Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Yashamaru! Darli Dagger! Shizuka! Valis!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

I really feel like the SNES game and its remake are phenomenally underrated games. The soundtrack is also really good. The final boss fight with Banglar is pretty unique too: He doesn't have any combat ability of his own, so he just hides in his machine and sends out tons of minions while shooting lasers at you. You can't hurt him directly though, either, as you have to throw the enemies at the glass capsule shielding him to break it and defeat him.
Jabroniville

Kunoichi

Post by Jabroniville »

KUNOICHI
Role:
Android Ninja, The Fast One, The Chick
PL 8 (150)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA -- AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+14)
Athletics 12 (+14)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Ninja) 8 (+10)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Equipment 2 (Kunai +2, Daggers +1- Split, Shurikens- Blast 3), Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Kunai) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Quick Draw, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Android"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 3 [3]

"Super Attack" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Tiring) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Paired Daggers +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Kunai +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Shuriken +11 (+3 Ranged Damage, DC 18)
Super Attack +8 Area (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:
Enemy (President Banglar)
Power Loss (Shuriken, Super Attack)- Both require ammunition; the first needs physical ammo, and the second a "Gauge" that builds up over time.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 41 / Defenses: 13 (150)

-Kunoichi (literally a name for female ninjas) is a speedier character using paired daggers as weapons. Much faster than Ninja, she is also quite athletic and acrobatic, throwing down blazing combos with her short daggers (ending with a kunai- a larger blade). She can pick up stuff like Ninja, but is much slower with the items.
Jabroniville

Kamaitachi

Post by Jabroniville »

KAMAITACHI
Role:
Android Ninja, Inhuman Robot
PL 8 (150)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA -- AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+13)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 6 (+10)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Equipment 2 (Shurikens- Blast 3), Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Kunai) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Android"
Protection 3 [3]

"Kusarigama Super Attack" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Tiring) (8) -- [9]
  • AE: "Sickle Arms" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split, Reach) (4)
Offense:
Sickles +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:

Complications:
Power Loss (Shuriken, Super Attack)- Both require ammunition; the first needs physical ammo, and the second a "Gauge" that builds up over time.

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 13 (150)

-The Super NES Ninja Warriors game introduces Kamaitachi- "weasel sickle", named for a folkloric creature that was known to attack in threes. One would trip the victim, another would slash them, and a third would heal the wound, leaving the killers' methods hidden. Looking more inhuman than his fellows, he has odd sickles attached to his arms, and fights using the fast style of Kunoichi. His Super Attack is somewhat different, being a Kusarigama-like attack that comes out in a straight line.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

because dinosaurs weren't terrifying enough apparently theres a new breed of raptor knowns as carcharodontosaurs, which literally translates to "shark-toothed lizards."

yeah Natures like that :shock:
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

catsi563 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:47 pm because dinosaurs weren't terrifying enough apparently theres a new breed of raptor knowns as carcharodontosaurs, which literally translates to "shark-toothed lizards."

yeah Natures like that :shock:
That’s a pretty odd nomenclature given the size of the creatures- Charcharodontosaurus, which I’ve statted, was larger than Tyrannosaurus. But now they’re calling them raptors? They don’t even have the distinctive foot claws!
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

3.5 tons and about as long as a bus apparently.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Yaksha

Post by Jabroniville »

YAKSHA
Role:
Android Ninja, Tech-Fighter
PL 8 (152)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA -- AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+13)
Athletics 10 (+12)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)
Stealth 8 (+13)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Equipment 2 (Shurikens- Blast 3), Evasion, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Kunai) 2, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Android"
Protection 3 [3]

"Extendable Arms"
Elongation 2 (Flaws: Limited to Arms) [1]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Super Attack" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Tiring) (8) -- [9]
  • AE: "Extendable Arms" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Split, Reach 4) (7)
Offense:
Arms +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 52 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 19 / Powers: 44 / Defenses: 13 (152)

-The 2019 remaster Ninja Warriors Once Again introduces Yaksha, a tiny, chesty android designed for "espionage", due to her elongating arms that allow her to move about the stage rapidly, and strike at enemies from afar, in unpredictable ways.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Something else of note is that Ninja Warriors Again (and Once Again) were made by Natsume, who also made Wild Guns (it's most noticable because of Natsume's distinctive soundfonts on all the SNES games they make)
Jabroniville

Raiden

Post by Jabroniville »

RAIDEN
Role:
Android Ninja, Giant Fighter
PL 8 (123)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+10)
Deception 2 (+4)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 7 (+9, +11 Size)
Perception 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Shurikens- Blast 3), Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6, Takedown 2

Powers:
"Android"
Protection 4 (Total 8) [4]

Growth 4 (Str & Toughness +4, +4 Mass, +2 Intimidation, -2 Dodge/Parry, -4 Stealth) -- (12 feet) (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
"Super Attack" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Line) (Flaws: Tiring) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude --, Will +7

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 26 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 16 (123)

-Incredibly, Raiden is a THIRTEEN-FOOT-TALL GIANT ROBOT, introduced in Ninja Warriors Once Again for the 2019 remake. Towering over even Ninja, Raiden (named for the Japanese Thunder God, Raijin) slowly stomps about each stage, throwing out tremendous unarmed damage, reshuffling the "tiers" of the characters. Humorously, because of the way video game design works, the "Mighty Glacier" character, slow and easy to hit, is a balanced +8/+8 guy in M&M terms, because that's pretty baseline for a superhero's statline.
Jabroniville

Clone High

Post by Jabroniville »

The theme song.

CLONE HIGH:
-So way back in... Jesus, July 2009, I did a short set of builds for a little show called Clone High, which had come out in 2002 and died a very quick death after a single season. The show is probably best known today for the controversy over having a clone of Gandhi in it, and for being created by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, whose careers have now exploded into great successes- their future work includes The Lego Movie, 21 Jump Street, Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, and more. The show was produced by Bill Lawrence of Scrubs fame, which is partially why the show features so many Scrubs actors as well- Christa Miller (Lawrence's wife, in case you wanted to know why she was all over the place as a character actress even into her 40s- on Lawrence-produced shows like Cougartown), Nicole "Shego" Sullivan, and more.

The show is about a high school full of clones of famous historical figures- created by a "Secret Board of Shadowy Figures" for possibly dark purposes, but run by the vacuous, insane Principal Scudworth, who instead wants the clones to be part of an asinine theme park "Cloney Island". The purpose of the clones is almost always glossed over, save a running gag with the Principal constantly trying to hide his ambitions from the Shadowy Figures- the REAL meat of the show is the interactions of the main five characters- Abe, Joan, Gandhi, Cleopatra & J.F.K. Abe was your "Everyday Guy", Gandhi was his wacky, weird loser friend, J.F.K. was the popular man-whore jock, Cleo was the "vapid slut" after Abe, and Joan was Abe's long-suffering female friend, mournfully fawning over him one second while being a Deadpan Snarker the next (Nicole Sullivan as a snarker? WEIRD CHOICE). The show heavily satirizes the then-common Teen Dramas filling the airwaves, especially Dawson's Creek- every single episode teaser announced it as "A VERY SPECIAL EPISODE of Clone High!", promising all sorts of drama.

One of the best episodes parodies the Rock Operas of The Who and other bands, with a self-important episode about kids smoking raisins to get "high", starting a giant war between the kids and their authority figures. Jack Black's song The Pusher was a real highlight. Gandhi going on a quest to "thrice lay" the magical unicorn in her princess form was great, too. Another fun bit was Luke Perry being introduced as "Poncie" (Ponce de Leon as a Fonzie-like cool kid), only to be swiftly killed, as a parody of "a cast member DIES!" episodes of teen dramas- always minor characters, these were always done as big excuses to show all the kids mourning a friend. And of course it was this guy we'd never heard of, nor seen before. His argument with J.F.K. was AMAZING, with them getting into a fight over nothing, with their mouths getting increasingly full as they stress-eat ("Calm down, man!" "I AM CALLLLMMMMM!!").

The show suffered from low ratings, and critics were divided- then when people in India were outraged over depictions of Mahatma Gandhi in a Maxim magazine comedy article, they went searching the internet, and found THIS- a show parodying their spiritual leader as an immature, snide, partying doofus. So they FREAKED, and it helped the show get quickly cancelled. Endless repeats (especially in Canada) would turn the show into a bit of a cult classic, but nothing's ever come of it, despite the creators now being respected figures in the fields of comedy and animation.

All in all, I really liked what episodes there were, with some (paticularly the Rock Opera one) being infinitely rewatchable. There's still some bad filler (the "O-Town's Ashley Angel" episode is painful to watch for several reasons), but the characters were funny, the character design & art style were unique, and there was some classic immature humor. So why am I doing these now? Well, it's been sitting in my "To Re-Post" list for YEARS, way up at the top, and it's time to convert them to 3rd Edition finally.
Jack of Spades

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Darli Dagger! Shizuka! Valis! Ninja Warrior!)

Post by Jack of Spades »

See, now this is what I come to Jab's Build's for. Mutants & Masterminds builds of things that make me go "WTF?"
Jack's Deck build threadFantasy Geographic Society campaign web site
Jabroniville

Abe Lincoln

Post by Jabroniville »

Joan: (mournfully) "Abe, I want you!"
Abe: (rapid-fire) "You want me to what? Forgot what you were gonna say? Happens to me all the time..."

---

Abe: "Ghandi, I think I'm in love with Joan! Do you think there's ANY WAY she shares my feelings?"
*flashback to countless times in the past episodes where Joan has made it clear she's in love with Abe)
Gandhi: ... (*are you SHITTING ME?" look*)

ABE LINCOLN
Cloned From:
Abraham Lincoln
Played by:[/b] Will Forte
Role: The Main Character, Everyday Guy, Idiot Hero, Babe Magnet
PL 2 (25), PL 3 (25) Defenses
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Deception 4 (+4)
Expertise (Pop Culture) 4 (+4)
Expertise (History) 3 (+3)
Perception 2 (+1)
Persuasion 4 (+4)
Vehicles 3 (+3)

Advantages:
None

Offense:
Unarmed +2 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +1 (DC 11), Parry +2 (DC 12), Toughness +1, Fortitude +2, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Gandhi & Joan)- Abe is really close with both of his platonic pals (though he made out with Gandhi once). In the end of the series, he realizes that he might have feelings for his female friend- but could she possibly SHARE them?
Relationship (Cleo)- Abe is in lust with Cleo, and mistakes this for feelings of love. Also he wants to get to first and a half base with her (under the shirt, OVER the bra).
Rivalry (J.F.K.)- Abe and J.F.K. are natural rivals over Cleo's affections.
Addiction (Staying Awake)- Abe temporarily became addicted to staying awake all the time while studying for the P.X.G.T. exams.

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 0 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 7 (25)

-"Abe" was the main character, being a tall, gawky Abraham Lincoln clone who's obsessed with Cleopatra, the hottest girl in school. His Goth platonic best pal Joan (who secretly loves him) and ethnic best pal Gandhi hang out with him while he feuds with J.F.K. over Cleo... and that's about the crux of it, and it sets up the entire series. He's comically clumsy and foolish, doesn't get why anyone does anything, and he's sort of your Everyman Idiot Hero, in the vein of Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin, though a bit less of a Jerk-Ass.

-Abe is unimpressive statistically, as he's a giant wussy with no inherent talents, and a REALLY low Awareness score (missing Joan's signals is Lampshaded by most of the cast by the end).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jack of Spades wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:33 am See, now this is what I come to Jab's Build's for. Mutants & Masterminds builds of things that make me go "WTF?"
haha- I remember making my rep on stuff like Care Bears and the terrifying chocolate man from the Axe Body Spray commercial :). While I prefer the big projects, I never forget stuff like that keeps everyone on their toes.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I've seen image memes of this show before, yet I had no context to the show itself. Never knew why it was called Clone High, but now I do! Learn something new every day. Even if it's useless trivia.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
JDRook

Post by JDRook »

Nice! There's actually a bar near my place that celebrates Snowflake Day every year around February, when the air the entire first-and-only season of Clone High.

The musical episode is probably the best, but they do a lot of less overt musical parody stuff in practically every episode. That and the random celebrity guests really give it a "Made for MTV" feel.