Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Falconoid

Post by Jabroniville »

Wayne Breaux only really gives you good art in two situations- Glitter Boys and Non-Standard Animal People.

FALCONOID R.C.C.: ST +2, STA +2, AGI +2, INT +2, AWA +1, PRE +1, Flight 11 (Limited to Uncontrolled After Rank 8), Force Field 7, Psi-Blast 9 (Accurate, Alt- Will Damage on 4 Ranks), Enhanced Fighting (Airborne), "Psionics" (6 Powers from Physical & Sensitive) [70 + Psionics]

-Falconoids were created to be mighty warriors, alongside the Flying Tigers from Rifts South America- One. These are lightly-armored flying mutants, meant to be the Achilles Republic's air force, using top-tier flying speeds and a reasonable (but low-tier) Psi-Blast that does Will Damage to anything affected (S.D.C. damage to pilots & armor-wearers in Rifts, but with a save vs. Psionics- it's a reasonable facsimile, I think).
Jabroniville

Equinoid

Post by Jabroniville »

See, you have a different artist work on the other Mutant and it looks like it's from a whole different thing than the others

EQUINOID R.C.C. (Psi-Taur): ST +4, STA +4, AGI +2, AWA +2, Kick +6 (Source- Force Field), Speed 6 (AE: Flight 6- Unreliable), Force Field 4, Psi-Bow Blast 11 (Accurate), "Psionics" (6 Powers from Physical & Sensitive) [61 + Psionics]

-The "Psi-Taurs" were created due to the illegal experiment of one Achilles researcher, who broke the rules and experimented upon human beings. He was killed when discovered, but one of his experiments turned out well- the Equinoids, which were lightly-furred, mohawked Centaur-like people with great psionics. They can run like a horse, do lots of damage compared to other Mutants of the Achilles Republic, shoot as well as most guns, and more, though their I.S.P. requirements are such that many/most of these weapons will run out in a hurry (a 1st-level character will likely run out of stuff after 7-ish uses of any given power). This is a bit tricky to stat, as Palladium's system and M&M's don't mix very well with "You have X number of points available today" kinds of things.
Jabroniville

Serpentoid

Post by Jabroniville »

SERPENTOID R.C.C.: ST +3, STA +2, AGI +1, INT +1, AWA +2, PRE +1, Strength-Damage +3 (w/ Force Field Active)Force Field 7, "Fear Aura" Affliction 5 (Will; Entranced/Compelled/Controlled, Burst, Reaction +3, Limited to Fear, Limited Duration), "Psychic Venom" Weaken Stamina 9 (Progressive), AE: "Entrancing Gaze" Affliction 8 (Will; Entranced/Stunned/Paralyzed, Vision-Based Perception-Ranged, Limited to While Not Moving, Breaks When Attacked), "Psionics" (Mind-Block Auto-Defense, Hypnotic Suggestion, 6 Powers from Healing, Sensitive or Physical) [72 + Psionics]

-Serpentoids are the only Achilles race that doesn't get any pictures, but are supposedly cobra-headed humanoids with snake tails. They are said to have adopted an unfortunate amount of the alien, reptilian mindset- they can commit the most heinous murders while feeling no compassion or remorse. Most learn to obey the rules, but this lack of morality makes them deadly enemies. The Force Field of Serpentoids is weird- the only one of these groups where it's "Mental Endurance x5 M.D.C.".
JDRook

Re: Serpentoid

Post by JDRook »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:08 pm SERPENTOID R.C.C.:
-Serpentoids are the only Achilles race that doesn't get any pictures, but are supposedly cobra-headed humanoids with snake tails.
Nuts! I was literally just looking for some decent art of something like this for a build.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:25 pm EQUINOID R.C.C. (Psi-Taur):
. . . though their I.S.P. requirements are such that many/most of these weapons will run out in a hurry (a 1st-level character will likely run out of stuff after 7-ish uses of any given power). This is a bit tricky to stat, as Palladium's system and M&M's don't mix very well with "You have X number of points available today" kinds of things.
I fudged together one possible system here that tracks magic and psionic energies in a way analogous to Toughness. It's not very elegant, but I think it might work reasonably well if you wanted to go to the trouble to transfer that element over.
Woodclaw

Re: Serpentoid

Post by Woodclaw »

JDRook wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:02 am
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:08 pm SERPENTOID R.C.C.:
-Serpentoids are the only Achilles race that doesn't get any pictures, but are supposedly cobra-headed humanoids with snake tails.
Nuts! I was literally just looking for some decent art of something like this for a build.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:25 pm
Is this an acceptable replacement?

"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Achilles Neo-Human

Post by Jabroniville »

Aaaaaaaaand one of the races just traces a glam rock album cover.

ACHILLES NEO-HUMAN R.C.C.: ST +3, STA +3, AGI +2, INT +2, AWA +2, PRE +2, Immunity (Aging), "Supernatural Transformation" ST +2 & Protection 6 (Quirks: Reduces Psionic Potential -2), "Mind Wave" Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Stunned/Paralyzed- Perception-Ranged), AE: "Touch of Healing" Healing 8 (Restorative), AE: "Touch of Death" Weaken Stamina 8 & Affliction (Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) 8, AE: "Hyper Telekinesis" Move Object 6 (Unreliable), TK Flight 6, "Psionics" (3 powers from each of the 4 categories) [70 + Psionics]

-The Neo-Humans are another Carellian aspect- "Humans But Better"... times fifty. These guys are INSANE- Mind Melter-level psionics with M.D.C. bodies, they are the product of the genetic experimentation that founded the Achilles Republic, some of the "Neo-Abels" stayed with the Mutant Animals to found the nation, while the "Neo-Cains" went away on their own, feeling contempt for their inferiors.

-Neo-Humans have amazing stats naturally, and can engage a "Supernatural Transformation" almost endlessly (running out 2 I.S.P. at a time), becoming M.D.C. creatures.
Jabroniville

Glitter Boy #7

Post by Jabroniville »

GLITTER BOY O.C.C.
Role:
The First Game-Breaker, Ultimate Mechs
PL 12 (188)
STRENGTH
2/8 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Soldier) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 3 (+5, +6 Suit)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 6 (+8)
Treatment 2 (+4)
Vehicles 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Assorted Gear), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Glitter Boy Number 7 Power Armor" (Flaws: Removable) [60]
Growth 2 (Str & Toughness +2, +2 Mass, +1 Intimidation, -1 Dodge/Parry, -2 Stealth) -- (10 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) (5)
Enhanced Strength 4 (8)
Protection 12 (Extras: Impervious 13) (25)
Immunity 7 (Hot, Cold, Radiation, Pressure, Vacuum, Suffocation 2) (7)
"Laser Resistant" Immunity 10 (Laser Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) (5)
Senses 8 (Infravision, UV Vision, Extended Vision 2, Distance Sense, "Radar"- Ranged Radius Radio Sense) (8)
Speed 5 (60 mph) (5) -- (6)
  • AE: Leaping 3 (60 feet) (3)
Features 1: Food Compartments (1)
Immunity 4 (Visual & Audio Dazzles) (4)
Stealth -4 (-2)

"Hip Lasers" Blast 10 (20)
-- (87 points)

"Rail Gun Gatling" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Features: Limited to ST 5+) [28]
"Rail Gun" Blast 15 (Feats: Improved Critical, Ranged) (Extras: Penetrating 12) (Quirks: Requires Planting in the Ground) (44 points)

"Variable Frequency Gun" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Features: Limited to ST 5+) [26]
Blast 14 (Feats: Improved Critical, Ranged 2) (Extras: Penetrating 10) (41 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Glitter Boy Punch +7 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Boom Gun +9 (+15 Ranged Damage, DC 30)
Variable Frequency Gun +9 (+14 Ranged Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (+8 Armor, DC 18), Parry +8 (+7 Armor, DC 17), Toughness +2 (+16 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +7

Complications:
Motivation (Adventure)

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 114 / Defenses: 15 (188)

-Yes, OF COURSE there's a Glitter Boy in this book. This one seems to match the Free Quebec "Glitter Girl" design, but is merely a more slender, Vince Martin-drawn version. This gives it a whole different "look", packing hip-guns and all sorts of other things. The Martinian traits are so strong that it scarcely resembles the Glitter Boys at all, sporting his trademark "excessive bits & weapon holes" designs.
Jabroniville

South America 2- Gear

Post by Jabroniville »

SOUTH AMERICA 2 GEAR:
* The Gear section is actually rather diminished in this book compared to others.

GUNS & STUFF:
-There's your usual variety of tube-shaped guns out there. Most are about Blast 9. The Nazcans have some, despite usually being non-tech. Their "Rocket Rifle" does Blast 11. Arkhon gear goes from Blast 9-12, and their Tri-Beam Sword does +10 damage. Megaversal Legions guns are, as I said, RIDICULOUS, hitting with Rail Gun-level damage owing to the creatures who had enslaved them having the best gear ever- baseline guns with Blast 13. Plasma Rifles & Hand Cannons are Blast 14. Achilles Republic gear is usually Blast 11, while New Babylon is packing Blast 14. Cordoba/Santiago also has a long rifle with Blast 14. New Babylon also has Psi-Sword enhancers that boost damage by a bit, making all Psionic classes just a little more competitive to Carella's later gear.

VEHICLES:
-There's assorted tanks & stuff in this book, but not much. The Empire of the Sun has a +11 Toughness Tank. The Arkhons have some Toughness +13-15 Hover-Tanks and a +13 Toughness Fighter Jet thing. The Megaversal Legion has a +14 Toughness version of the Abrams Tank, and a helicopter (no art given) with +12 Toughness. Cordoba & Santiago have some generic, pretty weak tanks that would lose to even a single SAMAS.

ARMOR:
"Gilded Body Armor" Toughness +8.
-The armor of elite assault troops and officers in the Nazcan army.

"Sinchi Body Armor" Toughness +7.
-Rank & file Nazcan armor. Barely different in M&M terms, so I dropped it a single rank.

"Nazca Power Armor" ST 11, Toughness +10-15 (when Energized), Speed 5, Leaping 2, Rocket Rifle +14, Machine Gun +13 (Multiattack), Missiles, V-Blades +2.
-A shockingly-different suit of Martin-designed armor looks more like a death samurai covered in overlapping panels, and is actually powered by the Magic of the Nazcan Gods! The suit is near-Glitter Boy tough, adds a ton of power, and has magical "Vibro-Blade"-esque things in its forearms that do 7D6 M.D.C.!

"Armor of the Sun" ST 12, Toughness +10-15 (dependent on Will Save), Close Attack +2, Flight 7, Speed 6, Flame Aura 11 (Reach), Flame Blast 14, See Invisible, Sense Magic, Environmental Suit, Dazzle Visuals 8 (Burst Area).
-The Armor of the Sun is actually a mystical "golem" of sorts, worn like a suit of Power Armor, with its stats dependent on the user's own Mental Endurance (kind of like a Will Save). This can give it top-tier durability (maxing out at 600 M.D.C.), and a ludicrously powerful Aura.

"Atahualpa Combat Suit" ST 9, Toughness +11, Rifle +13 (Multiattack), Missiles.
-A more basic suit of Power Armor.

"Solar Combat Armor" ST 11, Toughness +12, Flight 8, Speed 5, Solar Aura 10, Plasma Projectors 14, Rail Gun & Eye Lasers 13 (Multiattack).
-An extremely powerful suit form New Babylon, with another powerful Aura and super-tough Blasts. I remember this one because my friend Paul suggested that a player who wanted to play a Burster (a sub-optimal Psionic class) could wear that to be able to hang with the rest of our team.

"Arkhon Body Armor" Toughness +9.
-The basic Arkhon gear.

"Stormwind Assault Exoskeleton" ST 9, Protection 10, Flight 6, Speed 5, Tri-Beam +11.
-This gear is used by 1/3 of the Arkhon forces, and isn't overly powerful, but given the vast flight speeds and reasonable durability, it makes them quite dangerous en masse.

"Ghost Wasp Aerial Power Armor" ST 11, Toughness +13, Flight 8, Speed 5, Flechette Gun & Tri-Beam +14 (Multiattack), "Stealth System" Concealment (Visuals- Blending, Technology).
-More powerful, stealthy, faster armor- better in every way, and authentic Arkhon Power Armor.

"Death Cyclops Assault Suit" ST 10, Toughness +14, Flying 7, Speed 5, Tri-Beam Cannons +14 (Multiattack), Missiles, +3 Vibro-Field Punches.

"Great Cyclops Assault Robot" ST 13, Toughness +16, Flight 7, Speed 5, Tri-Beam Cannons & Other Gear +14 (Multiattack), Searchlight, Smokescreen, 35 feet tall.

"Mark I Armor" Toughness +9.
-Megaversal Legion troopers have a 90 M.D.C. suit as basic gear.

"Mark II Armor" Toughness +10.
-Megaversal armor for the Ojahee troopers.

"Counterstrike Power Armor" ST 10, Toughness +15, Flight 8, I-Beam Gun & Other Gear +15 (Multiattack).
-The only Power Armor given to the Megaversal troops, it's basically "SAMAS Armor + More", with the most ludicrously-similar gear to the designs Martin would use for the CS forces as of Coalition War Campaign. Like, someone just looked at this thing and went "Hey, that's cool! We should be using that for something more important!"

"Gaucho/Battle Infantry/Fatigues Armor" Toughness +8.
-Various human armors, all about equivalent in M&M terms. Given boring Breaux designs.

"Blood Rider Claw Armor" Toughness +8.
-This Martin-designed suit at least looks unique- clawed designs on all-black, for the standard armor. Less of a prowl penalty than normal.

"Duelist Armor" Toughness +8.
-New Babylon's Duelists wear this- as they are M.D.C. beings, this boosts them a bit higher than +8. No prowl penalty, because Carella loves overpowered gear even at lower levels.

"Mecha-Lizard Power Armor" ST 10, Toughness +12, Speed 5, Multi-Weapon +14, Wide Beam +10 (Cone Area), Missiles.
-The coolest-looking suit in the book, it's like someone took Martin aside and went "Hey, so, uh, y'know how Wayne Breaux drew that Dinosaur Power Armor in the last South America book? Can you make that, but, like, GOOD?" So it's got all the "Martin Bits"- flowing lines, skeletal bits, spikes out the yin-yang, and interesting and weird connecting pieces, and looks like a dangerous, metal raptor. It's said to be inspired by the Blood Lizards, whom the Silver River Republics fear but also admire- those who fail the Blood Rider tests love to ride in these instead.

"Toro Minotaur Power Armor" ST 11, Toughness +14, Speed 5, Leaping 1, Ion Blasters +13, Missiles, Energy Axe +2.
-The common suit of Santiago, sadly getting Breaux art so it looks like this awkward, stiff, tall dude with a funny cow-head.

"Mastodon Combat Robot" ST 12, Toughness +17, Speed 5, Boom Gun +15 (Improved Critical, Ranged 2, Penetrating 12), Turrets +13, "Death Mirrors Ears" Burst Area Dazzle 8, Morning Star Trunk +2, Missiles, 35 feet tall.
-Okay this is just freaking awesome- Martin has designed all his usual tricks onto a MASTODON'S frame, giving us this 40-foot-long Robot Armor with tons of attacks, and even a goddamn BOOM GUN on top of it! This makes them one of the top-tier suits in the game, especially as their raw Toughness surpasses that of a Glitter Boy. One of the few suits that could take out a GB or two handily, and it's shoved so far back in here that I only just discovered it.

"Galapogos Submersible Robot" ST 13, Toughness +18, Flight 6, Speed 5, Laser Cannons +15, Turrets +13, Missiles, 35 feet tall.
-An even more durable suit, this one has slightly less-fantastic weapons.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Ultra-Crazy! Blood Riders! Larhold Barbarians!)

Post by Jabroniville »

And that does it for Rifts South America 2! The book is notable for me in that it reflects a lot of CJ Carella's best & worst traits- great ideas abound (a nation of Mutants! A nation of advanced aliens with a weird caste-based culture! A nation of freedmen with humans AND alien buddies!), there's a ton of unique concepts, and plenty of "I want to play that" features (Blood Riders! Megaversal Legion! Whoever pilots the Mammoth Mech!), but also insanely overpowered characters ("Our Psi-Swords are better than EVERYBODY'S!"), overpowered weapons ("Our regular soldiers are armed with Rail Gun equivalents because nobody checked CJ's writing before it was time to go to print!"), and more.

As it stands, I would call this one of the best books in the line- less humorously insane things like Rifts Japan, and nothing here means SQUAT to the overall line (I think Kevin S spitefully ignored all of South America as of 1997, despite what I assume is some popularity here), but it's both memorable and well-drawn. Much better than South America 1, which suffers from too much bad art (Breaux AND Kevin S on art), too much focusing on the dopey cat-people, and interesting things like the Amazons and random nations with no governing concepts. This thing actually has some of Vince Martin's best Rifts art, so it's too bad that it got used on a book that didn't "matter" much.

Next up... the one I didn't really WANT to do, but find somewhat necessary- Rifts World Book 16: Federation of Magic!
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Glitter Boy #7

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:32 am Image

GLITTER BOY O.C.C.
Role:
The First Game-Breaker, Ultimate Mechs
PL 12 (188)

-Yes, OF COURSE there's a Glitter Boy in this book. This one seems to match the Free Quebec "Glitter Girl" design, but is merely a more slender, Vince Martin-drawn version. This gives it a whole different "look", packing hip-guns and all sorts of other things. The Martinian traits are so strong that it scarcely resembles the Glitter Boys at all, sporting his trademark "excessive bits & weapon holes" designs.
Gotta say that even in a book full of Vince Martin's art, that is the most Vince Martin-y take on a Glitter Boy ever. All those extra holes and the weird weapon designs. The helmet doesn't even match the GB's. But I'll give it credit, it does get around some of the issues the standard GB has by actually having other weapon systems besides the Boom Gun. Making them hip mounted is actually fairly clever, as it leaves the hands free to work the Boom Gun.

One thing I'd probably do with Rifts is change the Glitter Boy's armor from "half-damage vs lasers" to "half-damage vs energy weapons". Lasers aren't even really that prolific a weapon in Rifts, it's just one of many flavors along with Particle Beams, Energy Weapons, Kinetic Weapons, Magic Weapons, Phase Weapons, Psychic Weapons, etc.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: South America 2- Gear

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:11 am

"Nazca Power Armor" ST 11, Toughness +10-15 (when Energized), Speed 5, Leaping 2, Rocket Rifle +14, Machine Gun +13 (Multiattack), Missiles, V-Blades +2.
-A shockingly-different suit of Martin-designed armor looks more like a death samurai covered in overlapping panels, and is actually powered by the Magic of the Nazcan Gods! The suit is near-Glitter Boy tough, adds a ton of power, and has magical "Vibro-Blade"-esque things in its forearms that do 7D6 M.D.C.!
Nice to see Martin mix up the design aesthetics. If he'd been able to tweak things a little he looks like he could have given every culture or armor it's own flavor.

"Solar Combat Armor" ST 11, Toughness +12, Flight 8, Speed 5, Solar Aura 10, Plasma Projectors 14, Rail Gun & Eye Lasers 13 (Multiattack).
-An extremely powerful suit form New Babylon, with another powerful Aura and super-tough Blasts. I remember this one because my friend Paul suggested that a player who wanted to play a Burster (a sub-optimal Psionic class) could wear that to be able to hang with the rest of our team.
I remember Batgirl III liked that picture so much she asked me to turn it into a Cosmo-Knight image. It came out pretty good, I thought. She liked it anyway.

"Great Cyclops Assault Robot" ST 13, Toughness +16, Flight 7, Speed 5, Tri-Beam Cannons & Other Gear +14 (Multiattack), Searchlight, Smokescreen, 35 feet tall.
My God but that looks stupid. It looks like it's one stiff breeze away from falling on its ass.

"Mecha-Lizard Power Armor" ST 10, Toughness +12, Speed 5, Multi-Weapon +14, Wide Beam +10 (Cone Area), Missiles.
-The coolest-looking suit in the book, it's like someone took Martin aside and went "Hey, so, uh, y'know how Wayne Breaux drew that Dinosaur Power Armor in the last South America book? Can you make that, but, like, GOOD?" So it's got all the "Martin Bits"- flowing lines, skeletal bits, spikes out the yin-yang, and interesting and weird connecting pieces, and looks like a dangerous, metal raptor. It's said to be inspired by the Blood Lizards, whom the Silver River Republics fear but also admire- those who fail the Blood Rider tests love to ride in these instead.

"Mastodon Combat Robot" ST 12, Toughness +17, Speed 5, Boom Gun +15 (Improved Critical, Ranged 2, Penetrating 12), Turrets +13, "Death Mirrors Ears" Burst Area Dazzle 8, Morning Star Trunk +2, Missiles, 35 feet tall.
-Okay this is just freaking awesome- Martin has designed all his usual tricks onto a MASTODON'S frame, giving us this 40-foot-long Robot Armor with tons of attacks, and even a goddamn BOOM GUN on top of it! This makes them one of the top-tier suits in the game, especially as their raw Toughness surpasses that of a Glitter Boy. One of the few suits that could take out a GB or two handily, and it's shoved so far back in here that I only just discovered it.
These might be two of the Rift-iest things in the entire line, and shows that Carella and Martin really "got" Rifts in ways others didn't.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:29 am Next up... the one I didn't really WANT to do, but find somewhat necessary- Rifts World Book 16: Federation of Magic!
AKA, where Jab has to translate a ton of spells to M&M.

catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

that and there a metric crapton of demonic and mage occ nonsense in it
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Sidious

Re: South America 2- Gear

Post by Sidious »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:11 am Image
Looks a bit like a Kreegor design. Never noticed it before.

ooo FoM next.
And may Zod have mercy on your soul.
Jabroniville

Re: Rifts South America 2

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote:My God but that looks stupid. It looks like it's one stiff breeze away from falling on its ass.
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:56 am Image
Aaaaaaaaaaaand that's probably why the cover cuts it off like so.