Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Jabberwock! The Jersey Devil! Dragon! Troll!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Aw man, someone's been putting up some super-adorbz art of Elena of Avalor with Mateo, her "Royal Wizard" in the show:

Personally, I've never really "shipped" the characters- they're all so young and completely platonic with each other. Hell, they all had to compete over who was "Elena's best friend" once!

But still- ADORBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!
Shock

Post by Shock »

I'm surprised that I knew so little of the Monster in my Pocket series. Maybe it's because MUSCLE came first and I had so many of those guys. Or maybe I had aged out of the target group by 1989. I still have quite a few of the MUSCLE figures but they'd be pretty boring to stat for the most part.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Shock wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:31 pm I'm surprised that I knew so little of the Monster in my Pocket series. Maybe it's because MUSCLE came first and I had so many of those guys. Or maybe I had aged out of the target group by 1989. I still have quite a few of the MUSCLE figures but they'd be pretty boring to stat for the most part.
That would probably be because the MUSCLE versions didn't really have any defined characters or names for the most part. The Kinnikuman characters that their figures are from had a lot of strange and nutty powers, though.
Shock

Post by Shock »

KorokoMystia wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:43 pm
Shock wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:31 pm I'm surprised that I knew so little of the Monster in my Pocket series. Maybe it's because MUSCLE came first and I had so many of those guys. Or maybe I had aged out of the target group by 1989. I still have quite a few of the MUSCLE figures but they'd be pretty boring to stat for the most part.
That would probably be because the MUSCLE versions didn't really have any defined characters or names for the most part. The Kinnikuman characters that their figures are from had a lot of strange and nutty powers, though.
Being in the pre-internet days, there were rumors of a poster with all the characters and their names but I never saw it. We didn't care and gave them our own names.
Jabroniville

Sciapod

Post by Jabroniville »

94) SCIAPOD
Origin:
Mythological Creature (Ancient Greece)
Role: Ugly Dwarf

-Another odd choice, the Sciapod is based on the monopod/skiapod of Greek Myth, being a one-footed, dwarfish creature I've never heard of before. They are mentioned as side characters in some plays of the time, and Pliny the Elder describes them as being a tribe in India. Others describe them as being from Ethiopia, and that they can gain shade from the sun by lying on their backs and creating a shadow with their giant central feet. The Chronicles of Narnia feature a tribe of them, having been punished for past foolishness.
Jabroniville

Hieracosphinx

Post by Jabroniville »

91) HIERACOSPHINX
Origin:
Mythological Creature (Ancient Egypt)
Role: Generic Mix & Match Creature
PL 8 (100)
STRENGTH
5 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 2 (+5)
Athletics 2 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Magical Lore) 4 (+6)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 6 (+9)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Well-Informed

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]
"Natural Weapons- Headbutt & Bite" Strength-Damage +2 [2]

"Cat Agility" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Lion's Mane" Features 2: +4 to Resist Choking Grapples or Neck-Bites [2]
"Natural Size" Growth 1 (Str & Sta +1, +1 Mass, +0 Intimidation, -0 Dodge/Parry, -1 Stealth) -- (8 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [3]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Claws & Teeth +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Obsession (Riddles)- They stuck it on the MIMP bio.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 11 (100)

-The Hieracopshinx is little-understood, and has none of the mythology wrapped up with it that regular Sphinxes have. They were simply named by some Greeks who saw bird-headed lions on Egyptian temples- it's as likely that these are just Egypt's versions of griffins- as they worshipped both the Lion and the Falcon, it's a pretty easy thing to see them creating, too. The MIMP figure gave this one all the riddle-loving stuff enjoyed by human-headed Sphinxes in mythology- specifically the one that guarded the Greek city of Thebes in the story of Oedipus- here, the clever hero answer her riddle of "What has one voice, yet becomes four-footed, then two-footed, and then three-footed?". On the threat of being devoured if he answered wrong, he says "a man", for they crawl on all fours at birth, walk with two legs when older, and then walk with a cane when aged. The Sphinx then killed itself, like ya do, and then Oedipus went on to presumably a life of fun and morality that broke none of the laws of nature.

-I took my D&D Hieracosphinx and made it smarter, since this one's the riddle-knower.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Hairy Boggart

Post by Jabroniville »

89) HAIRY BOGGART
Origin:
Folklore (European Middle Ages)
Role: Mischievous Creatures, Little Terrors
PL 4 (38)
STRENGTH
-1 STAMINA 0 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Deception 8 (+6)
Expertise (Housework) 5 (+4)
Intimidation 6 (+4)
Perception 3 (+2)
Sleight of Hand 4 (+4)
Stealth 6 (+6, +10 Size)

Advantages:
Close Attack 3, Favored Environment (Darkness), Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute, Extended & Accurate Scent) [5]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -4 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Transformation +2 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +4 (DC 14), Toughness +0, Fortitude +2, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Scaring People)- Boggarts are mean creatures, and delight in tormenting others.

Total: Abilities: -8 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 14 / Defenses: 9 (38)

-Another Goblin-like creature, the Boggart was a household goblin/fairy who was always up to no good. They also inhabited fields, marshes and other features, and had alternate names like bogey, bogun and bugbear. Usually they were just mischievous and "caused things to disappear, milke to sour, and dogs to go lame", but outdoor Boggarts were liable to abduct children. Placing a horseshoe on your door, or a pile of salt at the entrance to your room, is enough to keep them away. In Northern England, it was believed that you should never name a Boggart, for then it would be impossible to reason with. Various things across England are named for Boggarts, with no two places having precisely the same appearance for them. They appear both in Narnia and Rowling's work, again as totally different things.

-The MIMP Boggart was apparently going to be of a tall, splindly goblinoid creature, with some being good and others evil.
Jabroniville

Genie

Post by Jabroniville »

87) GENIE
Origin:
Folklore (Pre-Islamic Middle East)
Role: Wish Granters, Otherworldly Beings, Wild Cards
PL 7 (132)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 4 (+7)
Expertise (History) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 4 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Languages 2 (Several)

Powers:
Flight 3 (16 mph) [6]
Variable (Any Effect) 8 (Flaws: Limited to the Wish of Another, Limited to 1-3 Wishes Per Person) [40]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (Bound)- Genies are often bound to objects by mystical means- typically, these are lamps.
Vulnerable (Iron)- Things made of iron may easily trap or injure Genies.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 10 (132)

-"Genie" is the Anglicization of the term "Jinn" or "Djinn", given to mystical beings in Arabic folklore. Neither evil nor good, the creatures were shifted into Islamic folklore as well (opinions differ on whether or not believe in Jinn is a must for Muslims, though the Quran mentions them as a matter of fact). They are seen as a separate, mortal species, able to live or die, and be prescribed to Heaven or Hell based on their deeds, much as humans may, but they are supernatural beings. Many mental illnesses in the region were said to be the result of Jinn possession, and their "Sleep Paralysis Myth" is of a Jinn attack, similar to how other cultures put in Hags or Oni. The most famous use of Genies is in the Aladdin story, in which there are actually two- Hollywood (particularly Disney) typically shrinks these into one for the sake of storytelling. Other tales within the One Thousand and One Nights story feature them as well.

-The art of the MIMP version indicates it's a ponytailed, goblin-esque creature, said to be of many possible dispositions.

-Here, the Genie is modified from my build of the D&D version, featuring the Wish-Granting powers of the Djinn and greater Mental Abilities.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Djinn Shapeshifter

Post by Jabroniville »

86) DJINN SHAPESHIFTER
Origin:
Folklore (Pre-Islamic Middle East)
Role: Otherworldly Beings, Wild Cards
PL 8 (154)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (History) 4 (+5)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Advantages:
Languages 2 (Several)

Powers:
Flight 3 (16 mph) [6]
Shapeshift 5 [40]
Morph 4 (Any Shape) [20]
Concealment 2 (Vision) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Animal Forms +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +5 (+6 Animal Forms), Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (Bound)- Genies are often bound to objects by mystical means- typically, these are lamps.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 70 / Defenses: 9 (154)

-The Djinn Shapeshifter curiously appears one number before the Genie, and takes up the other half of the "Jinn" myth- otherworldly, powerful, murderous creatures that could change their shape and loved to consume human beings. These Jinn were associated with dogs and serpents, wind and sandstorms, and were often invisible.
Jabroniville

Grendel

Post by Jabroniville »

88) GRENDEL
Origin:
Fictional Character (Beowulf, 700-1000 AD)
Role: Evil Humanoid
PL 8 (95)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+11)
Expertise (Survival) 7 (+8)
Intimidation 13 (+11)
Perception 7 (+8)
Stealth 7 (+7)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Close Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute, Extended & Accurate Scent) [5]
"Impenetrable Hide" Impervious Toughness 7 [7]

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +6

Complications:
Hatred (Music)- Grendel despises music, and comes every time he hears it to kill the inhabitants of a mead-hall.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 9 (95)

-Grendel is the weakest of the three villains fought in the legendary Anglo-Saxon poem Beowulf, appearing as a fearsome creature who terrifies everyone but the titular hero. Grendel is said to be a descendant of Cain, but his appearance is not overly described in the poem, leading to people to imagine a monster, giant, or any other sort of being. He kills and eats the people who dine and sing within a mead-hall until Beowulf hears of this and comes to slay the creature. Grendel attacks first, eating the first of Beowulf's warriors, but the second intended victim is the legend himself- Beowful tears off Grendel's arm, sending the creature fleeing. Mortally wounded, he dies in his marsh-den- a subsequent battle is against Grendel's Mother, herself deadly, and Beowulf kills her with his sword.

-Grendel was shown to be a green-skinned monster in the MIMP card art, but no figure was ever produced. I went with a PL 8 monster- hard to hurt, even with weapons of steel, but Beowulf fatally wounds him while unarmed.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Every time I see Grendel, I always flash back to an old cartoon called Mighty Max, where the titular Max recruited several other heroes from mythology and folklore to lead an assault against the series big bad, Skullmaster. Beowulf was one of their number. During the big fight, Max gets threatened by Warmonger, Skullmaster's second in command, who's this buff, hulking brute monster who is easily three times bigger than Max. Well, Beowulf shows up, grabs Warmonger by the arm and slams him into a wall. Beowulf gives Max a few words of advice, then holds Warmonger off as Max goes to continue the mission.

Beowulf turns back to Warmonger, still holding the guy's arm, and grins. "Silly fellow. Let me show you a trick I once taught a guy named Grendel." The camera pans away and you just hear Warmonger start screaming.

It's extra funny because Beowulf was, of course, voiced by Jim Cummings.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Hodag

Post by Jabroniville »

94) HODAG
Origin:
Tall Tale/Cryptid (American Folklore, 1800s Sightings)
Role: Fearsome Critter, Mix & Match Critter

-A Hodag is part of lumberjack folklore- one of many "fearsome critters" taking part in their tall tales- it's mentioned in several Paul Bunyan stories. It boasted "the head of a frog, the grinning face of a giant elephant, thick short legs set off by huge claws, the back of a dinosaur, and a long tail with spears at the end", and was reported seen by a notorious prankster, setting off a brief fad as it was claimed to have been killed. The man claimed to have captured another one in 1896, sending people scurrying with a puppet he'd placed at the local county fair, but when the Smithsonian Institute came to investigate, he admitted the hoax.

-With all this centered around Rhinelander, Wisconsin, the creature soon became treated as an ironic "Mascot", lending its name to various businesses, organiziations, festivals, and team mascots. Their Chamber of Commerce features a large fiberglass Hodag. A few have popped up in things like Scooby Doo! and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Their origin is as follows:
The word hodag, according to the historian Kurt Kortenhof, originated as lumberjack slang for a grub hoe (a kind of heavy-duty hoe) or maddox (a kind of flat-faced pick ax). But eventually the hodag had been transformed into a mythological monster that arose from cremated remains of oxen. Oxen were commonly used as work animals in timber camps, and they had demanding lives. "Not only were these beasts of burden assigned the most difficult tasks of the trade," one newsman wrote, but they also "endured all the profanity the crass lumberjacks could dish out." Because the oxen had absorbed the worst profanity during the lives, the demons that sprang from them had "vile and vengeful" souls.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Sciapod

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:48 pm Image

94) SCIAPOD
Origin:
Mythological Creature (Ancient Greece)
Role: Ugly Dwarf
Man, I had about 20 horrible jokes go through my head when I saw this pic. I mean, seriously... :shock:

And I thought all the puns about having a Monster in my Pocket were blatant enough but this guy in birthing position...wow...
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah their pics are pretty hilarious. Looks like he’s presenting, lol. It’s supposed to be him using his foot for shade, but wow XD.
Jabroniville

The Headless Man

Post by Jabroniville »

90) THE HEADLESS MAN
Origin:
Folklore (Middle Ages Europe)
Role: Mysterious Figure
PL 6 (87)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Knight) 9 (+9)
Intimidation 8 (+10)
Perception 5 (+7)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Unarmed), Minion 4 (Red-Eyed Horse), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
Concealment 2 (Visuals) [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +4, Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Scaring People)

Total: Abilities: 44 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 12 (87)

-The Headless Horseman is by far most famous for The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, which takes advantage of the myths to be told as a "tall tale" by the town's Alpha Male, Brom Bones, in order to frighten Ichabod Crane away from the beautiful daughter of the town's richest man. The original myths go back to the Middle Ages, and feature a man either carrying his head, or missing it altogether. The Irish Dullahan is related to these, as is the titular character in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Other novels of the 1800s use a similar character, but now Washington Irving's version is the most well-known.

-The MIMP figure was supposed to be a more generic, dismounted figure, usually a spook who frightened people and then disappeared.