Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Seth

Post by Jabroniville »

SETH
First Appearance:
King of Fighters 2000
Game Appearances: King of Fighters 2000-02 (38% of series since debut), KoF Maximum Impact 1 & 2
Role: Forgotten Character, Well-Dressed Man
PL 8 (122)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+10)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13)
Expertise (Special Agent) 6 (+9)
Intimidation 3 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Rising Sun), Improved Critical (Body Snatcher), Improved Critical (Anti-Air Body Snatcher), Ranged Attack 3

SNK Fighting Style: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Body Snatcher- Grabbing Parry" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if He Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2) -- [4]
  • AE: "Body Snatcher- Anti-Air Version" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Rising Sun- Uppercut/Dark Moon- Diving Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Special Moves +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (Ron, NESTS)- Seth hunts various characters associated with the NESTS cartel.
Weakness (Predictability)- SNK Characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 7 + 11 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 15 (122)

-Seth is ultimately one of the failed characters of the "NESTS Saga", which is too bad, as I found his style rather sharp, and a good counterpart to Vanessa, who dressed somewhat similarly. The developers wanted a middle-aged black guy with a mohawk, and created Vanessa using him as a basis- both are good characters fighting against NESTS. Unfortunately, however, the character was dropped after only three games, and has never returned to continuity since then.

-Seth joined the "Benimaru Team" with Benimaru, Shingo & Lin, under orders from his boss, Ling, to investigate NESTS. However, Ling (unrelated to Lin) was actually Zero in disguise.

-Seth is your basic boxer-type character, but is also a decent grappler and a special agent, meaning he's a bit more well-rounded than most.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grenzer

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Athena! Goenitz! The New Faces! Orochi!)

Post by Grenzer »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:23 am
New Builds:
Ummmmm... here's the thing- there's not THAT MUCH out there that's new that I've felt like statting. I mean, 12-13 years of my thread (Jesus, that's a long time) and I've done pretty much everything I wanted. Most of the '80s cartoons I saw have been statted. The video games I've played, too. There's a FEW Fighting Games left, and things like that. So a couple ideas:

* Star Wars Builds: Yeah, so I was REALLY hesitant to do this because of the wave of complaining I've found tiring at this point, but let's be frank- I statted up all the OTHER Star Wars stuff, and this would probably lead to a lot of comments on here, and I've found those getting a bit... rare. Of late. Partially with people being busy, and this big set being more "niche". So in a mercenary sense, I could suck it up, re-post the old builds I did, then go into the divisive sequels :).
* DC Hero-Specific Builds: This one is quite tricky, in that I am FAR less knowledgeable of DC, and their characters are borderline impossible to research. But at least it'd give Ken stuff to say again :). I was thinking of some sets like my old "Daredevil-specific Builds" or "Cap-specific Builds" where I detail one character's little "universe", like taking Wonder Woman and elaborating upon all her villains that I can find, or whatever.
Hello there, first time poster but a longtime lurker. Your builds are always an entertaining read even if I do not have much of an opportunity to use them in my gaming sessions. The reason I posted is because with your steady progress on the King of Fighters (one of my favorite video game franchises), I was curious if you would be curious on doing some actual anime shows; specifically My Hero Academia and One Punch Man, because those are superhero shows rather than the more general shonen or seinen action cartoons. My Hero Academia in particular borrows a lot from X-Men, and would be really interesting to see put in a RPG context given how some of the character's power-sets work.

Also, I have been getting into a lot of Tatsunoko anime from the 70's lately, and it is amazing how good those shows are and how they hold up. A lot of Americans do not realize that Tatsunoko developed its own stable of 'superhero' anime (they are often described as such in official translations) such as Gatchaman (known as Battle of the Planets here in the US after being heavily retooled and edited), Tekkaman, Casshan and many others. The most famous Tatsunoko show is of course Speed Racer, but I'm not sure if you want to stat something along those lines.

Finally, and this is probably asking for trouble... but you have mentioned Fist of the North Star a few times. It's a big favorite of mine, and I was curious on how would you stat Kenshiro to fit into Mutants & Masterminds? I've tried, but I get stuck on a lot of details because of my lack of experience, and because stating Ken without writing several pages of qualifying notes seems very difficult.

Anyway, I know at the end of the day that even stating out one of the franchises I mentioned would be a big task, but any input you could give on them would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.
KorokoMystia

Re: Jab’s Builds! (K'! K9999! Kula Diamond! The NESTS Bosses!)

Post by KorokoMystia »

Throwing in my two cents here:Kenshiro, I think, could be handled by an elite martial artist build simliar to the likes of Iron Fist and Shang-Chi. (Problaby the former, due to his supernatural abilities.), but with higher base strength-stamina as well as some Enhanced Strength-Stamina linked to when he gets serious and buffs up, to amp him up to higher levels. Where it gets difficult is the sheer number of special techniques Kenshiro has. It might even be worth just throwing in a Variable effect. But honestly, he could be anywhere from PL 10 to 12 at base and have it reasonably fit, I feel.
Jabroniville

Vanessa

Post by Jabroniville »

!!!! Action Girl! Mother!! Middle-Aged!! C-Confident! Dresses in a business shirt & tie! W... W... WAIIIIIFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU...

VANESSA
First Appearance:
King of Fighters 2000
Game Appearances: King of Fighters 2000-02, XI, XIV & XV (75% of series since debut)
Role: Scorching Hot Action MILF
PL 8 (127)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+14)
Expertise (Special Agent) 6 (+9)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack ("Head Bob"), Evasion, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Dash Puncher), Improved Critical (Forbidden Eagle), Improved Critical (Fist Combo), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 3

SNK Fighting Style: Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Defensive Roll, Extraordinary Effort, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Hold, Improved Trip (Throw), Power Attack, Takedown, Withstand Damage (Block)

Powers:
"Fist Combo" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 2) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 2 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (3) -- [5]
  • AE: "Forbidden Eagle- Double Punch" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Dash Puncher" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) & Speed 2 (Flaws: Limited to Short Bursts) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +14 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Special Moves +12 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Fist Combo +14 (+2 Damage & Affliction, DC 17 & 12)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Relationship (Family)- Vanessa is married and is a mother- it's not known whether or not her family knows of her career.
Weakness (Predictability)- SNK Characters cannot simply "spam" out the same attack over and over again, as the opponent will expect the attacks, and be ready for them (and a counterattack). The third time they try the same technique (or same combo of techniques) in a short span, they will be at -2 to Accuracy, AND to his Active Defenses in that round. All will decrease by 2 every successive round the same move is done.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 10 + 11 / Powers: 5 / Defenses: 14 (127)

-While Seth quickly became a forgotten King of Fighters character, Vanessa made much more of an impact, probably due to the fact that she's SCORCINGLY hot- a spunky, tough-looking redhead in a sleeveless business shirt, slacks, and a TIE? Oh, baby. Best of all- she's actually MIDDLE-AGED, contrasting the cast of teen boys and girls! Vanessa is actually a wife and mother, and her secret agent job uses that as a cover. She fights alongside K', Maxima & Ramon under orders from Ling, hoping to investigate NESTS (K' and Maxima were former agents), but of course Ling was actually Zero in disguise. Afterwards, she teams up with Seth & Ramon, and appears in the most recent game in the series as Downloadable Content.

-Vanessa is actually a female boxer, using some stuff like Rick Strowd's "Head Bob" evasive techniques, as well as your standard combos.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Athena! Goenitz! The New Faces! Orochi!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Grenzer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:48 am
Hello there, first time poster but a longtime lurker. Your builds are always an entertaining read even if I do not have much of an opportunity to use them in my gaming sessions. The reason I posted is because with your steady progress on the King of Fighters (one of my favorite video game franchises), I was curious if you would be curious on doing some actual anime shows; specifically My Hero Academia and One Punch Man, because those are superhero shows rather than the more general shonen or seinen action cartoons. My Hero Academia in particular borrows a lot from X-Men, and would be really interesting to see put in a RPG context given how some of the character's power-sets work.

Also, I have been getting into a lot of Tatsunoko anime from the 70's lately, and it is amazing how good those shows are and how they hold up. A lot of Americans do not realize that Tatsunoko developed its own stable of 'superhero' anime (they are often described as such in official translations) such as Gatchaman (known as Battle of the Planets here in the US after being heavily retooled and edited), Tekkaman, Casshan and many others. The most famous Tatsunoko show is of course Speed Racer, but I'm not sure if you want to stat something along those lines.

Finally, and this is probably asking for trouble... but you have mentioned Fist of the North Star a few times. It's a big favorite of mine, and I was curious on how would you stat Kenshiro to fit into Mutants & Masterminds? I've tried, but I get stuck on a lot of details because of my lack of experience, and because stating Ken without writing several pages of qualifying notes seems very difficult.

Anyway, I know at the end of the day that even stating out one of the franchises I mentioned would be a big task, but any input you could give on them would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.
Oh, hey! Welcome to posting- always good to see the lurkers comment once in a while (without knowing what the number of eyeballs on my thread is, I always judge "success" via comments, lol).

Unfortunately, I do not watch, nor enjoy, Shonen Anime, and would have nothing to really say about either One Punch Man or My Hero Academia. I flipped through the first trade of MHA and found it decently clever, at least, with the main kid winning a class assignment because he protected a civilian. That said... BriarThrone on here got me to stat up RWBY, and HalloweenJack got me to stat horror guys, pretty much by doing all the groundwork and character bits themselves, supplying all the research information. There's enough My Hero Academia fans on here to probably do something like that for me, should they actually be willing, lol.

I watched the Fist of the North Star anime a bit back in the day, but I think it was only a short bit, because I think it went on forever. Literally all I remember of Ken's style is the "You're already dead" thing, and I didn't know any other techniques. I assume he has a Wiki page of greater material, but with that move... I dunno, Penetrating Damage with the Triggered feat attached to it?

Thanks for you interest :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hm, actually, looking at Kenshiro, it looks like his techniques are pretty well detailed, and many are rather simple. I can probably stat him up in the New Year or something :). Maybe not all his baddies, but I can take a further look into that.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

It helps that most of the fighters in Fist of the North Star fit into a couple categories, the "make you blow up from the inside" guys, and the "slash you up with Cutting Hands" guys. There's also a Fighting Game in the arcade which has a small roster, but has all the core heroes and baddies in it.

As for One Punch Man, it's more of a parody than a straight shonen (despite all the other characters playing it straight), since the joke is that the main guy is so strong he can defeat literally everybody with one punch... Which makes him difficult to stat because that's hard to really quantify in M&M stats unless you just make him way higher PL than everyone else in the verse. And to further on the joke, all his "special moves" consist of "Punch Harder" or "Multiattack Punch".
Last edited by KorokoMystia on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

And, of course, the source of his powers is his "rigorous routine" of 100 push-ups, 100 crunches, and 100 squats each day.
Jabroniville

Ramon

Post by Jabroniville »

RAMON
First Appearance:
King of Fighters 2000
Game Appearances: King of Fighters 2000-02, XV (44% of series since debut)
Role: Luchadore
PL 8 (116)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 8 (+14)
Athletics 10 (+13)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13)
Expertise (Special Agent) 2 (+3)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 1 (+4)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Evasion, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Rising Sun), Improved Critical (Body Snatcher), Improved Critical (Anti-Air Body Snatcher), Improved Initiative

Powers:
"Cross Chop- Wall Jumping Attack" Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Flying Tiger Chancery" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit if Opponent Parried Last Turn) (Inaccurate -1) (2) -- [3]
  • AE: "Rolling Sobat- Back Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Special Moves +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +10

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Vanessa)- Like all heterosexual men, Ramon is infatuated with Vanessa, and gladly goes along with her when she recruits him to do special agent stuff.

Total: Abilities: 66 / Skills: 28--14 / Advantages: 7 + 11 / Powers: 4 / Defenses: 14 (116)

-Ramon has a peculiar design, taking a luchadore's fighting style, the moves & taunts of the Japanese Tiger Mask, and throwing on blonde hair and an eyepatch. He was meant to appeal to Latino fans, using his lucha style to execute slams and high-flying kicks. He's a born flirt, often teasing his teammate Vanessa (though that might be just because he HAS WORKING EYES), who has to remind him that she's married. He follows her to every game she's in- they were on the "Hero Team" in King of Fighters 2000 (along with Maxima & K'), and is often recruited elsewhere, but is dumped after the early 2000s. In fact, he isn't in any games AT ALL until KoF XV, when he's added last-minute as part of the "Galaxy Wrestling Team" with Antonov & the King of Dinosaurs.

-Ramon has an acrobatic fighting style including Tiger Mask's Chancery takeover, a wall jump, and more.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Lin

Post by Jabroniville »

LIN
First Appearance:
King of Fighters 2000
Game Appearances: King of Fighters 2000-02 (38% of series since debut)
Role: Assassin
PL 8 (140)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+13)
Expertise (Assassin) 8 (+10)
Insight 3 (+7)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Investigation 3 (+7)
Perception 4 (+8)
Ranged Combat (Poison) 2 (+11)
Stealth 4 (+9)

Advantages:
Defensive Attack, Evasion, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Multiattacks), Improved Critical (Floor Punch), Improved Critical (Poison Palm Thrust), Improved Critical (Kasumi), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
Features 1: Poisonous Blood [1]

"Combo Strikes" Strength-Damage +0 (Extras: Multiattack 3) (Flaws: Distracting) Linked to Affliction 3 (Toughness; Dazed & Vulnerable/Stunned & Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (5) -- [9]
  • AE: "Kasumi- Poison Spit" Blast 5 (Reduced Defenses -2, Diminished Range -3) (3)
  • AE: "Punches Through The Floor & Teleports It Up" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Indirect- From Below) (Extras: Ranged 4) (Reduced Defenses -2, Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Poison Palm Thrust" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: Teleport 2 (Feats: Change Direction) (5)
Offense:
Poison Palm Thrust +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Combos +13 (+3 Damage & Affliction, DC 18 & 13)
Poison Spit +11 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Responsibility (The Flying Brigands)- Lin is a high-ranking member of the Brigands.
Enemy (Ron)- The two are former friends. When Ron betrayed the Brigands to join NESTS, Lin began hunting him.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 44--22 / Advantages: 11 + 11 / Powers: 10 / Defenses: 14 (140)

-Lin is one of the weirdest and most out-there character designs in all of King of Fighters history- looking all the world like an evil assassin with Shego's skin coloration, he was actually on Benimaru's team in his debut (KoF 2000), but was related to the "Flying Brigands" subplot. He's an assassin and a good friend of Ron, a supporting character- when Ron betrayed the clan and joined NESTS, Lin began hunting him, and was enticed by Seth to join the KoF tournament in order to find his own clan's missing leader. Upon finding him, nothing interesting happened and the character hasn't appeared in more than two canonical games ever- he was last seen in 2002's "Dream Match" game. Kind of a waste of a potentially interesting design- I get the impression that Ron was supposed to be a big deal to the games, but plans never materialized and so Lin was kind of worthless as a result.

-Lin fights using an interesting combination of Duo Lon's "Teleporting Limb" stuff, Multiattacks, a short-range Spit attack, and Teleportation, making him a highly-mobile character. As another character quickly disposed of surrounding the "NESTS Saga", Lin is only PL 8.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jabroniville

Malin

Post by Jabroniville »

MALIN
First Appearance:
King of Fighters 2003
Game Appearances: King of Fighters 2003 & XI only (50% of games since debut)
Role: Failed Character, Childish Weirdo, Gadget-User
PL 7 (115)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 11 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 1 (+13)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 5 (+8)
Stealth 6 (+11)

Advantages:
Equipment 1 (Knives/Claws +1- Split), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Yellowjacket 1), Improved Critical (Yellowjacket 2), Improved Critical (Demon Arachnid), Improved Critical (Poison Scorpion), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
Features 1: May Add Weapon Damage to Special Moves [1]

"Yellowjacket 2" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2) -- [5]
  • AE: "Yellowjacket 1" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
  • AE: "Demon Arachnid" Blast 4 (Feats: Accurate) (Reduced Defenses -2, Diminished Range -2, Requires Yo-Yo) (2)
  • AE: "Poison Scorpion- Electrified Tonfas" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +13 (+1 Damage, DC 17)
Knives +12 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Special Moves +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Demon Arachnid +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +1 (+2 D.Roll), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Spying)- Malin likes to gather information on others.
Rivalry (Yuri Sakazaki)- The teen refered to Malin's fighting style as "cowardly". Malin carries a grudge.

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 34--17 / Advantages: 10 + 11 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 9 (115)

-Malin was a new character created for King of Fighters 2003's "High School Girls Team" (alongside pre-established characters Athena & Hinako), and created as a replacement of sorts for Choi Bounge, who wasn't included in that game. Her nature is enigmatic- she works for an organization that gathers intelligence on various things, and joins Athena's team (after being rejected as an unknown, initially) after stealing ribbons from their hair, presumably impressing them. In the next game in the series, she joined the "Anti-Kyokugenryo Team" because they needed somewhere else for her to go. They decided that she had an issue with Yuri Sakazaki, who'd called her fighting style "cowardly". Presumably the character could have gone somewhere, but KoF XI was the final game created under the old graphical style, and so the brand-new game engine required EVERYONE to be re-done, which meant that only a pittance of characters were created for KoF XII. As a total newbie, Malin was not chosen, and has yet to reappear.

-Malin's fighting style is based around various childish trinkets, as well as knives, that she keeps in her pockets. She is highly-mobile, but very small, doing "Poke"-type attacks. Her Demon Arachnid move is a weird one- a spinning yo-yo hovers in mid-stage. This is tricky to stat up in M&M terms, since a stationary spinning object isn't that dangerous, but in a Fighting Game, it controls the movement aspect of the game, which is 70% of the game. So I just made it a Blast instead.
Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Thank you so much for your responses so far. It's encouraging to read. I'm pretty good at research, so I will do my best to contribute that info as needed.

For Kenshiro, the Reddit thread linked below is useful for keeping track of his very wide range of abilties and feats.

https://www.reddit.com/r/respectthreads ... orth_star/

Did you know Ken is totally immune to poisons, and also heavily resistant to hypnosis? And has a photographic memory? This thread explains all, and is one of the reasons I started to get overwhelmed when trying to quantify that info into stats.

And this fight below was anime filler, but I think demonstrates just how durable and strong Ken is, something that is often forgotten because he rarely has to use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh2vpMJVND4

And this fight from a recent video game shows he can react to multiple pistol shots and dodge them after they have already been shot (the gunman here has considerable super-speed as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeiYmQzJa24 (Start at 8:10 for the most relevent part)

Ken manages to defeat a souped-us version of this guy much later in the game, and dodges even more bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkY71_C3Nnk Skip to 13:23 for the boss fight.

I can do a basic breakdown of how characters work in One Punch Man as well. The heroes there seem to be grouped into a number of archtypes that define their fighting style and power set. I might have that ready in about a week or so. My Hero Academia... it is a little tougher to explain because it works on the principle of mutant powers (called 'quirks' in that universe), and some of them are very elaborate in design and function. Like I said in my first post, the setting is a lot like X-Men, if Xavier's dream was ever successfully achieved and mutants became not just the dominant force in society but also a (mostly) benevolent one. It is surreal that the best superhero cartoon to come out in years happens to be an anime, and that it clearly shows a lot of love for its source material while still being very distinct. It also help that for the moment the show is under 80 episodes in length, so it is also accessible to new fans. Excessive length of course being one of the banes of shonen anime, but that is a discussion for another time.
Jabroniville

Ash Crimson

Post by Jabroniville »

Image Image

ASH CRIMSON
First Appearance:
King of Fighters 2003
Game Appearances: King of Fighters 2003-XIII & XV (5/6 games since debut), KoF Maximum Impact Regulation A
Role: The New Hero, Most Infamous Fighting Game Character Ever
PL 10 (191)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 13 DEXTERITY 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+14)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+17)
Deception 9 (+11)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 8 (+10)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Chi) 6 (+13)

Advantages:
Assessment, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Critical (Dark Thrust), Improved Critical (Rapids of Rage) 2, Improved Critical (Fire Spin) 2, Improved Critical (Wicked Chew) 2, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
"Power Drain" Weaken Powers 5 (Extras: Continuous +3) Linked to Variable 4 (Flaws: Limited to the Powers of Others, Limited to Stolen Powers) [40]
"Green Flames" Features 1: Adds Fire to Unarmed Damage [1]

"Ventose- Green Sonic Boom" Blast 5 (Reduced Defenses -2, Diminished Range -1) (5) -- [8]
  • AE: "Nivose- Green Somersault Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Genie- Invisible Blown Kiss" Blast 3 (Feats: Subtle 2, Accurate) (Reduced Defenses -2, Diminished Range -1) (4)
  • AE: "Germinal Capriche- Charging Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +17 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Special Moves +15 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Dark Thrust +13 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Rapids of Rage +16 (+4 Damage & Affliction, DC 19 & 14)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +15 (DC 25), Parry +16 (DC 26), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications:
Enemy (Saiki)- Ash wishes to destroy Saiki, even at the cost of his own life.
Relationship (Elisabeth Blanctorche)- The two were very close as children, and he views her as a big sister, even while she tries to hunt him down.

Total: Abilities: 68 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 19 + 11 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 22 (191)

-It's impossibly to discuss the storied history of the King of Fighters franchise and not mention its most infamous character in Fighting Game history- ASH CRIMSON. See Ash up there? That's a GUY. While Benimaru and other characters in SNK's history have been gay-looking or otherwise feminine, Ash is the MAIN CHARACTER and looks like an out & out crossdresser... in one of the most macho-tinged genres on Earth. You can imagine how that went over in the West. In Japan, it's considered not quite so odd, but Ash was immediately the victim of a huge backlash in North America. As the KoF franchise got, uh, "fancier" with time, this was always just under the surface, but Ash was so out with it that people shit all over him and the series. It was all the worse than he was villainous. He's even more universally-hated than Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 2 (a long-haired pretty boy who was supposed to replace Solid Snake). I definitely remember my early 20s and going "UGH, look at this GIRLY-MAN!".

-Ash is also a huge dick- he appears "blase" about everything he deems beneath his notice, and he has an agenda of his own, causing even his own teammates in the "Hero Team" of KoF 2003 (his debut game) to turn on him- he was meant to have the fans "feel bad" if they cheered him. His mission? To attack and defeat Chizuru, Iori & Kyo- the three descendants of those who sealed Orochi, in hopes of stealing their powers. First he defeats Chizuru in 2003, stealing her Yata Mirror. In KoF XI, he teams with Shen Woo & Oswald as his new "Hero Team", and attacks Iori, robbing him of his purple flames.

-Eventually, a larger plot develops- Ash is the descendant of Saiki, and the childhood acquaintance of Elisabeth Blanctorche, a later character of great importance. And all of his actions here are to join "Those From The Past" and gain Saiki's trust... all to steal Saiki's soul. Desiring to end the Saiki bloodline, Ash annihilates the villain, but Saiki's essence overwhelms him, turning him into "Evil Ash". Saiki creates a Time Portal to return to the past and start over, but Ash choosed to sacrifice himself to kill the villain- the gate closes, and Saiki is erased from time... along with Ash, his descendant. He apologizes to Elisabeth before disappearing, leaving Chizuru & Iori's powers behind. This gives the unpopular Ash a hero's end, and made some people sympathetic to his plight. Ash manages to return in KoF XV, having been brought back by time-travel shenanigans alongside many other past fighters.

-Ash's fighting style is very powerful, involving charging, Anti-Air and "poking" attacks that keep the opponent at bay, like his Blasts. All his moves are named for months of the French Revolutionary Calendar, and cause the opponent to glow with green fire- a pretty cool visual effect.

EVIL ASH
First Appearance:
King of Fighters XIII
Game Appearances: King of Fighters XIII (1/5 games since debut)
Role: Powered Up Version
PL 11 (199)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 15 DEXTERITY 3

Skills:
Acrobatics 9 (+14)
Athletics 9 (+12)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+17)
Deception 9 (+11)
Expertise (Martial Arts) 8 (+10)
Insight 3 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Chi) 6 (+13)

Advantages:
Assessment, Defensive Attack, Diehard, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed) 3, Improved Critical (Dark Thrust), Improved Critical (Rapids of Rage) 2, Improved Critical (Fire Spin) 2, Improved Critical (Wicked Chew) 2, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Power Drain" Weaken Powers 5 (Extras: Continuous +3) Linked to Variable 4 (Flaws: Limited to the Powers of Others, Limited to Stolen Powers) [40]
"Green Flames" Features 1: Adds Fire to Unarmed Damage [1]

"Ventose- Green Sonic Boom" Blast 5 (Reduced Defenses -2, Diminished Range -1) (5) -- [8]
  • AE: "Nivose- Green Somersault Kick" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: +2 to Hit Jumping Opponents) (Inaccurate -1) (2)
  • AE: "Genie- Invisible Blown Kiss" Blast 3 (Feats: Subtle 2, Accurate) (Reduced Defenses -2, Diminished Range -1) (4)
  • AE: "Germinal Capriche- Charging Attack" Strength-Damage +2 (Inaccurate -1) (1)
Offense:
Unarmed +19 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Special Moves +17 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Dark Thrust +15 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Rapids of Rage +18 (+4 Damage & Affliction, DC 19 & 14)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +17 (DC 27), Parry +18 (DC 28), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +6, Will +9

Complications:
Enemy (Saiki)- Ash wishes to destroy Saiki, even at the cost of his own life.
Relationship (Elisabeth Blanctorche)- The two were very close as children, and he views her as a big sister, even while she tries to hunt him down.

Total: Abilities: 72 / Skills: 58--29 / Advantages: 21 + 11 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 24 (199)

-Evil Ash is a powered-up version of Ash after absorbing Saiki's power- his Ventose is faster and black, and all the other moves are sped up, too.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

I think that as of XIV, Ash's soul has been brought back after the defeat of Verse (as Ash and Saiki being erased is apparently what caused Verse's creation), but who knows if they'll actually do anything with that in the next game. And while Raiden was definitely hated when MGS2 came out, I think some people have a better outlook of him now. (though that's likely entirely because of MGS4 making him the new Cyborg Ninja, and then him getting an excellent game of his own in Metal Gear Rising:Revengeance.)
Woodclaw

Re: Malin

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:47 am
Her Demon Arachnid move is a weird one- a spinning yo-yo hovers in mid-stage. This is tricky to stat up in M&M terms, since a stationary spinning object isn't that dangerous, but in a Fighting Game, it controls the movement aspect of the game, which is 70% of the game. So I just made it a Blast instead.
I think you can model it as an Area Damage effect with Trigger (proximity), same as a landmine.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)