Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Katana

Post by Jabroniville »

This is 100 times more bitching than any Boys' Toy on the market.

KATANA
Played By:
Stephanie Sheh
Role: The Asian Friend
PL 8 (106)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Deception 2 (+3)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)

Advantages: 
Agile Feint, Evasion, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Sword), Improved Disarm, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Special Sword" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [6]
Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical) (Extras: Penetrating 6) (10 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Sword +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Doing Good)

Total: Abilities: 58 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 13 (106)

-As the only Asian superhero of remote prominence in the DCU aside from Dr. Light II, Katana was chosen as the "Asian Friend" to make the Super Hero High class more ethnic. Of course... they didn't actually give her anything to DO, but her costume is bad-ass. Hell, it's actually better than any of her comic book looks, OR her movie one. She actually looks cooler than all of her friends! But yeah, she easily has the least characterization of the entire "Core Group" (which is really just four ACTUAL Core members, plus two ethnic girls and Poison Ivy for Filler).

-Katana's sword skills border on the supernatural, as she's been shown doing things like throwing it to cut things, giving The Flash a HAIRCUT with two strokes, and carving Shuriken, then throwing them into the air to fit over a kusarigama. Naturally, she hasn't really cut any VILLAINS with it (gotta keep that "G" rating), but she's probably at least +11 (which I had to keep her, just to avoid breaking PL caps).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Harley Quinn

Post by Jabroniville »

HARLEY QUINN
Played By:
Tara Strong
Role: Wacky Girl
PL 8 (99)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 9 (+11)
Deception 2 (+3)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+6)

Advantages: 
Agile Feint, Evasion, Improved Critical (Hammer), Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Giant Hammer" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [3]
Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Reach) (5 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Hammer +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Reputation (Zany)

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 3 / Defenses: 15 (99)

-Among the more curious choices in the series was to put HARLEY QUINN in a role in this franchise. Dropping the whole "Abusive relationship with the Joker" thing entirely, they simply convert her into a wacky, fun-loving weirdo prone to random outbursts. Basically a less-zany version of Madeline Hatter from Ever After High, and filling the same role- the Hero's Wacky Friend. In this case, Quinn is made to room with Wonder Woman, where their two personalities... well, they don't CLASH, exactly, because the show doesn't really seem to be about inter-student clashes (aside from Cheetah being rotten). Mostly just Harley being weird and Wonder Woman putting up with it. She's played with enthusiastic aplomb by Tara Strong, herself a major name in the Voice Acting scene. And thankfully, she keeps the funny Brooklyn accent.

-It's kind of funny that DC has now hedged so many bets on what is basically the murderous partner of a high-level spree killer, especially in a franchise targeting children, but I can kinda see their point. The character just SCREAMS "Toyetic" (marketing term of "stuff that looks cool and will make for good toys"), has a zany look, and a fun personality. It appeals to pretty much everyone- men think the comic book, movie & Batman: TAS character is sexy; and girls actually LIKE THE CHARACTER, TOO- she's usually not over-the-top Fanservice, she's authentically funny (not "HUH-HUH, I have a dumb codename and powers!" funny, either), and she has a great look.

-So they put the character as the most prominent member in the Suicide Squad movie, push her toy in DC SuperHero Girls, and overall have upgraded her to be primed as their #2 or 3 "Female Character". This also has the effect of edging out Marvel, who's still only pushed any in secondary roles in the supporting materials (Black Widow is only on Hawkeye's level in the movies; most women in the cartoons are mere Tokens), making DC the much more "Girl-Friendly" option. They've got most of the famous female superheroes, and the most popular female villain (Catwoman by a country mile over anyone else). I mean, I'd argue that a Marvel SuperHero Girls cartoon could be every bit as good, have even better characters, and WAY more choices for Ethnic Friends (Storm, Monica Rambeau, Kamala Khan, Jubilee, Kitty Pryde I guess, etc.)... most of them ain't famous.

-Harley Quinn in the show is simplified tremendously- she's just an athletic girl with a ludicrously gigantic hammer that does a ton of damage.
catsi563

Re: Jab's Builds! (DC SuperHero Girls- Katana! Harley Quinn!)

Post by catsi563 »

And to think all of that from a character that first appeared as an almost one off joke character on Batman TAS. Her popularity was so over the top that she was transferred into the comics almost as is.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I suspect that we'll see a huge shift amongst cosplayers to the DC Superhero Girls renditions of a lot of these characters' costumes in the next year or so.

They all keep the classic iconography and symbolism, but they really downplay the fan-service. I'm not against heroines looking sexy — I seem to vaguely recall saying so recently — but these costumes certain should be more flattering to a wider variety of body types and ages. Goodness knows I'd rather my daughters dress like this version of Harley Quinn than the Suicide Squad or Arkham City versions!

Also, I love that this version of Batgirl and Marvel's Spider-Gwen have finally caught on to the fashion example that Spoiler set way back in 1992: Hoods for heroines look awesome!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Frost

Post by Jabroniville »

This color scheme ALWAYS WORKS.

FROST
Played By:
Danica McKellar
Role: Filler
PL 8 (77)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+2)
Ranged Combat (Ice) 4 (+8)

Advantages: 
Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"The Cold Never... ugh even I'm tired of doing that every time" Immunity 1 (Heat) [1]

Ice Snare 8 (24) -- [27]
  • AE: "Icicle Blast" Blast 7 (14)
  • AE: Create Ice 8 (Feats: Innate) (17)
  • AE: "Patch of Ice" Affliction 6 (Athletics; Dazed & Hindered/Vulnerable & Prone) (Extras: Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst) (Flaws: Limited to Grounded Foes) (12)
Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+1 Damage, DC 18)
Snare +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Icicle Blast +8 (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Doing Good)
Power Loss (Cold)- Frost derives her cold-based powers by absorbing ambient heat. In cold environments, she actually loses her powers.

Total: Abilities: 30 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 2 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 13 (77)

-Frost (Firestorm's nemesis "Killer Frost" in the comics) is another super-ill-defined character, largely appearing to be interesting-looking (she's slate-blue) and have visually appealing powers (ice stuff). She's had one very, very recent Webisode appearance, consisting of her being grouchy while she looks for a heat source. As the showers, steam rooms and everyone else get used up, she becomes increasingly hostile and agitated, until FINALLY she explains the reason- her powers only work once she's absorbed some heat.

-Also, she's voiced by the SUPREMELY hot Danica "Winnie Cooper" McKeller, aka "millions of little boys' first crush". Her feats are few and far between, so this is a pretty basic build.
Jabroniville

Starfire

Post by Jabroniville »

STARFIRE
Played By:
Hynden Walch
Role: Weird Alien Girl
PL 8 (129)
STRENGTH
6 STAMINA 6 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Aerobatics 5 (+9)
Expertise (Spacefaring Hero) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+5)

Advantages: 
Improved Critical (Starbolts), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 6

Powers:
Flight 8 (500 mph) [16]
"Starbolts" Blast 8 (Extras: Multiattack) [24]

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Starbolts +8 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +6, Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Responsibility (Offworlder)- Starfire hails from Tamaran, and thus often has trouble with Earth customs and language.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 40 / Defenses: 12 (129)

-Starfire's an obvious a choice as it gets for this franchise- very "Toyetic" (she's ORANGE), long hair, purple fashions... and they actually get Hynden Walch to play her, just like in the Teen Titans cartoon. She's basically the exact same character here, having an odd verbal syntax (often using "the" in front of words inapprorpriately- "this is the sad" and the like). She gets more than a few starring roles, and at one point teams up with Cyborg to defeat TRIGON THE TERRIBLE in a fight, thus both earn "Hero of the Month" (a long-running Webisode series devoted to showcasing certain characters).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote:I suspect that we'll see a huge shift amongst cosplayers to the DC Superhero Girls renditions of a lot of these characters' costumes in the next year or so.

They all keep the classic iconography and symbolism, but they really downplay the fan-service. I'm not against heroines looking sexy — I seem to vaguely recall saying so recently — but these costumes certain should be more flattering to a wider variety of body types and ages. Goodness knows I'd rather my daughters dress like this version of Harley Quinn than the Suicide Squad or Arkham City versions!

Also, I love that this version of Batgirl and Marvel's Spider-Gwen have finally caught on to the fashion example that Spoiler set way back in 1992: Hoods for heroines look awesome!
yeah, they're a unique combination of distinctive, yet simplified, in addition to being a little less daring. It makes them easier to animate, and more palatable to the choosy parent (many of whom probably dislike Monster High's short-skirted, fashion-obsessed teens).
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

IIRC both Monster High and Ever After characters use the same basic model. Do the DC action figures do the same?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Stupid question, but, where exactly does one watch the series? It's not on Netflix that I can find... Am I just massively failing my Investigation Check?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote:Stupid question, but, where exactly does one watch the series? It's not on Netflix that I can find... Am I just massively failing my Investigation Check?
I just watch it on YouTube. I'm not sure about anything else.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote:IIRC both Monster High and Ever After characters use the same basic model. Do the DC action figures do the same?
Not sure. One blog says:
Bumblebee’s torso is essentially the same height as MH/EAH, but her legs are super leggy. The shirt fits MH/EAH quite well as a baggy shirt, but the pants swim around the dolls. Since Bumble’s feet don’t have such a drastic arch, the shoes fit at an odd angle. They’ll work, but just remember the angle.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Gamebook

Post by Gamebook »

Or you can just watch it on the website.
Jabroniville

Poison Ivy

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

POISON IVY
Played By:
Tara Strong
Role: Teen Genius, Shrinking Violet, Possibly-Evil One
PL 8 (102)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 0

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+4)
Deception 3 (+3)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+10)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+14) -- Flaws: Limited to Botany
Insight 1 (+4)
Perception 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Plants) 4 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Advantages: 
Inventor, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Plant Control"
Vine Snare 8 (24) -- [25]
  • AE: "Move Plants" Move Object 8 (Extras: Perception Range) (Flaws: Limited to Plants) (16)
"Grow Plants" Growth 8 (Extras: Affects Others Only +0) (Flaws: Limited to Plants) [8]

Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Snare +8 (+8 Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Doing Good)- MAYBE.
Responsibility (Plant Care)- Ivy seems to care more deeply for plants than people.

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 33 / Defenses: 10 (102)

-Poison Ivy, as both a Toyetic character (owing to her green costume and red hair) and famous character, was a natural for the line, and takes up the "Shy Girl" personality type so often seen in these kinds of shows, paying homage to the wallflowers of the world. There's also hints here and there that she's a bit sneaky and hiding her motives- a great deal of her plot threads involve her plant monsters breaking free and going wild. She's a pretty G-Rated version of the comic book character, simply using a couple of Plant-Themed Powers, but not being this rampaging seductress.
Jabroniville

Batgirl

Post by Jabroniville »

BATGIRL (Barbara Gordon)
Played By:
Mae Whitman
Role: Tech-Girl, Skillmonkey, The Butt-Monkey
PL 8 (132)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+13)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Deception 3 (+6)
Expertise (Science) 4 (+8)
Insight 4 (+8)
Investigation 6 (+10)
Perception 4 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+7)
Technology 7 (+11)

Advantages: 
Agile Feint, Equipment 5 (Bat-Glider Wings, Batarangs, Utility Belt, Communicator), Fast Grab, Improved Critical 2 (Unarmed, Batarangs), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6

Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Batarangs +12 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +8

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 78 / Skills: 46--23 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 15 (132)

-In the first season of Webisodes, Barbara Gordon was the school's normal-looking techno-geek and computer whiz- it was only in the Movie that capped off the season that she became inspired by a bat and put on her own cowled costume, becoming Batgirl in a world with no Batman. She's another part of the Core Four, using gadgetry and skill over powers- though oddly, the show seems to get a lot of mileage out of humiliating her and making her screw up. I mean, she's SMART, but she'll get dumped on, fail at flying a jetplane, get hit on by the teenaged Riddler, lost in the jungle after happenstance flings her Utility Belt miles away, and all sorts of other things. Oh well- she's still voiced by Mae "Tinker Bell/Katara" Whitman.

-A classic Skillmonkey, Barabara has more Skills than anyone else by a ways, is as smart as Poison Ivy, and has access to all sorts of gear, making her one of the priciest characters. She's also got a good set of Advantages and Defenses, making her a bit more versatile than the other students, most of whom are very much "Lots of Power; No Control" types.