Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Rifts Africa

Post by Jabroniville »

ImageImage

RIFTS WORLD BOOK FOUR- AFRICA (1993):
-And now we finally come to one of the most notorious, maligned and forgotten books in the Rifts line- Rifts Africa. Most of the early books have a bit of poor material in them- having splurged on the Main Rulebook, the creators kind of threw out whatever idea they could think of into the early books (featuring Vampires, England & Africa), but had little left in the tank. It took the infusion of some new blood (like CJ Carella, Vince Martin & Ramon Perez) to shake things up and start going "okay, so we can do LITERALLY EVERYTHING- why not try?"). So these early books are... quite poor.

Rifts Africa suffers from the same thing a lot of early books do- poor Wayne Breaux art before he got any good. Poorly-thought-out classes. Poor R.C.C.s (Tree People and Agogwes?). Unnecessary "also Magic, but different" classes. "Take something from a foreign culture and make a class out of it" thought. Add to that the sheer cringiness of a bunch of white guys designing a setting around "Noble Savage" archetypes, and it's pretty bad. The book has even been accused of racism- given that there's an actualy PYGMY R.C.C., this might have some basis in reality. But it's more the "Clumsy Dumb Nerdy Guy" kind of racism, and still nowhere near as cringey as Rifts Spirit West, which was basically "Indians are savages, but boy are they morally the most superior people on Earth".

The book also has that weird Palladium thing where "two and a half good ideas" got thrown together, whether or not they fit, into one setting. So about 25% of this book involves the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, the brand-new "Big Bads" of the setting, meant to be ultimate evils that face down against all humanity, lest armageddon erupt. Another 25% is based around the Gods of Egypt, as they realize that "Gods are Real" is totally a thing that could and should be explored, and Egypt's in Africa, so why not? And then it's 50% pages about tribes and stuff.

One of the more annoying things is how they waste AN ENTIRE HUGE CONTINENT on a single book, which shows you the kind of weird thought processes going on at Palladium at the time, and kind of how a lot of Westerners view Africa as this monocultural thing. I mean, countless other nations are described in books of their own. The New German Republic, England, Japan, Mexico, and later Canada & Australia all got tons of infromation revealed in very focused books. There are TWO books about China and Russia! America itself of course has a swack of books just about individual regions (the Magic Zone, two in the Wild West, Texas, Chi-Town, etc.). Even South America, the closest thing to "the whole continent explained at once", got two books. But Rifts Africa shoves everything on the continent into one small-ish book, then you pretty much never hear from it again.

The book... did not really go over well. The art is bad, the O.C.C.s & R.C.C.s boring, the cultural content is cringey at best and misguidedly racist at worst, and they just didn't do much "I REALLY want to play this!" stuff here. And so Rifts Africa kind of got forgotten, though the Horsemen were mentioned a few other times.
Woodclaw

Re: Rifts Africa

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:08 pm One of the more annoying things is how they waste AN ENTIRE HUGE CONTINENT on a single book, which shows you the kind of weird thought processes going on at Palladium at the time, and kind of how a lot of Westerners view Africa as this monocultural thing. I mean, countless other nations are described in books of their own. The New German Republic, England, Japan, Mexico, and later Canada & Australia all got tons of infromation revealed in very focused books. There are TWO books about China and Russia! America itself of course has a swack of books just about individual regions (the Magic Zone, two in the Wild West, Texas, Chi-Town, etc.). Even South America, the closest thing to "the whole continent explained at once", got two books. But Rifts Africa shoves everything on the continent into one small-ish book, then you pretty much never hear from it again.

The book... did not really go over well. The art is bad, the O.C.C.s & R.C.C.s boring, the cultural content is cringey at best and misguidedly racist at worst, and they just didn't do much "I REALLY want to play this!" stuff here. And so Rifts Africa kind of got forgotten, though the Horsemen were mentioned a few other times.
Unfortunately, that's nothing new. As far as I can remember a lot of books, not just RPG supplements jumped head-first into this specific trap. Hell, even Vampires: Black Kingdoms, the "African handbook" for Vampire the Masquerade pretty much handwaved a lot of stuff because "nobody knows jackshit about Africa".
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

African Witch

Post by Jabroniville »

AFRICAN WITCH O.C.C.
Role:
Evil Manipulator
PL 8 (148 + Magic)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3/6 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+7)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+3)
Treatment 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Gear), Ranged Attack 3, Ritualist

Powers:
"Creatures of the Night" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Vision Counters Concealment 4) [5]

"Kin to Snakes"
Immunity 1 (Snake Venom) [1]
Create Magic Snakes" Summon Snakes 7 (Cobra/Rattlesnake with -2 Toughness & Damage 5-13 Bites & Insidious) (Extras: 7 Minions +6) (Flaws: Side-Effect- Damage -2) [42]

"Eat Away Life Energy" Weaken All Abilities 8 (Extras: Broad, Simultaneous) (Flaws: Limited to When Asleep, Limited to 1 Point Per Night) Linked to Affliction 8 (Will; Dazed/Compelled/Transformed to Thrall) (Extras: Progressive +2) (Flaws: Limited to Nearly Drained Victims -2) (16) -- [17]
  • AE: "Spit on Snakes" Weaken Stamina 10 (Extras: Ranged) (Flaws: Limited to Snakes -2) (Diminished Range -2) (3)
Senses 3 (Detect Life Drain Victims- Ranged, Tracking) [3]
Enhanced Stamina 3 (Flaws: Source- Drained Victims) [3]

"Lycanthropy"
"M.D.C. Being" Protection 2 (Flaws: Source- Night) [1]
Morph 1 (Large Snake) (Feats: Metamorph) (Flaws: Source- Night) (5) -- [9]
  • AE: Morph 1 (Dog) (Feats: Metamorph) (Flaws: Source- Night) (5)
  • AE: Morph 1 (Panther) (Feats: Metamorph) (Flaws: Source- Night) (5)
  • AE: Morph 1 (Ram) (Feats: Metamorph) (Flaws: Source- Night) (5)
  • AE: Morph 1 (Goat) (Feats: Metamorph) (Flaws: Source- Night) (5)
"Magic" (1 Spell every 2 Levels)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3 (+6 Boost, +10 M.D.C. Boost), Fortitude +5 (+8 Boosts), Will +4

Complications:
Reputation (Evil)- Witches are hunted by good men wherever they go.
Disabled (Insane)- As time goes on, Witches must roll on Palladium's beloved Insanity Tables.

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 30--15 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 81 + Magic / Defenses: 8 (148 + Magic)

-Witches are the "Evil Class", suggested as an NPC villain and not for players, even though they're hardly overpowered, just mean. "Always an agent of evil!", they are typically seen enslaving villages or being the leader of an evil village, and their arch-enemies are the Medicine Men who serve good. They associate with evil spirts and delight in causing pain to others, and are "hunted without mercy". Some of their links with snakes is so weird as to likely be from a specific source, though I can't find it.

-They actually get a BOATLOAD of powers, gaining both enhanced Hit Points from draining thralls nightly, but an M.D.C. Animal Form at night. Though not powerhouses, and with only a smattering of spells, they'd make solid "Roleplaying "enemies. Often removing the curses they can inflict takes some effort or cleverness.
Jabroniville

Witch Spells

Post by Jabroniville »

SPELLS OF THE AFRICAN WITCH:
* African Witches gain a handful of evil curses, most of which are more "roleplaying-themed" than "effective in combat. They also have a few dozen spells available from the main rulebook. However, they may only select one spell and Level 1, and only add another for every two levels- they're unlikely to ever have more than 9.

"Charge Object With Evil" Curses an object after a lengthy ritual- curses include blindness, sickness, poison, bad luck, etc. Must be offered by the Witch, and she cannot lie about it- just be evasive.
"Delirium" Creates confusion- often causes random insanity, confusion, forgetfulness, delusions of grandeur, etc.
"Evil Eye" Headache, sneezing, pox, etc.
"Magic Drums" Drum sounds make others nervous or jumpy, hurting their initiative (-4) and to-hit rolls (-2).
"Money Doubling" Creates an illusion of doubling her or another's money, for means of trickery.
"Pestilence Touch" Cause food or a corpse to rot instantly and create disease.
"Poison Touch" Makes any food or drink poisonous (+5-13 in level!).
"Summon & Control Biting Insect Swarm" Creates massive (600ft.) swarms of insects that cause +2 damage and impede visibility.
"Summon & Control Locust Swarm" Creates massive (600ft.) swarms of crop-destroying insects.
"Summon & Control Drought" Creates massive (600ft.) drought.
"Summon & Control Heat Wave" Creates massive (600ft.) heat wave (12 hours/level).
"Taboo" Creates an area or object that carries a powerful curse- MUST announce it ahead of time or leave warnings. Includes similar stuff to the previous curses, but also Marked For Death (constantly hated by evildoers), Haunted (ghosts haunt them) and Death (will die within 6D6 days). Incurable save from a Medicine Man.
Jabroniville

Medicine Man

Post by Jabroniville »

MEDICINE MAN O.C.C.
Role:
Noble Savage
PL 6 (98 + Magic)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Dancing) 4 (+6)
Insight 3 (+6)
Perception 3 (+6)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+3)
Treatment 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Gear), Ranged Attack 3, Ritualist, Tracking, Trance

Powers:
"Sees Bad Medicine" Senses 2 (Bad Medicine Awareness- Acute) [2]
"Recognizes Footprints of Werebeasts" Senses 2 (Supernatural Awareness- Acute) (Flaws: Limited to Prints) [1]
"Recognize Mind Control" Senses 2 (Mind Control Awareness- Acute) [2]
"Recognize Magic" Senses 2 (Magical Awareness- Acute) [2]
Immunity 3 (Possession, Magic Snakes of Witches) [3]
Enhanced Will +2 (Flaws: Limited to vs. Mind Control) [1]
"Spirit Guardian" Features 1: May Summon Spirit Guardian [1]

"Medicine Stick" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [11]
Immunity 5 (Witch's Bad Medicine) (5)
Enhanced Parry 1 (1)
Enhanced Fortitude 2 (2)
Enhanced Will 2 (2)
"Strike With Stick" Damage 11 (Flaws: Damage 4 to Non-Magical Beings) (8)
-- (18 points)

"Magic" (Globe of Daylight, Ignite Fire, See the Invisible, Sense Evil, Armor of Ithan, Taboo, Remove Taboo)

"Psionics" (Clairvoyance, Empathy, Presence Sense, See the Invisible, Sense Evil, Sixth Sense, Psychic Diagnosis, Mind Block)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2 (+7 Light M.D.C. Gear), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Doing Good)- Medicine Men help people, cure the sick, advise others, and hunt evil.
Power Loss (Magic)- All Magic requires the expenditure of P.P.E. Greater spells require more.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 23 + Magic / Defenses: 9 (98 + Magic)

-The "Good Guy" Wizard, Medicine Men are a combination of hero, detective, advisor and doctor, and typically combat the evil Witches. They have a mix of magic & psionics, and much is made of how good they are to their communities (places under 1000-strong tend to have only one; cities can have numerous ones). Their powers are pretty minor, and often Anti-Witch in nature.

CHARMS & AMULETS:
* A key class features is the creation of these charms & amulets in costly, lengthy rituals.

"Kifaalu Taboo Horn" Undead may not attack him, and it casts a taboo on supernatural foes that do so.
"Horns of Divining" May find people.
"Magic Wings" Wings give Flight 5, Parry +1, Dodge +3. Huge PPE Cost.
"Protection Against Witch's Life Drain" Immunity.
"Protection From Disease". +2 resistance.
"Protection Against Witches" +2 to all resistance. Area Effect requires more PPE.
"Witch Lure" Lures witches or their magic snakes.
Jabroniville

African Rain Maker

Post by Jabroniville »

AFRICAN RAIN MAKER O.C.C.
Role:
Noble Savage
PL 9 (93 + Magic)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Astronomy) 5 (+7)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Persuasion 4 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+3)
Treatment 3 (+5)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Sense Water Purity" Senses 3 (Water Sense- Analytical) [3]
"Divine Water" Senses 2 (Water Detection- Ranged) (Flaws: Source- Dousing Rod) [1]
"Sense Elementals & Change" Senses 7 (Elemental Awareness- Ranged, Sense Weather- Ranged 3 & Acute) [7]
"Mega-Damage Lightning" Blast 11 (Feats: Extended Range 2, Accurate) (Flaws: Source- Rain) [14]

"Magic" (All Rain Making Rituals, Blinding Flash, Globe of Daylight, Thunderclap, Breathe Without Air, Armor of Ithan; May Learn Normally)

Offense:
Mega-Damage Lightning +7 (+11 Ranged Damage, DC 26)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +2 (+7 Armor), Fortitude +4, Will +4

Complications:
Power Loss (Magic)- All Magic requires the expenditure of P.P.E. Greater spells require more.

Total: Abilities: 36 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 25 + Magic / Defenses: 8 (93 + Magic)

-African Rain Makers are the blessed ones who can do "Rain Dances", which are really a list of seven spells too expensive to ever use much. It's all environmental stuff. They are said to be mercenary sorts who go from community to community- the wealthiest ones are usually the most honest, and charge fairly for their services. They charge little to poor communities, and accept large gifts from rich ones, often having wives & families in each of their varied towns. Evil Rain Makers are blackmailers who threaten bad weather or "Bad Medicine" upon those who fail to give them great rewards.

-Rain Makers are low-level fighters like most, but can cast PL 9-worthy lightning during rain storms.

CHANTS & DANCES:

Rain Magic:
* Only accomplished by the Rain Makers. Most of these are HILARIOUSLY expensive, so much so as to be useful. 200-500 P.P.E. is common. So you'd have to borrow energy from others.

"Rain Dance" Rains for 1 hour/level.
"Dance of Bad Medicine" Poisonous frogs, fish, slugs, etc. fall from the sky. Gives bad luck & lowers parry & dodge by 1 for days.
"Dance to Calm Storms" Calm or direct severe storms.
"Dance to Part Waters" Hold back or part lakes, rivers & floods.
"Dance to Ride the Lightning" Teleports for 1 mile.
"Dance of Stones" Creates a rain of tiny stones, causing minor damage and Environment-style afflictions.
"Dance of Weather Control" Alter winds, temperature, tornado gusts (Blast 6), create hail, fog, stop weather, etc.
Sidious

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Races of the Burbs! Devil Sloth! Rifts Africa!)

Post by Sidious »

this is the book with the first appearance of Necromancy isn't it?
I remember reading it and looking at the 4 horsemen you are suppose to stop and thinking "Not a chance in hell." Seriously, with thousands of MDC, how are characters suppose to fight them?

I honestly think that's a failing with the game overall. Your character/players are so low end on the power scale and they throw these HUGE monsters and big bads into the setting saying "if they aren't beaten the world is destroyed", but as players can't even get close to that level of power you're kind of left sitting in the dust taking out a minion or two and then forced to have the big fights off screen or just hand waved without the players getting the payoff of doing it themselves. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth is all.

Any idea on if you'll be doing Conversion Book 2: Pantheons of the Megaverse? I know you dislike converting up specific characters but I'd love to see your take on the Olympian Club.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Sidious wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:00 pm this is the book with the first appearance of Necromancy isn't it?
I remember reading it and looking at the 4 horsemen you are suppose to stop and thinking "Not a chance in hell." Seriously, with thousands of MDC, how are characters suppose to fight them?

I honestly think that's a failing with the game overall. Your character/players are so low end on the power scale and they throw these HUGE monsters and big bads into the setting saying "if they aren't beaten the world is destroyed", but as players can't even get close to that level of power you're kind of left sitting in the dust taking out a minion or two and then forced to have the big fights off screen or just hand waved without the players getting the payoff of doing it themselves. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth is all.
Yeah, it's a bit crazy. I think the Fatal & Friends people noticing that missiles were way overpowered was one way to handle it, but you'd have to overpower your characters INSANELY with the best gear ever to even have a hope of harming these guys.
Any idea on if you'll be doing Conversion Book 2: Pantheons of the Megaverse? I know you dislike converting up specific characters but I'd love to see your take on the Olympian Club.
I honestly love that book and all the Vince Martin redesigns of Modern Olympians (something I've been copying ever since- even my own Jabverse builds ape these quite distinctly). I'll probably do notes on it at some point, but I hate converting individual characters (particularly since Kevin S just dumps "all the spells" on so many of them). I might just ignore that part and handwave it away as "read the actual book".
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:29 am
I honestly love that book and all the Vince Martin redesigns of Modern Olympians (something I've been copying ever since- even my own Jabverse builds ape these quite distinctly). I'll probably do notes on it at some point, but I hate converting individual characters (particularly since Kevin S just dumps "all the spells" on so many of them). I might just ignore that part and handwave it away as "read the actual book".
I’ve was re-reading it at work, because why would I be working, and the Olympian Club has a definite CJ feel to them. Even the artwork is different from the Olympian and “Dark Olympus” builds. They also seem to be a bit more rounded in terms of backstory than a standard KS character.

It’s cool though, I started working them up for my FASERIP stuff. I’m just going to leave out most of the bs that goes with a Rifts character and try to boil it down to their essentials.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

actually most of the 4 horsemen were meant to be fought after the PCs went to England or atlantis for rune weapons or millennium tree weapons which did 4-8x damage against them or the like, and it would be presumed that the PCs were part fo the army of light put together to actually fight them.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

African Priest

Post by Jabroniville »

AFRICAN PRIEST O.C.C.
Role:
Noble Savage
PL 4 (72 + Magic)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Expertise (Music & Celebrations) 7 (+9)
Expertise (History & Lore) 8 (+10)
Insight 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+3)
Treatment 6 (+8)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Commune With Spirits" Comprehend 2 (Spirits) (Flaws: Source- Meditation) [2]
"Knows the Language of the Drums" Features 1: Understands Secret Messages of Drums [1]

"Ceremonies of Song & Dance" (All Ceremonies)

Offense:
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 34 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 3 + Magic / Defenses: 10 (72 + Magic)

-The African Priest is the designated storyteller, historian and lore person of most tribes in Africa, making them... kind of similar to the other two good Magical O.C.C.s, except this guy gets the special traits of "Chants & Dances"- ceremonies of magic and wonder that combine the P.P.E. of huge groups to cast many great changes. Some of them are pretty huge, but the costliness, ritual focus, and in-game lore ("they know not to pester the gods too much...") means that it's more utilitarian than combat-ready. Because Rifts, it notes that ONLY the Priests can cast most of these ceremonial spells, but the actual list includes no such rule, and even specifies some as being available to only certain O.C.C.s, including the Priest in their number. EDITING.

-They're meant to be Witch-Hunters, but are noticeably awful at that- inferior to the other three Magic O.C.C.s in every way.
Jabroniville

Dances & Chants

Post by Jabroniville »

CHANTS & DANCES:
* These are all posted under the Priest O.C.C.- Medicine Men may be the beneficiaries of the P.P.E. gathered by Priests, but any may cast them, unless noted otherwise.

"Chant of Blessing" Area Effect- +1-2 group bonuses against witchcraft, poison & initiative. 6 people per level.
"Chant to Control Ley Line Storms" May move active Ley Line Storms, and determine their point and reason of origin.
"Chant/Ritual of Divining" Divination- providing locations of allies, enemies or of the future.
"Chant of Exorcism" Protects an area or person from demonic entry. Typically done by Medicine Men only; Priests are likely to be attacked by the demons.
"Chant/Ritual to Remove Taboo" The only way to get rid of the taboos- there are a HUGE amount of rules the victim of the Taboo curse has to carry out, such as proof of penitence and extra prayers- it may take "days, months, or even years".
"Chant of Warning" Creates a large "Horror Factor 11" effect to enemies over one mile. Hugely expensive considering some individual people match that just by their rep.
"Chant of Water Doubling" Doubles available water.
"Drums of Protection" Area +1 boost to Initiative & Saving Throws.
"Dance of Blessing Weapons" Turns S.D.C. weapon damage to Mega-Damage against M.D.C. foes. Is removed when the wielder it was made for dies. Most become invincible weapons and ranged ones get more range. Swords do double-damage, Axes get +1 to strike & parry, etc. Costs 890 P.P.E. to cast.
"Dance to Chase Away Evil Spirits & Witches" All witches & evil spirits within a half-mile per level of the Priest are wracked with pain (Affliction- Paralysis for 1/day per level of the channeller of the spell).
"Dance of Flames" Ritual to give Immunity (Flames, Poison), S.D.C. to M.D.C. & +5 to all saves against Magic to those who jump into a bonfire while having faith in the caster. Lasts for 2 hours/level of Priest, but costs 700 P.P.E. to cast.
"Dance of Good Medicine" Creates various positive effects for 475 P.P.E. Usually just nice, useful things like ensuring a peaceful wedding, removing bitterness from fruit, ensuring good harvests, etc.
"Dance of Life" Gives bonuses to "Save vs. Coma", minor saves against Magic, and slight healing to groups.
"Dance of Protection From Bad Medicine" Protects an entire village from a witch, evil mage, or demon entering it for 24 hours/level of the Priest.
"Dance of War" Area boost to entire village- +1 to Initiative, Save vs. Horror & all Saving Throws. The enemy is -1 to hit, Defenses, Initiative & -2 to Save vs. Horror. As long as the drums beat, this is in effect, and goes for two miles.
"Dance to Close a Dimensional Rift" A highly-difficult spell that's easy to waste the 540 P.P.E. on- it closes a Rift.
Jabroniville

Necromancer

Post by Jabroniville »

Leave it to "Rifts" to finally make one of the classic "Evil Adversary" character types in fiction, and then give it their worst art with dumb skeletons and a dopey-looking hunched-over '80s dad.

THE NECROMANCER
Role:
Evil Corpse-Raiser, Body-Enhancer, Optional PC
PL 7 (109 + Magic, Summons & Limbs)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 4 (+5)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+8)
Perception 3 (+6)
Stealth 2 (+3)
Treatment 3 (+5)

Advantages:

Powers:
"Impervious to Vampires" Immunity 2 (Vampire Powers) [2]

"Additional Appendage Grafting"
Extra Limbs 6 (Flaws: Source- Arms & Legs, Limited Duration) [2]
Enhanced Fighting 3 (Flaws: Source- Arms & Legs, Limited Duration) [2]

"Graft Horn"
Strength-Damage +2-6 (Flaws: Source- Animal Horns of Increasingly Difficult Obtainment, Limited Duration) [2]
Protection 5 (Flaws: Source- Animal Horns of Increasingly Difficult Obtainment, Limited Duration) [2]

"Graft Wings"
Flight 4 (Flaws: Source- Wings, Limited Duration, Winged) [2]
Protection 5 (Flaws: Source- Wings of M.D.C. Creature -2, Limited Duration) [2]

"Supernatural Being's Skull"
Variable (Powers of Dead Creature) 8 (Flaws: Source- Supernatural Skull -2, Unreliable, Limited to Half-Power) (24) -- [25]
  • AE: "Dragon Skull" Protection 5, Comprehend (Languages) 2, Immunity 5 (Fire Damage), "Breath Weapon" Blast 10-13 (Feats: Variable Depending on Dragon Type) (Flaws: Source- Dragon's Skull -2, Unreliable) (8)
"Animate & Control the Dead" Summon 4 (4 Bodies/Level, Variable- Corpse Types, Controlled, Source- Corpses)

"Union With The Dead" Ties Limbs To Their Body & Gains Animal Limb (Tentacle: +1 to hit & Damage & +4 Climbing; Rodent: +1 Strike & Parry, Cat: +2 Strike & Parry, +2 Stealth, +6 Climbing, +2 Damage; Canine: +1 to Strike & Damage; Bear/Mustelid: +1 Strike & Parry, +2 Damage; Bird Talons: +1 Strike & Parry, +2 Damage; Dragon Claws: +1 Strike & Parry, do +11 Damage & gain Impervious to Fire & +7 Toughness overall; Non-Magical M.D.C. Creature: Do +7 Damage; Hooves: Leaping & Speed 2; Kilin: Damage 7, Leaping & Speed 3; Unicorn: like Kirin +2 Damage; Primate: Use Feet as Hands & +6 Climbing)

"Magic" (6 Necromancy Spells, 6 Common Spells related to Necromancy- more may be added at any time)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Extra Limbs +6-8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +1

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3 (+4-9 w/ Grafted Items), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 39 + Animate + Union + Magic / Defenses: 8 (109 + Magic, Summons & Grafts)

-Finally, we have a Necromancer in Rifts. Almost universally evil, these Mages are primarily from Europe & Africa, owing to the vile influence of Pharaoh Rama-Set, Gods of Darkness, and other supernatural forces in the region. They deal in death, blood sacrifice, and the attachment of limbs to their own bodies for additional power. Naturally, this is an "Optional Character"... except the Witch is a straight-up NPC class, because reasons.

-Necromancers have a LOT of power variation, largely drawing from the attachment of dead body parts to their own bodies- these can involve great fighting enhancements (up to three pairs of limbs boosts attacks & accuracy by +3 in-game), extra damage from horns, extra speed from animal legs, and even power boosts if you use a Dragon's head or something from another supernatural creature. These are steep costs, and run out of magic soon like most spells, AND involve a baseline casting (takes about a round), so it's a limited way to get more powerful.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts Africa- Rain Maker! Medicine Man! Priest!)

Post by Spectrum »

So, any good stories on why there were two covers for Africa?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Sidious

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts Africa- Rain Maker! Medicine Man! Priest!)

Post by Sidious »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:27 pm So, any good stories on why there were two covers for Africa?
The Blue one is First Edition, the red is Second ed. It had a minor update in the book so KS decided to put out another version. (Mo money! Mo money! Mo Money!)