsters made their way into the Monster Manual.

Going over older mythology, I actually tried to find "monsters" that would have made player character races. Our idea of Elves and Dwarves comes from Norse mythology, while gnomes, various "little people", goblins and the like are spread over European folklore. But elves and dwarves tended to be closer to actual Asgardian gods in terms of relative power and ability (dwarves forged all of the really cool stuff for the gods), while the "little folk" tended to be more like house fairies or wood fairies that would either bring you good fortune or completely ruin you life.

Beings like centaur, mermaids and the like seemed to better fit the whole "D&D race" thing, being mortal beings who frequently had relatable human emotions. But beings like that don't generally play into folklore or mythology because, well, these kinds of creatures were never meant to have their own civilizations or be someone humans could see as equal to themselves, they were either threats to the hero or sources of training/useful gear. It would be kind of fun to go back through the MIMP builds and see which creatures could potentially make good PC races.
My friend Mauro Longo (a former archeologist student turned game designer) actually published a series of articles about how much of our perception of fantasy is actually shaped by the way Tolkien and D&D retold some myths and left others behind. In actual fact these influences run much deeper than the simple idea of what might or might not be a PC-worthy race. For example, the idea of the main characters (i.e. PCs) as outsiders of sort called in to deal with an equally "unusual" danger comes straight from Beowulf.
Personally when I run a game of Lex Arcana (a game that Mauro actually contributed to) that last bit was of the biggest problems I had to contend with. See, Lex Arcana is based on a Roman uchornia and the PCs are members of special branch of the Praetorian Guard, tasked with dealing with supernatural threats to the Roman Empire. While they have a great deal of autonomy, these character are still accountable for their actions and must fit with a military hierarchy... which actually grated on the nerves of so many players who were hoping to play D&D with just a coat of Roman paint.
I saw similar problems with Pendragon, although to a lesser degree since the knight errant is a much more familiar figure than the Roman Legionaire.
Ares wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:49 pm Something else I thought of recently when going through my old mythology books and watching videos on gods, kami and the like, and that's how our modern concept of "gods" differs from how they were portrayed in the myths. And I don't mean things like Thor having blonde hair or myths being sanitized like other fairy tales. I mean more how we tend to think of gods as these all powerful, all knowing, invincible beings far above mortals . . . when in most mythology they really aren't. The gods of the Norse, Egpytian and Greek pantheons as well as the Kami of Japan, the Tuatha de Danann of Ireland and the various spirits/gods of Africa were not all powerful or all knowing. They often didn't have the whole picture of what was going on, they frequently got tricked by mortals, and in several cases we had mortals thwart, defeat or outright injure these beings. True, you rarely saw this happen to guys like Zeus or Odin, but almost everyone else was fair game.
I hear you, which is actually why some comic-book interpretations of the various pantheons really grated on my nerves. In many mythologies gods were more similar to humans++, with similar qualities and flaws, often magnified to an even higher degree by their own powers. Heck in some mythologies the gods were actually very much mortal, although extremely long-lived or possessing some kind of trick to keep mortality at day (like Idunn's apples).
Ares wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:49 pm The idea of gods being all powerful seems to stem more from Judaeo-Christian notions of an omnipotent and omniscient creator deity, when most pantheos were definitely neither all-knowing or all-powerful. The closest we get is the Hindu/Indian pantheon, but they're this kind of weird hybrid of a pantheon and mono-theism, where there's basically one "God" and all of the other gods are different aspects / avatars of said being, who in turn frequently have multiple avatars and incarnations themselves.
Actually the idea of a singular creator deity that produced a number of manifestations to interact with its much more limited worshipers is hardly unique to the Hindu tradition, there are similar precepts in the Zoroastrianism and in a number of other ancient religions. Heck, in theory that's exactly the role of the Angels in the Abrahamic tradition.
The entire idea of being able to directly commune with "the one true god" is actually something relatively recent that spawned from the secolarization of the Abrahamic religions.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Fachen

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:43 pm Image
Got to give this artist props for making this hot mess of a monster (which reads like someone rolled really bad on a Random Mutation Table) look intimidating.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

ah the Fachen. I never could remember that thing's name. It was always that weird bug-tree-guy to me.
Jabroniville

Ymir

Post by Jabroniville »

52) YMIR (aka "Frost Giant")
Origin:
Mythological Being (Norse History)
Role: Super-Giant, Foundation of Midgard
PL 18 (260)
STRENGTH
26 STAMINA 22 AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Intimidation 10 (+10, +24 Size)
Perception 2 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit 4 (King of the Frost Giants), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Last Stand, Power Attack, Startle, Takedown 2

Powers:
Growth 28 (Str & Sta +28, +28 Mass, +14 Intimidation, -14 Dodge/Parry, +3 Speed, -28 Stealth) -- (1,000 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [57]
Protection 5 (Extras: Impervious 31) [36]
Immunity 26 (Aging, Life Support, Fatigue Effects, Cold Effects) [26]
Regeneration 10 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [11]
Immortality 2 [4]

"Huge Fists & Feet" Damage 18 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) [54]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+26 Damage, DC 41)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +27 (+16 Impervious), Fortitude +22, Will +12

Complications:
Enemy (Odin, Vili & Ve)

Total: Abilities: 10 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 188 / Defenses: 40 (260)

-Ymir is the ancestor of all Jotun (he sired a boy and a girl from his armpit, like ya do), and was slain by Odin, Vili and Ve near the beginning of what we call reality- they fashioned the Earth from his corpse, the seas from his blood, the hills from his bones, the clouds from his brains, the heavens from his skull, and the trees from his hair. The character himself doesn't seem to appear in any stories beyond that- he's just this evil creator of Jotun that dies and is turned into a planet. Though I guess he drank milk from a giant Cosmic Cow that should totally be more famous.

-The MIMP figure is a bit plain, being a bearded guy in a static pose. He was later renamed "Frost Giant" as part of the mass-renamings in the UK following the Ganesha controversy.

-I threw some stuff off of my build for Marvel's Ymir (mostly Environmental stuff), creating a weaker, but still PL 18 version, requiring three Gods (Odin and his forgotten brothers) to finish off.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ok, I have a question of dire importance to this thread:

When I post Fatal Fury and KoF builds... should I stat the Korea Teams when I get to Kim in the FF set, or wait until I start KoF builds properly?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:37 am Ok, I have a question of dire importance to this thread:

When I post Fatal Fury and KoF builds... should I stat the Korea Teams when I get to Kim in the FF set, or wait until I start KoF builds properly?
I'd say wait to include them in KoF builds, keeping the characters clustered/organized according to their game appearances.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Minotaur

Post by Jabroniville »

64) MINOTAUR
Origin:
Mythological Creature (Ancient Greece)
Role: Maze Monster
PL 8 (69)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+8)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+8)
Intimidation 10 (+9, +10 Size)
Perception 6 (+7)
Stealth 4 (+3 Size)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Gore!), Improved Grab, Power Attack, Startle

Equipment:
"Axe" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Reach) (4)

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
"Gore!" Strength-Damage +2 (Flaws: Limited to While Charging) [1]
"Natural Size" Growth 2 (Str & Sta +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Horns +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +9, Will +4

Complications:
Temper- Minotaur Bulls often fly into an uncontrollable rage when provoked, acting foolishly and recklessly.

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 8 / Defenses: 12 (69)

-The Minotaur remains one of the most famous one-off Greek Monsters, with a fairly famous origin story. King Minos prayed to Poseidon to send him a snow-white bull in order to outcompete his brothers over rulership of Crete- Poseidon did so with the agreement that Minos sacrifice the bull to show proper honor. Minos instead decided to keep the bull and sacrifice one of his own, lamer bulls instead. So Poseidon did what Gods do, and had Minos's wife Pasiphae fall in love with the bull. Pasiphae was so entranced that she got the inventor Daedalus to build her a wooden cow costume so that she could get mounted all proper-like- the craftsman, whose opinion on this tragically goes unrecorded, was like "sure" and so Pasiphae went and got herself impregnated with that snow-white bull seed and gave birth to a bull-headed monster. So Minos did the proper thing and had Daedalus build a maze, and threw the Minotaur into the middle of it.

-In this Labyrinth, the Minotaur slew lots of sacrificial virgins (Minos was pissed that Athens had killed his son, and demanded sacrifice as part of the spoils of war) until the hero Theseus used a long piece of string to secure himself a proper way out of the maze, and he killed the monster with a sword. Theseus thus married Ariadne, daughter of Minos, and became a conquering hero and thus the Origin Story of a town's founding (most Greek "Hero Tales" are actually just "we're so awesome" team-spirit propaganda like that). The story itself may also be metaphorical- the Minoans of Crete used to dominate Greek culture, but eventually the kingdom fell (the ruins of the palace at Knossos are quite elaborate), allowing Hellenic culture to develop on the mainland. The Minotaur could thus represent Crete itself, being "slain" by a mainland Greek like Theseus.

-The MIMP figure is not bad, but under-detailed- just a muscular, hunched-over guy in a loincloth. The bull's head looks good, though.

-The Minotaur is a PL 7.5 creature- strong and powerful, but not so much that a Standard-Issue Greek Hero could not defeat him by himself.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Ares wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:59 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:37 am Ok, I have a question of dire importance to this thread:

I'd say wait to include them in KoF builds, keeping the characters clustered/organized according to their game appearances.
Agreed.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Jabroniville

Hydra

Post by Jabroniville »

2) HYDRA
Origin:
Mythological Creature (Ancient Greece)
Role:[/b] Hero-Killing Monster, Unkillable Foe
PL 11 (173)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -3

Skills:
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 12 (+14 Size)
Perception 2 (+3)

Advantages:
Diehard, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Interpose, Power Attack, Takedown 2, Withstand Damage

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute Scent) [2]
Speed 2 (16 mph) [2]
"Long Neck & Tail" Reach 5 [5]
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]

"Dino-Sized" Growth 6 (Str & Sta +6, +6 Mass, +3 Intimidation, -3 Dodge/Parry, -6 Stealth) -- (18 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [13]
Strength-Damage +4 [4]
Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 13) [15]

"Regrow Heads"
Regeneration 8 (Feats: Regrow Heads) [9]
Immortality 15 (Flaws: Limited- Stumps Being Burned, Limited to Recovery From Slashing Damage) [8]

"Bite Everything Around" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2 on 9 Ranks) Linked to Weaken Stamina 11 (Extras: Progressive +2, Burst +2) (Both Have Flaws: Limited to When Recovered From Slashing Damage) (53) -- [55]
  • AE: "Bite Everything" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Area- 60ft. Shapeable +2 on 9 Ranks) Linked to Weaken Stamina 11 (Extras: Progressive +2, Shapeable +2) (Both Have Flaws: Limited to When Recovered From Slashing Damage) (53)
  • AE: "Multiple Heads" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 11) (Ranks 7-11 Limited to When Recovered From Slashing Damage) Linked to Weaken Stamina 11 (Extras: Progressive +2, Multiattack) (Flaws: Multiattack Limited to When Recovered From Slashing Damage) (48)
Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+11 Damage, DC 30)
Bite +9 (+11 Damage & Weaken, DC 26 & 21)
Area Attacks +9 (+9 Damage & +11 Weaken, DC 24 & 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +10 (+7 Impervious), Fortitude +10, Will +6

Complications:
Disabled (Monster)- Hydras cannot speak to humans, nor use their limbs to easily manipulate objects.

Total: Abilities: 18 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 119 / Defenses: 20 (173)

-The Hydra is among the most famous of all Grecian monsters- the monstrous dragon that proved nearly unkillable, for every time a head was sliced off, two more would replace it. Its reputation is mostly from its great appearance and this one trick, as it's largely a small part of mythology- it was merely the second of Heracles's Twelve Labors, killed when the hero's clever second, Iolas, burn the stumps where the heads had been severed, cauterizing the wounds and preventing new heads from sprouting forth. The final, immortal head, was sliced off and placed under a massive boulder, and he dipped his arrows in the creature's poisonous blood, which would play into later stories, where these arrows slew the Stymphalian Birds, the giant Geryon, and the centaur Nessus- whose poisoned hide would later kill Heracles himself, ending his mortal life.

-The MIMP figure is truly one of the best in the line, featuring nine heads in total (one central, large head, and eight skinnier ones facing it), reptilian-styled wings, a scaled back (many figures in the line have plain backs, since it assumes kids won't be looking at them, I think), distinct paws, and more. It's really awesome. The NES game features them in Stage Three.

-For these stats, I used the second-tier Hydra found in Dungeons & Dragons, as its size reflected the 30 foot-tall monster depicted in the information guide (18 feet for the body- the heads make it taller). I simply added wings, as the creature was said to have them, and threw in the deadly venomous bite.
Woodclaw

Re: Hydra

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 pm -The Hydra is among the most famous of all Grecian monsters- the monstrous dragon that proved nearly unkillable, for every time a head was sliced off, two more would replace it. Its reputation is mostly from its great appearance and this one trick, as it's largely a small part of mythology- it was merely the second of Heracles's Twelve Labors, killed when the hero's clever second, Iolas, burn the stumps where the heads had been severed, cauterizing the wounds and preventing new heads from sprouting forth. The final, immortal head, was sliced off and placed under a massive boulder, and he dipped his arrows in the creature's poisonous blood, which would play into later stories, where these arrows slew the Stymphalian Birds, the giant Geryon, and the centaur Nessus- whose poisoned hide would later kill Heracles himself, ending his mortal life.
It's kind of interesting how the community of the mythology fans actually disagree on how the Hydra was killed. According to some versions of the myth, while Herakles kept chopping the heads off, Iolas actually set fire to the tails of the monster, because while the Hydra and a metric crapton of head, it only had one heart and when the fire reached it the monster died... of course this would make dipping the arrows into the blood a tad more difficult.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Gargoyle

Post by Jabroniville »

72) GARGOYLE
Origin:
Architectural Feature (Middle Ages Europe)
Role: Building Protectors
PL 6 (58)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Intimidation 10 (+8)
Perception 8 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Move-By Action, Startle

Powers:
Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Protection)- Gargoyles are meant to frighten away and ward off evil spirits.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 10 (58)

-Gargoyles have been a part of large-scale architecture for centuries, though what we typically refer to as "Gargoyles" are actually "Grotesques"- monstrous statues atop buildings. A proper "Gargoyle" is actually a water spout to release runoff water from the tops of buildings, but given a monster face. The name comes from the French "Gargouille" ("throat/gullet"). They're named in a story about St. Romanus, a chancellor of the Merovingian King Clotaire II, who captured a dragon named "La Gargouille" and burned it- its head would not burn, so it was placed on a church to scare off evil spirits. Thus, this is the purpose of Gargoyles and Grotesques- to protect sacred buildings from evil.

-Similar creatures have existed even beyond Medieval times- lion-headed water spouts were common in Egypt & Greece in antiquity. French gargoyles and grotesques typically resembled dragons, but finally they all started developing into these beaked, winged creatures.

-The MIMP figure is alright, but unspectacular, being rather short to make up for having large batlike wings on its back. He has a beaky mouth and a strong posture, though. The bio indicates that they sometimes attack people, while mentioning their original purpose.

-These Gargoyles don't have any stone powers, and are simple PL 6 flying creatures.
Jabroniville

Jabborwock

Post by Jabroniville »

"And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back."
-Jabberwocky, Lewis Carroll

50) JABBORWOCK (aka Jabberwock)
Origin:
Fictional Creature (1871 England- Lewis Carroll)
Role: Evil Beast
PL 9 (77)
STRENGTH
9 STAMINA 10 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Intimidation 10 (+10 Size)
Perception 8 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Move-By Action, Startle

Powers:
Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]
Growth 4 (Str & Sta +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+9 Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +10, Fortitude +10, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Protection)- Gargoyles are meant to frighten away and ward off evil spirits.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 13 / Defenses: 18 (77)

-The famous Jabberwock is named for a "nonsense poem" by Lewis Carroll, who included it in his two Alice in Wonderland stories- the poem consists of a ton of made-up words, many of which were so notable that they came to be actually used- such as "chortled" and "galumphing". The term "Vorpal Blade goes Snicker-Snack!" actually gave the Dungeons & Dragons weapons their name, owing to the nature of the creature's fate- it was decapitated at the end of the tale. The creature is known for a fairly entertaining, unique drawing by John Tenniel, giving us this buck-toothed, skinny draconic being- less fearsome and more bizarre and unsettling. It's suggested that he took inspiration from the then-current fascination with these newly-discovered "dinosaur" things- the creature resembled both a long-necked sauropod and a leathery-winged pteranodon.

-The MIMP figure (spelled "Jabborwock") is one of the true best- seemingly flat from the front, it has the long, arching neck of the elongated creature, the bat-like wings, the iconic open-mouthed, buck-toothed look, and more. Very well-detailed and well-posed.

-The Jabberwocky here is fairly big, but beatable if someone has a "Vorpal Blade".
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Hunchback

Post by Jabroniville »

48) HUNCHBACK (aka Quasimodo)
Origin:
Fictional Character ("The Hunchback of Notre Dame"- Victor Hugo)
Role: Deformed Monster
PL 7 (69)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -2 AWARENESS -2 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+8)
Athletics 10 (+15)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+9)
Intimidation 11 (+9)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Church-Bred"
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 1 (4 mph) [1]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- The Inner Workings of Buildings) [2]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Deformed & Ugly)- Quasimodo has the "ugliest face in all of Paris", and is treated like a pariah by nearly everybody he meets. The legend of "The Bellringer of Notre Dame" is known to the people of Paris, as well.
Relationship (Minister Frollo)- Frollo has raised Quasimodo almost from birth, and Quasi trusts him implicitly.
Relationship (Esmeralda)- The first woman Quasi ever met is ALSO an uber-hottie, and so Quasi is entranced.
Rivalry (Captain Phoebus)- Phoebus both hunted Esmeralda and loves her, and so Quasi doesn't trust him overly much.
Disabled (Mute & Deaf)- Constantly ringing the bells of Notre Dame has ruined Quasimodo's hearing.

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 5 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 10 (69)

-The "Hunchback" figure in the MIMP line is clearly meant to be Quasimodo of Victor Hugo's famous story, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, which is, among many things, an historical look at the fabled cathedral (and a means to see it restored to its formal glory- in this, Hugo was successful in shoring up nostalgia and respect for Notre Dame, and it was saved from disrepair). Quasimodo was a deformed, stupid and deaf creature- truly pathetic, but somewhat deserving of sympathy, and among many men in the story bewitched by the beautiful "Gypsy" (actually an innocent girl KIDNAPPED by Gypsies; Hugo's tale was decidedly of its time). Quasimodo barely speaks, and he and most of the men in the story are killed- Frollo, who raised him, was a legitimately pious man brought low by sin as he too lusted for the girl. Quasimodo is enchanted by Esmeralda's kindness towards him and saves her many times (including from Frollo's attempted rape), but when Frollo hangs her, he murders his former master and starves to death while cradling her corpse in the place it was dumped. Hugo himself would take part in rewriting the tale for different audiences, even giving it happier endings, showing that Disney hardly invented Disneyfying things.

-The MIMP figure is solid, but plain, given that he's wearing the plain clothing of an 1800s French peasant- there's good movement, and he's sufficiently tough-looking, though. He's one of the first foes encountered in the NES game, leaping about in the first part of Stage One.

-This build is sort of like my statline for the Disney character, but features the lower intelligence of the novel's version, making him much cheaper overall.