Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Valis! Ninja Warrior! Clone High! Sauron!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Oh, this was THAT story. I was trying to remember why there was a Spider-Man/Wolverine story with them, too- thankfully, I remembered it for the individual bios :).
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:04 am Honestly, I'd love for Sauron to start some dinosaur themed team with Stegron. Why has that not been a thing yet?
They already did in Spider-Man and the x-Man #1 from 2014.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Knockout

Post by Jabroniville »

KNOCKOUT (Elizabeth Rawson)
Created By:
David Michelinie & Erik Larsen
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man #340 (Oct. 1990)
Role: D-League Villain, Powerhouse
Group Affiliations: The Femme Fatales
PL 8 (76)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 9 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 3 (+3)
Intimidation 7 (+8)

Advantages:
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Hold, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Power-Lifting 1 (50 tons) [1]
Protection 1 [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+10 Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +10, Fortitude +9, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 2 / Defenses: 3 (76)

-Knockout's a big, strong-looking black chick, with the odd choice of metal cords as dreadlocks. Funnily enough, the "Big, Strong Black Girl" character type was used by Erik Larsen AGAIN, for his Spider-Man run only a year later- that character was named Powerhouse, and was a dead-ringer for the Rapture character he created for his creator-owned Savage Dragon. I think the dude has a "type". I find the most interesting things while researching stuff for this thread.

-The entire Fatales team kind of came and went in a hurry, meant to just fill space, but at least Knockout managed the K.O. on Captain America of all people during the MASSIVE 50-women (vs) Cap & Paladin fight in one issue. In the X-Men story-arc, she's actually a match for Rogue, losing only when the X-Woman absorbs some of Knockout's own strength to use against her.

-Knockout is a pretty generic Brick, being a little stronger than The Grapplers crew, but weaker than Frenzy (who seems to have been powered up lately). Times like this make me realize just HOW many of these women there really were in the late-'80s & early-'90s period of comic books! It seems that Big Muscular Chick was a generic archetype for Filler Villains around this time. I really have no evidence to imply that Knockout's any stronger than Poundcakes & Battleaxe, or even any weaker than Frenzy/Cargill, but she's big & buff, and I need to differentiate these people somehow! She's cheap as HELL, thanks to the fact that she has no major Skills or any particular unique tricks to her.

-And then all of a sudden in modern times she takes out ROGUE AND STORM?!? But then, this is played up as an attack from behind in Storm's case. But still- NOT BAD, especially for someone who was below the Dark Riders or Mutant Liberation Front in the "credible villains" squad. Later, she is beaten by Magneto (freed from Mindblast's powers), and then defeated by Rogue in a rematch.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Sauron is in a tough spot because his powers are tied to "mutant energy" so it's tough to put him in non X-Men stories but he doesn't fit the style of the X-Men books anymore.

Do the X-Men even have villains anymore? I started reading the House of X/Powers of X thing but it was a rambling mess and there were no bad guys in sight after 2 issues of each, aside from Nimrod in yet another apocalyptic future
Spectrum

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Darli Dagger! Shizuka! Valis! Ninja Warrior!)

Post by Spectrum »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:03 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:30 pmI don't know what Lincoln & Childs is- is that a show?
Probably Preston & Child, the Child referring to author Lincoln Child.
Yep, thanks Fuzzy. It has been way too long since I last read that series. Fun stuff.

And no, of course the card art didn't feature naked women. They were either really slender boys or their fur was skin toned. Makes me wonder if it was intentional and how rushed the editors were.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Jabroniville

Bloodlust

Post by Jabroniville »

BLOODLUST (Beatta Dubiel)
Created By:
Erik Larsen, Joe Rubinstein & Terry Kavanah
First Appearance: Marvel Comics Presents #48 (April 1990)
Role: D-League Villain, Claw Lady
Group Affiliations: The Femme Fatales, The Band of Baddies (seriously)
PL 8 (100)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 4 (+8)
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+4)
Intimidation 8 (+8)
Perception 5 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Chokehold, Defensive Roll, Diehard, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Claws), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment), Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Takedown

Powers:
"Fangs & Claws" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Split) [4]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [3]
"Healing Factor" Regeneration 4 [4]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Claws +8 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +5 (+6 D.Roll), Fortitude +8, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 12 (100)

-The only thing keeping Bloodlust from being the absolute embodiment of the 1990s in comics is the fact that she isn't a hot chick wearing a car seatbelt as a costume. That and the fact that most of Marvel U.K. manages to occupy that classification. But seriously, she's a crazy, clawed, animal-sense-having crazy chick who goes all "STABBY STABBY STABBY!" She was created by Erik Larsen to confound Spider-Man & Wolverine during one of their yearly team-ups (back when Wolvie was only appearing in about FIFTEEN books a month, if you can believe that) in a one-shot, but she was re-used for a later "Femme Fatales" team-up. She was also in The Superia Stratagem, of course, but managed to appear after more than a DECADE away in a Marvel Knights Spider-Man issue, trying to buy the Venom Symbiote at an auction. Crazy stuff- she was confirmed de-powered after M-Day, one of the few named villains considered lame enough to be worth depowering.

-Despite being de-powered, her distinctive looks resulted in her being used in "Background Scenes" a lot- she's in the Pleasant Hill story (transformed into a copy of Maria Hill by Kobik), and is one of Sharon "She-Thing" Ventura's prison gang members in an FF issue. She reappears in The Hunt For Wolverine with a much cooler redesign, now sporting punching daggers as equipment on her costume. During the fight with the X-Men, she was merely a nuisance, and was later knocked out by Domino & Jubilee while guarding an ally of Viper's. Subsequently, she was taken out by Magneto, then Domino again, then Psylocke- it really wasn't her story.

-Bloodlust represents perfectly what Wolverine, Lady Deathstrike & Sabretooth would all look like if they were relatively unskilled and were weaker in every possible way. She's strong as hell, and her Claws are very dangerous, but they still only do +7 damage without Power Attack, and she's not nearly as accurate as most Scrappers, requiring her to go All-Out a lot of the time as well. Some Healing Factor helps her out (Jeez, she's REALLY a Wolverine clone), but she's nothing more than a nuisance to someone on Logan's or Spidey's level.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Nice Sauron.

I always thought he was more powerful than usually shown.

I missed the comic where Sauron evolved with both Havok and Cyclops powers.

Do you plan to stat up that more powerful version?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Goldar wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:53 pm Nice Sauron.

I always thought he was more powerful than usually shown.

I missed the comic where Sauron evolved with both Havok and Cyclops powers.

Do you plan to stat up that more powerful version?
nah, it was only a one-off and nobody ever said how powerful he really was. I'm 90% sure someone just said he was stronger and then they beat him and he was back to normal.
Jabroniville

Mindblast

Post by Jabroniville »

Great. Just got a new fetish. THANKS COMIC BOOKS.

MINDBLAST (Danielle Forte)
Created By:
David Michelinie & Erik Larsen
First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man #340 (Oct. 1990)
Role: D-League Villain, Telepath/Telekinetic
Group Affiliations: The Femme Fatales
PL 9 (107)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 2 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Telekinesis" Move Object 14 (Quirk: Limited to One Object at a Time) [27]
Flight 5 (60 mph) [10]
"TK Field" Force Field 9 (Extras: Impervious) [18]

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Move Object +6 (DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+11 Force Field), Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 10--5 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 55 / Defenses: 9 (107)

-Mindblast is a weird one- basically being Psimon from the Teen Titans' rogues gallery, but with boobs. Yeah, that's a horrifying thought. She's vastly powerful (she can apparently lift FIVE-HUNDRED TONS, as per the descriptions), but still one of those one-note jobbers that never did anything. She's just flying around in the Spider-Man and Captain America issues I have, and her appearance is distinctive enough that she's popped up as a Backgrounder here and there (part of Hammerhead's gang during Civil War, joining an all-woman villainess squad in Fearless Defenders, and imprisoned in Pleasant Hill and being turned into a copy of Maria Hill by Kobik)- none of these times were her powers ever really shown.

-She was given a much sexier redesign in The Hunt For Wolverine, suddenly looking like a hot chick in a cleavage-baring outfit who just happened to have a visible brain (her head is now normal-shaped). Here, she and the Fatales capture Magneto and drain him with her powers and Sapphire Styx's- enhanced by technology. When Kitty Pryde fried it, Magneto escaped, easily defeating her and Knockout. An enraged Magneto attempted to murder a helpless Mindblast in the story's end, but Kitty warned him not to- if he became a murderer again, the X-Men would be forced to hunt him down. Reluctantly, he allowed her to live.

-Minblast is PL 9, the strongest of her team, mainly through her high Move Object rating (and a good durability score). I had to throw on some Increased Mass just to reflect her high power, and she can use the Move Action thingie to increase her lifting further. She can also only have "one tendril" out at a time, meaning that I guess she can't lift MULTIPLE objects, but that's not really much of a flaw in my mind- I'd call that a Quirk and be done with it. Also, why the hell does someone named "Mindblast" not have a MENTAL BLAST in her power-set?
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Is Mindblast telepathic at all?

Is her TK more powerful than our XMen TK characters?

Does Mindblast use her TK as force blasts or force fields?
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

kirinke wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:57 am Marvel totally ripped off Lord of the Rings with that name.
Wasn't Valkyrie's horse named Aragorn, too? Or was that Black Knight's? I'm lazy to Google it... ;)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Ares wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:04 am Sad to say, but I never made the LotR connection when I first read about the character and thought it was just a coincidence for the longest time. Sauron worked as both being a dinoSAUR and "sauron" sounding like "soar-on", since he could also fly. The idea that some dinosaur man putting himself on the level of a guy who was basically the Dr. Doom of his own universe is something.

For my money, I'd do something where Sauron gets separated from Dr. Lykos, maybe Lykos absorbs the power of some insane mutant like Hope or Franklin Richards and in the process is completely separated from the doctor. That way there's no more of the "man trapped within a monster" stuff and you can just enjoy having an evil genius dinosaur man going around doing shenanigans. I feel kind of the same way about Curt Conners, since by this point after being the Lizard over and over (and supposedly killing his wife and kid?), he'd likely just kill himself to stop being such a menace.

Honestly, I'd love for Sauron to start some dinosaur themed team with Stegron. Why has that not been a thing yet?
Oooooooo, Ssssssssssssauron and Ssssssssssstegron...I dig it. 8-)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:59 am
kirinke wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:57 am Marvel totally ripped off Lord of the Rings with that name.
Wasn't Valkyrie's horse named Aragorn, too? Or was that Black Knight's? I'm lazy to Google it... ;)
I believe they both used the same horse.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:43 am
Ares wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:04 am Honestly, I'd love for Sauron to start some dinosaur themed team with Stegron. Why has that not been a thing yet?
They already did in Spider-Man and the x-Man #1 from 2014.
Ares wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:46 am I mean like a regular team. Call them something like the Tyrant Lizards, and either dig through Marvel's history or just create some new ones. Get an evil version of Devil Dinosaur called Satansaurus, maybe boost most of their strength so that Stegron is like Class 85 or so, get a hybrid velociraptor in there as the group Wolverine/Speester called VelociRipper, etc.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:59 am
Yes, Valkyrie's winged white horse was called Aragorn.

The Black Knight's winged black steed was called Valinor.